Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 5

FTA--What's the Kings Troop? just curious...is it a military thing? forgive my ignorance.

Well, it's been raining rhinos & elephants all day over here (way more than just lil old cats & dogs). If anyone watched the Rose Parade this morning you could see it coming down pretty good. And then the wind started...my SU had to work today so I taped the parade for him but the power went out about 5 times so I have no idea how much of the parade I actually got. And then the satellite kept pooping out cuz of the wind...it's been interesting.

I haven't been to the barn yet today, just hanging around the house trying to catch up on sleep, doing laundry, all the boring mundane stuff that I never get a chance to do. I can only imagine what I'll find when I get over there later. Poor Jag was pretty wet last night when I was there, I need to take him a dry blanket tonight. Pokey's just fine in his, he's not as much of a water-lover as Jag is.

Couldn't even get on the computer earlier because of the constant power ins and outs.

Oh DQ, it is nasty horrible weather, isn't it? Our neighbors, landlord and good friends next door lost their grandmother, who lived with them, first thing this a.m. so the paremdics and sheriff were all over there.

When I got to the stables, the dressage arena was mostly in my horse's stall, along with the biggest tumble weed I ever saw. So myself and my friend who boards there, went around cleaning up the arena, stacking it, so it wouldn't blow away anymore and general clean up. One horse's shelter blew down and he appeared injured. We told the hired hand who lives on the place to get ahold of the owners. He was clearly injured on his back leg. No blood or immediate swelling, but he did appear sore on his back leg.

Then I went to Target and the power went out 3x's while I was in there.

Made it home and now I am downloading songs into my husbands I pod that I gave him for Christmas!!

Hope everyone else's day is going well!

[ 01-03-2006, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

It poured here yesterday. Cold, half frozen pelting rain. And a lot of wind.

I decided to go riding, because my New Years resolution is to ride Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and weekends.

Well I went to get Santanna, who lives outside, and didn't seem to mind standing in the rain seeing as he chose not to use his shelter and I put the lead rope on and he wouldn't move. It was as if he was saying "No, mom, lets stand in the rain"

By the time I got him in, I was soaked through my jacket, my shirt, my boots and very cold.

I got him in the arena, lunged him and he was nutso. The wind forcing the rain against the arena was loud and apparently indicated a horse eating monster. I got on and we went flying around out of control for quite some time. So, I ended up devoting the majority of my time to in-hand work.

*sigh* Why can't it just snow. It is winter after all. And snow is quiet.

I can't relate. It's been nearly 80 degrees here this past week! [Eek!] I am loving it. It's like being back in CA. There are even fires everywhere to make it feel more authentic. And CA is underwater right now...go figure. [Confused] I guess the weather is kind of backwards right now! We could really use the rain, seeing as there is a major hay shortage here and I paid more than double what we paid last year for hay.

Yeah, the sun is back out today and the arena has such good footing in it, I will be able to ride today. It rained for two days here and everyone freaks out! [big Grin] To funny. When we lived in TN it rained all the time. If I did not board somewhere that had an indoor, I would have never been able to ride. Not a problem here.

Wild Oaks, that is northern, Cal, that is under water. They have had serious flooding problems for the past couple of winters. Down here in So. Cal, it rained, but no serious problems and we can sure always use the rain! I have lived here for just over 3 months now and it has rained only 3 times. Compared to TN that is nothing. Makes it nice for outside riding, but still would like to move back to TN.

WO--Been hearing on the news about TX & OK burning...so sad. Hope the storms we had here yesterday are heading your way, at least. [Confused]

Boo--I hate when we have no power. You don't really appreciate what comforts electricity provides until it's not there. Fortunately it doesn't happen often and yesterday it was for a few minutes here and there, but there's nothing I can do...I can't even get my cars out of the garage! Oh I probably could get the door open but not without some help.

Even the phone doesn't work...just my cell, but when there's a systemic kind of emergency going on often those are hard to use too. Makes me want to re-think the emergency plan for home. I can only wonder about the folks that got hit by Katrina and other big disasters....my issues are pretty small.

When I got to the barn, Jag was dry as a bone and Pokey's stall looked like he'd had a few friends over [Eek!] ...plus his "out" half was under 6 inches of water. [Mad] I keep complaining to the property owner to do some regular, routine maintenance but she waits until it turns into a major emergency before she reacts. [Roll Eyes]

As long as her big-time AQHA show horses are okay she's oblivious. [Mad] Makes me crazy.

Hey everyone,

On Sunday it was POURING down rain, then lots of hail. I was feeding all the horses that night, so, to say the least, I was glad I brought my rain coat. At one point the wind was so bad that I could barely open one of the horse's gates...!

I also rode Sunday, and boy did Alibi get lunged! She apparently needed it as well...but when we got on, there was a large gust of wind and bam, she was off like a little rocket! [Roll Eyes] She felt like a ticking time bomb, lol (not so funny when I was on!)

Its raining here now, but thank God the horse I am leasing is in stall board (his owner and I split the costs), so when I have my lesson tonight I'll just have to walk into a dry stall, versus going on a past-your-ankles-in-mud trek.

[smiley Wavey]

DQ, I hope you are drying out. I know what you mean about barnlords waiting till the last minute on things and as long as their own horses are ok.............. [Crazy]

Wasn't today gorgeous though?

I just got back from riding. First ride in 10 days. My Mom was here for Christmas, so saw my horse every day and turned him out but didn't get to ride. Today's ride was awesome!!! The 10 days off did us both good! If we could ride like that every day............

Hope some of that rain went to TX and OK. My MIL lives in OK, but she said she is fine where she lives. The fires are east of her. [Roll Eyes]

The "big" fires haven't been near us, thank goodness! Although there have been several small ones, even one down the street! But that's nothing new...three houses in a 1/2 mile radius burned down here in the last few months...and there isn't enough water in the water lines to put them out. [Roll Eyes] So we are really hoping for some rain! The worst part for me is the hay shortage. Hay is more than double what it cost last year.

Glad to hear you guys aren't in the floods.

Boocoo when I lived in San Diego it would go MONTHS without raining. It's actually pretty amazing to have three storms in three months in socal! It is funny though, everyone freaks out...kind of like how I freak out here when it rains. [Razz] I guess I will always be a California girl at heart.

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Oaks Farm:

Boocoo when I lived in San Diego it would go MONTHS without raining. It's actually pretty amazing to have three storms in three months in socal! It is funny though, everyone freaks out...kind of like how I freak out here when it rains.
[Razz]
I guess I will always be a California girl at heart.

That's how it was when I lived in Tucson. Never rained. Our horse shows were never rained out. Then we moved to Tennessee and they always got rained out. I still really liked it there though. And the year we were there, everyone said was an unusually wet, wet year. So maybe if we ever get the chance to move back there, it will only rain 2x's a week instead of 5?

[ROTFL]

Everyone here says the same thing. Last winter was a horribly wet winter and they hardly ever get that much rain.

I think our earth is drastically changing, is what I think!

Sounds like you guys are having some wierd weather! We just had 6inches of snow (although its all melting now... grr)... woot!

Deequeue - The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery is part of the Household Troops - include the firing of Royal Salutes in Hyde Park on Royal Anniversaries and State Occasions, and providing a gun carriage and team of black horses for State and Military funerals. Im really looking forward to joining up.

Did everyone have a good Christmas? My nets been down so I havent been able to get online.

Hope everyone has a successful dressagey 2006!

quote:

Originally posted by Fear them all:

The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery is part of the Household Troops - include the firing of Royal Salutes in Hyde Park on Royal Anniversaries and State Occasions, and providing a gun carriage and team of black horses for State and Military funerals. Im really looking forward to joining up.

Wow, FTA...sounds pretty exciting! [big Grin] I was just reading an article in one of the horse magazines about the Queen's stables and her preferences, and the different activities and areas that she has horses for. I wonder when the succession passes to the next ruler if the same emphasis will be there. I sure hope so. Congrats on your new adventure!

quote:

Originally posted by Fear them all:

[QB]Sounds like you guys are having some wierd weather! We just had 6inches of snow (although its all melting now... grr)... woot!

Deequeue - The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery is part of the Household Troops - include the firing of Royal Salutes in Hyde Park on Royal Anniversaries and State Occasions, and providing a gun carriage and team of black horses for State and Military funerals. Im really looking forward to joining up.

That's so cool! What a neat thing to get involved in.

I had a great time last saturday hanging around my trainer's home barn, and watching lessons, then taking one of my own. I got to watch a lesson where the rider worked on many movements, even nailing her first walk pirouette on her new mount. The horse was wonderful, and I'm extremely excited since I get to ride him next time I go out. He is a 19 year old 2nd level school master, and I am officially in love with him. After that I got to take a lesson on a very fun TB. He was very speedy at the beginning, since I was not effectively using my seat. It was fun to figure him out, since he was exceptionally responsive to my correct riding. Being a schooled mount, he was much different from my greenie, and I really got a feel for the developed canter, as well as a strong contact and seat aids. We finished up the lesson by practicing lengthning and collecting him along the walls. Plus, I got to ride in a Schleese (sp?) dressage saddle, which I am officially in love with.

Overall I learned quite a bit, which hopefully I'll be able to translate into some solid work on my own horse. I got a real feel for a correctly moving horse, which I had been lacking riding strictly my greenie. I then applied some of the new things I had learned, and found my horse very responsive to it.

Right now my guy is basically out of commission due to a variety of problems. He has a vet appointment coming up, but right now he is happy (at least at the walk and trot) bareback. His work on the lunge is troubling, since he seems stiff through his hocks at the canter. This may come from his balance issues, since he is moving out freely at the canter while under saddle and free in the pasture. Hopefully the vet can shed some light on things for me.

CrazyJumper: Congrats on your ride! Sounds like fun. Good lessons & learning new things are always pretty fun. I hope your greenie is okay. Keep us updated!

[smiley Wavey]

Thanks guys!

I have a bit of a problem and I wondered if any of you could give me some advice. As you know Im selling my 5yo and Ive got someone whose is really interested in him (and I know him) but his parents havent made up their minds yet. Someone else called about him today (who I know also) but I dont want to sell him to her because I know she'll sell him if they dont get on and shes a shoddy rider, but thats neither here nor there. My point is, do I wait for my friend to give me an answer which could possibly be a no or do I sell him to somebody I dont really like? I have to sell him asap because of joining the army and I recently quit my job so I have no money coming in to be able to pay for him.

Im so lost (realising that that probably didnt make much sense lol).

That is a hard choice to make. I don't think I could sell my horse to someone I did not like. However, the money is always an issue. When will the friend you do like be able to give you an answer? I would probably hold off for him, if I really didn't like the other buyer. But, will this other buyer that you don't like give him a good home? Will she at least take care of him?

[Mad]

VENT: On.

Ok, so I am paying WAY above the average for board where I have Layla. Its a training and boarding facility. Three barns, a HUGE covered and lighted arena (which NO one else has here), etc etc. Blanketing is included in board. Well, their idea of blanketing.

Its been like in the 70s during the day and like 50s-40s at night. I have gone over and over which blankets are appropriate for Layla considering the weather. Does the BM do it? **** NO.

So last night, a cold front moved in. It was getting down to 28! What blanket did they have on her? The heavyweight SHEET, for 40 degree weather! WHAT THE FRUITBAT!!!

So I have to drive out there to put the right blanket on her and leave a nice note stating:

I had to come out and put the heavy weight blanket on Layla since it was getting down to 28 tonight. Since it wont be over 50 tomorrow, before you turn her out, will you pls put her heavy weight SHEET (the one hanging on the door) on her? Also, since its getting back down to the 30s tomorrow night, will you pls make sure she has the heavy weight BLANKET (the one she currently has on) on since she has no winter coat? Thanks so much! Shantel

Pretty nice and straight forward, eh? I guess not.

Since we were down in that area (met with the electrician at the house) I stopped by to see if she did it correctly.

My horse is outside and its 50 degrees in her heavy weight BLANKET, sweating b/c its too heavy for this weather!!!!

[bang Head][bang Head][bang Head]

So I grab her, take her up to the barn, the BM comes up bringing a horse in, doesnt say a word, b/c she sees me switching her into the correct sheet.

I left her heavy weight blanket right next to her stall since its going to need to be put on tonight. Will it? Not unless I come out to do it.

I have asked and asked and asked and she says OK but never does it! I am not going to have my horse SWEATING b/c the woman cant put the right sheet on or FREEZING b/c she cant read a NOTE!

Hopefully if the horse Sarah is having vetted vets clean, I will be moving her on the 14th. But I dont want to cause a big ruckus prior to my leaving. The BM is the only one out there during the day so Lord knows what she could do to my horse. Plus I still have to go out there to make sure shes doing everything properly.

I am going to talk to the BO before I leave. I dont feel I should have to pay full price board if Im not getting what Im paying for. Shes allowing me to leave in the middle of the month and prorating for the days Im there, so I dont want to cause too much of a fuss.

But geezus! How ****** stupid can someone BE?!

[Duh]

thats really hard Fear them All! [Frown] have you talked to your friends and told them this other person is interested?

i'd really want my horse to go to a good home where he'd be loved, thats what counts. best of luck with it [Huggy]

Boo and Doc - Thanks for your words, I do not believe that he wouldnt be looked after properly at the person who I dont not like's place - hence I am not going to sell him to her. She just gets on her horse and jumps immediatly.

When I asked earlier I didnt just mean this person in particular, but other people who might want to buy him... Im so scared that he wont be looked after correctly. I really want my friend to have him and hes trying really hard to persuade his dad, but everyday I have him I am spending more money out... money that I dont have (I left my job a week ago because I hated it) and now Im leaching off my mother... which I hate to do. I dont want to rush him, but Im beginning to get worried.

FTA, most responsible horse owners would not sell their horse to someone they are not comfortable with. I know money is going to get tight for you if you have left your job, but I'm sure your Mother understands that you are trying to sell the horse to a good home and you will soon be in the KT, which is awesome, btw. So for your own peace of mind, hold off until the right owner comes along! It will all work out, it always does! [Huggy]

FTA--I'm with Boo & BQD on this one. Go with your heart. I've had to sell due to finances before, a horse I swore I'd never sell, but one must do what one must do, which is the best we can.

WO--I have a similar problem w/ blanketing. Pokey gets his, Jag stands bare, it gets down to the 40s out there and even though he's not clipped (Pokey is), I still want a lightweight blanket on him. I'm trying to put some weight on him, I don't really want him burning calories to keep warm.

So on Fridays and Saturdays in particular he doesn't get blanketed unless I do it. [Roll Eyes] Drives me batty. I've spoken to my trainer, who is in charge of all this, and she says she's talked to the weekend girl but to no avail. I'll have to station myself there one night and catch her when she's there, tell her myself. How exasperating isn't it!

Well, the pics I took of Jag a week or so ago came out really crummy...it looks like I was up in a tree, he's just a speck on the horizon. [Mad] I'll have to try again, see if I can get him working in the round pen or something. Our arena is so big, unless he makes circles around me.... [Question] Anyways, I'll get pics posted as soon as I can. And I want some decent ones anyway...my boss gave me a beautiful leather frame for Christmas just for that purpose, so I'll just keep trying till I get some good ones.

Be patient with me... [surrender]

Sorry to disappear on you all, but you know the expression "worked to death" - well that's about it!! I was flat on my back in bed for the better part of last week with a NASTY stomach flu. I'm still not 100% over it, but at least I'm starting to eat solid foods again, and I'm back to riding after a week out of the saddle. Jack had to work New Year's Eve at the liquor store, but his cousins from Canada drove down to spend the long weekend with us, so I entertained until Jack got home at 11pm. We had a quiet night at home with family, then spent the rest of the weekend relaxing and enjoying good company. The boys returned from Virginia, and we had a second Christmas with them. Our company headed home early Monday morning, and by Monday evening, I was sick. I stayed home sick in bed for the next two days straight. Made it in to work Thursday and Friday, but went straight home to bed both nights (no riding). Saturday was an easy lesson with Julie who has also been sick all week, then right back to bed. Then Jack and I spent ALL DAY (11 hours straight) at the liquor store doing the annual inventory of the entire store yesterday - then straight home to bed. Still not totally right today, so it will be another day of straight home to bed for me. Not sure exactly what this is, but a lot of people around here are getting it, and it is taking A LONG time to shake it whatever it is. I am totally wiped out.

WOF - Glad to hear you have been getting in some good rides. Sounds like quite a scary experience out on the trail with the wire though!! What a test of trust.

Luvhorses - Doesn't it figure, just when you give up on one horse and move on to a new one, the one you have given up on suddenly starts behaving. Go figure!! Good luck with Teddy. Sounds like you are in for a fun show season this year.

SG - Glad the business trip went well and Santanna enjoyed his time off!!

Shantel - Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has been busy at work!!

FTA - Good luck in the Kings Troop!! That sounds like quiet the adventure. Sorry to hear you won't be able to keep Gizmo. That's very sad. What a tough choice to make. I agree with the others, hold off and wait on the person you like. If that doesn't pan out, other good homes will come along. Don't sell him to someone you are not comfortable with. You won't be happy with yourself if you do. I know you don't want to leech off your mom, but I'm sure she understands you are trying your best to find Gizmo a good home as fast as possible. Good luck and keep us posted.

DQ - Hope you have managed to bail Pokey out from under all that water!! Sounds like the west coast is getting drowned.

Crazyjumper - Sounds like a great lesson. It's always nice to have the opportunity to ride a horse with better schooling than your own so that you can work on yourself and see the effect it has on the horse. Hope your greenie's hocks are okay.

Shantel - I've had the same problem at boarding barns before. It is hard to find boarding barns that are capable of PROPERLY blanketing horses. I'm not sure why it is so blasted difficult to blanket them correctly, but it seems to be a small miracle when you find a barn capable of getting it correct (fortunately for Razzle, I seem to have found just such a barn). If I were you, since you are planning to move out mid-month, I would continue on as you are and not rock the boat. Then, when you are closer to leaving either write a nice, polite letter to the BO, or have a nice, non-confrontational telephone conversation with the BO letting him/her know what you have been having to do to keep your horse correctly blanketed and ASK for the final bill to be pro-rated "however the BO feels appropropriate", but don't through a fuss if the BO does not pro-rate anything for your blanketing efforts. As you said, the BO is already doing you a favor by letting you move out mid-month and pro-rating days, etc., and your beef is not with the BO, but rather with the BO's staff. So ask nicely, accept whatever is offered, and DON'T burn any bridges because you never know when you are going to need a barn to board at again for some reason.

DQ - How big are the pictures when they are scanned in?? Sometimes they get scanned in so huge that you can crop the excess out, leave just the horse and rider, and it is still a decent sized picture that looks like a close up - after the crop out. They may just need a little editing to be worthwhile.

PHEW!!! I think that gets me all caught up. Now, where on earth is Remmie at????

~Shelly~

Hey Shelly, good to see you back again! Ditto, where is Remmie?!

I did a seperate post on the below on the English & General Horse Talk boards, but what your guys' opinons on gel pads (Equigels in particular) vs. sheepskin pads (half pads)...? I ordered an Equigel for the horse I lease, though I'll use it on my Arab, Alibi...my trainer uses them with all the horses she owns/trains, and she really likes them. Another woman who used to board her horse at the same barn I do (she still rides there) uses the half pads (I believe the brand is Fleeceworks). She likes them better because they are more lightweight and seem to provide more comfort. What are your opinons?

[smiley Wavey]

I have both the gel pad and the Fleeceworks pad. The biggest difference between the two pads is the tickness, so it depends on how your saddle fits your horse. If your saddle fits your horse very well, you don't need either the gel pad or the half pad. If your saddle is slightly wide for your horse, then the gel pad is a good option. If your saddle has a good bit of roominess to it, then the Fleeceworks pad is a good option.

Be careful when adding extra padding to your saddle that you don't inadvertantly make your saddle too narrow for your horse and pinch him causing back pain (the very thing you thought you were trying to avoid). We see these fabulous products on the market and think how wonderful that would feel for my horse's back. Soothing gel or comfortable, soft wool, but remember that each layer of thickness you add makes your saddle that much more narrow. so first ask yourself if your saddle is WIDE ENOUGH to accomodate the extra padding.

I may have both the gel pad and the Fleeceworks pad, but I use neither because my saddle is as close to a perfect fit as I can get for Razzle. If I were to put either one on, my saddle would be too narrow, and the pads themselves would be causing Razzle back pain.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

quote:

Ditto, where is Remmie?!

she'll be back tomarrow!
[Wink]
Thanks for the update, Heather. I was a little worried. She's been MIA for awhile.

~Shelly~

Thanks for the great info. on saddle pads, Smithereens! My saddle fits my horse real well and I just use a regular pad, make sure I pull it up into the gullet and I have had no problems with it. I have had it a year now! Can you guys believe that? One year ago tomorrow was my first dressage lesson on a school master. Beau was still in training at that time. He had about a week to go, cause I remember I started riding him on the 17th of Jan. Anyway, back to the saddle pads. My friend at the barn has a friesen and he was real sore on his back, right at the end of her saddle panels. The saddle is a wide saddle, made for friesens and appears to fit him well. She bought a nice pad with half sheepskin built into it and used it today. She was able to pull it up into the gullet and when she was sitting her trot, the saddle appeared to spring with the horse, whereas before, it appeared to be resistant. Her saddle is definitely wide enough. I can see now, from reading your post, that if the saddle was not wide enough the pad would cause a problem.