Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 5

These pads are very deceptive because they are advertised specifically to prevent back pain, and HOW could gel or sheepskin CAUSE back pain??? But every layer you add between the horse and the saddle makes the saddle that much narrower.

When I got Razzle, my saddle was way too wide for him. I had to use two saddle pads and the thick fleeceworks half pad to get the correct fit of my saddle to Razzle's back. He had no muscletone and was still young and filling out. I worked him and within a year my saddle was the perfect fit for Razzle with just a single saddle pad and nothing else.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

One year ago tomorrow was my first dressage lesson on a school master. Beau was still in training at that time. He had about a week to go, cause I remember I started riding him on the 17th of Jan.

Happy Anniversary, Boocoo!! [big Grin]

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

A lot has happened in a year!!!

Isn't it great to be able to look back over the past year and look at all the progress we have made??? It makes it all worthwhile.

~Shelly~

sorry guys i guess it doesnt work unless you have a account there [Me Cry]

they were gatsbys racing videos, they were neat to watch lol, the first video was like 2 days before i got him. lol

DQ- hows your guy doing?

i'm taking pictures of gatsby at the barn tonight so i'll have an update for ya [Wink]

Jag's doing great, thanks for asking. [big Grin] I hope to get to ride him soon...he's still in kindergarten dressage right now. In the meantime I've got Pokey to ride till the end of the month, then he's leased out and moving to another stall, far away from where he is now. [Me Cry] I won't get to see him as often, as it's a schlep to where the lady leasing him wants to keep him.

We'll both be going through some separation stuff..he knows my car when I drive up and whinnies, you know how it is. [Me Cry] I don't even want to think about it right now.

But Jag's coming along. He's still such a baby though. He and I are getting to know each other, and he'll nicker to me sometimes when I walk up. But then I'm just the food lady, so who knows if it's recognition or a demand for treats... [Duh]

Well, yesterday was the first day my horses have had off that they actually *earned* in months. It felt good to give them a day off because they've been working hard, not because I didn't have time to ride. I'm re-prioritizing. Riding comes first, BEFORE sweeping the barn aisle or cleaning the big outside corrals. Or grocery shopping. Or cleaning the house. [big Grin] That's what weekends are for. And seeing as it's going to be in hte high 70's this weekend, I'll save as much outside work as possible for then because I love being outside in this weather!

DQ I hope you get to ride Jag soon! I'm sure you're dying to get on!

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

sorry guys i guess it doesnt work unless you have a account there

Well that's a shame. I'd like to see Gatsby's racing videos. I knew you got him fresh off the track, but I didn't realize you got him THAT fresh off the track!!! [Eek!]

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by deequeue:

He and I are getting to know each other, and he'll nicker to me sometimes when I walk up. But then I'm just the food lady, so who knows if it's recognition or a demand for treats...

Give it time, DQ. Most people will say that it takes about a year to really bond with a new horse, and since you aren't the one riding Jag right now, I'm sure your relationship is getting a little slower start. You will form a bond just like you have with Pokey, but it won't happen overnight. You are going to miss Pokey terribly, but once he is gone, you will be able to concentrate more fully on Jag, and your relationship with him will begin to blossom.

Hopefully you will start riding him soon because that will help as well, even if it is just simple walking exercises.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Oaks Farm:

I'm re-prioritizing. Riding comes first, BEFORE sweeping the barn aisle or cleaning the big outside corrals. Or grocery shopping. Or cleaning the house.
[big Grin]
That's what weekends are for.

There you go!! That's how to do it!! Glad to hear you have been getting in some good riding time.

~Shelly~

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

sorry guys i guess it doesnt work unless you have a account there

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's a shame. I'd like to see Gatsby's racing videos. I knew you got him fresh off the track, but I didn't realize you got him THAT fresh off the track!!!

yeah lol

Actually if you sign up for an account on the website(its free) you can look up and recent racing video from across the country. they have races from 04-06. Hes regisitred name is Pawn Shop Pistol, if anyone is still interested [big Grin]

Hey everyone! Haven't been on too, too much lately due to being busy with work and riding more regularly. I don't currently have time to catch up with all the posts on here.

So how is everyone?

I'm doing good. I made the decision to enroll in my company's 401k plan. I put myself down for 10% of every paycheck (I can raise the amount at any time). I could really use the extra 10% but, I really want to start investing now for retirement even though i'm only in my mid-twenties. [Embarrassed]

Very smart decision Santa. [Not Worthy]

DQ, sounds like Jag is doing well. Will he be ready to show in Intro at the April show?

I got my new dress boots yesterday and they sent the wrong ones. I ordered them with zippers and they sent ones without. Turns out, they actually sent the right onew for the price and had the wrong picture on their web site. Their mistake, so they are sending me out another pair with zippers!!!

Hey guys. Glad things are settling down for everyone.

Ive been so tired after work and riding I have just enough energy to post my pics and shuffle off to bed.

Things are going well. In a selling slump at work but its really only frusterating b/c Im being correct with the rules in my offers and not getting as much sales but others are saying things you cant say and getting more sales than me. I know in the long run, it will work out better for me, but still. It gets frusterating. I swear every pissed off anti sale person who calls Citi goes to my phone.

Layla is doing well. I got her a mullen mouth egg butt and tried it on her the other night (EQ Focus post) and she seemed to like it. We'll see.

I have 1 week and 1 day left in Training. I cant believe its been 5 weeks already! AGH!

Randy and I have a mini vacation planned for the 27-29 in Orlando. We have a King Suite reserved at the Royal Pacific Suites onsite at Universal. Its a STUNNING hotel. The suite we have is almost 700 sq ft. Normally $469/night, we got it for $223/night. Not bad plus the regular rooms were going to be $180/night, so whats $40 more for an incredible upgrade?

Plus with Citi, I got 2 day 2 park passes for $88 instead of $105. So I am planning on having a nice break away from everything.

Also, Sarah vetted a horse and hes clean. So on Saturday we go to get him and welcome him home. Im going to make a seperate post to introduce him.

Im going to do that and head to bed....

[smiley Wavey]

KrazyTBMare: I hope you vacation is a blast, sounds like you deserved it!

I rode my Arab mare today, and something is definitely up with her medically.

Everytime I touch parts of her neck and chest she twitches really, really bad and looks to be in pain. We kept our ride short today as she was not comfortable and acting up. I called the chiro as he is coming out tomorrow to do two or three horses so I am hoping he can fit her in! Keep your fingers crossed!

[smiley Wavey]

luv--hope you get some answers. I can't imagine what it could be...I'd probably be going bananas by now.

Krazy--haven't checked your new post yet, hope you have a nice few days away...sometimes that's all it takes, just enough to catch your breath and take a break.

Boo--I've been putting in some long hours at work and haven't been able to ride all week. I saw my trainer as she was leaving last night, she gave me a Jag update--says he's doing really really well. He's pretty smart--catching on to the drill. Says he's getting smoother and more consistent in his gaits, and she thinks I'll be able to ride him pretty soon.

As for showing, I know we'll be hauling him around just to let him hang out and get used to a dressage court, flapping things, all the hustle & bustle, that kind of thing. I don't know when she'll start showing him, but if things keep going along as they are it could be this year, later. [big Grin] Time and work will tell. I'm excited [Jump] just too tired right now to get physical about it. [Jump] The bouncing ball is about as energetic as I feel about now. [Roll Eyes]

SG - That is a very wise decision. It is never to early to start saving for your retirement.

Boocoo - You SCORED!! Congrats!! Good luck breaking your boots in. I HATE breaking in new boots. It's the worst!!!

Shantel - Keep at with the sales at work. I'm sure your numbers will pick up without having to resort to breaking the rules. Your upcoming vacation sounds DIVINE!!! Bet you can't wait to get away. How is that new house coming along?? How are the wedding plans coming along??

Luvhorses - Sorry to hear Alibi isn't feeling well. Those are certainly some odd symptoms. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

DQ - Sounds like Jag is doing great!!! So glad he is working out so well for you.

~Shelly~

quote:

Boo--I've been putting in some long hours at work and haven't been able to ride all week. I saw my trainer as she was leaving last night, she gave me a Jag update--says he's doing really really well. He's pretty smart--catching on to the drill. Says he's getting smoother and more consistent in his gaits, and she thinks I'll be able to ride him pretty soon.

As for showing, I know we'll be hauling him around just to let him hang out and get used to a dressage court, flapping things, all the hustle & bustle, that kind of thing. I don't know when she'll start showing him, but if things keep going along as they are it could be this year, later. Time and work will tell. I'm excited

[Yay] Go Jag! [Yay] That's great news. [smile]

The chiro never called back, but I hope he can fit Alibi in anyways.

If the chiro can't see Alibi, do you guys think I should have the equine massage therapist out? That might help to get her neck muscles more relaxed...? [Confused]

Boocoo new boots are exciting! I just got some new paddock boots (which means back to half chaps and out of my cheapy, uncomfortable tall boots) and I was thrilled.

DQ can we have some more Jag pics? Pretty please?

I just got an email this morning from someone in CA telling me that a very good friend's husband died last night. Well, he had a 5% chance of living with surgery and would be in a vegitative state, so they opted not for surgery and didn't think he would make it through the night. He was riding a motorcycle and was hit by a car that pulled out in front of him. He had just dropped his daughter off at school and was pulling out of her school. He always wore a helmet but the head trauma was too severe. His wife gave me a wonderful opportunity and let me teach lessons out of their private barn. She was so generous to me. They have a 14 year old daughter who I gave lessons too. I haven't heard yet if he made it through the night but it was very, very doubtful. I am waiting to find out more to see if a)there will be a service, and b)if I can make the service. I'm upset about this because it's a reminder of how quickly things can change for the worse. [Frown] I just wish I was closer and there was something I could do for them!

Smithereens, yeah, I scored! [big Grin] Pretty cool, eh? I saved about $25.00!!!

DQ, That would be great if Jag was showing later this year!!! I hope to come to the April show in Pomona!!

luvhorses, an equine massage therapist would be a great idea, if you can't get in with the chiro. Probably wouldn't hurt, even if you can!

Wild Oaks, that is so tragic about your friends husband. It is a reminder how fast things change. We lost my Dad unexpectedly 6 years ago and I tell you what, it knocks the wind out of your sails for a loooooong, looooong time. Sending prayers your friends way!

I wish the parents and drivers around my son's school would all slow down. They all completely ignore the school zone speed limit and drive so fast, whip in and out of the parking lot, gas on it, and have no regard for parents and students that are walking. It drives me crazy. [Crazy] Why does something tragic have to happen before people learn?

[ 01-13-2006, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Hey guys

Remember in November I mentioned that Gizmo was competing in the National Inter-school Eventers Challenge, but that it was cancelled? Well good news! Its happening on the 21st... next week! So Ill have loads of pics for you to see, and maybe even a video or two! Even though my sister is riding him, Im so excited! I rode him today and he was unbelievable... if he goes like he did today at the show they've got it in the bag lol.

Wow, now that Ive stopped sounding about 6 Ill continue lol...

Boo - Soory I didnt get to congratulate you earlier! You lucked out on the boot situation, good luck breaking them in... I hate it!

DQ - Glad your new guy is doing well. Its so exciting to see them progress. When do we get new pics?!

Smithereens - Thanks! I cant wait. Hows Razzle?

SG - Sounds like a smart idea to me!

Luvhorses - If you can't get the chiro, definitely get the massage therapist.

WOF - So very sorry to hear of your friend's husband. what an awful thing to have happen. [Huggy]

FTA - Can't wait to see all the pics of Gizmo cleaning up and that National Eventers Challenge!! Sounds like your sister does well with him. Any chance she could buy him from you?? That way you could keep him in the family.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by Fear them all:

Smithereens - Thanks! I cant wait. Hows Razzle?

He is doing really well. He got a bit of a break of the holidays as both Julie and I were ill. That left Gabrielle to pick up the slack, so he got worked on his basics, but not pushed hard. He enjoyed the well earned respite. Now it is back to pushing hard again - if I am going to make my goal of 2nd Level this year, there is no time for slacking off!! [Wink]

Remember the BNT that Julie was sending me out to for lessons that ended up cancelling on me?? Well Julie was trying to convince me to send Razzle to the BNT for at least a month while she is out on maternity to get some extra training. Financially, that just isn't feasible for me, so I told Julie to try to find a way to convince the BNT to come to our barn to fill in for her during that time period. Well as it turns out the BNT has decided to move her home base of operations back to our barn as of February!!! YEAH!!! That is definitely in time to start working with Razzle and me before Julie goes out on maternity leave so that my transition over to the BNT can be as smooth as possible, and Razzle can get some professional training as well (for the first time ever).

This is a huge relief for both Julie and me. Julie is going out on maternity a MONTH before show season begins (sometime in April), and will probably be out through the first two months of show season (I expect her back in late June). I am very excited. This is excellent news.

Of course, I don't know if the BNT will have any upper level horses to teach me on, or if she will have to leave those clients behind at the barn she is currently leaving, but at least I will be securing training for Raz and me for the upcoming months of Julie's maternity leave.

~Shelly~

Wild Oaks: I am really sorry to hear about your friend's husband, I am sending good thoughts to her, family and friends. [Angel]

I think I am going to have the massage therapist and chiro out. Does anyone know of some good equine massage therapists in NW Washington state? Please PM me w/ info if you do.

Congrats on the new boots, Boocoo! I recently got a new pair, they were slightly used and were only $40 with carry bags and boot pulls! [shocked]

ETA: I put my cell phone in the washing machine. [Roll Eyes] A few days ago I got a new one from Target, it's a Samsung with the T-Moble To Go Prepaid Minutes. It's a nice step up from the 1.5 or 2 year old black & white cell. [big Grin] I also managed to get gum all over my pants, and leave my mom's trunk open all night, and it poured ALL night. I seem to be having a clumsy streak...

[smiley Wavey]

[ 01-13-2006, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

FTA, I hope your sister kicks bootie and takes names at the Eventers Challenge. Will she be able to buy him from you?

Luvhorses, did you get the chiro or EMT out? Things will get better!!

Smithereens, what is a BMT? Or was that BNT? Anyway, congrats on getting her to your barn to instruct while Julie is out. That is awesome.

Wild, that is so tragic. My brother was killed on his motorcycle as well. A car turned in front of him.. He laid the bike down but sustained internal injuries and died instantly. He was 19. My deepest condolances *sp* for the family and my heart aches as I know first hand the pain they are feeling. Let us know what happened. There are miricles in this world.

The house is coming along. We now have siding up and they are preparing to put in the insulation and dry wall. My step dads work shop was put up today as well. So slowly but surely.

We leave at 6:30am to go to our friends house who is picking up the horses for us. Then we get Ben, then Layla, and drop them off at Can Do. Ill update with pics and all when I get a moment.

The Jacksonville Winter Series is going on right now and tomorrow evening at 7 is one of the Grand Prix's and its free so we are going to watch the big jumpers.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. And check out Ben in the new post I made!

Rough day. I'm finally getting tired enough (still at work!) to come off the anger high.

I found out last night that my youngest sister has been in the hospital since Saturday. Yet another intentional overdose. This is the fourth attempt in ten years to kill herself. I'm just so damned tired of the whole mess.

I KNOW D. can ask for help. She's been better about that the last couple years. But she's been pissed that my parents had the gall to go on vacation and not be available by phone every day. Oh, and she wasn't allowed in the condo while they were gone. Of course, she's 26 and lives in an apartment with her boyfriend...

I have been alternating between angry and numb. And somewhat to resigned to the idea that I don't expect her to have a normal life expectancy. Either she'll accidentally succeed at suicide or her organs will give out. She damaged her kidneys this time (and last time)... The doctors were initially talking about dialysis.

There are times when it is a definite advantage living across the country from most of the family. [Frown]

It's hard. D. is on so many prescription meds, all she needs to do is pop ALL her pills and she can be a very sick puppy. But this has happened enough that I'm out of sympathy. I don't respond well to emotional blackmail. I understand feeling alone and lonely, and I'm sorry she feels abandoned. But a look from the outside shows that she has never truly been alone or abandoned. Even if it feels like it.

I sound like a b!tch. I have my own issues, my own demons to battle. I have an ongoing struggle with depression of my own. I'm not usually quite so harsh. But if she really wants to die, I wish she'd go ahead and succeed. Then we could grieve and quit living in fear of the next unexpected phone call.

Tracy

Hey guys, Buster just got his new saddle pad [big Grin] If you all remember this is the bridle he has (and no that's not Buster in the photos):

-

-

-

-

It has baby blue padding and baby blue crystals in the browband, now this is the saddle pad I just got for him (the blue one obviously lol)

-

He's going to be one snazzy pony [big Grin] I won't be able to take pics of him in his new outfit though, as my digital camera has officially crapped out on me [Razz]

[ 01-13-2006, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]