Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 5

Tracy that's rough. Hang in there. I can't even imagine what it's like. Compared to most people I think I have a pretty well-adjusted, normal family. Well mostly. Sometimes. [Roll Eyes] And I have days when I have to just STAY AWAY from everybody because they're driving me crazy. So I can't even imagine how you deal with something as serious as your sister's issues are. Just be strong and take care of yourself first. [Huggy]

Inky, the pad is sooo cute. I know he'll look super spiffy in it!

Tracy hand in there. That is a tough one to deal with and certainly noone blames you for how you feel! [Huggy]

Inky, or anyone? I noticed in the pictures of your goreous bridle on the horse that isn't Buster, that they buckle the flash under the chin? I have not seen, or noticed that before? I have alway seen it buckled close to where it attaches on the top of the nose and then goes down!

I think it's more of a personal preference or lack of attention type deal Boocoo, I've actually mostly seen it buckled underneath the chin rather than near the top, but I have seen it done both ways. I don't use a flash myself, so I never really thought about it [Razz]

Tracy, I am so sorry. Like Wild Oaks said, I can't imagine what you're going through. Hang in there! [Huggy]

I never heard back from the chiro. I am going to talk to my trainer about having the vet come out and/or the massage therapist. It was so weird what she did - even when I gently brushed her neck (mostly on the muscles) with a soft body brush, she twitched pretty violently and was obviously in discomfort. I am pretty worried!

I love the pad, Inky! [big Grin]

[smiley Wavey]

Thanks, all.

I'll be ok. I just need to get past my own feelings and issues before I can be sympathetic for my sister.

We are entering a busy period at work. We were in the office until 9:30 on Thursday, 11:00 last night, and all day today. Hopefully we can get everything done so that we'll have tomorrow off. I'm in horsie withdrawal! [smile]

Tracy

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

I think it's more of a personal preference or lack of attention type deal Boocoo, I've actually mostly seen it buckled underneath the chin rather than near the top, but I have seen it done both ways. I don't use a flash myself, so I never really thought about it
[Razz]

Wow, really? That is the first time I have seen one buckled under the chin. Everywhere I've been, TN, AZ and CA and in the magazines and pictures and on TV, I've seen it buckled where the buckle is just under the flash connector on top of the nose. I find that interesting. I kind of like the way it looks under the chin!! [big Grin]

Good news: The chiropractor came, and he was able to fit Alibi in. I am having him come back in two or three weeks, as he suggested that (though I would've had him come back soon anyways). He said Ali's neck was rather messed up, so it's good he was able to work on her. I rode today and Alibi seemed much more comfortable, but we kept the ride short and simple, I don't want to push it, as she is still not 100%. I am still considering having the equine massage therapist out...though I'm also considering Acupunture. Has anyone had acupuncture done on their horses, or heard anything about it?

I also won a pair of Platinum full seats for show, on eBay, for a great deal! [big Grin]

Hope everyone is well!

[smiley Wavey]

Hey guys, sorry I havent been on before, my internet is up the creek without a paddle.

Boo and Smithereens - Sadly my sister is 16, so theres no way she could buy him from me (Im 18). Shes only riding him in this because she needs a horse who is capable of competing this height, and hers arnt lol.

Anyways,

Sorry I dont have anymore time... I have an appointment with the sandman! Hope everyone is ok!

Boocoo - "BNT" stands for big name trainer. The trainer that is coming back to my barn is a fairly BNT for this area. From the sounds of it, she is going to start sitting in on my lessons right away to familiarize herself with what Julie is working on with Raz and me to help the transition go smoothly. She was actually supposed to come to my lesson this past Saturday, but she came down with the terrible cold that has been going around up here and couldn't make it.

Shantel - How did the move of Ben and Layla go??

Tracy - That is a rough one. You have every right to be angry with your sister. That is definitely emotional blackmail. I would be spitting angry if I were you too. Hang in there. I wish there were something I could say to make it easier, but I know there isn't. I can't even imagine the stress of what you are facing.

Inky - Love the new pad!! Can't wait to see pics of Buster all done up with the bridle and the pad. You better get your camera working again!!

Boocoo - I'm with you, I generally buckle the flash up close to the top of the nose.

Luvhorses - Glad to hear that the chiro was able to straighten out Alibi!! HA!! Seriously, never underestimate the value of a good chiro session. Definitely follow up with the massage person as well. The muscles need to "learn" to hold everything in the new positions that the chiro just put them into, otherwise the muscles will just move them all back to their incorrect positions. Make sense?? As for the acupuncture, yes, I have had it done on Raz. My chiro does both. When Raz is way out of whack, she will adjust him and use acupuncture to help get him right as well. Don't know which is responsible for the great results, but I can tell you Raz feels awesome when Liz is done working on him!!

FTA - Sorry to hear Gizmo won't work out as a permanent mount for your sister. It was just a thought. Hopefully you'll find the right home for him soon. Keep on looking.

~Shelly~

FTA, well sorry your sis can't buy Gizmo. How is the sale going?

Smithereens, ok, gotcha, BNT! Is that like DNT, it's dynamite! [ROTFL] Ok, just ignore me! [big Grin] Sounds like you will get some valuable instruction from her. Enjoy your sessions with her.

My lessons are going well and my trainer told me the other day she is very excited about me and my horse and our upcoming show season. She also said we are doing so well she is moving us right along in our schooling sessions to 1st level!! Woo hoo!! I was on cloud 9. One thing about her, she is brutally honest and if the above were the opposite, like I am terrible and my horse has no talent, she would be the first to tell me! So I am very excited!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

She also said we are doing so well she is moving us right along in our schooling sessions to 1st level!! Woo hoo!! I was on cloud 9. One thing about her, she is brutally honest and if the above were the opposite, like I am terrible and my horse has no talent, she would be the first to tell me! So I am very excited!!!

That is fabulous!! I am so excited for you!! And just last week you were trying to say you were holding your horse back. Glad to hear you are making such good progress. First Level is a lot of fun.

~Shelly~

Tracy--my heart goes out to you. [Huggy] And your sister, too. I had an ill mother who was very manipulative and who could drag all of us down so easily with her games and attitudes and all the garbage, so I know how you're feeling. All you can do is just keep putting one foot in front of the other and take things as they come. Sometimes no reaction is a reaction.

You're in a no-win spot. Just accept it for what it is and try to love your sister in spite of it. It may not help her all that much, but it will help you. She is who she is. And no one can help her until she tries to help herself, and maybe not even then. As long as you know your limitations and accept these facts, you will be able to keep living your life without guilt or regret.

Hang in there. [Huggy]

The move with Ben and Layla went ok. Ben is fine and settled in great. I hopped on him on Monday and hes a fun ride. Smooth just doesnt have a clue as far as outside rein or legs or anything. But hes a honest guy.

Layla got on the trailer fine but is going nuts in her stall. Only at this barn does she ever weave as bad as she is and pace the stall. Someone bit her on her back really bad. She has a huge chunk missing right where the saddle goes. There was blood. So no riding either. Shes still not cleaning up all of her feed (she started doing this at Avonti as well but leaving mostly her supplements). So Im going to try some applesauce for the supplements and bought some paste Quietex in the mean time.

Took a personal day from work. Just a lot going on and very stressed. Not only with just the horse.

I called and left a message Monday morning with the lady at the place where I want to have my reception. I really wanted to get my deposit in so I could get my date secured. She didnt call me back. I called again yesterday morning and waited. She finally called me back at 4:45pm yesterday and told me that someone came in Monday evening and put a deposit down on my day! If she had called me back when I called, I would have had my day! I am so upset over the whole thing. I got into Randys truck after I got off the phone with her to head to the tuxedo store, and I just started bawling. It just upsets me.

We looked over some more dates and found that Oct 14 is a possibility. I called her last night and left a message and she left me a message this AM that it was open. So I called her back to find out the deposit total and of course, she doesnt answer. Still waiting on a call back. Its so frustering. And the thing is, Ive been to EVERY venue that I can even think of affording and this is the only place that I am just smitten with and that I can afford. So I have to make it work.

So anyways. Im home early. Its cold outside too. Cold front moved in. High of 59 with slicing wind. And guess whos going to the barn? LOL

Anyways.. thats my crappy update.

Shantel - So sorry to hear of the rough patch you are going through right now. I'm sure Layla will settle in at her new barn. Just give her a little time. I hope the woman at the reception place calls back with your reservation date confirmation. That really stinks that she didn't call you back the first time so that you could have your first choice of dates. Life can be so unfair sometimes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

~Shelly~

[Huggy]

Thanks Shelly. It will all work out. I know it. But last week I had a bad sales week at work and then the wedding date thing, then the horse.. its just taken its toll.

I found out a new bridal store opened across the river so my best friend and I are on our way there. I need to do something that will get my mind focused on just one thing.. and shopping for bridal dresses is a lot of fun. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

My lessons are going well and my trainer told me the other day she is very excited about me and my horse and our upcoming show season. She also said we are doing so well she is moving us right along in our schooling sessions to 1st level!! Woo hoo!! I was on cloud 9. One thing about her, she is brutally honest and if the above were the opposite, like I am terrible and my horse has no talent, she would be the first to tell me! So I am very excited!!!

That is so exciting! Congrats! [Yay][Yay][Yay]

Shantel: I too am sorry to hear about your current hardships...It's good you got Quietex, my mare really benefited from it (I have a high energy Arab)! I know things will get better for you, and I hope it happen soon. Hang in there! [Huggy]

Tracy: How are things with your sister?

smithereens: Thanks for the info! What you said definitely makes sense. I am hoping after some more work Ali will be back to feeling herself. She will be getting chiro work done every three months or sooner, as I know she benefits from it, and if you don't have your horse worked on within 90 days there is an extra $45 fee, along with the regular $50 one. But the first reason is much more important!

[smiley Wavey]

[ 01-18-2006, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

I've got a question, i know someone on this board had a problem with their horse bitting so but i thought i'd tell you what Gatsby did yesterday!! See Gatsby was a Stallion until he was 5 and when his last owner got him(the women i bought him from) had him, she gelded him. I dont know if that really has anything to do with it but i just taught i'd point it out. I had Gtasby in the cross ties(my mom was also standing there) and was grooming him and my trainers boyfriend walked up to me(hes a younger guy, around 30) and started talked to me. All of a sudden Gatsby nugged him with his nosed and my trainer boyfriend kinda yelled and said "no!" and pushed gatsby nose back. He again started talking to me and gatsby pinned his ears and bit him! [Eek!] i punched gatsby in his nose and scolded(sp) him in my "your in trouble" voice. Thankfully he did break the skin or anything but still that was a big no no in my book. Gatsby so testy toward other people and gets defensive, espically with other horses and animals(like if some ones dog comes near me). Do you think its just a effect of him being a stud so long? I didnt notice it at first but then again our bond has become closer and closer. What do you think??

BQD, Gatsby sounds so much like my horse. My horse does not like a lot of other people messing with him either. Particularly men and he was gelded as a two year old. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that when they were race horses, they were mostly handled by men. Everything was fast and furious and hurry up, hurry up. This makes horses nervous. I believe that my horse associates men with his life as a race horse and he did not like the track life. If to many people get around him now, he gets nervous. When I saddle him up, I always ask people to please step back and give him room. He gets claustraphobic inside barns as well. Not in his stall, but in grooming areas. He is usually fine if I am there and will stand quietly for Vets. and farriers. He responds the best to quiet, gentle men. The longer I have him, 4 years now, the better he gets also. He knows if I am near, everything is fine and he totally trusts me. Gatsby will get better to, the longer you have him.

[ 01-18-2006, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

quote:

Originally posted by smithereens_86:

That is fabulous!! I am so excited for you!! And just last week you were trying to say you were holding your horse back. Glad to hear you are making such good progress. First Level is a lot of fun.

~Shelly~[/QB]

Thank you Shelly!

Yes, I did say that, didn't I? That's because I know if someone with more experience in dressage were riding my horse, he would be schooling 2nd level already. If my trainer were to show him, she could show him 1st level. But.......... that's ok, because he is my horse, I am the one that is showing him and we will progress together. The key here is that we are progressing, right? [Wink] And his mind isn't blown. Two very key elements! LOL!

Well, Laylas weaving and anxiousness has for now at least, disappeared. The BM moved her down to the last stall where shes next to one mare and then a solid wall. I think the wall gives her some security and its quieter in the back of the barn. Shes eating her food and not going crazy, so thats always good.

I did a little lungeing session with her today since I cant ride b/c of the bite on her back. She was so good. I know she would have been like that u/s. Shes come into season so shes so relaxed and going so nicely. Perfect relaxed, neck stretched out trot and slow 3 beat canter. Did a little trotting over ground poles too.

I also found out that Oct 14th was available and the deposit amount so Im sending that over to secure my date. At least something is accomplished. I really needed today off. I feel much better after having a day to just chill. Back to the grindstone tomorrow.

Going to go watch American Idol from last night.. Looks like its going to be funny.

quote:

Originally posted by luvhorses223:

quote:

That is so exciting! Congrats!
[Yay][Yay][Yay]

Thank you, luvhorses! [big Grin]

quote:

posted 01-18-2006 07:05 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Laylas weaving and anxiousness has for now at least, disappeared. The BM moved her down to the last stall where shes next to one mare and then a solid wall. I think the wall gives her some security and its quieter in the back of the barn. Shes eating her food and not going crazy, so thats always good.

I did a little lungeing session with her today since I cant ride b/c of the bite on her back. She was so good. I know she would have been like that u/s. Shes come into season so shes so relaxed and going so nicely. Perfect relaxed, neck stretched out trot and slow 3 beat canter. Did a little trotting over ground poles too.

I also found out that Oct 14th was available and the deposit amount so Im sending that over to secure my date. At least something is accomplished. I really needed today off. I feel much better after having a day to just chill. Back to the grindstone tomorrow

[Yay] Yay! Thats great!. [big Grin]

quote:

Yes, I did say that, didn't I? That's because I know if someone with more experience in dressage were riding my horse, he would be schooling 2nd level already. If my trainer were to show him, she could show him 1st level. But.......... that's ok, because he is my horse, I am the one that is showing him and we will progress together. The key here is that we are progressing, right?
[Wink]
And his mind isn't blown. Two very key elements! LOL!

We can all say that though, Boocoo. Razzle probably would have been showing 2nd Level last season and schooling 3rd with the potential to move up to showing 3rd this season had he been ridden by a better rider than myself. How quickly you make the journey is not what matters. The pleasure and gratification you receive along the path of the journey is what is important. And keep in mind that not only did you make great progress over the course of last year, but you also did so WHILE incorporating TWO separate moves that involved having to switch trainers and barns. That is incredibly difficult. You have a lot to be proud about.

~Shelly~

BQD - My last horse was an OTTB, and he had a distinct dislike/distrust of men. He never went so far as to bite them, but one time, after seeing a man coming towards him down the barn aisle, he slipped his halter while on crossties, turned and bolted out of the barn!! That was in the first week I had him. I caught up to him about 10 feet out of the barn door where he was patiently waiting for me. He stopped as soon as he was out of sight of the man he had seen. As we grew a better bond, he learned to trust men more, but it was a long road for him as his owner just previous to me (who was a man) was most likely abusive to him. It sounds to me like you handled the situation well, and in the future, you will be more aware of his propensity to act out around men in your presence and hence (hopefully) be able to curtail his actions before they escalate to biting. In other words, the next time, you may take a more commanding tone with him when you tell him to knock of the nudging so that he gets the point and never takes it to the next level, or as Boocoo suggested, you are just more aware of who gets "within range" of Gats when he is being protective of his time with you.

Shantel - Glad to hear that Layla is settling in to her new home, and that you got your wedding date reserved at the reception hall. What a stressful week for you!!!

~Shelly~

Smithereens, sometimes I forget about how much happened last year. Sheesh, it's heck getting old! [Wink]

I switched to dressage from western, then we moved in May from TN back to Tucson. I had my horse in 3 different stables there, in 3 months. I am very picky. Finally found a place I liked and then we moved again out here to CA. I had my horse in two stables in one week here. [Eek!] So my poor horse was in 6 barns in 4 months! Wow! That is a lot, but I will not keep him in a less than adequate facility! He has been in his current stable for almost 4 months now and is really settling down and working well.

On top of all that I had 3 different trainers in 2005. Fortunately they were all excellent!

One thing I can say for him, he did always settle in pretty quick and it is good experience for him, just glad we aren't going anywhere for a while.

Hopefully the next move will be to my house. When we buy, I want horse property again, I so miss having my horses at home. We will put in a small barn, dressage arena and round pen. Then I can take in a couple of boarders and not have to have to many horses myself again! [big Grin] I had up to 5 and 6 at one time. I know to some people that is not to many, but for me that is a lot. 1 or 2 is all I need!

[ 01-19-2006, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

quote:

I had up to 5 and 6 at one time. I know to some people that is not to many, but for me that is a lot. 1 or 2 is all I need!

That is A LOT to me!!! I've never had more than one at a time. That's all I can afford. I board and the price of board around here is OUTRAGEOUS, so I am a one horse person.

That is a lot of moving around in one year, Boocoo. Imagine how much progress you will be able to make now that you are settled!!

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by smithereens_86:

quote:

I had up to 5 and 6 at one time. I know to some people that is not to many, but for me that is a lot. 1 or 2 is all I need!

That is A LOT to me!!! I've never had more than one at a time. That's all I can afford. I board and the price of board around here is OUTRAGEOUS, so I am a one horse person.

That is a lot of moving around in one year, Boocoo. Imagine how much progress you will be able to make now that you are settled!!

~Shelly~

I had that many horses when I had them at home on our little ranch. When we first moved to TN I took two with me. That was to many to board! LOL! So I sold Beau's 1/2 brother. That was the first time in 20 years I had just one and I like it! [big Grin]

Yes, now we are settling in and I can tell it is settling for Beau! Big difference in him. Not that he was ever bad, he is just calmer and working better and I am riding better. So combination of things.

When are you going to start on your audition video? That sounds like a blast.

Better run, gotta go get my son and take him to the dentist.

Thanks to all who have asked about my sister. She is out of the hospital, but still sick. It sounds like she probably has bronchitis. Mom tells me she was in intensive care for four days and in the hospital for ten days total. I hadn't realized that the ride to the hospital wasn't a change of mind, but the hope for some morphine to ease the pain from the overdose. [Frown]

Work has been busy, as is usual for year end accounting time. I expect a long day (15-16 hrs) today, and at least half a day tomorrow. But at least we will have Sunday off. I need horsie time and study time. [smile] Hmmm. I only have two more weeks to study for the LSAT. Time to buckle down...

I'll try to post more over lunchtime. Everyone stay safe and have a good end of the work week. Shelly, have fun getting your video together!

Tracy

quote:

When are you going to start on your audition video? That sounds like a blast.

Well since the video has to be of me riding the highest level dressage test I am capable of, first I have to talk to Julie about WHICH test I will ride for the audition tape. Julie and I will probably sit down with the tests tomorrow and go through them and decide which test I will ride. Then I have to start PREPPING the test like I was prepping for a show since I haven't actually ridden a test since my last show in late September. Depending on which test Julie and I decide on, it will probably take me at least two weeks (maybe more) to prepare. Then we have to pick a time when the ring will be fairly empty so that we won't have to kick too many people out of the ring AND when we can nab Jack as well to do the actual video taping.

PHEW!!! We have our work cut out for us!! [big Grin]

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

I only have two more weeks to study for the LSAT. Time to buckle down...

Good luck on the LSATs!! Trust me, law school is overrated!! [big Grin] You end up jobless or working for peanuts with a pile of debt you can never pay off because the market is FLOODED with too many lawyers.

Any ideas what schools you want to apply to yet??

Glad to hear your sister is out of the hospital and doing better. All you can do is wish her the best and concentrate on the tests you have in front of yourself right now.

~Shelly~