Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 5

I'm thinking of a mix of schools. Chapman and perhaps Cal Western in So. CA, Drake in Iowa, and *maybe* Western New England in Springfield. I will try for a broad base of classes, with a bit of an emphasis on tax and elder law. Combining my CPA with a law degree *should* help make me marketable after graduation. And the median salary for tax attorneys is significantly more than I make now...

Tracy

This is just what you are planning on applying to, right?? You aren't actually planning on trying to attend more than one law school are you?? That was just worded funny and now you have me confused!!

If you are talking about physically moving and switching schools each year, I DO NOT recommend that. Law school is emotionally and physically very, very difficult with the 2nd year being your HARDEST year. You will NEED your friends and study buddies that you make during your 1st year to survive your 2nd year. It is the only way. Without them, you will not make it through your second year. The work load is way too much for any one person to handle. It is all about divide and conquer. You must have established friends that you know and trust that you are willing and able to hand off some of your work to without feeling the need to go back and micromanage what they bring back to you. That is a HUGE level of trust. That is what you establish in your 1st year. You can not move to a new school in the beginning of your 2nd year and form the necessary relationships in the short span of time before the work load hits. You will scramble, panic, crash and burn. Even if you do find a way to somehow shoulder the entire burden by yourself, it will burn you out emotionally. 2nd year will either make or break you. I recommend you stay where you are familar and comfortable and don't add to your stress level by trying to bounce around to different schools. Besides which, it just doesn't look good on a transcipt to prospective employers. By the 3rd year, you are more able to "coast" and not so reliant on your friends and study buddies. This is the time to experiment with transferring to alternate schools, etc., but definitely NOT before then. In the 3rd year, many law students do experiment with "upgrading" to a more prestigous law school so that their final diploma has a more reconizable name on the parchment, so many employers are used to seeing transcripts of prospective employees with transfers in the final year. In any event, be very prepared to deal with pointed questions about why you transferred schools because it makes prospective employers wary and suspicious.

As for applying to more than one school - have to do it!! You will have a better idea of what to apply to after your LSAT scores come back. Make sure you have one "easy to get into", one or two "long shots" such as Harvard (just because), and then a handful of "middle of the road" which are the ones where you really want to end up at. I totally misjudged my chances and ended up being accepted to all 7 of the schools I applied to and wished that I had applied to much harder "long shots" such as Harvard. I ended up going to one of my long shots and attended Boston College Law School.

Yes, having a CPA already adds value to your marketability subsequent to law school. A heavy concentration in tax law will give added value and make you stand out in the crowd. I'm glad to hear you have a solid plan. Rushing into law school with no plan or foundation usually results in high debt and no job.

Based on the schools you have listed, you are planning a big move (physically) for law school.

~Shelly~

[ 01-20-2006, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

Shelly, those are the applications I'm thinking of sending out. They are areas that I either like or have family nearby. Or both. I agree, one school is plenty.

I am hoping to score well enough to have some opportunities open up for Fall 2007, even if it is too late for Fall 2006. We'll see. After the GRE's I received mail from grad schools, and after AP Chem I started receiving letters from Cal Tech. [smile]

One thing the schools I listed have in common is a relatively late application date. So I'll get all my transcripts ordered and into LSAC, and the recommendations, and the applications. The scores will come last, but should be just in time for the Mar. 1 applications. If I don't get in because my application arrives too close to the deadline and the class is full, that's ok. I will have everything I need for the Fall 2007 applications. And I can get those in early!

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Tracy

1:05 AM and still at work. I'll be SO happy if I can avoid getting sick. Between stress and long hours, I'm due for the next cold or sinus infection to make the rounds. Hopefully this will be the last late night for awhile. At least I didn't miss an opportunity to ride. The barn is closed on Mondays.

Remind me again why I went into accounting??

Tracy

Hey guys. Been kind of MIA as I started my new schedule. I now work:

M-Th 11:30am-10pm

M, Th-Sat 11:30am-10pm

rotating between the 2 schedules. Only 4 days a week but long 10 hour days. I started that on Monday so Im still adjusting. Time to go to the barn, give Layla her supplements via applesauce, come home and crash.

Didnt sleep well last night. Closed my eyes and then opened them and it was 9 am! Ugh. My atlas was out so the chiro adjusted it for me. I always feel like crap when that goes out.

Ankle is hurting as well. Its inflamed. I always walked on the outside of my foot and my outside calf muscle would spasm and tighten and I couldnt walk so I got some inserts for my shoes. Let me tell you, they really DO work. After wearing them for like 2 days, my achilies *sp* tendon was sore and now my ankle is a little swollen and tender, BUT, I am walking straight and my heel isnt hanging off the edge of my sandals. We are doing ultrasound treatments on my ankle and its getting better.

http://weddings.theknot.com/weddingdress/b...h&savedsearch=1

Thats a link to a bridesmaid dress I really like. If you click the LARGE button, you can see the corset back. Its really nice. Going to have my friend try it on next weekend to see how it looks. And it will be in black! [Wink]

Oh well. Gotta go grab a quick bite to eat and head off to work.. So tired..

Oh also. Horse update.

Layla wasnt eating her powdered supplements.. I think I posted that here. Well I now mix them in applesauce and of course Miss Picky wont eat it, but I just suck it up in a big syringe and squirt it in her mouth. I think she secretly likes it b/c she just stands there, lead rope over her neck, not cross tied, and lets me squirt like 7-8 of those things in her mouth every night. Shes such a good ponay.

Also, lately, I think she thinks she knows how to ground tie. Last night I groomed her, picked her feet, brushed her mane and tail, and gave her the supplements, and she just stood there. Now if shed just be that relaxed ALL the time... LOL

That's a LOOOONNNNG day at work, but at least you get THREE days off a week!! I would do that in a heart beat.

The link to the bridesmaid dress wouldn't connect. I had to be a member of the site!! DRAT!! I really wanted to see it.

Glad to hear you found a way to get Layla's supplements into her. Hopefully at some point she will start eating them out of her regular feed again so that you don't have to keep syringing applesauce into her. That does get to be a pain after awhile.

~Shelly~

Opps forgot about that website being like that.. Lemme upload the pics.

-

-

I love it!

Yeh the applesauce at least right now isnt a PITA. Even when Im tired, I know I have to go to the barn, so that way I at least get to see her and groom her while I adjust to the new schedule. Its kind of peaceful after all day at work to go to the barn at 10:30 when its dark and quiet and just spend some time with her.

BTW I have a lady coming from S Orlando to see her on the 7th. Sounds like a great match. We'll see. Shes been so good lately its going to kill me if she goes but I just keep reminding myself I could be riding a better suited horse and having fun LEARNING and not trying to TRAIN. [Roll Eyes]

Off to watch Lost and pass out.

OH!

And I killed at work today. I got over $60500 in Balance Transfers and 6 products, which put me at making $130 bonus just for today. As long as Im at at least 70% of goal for the month, I get the money I earn, so with a day like today and the last 2 days, Im in high hopes that I will make it. Gotta earn that money for the wedding!! Anyways, for noncredit card people.. It was a smashing day.

REALLY WELL DONE, Shantel!! That sounds like a great day at work. I hated sales. I couldn't do it. I went home crying every day. Totally not the job for me, so I have great admiration for people who can do that kind of work.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the dress. Drop dead gorgeous, and it will look stunning in black. Of course, I wouldn't want to be the one that has to lace it up the back!! [Wink]

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your prospective buyer LOVES Layla and is just perfect for her.

~Shelly~

Thanks Shelly.

Another great day at work. Made just under $90 extra. Woop!

I gotta go get packed. We are leaving for Universal Studios in the am until Sunday. We have a King Suite on site and 2 day 2 park passes. LOVE IT!

We have a date of the 7th for Layla to be looked at. Wish my farrier would CALL!!! UGH

I leave with a funny joke..

A man and his wife were working in their garden one day and the man looks over at his wife and says: "Your butt is getting really big, I mean really big. I bet your butt is bigger than the barbeque." The woman chose to ignore her husband.

Later that night in bed, the husband is feeling a little frisky. He makes some advances towards his wife who completely brushes him off. "What's wrong?", he asks. She answers,"Do you really think I'm going to fire up this big-*** grill for one little weenie?"

quote:

Originally posted by KrazyTBMare:

A man and his wife were working in their garden one day and the man looks over at his wife and says: "Your butt is getting really big, I mean really big. I bet your butt is bigger than the barbeque." The woman chose to ignore her husband.

Later that night in bed, the husband is feeling a little frisky. He makes some advances towards his wife who completely brushes him off. "What's wrong?", he asks. She answers,"Do you really think I'm going to fire up this big-*** grill for one little weenie?"

[ROTFL][ROTFL]

love it love it love it

Hey all,

Hope everyone and their horseys are ok. The show was ok, they didnt win, but he was very brave... cant ask for more than that can I lol. Ill get the pics developed as soon as I can.

I have someone interested in buying him, they are taking him on a 2 week trial this week, so cross your fingers for me lol. I never realised how much I would miss him... Im sitting here in tears and he hasnt even gone yet lol.

Krazy - the dress is gorgeous!

quote:

Later that night in bed, the husband is feeling a little frisky. He makes some advances towards his wife who completely brushes him off. "What's wrong?", he asks. She answers,"Do you really think I'm going to fire up this big-*** grill for one little weenie?

[ROTFL][ROTFL][ROTFL] Nice one! The dress is gorgeous by the way.

I am taking my Arab mare and the QH x Arab I lease, to a recognized dressage show in March...I am showing Alibi (my mare) at 2nd level (tests 1 & 2). I am showing Teddy (horse I lease) at 1st level tests 1 thru 4, and I am paying the extra $10/per class to qualify for the Region 6 Championships.

I am also going to a clinic in early February with my trainer, I am taking Teddy and my trainer is taking her two talented horses. The clinician is Christian Garweg (he is German), anyone heard of him? Anyways, I am very excited for that! [big Grin]

Hope everyone is doing well. [smile]

[smiley Wavey]

Gorgeous dress Shantel! And I love the joke [big Grin] Since these are non dressage related, I'll post them here [Wink] Got new pics of Buster today, who got a new haircut on his mane and tail:

For reference, before:

-

-

Today, pics are kinda hard to see because of the snow:

-

-

He closed his eyes but you can see the beginnings of his chop job, I'll go back over later with my mane comb (forgot it today) and ever it out:

-

His tail got trimmed as well:

-

More coming

-

Modeling his new saddle pad:

-

And for good measure, Inky, he didn't get a picture day though, because he's FILTHY and gets his own grooming day. And someone's obviously been rolling! Ain't he fluffy though?

-

And don't ask me where the heck he found the burrs, I thought all our burrs were gone for the winter

-

Now for a question. It's been about two weeks since I've been out to the barn to groom them regularly due to being in and out of health and the car being in and out of the shop. Their pens have been a mudhole since then, and being short (and I'm thinking he's been rolling/lying on one side) Buster has developed some nasty mudballs on his left side and stomach. The mud is literally a foot deep. How can I get them off being that it's too cold for a serious bath?

Here's a picture to demonstrate how bad they are and this is why I didn't ride:

-

Sorry that i've been missing in action lately everyone. It's just a bit hectic around here.

Shantel I really like that dress. Very nice! [Jump]

Inky don't you just love muddy horses?!? [Wink]

Nothing too eventful to report here....

except that my clothes dryer started on fire this afternoon. [Eek!]

[ 01-28-2006, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Santas_Girl ]

quote:

except that my clothes dryer started on fire this afternoon.

[Eek!]

i caught a toaster on fire once, i was trying to make toast and the button got stuck down and the toast caught on fire and then the toaster and the wall is all black were the toaster used to sit [Embarrassed] i cant believe i'm 17 and cant even make toast [bang Head]

FTA - Glad to hear the show went well. Can't wait to see the pics. Fingers crossed the prospective sale goes well even though I know it is breaking your heart.

Luvhorses - Good luck at the show. I'm guessing you are showing more than one day since the rules only allow a horse to do a max of 3 test in a single day. ?? The clinic sounds ilke a blast though I can't say as I have ever heard of the clinician. I love clinics. I just registered for one myself with Anne Guptill at the end of April - talk about planning ahead. Gheesh!!

Inky - Love Buster's new "do" and the saddle pad looks FABULOUS on him!! No idea how to get that mud off without water or cutting the hair though. I'm fresh out of ideas on that score. That's some nasty looking mud.

SG - YIKES!! How on earth did your clothes dryer start on fire???

BQD - LOL!! Perhaps a cooking class in school is in order!! My grandmother and mother taught me how to cook. Jack's son George is 16yo, and he is turning into an excellent cook already. The younger one Ara is going to be hopeless in the kitchen though.

~Shelly~

Thanks Shelly [big Grin] . On Teddy I am doing two classes per day, and on Alibi just one per day. Three tests I personally think is a bit much (for both the horse and me!)

Inky: I am in the Puget Sound area of WA, and it has been raining NON STOP. It is crazy. Teddy is doing ok since he is in stall board, with mud-free paddock and a stall at night, but Alibi is out 24/7 in a large paddock with two other mares, and she is an absolute mess every time I get her out. And the hot wash rack is not done yet. I really like the pad! [smile]

BQD: [ROTFL] I am an AWFUL cook...frozen dinners, packaged mac 'n cheese and bagels is about my limit. [big Grin][Embarrassed] My mom and sister are the good cooks in the familiy, and my dad is a good cook as well.

[smiley Wavey]

[ 01-30-2006, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Hey guys. Im back from Universal. Id put up pics but it looks like while I was gone my stupid dog chewed the USB cord that I use to transfer the pics to the computer.. so none right now! GRR.

We had a lot of fun at Universal. The suite was very nice.. 2 rooms with a HUGE bathroom. It was a nice get away.

Had to get up at 7:00 to meet the farrier to do Laylas feet. And I was right.. the other farrier messed her up. Shes back to being uneven with her right leg longer than her left so thats why shes been reluctant to bend again and sore in her back. So we have her back in the wedge pad and aluminum shoes for now. But her feet look better already.

Well thats all for now. TTYL.