Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 5

quote:

Originally posted by luvhorses223:

Three tests I personally think is a bit much (for both the horse and me!)

DITTO!!! At Training Level on my old TB, I could pull off three tests in a day, but once I moved up to First Level with Raz that all ended. After two tests, both Raz and I are complete toast!!

~Shelly~

Shantel, Glad to hear you had such a great time at Universal. Sounds perfect!! Sorry to hear about the bad shoeing job on Layla. Farriers can really mess a horse. Glad to hear you got her straightened out - literally.

~Shelly~

Thanks guys.

I rode her tonight. She was much more relaxed since the last ride. I can tell the supplements are taking effect since I started giving them to her in applesauce.

We started out with a nice stretchy trot. Had nice transitions into the canter. The canter was nicely forward, I wasnt trying to collect her up too much with the reins or tighten my seat, and she was nice and relaxed. Took a little bit to get back to relax back down into the trot but she did it. Starting her back o/f so I can show how she jumps to the lady coming on the 7th. She got a little excited.. Not bad but just a little more forward. Got her settled and went to do a tiny 3 stride line (not even 2'). First time she tried to gallop out of the 1st into the last fence so I pulled her up. Tried it again and I fussed with her too much and got a funny spot. Last time, gentle 1/2 halts got a very nice 3 stride with perfect spots.

And I rode in the mullen mouth as well. She really listens to this bit and its like one of the mildest there is. Its a metal one, not rubber, but still. She listens to the halt halts, stretches into it, takes the contact, and when I need a little more attention esp o/f, she listens. Its strange b/c before I had to use a pelham or elevator or Dr Bristol and I believe she listens better to this mullen mouth. Plus she barely mouths this bit like she did the other snaffles. Her tongue and mouth are quiet. I looked and she has a THICK tongue. Seems like the mullen sits better in there. So we may have a winner folks!

Things are going better with Sarah and Ben too. He started being a you-know-what about going forward or being asked to work longer than he thought he had to. He started hopping up, not really crow hopping but not bucking.. Hed hop up and kick out and its not anything to get you off, just his way of giving you the finger. We decided to get rid of the spurs and work with a whip and work on straight and forward at the walk and trot. So far, so good. He didnt offer to hop at all the last 2 times and shes much happier with him. So we'll keep you updated.

Inky, Ive never seen mud like that ever. My suggestion? A hammer and chisle! You might just have to pinch it in your fingers and make it crumble until you can get like a mane or tail brush in there to knock the bigger bits off. WOW.

SG, wow thats scary about the fire. Get that taken care of!

Im off to wash some clothes and head to bed.

Does anyone know of any sites outside of ebay where you can sell stuff online without an expensive listing price? I've got some old stamps to sell (i have duplicates of some and want to sell the extras).

SG the ebay listing price depends on how much the item sells for, so it may not be much depending on your stamps. I think you might have more of a market on ebay and be able to make more. There are some antique websites that you can sell things on but of course I can't think of any of the names now.

I'll catch up with everyone later...I've been so busy! [Cool]

Shantel - Glad to hear Layla is coming around and settling in nicely. Great that the new bit seems to be a winner as well. Nice when everything comes together like that. Sounds like you had some fun over fences with her. I really need to do some more work with Raz over fences. If I could just get him a little more solid on the basics . . . I have only done a the trot/canter pole work and a few introductory to jumping sessions with him. He is still totally enthralled with the whole process and wants to WATCH the jump the whole way up to it, over it AND after it for a full stride. [Eek!] Silly horse will have his head between his knees trying to watch where the jump went then all of a sudden he remembers he needs to look where he is going and UP pops his head. [Roll Eyes] He certainly enjoys it, he just needs some more experience under his belt, then I can let Gabrielle start doing some jumping with him. Glad to hear Sarah and Ben are getting the new horse kinks worked out as well. Starting a new partnership always has a few rough patches at the beginning.

SG - Sorry, I don't know of any other sites.

The kids and I are on our own for a few days. Jack had a death in the family late last week - an uncle I have never met, so I put him on a plane to LA very early yesterday morning. He won't be back until Sunday evening. So it's just the kids and I for a few days. Wonder how much trouble we can get into while Jack is away?!?!? [big Grin]

~Shelly~

One more day. I'm taking a brief break from studying/practicing for tomorrow's LSAT. The plan is to spend the morning studying, then relaxing this afternoon and evening. The ONE full length test I practiced on was promising. With no time restrictions, I ended up in the top tenth percentile. Two of the three types of questions shouldn't present too many time pressures. So I really only need to prioritize and focus on time in one section. Guess where my focus will be today in the practice?? [smile] If I can remember to take a little extra time on set up of the analytical problems it will help. And I may need to decide which problems to work first and which to leave until later.

I'm looking forward to riding this afternoon. Fessor has been good lately. Our one issue is straightness. I need to figure out what I am doing to lose his haunches out to the right, in both directions of travel. HE tends to be quite striaght, so I am sure that *I* am the one with the issue. Hmmm. Maybe the chiropractor can fit me in this afternoon...

After (or before?) riding, I may try to see a movie too. The focus of the afternoon and evening is relaxing. An early evening and a high protein breakfast should get me started well tomorrow. I have my snack for the break all planned out, and plenty of pencils and erasers. I think I'm ready!

Have a good weekend, all. If you have the time, think good thoughts for me tomorrow morning.

Tracy

Inky - Love the picture!! Very nice!!

Tracy - GOOD LUCK!! Sounds like you have done everything possible to prepare, and that is all you can do for the LSATs. Get lots of rest and relaxation today and tonight and trust that you have done everything you can. This isn't the kind of test you can cram for. There is no specific knowledge you need to have. It is a test of logic and thinking patterns and how you handle time pressure. You will do fine. I'll be thinking of your tomorrow morning.

As for Fessor, it may be you, or it may be him. Hard to say. Raz throws his haunches to the left in both directions because his left hind is his weak leg and that is his evasion to try to avoid actually having to USE that left hind correctly. Keep your right leg back and on to correct for the haunches. Just keep asking him to push them back where they belong and go forward. You will need to have your trainer watch the two of you go to see who is responsible for creating the issue so that the root cause can be corrected rather than the result.

~Shelly~

[ 02-03-2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

Thanks, Shelly. I found something that *seemed* to help the straighntess yesterday. As I rode, I tried to keep my hip bones pointed squarely toward the end of the arena ahead of us. We were straighter yesterday than we have been in a few weeks. So I must be twisting somehow.

The test felt like it went well. I'll know for sure in a few weeks or so. At least it's over. I even managed to get the whole room laughing. As the proctor was reading the instructions for the writing sample section, one of the instructions was that you must write your piece in English. Ummmm, yes, I assumed that. So smart *** that I am, I said "Oh, ****" as she paused after reading the sentence. I was meaning to be sarcastic, but apparently it was funny too. Of course, that was the last section of the exam. Maybe we were all getting a bit tired by then... [smile]

I have one serious horse update. When I got to the barn yesterday, I noticed that Fessor's right eye was a bit swollen and his left was VERY swollen. Wednesday evening, his eyes were fine. I didn't see him on Thurday, but one of my barnmates said his eyes looked ok then. So sometime between Thursday evening and midday Friday he had a major flare up. He was holding the left eye closed much of the time and was obviously uncomfortable. A quick check showed that he had no menace response in the left eye. Yesterday, he was completely blind in the left eye. How am I sure? He led a bit differently. I decided to take things slowly and see what he was comfortable doing with only one eye working. We tacked up and I led him out to the outdoor so we could be by ourselves in the arena. As long as I talked to him or kept a hand on him, he was fine. Fessor hesitated once or twice while I was leading him, but only for a brief moment. And a simple cluck and walk on was enough to get a nice forward confident walk again. I led him around the arena once each way to see how he reacted. Since he was calm, I decided to go ahead and get on and take things one step at a time. Walking each direction was fine, so we tried a little trotting. Still good. Fessor was calm, listening, and responsive. So we went ahead and cantered a bit both ways. Again, he was great. The only difference in the ride was me consciously telling him to turn at the ends of the arena rather than letting the rail and his sight tell him when to turn. He didn't ride any differently. The difference was in leading.

The swelling in the eyes is down today after Banamine and steroid ointment last night and this morning. His left eye is still very cloudy. Yesterday evening, I couldn't see the iris. The eye was so cloudy all I could see was a pale milky bluish white. Today, I can see where the iris is though it is still obscured by the cloudiness. So we are back to twice a day meds until things clear up. I hope that we can get the eye to clear and that Fessor will have some sight in that eye when he has a clear fluid to look through. But if not, it won't be a big deal. He was so awesome under saddle yesterday, that if he is going to stay blind in that left eye it isn't going to slow us down. What can I say? Fessor is my inspiration.

Tracy

The swelling is gone, and the cloudiness in Fessor's eye is subsiding. The good news is that we have a definite menace response, and he seems to be seeing better this evening than he did last night. It looks like once the cloudiness clears he will still have some sight in his left eye. His right eye did not seem to be in danger, but I was wondering about the left.

I just finished writing letters requesting recommendations from a couple former professors. I'm still not sure if I will apply for fall 2006 or fall 2007, but I want to get the letters and transcripts into the central application service. Then I can decide over the next few weeks when to apply. [smile] The final decision may wait for the LSAT scores at the end of the month.

Tracy

Glad that Fassors eye is clearing up Tracy. That has to be scary.

Tuesday morning a woman from south of Orlando came and looked at Layla. She rode her very well and was able to take my tips on how I ride her and use them and get her round at the w/t/c and relax. She was a little tense due to having a new horse introduced into her herd and then only having 5 mins out there before I had to get her, so she was a little worked up.

She liked her but wants to think about it. She has a few other horses shes looked at in the $5k range but of course they dont have the training Layla does. She just wants time to think but loves Layla.

I also have a C-3 pony clubber and trainer coming on the 12th if nothing develops with this other woman. They know she hasnt been over fences in 1 1/2 years but have no qualms with that. Ive hopped her over a few the last few rides. Its still there she just needs some consistancy.

Other good news; I rode her tonight and shes just come into heat! YAY. She was so relaxed and happy. Love it. She warms up thinking shes a hunter. Long and low and trotting along. I was able to get her round and using her fanny more. The canter to the left was perfect. To the right she needed a little help getting UP and not hanging. Then we had a 10 canter-to-trot transition to the right. She is still getting that strength and balance so sometimes loses it and gets inverted. But this time she stayed round and was really using herself. Sarah yelled over how nice it looked. She was only able to keep it for about 1/2 way around the ring, but still. Very nice. We did leg yields and shoulder ins both ways at the walk and trot. They were SO good.

Anyways.

Wedding planning is coming along as well. So is the house. They finished the insulation and have to do one more thing with the cable inside then the dry wall. Contractor said 100% that we'll be in by March 31st. Kind of scary!!

Thats my update.

Sorry I have been so out of touch recently, but I’ve had a lot going on and wasn’t much in the mood for chatting. Some family crisis that I won’t drag you all down with. I had hoped to have to audition video for the NEDA Symposium made by now, but we were delayed by the snow storm that rolled on through here this last weekend dumping over a foot and a half of snow on us. Hence, we are headed out to the barn to make the video tonight. Hopefully there won’t be too many people out there riding. Then I will edit it tomorrow night. Review it with Julie and have a lesson Friday morning (I have the day off of work Friday). And then we leave at 4am Saturday on a week’s vacation to the Caribbean. PHEW!!! Talk about busy. Life has just been non-stop lately.

When I get back from vacation, I have Julie’s baby show and she has yet to register at any stores!! I have also scheduled Razzle to have his 6-month hock injections slightly early just in case we do get selected for the NEDA Symposium because if we were to be selected, the hock injections would come due ON that weekend. I have also scheduled a clinic with Anne Guptill for the last weekend in April. AND I would like to try to squeeze in a schooling show in mid-April. Therefore, I figured the only way to fit in the hock injections was to have them done a little early. Better that way than to have to cancel something because Raz was hurting. The vet agreed. So . . . we have hock injections the week after I get back. Then a week of walking, and two weeks of rehab, and that brings us right to the NEDA Symposium – hopefully!! They said they would notify riders by the 13th if they had been selected, so I won’t have to wait too long to find out.

So I guess you could say I have been a TAD busy and that’s not likely to change any time soon!!!

Tracy: Sorry to hear that Fessor’s eye has been flaring up. Glad to hear that he is working ok despite the cloudiness. How is he doing now?? Has the cloudiness cleared up at all?? How scary.

Shantel: How exciting that your house will be ready by March 31st!! I bet you can’t wait to move in. I saw the pictures. It is GORGEOUS!!! Glad to hear you are getting some interest in Layla. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

~Shelly~