Sign in to follow this  
BisQuickDoc

Dressage sport boots??(for the horse)

Have you gys noticed in the Dover catalog(others too) that they came out with a dressage sport boot. Is it spaicfically for dressage or is it just a title??

Anyone use these?? just kinda curious [Question]

Those are similar to the ones I use--I didn't glance that the price though. I use to use polos all the time, but these are a whole lot quicker to put on and off and I'm not terribly worried about support as much as I am about just protecting against brushing injuries. With trying to get two horses ridden in the afternoons after work, every little thing I can do to save time really helps, not to mention the fact that I hate rolling clean polos!!!!

I use polos to. Cheaper and easier and in my colors. Plus my horse hates boots of any kind. He likes his polos.

however, I like the looks of these and they would be much faster to put on and take off!!!

My trainer uses them and they are great. The Dover Pro Sport boots suck b/c they have like 5" of padding and its next to impossible to get them to bend around the horses legs. The DSBs are great.

Pretty much everyone at my barn (including me) has the DSB's. I like them a lot, they are so quick and easy to get on and off. The Dover sport boots, as mentioned before suck, they are very hard to bend aroung the horses legs

I like the looks of those, a woman who used to board where I do had them and liked them.

I go the Dover Pro Sport boots (one pair) for shows...do you guys think that I should return them for the Neoprene pair? [Confused]

Another vote for DSBIIs... easy on, good protection, washer and dryer-friendly, attractive, last forever.

I'd be careful about the neoprene - some horses react to it with skin irritation.

well while were on the subject of boots what do you think of SMB's?

My vet really likes them but i always thought of them as more of a western boot. lol thats sounds stupid but do ya know what i mean? Anyone have them?

[ 01-19-2006, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]

I like SMB's.

They do seem more popular in Western, but I think they'd be fine in dressage.

They seem to offer lots of all around support and protection, but the one thing I was concerned about is the heat getting trapped in. Anyone know anything about that?

[smiley Wavey]

I have used SMB's, Classic Equines and polos. I like the Classic Equine's better than the SMB's. My horse likes polos the best.

As far as heat getting trapped in, you really should not put boots or polos on, until right before you are going to ride and then you should take them off right away, as soon as you are done riding. [Wink]

I have SMB's, Classic Equine Legacies, lots of polos andalso plain old neoprene splint boots. I admit it... I'm a boot junkie. [Razz]

My favorites by FAR are the Classic Equine Legacies. In my opinion, they are costructed much better than the SMB's, they breathe well (for a sport boot), they have great protection both from knocks and with provided support, and they're easy to put on and take off.

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

hmm yeah, everyone really likes these boots. I may have to invest in a pair.

A pair?? They sell them in pairs, but I would need front and back for Razzle. Plus since I have Gabrielle riding him as well, I would need to have two sets so that I could have one at the barn and one in the wash. So at $60 at pair, that is a $240 investment. Too spendy for me. That's why I opted for polos.

~Shelly~

lol, i would only need 2 pair so thats not too bad! I bet if i did a search i could find them for less than $60!

quote:

but the one thing I was concerned about is the heat getting trapped in. Anyone know anything about that?

yeah i have the same problem and i really didnt like that because i didnt want to attrack heat to Gatsbys tendon injury!

I've never heard of dressage sport boots until this post, but they look interesting. I personally have SMBII's and polos, both of which I use to prevent brushing or nicks. I don't beleive that any boot provides support in the sense that people would like to think they do.

quote:

Originally posted by Santas_Girl:

I don't beleive that any boot provides support in the sense that people would like to think they do.

I would actually like to think that they don't provide a huge amount of support, because if they did they would inhibit the horse's amazing ability to have not just muscles, but bones, tendons, etc. also strengthen. That strengthening happens because of use and some level of strain, though not enough to cause injury, that causes the body to react by strengthening.

However, I do like my horse's protective boots to have the fetlock support and some level of overall support. It may not be a ton, so it still allows her body to strengthen itself, but if it's enough to provide some protection to her limb, I'm all for it.

quote:

Originally posted by luvhorses223:

I like the looks of those, a woman who used to board where I do had them and liked them.

I go the Dover Pro Sport boots (one pair) for shows...do you guys think that I should return them for the Neoprene pair?
[Confused]

I have them with the fleecey stuff and they're fine. They do take a couple rides to break in but I really haven't had a problem with them. I use them for jumping not dressage though.

Personally, I started using just splint boots a few years ago. I like easy on and easy off. I don't like dealing with polos. (If I were showing, I'd use polos for warmup on the show grounds tho ... for appearance sake only).

There are ordinary splint boots that are much cheaper, mold nicely to the leg and provide plenty of protection. I see they have the same things in "hunter" style at a cheaper price.

I gave up on the SMBs when I moved to Florida because they were just too hot. I'm using neoprene splints right now and I haven't had a problem since I hose both the boots and the horses off and sponge on a leg bracer at the end of each work session.

I never work my horses with no boots.

The problem with SMB's is that they soak up lots of water, so you pretty much can't ride even when it's damp. They also retain heat extremely well, and when it's very hot under those boots, it can help cause a bowed tendon.

hesacatch, that is part of the reason why I sold my SMB II's, my horses's legs almost seemed to be quite warm, and I take my boots off right after our workout, so it's not like they're on for that long.

I think I am going to stick with the Dover Pro boots, I'll let you know how they work out.

I've been using polo wraps recently, as my splint boots are in the wash, but I like the neoprene splint boots as they don't trap heat in and are easy on-off.

[smiley Wavey]

[ 01-21-2006, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

I have a hot pink pair of SMB Elites for Sally's front legs. [Razz] In my opinion, they're excellent; so uncomplicated in design that even I can put them on without my mother's assistance (unlike polo wraps). They are specifically designed to cradle and support tendons and ligaments, which is especially beneficial to Sally because she suffered a (minor? I never learned the details) suspensory injury the summer before I got her.

So yes, I recommend them, even though they are a little pricey (I bought mine for around $98 at the Equine Affaire), they offer superior leg protection.

My horse gets to irritated with SMB's and Classic Equine's that I just went back to polos with him. Polos are actually just as easy and fast to put on, once you get the hang of them and wrap them correctly. I can put mine on just as fast as the boots and my horse is more comfy! [big Grin]

But, it really is a matter of preference, what you personally prefer. If you use boots, don't put them on until right before you ride and immediately take them off when you are done, so the heat does not stay trapped in!

quote:

Originally posted by Remmie:

I never work my horses with no boots.

Ditto!! Raz either has polos or boots on every ride every time, no exceptions. I always polo wrap him, but Gabrielle isn't very good with polo wraps, so I keep a set of clean splint boots in the locker at all times for her to use when she rides Raz.

~Shelly~

tackoftheday.com has some nice looking dressage boots today for all of you who were thinking of buying some. They're only $27.50.

If you're not familiar with the site they have a different item or sometimes two items that change each day, at discouned pricing. So.... the boots won't be on there any more tomorrow [Wink]