Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 6

Sorry guys, didn't see that the last one died off the page! So here's a brand new one for everyone [smiley Wavey]

Anything non dressage related can go here, as I'm trying to keep the rest of the dressage board, dressage related.

This means if you are talking about a great dressage ride, different dressage techniques, equitation, dressage saddles, etc. please post a new thread on the dressage forum itself to keep it lively [Wink] This thread will be specifically for other disciplines of horseback riding, perhaps throw in some h/j, wp, trail riding etc. stories, horse health if need be, personal account, and whatever else you feel like posting. Please keep some common sense about when posting comments as to not blatantly offend another, and please keep the HC Golden Rules in mind.

That being said if you have a thread deleted, and it wasn't because it was getting out of hand, check here first or check to see if it was moved to a more appropriate forum, I'll always PM to let you know what happened to the thread unless it got lost beyond my knowledge or the Admin deleted it. [Wink] HTTY and enjoy!

Well, after all that debating about letting Layla go on a trial or not, the trainer said that the family had a few other horses in GA they wanted to look at and would get back to me. Ugh. Whatever; nothing I can do but dont act like you are SO serious and ask me that question and when I finally decide to give it a chance, just up and leave.

The truck is in the shop. Its been ticking since I bought the thing. Every time I took it in, I was told there wasnt anything or it was b/c the oil needed changing. NEVER was it addressed or taken care of.

I had Randy come in with me this last time, and low and behold, they HEAR it. And they are fixing it.

So its my phaser. Basically my truck has an adjustable cam that automatically adjusts the timing and the thing that adjusts it was ticking. Nothing major but it needs replacing so it doesnt make noise. So of course they wanted to keep it over night. So I said give me a car to drive.

Oh no. Ford doesnt do that. Kinda funny b/c I got one last year when they needed my truck ALL day long. So I asked if there was a manager I could speak to. The guy says yes but it wont do me any good. [Duh]

So I get the manager on the phone, tell him how totally disgusted I am with every service Ive had at this dealership, how I was ignored about the sound that was magically heard with my fiance there with me, how my truck was SCRATCHED so deep it needs to be repainted by the service detail guys for my SPECIAL washing for buying the truck and it still hasnt been fixed, and how the trucks been doing this when I bought it brand new for $30k.

He called me back 10 mins later and said they would have a car for me.

[Roll Eyes]

Of course, they said it should be done Friday. Well here its Sat and no word. I refuse to go back to that place. Totally uncalled for.

Love the truck. Hate the service.

Anyways, thats my rant.

I just got home about 30 mins ago. Going to head to bed and go to a tack store thats closing tomorrow and everythings 50-75% off. YAY.

^^ Ugh, that's annoying, to say the very least.

Horse selling has been hard for me...I've had some bites. Some people simply DO NOT understand the meaning of "intermediate rider or above."

I hope the people end up still wanting to purchase Layla!

[smiley Wavey]

Well we went to Blue Ribbon Equine today and purchased a lot of stuff. Should have spent just over $350 and spent $215. I got a few bits, an Ariat vest, fly sheet, figure 8 bridle, curry combs, cross ties, thermometer for the barn, buckets, etc. Everything was 60-75% off. Sarah got an RJ Classics show jacket for $55 and a Weatherbeeta Landa blanket thats $100 for $25. REALLY great deals.

Was going to ride but we had really high winds and then my lower back started KILLING me. It was hard to walk. So we went to my new house to drop off some of the barn items and see the progress. They are totally done sheetrocking and are going to be sanding, painting, trimming, and getting us in soon.

[Yay]

Hi Everyone! I haven't been on the boards for a while. I've been crazy busy.

A couple weeks ago we had a major snowstorm here. Worked for me because my job let us go home at lunch! [Jump]

I also have not been riding lately. My trainer has been riding my horse for me one-two times a week, and I have been continuing the lunge and in-hand work.

Why am I not riding? Well it was a joint decision my husband and I made when we found out we are expecting. We're due in September/October. [big Grin]

In the mean time, i've been trying to sell some stuff to get some extra money. Mostly these old stamps I have lots of. Unfortunately, e-bay has not been my friend. So, I may put an ad in the local paper.

Well that's all from me.

Congratulations, SG. That is very exciting news.

My son was born in Oct. and my mare was also pregnant at the same time. I rode up through the month of March and then quit because she was 9 months pregnant herself and neither one of us felt like it! Ha ha. She foaled in June and then I attempted to ride her a couple of times in July, but by then I was 7 months along myself and it was very uncomfortable. Course all we were doing during any of this time was very light riding. We took maternity leave together! Worked out great. The mare and foal were turned out daily and I had a nice break, while waiting for my son to be born.

It is a very exciting and special time in your life! [Angel]

I've been pretty busy myself lately and haven't been able to visit much.

Krazy--I'm so sorry the deal with Layla didn't work out. Take heart, it's probably for the best. I have to admit, selling horses is my least favorite thing to do, right up there with dental work and asking strangers for money... [Wink] Just keep on keeping on, she'll go to the right home eventually.

SG--CONGRATS!!! How wonderfui for you!! But remember unless the doc says otherwise, you can probably ride until you get too uncomfortable. I wouldn't give up on it completely, but of course your doc has the last word.

As for me, we just finished re-fi'ing our house for the upteenth time, pulling out a bunch of cash to invest and fix up the place. I'm going to be shopping for a kitchen remodeler here shortly, and we're putting in new windows and hopefully a new set of garage doors (we have a 3-car). Also, we're pulling out a HUGE ficus tree that's overgrowing the house and sending roots into the next county, which isn't going to be cheap, either. But at least the place will be livable after that.

Work is just something I do to fill up 8 or 10 hours of my day anymore...but I'm looking into a little business venture with a guy from our church, something that I can do part-time until it gets going and then I'll fire my boss and get the heck outta here.

Other than that, things are just peachy. [big Grin] Jag's doing great, he's turning into a really special horse. My trainer loves him, the assistants all love him, and I'm still in training wheels on him (I'm riding him in my western saddle until we're used to each other). Unfortunately, the weather forecast here is Noahadic rains for the next couple of days, so riding will be a nonevent till things dry out. I can only get there 2 days a week...so it's going to be a slow process for him & me.

But he's going to be in his first show on April 8!! Can't wait to see how he does... [Jump]

Congratulations, SG. That's great news! Are you pony shopping yet? It's never too early for a lead line pony. lol.

Deeque, best of luck with Jag at his show. Don't worry about the training wheels. They'll come off before too long. In the meantime, you can let the more experienced riders introduce new concepts to him while you are working on more basic tasks. Then when you are both ready to move on, he'll already have an idea of what you are asking.

I got home about midnight last night after a mini family reunion and birthday party with family in Iowa. My mom, an uncle, and three cousins all celebrated their respective birthdays in January and February. The party was on Saturday. We had about twenty people together in one aunt's house celebrating. I also took the chance to go by Drake University and look around. Theirs is one of four law schools I have applied to in the last week. The applications are in, fees are paid, and financial aid information filled out. I can see that one of the schools has already requested the score report, recommendations, and transcripts from LSDAS. So now it is just a matter of waiting to hear back from the various schools.

Have a good week, all. Stay warm!

Tracy

I'm mostly just grumpy cause my horse slipped in the mud on Saturday and screwed up her tendon. Not ruptured, but a low bow. Jury is still out on the severity. Vet has me watching for any change until Wednesday.

She is miserable, locked in her stall.

I'm not feeling much love today. [surrender][bang Head][Mad]

TracyA--I couldn't remember who it was that was looking at law school. Were you still applying to Chapman, or was it Claremont here in CA? Anyways, both of those aren't too far from me, and a good friend of mine is a part-time professor in the business school at Chapman..it's a great school.

Dawn--for you [Huggy][Huggy] hopefully the prognosis of the bow won't be too bad. I had a horse with an old bowed tendon, they aren't too inconvenient when they're cold & set, but they can take some babying. Especially if you're not jumping or anything, it's not a death sentence of sorts.

Thanks for the congrats everyone! Hubby and I are very excited. We made a joint decision for me not to ride because Santanna is very, very, very unpredictable. And seeing as we are already considered a high risk pregnancy, we opted for me to keep both feet on the ground. Of course I still go out and groom and play with him, and he gets his lunging and in hand work. And as for riding, a couple rides a week by my trainer can't hurt. [Razz]

Dawn, I hope you get good news from the vet later this week. I'll be thinking good thoughts hoping that the injury isn't too severe.

Deequeue, Chapman was another of the schools I applied to for admission. They are the first to request my scores and letters/transcripts from the central reporting service. I hope that's a good sign. My GPA is ok, but nothing to write home about. The LSAT scores are respectable enough to help me get into most of the schools I applied to, and won't keep me out of any of them. Hopefully the recommendations were good...

Have I mentioned lately that I am a perfectionist and can be rather neurotic? In my head, I am happy with my lsat scores. But emotionally, I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping to do better than I did. Most people would be thrilled. I'm just not. I am not ready to sign up and try again. All I really need is enough to get into at least one law school of my choice, and I did that. Of course, I can't say for sure what score would have been good enough for me to be happy with it emotionally as well as intellectually. I'm not sure there *is* a magic "good enough" number. Yep, neurotic. Or as I admitted to a few relatives, I am a proud member of perfectionists-r-us. [smile] At least I can laugh at myself.

Tracy

Its nice to have most of the regs posting again. I felt a little lost and disconnected! [Wink]

SG, CONGRATS! That is so exciting. Cant wait to find out what it is and see the ultrasound pics!

DQ, Glad Jag is coming along. Things will come together soon. So happy hes turning into a nice guy.

Tracy, GL with the apps. Let us know what happens.

So Im home from work. Long day. But at least I made $87 extra. I bonused over $600-700 for the month of Feb. Woo hoo.

My lower back has been KILLING me. Prob b/c we are jumping again. It started acting up yesterday. Went to the chiro today and she did the stretching where they lay you on the table and lower the part where your legs are and hold each disc and stretch it. It hurt but feels better. Doesnt help Aunt Flow came today so my back is feeling so wonderful... [surrender]

Im going to post this on COTH as well, but if anyone is interested in a TON of old magazines - Horse and Hound, Equus, Practical Horseman, Sporthorse, etc from the last few years - I am giving them away in case anyone wants them. If not, they are going in the recycle bin. We are moving and I am not packing them. They were given to me and I have enjoyed them, so anyone who wants them, let me know and pay for shipping and they are all yours. I need to have them out of here by the end of the week.

Shantel - Sorry to hear about the non-commital buyers with Layla. At least they called you though. Some can just leave you hanging and wondering what the heck happened. Hopefully they will call back and want to proceed further. Car issues are the WORST!!! Jack takes care of all of those details. I hate dealing with mechanics. Hopefully you get your truck back in tip top shape real soon. Great deals at the tack store though!! Congrats on the great work bonus!! Well done!!

SG - How exciting!!! That is fantastic news!!!! Congratulations!!! Are you going to find out if it's a girl or a boy, or let it be a surprise???

DQ - Ooohhhh, house repairs. I HATE house repairs. Such a pain in the neck, and definitely not cheap either. But you gotta do it, right?!?! *sigh* We have to tackle the yard this year. Glad to hear Jag is doing so well, and a show in the plans already. That is great news. I can't wait to hear how he does. Don't forget the pictures!!

Tracy - Glad to hear you got all your applications in and done. Good feeling to be done with that isn't it?!?!? Those applications are so long and tedious. Hmmm . . . perfectionist and neurotic?? Yup, you'll fit right in at law school!!! [big Grin] Sounds to me like you are already well on your way to over analyzing things in a lawyerly way.

Dawn - So sorry to hear about your horse. Fingers crossed that everything turns out okay. Keep us posted.

Sorry I have been absent so long, but things have been downright crazy here. I was away on vacation last week in the Caribbean, so the two weeks leading up to that were all out HECTIC!! I had to have my video made for the audition for the NEDA Spring Symposium. I worked my butt off to get Razzle ready for the taping, set up the lesson for a late Sunday night, then we got nailed with a blizzard that dumped over a foot and a half of snow on us. Had to cancel. We rescheduled for Wednesday late night. It had to be done late at night so that we had an empty arena. We got there and of course after months of Razzle being an angel, he picked THAT night to be a total PIG. He was pulling and leaning and being a jerk like he hasn't been in at least 6 months. It took Julie and I 45 minutes just to get him loose enough to ride the test. Tried the test. No good. Julie told me to edit the sound out of the video and she would coach me the whole way through the test. Rode the test again, and managed to squeak a passable test out of him. PHEW!! Got home close to midnight. Watched the video, and Jack DIDN'T tape the whole test!!! I sat and cried. We were flying out at 4am on Saturday morning and the video had to be made BEFORE we left. Back to barn Jack and went Thursday night for a repeat. Fortunately after a battle ride, Razzle is usually good so Julie was on standby rather than me even having her come to the barn. Raz was much better. I rode the test three times, and WATCHED them while STILL mounted to make sure Jack actually taped them all, and I was happy with them, then we went home. I took the tape to Julie on Friday (I had the day off), and she approved one of the rides. PHEW!!! I edited the tape last night and the package in sitting in front of me right now. I will drop it in the mail today (it has to be postmarked by March 1st). Wish me luck!!

I also signed Razzle and me up for a clinic with Anne Guptill on April 30th. The organizer managed to rearrange the time slots to get me in for a private session. YEAH!!! So now I just need to get my check and Raz's new coggins shipped off to her this week, and that will be all set. I've scheduled Raz to have his hock's redone on Monday. It will be a month earlier than he was originally scheduled to have them done, but if I wait for his original appointment, it will come right when we *might* be at the NEDA Spring Symposium *if* we get selected. I just don't want to take that chance, so I called the vet and had her bump him up to do him early rather than take a chance of having him uncomfortable at a big clinic. Better safe than sorry.

And in the midst of all of the horse and vacation stuff, I have some family crisis going on as well that have been dragging me down. My dad was diagnosed with throat cancer. He has to undergo 6-7 weeks of radiation treatments, and they are giving him a 96% chance of cure. So that's the best news given the diagnosis. I kind of floundered around lost for a few weeks and everything suffered most especially my riding, but the vacation helped me get my head back together and come to terms with everything. For the most part, I think I have things sorted out, and I'm okay for now. My dad is doing great (and so is my mom).

So that's where I have been. Sorry I've been MIA for so long. [smiley Wavey]

~Shelly~

Great to hear from you Shelly! Your video situation sounds frustrating, but at least at the end you had a good test! I hope you get in the NEDA Spring Symposium...that'd be awesome. [smile] I hope you have fun at the clinic in April, get lots of pictures! [big Grin] Prayers for your dad...my dad had a serious case of skin (Melanoma, sp?) cancer about three years ago, but luckily the surgery went well and he hasn't had problems since. I am hoping for the same outcome for your dad. [Angel]

KrazyTBMare - you and your friend sure got some great deals at the tack sale! [shocked] It's good you made some extra $$$, it's always handy [Razz] (especially for us horse owners!). I just got a pair of Riding Sport Full Seat breeches, three 20-quart buckets, 3 bucket snaps, a dress sheet and a show coat bag for $125 (including shippping). Not too bad!

Huge Congrats to you, SG! That is wondeful news! [big Grin] Sounds like you're making a good desicion about not riding Santanna, better safe than sorry.

Tracy - I hope everything law school goes smoothly...keep us updated! I can be a perfectionist at times, at least in terms of cleanliness and oraganization - though I must admit, my tack trunk is cleaner and more organized than the horse right now!

DawnC - prayers for your mare. [Angel] I hope she'll have a speedy recovering...keep us updated!

I am getting more and more nervous and excited for my horse show coming up. I leave with two friends and my trainer on March 17th (a Friday). I am bringing my two horses, and my friends are each bringing a horse. My trainer isn't riding, but she will be coaching us and trailering us. It's going to be rather expensive, but experience is priceless, right!? I have SIX tests to memorize...four at First Level (tests 1 thru 4) and two at Second (tests 1 & 2). My trainer will be warming us all up, and so its unlikely she'll be able to read for us, but no matter what I need to have my tests memorized.

It was nice to hear from some of you again!

[smiley Wavey]

Wow everyone's been busy.

I haven't ridden much lately as my pony-who-occasionally-thinks-he's-being-attacked-by-cougars-and-runs-for-his-life decided he was being attacked by cougars a couple of weeks ago and took off with me, throwing me into the *very* hard arena fence when he couldn't decide which way he was going to turn and then changed his mind again at the last minute! So I've been nursing a very sore elbow. I did get back on pony again a couple of days ago and he was fine...but he's so sporadic. He's actually only done this to me twice, but both times he felt like he was running for his life. I've been trying to sell him for awhile now as I REALLY need to cut down on the hay bill and he's the only one I would ever sell(time to order hay next month), but seeing as he's got some, uhh, issues...we'll see. I lowered his price significantly and put on the ad that he has bolted with me twice and got several responses from people who didn't seem to mind, but of course there has been no follow through. I will email with someone back and forth for weeks and they say they want to come out on Monday to see him and then I never hear from them again. Why cant they just email me and say they changed their minds? AAAGGHHH!!!! I have disclosed everything there is to know about him and been totally up front and honest with everyone. I am only asking $700 for the horse and he is very talented and capable, but he needs to be ridden consistently (which I have not been able to do). I am starting to think it would be better to just give him away with stipulations to the right person. My husband has been on my case about selling him and (not a horse person) doesn't understand why I won't just sell him to the first person that calls. I am being very picky about where he goes. I have nothing but the horse's best interests and the future owner's best interests at heart. I am not just going to sell him to some cowboy who wants a barrel racing pony for his kid to do playdays on.

OK...sorry about the long vent. I feel better now. Any ideas? Suggestions? Places I should advertise him at? He's on dreamhorse and equine.com right now...any other places that potential buyers frequent but that won't break the bank in advertising fees?

Hey Guys! I've also been MIA for awhile!

Seems like everyone is so busy! me too i'm getting ready for my freshman year of COLLEGE! Also trying to leave high school with a bang(working toward a 3.9 GPA) anf fighting to graduate in the top 10% of my class. Not too much pressure though seeing as I got into all the colleges i applied to including my first choice! [Yay] This week i will be traveling to Rome Ga and are gonna check out my college and a few boarding barns for the Gats man!

Gatsby is doing great, we've really been working hard and he just keeps getting better and better! I think i may actually go to a few clinics this summer! [Eek!][Razz] Then of course in Augest me and Gats are going to make our big move(14 hour trip) from home!

SG- MAJOR CONGRATS!!!! [Huggy] What a wonderful feeling!

DawnC- that sounds like what Gatsby need a few months ago! Praying for the best [Angel]

DQ- glad to hear your riding!! Cant wait for Jags first show!

Tracy- lol sounds like your going through the same thing i am! I feel your pain! [Razz]

Smiths- best wishes for you dad! [Huggy] Good luck with the clinic!

luvhorses- that sounds like so much fun! Best of luck at the show!

wildoaks- thats tough! Sorry i really dont have any suggestions, hopfully others will [Huggy]

Hello Boocoo, Krazy, Inky, and lightness!!!

Well I just rode and he (wild runaway man) was very well-behaved and nothing but a gentleman. He started off a little lazy but I made him move out as the last thing I need is a pony who won't go and then when he does, bolts! [Roll Eyes]

Then I got on Seamus, who is also a bit of a squirrely wid man, and compared to Jonny he feels so...solid. I mean that physically, as he has a couple hundred pounds on Jonny easily, but also mentally...he was quiet, pleasant, a little lazy (and he hasn't been ridden in two weeks!) and seemed happy to be out. I just trotted around the arena a couple of times and then went on a ride around the front yard to get his mind back in "riding mode," but it felt GOOD to have two nice, short rides on obedient ponies.

Hello to all. Glad to see everyone back. Smithereens, anxious to hear how your video turns out. Hope your Dad is doing well. That is a tough one.

BQD, you go girl! That is an awesome gpa. Keep up the good work.

Tracy, hope you get into the school of your choice. Come out here to Cal. Lots of great weather, except for today, and tons of dressage.

WildOaks. hope you are doing all right to. That sounds like a tough one to. I'd take him if I had horse property and were closer. But we won't be looking to buy till next spring and I can not board two horses.

Krazy, selling horses is always hard. I went through 6 months of it last year. Finally sold one and he went to a great dressage home. It will all work out eventually.

Luvhorses. your show sounds like fun. Can't wait to see pics.

Ok guys, I am biting the bullet and doing my first rated show on March 11th. It is a triple rated show! [Eek!] But I am feeling a lot more confident than i was last fall and my horse is doing fabulous. We are going to be doing Training level this year. We finally graduated from Intro. He has finally put on all that much needed weight and I actually had to cut him back a tad. I will also be showing him on April 8th at the same show that Deequeue is having her Jag shown. I am very excited about meeting her and Jag. Then we have a schooling show at my barn on May 14th, then tons more shows to go to through out the summer. Most of them are rated and a couple of them are schooling shows. I have learned how to braid and got some new show boot and just can't wait to get going!

Went to the dentist for a root canal this a.m. I was quite nervous about that. It was my bottom left molar. When I had the right bottom molar done, they could not get me numb enough and I kept coming up out of the chair. [shocked] That was a different dentist about 6 years ago. This dentist was awesome, fast and I didn't feel a thing! Woohoo!

My son came home with an awesome report card today, including an A in math. He has struggled with math the last couple of years, so I am immensely proud of him and all his hard work. He has really been working hard. I am taking him after school tomorrow to buy him something that he wants, as his reward!

That's it for now. See you all later!

[ 02-28-2006, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

[Eek!] Wow, everyone's been busy.

BQD--good job with that GPA!! and good luck in school. Glad to hear you're taking the Gats-man with.

Smith--so sorry about your dad. My dad got prostate CA and went through all kinds of he(( with radiation and all. He lived another 5 years, which is what the docs gave him, and died in his sleep, at home, next to my mom. Thank goodness your dad has a pretty good prognosis.

And good luck with NEDA.

WO--I had the exact same problem when I was looking for a horse to buy. People just don't respond, don't follow up, it's really frustrating. You're doing all the right things, but is there a local horsey want-ads kind of thing that you can post in? Here in CA we have CA Horsetrader, like an AutoTrader for horses. Sometimes the best buyer is just a few miles away and you just need to make a connection. Another suggestion is to make flyers to put up at the local dressage shows, check with the show management first if it's okay.

Luv--good luck at your show! There's no way I could memorize 2 tests, let alone 6...but you'll do wonderfully, I just know it.

Boo--can't wait to see you and your boy on April 8th.... [Jump]

luvhorse - GOOD LUCK at your horse show!! Sounds like a blast. 6 tests sure will be a challange - mentally and physically. I am always wiped out after 1 horse and 2 tests and 1 day. I can't imagine 2 horses, 2 tests each over 2 days. You are right though, this will be a great experience for you. Nothing like logging a whole SLEW of show miles back to back in the same weekend to fix mistakes and conquer nerves right there on the spot without having to wait "until the next show". Make sure to get us tons of pictures.

WOF - That is definitely a dilemma you have there. I totally understand your caution in selling Jonny to the right home. I had the same problem when I was selling my less than reliable flighty TB. You are doing the right thing by being open and honest, but that means it will take a lot longer to sell him. You are already advertising on the two sites that I used when I listed my horse, so unfortunately I don't have any other brilliant suggestions for you. In the end, I traded my horse to the horse broker I got Razzle from in exchange for Razzle. The horse broker retired my horse for me as he was an aging TB with "issues". I'm glad to hear that you weren't hurt badly in your fall and that you have had a good ride on him since. Glad to hear that Seamus is doing good as well.

BQD - That is a FANTASTIC GPA!!! Well done!!! I'm not surprised that you got into every college that you applied to with that GPA. I'm really happy to hear how well Gats is doing. Have fun scoping out new barns near college for him. How exciting that you get to take him with you to school!!!

Boocoo - I'm happy with how the video turned out, now it's just a waiting game. They said that the results should be announced around March 13th, so I don't have to wait too long which is a good thing since I haven't bothered to make any trailering arrangements!! I waffle between being really excited and thinking "I CAN be selected" and "there is NO way I can be selected". I know they get hundreds of demo tapes so I am trying not to get my expectations too high. One of my friends did have a good point the other day though that most of the tapes they get are probably from professionals trying to get selected with their GP level horses, so hopefully the competition won't be as fierce for the 1st Level spot. Maybe?!?!?! Who knows!!! The next two weeks are going to DRAG by that's for sure!!! Glad to hear you are biting the bullet and going to a rated show!! You are sooo ready for this. You have been working you butt off very hard this winter. All that prep work is definitely paying off. It is high time you two strut your stuff in a Training Level class. Go knock 'em dead. And get us tons of pics!! Glad to hear your root canal went well. I HATE dentists!!

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes for my dad. We are hoping that he will just sail on through the radiation treatment, and that will be it. He is pretty young (57) and healthy, so hopefully it will be a quick, relatively painless process - and then never come back.

~Shelly~

So is this a good thing or a bad thing????

The deadline for the audition tapes for the NEDA Spring Symposium WAS March 1st, BUT it has now been extended to March 8th. ????

Julie was very happy with the news and called me immediately to tell me. She interprets it to mean that they did not get nearly enough demo tapes and had to extend the deadline in hopes of encouraging more people to submit tapes.

I was NOT happy for two reasons: #1 - they originally said they would notify the applicants by March 13th, so if they extend the deadline by a week, are they also planning on extending the notification period by a week?? I can't wait another week!!! AND #2 - people have had more than ample opportunity to send in their applications, so I see no reason to extend the deadline and give anyone else a chance to send in a tape. I managed to do it and squeeze in a vacation. Besides, the less tapes they get, the better my chances of being selected. Nothing self-motivated there!!!

*sigh*

I checked the NEDA site. They are still saying they will notify applicants by March 13th even though they have extended the deadline, but still . . . I'm not pleased by this change of deadlines.

~Shelly~

Edited to add: I had to search all over the NEDA site before I finally found it, BUT . . . Julie was correct. Response was very low. They didn't get very many tapes at all. In fact, several levels didn't get any applications at all. Boy, this is going to make it REALLY hard not to get my hopes up now.

[ 03-01-2006, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

Smithereens, thanks for the positive thoughts. I believe we are ready for this show. I had a really good ride today and have even been mastering the stretchy circle in preperation for test 3 & 4.

I know how you feel about the deadline being extended. But, I think if people were going to do this, they would have met the deadline of March 1st. So hopefully they won't all be sending in videos at the last min. You got your in and you will know by the 13th if you are going or not. Sounds like you stand a very good chance.

quote:

So is this a good thing or a bad thing????

The deadline for the audition tapes for the NEDA Spring Symposium WAS March 1st, BUT it has now been extended to March 8th. ????

Julie was very happy with the news and called me immediately to tell me. She interprets it to mean that they did not get nearly enough demo tapes and had to extend the deadline in hopes of encouraging more people to submit tapes.

I guess it has some good and bad points - it must be hard not to get your hopes up! I really do hope you snag that spot, it'd be awesome. I'll cross my fingers (and toes!) for you.

I am now even MORE nervous about the show...my trainer is in the process of getting back her part time nursing job, so she will be busy on weekends and week days, which means I will have one, *maybe* two lessons before the show, and neither of my horses will have training from her for at least the entire month of March! I just need to remember that I am there for experience and fun. It would be nice to do well on Alibi, as she is for sale, and I am showing her to get her noticed, but I won't worry. It'll just make things worse. I'll get lots of pictures! [smile]

I talked to the dressage show Secretary, and apparently I can't do First Level Test 3, so I am doing First Level Tests 1, 2 and Test 4 twice...so that's one less test to memorize. Only 5 to memorize now! [Wink][Razz]

Boocoo - have fun at the show! I'm sure you'll do awesome. Get lots of pictures! [big Grin]

I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but that is a FABULOUS GPA, BQD! You deserve to get in the college of your choice.

Any news on Layla, KrazyTBMare?

[smiley Wavey]

Luvhorses, why can't you do first test #3? I am sure you will do fine. Don't sweat the small stuff. I'll tell you what has really helped me on the advice of Smithereens and another person on another BB. Jane Savoie's book, "That Winninf Feeling" Get it and read it before the show. It is awesome. You get lots of pictures to.

I know for a fact that the photographer at the show I am going to takes tons of pics of each rider, so I will post the link after the show, once they are posted on her web site. She is a great photographer.

Boocoo - DARN those stretchy circles!!! Razzle and I have been working on those for what seems like FOREVER. He just could not get the hang of stretching to save his life. Even when I thought we had a nice stretchy circle at home, OH NO, get him to a show, and it was NO WHERE to be found. I have finally, finally, finally gotten him to really learn how to stretch for real, and now Julie has started us on the canter stretchy circle. ARRRGGGHHH!!! It is never ending!!!! We still need to go back and master that blasted free walk. He stretches down so nicely at home, but at a show, he giraffes up to take in all the sights. Silly beast.

Luvhorses - Okay, WHY can't you do First Level 3???? I don't get it??? Sorry to hear that you are having to cut back on lessons and training right before the show, but I'm sure you will do fine. You are ready. Just keep on practicing, and everything will go just great.

Boocoo - Glad to hear you are finding the book helpful!! I love that book. The power of positive thinking. She has such a great way with words and imagery. Glad to hear that there will be a professional photographer at your show. That means we will get lots of pics of both you and DQ's horse Jag since you will both be at the same show!! How exciting!!

~Shelly~