Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 6

I found a person who is whiling to trade her nice used dressage saddle for my used trail saddle. I was wondering if any of you have ever had a saddle re-stuffed or fitted to your horses? Will they give you an estimate on how much it will cost first and then re-stuff it or is it a wait and see kind of deal? How much did it cost you to get your saddle personal sized?

Thank you, Rachel

Boocoo and Smithereens...

I apparently can't do 1st level test 3 because I can only do two tests of choice (per horse, I think), and therefore I can't do test 3. 1st level test 4 was a class, so that doesn't count as a test of choice, and since I only get two tests of choice, I had to pick between test 3, 2 and 1, so I picked tests 1 and 2, and I am doing test 4 twice. Pretty odd/confusing, huh? I myself don't understand it really, but oh well.

If my trainer has a spot this coming Saturday for a lesson, I am going to take it and I have one Sunday too, so two in a row!

Alibi is the harder horse of the two (Teddy isn't hard, actually, you just have to ask for things correctly), and I have more to work on. Should I do BOTH lessons on her, or just one? I can't decide! [Confused]

Smithereens, Beau and I have been working on the stretchy circle for what seems like forever! We still aren't there yet, but he is putting his head down and reaching forward. Just have to get him to lead with his nose and not his ears.

There will be a photographer at my show on March 11th. I don't know about the show on April 8th, which is the one that Deequeue will be at also. I am assuming they will have a pro photographer at that one to. It is a CDS rated show!

And yes that book was awesome. Finished it last night and now I am starting her next one. It's Not All About The Ribbons! [Confused] huh? I always thought it was. I especially like the pretty blue ones! [ROTFL] JK!!!! Anyway, I am sure it will also be extremely beneficial.

Luvhorses, I am completely confused, but I am sure you are going to do awesome!

I am completely confused too, lol!

I have bad news...Alibi is lame. [Frown] It's her left fore. She is in a stall right now (which she hates, she's used to a huge pasture with a large run in shed), but she'll be turned out in a individual paddock tomorrow. I rubbed in some liniment and me, my trainer and the barn "worker" will all be keeping an eye on her. The show is in 2 weeks, so I hope everything will be okay. It's bad though, I REALLY need the extra practice, and I doubt she'll be okay for my lesson this weekend, which might be my last one before the show!

I guess it's no use to worry, but this sure is bad timing. :-(

Just pray that it's nothing more than a few days can heal...

Bad timing is a pain to deal with! Some people at my barn just had to put their horse on a very long stall-rest as the vet told them too.....a bummer too when training is going so well!

I went and saw that Dutch gelding today. Im going to make a serperate post about it WITH PICS. Go check it out.

Plus its my bday today so we are going out to eat later and my parents got me SOMETHING but wont tell me what it is b/c they ordered it and its not in yet. [Question]

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

I'm sorry Alibi is off. I hate it when horses are hurting. [Frown]

I had a new experience last Wednesday. In our lesson, my trainer had us try for a few steps of a half pass. [Eek!] Have I mentioned lately that I ride at a hunter jumper barn? Granted, we focus more on the dressage foundation than most places I have been. We do plenty of lateral work, but I've never been asked for a half pass before. Nor I think has my horse. I'm told we managed a few steps, though it was hard to feel. I don't know... I'm not convinced we are ready for a half pass. But it was fun to try.

Today, I was happy to find that Fessor was feeling great. He's been a bit sore behind lately. The cold weather lately hasn't helps, nor has my busy schedule that has interfered with riding. But today, he was sound as a rock. No funny steps, nice and forward, and reasonably straight. We went ahead an worked on our lateral work. While trotting, we did a bit of shoulder in, haunches in, and leg yield both toward and away from the track. Then just for fun, we tried to leg yield at the canter. [smile] I think we managed a bit. I'm not sure how much crossing over we managed, but the shoulders and haunches stayed in the same plane. Not too bad for a first attempt, eh?

Have a good weekend, all.

Tracy

[bang Head] I swear my saddle is cursed! I had it on eBay, and gave them a second chance offer that was 350 lower than what I would really like to get for it. I could have sworn I had this saddle sold. It was basically down to the last message, before she confirmed buying it. Then she comes back with an offer 300 LESS than what the second chance offer was (almost half of the second chance offer, and 2/3 less than the original price) because she wasn't sure about the position of the stirrup bars. [bang Head] Luckily, the other person who was bidding is a well known trainer in the Spokane area and left me a very nice message offering to help me sell my saddle, as she thinks she can have it sold within a few days due to her connections. Gah!!!! So frustrating

SG: CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'd been wondering why you hadn't been posting much lately [big Grin] So the dressage board has a baby watch now? [Wink]

Shantel, I completely sympathize, while Inky's just now getting ready to be sold, I've had a heck of a time with my saddle. And the dang Ford Explorer seems like it's been breaking down every two weeks. Wish we had some close out sales around here, wait nevermind, I have no money to spend on them lol! We only have one tack shop around here as it is.

DQ Good luck at your show, you will be sharing pitures with us right? [big Grin] We haven't seen pics of your new boy in awhile!

TracyA: Good luck with your school, my sister actually just got out of law school last May. Her last year was driving her crazy! Course that probably doesn't sound very encouraging to you lol. Glad to hear Fessor's doing well!

Dawn: How's the girl doing now? Hope the injury wasn't too severe

Smith: [Angel] for your father. Sounds like some of my bad horse luck was rubbing off on you for awhile there [Crazy] Glad you finally got that video made, and good luck on the audition!

luv, good luck on your horse show too! That's coming up real soon isn't it! Hope Alibi is feeling better soon.

Oh good Lord Wild Oaks, now you're putting the fear of God in me for selling Inky and Buster lol Hope it takes a turn for the better soon. Hope that elbow feels better too!

BQD, Have a great time with college! [big Grin] Feel free to PM me with any questions, unfortuantly I'm still in it lol You need to update us on Gatsby more often!

Boocoo: Good luck on your show, sheesh I can't believe it's show season already. Back home show season didn't start up till Memorial Day.

Wild N Out: Never had to have a saddle restuffed/flocked before, you may want to try posting about it on the GHT, as I know we have some saddle makers on this board.

Inky, have you ever tried www.equine.com to sell your saddle. I have had good luck with them.

Thanks for the congrats on the show.

Shantel, hope the horse works out for you!

Oh it's been posted everywhere Boocoo, it's not a brand name type saddle however, and people are always turned away when they can't find any information on it. Just talked to the trainer in Spokane about it, and she says she has about 6 people looking for saddles right. She'll be in Germany week after next, but I can take it up to her one of the weekends, and she will show it to her clients. HER trainer is also Pat Kabasa (the trainer I was actually thinking of sending Inky too!) and so she's going to see if Pat will take the saddle to some clinics as well. Since I asked 650.00 for it, I'd get that, and she would get the difference as her consigment for the saddle. Now I just have to cross my fingers that someone will like it!

Well best of luck getting it sold. I know you have been trying for a while. I should think at that price it would sell quick.

I'm trying not to mourn Fessor before I need to find another home for him. I am working on the assumption that I will be in law school this fall. Our time together has been mostly fun, but occasionally bittersweet. At least I'm remembering to have fun now rather than worry about what comes later. Once I have acceptance letters I will start finding him a home.

First option will go to his former owner. If she is unable to give Fessor a home, the next option is to donate him to a therapeutic riding center. Fessor's temperment is perfect, and he leads fine even with only partial vision. I'm not sure what option three is, so hopefully one of the first two options will work out. When the time comes.

I had to laugh at myself this evening. I received a very slender envelope from U. of Iowa. And I was almost afraid to open it. Acceptance letters are almost always BIG envelopes. This was neither. Instead, it is a password for the web based student service center. Silly me. [smile] I'm not out of the running yet...

Tracy

Wild - Sorry, I have no idea on a price. I've never had a saddle re-stuffed.

Boocoo - I had a problem getting Raz to lift his back and really use himself in the stretchy circle. He wanted to just push his nose out and RUSH ahead. OR, he would do what Beau is doing and reach down, but curl and lead with his ears instead of his nose. At shows, he would just giraffe up taller and taller. Now finally at home, I have lifting his back, reaching under further with his hind end and stretching his nose as far as I will allow him to take the bit. That was a hard one to achieve. Now I have to see if I can get that in the show ring as well. I also need to teach him to do this at the walk. I actually got him to do it at the canter in Saturday's lesson as well!! [Eek!] I couldn't believe it. I got two whole circles before I lost it, and he broke to trot. The canter stretchy circle was much harder because even after I got it, if I came off my seat, or let my half halts lapse for even a stride, he lost the quality of the stretch, and I had to re-establish it. I had to maintain the stretch and keep asking for it every single second, and keep asking for the canter every stride, or it was gone. And DON'T get sucked into leaning forward or throwing away your rein contact. See all the fun things waiting just around the corner for you, Boocoo!!! [big Grin]

Luvhorses - so sorry to hear about Alibi!!! I hate when they do this right before a show. How is she doing??? Hopefully she is all better by now.

Shantel - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (a little late, but better than never [big Grin] ) So, what did you get????

Tracy - If you can do leg yield, shoulder-in and haunches-in, then you ARE ready for half pass!! I know how you feel though. HALF PASS!!! [Eek!] Stop thinking of it like that, or you will do yourself in right there. All a half pass in is, is a haunches in on the diagonal. That's it. However, Julie explained it to me in an even EASIER way to help Raz and me get it even faster. Bend the horse in the direction you want to go, and then think, "Let's go over here!". Look where you want to go, bend in that direction, and GO!! It is EASIER than leg yield because you get to keep your bend. Leg yield requires the horse to be almost straight which is really hard to do. With the initial half pass, worry first about forward and bend, then ask for the sideways movement. Don't worry about perfection at first. Just get the feel for it and introduce it to the horse. Clean it up and perfect it once you both get the idea of it into your heads.

Inky: Good luck selling your saddle. Your sure have put enough effort into selling it so that it should have sold 10 times over by this point.

Tracy: I hope you find just the right place for Fessor to go when you go to law school. There is no way for you to keep him??? BTW, my acceptance letters came in small envelopes!! [Wink]

Well, the organizer for the NEDA Symposium e-mailed me that she has received my video application, so that is done. She said they would be reviewing all the videos this Friday to make final decisions, and hopefully notifying everyone on Monday. The suspense is killing me. Razzle had his hocks done yesterday. Everything went well, and he is on stall rest and limited turn out this week recovering. We will be back to riding next week. Julie's baby shower was Saturday, and it was fantastic. I had my lesson on Sunday, and Julie pretty much killed me. I am still limping around in pain, but it was the best lesson I have had in months. Razzle tried to be a brat, but I managed to get him sorted out, and we had an amazing ride. I can't wait for his week of stall rest to be over so I can climb back in the saddle again!!! That will give me 3 weeks to prep for the NEDA Symposium (if I get selected). I am confident I can have us ready after the lesson we had Sunday. WOW!! I think I could have him ready to do a Second Level clinic in fact - maybe not, but it was an amazing lesson. [Razz]

I think I had really hit a wall before vacation, emotionally, mentally and physically with riding. My last several rides before I left were not pretty. Raz and I were just not connecting, and I knew it, but I couldn't fix it. I couldn't find that magic to save my life. And then the Friday before I left, I had one final lesson. It wasn't a total disaster, but it wasn't great. Just kind of so-so. At the end of it, Julie gave me a really harsh lecture about needing to step it up and really improve my riding or else I would never be able to make the leap to Second Level. It was a brutal lecture that I needed to hear, but the timing of it was really harsh. She was right to deliver the lecture to me before vacation though. It gave me a lot to think about while I was away. And think I did. For an entire week her words and my bad rides circled endlessly in my head, but I managed to find myself and refresh myself while I was away. I spent a lot of time sitting by the pool reading some pretty hefty books on Dressage. Somewhere in there, I rediscovered my motivation. I came home refreshed and ready for the new show season.

In my absence, apparently Razzle was not so good. He had hit the wall along with me, and when I left for vacation, he got MAD. He took it out on everyone and everything. I got complaints from just about everyone that POOR Razzle missed me. He was uncharacteristically aggressive towards the other horses and people in the barn, charging people and horses as they walked past his stall. [Eek!] He BROKE the chain on his lead rope at some point during the week, never did find out how or when. ??? Gabrielle said he was an absolute terror in all of her rides. Julie said he was so awful to Gabrielle in her lessons that she (Julie) almost got on (at 8 months pregnant) to teach him a lesson or two. [shocked] As soon as I walked into the barn though, he was the perfect angel he always is. I'm not sure who was happier to see me though - Razzle or the rest of the boarders!!! HA!!!!

~Shelly~

Aww, Shelly. That's great to hear that Raz missed you. Not so great on his behavior while he was gone, but it's nice to know that your love is returned. [smile]

When I say I can do shoulders in, haunches in, and leg yield I don't claim they are anywhere near competition ready. I can get them without too much trouble and hold for several steps. But all three still need work. I'm sometimes late getting what I want, or I rush and ask for too much, or... Can you see in my typing how wound up I sometimes get? lol.

I would LOVE to take Fessor with me. I just don't see a way to work it out. It would require working full time and school part time, which might be an option but not my first choice. And after school and work, I worry that I wouldn't have any time left over. IDK. Maybe if I go in the midwest and find somewhere to pasture board. I wonder if my parents would help me keep him as a pasture pet in somebody's field for a few years??? If he still had sight, I'd at least consider leasing him so I would have him available after I'm done with school. Harrumph. I am going to wait and see where I get in before making any decisions.

Tracy

Shelly , I think we all hit that wall sometimes in our ever quest to better ourselves. But you have a great trainer, wonderful horse and the break was probably good for both of you. Even though Razz may not agree. Beau does the same thing. He totally looses it when I am gone. I have had a lot of horses over the past 30 years and none of them loved me like he does! [Huggy] Sounds like Razz feels the same about you.

Last Thursday I was riding and as I was going to pick up the left lead canter in the corner after K, Beau would suck in to the left and get real pissy. I would send him forward at the trot, come around again and try again, Same thing. One time he got really mad and was leaping and twisting through the air. I got him stopped, spanked him and decided to start over at the walk. About this time I hear my barnlord over by the tractor pipe up "What if you just spurred him and whipped him forward?" [Eek!] I turned and looked at her and said "Oh yeah, that would accomplish a lot. Like send me into the next county." Beau is not the type of horse you do things like that with. He would just get madder. Besides that, I'm sure the problems were me, not him. I started over to the right, came back and tried the left again and we were fine. Then the next day, I worked on that left lead canter transition in the round pen, rode him again yesterday back in the dressage court, and it was horrible out. Cold, windy, cloudy, trying to rain, but we had an awesome ride. Lesson today, good thing, and show this weekend. The weather isn't cooperating to well, so just have to hope and pray it doesn't rain!

Oh yeah, Shelly, lots of fun things to look forward to. I can not imagine trying to start sitting Beau's big bouncy trot! Oie ve! [shocked] I will have my work cut out for me.

Better get going.

Luvhorses, how is Alibi?

Shelly, Glad you had that vacation to let go of the stress and come back new and "GIT R DONE" [Wink] . Thats so weird how Raz was acting.. Go figure!

Tracy, you sound like me when I found out my leasee's trainer rode Layla and worked on canter half pass. I was like WHAT? MY HORSE DOES HALF PASS? LOL I wouldnt think your trainer would have you working on stuff you cant do. Go with it. And dont forget to update us if you get an acceptance letter.

Luv, any word on your mare?

Well, I havent gotten anything for my bday, YET. Apparently my parents got me something and its still in the mail. I have NO CLUE b/c I didnt ask for anything and dont know anything I need. We'll find out soon.

The house is really coming along. They have all the walls in and the ceilings with the putty stuff, so the ceilings are finished. Next is paint and trim. Wooooo hoooooo.

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

When I say I can do shoulders in, haunches in, and leg yield I don't claim they are anywhere near competition ready. I can get them without too much trouble and hold for several steps. But all three still need work. I'm sometimes late getting what I want, or I rush and ask for too much, or... Can you see in my typing how wound up I sometimes get?

But that's it. You have it. It doesn't have to be perfect or competition ready. You are looking to have the basics down, and it sounds like you do. It sounds like you have a good grasp of the difference between getting a shoulder in vs. just bending the neck. THAT is what you need to have and understand. Knowing how to be able to move the shoulders and the haunches around and flex the horse's body around your leg. Once you are capable of that, starting the half pass is simply moving the haunches in exercise from the long side to the diagonal. It is just a conceptual difference that the rider must grasp - not a different exercise. To make the leap from "haunches in" to "half pass" a little easier, try working on haunches in on the second track or down the center line so that you do not have the benefit of the wall to help you out.

quote:

I would LOVE to take Fessor with me. I just don't see a way to work it out. . . . I am going to wait and see where I get in before making any decisions.

Definitely don't rush into any decisions. Wait and see where you get accepted and decide to go. Then scout out the local barns to see what is available for pasture board, or if you can find someone to half lease him in the area, etc. The reason I say this is because I NEVER would have made it through law school without my horse to escape to for riding. My family boarded him for me to help me out, while I was in school, but if I hadn't of had him to ride, I would have gone crazy. I also know that those three years will go by quicker than you think, and when you are done, you will want Fessor back. Just make sure you have explored every avenue before you decide that you have to part with him, and you may have to - just don't rush into that decision.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

Beau does the same thing. He totally looses it when I am gone. I have had a lot of horses over the past 30 years and none of them loved me like he does!
[Huggy]
Sounds like Razz feels the same about you.

Raz has never done this before, so either I left him in just a really BAD state of mind, which is entirely possible as I know he had hit the wall as well, or else we have bonded even more tightly in the past year so that he can't cope with me leaving on vacation. I think it was more the state of mind I left him in though. We have bonded, but generally he copes okay when I am away. I think we were both just so out of sorts right before I left that my leaving just threw him into a tail spin.

quote:

I started over to the right, came back and tried the left again and we were fine.

I've had similar problems with Razzle. Something just won't work in one direction, I turn around adn try the other direction, then when I turn back to the problem direction, we are all set. It's like we are stuck in some rut that I can't see and that change of direction gets us unstuck. The other thing that will help with icky canter transitions - either leg yield or shoulder-in into the canter transition. Either one will set the horse up nicely for a good transition. So if I am really stuck, I start with a couple of counter flexions, a few walk trot transitions, then either a leg yield or a shoulder-in/shoulder-fore and my canter transition.

quote:

Oh yeah, Shelly, lots of fun things to look forward to. I can not imagine trying to start sitting Beau's big bouncy trot! Oie ve!
[shocked]
I will have my work cut out for me.

Don't stress about that too much. As you are teaching him to come into the bridle and use his hind end more and more, you are also teaching him to reach under and lift and use his back. As Beau does this, his trot will get smoother and easier to sit to.

~Shelly~

Shelly, thanks so much for your encouragement. Both in the riding and non riding areas of life!

Now that I'm thinking, if I go to Drake or U. of Iowa I *should* be able to find relatively inexpensive pasture board. I wonder if I could convince the parents to subsidize that? I almost hate to ask, but they can always say no, right? As long as he stays healthy, I could probably pay all his expenses on $5K a year if I stay frugal. Maybe I could half lease him to a 4h group?? Hmmmm. I did look online for boarding places in Iowa over lunch, to get a feel for how much pasture board would cost. Fessor wouldn't mind living outside. I would have more work with a fuzzy mudball, but I think *he* would love it.

If I end up out in CA, all bets are off. It's just too expensive out there to float horse expenses. I wonder if Tyler's family has some land suitable for horses... (a cousin's husband). Hmmmm.

I'll try the conceptual haunches in on a diagonal to half pass and see if I can get it into my brain. [smile] A half pass just sounds so advanced, so sophisticated. That can't be me, can it? [big Grin]

Tracy

I checked on Alibi on Sunday (I had a lesson Teddy) but she was still off [Frown] . I am going to the stable today so we'll see. The show is in 9 days, excluding today. Send the little mare healing thoughts!

Shelly, I can't wait to hear about the NEDA Symposium!!! Hmmm...that is rather odd about Raz. I can't let my friends ride my mare - that's what my trainer told me, and I trust her alot so I go along with it. Has Gabrielle ever ridden Raz before? Maybe he did not like her style of riding...? But that doesn't explain the ground-manners behavior. Sounds like you guys have a good connection though, bad rides or not (we all have 'em!). [smile]

Tracy - I hope that the college/Fessor situation works out for both of you. Keep us updated on the acceptance letter! When I did half pass for the first time, my trainer said "do haunches-in across the diagnol". She still calls it that way too, and I think she does that because our (riders doing it for the first time) first reaction is" oh-my-gosh, HALF PASS!" and then we become tense. I find it helpful thinking of it that way.

Tack Room Too, one of the local tack shops in my area, had their annual sale...I got some good deals: a pair of black knee patch Ariat breeches for $50, they are normally $100, a Kerrits show shirt (not the "regular" show shirt style, it is washable, and uh, I am bad at explaining it, obviously!) for 10% off (normally $45), and a quart of Showsheen for $6.99.

Today my friend and I are getting together and creating a Horse Show Packing list (for horse and rider) and a pre-horse show To Do list. There is so much to bring, and I am bring two horses...its going to be one full trailer!

[smiley Wavey]

[ 03-07-2006, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Well Shelly, you sure have said a lot of things that make sense. For example, when I first got Beau, fresh off the track, he would not pick up the left lead when asking for canter. I was riding him western at this time also. So I would counter flex him and voila' he got it. It never occured to me to try that now. Very good idea. Lesson today was canceled. So cold and the wind is so bad we couldn't see!

Also, the trot smoothing out. That makes all the sense in the world. He is more under himself and getting more balanced all the time.

So sounds like Raz is definitely truly bonding with you. Even leaving him when things weren't so great. He probably wondered where you were, so you two could work things out? What a sweetie. Can't wait to hear about the NEDA clinic either.

Beau on the other hand, never had a person until me and he gets very upset when other people handle him if I am not there. If I am right there, no problem. So I usually just have a friend feed him his extras when i am gone and just leave him in his stall and check on him. He is nervous until I get home. As long as he sees me every day, his little world is just fine! [Cool]

quote:

If I end up out in CA, all bets are off. It's just too expensive out there to float horse expenses. I wonder if Tyler's family has some land suitable for horses... (a cousin's husband). Hmmmm.

You'd be suprised Tracy. There are a lot of very expensive barns in So. Cal, yes, but there are also a lot of very reasonable, nice barns as well. I pay far less board here than i did in Tucson and most definitely a lot less than TN. And...... its a nice full care facility with dressage court, arena, round pen, wash racks, tack rooms, trails, etc... Horses are fed 3 x's a day and stalls cleaned daily. And I have a superb dressage trainer, whose lessons fees are very reasonable.

I'm sure I could find something affordable if I were working. But on loans? I think I am unlikely to find $150 - $200/mo pasture board in So. Cal. [Frown]

Do you know of anything in the $300-$400 range in San Diego or central Orange County? Just for reference...

Tracy

Does it have to be pasture board? There is actual board in the $200 range, that includes a stall.

Check out these links.

http://www.polocenter.com/stable/stableusca.htm

http://www.socalequine.com/aboarding

There is a place in Poway, CA, which is in San Diego County, between San Diego and Orange County off of I-15, called Royal Ridge Eq. Center. Their board starts at $195 a month for full care.

Also check out www.california-dressage.org and click on chapters. Find the area chapters in the areas you want to be in, and contact their chapter chairs. They should have a lot of info. on boarding in the area.

[ 03-07-2006, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Tracy, I am from San Diego and could point you in the right directions maybe. Pasture board will be hard to find, but it is available in some places. I boarded my horse at a *very* nice barn in Fallbrook(although there was no pasture board, there was some limited turnout) in North San Diego County for $225. I then moved him to a private barn still in North County, but more coastal(again, no pasture but daily turnout, wonderful care and LOADS AND LOADS of trails, GORGEOUS trails) for $250. There are also some places out in East County that do have pasture board. PM me if you have any questions.

www.socalequine.com is an awesome resource.

quote:

quote:

You'd be suprised Tracy. There are a lot of very expensive barns in So. Cal, yes, but there are also a lot of very reasonable, nice barns as well. I pay far less board here than i did in Tucson and most definitely a lot less than TN. And...... its a nice full care facility with dressage court, arena, round pen, wash racks, tack rooms, trails, etc... Horses are fed 3 x's a day and stalls cleaned daily. And I have a superb dressage trainer, whose lessons fees are very reasonable.

[big Grin]

I don't know about the rest of the country but I do agree that there are lots of places where you can board a horse that won't put you in the car-living-room category.

And you can train with Hilda Gurney or Guenter or someone like that for $$$$$$ or with a trainer like mine who's awesome and not even a fraction of what it would cost me otherwise. I'm actually spending less now than I was when I was showing Pokey at AQHA shows... [Confused] then again, maybe that's not a surprise after all... [Wink]

Thanks so much, ladies. Fessor does not need pasture board. It is cheaper in the midwest than a stall. Less convenient for me, but Fess wouldn't mind.

I see I have some research to do. I was thinking that board would be as expensive as out here ($500 - $700 per month). Hmmmm. I would SO like to have the horse with me. I wonder if I could swing a part time job for the horsie expenses and still have time for class, studying, and riding. Even if I only rode a couple times during the week, then both days on the weekend it would help my sanity. If I could keep his bills down to ~500 per month I might be able to find a way to swing this. Maybe. Now if I could just stumble over a spare $20K... [big Grin]

I'll check out the links you all provided. Thanks again.

Tracy

Well Tracy, my husband's job has moved us quite a bit in the last couple of years and I have done a lot of research on boarding. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is very expensive, Tennessee is very expensive, North Carolina is very expensive and most places back east, which is ironic to me, because they have pasture. In Arizona board was reasonable and out here in Cal. I pay only $160.00 a month, and that is full care, fed 3x's a day and awesome facilities. There are 3 turn out pens and you can turn out yourself, or pay the barn owner to turn out for you. I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

However, if we stay here, we will buy a place and have horse property, so I will finally have my horses back home again. That is the ideal situation to me! [big Grin]