Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 6

Tracy - You make me laugh. You are so much like me. Stop over thinking and just ride!! Remember, forward, bend and "Let's go over here!!" It works. Trust me. Just throw away the words "half pass" for now so that you won't freak yourself out. As for the part time job - YES, you can handle it. It is definitely possible so long as you budget your time accordingly. The first year is a little tougher to swing the job because of the way they schedule your classes, but the second two years, much, much easier. I worked both my second and third year in law school. Many people work all three years.

Luvhorses - Sending POSITIVE HEALING thoughts Alibi's way!! I hope she is all better in time for your show. As for Gabrielle, yes, she has ridden Raz before. She is my regular second rider. She trains with Julie as well so her riding style is nearly identical to mine, just a little below me. She is more of a Training Level rider. She has been riding Raz 2-3 days a week since October. She does a great job with him, and he really likes her, so I don't understand why he was such a brat to her. Although he was a real brat to me too right before I left.

Boocoo - When you get a little deeper into First Level and start moving into Second Level work, that counter flexion is going to come back at you big time. By Second Level you have to have the horse really straight and through and soft in both reins. Counter flexion is a great test of whether or not the horse is really there or not. Also as you start asking for more and more collection and carrying power from the hind end, counter flexion is a great suppling tool to keep the horse from getting tight or tense in the neck, poll or jaw.

Inky - Inky is looking very nice!! It looks like the training is coming right along.

~Shelly~

I guess Raz just missed you a TON! [big Grin]

Alibi is still lame... [Frown] I am getting pretty worried she will not be sound in time for the show, but we'll see. Even if she IS sound, she will TONS of energy - and she is naturally hot/sensitive, and she is not a horse you can tire out (she's a purebred Arab!). Still, I have not given up hope!

Inky looks very nice, Inky!

Luvhorses, were you just riding Alibi, or were you riding other horses in the show?

Smithereens, that is very interesting about the counter flexion aiding in 2nd level work! Good to know, even if we are a ways away from that yet. I did have an awesome ride today, and practiced both tests for my show Sat. and got my ride times today! We are all going down Fri. and my trainer is going to give me a lesson down there on Fri. afternoon, then I show early Sat. a.m. I am getting so excited! I keep telling Beau how awesome he is and I have to tell you, flattery gets me everywhere with him! [Jump]

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

Thanks so much, ladies. Fessor does not need pasture board. It is cheaper in the midwest than a stall. Less convenient for me, but Fess wouldn't mind.

I see I have some research to do. I was thinking that board would be as expensive as out here ($500 - $700 per month). Hmmmm. I would SO like to have the horse with me. I wonder if I could swing a part time job for the horsie expenses and still have time for class, studying, and riding. Even if I only rode a couple times during the week, then both days on the weekend it would help my sanity. If I could keep his bills down to ~500 per month I might be able to find a way to swing this. Maybe. Now if I could just stumble over a spare $20K...
[big Grin]

I'll check out the links you all provided. Thanks again.

Tracy

Tracy, if you do end up at Chapman, there are several places that are within a reasonable driving distance to the campus that you can keep him at. Price ranges will go from around $300 up for a box stall with full care.

I don't know if that option is still a viable one at this point in your school choices, but I can definitely help you with that should your travels bring you out this way.

I live about a half-hour from the Chapman campus.

[big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

Thanks so much, ladies. Fessor does not need pasture board. It is cheaper in the midwest than a stall. Less convenient for me, but Fess wouldn't mind.

I see I have some research to do. I was thinking that board would be as expensive as out here ($500 - $700 per month). Hmmmm. I would SO like to have the horse with me. I wonder if I could swing a part time job for the horsie expenses and still have time for class, studying, and riding. Even if I only rode a couple times during the week, then both days on the weekend it would help my sanity. If I could keep his bills down to ~500 per month I might be able to find a way to swing this. Maybe. Now if I could just stumble over a spare $20K...
[big Grin]

I'll check out the links you all provided. Thanks again.

Tracy

Hey Tracy, (I don't know if this is a possible option or not with his vision) could you entertain the thought of half leasing him out a specific individual for lessons while you're in school? That way your bills are cut in half, you know that he's under the watchful eyes of a trainer, and he gets fulltime care. [Confused] If you stumble over a spare 20 k, let me know how you found it. I could sure use it as well. [Razz]

Thanks for the compliments on Inky, from what Sean is saying, Inky absolutely loves the Pessoa system. A shock to both of us! [Crazy] We were both expecting him to hate it lol

I'd be willing to half lease Fessor to a trainer to use in lessons or to one of their students. As long as they are reasonably careful with him. Fess still rides ok. I have to remind myself sometimes about his eyes. [smile] He's a good boy.

My parents live about half an hour from Chapman, on the coast. If I didn't have the dogs, I'd ask if I could live with them while I'm in school. But their new condo is so not set up for pets. [smile]

I will let everyone know as I hear more from the schools. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement.

Tracy

quote:

Luvhorses, were you just riding Alibi, or were you riding other horses in the show?

I am (or was, I don't know yet) taking Alibi and Teddy, the gelding I lease.

I am going riding tomorrow so hopefully she'll be a bit better then.

The show is in 8 days though, so...

Well luvhorses, you may have to scratch Alibi and just take Teddy. Get a Vet release for Alibi. Then give her time to heal to be ready for the next show. Dissapointing, I know, but at least you still have another horse to show. Hope it all works out.

Hey guys. I posted some riding pics on another post. Go check 'em out!

Had my 2 days off and now tomorrow starts my 3 days back... *sigh* Then only 1 day off and 4 days at work again. I know it doesnt sound like much, but I work 10 hr days, so they are very long to say the least.

Had a meeting with the contractor today. Getting everything finalized. They are going to start trimming tomorrow then paint, cabinets, flooring, and geez, Im not sure what else after that but its zipping by.

Just finished watching Horse Power on Animal Planet. It was nice to see that Brianne won all 4 championships. I love her horse.

About to head to bed. Hope everyone has a good week and weekend.. I wont be on much due to this being my work weekend.

A coworker saw a wonderful bumper sticker recently that has me laughing. [big Grin]

FRODO FAILED. BUSH HAS THE RING.

Tracy

If Alibi is lame today, we are scratching her. At least there will be other shows, though it is disappointing.

I will also call the vet and get a certificate that says Ali is lame...do they have to come see her or can they just mail/fax it? I think I might have them come out as I'd like to know what the issue is.

That's a good bumpersticker, Tracy! lol. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by luvhorses223:

I will also call the vet and get a certificate that says Ali is lame...do they have to come see her or can they just mail/fax it? I think I might have them come out as I'd like to know what the issue is.

They will probably have to come see her to give you the cert. Get that a.s.a.p. so you can fax it to the show office and get your money back from your entries, although they will keep an office fee.

Just found out my show this Saturday canceled due to the weather. We are under a severe winter storm warning with snow in the Mtns. and passes and Rain everywhere else. I would have to drive through the Mtns. and passes to get there and then only to be rained on all weekend. I am glad they canceled the show, but bummed out at the same time. We have been working so hard. Oh well, I am showing April 8th and will go back to this show again on April 22nd. That will give me all that much more practice, right?

[ 03-10-2006, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

quote:

Just found out my show this Saturday canceled due to the weather. We are under a severe winter storm warning with snow in the Mtns. and passes and Rain everywhere else. I would have to drive through the Mtns. and passes to get there and then only to be rained on all weekend. I am glad they canceled the show, but bummed out at the same time. We have been working so hard. Oh well, I am showing April 8th and will go back to this show again on April 22nd. That will give me all that much more practice, right?

Thats too bad... [Frown] . There will be other shows though, so don't get too bummed!

The vet came out to see Alibi today, and Ali has to stay in her stall for the next two weeks...no turnout at all, just daily walks. Just being in a stall at night was hard for her, so these next couple weeks will be rather tough. Ali has to get bute twice per day as well as muscle relaxants (sp?). She was not lame today, but her back is pretty sore. After the two weeks the vet will come out again and reasess things.

The vet all also looked at my trainer's Hungarian mare - she has cataracts in both eyes, is only 6 years old, and extremly talented (she will be shown at 3rd level this year), so it was a double whammy in terms of bad news!

I also was up ALL night (from 11 pm to 7am) with the flu...I was throwing up every 30-50 minutes. [Frown] . Very yucky! I am feeling better now but the only things I can really have today is chicken noodle soup and gingerale.

Hope everyone else's day went better than mine!

Luvhorses, sorry to hear about the two horses and your flu. I have been fighting a sinus infection myself, so was kind of glad my show canceled. The funny thing is, this is So. Cal, so this is very unusual weather for here.

But we must all look on the bright side and things will pick up for everyone soon!

Hey guys, I've FINALLY got pics loaded into my photobucket, but I can't for the life of me remember how to post them...HELP anyone????

It's been almost 3 weeks (!!!!) since I've ridden Jag, or anyone for that matter. The weather here's been off and on rain for about that long, and it's been tough finding reasonably workable footing to lunge him on. Plus I do have a full-time job, so that when it's been nice and dry, I haven't been able to get there.. [Mad][Mad]

Now it's still drippy rain with possible thunderstorms tonight, but hopefully it'll be dry enough on Weds or Thurs so I can flex my hours and go ride first thing in the a.m.

Very depressing.... [Me Cry]

Once you have them uploaded to photobucket, go to your album, and you should see 3 rows of "links" under each picture. If you click on the last one, its the one that says IMG next to it. It already has the UBB code next to it, so you just copy and paste it into your post.

So it should look like this, without the spaces:

Tada. Just remember, 8 pics per post!

Inky - One of the trainers in my barn has the Pessoa system and uses it on most of her horses. All the horses I have ever seen her put it on really love it. I have yet to see one dislike it. Some get a little weirded out the first time trying to figure out what on earth she expects them to do, but once they figure it out, they settle right in and LOVE it.

Tracy - I think the half lease would be great for Fessor. Find one person, maybe a kid or maybe even a Adult Amateur who you can trust to really care for Fess. Then you can concentrate on your studies, not worry about Fess, yet still have him there to decompress when you need it. I think this is totally doable. Don't give up hope yet. GREAT bumpersticker by the way!!!

Shantel - You watched Horse Power, too?!?! So did I. Loved it. Really well done. I think Brianne is going to be a name we are going to be hearing A LOT of down the road. She is really something. That girl is a born competitor. Talk about nerves of steel. And she is only going to get better as she gains more experience. I fully expect to be seeing her riding around the Olympic arena someday.

Boocoo - Sorry to hear about the show, but sounds like the trailering experience would have been NASTY. Better safe than sorry. There will be other shows.

Luvhorses - POOR ALIBI!! I am soooo sorry to hear how sore she is. Did the vet have any idea what is wrong with her??? She must be really ouch to be showing that much pain. Arabs tend to be really stoic. Give her a big hug. What a disappointment that you won't be able to bring her to the show this weekend. I hope she gets better real soon so that the rest of your season gets back on track. Sorry to hear about your trainer's mare as well. That sounds pretty bad. And the flu for you on top of it all?!?!? You poor thing!!! Rest and get better quick. You have a LONG weekend of showing in front of you, girly. You need to be healthy. Feel better!!!

DQ - Spring time does have its downfalls - RAIN!! Sorry to hear it has been so long since you have been in the saddle. Hopefully the weather will cooperate so that you can get back on Jag soon.

~Shelly~

I've been watching Horse Power to. Those young people are really something and what awesome horses. I watched the Animal Planted Horse Cup last night and the last jump was 6' 4". Nobody cleared it. I could not believe how high that jump was. They were clearing 5' 10' just fine though and that is high enough! [shocked]

Smithereens, you are right, there are other shows. Next one is April 8th. The weather here was atrocious last weekend, rain, snow, high winds, and verrrrry coooold. I had a sinus infection, so I am kind of glad it did cancel, cause I am starting to feel better now and had an awesome lesson yesterday.

I watched the Sporthorse Cup as well. That 6'4" jump was ridiculously high!!! And I think it was Lauren Hough who said she was scared to jump it. I would have been scared to jump the first line at 5'3"!! Honestly, I think it is a bad idea to attempt a line of jumps if you are frightened. I think that sets you up for a bad fall, and she did almost come off on that last fence. I was holding my breath for her.

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Boocoo!! Sinus infections are no joke. They can lead to much more serious illnesses. A good lesson is much more valuable than trucking out to a show in bad weather when you are sick. Not worth taking a chance in dangerous road conditions. Use the extra lessons to prep for the next show. Besides, I'll tell you right now that you probably would not have done as well if you were even just starting to get sick. I always think that it doesn't affect my riding, but Julie can tell me when I am ABOUT to get sick even before I know it!!! That is how much it affects my riding. It always amazes me that she can perceive that much about me from the way I am riding.

~Shelly~

Thanks Shelly [smile] . I am back to feeling 100%! The vet is not exactly sure WHY Ali is so ouchy, it may have been from the chiro adjustment, but she has never reacted this way before (and she's had 3-4 other adjustments, by the same chiro), and she wasn't really "jacked up" at her last appt. And you're right, Arabs are pretty stoic, so she's DEFINITELY uncomfortable. So we'll see, I am just hoping its nothing too serious. For now she's on Bute and Muscle relaxants twice per day as well as lots of walks and grooming sessions! She is pretty upset about being stuck in the stall though.

I am getting really, really nervous for the show this weekend, but I'm doing my best to stay occupied and stay positive, but my stomach is filled with butterflies, already, lol! I am going to this show for experience, to "get out there", to try my best and have fun. But earning a Regional Qualify Score wouldn't hurt either! [Wink][big Grin]

A woman who boards her daughter's pony where I do said instead of getting Wahl clippers (just an example) or something to do face/fetlock/face/etc. clipping, go to Rite Aid...they are having a 2-for-$10 deal on clippers (for people, lol) but they work just as well, and 2 for $10 is nothing!!! Just thought I'd let you all know.

[smiley Wavey]

[ 03-14-2006, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

quote:

Originally posted by luvhorses223:

I am getting really, really nervous for the show this weekend, but I'm doing my best to stay occupied and stay positive, but my stomach is filled with butterflies, already, lol!

Oooohhh, I hear you on the butterflies. I've got my fair share of them as well, and I still have two and a half weeks to go. I think I will settle somewhat once I have some of the details such as trailer, hotel, etc. nailed down. Then I will be able to chill out and focus on Raz and me.

You and Teddy are going to do great. Go and have fun. When you get back, hopefully Alibi will be all sorted out and ready to get back to work. GOOD LUCK!!!!

~Shelly~

Okay lets see if I can attempt to catch up [Crazy] I need to keep up with this more, so I don't have to go so far back to keep up!

Smithereens, I was always a little wary about the Pessoa System. Always wanted to try it out, but then there would always be people who would say it was a gadget and shouldn't be used at all. Sure glad he's using it. Inky looks wonderful just after two weeks!

Boocoo: Hope you feel better soon. Sinus infections are nasty! Luckily I didn't inherit my dad's nasal passages, he get's them ALL the time. [Eek!] Glad you had a great lesson [big Grin]

luv: I hope they get Alibi figured out soon and it's nothing major [Huggy] Good luck at your show! And don't forget pictures!

Well as for me, all I can say is that I'm flaming furious, but I can't really post about it here, I can PM it if you really want to know though. [Mad]

[ 03-14-2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

I thought that 6' 4"jump was waay to high myself. I would have been terrified!! Course this from someone who has never jumped higher than 3 ft. Beau has free jumped 5 ft. with lots of room to spare. It blew me away, but I knew jumping would be waaay to hard on him. He was getting stressed out about it to! Don't think he could have handled that for very long.

You know, I think our trainers are very astute. My trainer asked me yesterday about 5 min. into the lesson if I was feeling bad, cause I was just not riding up to par. I told her I was feeling better, but couldn't breathe and had not ridden since last Wed. due to bad weather. So I decided then I better get my act together and I did and what a difference after that. She said, now I can see you are back with your horse! [big Grin] I think you are right to, I would not have done as well, and is it really worth it after we all work so hard to go not feeling well and then blow it because we don't feel well? I tell you, I am really glad it canceled. The only thing is, I was doing Training # 1 & 2 and for my next two shows I sent in for # 2 & # 4. Now I have to jump right in there and do #2 & #4 at my first recognized show! [Eek!] But it's a CDS rated show, not USDF & USEF. But the next one is triple rated for everything!

Luvhorses, glad you are feeling better to. You will do fine this weekend. Just keep telling yourself that and it will come true. Have fun and get lots of pictures. I buy the $20 dog clippers from Walmart and use them for bridlepaths, whiskers, legs, etc... They work great and last forever.

Thanks Inky, I must feel better, I rode much better today! [big Grin] Hope Inky is doing well in his training also!

[ 03-14-2006, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Well, I received an email yesterday that was VERY nice for my ego. Not only am I invited to apply to Hofstra, they are indicating that I am a strong candidate for a merit scholarship. Nice, yes? [smile]

I spoke with Jeryl yesterday evening about going to a schooling dressage show or combined training show with Fessor. (If we go to a combined training show, we'll only compete in the dressage phase.) I'd love to take him training (or novice) level and see how we do. Jeryl was very encouraging. I am glad I worked up the nerve to ask. I wasn't sure if she would be ok with the idea of taking him to an unfamiliar environment. But she was fine. So apparently it is just the idea of jumping the makes her nervous. It helps that Fessor is being so level headed about everything. Even if he did spook at her red cooler masquerading as a horse eating blanket. [smile] It probably also helps that I asked after we had a GOOD lesson. [big Grin]

Tracy

Tracy, thats awesome. Both about the show and the school. WTG

Well guys, I have a 6 day weekend ahead of me. Three days off, then I took Monday off, and then Tues-Wed off. Mwhaha. Im leaving at 5:15pm and will get to Birmingham AL at 8pm CT. My SIL is ready to have the baby any day now. If she doesnt have it before Monday, they will induce then.

A lady Im working with online found a nice gelding about 20-30 mins from my SILs house so Im planning on checking him out while Im there. 14 y/o holsteiner solid 2nd working on 3rd and a beginner rides him right now. So we'll see.

Well, Im all loopy as I took a Loracet.. I just cant sleep lately. Too much on my mind. My best sleep starts around 6-7am and then I have to get up around 9-10, so yeh, to say the least Im exhausted in the mornings so Im resorting to narcotic drugs to sleep.. Wee.

Have a great weekend. I know my SIL has a computer but they ARE in the boonies and the connection is VERY VERY slow. So who knows if I can get on. But I arrive home at 2:15pm Tuesday, just in time to RIDE. YAY.

Have a GREAT weekend.

Well it's not a good day here guys [Frown] Our kitten, Patch, went missing last night. We think he might've run out the door when we let the dogs out and we didn't see him go out. We hunted till about midnight looking for him but couldn't find him. And it was a cold night too [Frown] Tadd looked this morning and I hunted for him when I got home from work, but he's still MIA. I'm about to go put up fliers. He's microchipped as well. I hope it pays off [Frown] Tadd's absolutely devasted.

-

Inky--I'm so sorry. I sure hope he comes home, or you find him. I was just reading something lately about cats in the cold, and that they can get hypothermia just like people do...sorry, I don't mean to add to your distress here. Just thinking good thoughts that he'll be found and home with you guys soon!

I'm still dealing with my kitty's health problems. Belle is allergic to just about everything, and the vet's tested her every which way but loose. He thinks she may have feline leukemia, and I'm finishing up another round of antibiotics so that he can test her again to see how her white count is.

My SU thinks I'm nuts, spending all this money and all, but I gently remind him that my kitties are my kids...and his too. And then I'll see him be such a mushball with them, it makes me want to slam him upside the head. [Confused]

Hope you find your kitty soon Inky. I know how you feel, as a fellow cat lover and owner. My cat is an indoor cat to and I have my hubby and son trained very well not to let her anywhere near the doors. Not that that's fool proof, she did get out once, but we were right behind her, so managed to catch her.