Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 6

Thanks everyone, nothing yet [Frown]

While I was driving home I saw a small catlike animal dart out in the street in front of me. It was about Patch's size, it ran into yard for an apartment complex, so I parked and searched, but couldn't find anything in the dark [Frown]

Any sign of the cat yet Inky?

Yesterday I was at the stables longing Beau in the round pen. I got a wild hair and jumped up on him bareback. Hadn't ridden bareback in over 20 years and he has never been ridden bareback. At first he was kind of like, "what are you doing up there?" Then he relaxed, came on the bit and walked very nicely, so i did some walk trot transitions both directions. It was very productive. He never popped his head up during the transitions, not once. He usually does for the first one or two, then doesn't do that anymore. Maybe I felt more balanced to him, since I was melted right into him. It was cool!! [Cool]

Then today, a friend of mine harnassed up her friesen and we drove him around the stables. That was to much fun! [Jump] She hasn't had him long and finally ordered her kart and harness. He has driven before, so didn't think to much of it.

[ 03-19-2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Hey guys. Im up in AL. Its cold as all get out and rainy today. I went and saw a 14 y/o HolsteinerX today. He was very cute. Not in consistant work but very quiet and easy going. The connection here is VERY slow so Ill upload video and pictures when I get back to Jacksonville on Tuesday evening. Still want to have a lesson on the Dutch in Jax too. So we'll see.

No baby yet.. so shes getting induced at 6:30am so tomorrow Ill be an aunt. Say a little somethin' for us and pray it all goes well.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Ill talk to you guys later!

Still up in AL, but the baby came on his own.

About 12:30am CT last night, my SIL started having back pains. We got to the hosptial around 1:50am. They checked her, she was 5 cm at 2am. At 2:25am she was 10 cm and at 2:40 we had a bouncing 8 lbs 13 oz 22 in baby boy! Talk about QUICK. I only hope I could go that fast if I ever have a kid!

But so far, so good. No complications. Hes a really beautiful baby. Not just b/c hes my nephew, but b/c he truly is. LOL

Heres a pic.. Ill post a few more when I get home as the connection here is REALLY slow.

Ethan Jeffery March 20, 2006

-

What a beautiful baby! Congrats to your sister and the family, Shantel. [smile]

I hope your kitty comes back safe and sound, Inky...any news?

[smiley Wavey]

Boocoo - Don't worry about not getting to do T1 and T2. You will be fine doing T2 and T4. Both of those tests ride really nicely. The tough one in that group is T3. That test is really tricky. You need to have a handle on it and be able to ride it well in a show before moving on to F1, but since you don't have that one coming up in your next show, I wouldn't worry about it. For some reason, the test writers like to make the third test in the series the nasty one. ???

Tracy - Great news about the school!! What a wonderful ego boost!! I definitely think you should get Fess out to some shows. It is good for him to be out and about. You have a wonderful bond with him so showing shouldn't be an issue even though his sight is less than 100%.

Inky - So sorry to hear about Patch!! I hope you find him. What a terrible thing to have happen.

DQ - Sorry to hear your kitty is sick!! I hope the antibiotics get your kitty sorted out.

Boocoo - I only get on Raz bareback once or twice a year. Usually when I am bringing him back from his hock injections, and he needs to be walked only. I'll just hop on bareback for that ride. It always freaks him out when I do that. It takes him a few minutes to settle down and relax, then he is fine. I really need to do that more often because like you, I do get some really nice response out of him when I ride without the saddle. Amazing how much more in tune with them you really are.

Shantel - Congrats on a healthy, beautiful nephew!!

~Shelly~

I am still getting things organized on my end for the upcoming clinic. I've started packing. The trailer goes in for repair on Thursday. The hotel reservations are made. I had an amazing lesson on Saturday. I need to fax the Health Certificate to the vet to fill out. My paperwork is all filled out with the exception of a GROOM!! Still haven't figured that one out. Julie has decided she definitely isn't going which is good - too close to her due date. Deb has too many lessons which she can't cancel. So right now I am waiting on an answer from Sarah. If I don't get an answer from her by tonight, I'm going to assume she is a no, and move on to the next name on my list. I have to get this paperwork in to NEDA. I have my outfits for the clinic selected as they do not want me wearing show clothes, but they do want Raz braided. All I have left to buy is a needle and thread. I don't usually sew in braids, but since I need them to stay in for four days this time, I am going to sew them in. So things are definitely coming together. I would just feel better if I had a groom nailed down.

On another note, one of the boarders at the barn came up to me Friday night and said, "Great picture of you and Julie in the NEDA publication." ??? At first I was thinking it had to do with the upcoming clinic, but I didn't give them a picture of Julie and me, and boy would that be fast publicity if it did. Nope, apparently it was something to do with the show I won last spring. ???? Okay, I know the picture she is referring to now as there is only one picture of Julie and me together, and it is one of my favorite pictures ever so I'm good with that, but this is killing me. She said it was one of the new NEDA mailings, and she got hers on Friday, so mine should come any day now. Of course, I STILL haven't gotten mine yet. Whatever it is, NEDA really seems to like little Razzie's face, that's for sure!! If mine doesn't come soon, I'm going to ask Michelle to bring her copy to the barn so that I can check it out. I just can't take this kind of suspense. We won one class that day. There were at least 50 classes if not more, and this is the SECOND time we have had our picture published for the win. ??? Someone REALLY likes Razzle.

~Shelly~

I think T3 definitely looks to be the hardest one. I am doing that one at a schooling show in May at my home barn. Hopefully Beau won't act like he did today. I hauled him over to my trainers for a lesson and he was just full of it. It was a cold, blustery day, but he usually doesn't act like that. I have had him on bermuda/blend pellets since Jan. and he has acted like that a couple of times since then. He never used to when he was on Strategy. I am going to switch him back to Strategy I think, and see if it makes a difference. But, because he was so energetic and forward today, we got some nice lengthenings across the diagnol. It was when I went to canter down the long side away from A, that he exploded, 3x's. I had to canter several circles to settle him back down. This is quite unusual for him, cold day or not!

Smithereens, I bet you are having fun getting ready for your clinic. You are going to do awesome.

T-3 takes lots of practice. That half circle with a down transition to a short diagonal is tricky the first few times you ride it - especially in a small arena. You have to plan for that circle and where you hit the rail again to make that turn from B-H ride well. If you practice that test enough times, it actually rides very nicely.

Sounds like Raz and Beau have been chatting. Raz was very full of himself in my lesson on Saturday. The ring was so dusty on Friday that after 10 minutes you couldn't see from one end to the other through all the dust, so when I got to the barn on Saturday to find that they had watered the ring, I was very happy - Raz not so much. They had watered halfway up the arena walls making them a darker color than normal because they were still wet. Raz decided the walls were going to EAT him. He spent the whole lesson trying to dart away from the arena walls. [Roll Eyes]

Good news, I have a groom - or actually two grooms. Magda will groom for me on Friday, and Sarah will groom for me on Saturday and Sunday. PHEW!! So that is taken care of. Now I can send in my forms and be done with that. The vet should be faxing me my Health Certificate and Proof of Vaccinations either today or tomorrow hopefully, then all I have to do is pack and go. Now that the big details are falling into place, I can relax and enjoy this. Riding wise, I am definitely having fun prepping for the clinic.

Oh, ride times and clinic topics were posted. I ride at 11am Friday, and 9:25am Saturday and Sunday, so I ride second as expected, but not too early which is great. The clinic topics were not quite as I expected. The first day is a standard clinic that focus on the horse and rider so that the clinician can get to know us (that I knew). The second day will focus on preparing for competition working on specific movements and exercises for each level. The third day will focus on practice riding complete tests. I thought we would be practice riding complete tests both the second and third day. I much prefer this format that they have outlined. This is going to be a GREAT clinic for me. I can't wait.

~Shelly~

Smithereens, we need to line Beau and Razz out!! [big Grin] My trainer is really awesome, she has me doing part of T 3 already and has me schooling that short diagnol oft the 20 M circle. It is tricky, but we will get it!

Glad you found your grooms and the clinic sounds awesome. Can't wait for a full report and pictures!! Will your SO go?

Once you have mastered those half circles with transitions at the centerline and the short diagonal off the circle, you have T-3 no problem. Sounds like you already have a great head start on it.

Yes, Jack has arranged to have the weekend off, so I believe he will be joining me at the clinic for at least one and maybe two days. I am trying to talk him down to just one day, but he wants to come for two days. I think he is going to be bored out of his mind for two days. He will enjoy watching me ride, but then the rest of the day will be very boring for him. I really don't think he will be able to stand two whole days of this.

~Shelly~

Hi guys. Well, I have some bad/good/bad news. I thought I lost my barn dog over the weekend (bad). Turns out she was locked in my tackroom all weekend so she was never really lost (good). She was perfectly fine, but chewed through my tall boots which are less than a year old and, even though they are just Devon-Airs, a very large investment for us (bad). Which means I will not be doing any rated shows this year as boots are hardly in the budget (very bad). But, the dog was found safe and sound (we had called everyone we knew locally, the police station, animal control, etc.) and that is the most important thing.

My mom's husband got a new horse (long story, but I'll tell it later since it's good [Wink] ) and he is currently living at my house. He's a 16.3 hh Trak/TB cross, 20ish, retired from eventing (went prelim) and SO SWEET. I just adore him. My mom's PMU mare is about ready to have her baby, so that will bring their horse count up to 5. [Eek!]

That's great you got the major details sorted out, Shelly - I know already the clinic will be great! [smile]

WOF - I'm glad your dog is safe and sound, but what shame that he (or she? I can't even remember, short term memory at an early age I guess, lol!) ruined your boots...that's no good. Your mom's hubby's new horse sounds pretty cool.

I need you all to send some healing thoughts to Austria...my sister lives there (as an exchange student, she's coming back this June, it's a 10-month long exchange) but is quite sick. She has an awful cold, lung infection and her asthma is kicking in because of the cold. She is on 9 medications and can't get out of bed, so she's not having the best time right now, but hopefully she'll be back to normal with some more rest.

[smiley Wavey]

Yes, those half circles and transitions are fun!! We have actually started schooling some 1st level stuff too. My trainer is so cool about just sliding something in there and then later tells me what I did! She is great!

I agree, Jack will be bored out of his mind for two days. i think he will find one day is plenty!

Wildoaks, I sent you a PM.

[big Grin][big Grin] Patch came home!!!! We were making dinner and listening to music, when we heard a rhythmic noise that we realized was a cat meowing, and guess who was at the door [big Grin] He was gone for 8 days, we have no idea where he's been [Crazy]

-

-

-

Awwww, that's wonderful news! Hopefully he'll be content to stay around home after his adventures.

Tracy

That's great news Inky. Cats are so smart and amazing. We watched a cat that they were trying to rescue, fall 80 feet out of a tree, on the news the other day and he didn't break a single bone, landing on his feet.

Thanks guys [big Grin] We're happy to have him back, he hasn't stopped purring since being home. On the plus side of his adventure...at least he knows how to go to the bathroom outside now...maybe from now on if he doesn't want to go in the litter box, he'll let us know, rather than going on our bed [Crazy]

Yay, that is great news! Glad he's home safe & sound. [big Grin]

My sister is doing much better, the lung infection is gone, which is obviously good news.

I am about to add photos to my post about the horse show, so check for that in a few minutes. [smile]

[smiley Wavey]

Thats great he came back. My kitty was let out by my oh-so-watchful step dad for lucky, this time, a few hours. Not to mind it was raining and cold. He finally came after me being out in the freezing rain. He didnt stop purring anything. When he came to the door, he was SCREAMING. And then hes been so lovey, more than usual, and very talkative and happy to be around us. LOL

[Jump][Yay] I just received my first law school acceptance via email. The official letter will arrive in 5-7 days. [big Grin] I already spoke with Dad about coming out to California to visit the schools if I get into both. For that matter, it might be worth coming out just to meet some people and look around at the one. Exciting times!

That email made my evening!

Tracy

Inky--So glad to hear Patch is back!!! And after 8 days, too...I'd bet if he could talk he'd have some stories to tell.. [Wink]

Out here, cats get locked up in garages and such...in fact, about a week ago I had our garage door open for some reason and one of our neighbor's cats came in and hid out for a while, unbeknownst to yours truly. It was only when I opened the door to go to work the next morning when I saw a grey flash go by me and out the door...poor thing was probably hungry & thirsty!

Tracy--Congrats!!! That's great news!!!!! [Jump]

Hey guys.

Well, I rode yesterday. Started out nice and then Miss Layla decided that doing everything she could except obey my leg was a good idea. Instead of bending around it, shed move away, counter bending. Locking her jaw, neck, wither. Ugh. It was a mess. Even when I put spurs on, she wouldnt move away from my leg. Drove me crazy. We finally ended up just working on her stretching and not being so bottled up, but it took forever. Who knows.

How long will you try to get even a millimeter of a response before you give up? Even just a 1/2 inch step away from my leg would have been SOMETHING.

Anyways... its such BEAUTIFUL weather outside and of course Im stuck at work. Go figure. It will probably be either WAY too hot or raining next week when Im off... [surrender] Plus its THAT time.. so Im not feeling the greatest.

Neighbor who bought the land next to Can Do was outside yesterday. I met her about 1 1/2 yrs ago when I was working at Mollys. She had a horse but he ended up colicing.. had surgery was doing fine. 72 days into recovery acted a little colicy again and they gave him a shot of banamine and he went down into a seizure (hit the artery) and smashed his skull on the ground. So shes now looking for a quiet safe horse.. Of course I told her about Layla and she sounds very interested. So we'll see!

WOF - Glad to hear you found your barn dog safe and sound. Sorry to hear about your boots though. Maybe you can get a pair of used boots from a tack shop cheaply just to get through show season this year???

Luvhorses - Glad to hear your sister is feeling better. How scary to be so sick so far away from home.

Boocoo - Well I told Jack that I thought he would be bored at the clinic and now he is mad at me, and thinks that I don't want him there. MEN!!! Arrrggghhhh!!! I just can't win no matter what I do. Next time I'll INSIST he comes and let him be bored out of his stupid mind. [Wink]

Inky - Wooo-hoooo!! [Yay] So glad to hear Patch made it home safe and sound. What a relief!! I can't believe he was gone for 8 whole days and still found his own way home. Little bugger.

Tracy - CONGRATULATIONS on the acceptance!! [Yay][Yay][Yay] That is fantastic!! I knew you would get in. Those letters will start rolling in now.

Shantel - Must have been in the air - Raz was blowing off my outside leg (only to the left) the other day as well. I finally lit into him big time. He didn't even see it coming when I finally had my melt down. I had asked more than enough times - and NOT in a subtle way either, so he should have known that eventually I would blow. And blow I did. Complete with yelling at him. That's the part that always freaks him out. Ears start swiveling in every direction. Tail starts swishing. Eyes get wide. I made my point, he listened, we moved on. Outside aids were functioning like a charm after that. It was quite a dramatic melt down though. I can get away with stuff like that on a horse like Razzle.

Two days and counting, and I can't get this stupid college to confirm that I have the correct health paperwork to ship Razzle in on Thursday. ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! They are giving me the biggest runaround ever. This is the most aggravating thing I have ever been through. I need a Coggins, their Health Certificate and Proof of Vaccinations. So they mailed me their Health Certificate form that they wanted filled out, but nothing else. What the heck is Proof of Vaccinations?? I called to ask. No answer. I left a voicemail and sent an e-mail. FIVE DAYS to get an answer. The answer I got . . . "It is a standard form that your vet will have." Fine. I called my vet and asked her. She has NO CLUE what it is. Never heard of it. Now the Health Certificate consists of listing the three vaccinations they are concerned with, the dates they were given, the date of the Coggins, and then certifying that the horse has not been treated for any infectious diseases in the past 14 days. So what other "proof of vaccinations" is there??? Video evidence of the vet actually administering the shot??? So my vet printed off my horse's medical history from the computer which lists all of his treatments including the dates of all of his vaccinations and sent that to me. I faxed it to the college and asked if that worked as "proof of vaccinations" That was on Sunday. Still no answer. We ship out on Thursday. Finally call the NEDA rep and beg her assistance. Tell her what I have for paperwork, and she tells me there is no such thing as a "proof of vaccinations". The Health Certificate is all I need. The NEDA rep will be the person checking me in to the barn on Thursday so I am all set. FINALLY!! PHEW!! STRESSSSSSSS!!! [surrender]

Edited to add - and NOW that I have finally spoken to the NEDA rep the College FINALLY e-mails me that the computer print off from my vet will suffice as "proof of vaccinations". *sigh*

~Shelly~

[ 03-28-2006, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

Luvhorses, hope your sister is doing better???

Tracy, Congratulations!!!! Which school did you get accepted to?

Smithereens, I agree, let Jack be bored out of his mind!! [ROTFL] Sounds like the college doesn't have anybody in the office full time, eh? Probably students, that come in part time. How frustrating. So you head out this Thursday? Can't wait to hear back.

I fly to Tucson Friday for my friends wedding that I am in. I am excited for her, it is hers and his first wedding and they are both 40 something!!!!!!!!

quote:

Shantel - Must have been in the air - Raz was blowing off my outside leg (only to the left) the other day as well. I finally lit into him big time. He didn't even see it coming when I finally had my melt down. I had asked more than enough times - and NOT in a subtle way either, so he should have known that eventually I would blow. And blow I did. Complete with yelling at him. That's the part that always freaks him out. Ears start swiveling in every direction. Tail starts swishing. Eyes get wide. I made my point, he listened, we moved on. Outside aids were functioning like a charm after that. It was quite a dramatic melt down though. I can get away with stuff like that on a horse like Razzle.

Two days and counting, and I can't get this stupid college to confirm that I have the correct health paperwork to ship Razzle in on Thursday. ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! They are giving me the biggest runaround ever. This is the most aggravating thing I have ever been through. I need a Coggins, their Health Certificate and Proof of Vaccinations. So they mailed me their Health Certificate form that they wanted filled out, but nothing else. What the heck is Proof of Vaccinations?? I called to ask. No answer. I left a voicemail and sent an e-mail. FIVE DAYS to get an answer. The answer I got . . . "It is a standard form that your vet will have." Fine. I called my vet and asked her. She has NO CLUE what it is. Never heard of it. Now the Health Certificate consists of listing the three vaccinations they are concerned with, the dates they were given, the date of the Coggins, and then certifying that the horse has not been treated for any infectious diseases in the past 14 days. So what other "proof of vaccinations" is there??? Video evidence of the vet actually administering the shot??? So my vet printed off my horse's medical history from the computer which lists all of his treatments including the dates of all of his vaccinations and sent that to me. I faxed it to the college and asked if that worked as "proof of vaccinations" That was on Sunday. Still no answer. We ship out on Thursday. Finally call the NEDA rep and beg her assistance. Tell her what I have for paperwork, and she tells me there is no such thing as a "proof of vaccinations". The Health Certificate is all I need. The NEDA rep will be the person checking me in to the barn on Thursday so I am all set. FINALLY!! PHEW!! STRESSSSSSSS!!!

Those melt downs sound famililar! There is a point where I'm just fed up and can't take more stupid cr@p, and then usually we get over it. (Key word = usually). Does make for some frustrating moments (I guess I should minutes, lol).

The vaccination thing sounds REALLY frustrating, and very stressful...I have never heard of such a thing either, sounds rather fishy to me. At least everything is sorted out now.

Yup, my sister (Abby) is feeling better now, thanks for asking. [smile]

I had the vet out for the second time to do a check on Ali. There is no lameness and she is just sore in her withers, most likely due to saddle fit issues so now I'm on the saddle hunt again...fun, huh? I am having the chiro out again this Friday and then my vet wants to come out one more time, and hopefully it's the last (not because of money but because hopefully this will resolve the problem). The annoying thing is is that I'm trying to sell this horse, not pour more money into her, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do (and I love her tons [Wink][big Grin] ). Anyone know of saddles that "generally" fit Arabs? Ali is Polish if it helps any.

[smiley Wavey]