Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 6

smith, Well, I DID melt down. Sarah brought me spurs and no matter WHAT I did, she did the opposite. Id ask for her to bend around my inside leg, shed say no, so Id ask with my spur, shed then bend opposite and swing her haunches. Even if my outside leg was back AND the spur was in her. NOTHING. It was ridiculous. Shes fine going around and "zoning" out, but if I ask for the straightness and proper bend, she gets all upset. And shes been working good as far as using her back and all... shes been a little sore on top of her hip, that muscle that runs along her hindquarter. We did do some walking up about a 30 degree incline thats about 30 ft if that long. I think Ill have the massage therapist come out anyways. And hey, thats great that you now have the ALL CLEAR to take him.

Well Im at work.. Ill update later when I get home with more... BYE

Boocoo, I got in at California Western in San Diego. I'd love to get back in the pacific time zone. The late sports nights are killing me! I mean really, scheduling east coast teams for 9:40 - 10:00 PM start times is a bit much... [smile]

I am considering a lightning fast trip early next week to visit Cal Western and Chapman. We'll see what I (and the parents) can arrange.

Tracy

quote:

Originally posted by KrazyTBMare:

no matter WHAT I did, she did the opposite.

Shantel, Raz and I had a day like that about a month ago. It left me pretty much in tears. And it was a LESSON. Julie was right there in the ring with us and couldn't sort us out. All we were trying for was to work on the second track in collected trot around the arena, and down the long side do two or three transitions to collected canter and back again. That's it. Well I couldn't get him to pick up the correct lead to save my life. FOR 40 MINUTES I TRIED. Julie tried to coach me through it, but we had had a melt down. There was nothing anyone could do at that point.

It happens to all of us from time to time. I hit a wall. We melted down. It was UGLY. I didn't even care about bend, straightness, relaxation, moving off the leg, NOTHING - just that STUPID LEAD on a straightaway!!! I did eventually get it and immediately ended the ride. And the next day when I got on and tried again everything was fine. It was just a melt down day. Plain and simple. It was outside emotional stress that caused my melt down that day.

So, for what it's worth, Shantel, I feel your pain. Raz and I have had days just as bad if not worse. [Huggy]

~Shelly~

Boocoo - Have fun at the wedding!! I love weddings.

Luvhorses - Glad to hear that Ali is feeling better. Good luck with the saddle fit.

Tracy - Hope you get to go look at law schools!! Sounds like a fun trip. Don't forget to check out some barns for Fess!!

~Shelly~

Tracy that is great news. I sure hope you get to bring your horse out here. There is tons of dressage in So. Cal. Last year we were still in TN. We spent 14 months north east of Nashville and while we really liked it there, the winter was very hard on me. I grew up in Tucson and I am used to HOT and very mild winters and riding and showing year round. I am really starting to like it here in So. Cal and we hope to be staying here. If so, then next spring we will buy a house on horse property again. Thank goodness. I really miss having my horses at home. There are a lot of really nice properties here in our price range, so shouldnt' be to hard to find something.

Thanks Smithereens for wishing me a fun time at the wedding. I just talked to my girlfriend and she is soooo excited. She swore she would be married before she hit 40. Well she will be 41 on April 12th and getting married on the 1st. Pretty good timing I told her! [big Grin]

Yeh, I hear ya Smith. I finally gave up (which I HATE to do) and worked on getting her to stretch down while still on the bit. So we ended on a good note.

Tracy, that's awesome! You're making me homesick...I'm from SD. And my best friend lives right down the road from Chapman, so I am really thinking about home reading this. I'm sure you would love either school (well, the locations at least!).

Good news here. I sold my pony (the POA). For much less than I had hoped, but to the *perfect* home. Pony has issues and is not child safe YET but certainly will be once he's finished. The family (who I loved) bought him for their nine year old, but they are sending him off to the dressage trainer first to be trained before they ever start riding him. They told me about the trainer and she sounds excellent. The kid is 9 and takes lessons from a dressage trainer and a H/J trainer. The pony was in love with this little girl. He was loving on her and she was brushing him and leading him all over the place. I turned him out so they could see him move and he ran right up to her and started nuzzling her. I swear, it was like a movie. And this little girl had the biggest smile you have ever seen in yor life from the second she saw him. I could not have handpicked a better family for him, and I know they will put the time and money into him that he needs before the kid starts riding him. This is a huge relief for me. I was worried about where I was going to get hay money from but not desperate enough to sell him to the less-than-perfect home, so it really worked out just perfect.

WOF - That is fantastic news. I'm so glad to hear that you found Jonny just the right home. I know you have been struggling with this for quite some time now. Sounds like this is going to be a match made in heaven once he comes back from the trainers. I'm really happy for you. Congrats!!

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

Boocoo, I got in at California Western in San Diego. I'd love to get back in the pacific time zone. The late sports nights are killing me! I mean really, scheduling east coast teams for 9:40 - 10:00 PM start times is a bit much...
[smile]

I am considering a lightning fast trip early next week to visit Cal Western and Chapman. We'll see what I (and the parents) can arrange.

Tracy

You'll be surrounded by some pretty nice horse country in either location. San Diego Co. is loaded with dressage types (think Guenter Siedel, a few others who's names escape me [Wink] . Chapman is just west of Orange Park Acres, a very horsey community that is just west of Santiago Canyon, where it's nothing but 2-lane roads and ranchettes.

Either location will work for boarding, if you're still going in that direction. Enjoy the visit, but look at a map or two while you're here. PM me if you want details. [Cool]

Congrats WOF, that's fabulous you found such a great home for you POA. [smile]

When I went to lunge Alibi yesterday (which went quite well, I was expecting physco-mare but she was calm as can be) I talked to my trainer and she said Teddy's hind leg (left I believe) was slightly swollen and had some heat in it...not a good sign obviously, so I couldn't ride, but I wasn't planning on it anyways. I am just hoping its something minor that a few days off can heal. Alibi gets adjusted this Friday by the chiro and I am hoping to be riding her again by Monday. So cross your fingers for both Teddy and Alibi...!

As I mentioned in a previous post on here, I am on the search for a new dressage saddle that fits Alibi...I have some people interested in my Theo Sommer thats for sale (I used it a whole five months [Roll Eyes] when I had my Dutch WB gelding) so I am hoping to get that sold and purchase a Niedersuss Sympony.

[smiley Wavey]

Seeing pics of Krazy's new house reminds me that we've got the 1st of 3 kitchen "guys" coming out to give us a bid tomorrow night. We're remodeling our kitchen/den, and my SU is already giving me big time hairy eyeballs about it.

Our house hasn't been touched since it was built in '75, and my kitchen needs some major work. It's big (30x16 roughly) and we're turning the den into a formal dining room with a built-in hutch, adding an island, and new everything--countertops, cabinets, floor, appliances, the whole enchilada.

SU wants to forego this, he keeps asking me "but where are we going to LIVE?" [bang Head] and I keep telling him we've got a whole bunch of other rooms to live in, not to worry [bang Head] . Shoot me now.... [surrender]

This is going to be a long, long, long project...he's driving me nuts and we haven't even gotten bids yet... [bang Head] I've been through the remodeling routine before and yes, it's headaches times 12 but it will be SO worth it when it's done.

Two of the bids are from people that were recommended to us, and the 3rd is Sears, on a more limited basis since they've already told me they don't "do floors." [Duh]

Anyway, I'm dreading it but I'm also very glad we're finally able to do it...just say a few prayers that there isn't "film at 11" of a tallish, cute-kinda-looks-like-Tommy-Lee-Jones but very dead longshoreman draped across my torn-up kitchen.... [Crazy]

Omg.. I couldnt imagine doing a remodel. alk about headache. Ive seen it on TV and DO NOT envy you. Hang in there and tough it out. It really is worth it.

Things are moving along. If you havent checked out my pics, PLEASE DO. Really updates whats going on and shows off the horses and the house.

Tomorrow we have a "Realtor Caravan" of people coming between 9-12 to show the house. So we'll see.

Went to the ortho Dr today b/c of my knee. He feels its b/c my hamstrings are too tight and my quads around the inside top part of my knee are weak and its really an issue with that. So I have to do leg lifts and hamstring stretches and go back in 2 months. Im not allowed to go up or down stairs, do lunges, squats, etc. Regardless, it still hurts! But at least riding is OK! [Wink]

A very slight cold front is moving in right now. Getting pretty windy but around 72.. its stunning outside if I do say so myself. Tomorrow mid 70s.. Ahhh a beautiful day and Ill be working on my barn and riding. And how about it was 8pm and still DUSK outside! Rock on. Im really stoaked about that and the fact that when its 6am its not full on sunshine anymore so I can sleep without 3450973 birds tweeting outside my window.

Luvhorses - How are Alibi and Teddy doing?? Hope both are feeling much better by now.

DQ - Good luck with your kitchen remodeling. I say a prayer for your tallish, cute-kinda-looks-like-Tommy-Lee-Jones longshoreman because Jag is really going to suffer if you end up in jail!! [big Grin]

Shantel - I will definitely go check out your pics and updates. Can't wait to see how Layla is doing and the house is coming along. I bet you are DYING to move in.

As for me . . . The clinic was AMAZING!! Razzie was a superstar. I am working on a full detailed write up. Hopefully I'll have it done today.

On a down note (which is why I wasn't able to get the write up done yesterday), my cousin, whom I was very, very close to, was killed in combat in Afghanistan on Wednesday. Jack and my family kept the news from me until late Sunday night, which I guess wasn't easy as it was huge news all over the TV and papers - even made national news so they had to keep me away from all papers and TV all weekend for fear that I would see the news and have my weekend disrupted which my cousin would not have wanted. I'm a complete disaster, as are Jack and the boys as they knew him quite well too. I knew in my heart when he left for Afghanistan that I would never see him again. I had just hoped that I was wrong. He was just that kind of person. He volunteered for duty and was on his third tour of duty. He would have stayed until he was killed or until the war was over. I just can't believe he is really gone.

This is turning out to be a tough year for me, isn't it? Kind of an emotional rollercoaster. Thank god for Raz. At least I have some highs mixed in with all these super lows that I keep getting smacked with because otherwise I'm not sure how I would be coping with all of this.

All right. I have to stop thinking about this for a little bit or else I'm going to be sitting here at my desk in tears again. Off to write my clinic report.

~Shelly~

Shelly, I am so, so, sorry to hear your sad news about the loss of your cousin. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family! [Huggy][Angel]

I am glad to hear you did so well at the clinic and can't wait to read the write up.

I flew out to Tucson on Friday for my friends wedding that I was in. The rehearsal and dinner was fun and the wedding was an absolute blast. Her dress was stunning. Flew home on Sunday a.m. Always good to get home to hubby and my son.

I was able to ride yesterday. Probably not today, the weather is nasty. Hopefully I can ride the rest of the week as my show is Saturday.

Shelly, I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. I know we are all grateful that he risked his life for us. My prayers are with you and your family. Hang in there. Im glad to hear the clinic was good.

Went to the property today and took down the saddle and bridle racks in the tack room. Measured the walls and took down some major cob webs. I think Im just going to buy like pesticide or something to kill the 8 legged beast that feel my tack room is their kingdom. We are going to be enclosing it with insulation and making it a REAL room with A/C and all, and I dont want any survivors between the walls!

Shelly, I am so incredibly sorry. That is terrible. I have cousins that were in Iraq and possibly going again, it's very scary. [Huggy] I responded to your Clinic post, it sounded AMAZING!

Teddy is fine, thank God. If that horse had a serious injury, I don't know what I would do. He is just so talented, he is six years old (recently turned six) and solid second level and doing most of third (he was started Western), and he takes it all in stride. My trainer is basically certain he will go to FEI, though because of his gaits he will not be competitive at that level. I am hoping to show him through third.

Alibi is also doing well, though I haven't ridden her yet, I have to get the vet out to the barn one more time to get the OK. I have been doing lunging in the mean time. When there were no other horses in the arena (the indoor enclosed one) I took off her lead rope and she followed me like a puppy. It was so cute. She is such a smart girl too, she is so smart and a definite over-acheiver. I am sure I will be on her this week. I am on the saddle search for one that fits both her and Teddy.

Boocoo, glad the wedding was fun! I have been to some cousins weddings and they were both a blast.

Shantel, I am sure you are anxious to move on in! How exciting.

[smiley Wavey]

FINALLY! Good news about the wedding.

I have been on the hunt for one specific invitation for the last 2 weeks. The 3 companies that carry the brand were of NO help here in Jax. They told me they didnt have the books, they didnt have the newest one, etc.

I called the company yesterday b/c I was getting very frusterated that the dealers and the companies were not on the same page and I was stuck in the middle. Well this VERY nice lady looked up and noticed that one of the stores I called that said they didnt have the book DID have the book b/c they just placed an order out of it last week. Boy was I ticked.

So I stopped by there today and bam, lying on the counter, is the book. I easily find my invitation, much to my surprise. LOL The manager is who told me that they didnt have the book. Go figure.

Well the more and more I thought about this invite, the more I was not sure. My colors are black, white and silver for the base, and then the flowers will be in reds, oranges, yellows - fall colors. This invite is black white and GOLD. I think it would clash. So now Im upset b/c I really love this invite.

So I called the company and in their new book, they have it with silver! YAY. But the store Im at doesnt have the new book. [Frown] But she said they could call and order it. So I get off the phone and then notice a sign that says "DISCOUNTS". All invites are 30% off and everything else from the books are 20% off. Woo hoo right? Wrong. Only if the book is in stock.

So I spend like 10 mins with the manager (the one who couldnt find the book yesterday) and hes trying and trying to find the new book. And Im like can you just call and order it? And he said they never call its just sent. So I call the company b/c I want this freaking invite!!! And the lady on the phone said the store was supposed to call. So of course I repeated this back so the manager could hear me. He kept saying they never do that and I was like "Look. Im trying to buy some invites for my wedding. Im going to be spending a lot of money. All Im looking for is for someone to take the time to help me out just a little bit, please." So he called. And they are sending the book. So I get the invites I want WITH the discount.

Go me.

Oh yeh. Here it is:

http://www.simplebutelegant.com/invitation...ry=36&SR=1&CR=4

[ 04-04-2006, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: KrazyTBMare ]

Shelly--I'm so sorry about your cousin. What a tragedy for you and your family. I hope that you can all take heart in the fact that he died in a very noble, honorable way...what a special person he must have been. Prayers for you and the rest of your family. [Angel]

Welcome back, Boo...although as I sit here, approximately 15 miles from our show on Saturday, watching the rain come down in sheets, I'm just wondering what kind of weekend we're ACTUALLY going to have.... [surrender] Noted your ride times...I should be there early since Jag's first one is at 8:42.

Don't think I shared this with you all, but on the 15th I'm playing at a political fundraiser for approximately 500 people. I play piano, doing dinner music/accompaniment, mostly for charity. I'm kinda nervous about it, there are going to be some very well-known people there and I sure as heck don't want to embarrass myself. Bought a new dress as it's black-tie, actually found one at David's Bridal that doesn't look bridesmaidy or brides-motherish. It's black taffeta, slim-fitting, showing a fair amount of cleavage... [bat Eyelashes] thank goodness my SU will be there for moral support.

I'll just sit here and keep thinking dry thoughts for Saturday.... [Wink]

Lovely way to start out the day. I started feeling sick on Monday so I took yesterday off hoping the rest would make it better...no such luck I woke up praying to the porcelin goddess [Roll Eyes] So needless to say as a food handler I'm at home again.

Update on the horse situation: A woman did the 5 hour drive down from Seattle to check out Inky. She likes him, and wants to talk to her trainer about him. However she wants to lower his price. Which I said no to, it's 3000 firm. So we'll she if she'll stick by that. She'd been emailing and calling Sean quite a bit before hand and was actually going to fly down to check him out, so I wouldn't be surprised if she went for the price. We told her before she came down that it was 3000 firm. If not, his price is going up anyway in two more weeks as he's beginning his training over fences.

Update on me: Other than being sick, we had my 21st birthday party on Saturday, that proved interesting! Tadd's mother and sister were here, and his sister is still here for the week (it's her spring break) hence why I'm not online too much. And the BIG BIG news....Tadd has pre officially officially popped the question [big Grin] If we go to NJ we're planning on being married in 3 years, if we stay in WA we're planning on it in 2 years! I couldn't stop grinning when he asked, and he couldn't stop turning as red as a tomato! So some exciting news on my part.

There's SOOOOO much stuff on here that I have to catch up on, so give me a bit of time to get reread on the goings on of everyone's life!

Deequeue, I saw your trainers ride times for Sat. also. It is pouring up here this a.m. and I was supposed to have a lesson this afternoon. The arena will be waay to wet. It is supposed to clear up and be sunny tomorrow, Fri. & Sat. but I am beginning to wonder. If the show is a go, I should be able to see Jags first test. Then I will have to mount up and get Beau warmed up for my first one. We can only hope.

Congrats. on the piano playing engagement. That sounds like a blast and the dress is perfect. You will be fine. I was supposed to bring back my sisters piano from Tucson this past weekend, but since I opted to fly out there instead of drive, it will be summer before I can go get it. I need it, as I sing in our church praise choir and like to learn my parts that way. I'm not near the player you are, I can assure you, but I can play enough to pick out my alto parts in the songs!! [big Grin]

Inky, stick to your guns, 3k is a very reasonable price for a nice horse like Inky. And........congrats on your engagement. That is very exciting!!!!

Boocoo - So glad to hear that your friend's wedding was so much fun. Hope you get some decent weather this week so you can prep for your show!!

Shantel - On a mission to kill to the little beasties in the tackroom - good luck with that. Those little buggers are usually pretty determined to stick around once they have set up home. A/C in the tackroom, how luxurious!! LOVE the invites. Very pretty, but I can't believe the run around the store manager gave you. You are trying to spend money, and he isn't being helpful. Give me a break. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Luvhorses - Glad to hear that Teddy and Alibi are feeling better. What a relief.

DQ - Very impressive that you play piano as well!! I've always wanted to have a skill like that, but I'm so non-musical. I have zero creative talent. Good luck at the dinner. I'm sure you will do great.

Inky - Sounds like you have the flu. Feel better. Definitely stick firm on your price. $3k is a fair price for a nice horse like Inky. HAPPY BIRTHDAY and cONGRATULATIONS!!!! What exciting news!! I'm very happy for you, Inky.

~Shelly~

Thanks guys [big Grin] As far as Inky goes the lady wants to look at some more horses before she makes a final decision, but she says so far Encore is the best horse she's looked at. Furthermore she added "I hate to say this, but with another 60-90 days of training under his belt, you could make a TON of money off of him" [big Grin] That made me feel rather proud of my little pony and the training Sean's done on him!

WOF; Congrats on finding him a great home [big Grin] I'm in the midst of all the craziness myself so hopefully mine will go just as well!

DQ: Good luck with the kitchen! All I can say is that I can't wait to actually live in a HOUSE where that might be an option [Razz] And another good luck on the performance, I'm sure it'll go well [big Grin]

Shelley: [Huggy][Angel] I'm so sorry, many well wishes and prayers going out to your family from WA

Luv: Glad to hear Teddy's fine, I hope Alibi's lameness clears up soon! What kind of tree are you looking for for them? I've been up to my ears in saddle and horse ads lately, I might be able to do some hunting while I'm sick at home in boredom lol.

Thanks Shelly, it definitely is a relief!

quote:

Luv: Glad to hear Teddy's fine, I hope Alibi's lameness clears up soon! What kind of tree are you looking for for them? I've been up to my ears in saddle and horse ads lately, I might be able to do some hunting while I'm sick at home in boredom lol.

I am looking for a Medium tree - my trainer rides both Teddy and Alibi in her Niedersuss Symphony that has a Medium tree (though when I cleaned her saddles it said "MW" on it which stands for Medium-Wide...). I am going to do a trade with someone that has a Medium-Wide Niedersuss Olympik, though neither of us are sure if either saddle (I am trading my Theo Sommer Egon von Neindorff) will fit our horses, though we are keeping our fingers crossed. I would definitely appreciate the searching help when you have the time...I am specifically looking for a Niedersuss Symphony or Niedersuss Olympik with a 16.75" seat. [big Grin]

Does anyone have any suggestions for medium to thick dressage pads, stirrup leathers, or dressage girths? Any help would be fabulous. I am currently looking at the "Fancy Diamond Dressage Pad" thats for sale at Dressage Extensions...its $30 (on sale). Here's the link if anyone wants to see it: Fancy Diamond Dressage Pad.

[smiley Wavey]

Well guys (big sigh of I don't know what here) Tadd's just been accepted to the school in New Jersey. So it looks like we'll be moving. Now I have to find out if I can be accepted into the school I'm looking at, which terrifies me! [Razz] I had a medical withdrawal for the last semester, but the previous one I didn't know I could take a med withdrawal, and as a result have one D and one F. My cummulative GPA is still 2.97 though and my high school transcript is excellent as I graduated summa *** laude, 5th in my class, and had several academic and atheletic extracurricular activities that I lettered in. So my fingers are TIGHTLY crossed.

Well looks like Inky was sold today. All he needs done is to get his teeth floated, and they're going to come down next weekend to pick him up and do a vet check in Spokane. If all goes well, Inky will have a new home. The girl who's potentially purchasing him has another 3rd level dressage horse that she trained herself and is in training will a very well known dressage trainer in WA so he'll be in good hands [big Grin] (I'm going to go knock on wood now!)

Ok ladies, I am sitting here wiping away tears right now. I have finally got word back that several of my friends and one of my pre-school students, his sister was in my sons' class, lost their homes in the recent tornados in TN. It sure knocks you for a loop, especially when it's people that are close to your heart. I so wish I could be there to help with clean up and stuff. One of my friends told me she chain sawed trees for 12 hours on Sat. and you know she is not used to that kind of physical labor. Anyway, remember to keep all the folks who lost loved ones, homes and businesses in the tornados, in your thoughts and prayers.