Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 6

Deequeue, the show is at Rancho Mirage.

Smithereens is going to her cousins funeral.

A lot of your ISP's offer a web page option. I know I do our dressage chapter's through mine.

quote:

Going to the tasting at the River City tomorrow morning to taste everything and decide on a menu for the wedding. Hey whats better than a free lunch at a 5 star resturant??
[Wink]

Sounds good to me!! [big Grin]

quote:

Smithereens, we will be thinking about you this weekend. The dress and shoes sound just fine. Walk carefully and stay away from annoying family members!
[big Grin]

Ditto! I am sure the show will go good, Boocoo. Sounds like the barn move is definitely a good choice.

Inky - hay buildup? Wow!! I sure haven't heard of THAT before...I am glad to hear its nothing serious though. A PM would be great, I'm curious. [smile]

[smiley Wavey]

No kidding, impacted hay was the last thing I was expecting. Glad it was short and sweet though [Razz] Vet bills are rarely like that!

Boocoo, we estimate that we'll be moving probably the last week in July/first week of August. We *might* have found a place to live, however it's 22 miles away from Tadd's school and a 40 miles to mine [Crazy] However it's 900.00 a month, basements, yard, two story, all the typical kitchen gadgets, in a good neighborhood, AND the guy goes "Eh I don't really care about pets too much, $100.00 pet deposit for the three of them would be fine and I don't care how many you have." My jaw absolutley dropped when Tadd told me he said that!!!! 800-900 is what we were expecting to pay for a STUDIO and a 40 minute drive away from where I will attend, so so far it sounds like a promising place!

I'll send ya a PM in a second luv [big Grin]

Wow Inky, that place sounds great! That sounds like an awesome price for N.J. and especially that he doesn't care about the animals.

Well I decided not to show this weekend after all. My trainer rode Beau today and he was very resistant and very sore in his neck still. He set back again the other day. He has been acting really weird at this place for the last month or so. Can't wait to move him this weekend. I have the Vet. coming out in the morning to check him over and give me a release and then the chiro again next week at the new place. Then he is going to have time to heal, settle in new place and get back into a consistent routine. Hoping to show him June 17th, just a schooling show to get back into it!

[ 04-19-2006, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Had the Vet. out Thursday. He is as I suspected, very sore in the neck muscles, mostly on the left side. He told me not to ride him for a week, just turn out, and bute daily. So I got a release from the show of course and won't show in May either. I will wait till June now.

Moved him yesterday to his new home. What an awesome place. Everybody at the old place wants to go there now, but there aren't any more stalls open right now. She had 3 stalls and myself, my friend and another lady snagged them. He was calmer there in a just a few hours, than he had been at the old place in the last couple months and that is even having the neighbors goats coming up to the fence to visit him. He thought the goats were very scary at first, but soon settled down and didn't mind them anymore. I am so relieved not to have to worry anymore.

Off I go to see him now and maybe turn him out a bit.

Glad to hear the move went well. What is he doing? Pulling back while tied? Is that what you mean when you say he sits back? Layla used to do that (still will if the ties are too low). I had to do SO much ground work with getting her to lower her head to pressure, got a Be Nice halter for that, and also moving her to ties that are WELL above her head. Once she did it and couldnt break the ties or the halter, she stopped. Hasnt happened in like 3 yrs?

Well, Friday my friends dentist came over to do Ben and Layla. I was so happy to find a DENTIST not a vet doing teeth. He was fantastic. No drugs, the horses just stood there (Layla wiggled a little due to the fact that the last "dentist" told me her teeth were great after he worked on them and get them done a yr later.. well thats great except he left hooks and she has scar tissue and some sores in her mouth from it!!!) This guy is just a good guy and hes really good with the horses. Layla was much quietier with her mouth today and didnt fuss when I put the cavason on. However, trying out the bean bit with a D ring proved disasterous. She was hanging, and wiggling, and bracing on it. Then, while ignoring my leg to move over AWAY from the fence, and trying to go SIDEWAYS instead of forward, she slammed my right knee into the fence, on the post. Theres a GIANT bruise and its all swollen. I didnt like it, but I had to spank her for that. Totally ignored my aids and was doing everything she could to evade and my knee got the crappy end of the stick. Looks like we'll stick to the O ring so she cant brace.

After the dentist came, we (Sarah and I) decided to trek down to Hastings (about 25 mins south) to Mollys (my trainers) new place. We stopped by my new house to gag at the paint in the kitchen, inspect the barn and con up ideas for it, and then made the trip down. Its such a nice drive down SR13. It follows the St Johns River. I mean, like 20 ft to the right, and theres the river. Outstanding homes all around and just a nice drive.

Of course, since we've never been that way, we got a little off course. Couldnt seem to locate Mollys barn. We thought it was a small town and the farm was right on the main street. Luckily Molly picked up the cell phone and we got directions.

Let me tell you, her barn is nicer than my new house!!! Red Maple everything, the stalls are so freaking nice, 2 dressage arenas (one with the all weather rubber footing, thats going to be covered) and her house. To die for. I personally like mine more just b/c its a little bigger and 2 stories, but hers will be great. I love the elevation. Its on cinder blocks and about 3-4' off the ground. 23 acres, great paddocks and turn outs, and shes building a 2nd barn as well.

We spoke about lessons and trailers and the show next month. I think shes going. YAY. I need a lesson like WHOA.

Worked Saturday.. eww.. and today we went to church then drove around as they held an Open House here. Went to lunch with The Moms and Randy then to the craft store and got some stuff to make Save The Date cards. Also got 2 3 1/2' long natural wood shelves with 3 pegs on them each for $15! Together! We got some stain and Ill put them in the tack room. Cant beat that deal.

Dustin, Sarahs husband, also got on Ben for the first time today. Too cute. Def need to get him a western saddle! LOL

Thats my update.

BTW, Inky, sounds like a great deal on the place. Let us know what happens!

Yes, Krazy, he was pulling back at the hitching rail. There are a lot of crazy weird things going on at that place and they made him very nervous. I had him tied with a bungee lead rope, or he would have killed him self by now!!! It got so bad that I just decided to up and move him to the new barn where crazy weird things are not happening. I have owned him for 4.5 years now and he has set back in the last two months more than in all the time I have owned him. I like him in cross ties the best, but they aren't always available, so I went with the bungee lead rope, which probably saved this horse's life! I find that interesting that Layla did this if the ties were to low. That's the only time Beau does it too, probably why he does better in cross ties. Did she run on the track?

Your place sounds lovely. When will you get to move in, do you know? Molly's sounds nice too, but your house is to die for!! [big Grin]

[ 04-24-2006, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

quote:

Originally posted by luvhorses223:

Boocoo, glad to hear the barn move went well. Hopefully you'll be riding again next week!

Thank you. I am pretty sure I will be riding by Friday.

My trainer earned her USDF Silver medal this weekend. She was showing Prix St. George and just needed one more score and got two great scores!! She is so awesome. I'll post pics soon.

Boo - Glad to hear the move went well. Hopefully now you and Beau can get back on track. My OTTB used to pull back every so often, so I used those bungie leads to tie as well. Fabulous invention!! Saved my horse's neck many a times. Sorry to hear you had to scratch from the show, but it wouldn't have been a good one if Beau was hurting. Congrats to your trainer on earning her USDF Silver Medal!! That is fabulous. Hope you are ready for your lesson prices to start skyrocketing!! HA!!

Inky - Impacted HAY??? You sure do get the interesting ones!! What a great deal on the apartment!! Hope everything works out. That sounds great.

Shantel - OUCH!! Sorry to hear about your knee!! That sounds very painful. Bad Layla!! Glad to hear you got her teeth sorted out though. That should improve things overall. Molly's place sounds very nice, but there is no way her house could ever top yours!!

~Shelly~

My funeral update - short and simple. It was huge and nightmarish. There were at least 500 people at the funeral. The press was totally obnoxious - actually coming INTO the church to take pictures during the service. The picketers didn't show, THANKFULLY!! The military was unbelieable. There were so many of them bringing support and mementos and framed photos. Friends of my cousin from far and wide came to pay their respects. It would just floor me to have someone come up to me and say, "I met Tom in Cambodia when he was walking around the world, and he stayed at my house for a week." These people came all the way from Cambodia for the funeral. And there were others from even further away. My heart aches today as the reality has begun to set in. My family helped us find Natalie a deluxe Dartmouth bus that took her to her plane on Saturday morning so that Jack could stay with me at the funeral, and good thing, because I really needed him.

The funny moment for the weekend - at the reception, George walked up to the Governor of Vermont, not knowing who he was, and totally innocently, asked, "Do I know you?" OH WOW, was that ever amusing!!! My aunt Julie is one of the higher up's in the Environmental Protection Agency of Vermont, so she works closely with the Governor, and she was standing talking to him at the time, which is probably what prompted George to go ask him that question. My aunt about died of laughter. She told George that he had made her year!! Only George.

On the Razzle front - Maria cancelled my lesson Wednesday using a "sick grandmother" excuse. [Mad] This makes 3 lessons scheduled and 2 cancelled. Mad doesn't begin to cover it. We have rescheduled for tomorrow night. I am waiting for a call back from Julie to let her know I am going to start setting up lessons with Fe instead to try to get "regular" lessons. I just don't need this kind of stress on top of everything else.

The rated show I had planned for May 13th filled on opening day, so I have withdrawn my application and opted for a schooling show on May 6th instead. YIKES!! Only two weeks to prep. Gotta get my butt in gear ASAP. I've been practicing my 2nd Level stuff for the June 4th show, but not the First Level stuff. I have the Ann Guptill clinic this weekend. Ann is a USDF Gold Medalist. She represented the USA in the 1987 Pan Am Games where she placed 5th individually as well as team Silver Medal. So this should be a very good clinic. They are making a big deal of it, asking me for a biography of Raz and me for their clinic brochure. *sigh* Guess I am going to have to braid for this one, too.

Julie had her baby on April 20th. She had put on a few pounds, and the doctor was worried that the baby was getting too big, so they decided to try to induce her. They tried several different methods over two and a half days - all were unsuccessful, so they finally did a c-section. Annabel Jean was 7lbs, 7ozs. Julie and Anna are both doing well. YEAH!!!! Now get your butt back to work, Julie!!! [big Grin]

~Shelly~

That's great news about your trainer, Boo, I remember when my trainer got her USDF Gold Medal, definitely a big acheivement, thats for sure!

quote:

The press was totally obnoxious - actually coming INTO the church to take pictures during the service.

[Mad] Thats awful...jeez.

Sorry to hear about your cancelled lessons - thats a bummer, especially when you have a show coming up. I am sure the clinic will go great, Raz being the star that he is (and of course your riding skills! [big Grin] ). Glad to hear Julie and the baby are doing well. Hope things continue that way.

I am preparing for the next two recognized shows I have coming up...June 16-18th and June 25th. I am returning from a vacation in Oregon (I am going to a *Dude* Ranch, lol) on the 24th, so I will have the trailer packed and ready to go before I leave as there will be lots to do. I think I'm going to have to pay someone to braid for me, espeically since I am taking both Alibi and Teddy, and I am riding two tests on each of them AND its a one day show, no stabling (well its actually two days, but I don't think stabling is provided and I'm only riding one day, so...). It'll be one hectic week! Hopefully I'll be able to settle down and relax while I'm in OR and then shift gears into fast forward for the show. Teddy and I are attempting Second Level test 4, but Ali and I are doing Second 1 & 2.

[smiley Wavey]

Boocoo, the reason they pull back when the ties are at their withers or below is b/c they can actually get leverage and pull on them. If they are tied above their heads, they can pull, but they cant get any where. Layla knows and if put on the ties in the back of the barn that are below her withers, she will simply back up, lower her head, pull, and off she goes. The only time I saw her do this in the ties that are above her head was when she was mad and Barbara went to worm her. She backed up, hit the end of the ties, but didnt fight, b/c she cant. Theres NO way she has the ability to pull when theres nothing for her to brace with. I would suggest always tying him above his head, straight or crossed. Its what saved my nerves and many a halter with Layla. Also, standing and doing lots of ground work with me pulling down on the lead rope, and getting her to release and lower her head. Also, putting your hand on the poll and pushing down. They should immediately lower the head. She did race as well, and I dont know if that has anything to do with it. If it does, I would assume that they just dont work on stuff like that, esp b/c I dont believe they are tied often on the track?

smith, wow. Thats crazy about the funeral. Im so sorry to hear about the press but thats really nice that your cousin made such an impact in so many lives. And I cant believe she canceled AGAIN. I dont think I would reschedule if she cancels one more time.

We attempted TL1 last night but the horse was intent on moving sideways, and swinging her hips and shoulders and doing everything but trotting forward and straight. We shall try again or this show will be very interesting....

Hi everybody. I've been AWOL the past few days just getting caught up on some things here at work.

Smith--the funeral sounds, well, like a funeral for someone who deserved the respect and honor. The media is what it is--obnoxious. As for cancelled lessons, that would be the last drop in the bucket for me, but I'd probably have a conversation first before I completely bailed.

Boo--Glad to hear that the move went well and he's finally outta there. Poor guy, he needs some stress relief, sounds like. Maybe now he can relax and settle in peacefully.

Inky--sounds like everything's coming together for you and Tadd.

For everyone I may have overlooked, remember I'm old and forgetful... [Question]

As for me, I'm just trying to squeeze in a ride on Jag here and there, when it's dry and the arena's rideable. Since it's going to rain AGAIN this week [Mad][Mad] who knows when I'll be able to ride... [Confused]

On Saturday we worked on keeping him on the bit and s-l-o-w...since he's so big-strided and forward and so tired to boot, he tends to get fast and sloppy when he's pooped. My trainer's riding the socks off him, which he needs. And, he did a huge spook on Saturday, which if I wasn't in my western saddle I would've been in the dirt for sure.

Someday I might get to actually show the beast. When that will be, is anyone's guess. We're getting better acquainted though--he actually nickers at me occasionally now.

Krazy, that makes sense on the tying thing. Beau will move down from the pressure when you push on his poll, he is great to bridle and clip his bridle path. I think he is claustrophobic! LOL! He feels pressure on the lead rope, panics and sets back. That's why I always tied with the bungee lead. He used to set back maybe once or twice a year, but at the old stables he was getting very stressed out by the goings on there, which is why I moved him. Hopefully now that he is in a peaceful place he will quit that, but they do have cross ties in the barn.

I turned him out in the arena this a.m. Interesting arena. She has flags, table umbrellas, barrels, blocks and all kinds of toys everywhere. He cruised around and inspected everything and had a great time. Hope to ride by Friday, but as Deequeue said, it is supposed to rain again!

Deequeue, how about showing July 1 & 2? Think you will be ready by then? I think you can do it!!!!!

Smithereens, sorry to hear the press was so obnoxious at the funeral. Sounds typical for the press. But your cousin would have truly been honored by the turn out. I think I would be looking for someone else to take lessons with if it were me. I can not stand someone who is not dependable and to cancel two out of three times is just obnoxious!! Hope you get someone soon and congrats to Julie on her baby!

Yes, we are very proud of my trainer. She is awesome and works hard and her horse can be quite a pistol sometimes. Funny Smithereens, on the rate hike. But you know, she is not like that. She doesn't even charge us to coach us at shows and polish our boots and help us braid manes. She trained with Hilda Guirney for 10 years and said Hilda never charged her at shows and she knows how nice it is to have your trainer there, so she doesn't charge us either. She is to awesome.

[ 04-24-2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Luvhorses - Sounds like you are going to be one busy girl at the June show - two horses and two tests each. Second 4 is a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG test. Good luck!! Keep us posted.

Shantel - The sideways BS must be in the air - Raz was doing that to me the other night in the canter walk canter simple changes when I was practicing 2-1. Everytime I brought him down to walk, I got one step of walk then he started sidestepping. Ticked me off. Spent half an hour getting him straightened out and forward again.

DQ - Rhythm is a hard one to establish on a young greenie. You feel like you are constantly speeding up and slowing down. Just keep working on it and pretty soon you will be chugging along at a steady rate. Raz likes to rush as an evasion when he can't find any other way to escape my aids. You and Jag will find a happy balance soon enough. Glad to hear that you two are finally bonding. Hopefully that rain will let up soon.

Boo - Sounds like Beau is settling right into his new home. That's great. I like the sounds of your trainer. She sounds fantastic. I do pay Julie to come to shows, but I only pay her the cost of a regular lesson. She comes for the whole day, and I generally get way more than a lesson out of her, so I figure I get way more than my money's worth!!

As for the Maria deal - I never intended to reschedule. I have been waiting for Fe to return to town from an extended training trip to Georgia. She just got back right before I left for Vermont for the funeral. There wasn't time for me to contact her for a lesson before I left. Also, I need to talk to Julie first as well just to keep her in the loop and let her know I am switching trainers. Maria is the best trainer in the barn. Fe is good, but Maria is better. I figure I can set up REGULAR lessons with Fe on Saturday. She is reliable and will keep the lessons faithfully. I can count on her. Then as for Maria - IF she calls, I schedule lessons on my regular riding weeknights with her. If she shows, GREAT!! If not, whatever!! Maria happened to call me this weekend while I was awaiting a call from Julie to let her know of my plan, so I went ahead and told Maria she could come out on Tuesday (a regular riding night for me). If she shows up, GREAT!! If not, whatever!! I'm not actually counting on her being there tonight. I am counting on Fe being there teaching her students, so I will grab Fe and talk to her about some regular lessons on the weekend. If Maria shows up, I'll hold off talking to Fe a couple more days until I have had a chance to talk to Julie. So that's the plan. I'm not sitting around giving Maria a whole bunch of chances here, but I have been a little stuck with Fe out of town recently. Now that Fe is back . . .

My primary aggravation is that I am USED to regular weekly lessons without exception. Tomorrow will make 4 weeks to the day since my last lesson with Julie, and I have had ONE LESSON so far with Maria. ONE LESSON IN FOUR WEEKS is totally unacceptable, especially at the beginning of a show season when I am being bumped up a level. At least I know I have the clinic coming up this weekend, and maybe even a lesson tonight though I'm not counting on that. I would totally just tell Maria where to go, except that she is soooo good. When I can get her there, we accomplish so much in a lesson. She is Julie's trainer. The problem is getting her to SHOW UP for the stupid lesson. [Mad]

~Shelly~

Shelly, I think your plan for lessons sounds great. That way you have someone dependable at all times and if Maria shows, great, if not, like you said, oh well.

I have not had a lesson in forever either. It's been 5 weeks for me, except for the disaster show on the 8th. But mine has been because of the weather, Beau getting hurt and now moving him. My next lesson is going to be May 9th. I will have been riding him again for about a week and a half by then, so he should be ready to get back to work!

So you are probably feeling as "lesson frustrated" as I am right now - only for different reasons. And I know DQ is in the same boat as well. Weather hampers you gals, but with the indoor, I don't have that problem, so I am not used to having to miss lessons. It is so unprofessional to cancel lessons, and she is doing it at the last minute. Calling at 7:29 to cancel a 7:30 lesson - and using a TOTALLY fake excuse to boot. I really, really, really look forward to my lessons, so there is nothing more disappointing than literally being mounted and all warmed up ready to go and getting the call that the lesson is cancelled. Makes me want to scream. Then of course it is REALLY HARD to have a nice RELAXED ride because I am tense and angry at the cancelled lesson. *sigh* I need to talk to Fe. Then the whole Maria thing won't get to me so much.

~Shelly~

In So. Cal, we are not supposed to need an indoor arena! Makes me miss TN, cause I did have an indoor there.

Canceling one min. before my lesson would send me over the edge. I agree, totally unprofessional and I have no patience for that kind of thing. Especially when you know it's a fake excuse. And us girls need our lessons!!!!!

4 weeks? 5 weeks? How about going on ONE YEAR in June. ONE YEAR. I am in desperate need of a lesson and a butt whooping. Once Randy gives up my computer, Ill upload the pics of my leg. Its so many lovely shades of blue and purple. Layla is a great artist.

I went out tonight to supplement her. I got a Tuff Riders fly sheet. Its REALLY soft and light, but shes standing in the stall, DRENCHED. How can Barbara just put her in the stall like that and leave the sheet on? I asked her to take it on and off when going in and out, which is once a day, just like if it were cold during the winter.

I grabbed her and rinsed her off. Her usual wiggley self didnt MOVE as I bet the cold water felt good. She barely had touched her hay, but did eat her dinner and drank water. Her poo was in a different area of the stall too. Probably just so hot, she didnt feel like her normal routine. She was garbling down hay when I left. I think shes trying to come into heat as shes SO relaxed and "la la la" ears pricked right now. SWEET. I love the mare while in heat.

We are going through paint **** right now. We thought a nice cheery yellow in the kitchen and breakfest room would be nice.. how about its the color of a SCHOOL BUS. I about puked. The nice soft buttercup-like yellow on the outside needs sunglasses to be looked at. I think we found a really nice shade of green (well its not GREEN like you would think). We are going to get a quart and slap it up on the siding and see what we think. I hate paint. There are TOO many colors. And colors dont look the same next to other colors.... [surrender]

And I got whiff that the new move in date is JUNE 1ST!?! omg.. Im going to implode.. I just want this to be over and done with and moved in.

smith, good luck. Hope she shows for the lesson.

That sounds super frustrating Shelly...did she end up showing? Hopefully she did!

quote:

She doesn't even charge us to coach us at shows and polish our boots and help us braid manes

[shocked] My trainer charged me $150.00 (no, not a typo, unfortunately!) for coaching...I rode twice per day for two days (so four rides) and then schooled lightly, 15 minutes maybe, on Friday...so $50/day.

Alibi threw her front shoe today. [Roll Eyes] The farrier is coming on Thursday so hopefully everything will be a-okay then...Alibi does not have good front feet, and can easily get stone bruises without shoes, so she's going to have to be in the stall for 48 hours, which for her is no fun whatsoever. Man, it's just one thing after another...

I guess a good thing is that we've been having wonderful weather, been in the early 70's. [big Grin]

[smiley Wavey]

quote:

4 weeks? 5 weeks? How about going on ONE YEAR in June. ONE YEAR. I am in desperate need of a lesson and a butt whooping.

[Eek!] A year? Yikes! Good luck with the house, paint can be tricky! I love green BTW. [big Grin]

Krazy, hope Layla is ok. Was she turned out or riding her or what? One year is a long time not to have a lesson. School bus yellow? Definitely enough to make you puke. I can't believe your moving in June 1st. I started looking at places to buy and found a nice house with a 4 stall barn, tack room, bath rack and arena and my hubby says we might move again. So I am holding off again.

Luvhorses, it sure gets expensive on top of entry fees, stall fees, hotels, etc... doesn't it?

[ 04-26-2006, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

I was riding her. Working on T1, haha. Out of the corner she was still evading to bend and bam. Heres the results.

-

-

And side to show the swelling.

-

This is right below the knee cap on top of my shin. Hurts like a mofo.

She was just ticked b/c the last few rides, Ive been doing some nice hacking. Getting her to stretch and work long and slow. When I picked her back up and asked her to actually work, she said NO. If Barbara would actually set up the dressage arena, I could work more consistantly but until then.. Oy vey.

Heres a pic of the beast.. Looks so innocent, eh? LOL Fat and slick and "I didnt do ittttt" looking..

-

Dont know why Photobucket insists on making EVERY picture I take blurry when they are crystal clear prior to upload.. Grr.

Anyways, the outside green is called Colonial Revival Green Stone. Its a more natural soft green with a little more richness. Very nice looking.. I hope. HAHA. I think we are just going to paint the inside of the kitchen and breakfest room the same as the rest of the house and then add color accented walls in the dining, living, and bed rooms, with maybe the back splash with a hint of color...?

LESSON UPDATE:

Well on the way home, my co-worker and I took bets. I said despite confirming already, Maria would call and cancel saying she had "car trouble". My co-worker opted for "stuck in traffic". I won the bet. She called 2 minutes before the lesson claiming to be "stuck on the side of the road waiting for AAA". SURE!!! I let it go to voicemail and didn't actually talk to her. I was sooo upset. I really didn't expect to be THAT upset, but I was. Probably because she had called to confirm, and I had mistakenly gotten my hopes up. Fe was in the ring teaching. She was written in the lesson book for having a 7:30 lesson with Michelle, but Michelle was no where to be found and her horse was still in his stall, so I figured she had cancelled. As Fe finished up her lesson, she announced that she had to go ride Hitech (Michelle's horse), so Michelle must have cancelled and asked Fe to ride her horse instead of a lesson.

I approached Fe (Razzle in tow), but before I could open my mouth, I had a total meltdown. I was shaking all over from anger/disappointment/emotional overload and on the verge of tears. I told her what had happened and that it was the third time out of four that Maria had cancelled, and I had a clinic this weekend, a show in 2 weeks, and another show in a month. That Jules had bumped me up a level which I wasn't ready for, and I was freaked out in a major fashion (in case she hadn't already figured that out). Fe said she would call Michelle and let her know she would ride Hitech tomorrow, and she would give me a lesson right now. So that's what we did. I managed to get a grip on myself while Fe made her phone calls, and then we had a lesson.

It was actually a great lesson, and Fe was a lot better than I expected. She totally kicked my butt, and sorted out a lot of the 2nd level issues I have been having. Raz and I were both tense and tight last night, so it was hard for us to chill and work, but we got it done. Fe just kept pushing us harder and harder. She was on me every step of the way about my position and not letting Raz slip through any of my aids. It was just what I needed. She really adjusted her style to me very nicely. She would start to back off to give me a break, then ramp it back up saying that I'm a "high-energy rider", and I don't need "breaks" in my rides. Which is true. I don't need, nor do I like, breaks during my rides. I'm there to work, and work me she did. We have regular scheduled lessons now until Julie gets back. So that's taken care of.

I have decided not to even try to schedule lessons with Maria because it so upsets me when she cancels that it ruins my rides, and I don't need that right now. It isn't worth the aggravation. I'm undecided whether to just not answer any more of her calls when she tries to reach me (not like I owe her an explanation or anything), or whether to answer and tell her I won't be scheduling any more lessons with her because I don't need her BS any more. Guess it depends on my mood when the call comes in. I certainly won't be initiating the call. I WILL be calling Julie today, and I WILL be trying to get out to see Julie and the baby this weekend.

~Shelly~

Shantel - Ewwww, that is definitely paint ****!!! School bus yellow - OUCH!! Not a good kitchen color. That is sure going to WAKE you up in the morning - in not a good way. I found that you have to start with very pale pastels and bump the color up SLOWLY darker and darker until you have a color you are satisfied with. Very hard to finesse the color you have in your mind onto your walls!! That move in date sure is getting bumped around alot. Makes planning very difficult for you I'm sure. Bet you can't wait to move in and bring Layla home with you so that YOU can control that blanket situation yourself. Darn man, it really ISN'T that hard!!!! There is no excuse for a horse standing in its stall sweating/shivering. LOVELY bruise!!! Layla really did a number on you!! Hope you got her back for that one.

Luvhorses - OUCH - $150?? That seems a little steep. She had more than just you there at the show right?? Showing gets to be VERY pricey when you start to add in trailering, stabling, entry fees, hotel costs, and then trainer fees. Glad to hear it is just a lost shoe and nothing more serious with Alibi. She'll be back up and working in 48 hours!!

Boo - ANOTHER move??? OMG!!! [Eek!] You poor thing!! And here I am whining about consistency. I don't know how you do it.

~Shelly~

Shantel, your leg looks like a barrel racers!! OUCH!!! I know how painful that is. Running 30 miles an hour on a horse and smacking your leg into a 55 gallon metal drum will give you the same results!!!

Shelly, definitely no more lessons with Maria. Very disgusting that is!!! I would have done the same thing you did. Glad you had a great lesson after all. Sometimes things work out the way they are supposed to.

If we move again, it will be the last time. We want to buy horse property again and real estate is through the roof here. We could have a mansion on lots of land in Texas, Ok, or TN for what we would pay for an average home on an acre here, if we are lucky. So that is the main reason we want to move just one more time. Other than that we like it out here.

That makes sense, Boo. You have to find a place where you can afford to live the way you want to live. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it. Some areas are just way to over priced. The area we live in right now is that way. We would move to a more reasonable area, but we are staying put just for the kids' school. The boys have never been uprooted from school, so we don't want to do it now when they are in high school. We can hang on until they finish. Then we can relocate. My parents moved a LOT when I was a kid, and I adjusted just fine, but it is much harder for a kid who has NEVER moved to suddenly have to try to adjust to a move in high school - especially George who will be a senior next year.

~Shelly~