Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 7

Here's a brand new one for everyone [smiley Wavey]

Anything non dressage related can go here, as I'm trying to keep the rest of the dressage board, dressage related.

This means if you are talking about a great dressage ride, different dressage techniques, equitation, dressage saddles, etc. please post a new thread on the dressage forum itself to keep it lively [Wink] This thread will be specifically for other disciplines of horseback riding, perhaps throw in some h/j, wp, trail riding etc. stories, horse health if need be, personal account, and whatever else you feel like posting. Please keep some common sense about when posting comments as to not blatantly offend another, and please keep the HC Golden Rules in mind.

That being said if you have a thread deleted, and it wasn't because it was getting out of hand, check here first or check to see if it was moved to a more appropriate forum, I'll always PM to let you know what happened to the thread unless it got lost beyond my knowledge or the Admin deleted it. [Wink] HTTY and enjoy!

[ 05-16-2006, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Women talk to much? No way!!!!!!!! [Crazy] Ok, so maybe it's just a little bit true, but we can't admit it to our men folk!!!! [Wink]

Thanks for starting a new volume, Inky. We sure can talk [Wink] !

Boo: [ROTFL] ...yeah, I am pretty bad about tack, I can't resist a good sale! [big Grin] . There was an annual sale at a local tack shop, I planned on getting just wormer and possibly fly spray, and I came home with a new Kerrits show shirt, Ariat breeches and showsheen! [ROTFL] I got the wormer and flysrapy elsewhere, lmao. I need to simmer down on the spending though, but again, a good sale is a good sale! [big Grin] . Someone needs to keep me away from the horse show vendors! I don't really NEED anything, but of course there are those things that catch our eye - a new show browband, those nice leather gloves, the cute saddle pad, etc. etc.

The weather here in NW WA has been beautiful...it was in the high 70's and low 80's. The upstairs is 78 degrees right now, but I swear, downstairs (where the computer is located) is about 10 degrees cooler. Nice in the summer, not so great in the winter.

[smiley Wavey]

[ 05-16-2006, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Hey everyone. I haven't been around very much lately. Things have just been too busy here with preparing for the baby and whatnot. I haven't even kept up with the general chit chat thread on this board, so I don't know what is going on with everyone. But I wanted to say hi and hope that everyone is well!

Looooonnnnggg day at the barn yesterday. I was there from 8:30AM until 5PM, and Raz was seen by his regular vet Suzanne and his chiro vet Liz. Both of whom concur with their diagnosis. It is NOT Lyme, and it is NOT my saddle. To make a long story very short, we originally had Raz in eggbar shoes in the front because his feet were really run down when I got him. A few months back, all vets, farrier and Julie concurred that he was FINALLY ready to come out of the eggbars and return to normal shoes. Well not so. The back pain is secondary to foot pain in the front - not bad enough to cause him to be lame, but bad enough to cause his back to hurt. Basically he just isn't getting enough support from the regular shoes to deal with the increased work load that we have been heaping on him. So he needs his eggbars back.

Also he is indeed a little underweight and could use a bump up in grain, which I did a week and a half ago already. Suzanne said he isn't thin like he has been starved, but rather he is thin like he is toned like a racehorse right now. He just doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, and he could use a little fat. Suzanne also gave Raz 2 weeks worth of muscle relaxants to help his muscles just because he has been so tight recently, and she wants one more week of easy, long and low work which is what we have been doing this past week already. My saddle could also use a re-flocking, and with that, will fit just fine. Until then, Liz (chiro vet) said to ride with my fleeceworks half pad as that gave the saddle the best fit. Liz also did a chiro adjustment, and Sal will do a massage later this week.

As for that "tick bite", Suzanne said that she never pulled a tick out of it, and neither did I, so there is no way to know whether or not it was even a "tick bite". All we will ever know for sure is that it was some sort of insect bite.

So, 3 and 1/2 weeks into a 7 week shoeing cycle, I need to call the farrier and have him come out and redo the shoes. I need to re-flock my saddle. I need to take it easy on him for another week. And he gets good drugs for a couple of weeks. Good news all around I would say.

~Shelly~

Inky - OMG!! Inky, I can not believe that woman barged through Tadd like that for a scoop of ice cream!! Someone needs to call the funny farm and have her committed. That Fhoenix saddle is the most bizarre saddle I have ever seen. Fingers crossed on the sale of Buster because that DOES sound like an IDEAL home for him!!! He looks fantastic. You sure have brought about a phenomenal change in him. Great job!!

Boocoo - Hope the new saddle fits!! Glad to hear you are trucking out to your trainer's for lessons. It is really great to get the horses away from home and try them in new situations. It helps so much when it comes to showing.

Boo & Luvhorses - I think we are going to have to separate you too before the both of you are BROKE!!! HA!!!

Luvhorses - I hear you on the cost of rated shows!! They are OUTRAGEOUS!!

SG - Hey there!! How's it going?? How are you feeling?? When are you due?? How are the preparations coming along??

~Shelly~

Boocoo: Whoohoo new saddle! I missed like 3 pages from the last thread so I'm going to have to ask what saddle did you end up with?

Smithereens: Awh poor Raz. So sorry to hear that he's hurting... [Frown] Hopefully he will start feeling better in the very near future.

Inky: Some people just can't contain themselves over a mere thing as ice cream. haha....!

Alright question for ya'll

I desperatly need a dressage saddle. Actually I should really really have one for this weekend. I'm riding the full outting at 2nd level. 2-1 and 2-2.

Anyways...seemingly how I will not have one I'll continue riding in my jump sadddle haha.

But I cannot afford to buy anything over 1500 actually I hate to spend over 1k since I don't have my "own" horse. And am not planning on getting one for at least another 2 yrs.

My question is I am a petite rider. I hate having bulk underneath my thighs. So I probably will want to lean towards the narrow twist. Does anyone know of any decently priced dressage saddles for petite riders? Preferably with a deep seat? I've been looking around...but just haven't really found anything. Though I found one saddle with shorter flaps but the seat looked a bit shallow....

Any ideas?

Hi all, [smiley Wavey]

Just finished getting all caught up on everyone's doings. We've had some technical problems here at work lately so I haven't been able to do much online, but as long as we're up & running, I thought I'd check in on all the haps over here!

Boo--Saddle sounds dreamy. We're not showing at the July show, Tiff's got Appy Worlds and will be gone for 2 weeks around the dates. But I'll pop up there and either be volunteering or visiting cuz I want to see you guys show!

Smith--poor Raz. I know he's getting the best care any horse could get, so he'll be on the mend here pretty quick.

SG--Hey!! So when's the blessed event anyways?? You must be close to due by now!

Inky--All that fuss over ice cream... [Crazy] I can relate, actually. [shocked] But I don't think I would've run Tadd through to get it, no not me. Just another day at the asylum, eh??

If I've forgotten anyone, sorry!! It's hard to keep up with all of you anymore!

Well, Jag's got his 2nd show this Saturday. I bought a camera (disposable Fuji) just so I can take some new pics. He looks nothing like the pitiful little creature that came off the trailer back in December...other than the markings, you'd hardly recognize him. [big Grin]

His personality is in full flower now. We've discovered that he loves to beat up on every horse that's stalled next to him. And, in exchange for the abuse he lets them eat his tail. With the tail bag on. Right now the one he's wearing looks like something a Roaring 20s flapper would fling aroung her neck...

[Confused] Oh, he's still Mr Alpha around me and his food, but we had an AWESOME ride this morning, so I think we're finally starting to click, and I'm just thrilled!! [Jump]

SG - good to hear from you [smile] .

Shelly - Sorry to hear about Raz, I can relate. Alibi has had 5 chiro appointments in the last 11 months, as well as three vet check ups for her back pain. She too was given two weeks of muscle relaxants and it really did help. I ALSO have saddle fit issues, as she is hard to fit. She is my first Arab, but my trainer said in general Arabs are harder to fit. Anyways, I am wishing Raz a speedy and full recovery!

3DayEventer: I highly reccomend the Niedersuss saddles. They have several models, and my trainer owns the Symphony, the original Niedersuss. She is a petite lady, and she rides in a 16.75" with I *think* normal flaps, and it fits her really well. She LOVES the saddle, as do I. I can ask her about the flap length if you are interested. Unfortunately the Niedersuss Symphony is $1675 from www.greystokefarm.com. They are $1800 in Dover Saddlery. BUT, there are lots of used ones on the web that are still in excellent condition.

deequeue - Good luck at the show! Can't wait for the pics [big Grin] . That is wonderful you two are clicking.

quote:

Originally posted by luvhorses223:

deequeue - Good luck at the show! Can't wait for the pics
[big Grin]
. That is wonderful you two are clicking.[/QB]

Thanks, luv. I'm beyond thrilled today...you can't see my feet, I'm so far off the ground!

[Wink]

Luvhorses, I went to Petsmart today and didn't buy a thing. But I did go to Bath & Body Works and get some lotion and shower gel! [big Grin] And we did buy hubby a brand new truck last night! [Eek!] Now I am going to have to do something obnoxious like get a job! [shocked]

Smithereens, I hope you get Razz all comfy and working well again soon. Glad you were able to figure it out. Yep, hauling Beau has been a good thing. I took him again yesterday and he was awesome. My trainer was in her house watching from the window, unbeknowest to me! She came out later and said "wow, you guys looked so good. I am so proud. I said to myself, those are my students." So that made me feel really good and Beau was awesome. Check out my "Pictures From Today" thread. There are some pics of us from this past Sunday.

3Dayeventer, I bought a saddle called the Exselle. It is made by Walsall saddle company of England. They used to make the Crosby's. It will arrive on Friday!!

Deequeue, sorry to hear Jag won't be showing in July. Get lots of pics this weekend then! And I plan on showing in July, so I will see you there. Glad to hear you had such an awesome ride as well! That is great news!

Santa, when is your baby due? Hope you are doing well. Do you know if it's a girl or boy, or is it a secret?

Think I got everyone!! [big Grin]

[ 05-17-2006, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

3Day, you have a PM!

luv, I envy you!!! In Eastern WA it jumped from the 60's-70s over the weekend to the mid nineties! [Eek!] I am SO not built for this weather. I miss my Alaskan summers [Crazy]

Hope everything is going well SG, we've missed you around here! When's your baby due? Do you know if it's a boy/girl or are you making it a surprise? [big Grin]

Good luck with that Shelley, I can sympathize on the feet. Inky had three vertebra thrown out, was cowhocked, had crooked growth lines on his hooves, and his coronets were compressed to the inside when I first got him due to improper angles.

Sorry DQ but I had to giggle at the trade off [Razz] Glad to hear you guys are starting to click though! And I definately can't wait for pics!

Did I miss anyone??

Hey everyone,

I hope you don't mind having one more person on your chat thread. I am familiar with all of you from reading past threads, and figured I may as well start posting since I'm going to be starting Dressage with my new horse (but I've been in the sport a bit longer than he has [Wink] )

I bought my new horse about a month ago, he is a 12 year old ApHC gelding named Image of Illusion. From the first time I saw him, I knew he had potential for dressage, but was discouraged from starting him in it, thinking he was too short, old, and colorful. I've since changed my mind, casting off my worries as non-issues (for the time being, anyway). I also saw Lisa Wilcox give a critique to a girl in Dressage Today who had a 17 year old recently started (in Dressage) appaloosa. That gave me much hope.

I just purchased a dressage saddle that I know will fit him well, and once I pick up some other various tack for him, we'll let the fun begin. I've already had time to get used to him on the ground and under saddle, and I think we can start to get serious now.

Anyway, I guess I'll leave it there for now! Thanks! [big Grin]

Welcome Dreamin. Sounds like you have a nice horse and you are on your way!!!!!!

I have some GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!! My trainer called me today and has an opening in her barn for me. I am sooooo excited. I have wanted to board there for months. So, yep, I am moving my horse again. The place I have him now is great and the owners are super nice people and also very understanding of my need to move my horse to my trainer's barn. I can't wait. June 3rd I am moving him.

OMG.. Sorry to totally like not address everyone but I have some news!!

Today my parents went down to the new house. My step dad needed to work on some things in his shop. How about, they get there, and there are 2-3 cop cars outside!!! Sarahs dad, Tom, is doing the trim work in our house, and had called the cops. Heres the story:

Tom was inside working on trim when 2 people, a man and a woman, came in. The guy said he worked for Jax Plumbing and was the inspector and was asking to see the guage (???) b/c it failed inspection 3 times.Which oddly enough is true b/c someone forgot to put the top on before. So they stand there and talk to Tom for about 10 mins. Then the guy walks away, and the lady continues to talk to Tom. They are in the kitchen. Then Tom hears the front door open (which is locked, the only door that can be opened with a key is the back porch door). He hears it open but never close. Then he goes and looks, and the guy is loading up his truck with OUR CEILING FANS!! $1400 in CEILING FANS! Tom runs out of the house and yells at the guy to get out of the truck and unload the fans (well in a few choice words). So teh guy gets some out and Tom grabs the rest. Then the guy yells at the woman "GO GINA GO!!!" and they jump in the truck and haul butt. Well.. being the HIGHLY INTELLIGENT people they are, when they leave the driveway, they turn right, which is continuing back down the road we live off of. Well its a DEAD END STREET!!! So they have to go down there and then turn around and drive BACK by the house. At that point, Tom and a neighbor got the license plate. They call the cops, they come out, and then at that time my parents are there. The cops dusted for fingerprints and got some, got a description of the people, and also ran the tag and took a report. I just cannot believe these people would do this. I mean I know construction crime is EXTREMELY common, but to walk in, and talk to Tom to his face and do it in broad daylight! They could have waited until at night and busted out a window. I just cannot believe it. Thank God Tom got all the fans back before they hauled butt.

So anyways, thats my excitement. Ill have to reread the posts and reply.

Shantel, what kind of a nut job steals ceiling fans? This world if full of some crazy people. Building a house seems like such a stressful process as is, having someone steal from it probably just makes that stress level go way up.

To everyone that asked, I am doing fine. The baby is due October 1st. We are having a girl. We plan to name her Emma. [big Grin]

I will try to catch up with the other posts after work.

Krazy- OMG! What is this world coming to these days! That's totally insane...no beyond insane! Happy to hear that the fans were found and returned! crazy!

And to hear that no one got hurt....!

SG- Congrats!! That's so exciting! Is this your first?

luv- Do you know how big the knee block is on that saddle? And if it has a deep saddle? [smile] thanks!

Boy, I'm gone for a few hours and goshdarn it if you guys just don't stir things up again. [big Grin]

Dreamin--Welcome! And btw, my dressage trainer also has a barnful of Appys (mostly solids) that she takes to the Worlds every year. And, a couple of palomino Tiger Bar babies are doing dressage, one with an amateur and the other with a youth rider. The youth rider has qualified for regional championships up north this year. And, they're working on a pas de deux, which they'll do an exhibition of at one of the local chapter shows probably next year.

So my barn is very well-represented with Appys in dressage!

Krazy--first ice cream, now ceiling fans. [Roll Eyes] There are far too many mental patients running around out there without their meds. Thank goodness the cops responded (not likely in my neck of the woods) and maybe they'll catch these 2 Mensa members... [Roll Eyes]

Boo--Where's the new barn at? Congrats!! How nice for you and Beau!! Can't wait to see you in July!!

Have a great day, all! I'm taking a mental health day tomorrow, to go watch my trainer ride in the DeKunffy clinic and get Jag ready for Saturday. So I may or may not get online, we'll see.

quote:

Shantel, what kind of a nut job steals ceiling fans? This world if full of some crazy people. Building a house seems like such a stressful process as is, having someone steal from it probably just makes that stress level go way up.

Ditto! Some people... [Roll Eyes] .

3DayEventer - the seat is medium deep, and here is a pic of the saddle:

-

Welcome Dreamin'! My trainer has a blind Appy x Arab cross that is a 4th level schoolmaster and was Reserve Champion at the USDF Region 6 championships (I *think* that was the show) at 3rd level [big Grin] .

Inky - I've been loving the weather, but 90's are too hot for me! [Razz]

DQ - sounds like fun! [smile]

Shantel, thank goodness those thieves didn't hurt Tom. Nothing is worth someone's life. Sheesh, what crack pots!

Deequeue, my trainer's place is only 4 miles from where I have Beau now. There are only 6 horses there, including mine. She has a lovely dressage court, round pen, turn out, nature trail and is building another bigger arena out back. She even has hot water for the bath rack! And the barn I am at now is so cool, they are letting my move him June 1st without having to give 30 days notice. Only it will be the 2nd or 3rd for me, cause I will be out of town the week of May 29th. I get back that Fri. and will move him then. Have fun at the clinic tomorrow and I can't wait to see you in July either.

Santa, glad to hear you and "Emma" are doing fine. My son was born in October, on my birthday to be exact!!! He was 5 days early! Never thought in a million years, he would be born on my b.day! Best b.day present I ever had!! [Angel]

[ 05-18-2006, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Krazy - Wow! I thought that was something that people only did in the cartoons! What losers. At least once you've been settled into your house after some years go by, you'll be able to get a good laugh out of people's stupidity...

SG - Congratulations! How exciting!

I have a few questions for everyone...

Well, I've been working a ton of overtime this week (going 5 days a week to be exact, and school is still in). I've decided that I deserve some happiness and taking all the extra money I don't need for my usual monthly expenses and buying some of the things I want - which, of course, are all horse related. I need some suggestions:

Bridle - I've always like the "classic" Dressage bridle, black w/ flash and white padding. Are these "old school" now? Being replaced by flashless solid black bridles with bling-bling browbands?

Saddle Pad/Half Pad - I have a basic schooling saddle pad, but I am looking for something with theraputic qualities - either a gel pad or a more affordable fleece/sheepskin pad. I know luvhorses had an Equigel, did you like it?

Polo wraps - I have some, but they aren't the best quality. Does anyone know of a brand that seems to hold up well?

Girth - I know the typical way to measure is to subtract # of inches from your AP/CC girths, but do Dressage and Western measure the same way? I only know my horse's western size.

Thanks much everyone! Have a good weekend!

Dreamin, bridles with a flash are still used by a lot of folks. It just depends on what you want for your horse. I use a flash, but it is pretty loose. I personally don't care for white padding on the bridle, I like black on black. I only use a bling, bling brow band when I show, and it is on my show bridle, which I only use when I show.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! My saddle arrived today. Took it out of the box and it is gorgeous and has that delicious new leather smell. It came with a polar fleece cover with the saddle brand embroidered on it and a cute little pouch with a clip on it that had some leather cleaner in it. It is really a nice quality saddle. I pray it fits my horse as I zoom to the barn to find out. Voila' it fits!!!!!! I can't believe it fits him so well. Sits nicely, does not perch and is level on his back. Plenty of wither clearence, even more when I used my half pad. I love it. It rides nice, deeper seat than my old saddle and he stayed cantering without wanting to stop. I think he liked it too! Shampooed him and clipped him when I was done, for my schoola show tomorrow! I am definitely riding in the new saddle tomorrow!! I am so stoked it fits him so well!!

[ 05-19-2006, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

BooCoo - Thanks so much for the help! Good luck at your schooling show tomorrow! I'm sure you'll do great, you make such the lovely pair! I think getting a saddle that fits is a prize within itself, you are bound to get a lovely test tomorrow! [Wink] Don't forget the camera!

Thank you so much Dreamin. I sure hope so. He is doing really well and the saddle fitting is bound to help.

You know, Dressage Extensions has decent quality polo wraps that are reasonably priced. As for girths, you take 20" off the size of a long girth and then add 2 to 4 inches back on to that. But measure your horse to be sure. I don't know if they compare to western girths or not. I used to ride in a 34" western and my dressage girths are 32" But that is only with this brand. With another brand I could probalby use a 28" I got a real nice 1/2 pad at Equine Affaire this past Feb. Much less expensive that the catalogs. But shop around, you can find some decent deals, especially in Dover's sale catalogs.

[ 05-19-2006, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

I think it really depends on the billit length of your regular english girth and your dressage saddle. Layla is a honest 46/48" (48 if I have a shorter billit saddle). She wears a 22" dressage girth and its on the 6th holes on the left and 7th holes on the right with my saddle. I would just measure and see.

Work went well. I sold a LOT and got a few really great balance transfers so ended the night strong. Still have to work tomororw... Dang it.

The last 3 days, I havent had applesauce, so Ive been mixing water and a tiny bit of feed with the supplements, and SHOCK, shes eating them again. I know if I put it in her real breakfest or dinner she wont eat it b/c she has the other feed to pick out of it. But if I give it to her as a snack or treat, shes eating it. So thank God for now!

The coordinator at the reception location FINALLY called me today. After I had my friend call and act as my wedding planner. She said she was going to call me immediately. That was yesterday. She didnt call, so I called, left a polite message but DEF let her know how disappointed I was and not pleased. She called me back, we spoke, and Im going Wednesday morning to taste the Rib eye and finalize some things. Can you believe that this 5 star resturant doesnt have a ribeye?!? Its my favorite and I wasnt impressed with the filet. So shes going to order ribeye and if I like it, theyll have it on the menu for me. Finally getting somewhere.

Boo, do you mind me asking how much your saddle was? I really need a new saddle. Laylas is starting to not fit just BARELY and I really dont like how it fits me. Is this a custom saddle or a high quality thats adjusted? Im looking at euro american saddlery, pelham saddlery, trumbull mtn tack shop, and saddle source for used saddles I can try but Im not sure. Glad you love it! Good luck at the show.

Krazy, I am pm'ing you the link to the web site that I bought my saddle on. It's not a custom. They said you can adjust the tree to make it fit after you get it and put it on your horse. More info. coming in the PM.

Dreamin' - I too like the black-on-black bridles, and they will be easier to clean than ones with white.

I really like my Equigel. I got mine on sale a while back from Dover Saddlery for $79.90. I also have a $15 fake sheepskin half-pad from VTO Saddlery which I also like.

Ditto to Boocoo on the polos. I have a couple sets that are made by Kensington, which I purchased from State Line Tack.

My SMB II (hot pink [big Grin] ) boots and wormer came, I sure do love getting packages... [Wink][big Grin] .

Unfortunately Alibi's back is sore again, whenever I *barely* brush her she tries and sinks her back down so I don't touch it, as well as twitching badly. I have been rubbing some Trainer's Choice gel on her but I don't know how much it's doing. I gave her a bath yesterday and was gently sponging her body, and she did the same thing. She has also been backing up and not listening to my leg AT ALL when I ask her to move forward again, and that is VERY unusal behavior for her - this is a horse that despises being bad with a passion, she HATES getting in trouble, so I think it's a pain issue for sure, and the grooming/bathing supports that "theory". I am having the vet out to do routine shots, so I'll have Ali looked at again. I also switched farriers, and the new one shoes differently than the other, and she said Alibi could be sore from that, so we've been doing lighter riding with lots of stretching down and breaks, and not really much collection at all. I think I am going to give her some rest and maybe have the Equine Massage Therapist out - it couldn't hurt.