Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 7

Luv, I think an equine massage therapist would be very beneficial to Alibi. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Oops. This is what happens when you have an unplanned meeting with a jump standard. Full details are in my blog (linked below in my signature).

-

And just for interest, here is a picture of Fessor's eye with the pupil shining green from the flash. The irregular shape is a result of the uveitis, and is permanent.

-

-

Keep an eye out for Fessor on the main horsecity website. [smile] Our blog has been transformed into an article with a few pictures. It sounds like the article will be published on Wednesday.

Tracy

Great article about Fessor on the front page of Horsecity, Tracy. You have done an excellent job with him!!!

Sad news, folks, took my new saddle over to my trainer and she does not like the way it fits me. Fits my horse, but not me. So I sent it back and am trying a used one that belongs to a friend of mine. It's a Schleese. We shall see how it fits today. If not, my trainer and I are going saddle shopping in L.A. with a wither tracing and me sitting in the saddles.

Boo-after looking at the pics, I thought that it might have looked a little small for you, but I'm not the saddle guru... [Confused] Hopefully you can find something that fits both of you. If you're interested in Fryso saddles (all of us in Tiff's barn have them, she swears by them as she has just about every breed in the barn now except maybe a Clydesdale) let me know.

Can't wait to read the article on Fessor...started it but got interrupted (work gets in the way, you know how it is).

I'm in and out of the internet today, lots of technical problems and work problems...not a good day for me today... [Mad]

Sorry to hear about the saddle, Boo. Saddle shopping can be frustrating!

Deeque, Breathe for me, ok? You sound a bit stressed.

I'm pleased with how the article turned out. Now I just need to email the extended family so they can see it if they want. [smile] It's too bad I wasn't able to get any under saddle pictures. Ah, well. One of these days I'll find *someone* who will spend some extra time at the barn and take pics while I'm riding.

Tracy

Boo - thats too bad about your saddle, I hope you find one that fits both you and Beau!

Tracy - I haven't read the article but will definitely do so! [smile] .

I need some healing thoughts and/or prayers for my mom. She hasn't been feeling well at all in the past month or so, and she just found out she has asthma, a low circulating thyroid as well as border-line dieabetes (sp?). Thanks in advance...

The vet is coming out on Friday so we'll see what's up with little Alibi.

[smiley Wavey]

Shipped the saddle back this a.m. Took the Schleese out and it did not fit him. Pinched him. Same size seat as the other one and it fit me great. My trainer says it's cause my legs are soooo long! So off to Broken Horn on Sat. with a wither tracing and see if we can find something.

Deequeue sounds like it's Calgon time. My friend has a Fryso and it does not give my horse enough wither clearence!

Tracy, you should be pleased. Very well done.

Luv, prayers for your Mom. I need prayers for my hubby as well. He is having surgery on Friday.

[ 05-24-2006, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

[Angel]
Prayers for Luv's mom and Boocoo's hubby.

Tracy

Thank you!!!

[Angel][Huggy]

Thanks Boo. [Angel] for your hubby coming from WA!

quote:

[Angel]
Prayers for Luv's mom and Boocoo's hubby.

Tracy

Thanks Tracy, I really appreciate it!

3DE - If you are going to get a saddle without getting a horse first, I would recommend getting something with a changeable gullet system so that you can change it to fit whatever horse you happen to be riding at the time. Otherwise, there is no guarantee that it will fit the horse, which is the most important part.

DQ - VERY glad to hear that you and Jag are finally starting to click. That is fantastic news. It definitely takes time to build that bond, and since you are not the primary rider right now, it is going to take you and Jag even longer. You'll get there with him though. Can't wait to see some updated pics of your boy!! DQ - I hear you on the BAD DAY at work. Mine is more like BAD WEEK though. And mix in a total system conversion to an entirely new system that is TERRIBLE, and you have my week in a nutshell.

Boocoo - I DO NOT recommend getting a job!! Cuts into the riding time. Tell hubby to either ask for a raise or start working some overtime to pay for that new truck of his!! LOL Oooh, Boocoo, movin' to your trainer's barn!!!! GREAT, GREAT NEWS!!!! I can so understand how much that means to you. Razzle and I really thrive being under the watchful eye of Julie. Speaking of which, Julie is COMING BACK on the 3rd week of June!! YIPPPEEEE!!!! I can't wait. I miss her soooo much!! Sorry to hear that the saddle is a no go. Julie hates my saddle. She has always tried to get me to buy a new one, but it just isn't in the budget when it actually fits Raz. Well now Fe was griping about the saddle in my last lesson. Hrmph!! Two trainers don't like the saddle for me. Not looking good for my poor saddle. They both say that it just doesn't help me sit in the best position. Nothing "wrong" with it per se. Boocoo - hope your hubby's surgery goes well on Friday.

Dreamin' - Welcome aboard!! Good to have you. There is no such thing as too short, old or colorful when it comes to dressage. My boy Razzle would certainly blow the colorful one right out of the water!! As for your tack questions - The bridle - who cares what is in fashion, get whatever you want and works best for your horse. That has always been my philosophy. If you like the black with white padding and flash - go for it. That is still well in fashion by the way so you won't be all alone if you are really worried about that. When it comes to half pads vs. gel pads, I was just debating this the other day with my vet/chiro for Razzle. What she said to me was ALWAYS go with the fleece half pad over the gel pad for a couple of reasons. The gel pad can actually intensify any defects in the saddle such as uneven flocking and make the situation even worse. Also the fleece half pads tend to stay in place better and not move around so much. Polo wraps - my take on these is to buy the best $$$ value you can find (without buying the bargain basement $9/for a set of 4). All life expectancy of a polo wrap tends to be in direct proportion to the number of uses and washes!!! Finally, as for girth size - there is no magic way to find the "perfect" girth length except to get your saddle, saddle pads, half pads, etc. and put them on the horse and MEASURE with a measuring tape from one side to the other to determine exactly how long you want your girth to be. Short of that, you are taking a short in the dark and will probably be off by an inch or two which may or may not be a big deal. If the girth is too long, it is going to be up under the flap. If it is too short, it isn't going to reach the billets. Better to do an accurate measure and buy the perfect size girth the first time.

Shantel - Ceiling fan theft in the middle of the day with someone right there??? You have to be kidding?!?!? That is insane!!! Glad to hear Sarah's dad thought and acted quick and got all of your stuff back.

SG - You still have a ways to go to get to October, but your baby will be here before you know it. I love the name Emma!! Very pretty.

Luvhorses - Sorry to hear Alibi is sore again. I feel your pain. Raz still hadn't gotten his new shoes as of my lesson on Tuesday. So he still isn't right. I hope you get Alibi sorted out. Definitely look into whether or not her feet are right. That could absolutely be what is going on with her back. The massage would help. Maybe even some chiro, though lord knows, Alibi has had a ton of that already this year. So sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she is okay.

Tracy - LOVED the article!! Really well written. You have done such a great job with Fessor. Glad to hear his "brush" with the jump standard didn't turn out any worse than it did. That had to be quite scary for both of you. Sounds like you are both making the adjustment to his blindness quite well overall though.

~Shelly~

Smithereens, I will tell hubby that I am not to get a job. It will not be a good thing!! [big Grin] Actually, if I do work, it won't be 40 hours a week, it would be school hours, when my son is in school, so home in time to ride and still see family in the evenings. It's not to bad. Between the truck and the showing and the training and the lessons!! [Eek!] I am very glad to hear Julie will be back soon! I know you can't wait for that! My trainer currently has her right arm in a cast. She can still teach though, but can't get on any of our horses for a while!!!

Luv and Shelly, thanks for the prayers for the surgery. Fortunately it's an out-patient thing and he will hopefully be back to work by Tuesday.

Well as of Tuesday night Raz still didn't have his new shoes. I have a hard time justifying calling to complain to the farrier to HURRY UP when Raz is still rideable. I'm sure with all the rain we have had recently, he has an overabundance of horses with no shoes due to mud. He is probably trying to get those horses back to rideable before he gets to Raz who ISN'T an emergency. I want him to COME when I DO have an emergency, so I am trying to be patient and wait my turn right now as hard as it is.

Raz is showing huge improvement. I haven't been working on any collected work. I've been doing mostly long and low and then some Training Level with maybe a little First Level stuff thrown in here and there, but really keeping it very basic. Gabrielle has been doing lots of long and low and her Training Level work. We switched from the gel pad to the fleece half pad. Plus he has had a week's worth of the two week course of the muscle relaxants, the chiro appointment and the massage appointment. So his back pain is GONE. I couldn't elicit a single reaction from him no matter how hard I tried. That's great. However, under saddle when I ride him, he is forging like mad, stiff to the left (the side he had more pain on) and resistant when I try to get him to collect. He is short striding terribly in the front because his front feet are still sore. We are alternating the tiny amounts of collected work we are asking for with LOTS of long and low relaxed work so as not to stress him and overdo it. That seems to be working great, but what he really needs is NEW SHOES so that we can get back to some real training.

I do have a show next weekend afterall. This is supposed to be our step up to Second Level. Ahh well. . . I'm more concerned with getting Gabrielle to the show for her Training Level class. I entered my classes with a "wait and see" approach. We'll wait and see how he feels next Sunday. If he feels okay, if the weather isn't too hot/cold/rainy, if the times are decent, etc., etc., etc., I may try one or both or may scratch. Just have to make up my mind on the spot in warm up. If I get no training in whatsoever between now and then, but he feels great when we get there, I may give it a shot and just play with it to see how it rides. So what if we blow it. It's just a small little unrated show where no one knows us!!! [big Grin]

~Shelly~

Just a quick one, guys--I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators here and with an assistant on crutches, a holiday weekend coming up, and just general chaos otherwise, I'm afraid I don't have time to respond to all of you...but I promise you're all in my thoughts today!

We "sticked" Jag yesterday, because I've noticed I can't see over his withers anymore (I'm 5'10" and no shrimp). He's now 16.2hh...he's grown 2 inches since he got here in December! [Eek!]

I PROMISE I will get some pics, asap. Trainer's up at a huge show at Flintridge this weekend, maybe I can get someone to take some shots of me and the Jagman on Saturday, in my western saddle [Roll Eyes] . He's really changed so much, and we expect him to grow maybe another inch, and hopefully out instead of up, body down a bit.

See y'all later! [smiley Wavey]

Boo -- So very sorry about the saddle! I know how much it sucks. I am currently on my *sixth* saddle in the whole fitting game. Sometimes I just want to cry...and ride bareback...

DQ - Isn't it amazing how we can tell when a horse grows? Not quite the same scenario as yours, but the horse I used to lease was a 16hh thoroughbred. When I went to see the horse I currently own for the first time, my first reaction when he was in the crossties was "Wow, here's a little guy!" He's 14.2hh but built like a tank and can make anyone look correctly sized on him. Now I'm so used to having him, he seems pretty normal.

luv - Prayers for your mom! [Angel] It's so hard when you know someone you love is sick, but I'm sure things will get better. Crossing my fingers for you and Alibi! I think once you get her problem figured out, she's going to be amazing for you! Don't give up just yet!

smithereens - Thanks so much for your tack advice and warm welcome! Not to sound corny, but I have to say I admire you and Razzle. You're such a talented horsewoman and yet you don't think you're "too good" to own and train a paint versus the big impressive warmbloods (and no offense at all to WB owners - I used to ride a GP Hanoverian in lessons, they really are amazing). Good luck at second level. That seems so impossible for me to fathom right now, but I know if someday I (and I'll dream big and say my horse, too) could perform at Second successfully, I could die happy.

Tracy - Great article, I enjoyed it so much! You have such a tremendous horse.

In other news...

I'm finally taking my overtime money and heading to a new tack store we found some 25 miles away. I decided if I could get most of the things I think I want in person, it would save me a lot of hassle shipping things back, waiting for an order, etc. I am so revved! Tack stores are like amazing to me...good ones are very scarce around here.

I also tried to put polos on my boy yesterday! He did VERY well for what I think was his first wrapping. Our ring was occupied so I just trotted him around in-hand with them. It was such a different trot! I don't know if the wraps have anything to do with it or if I just caught him on a good day...

I better go put a small amount of money in my pocket and quickly LOCK the rest up... [Crazy]

I'll let you know how it goes! [smiley Wavey]

quote:

Boo - I hear you on the cost of lessons, training, and showing. Who needs to EAT???
[ROTFL]

~Shelly~

[ROTFL]

Shelly - sorry to hear about the shoe situation, I know how you feel about that too! I also have been doing long and low work since the farrier appt., but have not ridden since Sunday since Alibi was sooooo sore. Glad to hear Raz's back pain is gone.

I picked up some Absorbine liniment that came with a free pack of 8 Vet Patches...anyone used them before? I don't know if they'll make much of a difference with her back pain, but it's worth a try.

DQ - wow, Jag HAS grown! He's a big boy [big Grin] .

Dreamin' - thanks for the prayers, I really appreciate them. Let us know how the tack shopping goes [big Grin] !

Tracy - I too thought the Fess article was really, really well done.

[smiley Wavey]

[Mad] Warning: Vent [Mad]

(Condensed version)

Gah! So I leave for the tack shop (actually - shops as there are supposedly several on the same road -- how awesome, right?) armed with enough cash to purchase enough products to supply the USET for at least a month or so...

We get to the first store to realize that they are just about gone out of business -- they are only open one day a week to clear some stuff out, during the hours I work on that particular day. We continue on to find that the other saddle shops have been long gone without any sort of trace. Fun.

Now all hopes of getting local tack, being able to hold it in my hands and make a decision on it, are gone. There are plenty of tack stores around here, but are western or hunter/jumper, and even those have poor management and even worse stocking skills.

I don't know what to do. I don't feel like ordering from Dover or one of the multitudes of tack stores out there to buy things that I have never seen save for a picture, wait a week or more to get them, be terribly disappointed, and waste more money sending it all back.

There are at least three large Dressage barns around here. Can they possibly order everything offline?

Frustrated x 10

Thanks much, I needed that.

Shelly, we have to eat? I am seriously trying to kick that habit. Had I done that sooner, that other saddle would have fit me!!!!!! [ROTFL]

DQ, can't believe Jag has grown that much. He was quite a big boy when I saw him back in April!! Beau is 16.2 himself, but everyone thinks he is taller cause he is so big and dark!

Dreamin, I order almost everything on line. It is very hard to find anything local. However, the saddle thing is a pain, so I did a card board cut out of Beau's withers today, using a flexi curve and I am taking it with me to Broken Horn on Saturday. Maybe they will have something in stock that will fit us both!

I feel so selfish when I read everyones post and with everything thats going on, I cant remember who to respond to, only my own problems. I do appologize. But this is where I vent, so here it goes:

RGEHMDFGJW4T20498UIT 9Q3 5I-94YHGRESGHD FJGWT#!$!^$)%ethdg ohj#we%)rutJQ390EA TJFQWetU94W^)(ut#%(ewr

Ahh.. better.

Basically what that means is Im so stressed. The old house, the new house, the new barn, the address for the wedding, the planning of the wedding, the vendors, and now, Laylas feet. I just have SO much going on, mentally I cant STOP. I havent slept a good, solid night in over a month. The only time I get sleep is when Im doped up on drugs (mostly my moms Xanax). Last night, I was up until 5 AM!!!! Laying in bed, mind going crazy. Tossing and turning. So much going on... I finally fell asleep but had an appt with Sarah at the barn at 8 30 to ride.

We asked Barbara last night what time she was feeding this morning. She said 7:30am. We get there at 8 40 and she JUST drove out and dumped the feed outside!!! And I had to be done at like 10-10:30 b/c I had a DJ meeting at 11:30. So Sarah and I drove down to the new house to see the progress.

The stupid $#%$^&^%#^%^*&^(*#%^ electrician is the ONE thing that is keeping us from moving in. He has been #$%^&%^& off since he started this job. And since he pulled the permits in HIS name, no one else can do the work. We brought all the fans and lights down, marked on them which ones went where and what color fan blades were to show. AFTER they were almost STOLEN from us, he puts them in, with the wrong colors in. Then we tell him, look the ceiling isnt finished in the porch so put all of the up but the porch. What does he do? ONLY puts the porch up!!!!! Then the glass dome for my moms fan is broken when they open the box, the fireplace is better but it still looks like crap (And NOT $2700 worth of work!), and we have to move out the 29th (YES MONDAY!) and the house isnt ready.

Then I start to put 2 and 2 together with Laylas unwillingness to work lately and sore hips.. her feet started looking more and more off to me. So I take pics, and post them on COTH, and lets just say, its my first 4 page post and its been 2 days! She has underrun and contracted heels which is putting all her weight on her too long toes, and making her so sore. I was thinking I was getting too FAT and making her sore. UGH. And I constantly ask my farrier about that specific issue of her heels and he assures me they are fine. Well now my horse is in so much pain that my try-so-hard-to-please-and-never-say-no mare is saying NO b/c shes hurting that bad. UGH!!!!!!! And I cant find a decent farrier!

Luckily the owner of a tack store up the road, who shows the A circuit HJ in this area gave me 2 references. One of them I spoke to his daughter as he was mowing the lawn, and shes friends with my friend at work who has horses. I spoke to my friend about him and she said he does really good work. So CROSSING MY FINGERS he can come out ASAP.

Im also wondering if I should give her some bute b/c shes sore? Like a gram or something?

*sigh*

I also got the # for an equine massage sport therapist and left a message for her from my friend as well. She said she does a great job. So hoping she calls back too and I am determined to make my too nice and too honest mare comfortable.

And I dont have mats for my barn for the move, or a dumpster for the manure, or the tack room finished. Or all my stuff packed. Or a DJ. And all the addresses for guests and the weddings JUST BARELY over FOUR MONTHS AWAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

God. I need some alcohol. Im physically exhausted but mentally I cannot shut down. My muscles are shaking from fatigue b/c Ive had like 2 1/2 hrs of sleep, after riding (light hack to evaluate Layla more than work) yesterday and the day before really hard.

Anyways, thats my vent. Let me recap and try to remember, sorry Boo that the saddle didnt work out, good luck with Raz (I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!), Jag is getting so big, and I think someone elses pony isnt feeling too hot (is it your Alibi again Luv?). Sorry if Im talking like a chicken with my head cut off.. I feel like it.

VENT OFF.

{{{{{{{{{{Shantel}}}}}}}}}} [Huggy]

Anyone who's trying to get married, build a house, sell another one, deal with a sore horsie, and let's see what else? deserves to throw a few fits. Go right ahead....

Then step back, take a couple of REALLY deep breaths, and put one foot in front of the other. And NEXT time, don't try to get married, build a house, sell another one, and deal with a sore horsie all at the same time...geez.... [bang Head]

Just 2 out of those 4 would be enough to put me in a rubber room, and I'm pretty tough (most of the time). Anytime you have deal with those rocket scientists known as contractors or subs creates enough stress to choke an elephant. I will be dealing with it myself here shortly, so I feel your pain.

And putting on a wedding???? holy cow. I'm glad I've only had to do it once, and that was with help from family & friends. It was all I could focus on for a year. Just one tip--spend as much as you can on a great photographer/videographer cuz it's all you have left afterwards...take it from an old married hag who got the best photographer money could buy at the time, and never regretted it.

Seriously, take those deep cleansing breaths and maybe you and your man can sneak away for a little getaway or something, just to escape from the nuttiness and focus on each other for a change... [Wink]

HALLEJUAH! Do a little dance.... [Yay][Yay][Yay] My saddle is SOLD!!! Well one of them lol. It figures, I've had my other saddle up for sale for over a year, and it's still on the market, then I have this one up for less than 7 days, and it's sold LOL That alone pays for my half of our move to NJ! [Yay] No more wondering how in the heck I'm going to be able to afford it! [Yay]

Congratulations on selling the saddle, Inky!

Shantel, breathe. Will your family doctor write you a prescription for Xanex? If so, it might be worth checking out. I know that if my sleep patterns get disrupted, *especially* if I get too little sleep, I tend to be much more susceptible to depression. If you could have something help take the edge off enough to let you sleep, it might help.

I'm sorry to hear about Layla. Best of luck finding a new, GOOD farrier. [Angel]

Tracy

Thanks guys. I loff my little family on here and surely do appreciate that I can vent here as well.

[Huggy][Huggy][Huggy]

Ive been up since 8 with 2 1/2 hrs of sleep, going ALL over today trying to take care as much stuff as I can. Im PRAYING that I will fall out and stay asleep throughout the night.

Tracy, Im going to go to my Dr and talk. Im 99.9% sure she'll write me a Rx for Xanax. Ive been going to her since '93 and she knows my history, not only health wise but also whats happened in my life as far as hardships and things that can effect my mental health, so shes a wonderful woman. I used to have REALLY bad, unbarable back pain, and at college one day, walking from class to another, I could barely move. I called and left a message that I was in horrible pain and she called in an Rx for Flexeril over the phone for me. LOL She def is a good one. I just need to get in there. In between all this. Maybe Wednesday morning?

DQ, yes I def did not skimp on the photo or the video people. My videographer does HD and when they are able to produce HD DvDs from his digital recordings, Ill get it like that too. Right now he shoots in a really high resoluation and it LOOKS high def, but the equipment and costs right now to produce it is too high. But in the next few years, he'll be able to produce it at an affordable cost. Just like back in the day, uhhh 2-3 yrs ago, DVDs were so expensive to make and now your computer and video camera can make them. I def went all out with the video. At the interview with the DJ, I told him my video and photo people and he was like "wowwww.. the video people are REALLY great and their product is top class. And the photo guy is really great too."

This is my videographers website

http://www.firstcoastbrides.com/

And this is the photographer

http://www.naturallyphotography.com/

Check them out.

Well I went to Petsmart and got some horsey powder asprin. Mixed it with water and squirted it in Laylas mouth. After she got a taste, she wasnt happy about it. But shes so well behaved, when I went to give her the 2nd shot in the mouth, she just stood there. [Angel] So tolerant. But she walked around for like 5 mins trying to get the taste out of her mouth. So I brought her 3 carrots lol. Hoping that takes the edge off a little. I also have some Sore-No-More body shampoo Im going to do tomorrow. Just waiting a call back from one of the 2 farriers I called and also an equine sport massage therapist.

I think exhaustion has taken hold. Which is good. Starting to feel calmer and more relaxed. Randy has noticed my stress and bless his heart, last week he spent like 3 hours online finding photographers and DJs (as I didnt have either) and called people for me. And today he got a few hours off work so he could go with me to the DJs. Hes trying to help the best he can. [bat Eyelashes]

Cross your fingers I actually SLEEP. The last time I was so tired like this, I slept sound for 2 hours then I woke up and couldnt get back. Good vibes.. good vibes!

Inky, WTG! Congrats on the sell. Ive sold enough of those dang things to know how exciting it is. [big Grin]

*breath in* *breath out*

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Hummmmmmmmmm...

Ok now Im just acting silly from lack of sleep. LOL Thankfully even with all the stress, I havent gotten mad or sad or felt down. Im still happy and laughing and being silly, just tense and not sleeping and mind going 1000000 mph. [smile]

Off to prep for sleepy sleep!

[ 05-26-2006, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: KrazyTBMare ]

quote:

and I think someone elses pony isnt feeling too hot (is it your Alibi again Luv?).

Yup, it's Alibi, again [Roll Eyes] . Poor pony, she's been having a bit of a rough time health wise lately.

I forgot to mention it on here, but last weekend I noticed she had two little sores on her nose and it was runny, kind of "murky". My friend called the vet on Monday when they opened to arrange an appointment for us, as well as another friend, to have our horses shots (and teeth floating for one horse) done, and the vet looked at Alibi's back and nose, and wrote a note saying to call her, as I was not at the appointment. I gave her a call but she was out on call, and she's calling me back...I just hope Alibi is okay. I went out today and groomed her and put some liniment on her back to try and make her a bit more comfy. Don't know how much it did though. I'll post an update once I talk to my vet.

Things sound super crazy for you Shantel, but I'm glad things are a tad better. When my mom sold her house, and her fiance (now husband) sold his, and then they moved into the house they are now, it was quite the job - and planning a reception/wedding...so I can sympathize to some extent!

Congats on selling the saddle, Inky! [Yay] . Thats awesome, and yes, about time [Wink][big Grin] ! I just wish I could get mine sold too (its been on the market for almost a year).

Dreamin' - sorry to hear about your disappointing tack shopping experience...I buy most of my stuff from Dover Saddlery, and some smaller things at the local tack shop (Dover has better deals). Good luck getting what you need!

[smiley Wavey]