Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 7

Congrats on selling your saddle Inky.

Shantel, you do have a lot on your plate! But...... once the wedding is behind you, things will settle down and you won't regret any of it. The wedding will be beautiful! And I agree, a great photographer and videographer are well worth it. Looks like you have that under control.

Got home from the hospital today at 8 p.m. We got there at 1 p.m. for a 2 0'clock surgery. They did not wheel him back until 4:20!!!!!! Poor guy has had nothing to eat or drink all day, not even allowed any water! In the mean time, my son is at our neighbors and has karate tonight. They are getting awards and new belts. Fortunately the neighbor's kid does karate with him. So I called her and she fed him and took him with them to karate. He had his uniform with him. We got home at 8 p.m. and he got home 5 min. later! Loooooooooooooong day. Hubby is doing great. I fed him dinner, then heavily medicated him and sent him to bed where he is now happily sawling logs!!!

The saddle arrived back at the place I bought it from and they have issued the credit, so off to Broken Horn I go tomorrow to saddle shop with my wither cut out of my horse!!!

Boo - Don't hospitals suck sometimes? We've found ourselves in them quite a few times over the past year, nothing too serious though, thank God. Here's to wishing you all a quick recooperation!

luv - Good luck with all of your vet proceedings, I'm sure in the end it will all work out, most of the times it does.

Inky - Congrats on selling the saddle! I feel your pain! I currently have a few to sell off, so it looks like I will spend some time on eBay this weekend.

Well, I finally put my order in for tack, once I chilled out a little bit. I was going to go through Dover, but decided to go through SLT since they had just about everything I wanted in stock w/ free shipping. I like when it all gets here at once, much easier to keep tabs on. SLT stuff usually gets here within a few days since they're only in NY and I'm in PA. I remember the first time we ordered there (I'm tempted to say 1998 or 1997?), it took 3 weeks for an in-stock item to get here. I think they've grown a lot since then, though.

I ordered a purple Ventilator pad since I didn't want to buy a heavy halfpad with summer coming up. I used to have a Ventilator that I liked a lot, it had gel and foam and I think maybe fleece, too. I got matching polos from Keenland. I am assuming it's 4 per pack, I sure hope so! I got a leather Dressage girth from SLT brand. Limited quanities available, but I think I managed to get one. I remember looking at the same exact girth in their '98 catalog. I guess someone cleaned out the closet! I also got a fleece girth cover (since I imagine leather can feel icky in the summer) and some bit loops (for my full cheek). The bridle I wanted was out of stock and had a several week wait. Rather than spend double for another with no reins, I got a cheap-o flat bridle/rein set from Tack Wholesale. I don't imagine it's going to be amazing, but I just wanted something to tide me over 'til I get to Dressage at Devon to find something better. I sort of like the look of the flat bridles, too. Tack Wholesale is in OH, so that should get here pretty quick.

And the man I bought my saddle from received payment on Thursday, so as soon as he finds a box, the saddle is coming! I pray it gets here in one piece!

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everyone!! [smiley Wavey]

*Edited because my keyboard hates me*

[ 05-27-2006, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Dreamin' ]

Well I had my first lesson with my new instructor today. The asprin helped, I couldnt get Layla to flinch while pressing on her hips or stifle area. We worked on ME the entire time, majority at the walk, and like maybe 10 mins of trot, not collected, just working on my position. She barely broke a sweat. She is comfortable if I just hack her, but if I ask for rounder, more through work, thats when the feet really become an issue.

Sarah had a lesson before me. She and Ben did GREAT. It was her first lesson in over 2 years. Id say her first FORMAL lesson with a REAL instructor!! Not back yard stuff or me giving her help. I got LOTS of pics of her and Ben, and VIDEO CLIPS. Ill make a post for it though. LOL Youll have to go check it out.

But, as Ive known, my saddle really doesnt compliment me. Its made for someone with a smaller thigh. It fights my leg and doesnt allow room for me to have any angle in my knee b/c my thigh is rounder. But it fits Sarah wonderfully, so shes going to buy it. I was going to do a buy/trade thing where I got her jumpig saddle, but to get a dressage saddle that is what I want and fits me, I need more than the additional $600 shed give me. Im going to have to tell her that I need to sell it to her straight out so I can afford my own saddle. I really dont have a need for a jumping saddle or one that can be sold for $500 or more.

The Moms and I went looking for a place to live until the house was finished. Some of the places were like ghetto, or too expensive, or didnt allow pets. But we finally found a place at the Ramada down the street. The rooms are nice, safe, clean, good location, decent price, allows pets, and also has a microwave and mini fridge. And a great pool! LOL Ill be without a computer for a week or 2 or whatever, but I can get on here at work, just not COTH. But work allows this place and UltimateDressage forums?? But not COTH. Oh well.

Well Im going to go upload and make my post.

quote:

I got matching polos from Keenland. I am assuming it's 4 per pack, I sure hope so!

I am almost positive its a four pack! [smile] .

Shantel - sounds like you just selling your saddle to Sarah is the way to go...I am thinking about putting mine on consigment and then buying a used Niedersuss, as the Niedersuss fits Alibi, but my current saddle, the Theo Sommer, does not.

Unfortunately if I put my saddle on consigment I will lose $240 *if* it sells for $1200, but its worth it as until then I can't really ride Alibi. I have a chiro appt. set up, well I'm in the process of setting one up, it will be either the 2nd or 9th of June. The sooner the better! I was also at the tack store (and I DID NOT BUY ANYTHING [shocked][big Grin] ) and got a business card for an Equine massage therapist that also does chiro work, and so I am thinking about setting something up with her as well.

ETA: glad your hubby is doing good Boocoo!

[smiley Wavey]

[ 05-31-2006, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Hey, everyone!

Not much time over here, but I wanted to ask a quick question. The tack I ordered from SLT got here today and I love it! I took the girth to the barn to measure around Image and it come to just past his leg on both sides. With the saddle, it should fit fine on the lower holes (I can't say for sure, though, since it hasn't arrived yet, but I am 99.9% sure at this point). Should I return it and get one size bigger, anyway? I think once he loses a few more pounds, it will be a little bigger. Any ideas? It's a lovely girth and I may not be able to get another in a different size (very ltd. quantities available), is it worth risking not getting one?

Thanks much!

Hey guys! Good news! I am able to access the internet from the hotel!

My computer uses a wireless connecter to connect to my parents computer and the Cable connection. Well, the hotel offers free wireless connection (high speed too!). I plugged the computer it, and BAM, here I am. Too cool. The Moms and I were severely lacking from our computer fix.

The house still isnt ready. It kind of sucks living in a hotel. None of the farriers Ive called are taking new patients. So Im at a standstill.

Going to try a few different farriers tomorrow. But yay. Im back. Heh.

Shantel - hope you find a new, good farrier soon! Thats cool you have internet access [Razz] .

Ali got adjusted today and is feeling lots better!

I will write more later, but I gotta go.

[smiley Wavey]

Dreamin, I would wait and see how the girth fits once the saddle arrives. Then if it appears to be too short, exchange it.

Thanks everyone for the girth help! I can't seem to find a good way to explain it, so I'll just have to take a picture of it when I girth up the saddle, which should be soon because...

[Yay] look what came in the mail today.... [Yay]

-

The saddle looks nice, Dreamin. What kind is it? My new one should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it fits so I can start selling my old one!!!

Ditto to Boocoo.

I decided to put my saddle on consigment at a well-known tack shop in my area. I am asking $1200 for it, since they charge a 20% cosignment fee (pretty standard, 20% that is, right?)...which would leave me with $960 to get a new saddle, + some money from my pocketbook. I dropped it off today and one of the saleswoman said she thought the best I'd do was $900, excluding the consignment fee...noooo way. This saddle is practically new, it was used LIGHTLY (as in twice a week, sometimes once) for 4-5 months, and cleaned regulary, stored in a cover in a heated tack room, you can't tell its been used. Its selling new for $1800+. We'll see what the saddler thinks about it, he is looking at it tomorrow AM.

Alibi was MUCH better after the chiro adjusted her, she was one sore horse! I rode her bareback and she was really good, so that is one piece of good news.

[smiley Wavey]

DQ - WOW!!! Your baby is getting BIG!!! He has bypassed Raz by an inch now.

Dreamin' - I know the feeling about "downsizing" in horses. My last horse was 17.2hh, and my current horse is 16.1hh so he feels like a munchkin to me in comparison!! It is a much better fit though because I am only 5'4". My last horse was just way too big for me. I fit Raz much better. Dreamin' - if Raz and I successfully master Second, I think I can die happy as well!!! HA!!! I can't even BEGIN to tell you what a struggle it is to move up from First to Second Level. There is just this huge gap about the size of the Grand Canyon between First and Second Level that you just have to figure out and master all on your own before you can move up. No one can teach it to you because it is all about discovering "your feel". You will either find it, or you won't, and it just takes time and practice. Sorry to hear that the tack shopping experience was a bust. Yes, I order about everything on line. Either Dover, Dressage Extensions or E-Bay. Dressage Extensions is my personal favorite. Dreamin' - sounds like a perfect sized girth to me. You really don't want it too long because then it is going to come up under the flaps and interfere with your leg, the saddle pad and the saddle flaps. If you are expecting the horse to lose some weight, then you want the girth to be a little on the short side right now. Love the new saddle!!!

Shantel - DEEP BREATH!!!! Wow, do you need a day - maybe a week - in the spa!!! You have WAY TOO much going on there, girl. First off, give Layla some time off for her feet. You have a call in to a farrier. Once her shoes are redone, give her ANOTHER week off to adjust to the new shoes and have the massage therapist or chiro come work on her. That will clear your calendar and free up some time for you to relax a little. The stress of wedding planning, building a house and moving - well any one of those alone is enough to drive a person to insanity, but all of them together - OUCH!!! You are begging for total mental breakdown. Try to take one thing at a time and realize that things will come together. Everything has a way of working out. If you don't have stall mats, oh well. The horses will deal for a month. A little extra on the shavings to compensate. Glad to hear that you have found a place to stay until the new house is done, and that Randy is helping with getting the details of the wedding pulled together. Now GO GET that electrician and ride his $%##$@ until the job is DONE!!! Good luck, and come vent whenever you need too. [Huggy] Sorry to hear none of the farriers are willing to take Layla on. Did they have any referrals for you??

Inky - CONGRATS on selling the saddle!!! That is fantastic that it paid for half the trip to NJ!! What great news. How is the sale of Buster coming along?? Any bites??

Boo - Glad to hear that hubby's surgery went well - even if it was a loooonnnnggg day at the hospital. Good luck with the saddle shopping, AGAIN!!

Luvhorses - Sounds like you have been on quite the little shopping spree!! Hope Alibi is feeling better. Let us know what the vet had to say. Glad to hear the chiro made such a difference in how Ali is feeling. Hope you get the full $1200 that you are looking for on the saddle. I think that sounds fair how little the saddle was used, and yes, I believe 20% is fairly standard.

~Shelly~

My 2nd new saddle will arrive today. I tried a used Schleese that a friend of mine was selling. It had a wide tree and a medium twist. It hurt me to sit in it and especially to trot and Beau would hardly move out in it at all. It pinched his shoulders. So I took my cardboard cut out to Broken Horn and fit it under Barnsby's, Passier's, Windsor Greenline's, Anky's, Stubbens, and the best fit seemed to be the Anky. 2nd was the Windsor Greenline. Came home and ordered the Anky from Dover. They had one in stock. One only. Broken Horn did not have my seat size in stock. I sat in one 1/2" smaller and even that felt comfy. The Anky is very nicely made. So hopefully it fits. We shall see today. Will update tonight.

My husband is doing great. Thanks everyone so much for asking! My sister and Mom came back from Tucson with me and we went to the Santa Monica Pier the other day and ate at Bubba Gumps Shrimp. Delicous!! Then we went up the coast to Malibu and played on the beach. What a blast. The waves were huge and broke right on the edge of the beach. I never saw so many people having so much fun!!!! My husband didn't play as hard as usual, but he was feeling much better and had a great day!

[ 06-06-2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

quote:

I can't even BEGIN to tell you what a struggle it is to move up from First to Second Level. There is just this huge gap about the size of the Grand Canyon between First and Second Level that you just have to figure out and master all on your own before you can move up. No one can teach it to you because it is all about discovering "your feel". You will either find it, or you won't, and it just takes time and practice.

Huge ditto! It is a really BIG jump from First to Second, thats for sure.

About horse's height - going from my 16.1 large-barreld Dutch WB to a 14.2 narrow Arabian is the difference between day and night! [ROTFL] I was a peanut on Moekie, the Dutch WB... [big Grin] .

Boocoo - glad to hear your hubby is doing well, thats great news. Sounds you had a good time at the beach [smile] .

Inky - ditto to Shelly, any updates on the selling of Buster?

The vet still hasn't called me back, and I've called two to three times. I don't want to pester her, but we *do* need to talk.

[smiley Wavey]

Okay for the Buster update. -> [bang Head] I keep getting offers of a 100.00 or less or asking if I'll give him to them for free. In a very real world, I could literally get more for him if I sold him to slaughter (Don't worry I am NOT doing that, repeat NOT doing that) One girl who lives in this town offered me 100, apparently already thinks he's basically sold to her as she's already telling me she's looking for a place to board him because she doesn't like where I keep him, and that she can pay for him on June 25th. Seriously, here are some of his latest pictures, is there just some incredibly wrong with him that I'm not picking up on??????

-

-

-

-

[ 06-06-2006, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Inky, where do you live? It could be the area you are in ... some places simply have more disposable income than other places. Or it could be the way you are advertising him. I haven't been following any of this, so I don't know anything about Buster either ... age, training, breeding, etc.

What are you asking for him? Perhaps if you bump up the price $2,500 from whereever it is now, you'll get more interest!

[big Grin] Sorry Rio I couldn't in my right mind honestly ask even over a 1000 for him [Wink] But of course you don't know why. Buster's a 5 year old rescue I adopted a couple months ago. I haven't started him under saddle yet because we had to do some major regaining of trust in humans. We've been working on his ground manners which used to be non existent. It's pretty apparent that he was ridden at one time, due to the large saddle scars on the back, he's got about 3-4 of them. He also had whiplashes that were just starting to heal up when I got him. I'm asking a fairly low price for him to begin with him, but not THAT low. I'm just looking to cover his adoption fee and nothing else!

[ 06-06-2006, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Inky - I think Rio is very right and may be on to something. When I was selling my mare, it seemed that because I had her price pretty low to begin with (in the $800 range) "people" (I'll refrain from calling them what I think they really were/are) who were interested and looking were the ones who wanted a horse for nothing and figured it was a lot easier to get $800 down to $300 than it was to get $1800 down to $300. In all honesty, I think you can bump it up. A whole new wave of serious people may get the message. Sometimes people won't look at 3-digit horses because they figure something is wrong with them. I have seen some absolutely crazy horses sell for five digits and more. I don't think you have to price to-the-dollar on training only. I think there's a lot of potential in Buster and that will bring you in the money. Not that this is the case entirely, but for an example it's like would you spend $1,000 on a horse maxed out at First level or $1,800 for a horse currently doing Intro but could advance well to 3rd Level?

Maybe I'm naive or something (hah!), but I think that little pony of yours is worth WAY more than $100.

Inky - Thought I'd reply again in case you wouldn't see the edit. I understand you not wanting to make a profit on this horse, but it may be in Buster's best interest if you raise his price to see if a more suitable home could be provided. If you feel that guilty, you could always donate the profit to a favorite equine charity.

Inky - just a quick reply - if you have the word "rescue" in your ad, that is probably what is doing it to you. People figure you didn't pay anything so should you get anything back for him. You can tell him his history when they call on him, but don't put the word "rescue" in the ad itself. Term him more as a "project pony with a lot of potential for an experienced rider".

~Shelly~

Boo - Fingers crossed the new saddle fits both of you perfectly!! The day at the beach sounds divine. Glad to hear hubby is up and about.

Luvhorses - Sounds like it is time to start pestering that vet! I would WANT to know. Pester away.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

Maybe I'm too honest and guilt stricken for my own good
[Razz]
Thanks Dreamin, and will do Smithereens.

Inky, definitely tell the potential buyers he is a rescue when they call or e-mail about him; however, don't invite the low-ball offers by putting up the flashing neon RESCUE sign right in the ad. People see the word RESCUE and immediately think they can get the horse for free. Yes, you got him for short money, BUT you have invested time, effort, expense, board, food, etc. into bringing Buster along from what he was then to what he is now. He isn't the same horse. He is worth more now. Your time, trouble and expense are worth something. That needs compensating.

~Shelly~

Ditto to what everyone else is saying Inky. Don't advertise as a rescue. You can tell them honestly when they come to see him. Also, up your price from $1000 to at least $1500, then you have some room for people to wheel and deal with you and they think they are getting a deal. I was trying to sell a filly for $1000 last summer. I wasn't getting any response, or ridiculously low offers. Upped the price to $1500 and got lot of offers and ended up getting $1350 for her.

Well, I am back from the barn. The farrier came this afternoon. He came out, watched her walk towards him and away from him, and quickly w/t/c on the lunge. He said she was very unbalanced and her RF heel was way too long as were her toes. He said when he trimmed the heel, it was unstable (side to side, like not solid) so said if it were clubby (as it was looking more up and down in the angles) that the bars and heel would be more solid. When he took all that heel off, WOW. Look. The heels were WAY back where they were supposed to be. I couldnt believe how nice she looked like a proper trim.

The LF is the lower heel and thats the one that had the wedge and he agreed that a wedge pad can encourage the crushing of the heels. He felt the heels were underrun but NOT contracted. He was able to bring them back as well. When he was done, the hooves looked much better and similar, though he said that they will never be exactly alike, which is common. Her LF is, oh boy he used some big words that basically he said meant that it turned sightly to the inside, and for the most part, it could be corrected, but it wont ever be exactly perfect. He put bigger shoes (like so that she had the support all the way back, a VERY small trailer b/c he didnt want her to tear them off) and TWO nails on each side! Ive never seen that little. He said 2 good, strong nails will hold just as good as 5 or 6. There was no reason for that many nails.

Her hind feet were similar, just not as bad. But he was able to bring the heels back and everything. It was crazy to see her feet, esp the front, which were more noticable. Her RF (as its not as flat as the LF) looks like a "real" hoof. I was so happy.

Sometimes the mare would get really nervous with the farrier (poop a lot and bob her head and wiggle a little bit) but she stood perfectly still, pooped once, and had her head hanging and was licking and chewing and had floppy ears. She was very relaxed and the more he worked on her, the more and more she relaxed. She def looked more comfortable after the work was done.

I didnt get pics, as I have my digi and I cant hold the fot and take good pics. But Im going back out there to see how she moves (he said she shouldnt get TOO sore b/c we are actually putting her back to where she needs to be and she was sore b/c she was incorrect and Ill really notice a big difference with this first times work and subtle differences as we continue. And he agreed 4 wks at the longest).

He was a little more expensive than I had been used to. But he does all the big named show barns in the area, even Don Stewarts in Ocala. It was $150 for her shoes (aluminums) and the trim in the back. Honestly, I was expecting more, and had paid more to the previous farrier (insert shock face here ). He has an apprentice working with him, a younger guy, who is nice too. He pulled the shoes and watched him work, had to grind the shoes a little bit, and also did the trim job on my friends gelding (who impressed them with his size, lol).

All and all, Im very happy so far, and the guy took the time to explain everything and why and had me look at the feet and everything. Really nice nice guy!! And I have a message in with the massage therapist. Farrier agreed shes a tight horse, esp behind, and that the massage therapist will do a good job with her (she recommend the farrier) and that will help as well.

So Ill post pics as soon as I can. With me living in the hotel, Ill have to try to sort through my stuff and find my cable that connects the pics to the computer.

Ok, so after that update, lol Ill address other concerns.

Things have settled down. I got her feet under control, we have the move out of the way until the new house is done, Ive researched and found some places to get mats, and Ive decided on a DJ, photographer, and horse and carriage company. Now to just secure a limo, and honestly, other than the details WITH the vendors, I think I have it under control. I ordered my invites and got the wording figured out, settled on a menu, etc. Whew.

And about that day in the spa... Well for Xmas Randy got The Moms and I an all day "Queen For The Day" spa treatment, that has an OPEN BAR mwhha. We are going to try to go June 23rd. We'll see.

A cool thing at work though - I was the top performer on my team (30+ people) for last quarter! So on the 21st, I get to go to the Suns game (local baseball team) and get to eat a lot of free food and get awards and lots of cool prizes. And since Randy is off, he can come too. And its a regular work day, so I get PAID to go! LOL So thats cool. Then yesterday, they took some top sellers from all different teams and had us in a "SmackDown" thing, where we have 3 hours to get a lot of great sells, free pizza, and lots of prizes. So that was cool.

Boo, glad your hubby is doing ok. And good luck with the Schlessee (sp). I am looking at one too. I need a saddle that has a flatter seat, more forward cut flap, and will fit the mare, and the Schlessee looks like one. Of course an Amerigo or Anky looks like it too, but to find one used that I can AFFORD, HA.

Gotta go get dressed and go to the barn. Ill update with that later this evening....

Oh good grief! The girl who offered 100 for him has an ad up in the local classifieds:

quote:

looking for a place to keep a horse in pullman that isn't too expensive. just pasture for the summer is fine

My barn is only 155 a month, and she says that's too expensive. Hmmm...and she plans to afford upkeep on a horse how...?

See, Inky? That's the point. People who honestly can't afford a horse look for prices at or below $1000 and then try to get them even lower. Price your guy at $2,250, good home only. Then if the good home comes along, you can always go down from $2,250. But it's hard to go up!

And as someone else said, don't put "Rescue" in your verbage! Say, something like, "5 year old, unbroke, but ready to be someone's best friend. If you have the love and the time, this guy is for you!"

Or don't put a price. Put "private treaty." I know a lot of people think "private treaty" means "you can't afford it," but you'll get some kind people who are not-wealthy, but can provide a good home, who are willing to check in and see what's what. I got my purebred Trakehner mare on a "private treaty" ad, and I only paid $1,250 for her! They wanted a loving home who was understanding of the fact that she had a trailering accident that damaged her hocks, and I wanted a broodmare that didn't have genetic lamenesses! (And nothing is further from genetic than a trailering accident!) It has worked out great for all of us (even the mare, who has declined to get pregnant for two years. Actually, I think I'm the one getting ripped off here. LOL)