Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 7

OMG I would write a response Inky but I think Rios response would be much nicer. I cannot believe people like that! I would take Rios post, copy and paste, and not look back. What a YOU KNOW WHAT.

I am looking for a "new" saddle too. I really like the look of the Anky by Pessoa.. the flater seat, more forward flaps.. but the price! Even used! Ew. I hate this. Its about every 1 1/2 yrs I have to get a new saddle. Ugh.

Its my weekend off - YAY. Going to ride all weekend TOO and then I have a lesson on Tuesday! Yay.

quote:

Originally posted by RioTollerAgain:

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

Wow I don't remember the last time I was this pissed off:

Email back from the woman:

quote:

Hello Erin, I have been meaning to get back to you.. Sorry so busy, and my

job takes a lot of attention... At any rate; about your pony. This is a

hard email for me to write, as you looked like such a sweet young lady...

But that pony is at LEAST 7, or 8 from the development of his teeth. He

needs a LOT of work, and is not the most stunning pony... head and

expression have a lot to be desired. On the plus side, he is straight and

strong, good feet. Just a TON of work to make anyone a decent pony.

Especially at his age, it should have been done a long time ago. I suspect

he will buck.. They should have ridden him for you in front of you. I hope

you did not pay a lot for him. Honestly he is about a $75.00 dollar pony. I

know that shocks you but that is all one would have to pay at any horse sale

for his type/quality. So I honestly hope you find a buyer for more $. I am

not trying to be hurtful, just honest from an old horse woman's perspective.

I raise and train quarter horses for use on our ranch. Have been doing this

for many, many years. Have sold a LOT of horses, and been featured in

American Cowboy about 10 years ago for my horses. If you never find a buyer

give me a call. We have lots of acreage, and we put up 425 plus ton of hay

a year, for our cattle operation. He would not go hungry, and I have

several other horses of course for company, although sounds like he needs to

spend a little time alone in a paddock to get used the idea. I could try

and train him and if he just does not make a kid's pony then I would not be

out much more than cost hauling him, and of keeping him for several months.

So there is my response.. I wish you good luck and hope you find a buyer who

will be willing to give you more. I just told you the truth, so hopefully

you will be a little more objective on your next horse buying excursion, and

for sure, take someone who is truly experienced with you. Never get a horse

that old that is not broke by now... but I am sounding awfully bossy... do

not mean to be, just that I see young and/or the inexperienced get hurt a

lot in the horse business. So good luck and thank you for showing him to

me. If you decide to call me before July 15

Dear ....;

Wow! What an incredible amount of information! I am very appreciative. I was making a list of all the descriptions you wrote, and I must say I certainly know more than I did when you came to see Buster!

I gather that you are very busy, so I appreciate you taking the time to gather up your moral fiber and write a letter which was so hard for you to compose. Your concern for sweet, inexperienced people like myself does you credit.

I know you found it painful to be so hurtful, but since you are an old horsewoman ... well, what is it they say? "Age hath its priveleges." So, that gives you the right to be, as you put it, awfully bossy and to be concerned about young and inexperienced horse people being cheated. It must really hurt when the young and inexperienced learn their lessons from someone other than you. What an opportunity missed! Just think, if you had been selling me this pony, you could have gotten a MUCH better deal. Well, no harm done. If you can get the pony for free, you can surely sell it to some other unsuspecting person for a fair chunk of change. There's more than one way to skin a cat ... and there are plenty of cats in the ocean. Fish in the ocean. Whatever.

As for your offer to put yourself out for the sake of Buster, I appreciate your attempt to screw me out of this pony when you raise so many horses yourself that you could not possibly need another one. I do firmly believe that you have been in the horse business a long time ... you have long since learned to snatch any opportunity to rip someone off.

Oh yes, I almost forgot .... congratulations on being in a magazine 10 years ago. It must have been a high point in your life! I hope you made copies and will be kind enough to send me one. After the incredible rudeness and audacity of your last e-mail, I need a good laugh.

PPS to Rio's response:

PPS--You know between the 2 of us, we know everything there is to know about horses...to wit:

You know everything except that you are a complete idiot, and I know that. And a dangerous idiot, to boot. If you think that I'd GIVE you this horse for free, you are also missing a key part of your brain.

Thanks for your interest. If you'd like I happen to know some good doctors who might be able to help you.

Cordially,

Inky

Rio and DQ each of you are way more eloquent than I would have been in a response email [big Grin] (And a LOT more than Tadd LOL) Thanks everyone [Huggy] I've got another person interested for 100.00 who lives in town. We're going to meet up, after the last person I don't care diddly squat about how much he gets, just so someone loves on him much more than that woman! [Roll Eyes]

Inky, I would definitely copy and paste Rio's reply and send it to that woman.

3 Day Eventor, please pm me that web site.

Krazy, the Anky is a lovely saddle. I have a brand new one sitting in my closet right now. Unfortunately I am sending it back, as it doesn't fit my horse. I tried my trainers Medium/wide Albion on Beau today and it looked like a perfect fit. I am definitely going to have a saddle fitter come out and fit him and the saddle to him. But won't be able to do that for a couple more months.

Is it a new saddle or used? I cant afford a new one but trying to find a used one in an 18 or 18 1/2 M is hard. Ugh. I dunno. Right now Im riding in Sarahs old Collegiate Event saddle. Its a TRUE Collegiate, not the Wintec ones of today. Its actually on the wider side of medium and with a very thin fleece, it fits great. So who knows.

I rode her today. I went and got a Myler Wide Barrle Comfort Snaffle in 4 3/4 and it works really good. I put her back in the Fig 8 and she really seems to like that best. I tightened it about 1 1/2". I have to get it pretty snug b/c she like zones out by playing with the bit with her tongue if she can open her mouth and do that. Its not her teeth, its like her little pascifier thing that she does. But she was working SO good. She actually had a bounce in her step. Working so good in fact that she was over tracking and even with bell boots, took her RF shoe off! And it JUST got put on Wednesday! Ugh. I left a message with the farrier. He doesnt get up here until Tues though. But it didnt take ANY hoof with it and she seems fine on it. Shes def so much more comfortable and moving so nice. Going out tomorrow morning for a ride too. Going to try to get Randy up early to take pics but I dont have my cable for my digi cam! [Frown] Maybe he can take pics with his and put them on my comp.

Shantel - glad to hear Layla is doing well, & hopefully the farrier will be able to come out and put that shoe on again soon. Good luck in the saddle search.

I am going to groom for my trainer at a schooling show today, she is taking three horses. Another girl is coming along and I am kind of "teaching her the ropoes" as she might groom for my trainer at a larger recognized show this summmer.

[smiley Wavey]

Shantel, it's a brand new 18 medium tree. I need a medium wide tree for Beau, but the Anky pops up in front on him. I went back to Broken Horn today and the saddle fitter there is going to help me when I am ready. He suggested the Barnsby N Guage. Nice saddle and the tree can be adjusted and the panels flocked to fit the horse. It will be a couple more months before I can do it though cause it's about another 1000.00 and I prefer to pay cash, so need to save up a bit more. I In the mean time I have a wither relief pad to help out.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

I went out for a ride today and I have to say I'm a little upset/disappointed. Well, today was the barn owner's daughter's graduation. It was supposed to be yesterday but got rescheduled. Anyway, I went up later than usual and their family members were there (thus I figured it out). They have one little girl in the family who always seems to be in the way when the horses are around and she is, too. Well, today was no exception. She was following us around everywhere, underfoot for tacking up, etc. then we got to the ring and she was clambering around on the railings, jacking up their dogs, etc. The barn owner tried to get her out of the way, to no avail. I didn't want to start anything because I love my barn and it's owners way too much to start something for one of the handful of times out of the year that she's there. It really wasn't bothering us, but it was hard for both of us to concentrate with everything going on. Anyway we had a really beautiful warm-up. I got an amazing walk, he was bending nicely in circles, and his leg yield was quite nice. I asked for the trot and after about three strides, he started choking something up. What it was is when I ran back to the barn to get my gloves, my mom let my horse graze a minute. I really don't think my horse was acting. Anyway, I try to pull him up out of the trot and he won't stop. I don't think he ran through the bit, I honestly felt he was just trying to get something up. I was able to spin him a little and halt. (Note, horse is NOT heavey) So I got off and made sure my girth wasn't too tight and my bridle was fine, and it was all good. I walked him around and his breathing was fine. Everything seemed normal, so I got back on. Everything at the walk was fine until I went to trot again. After a few strides, it was the same thing (only not nearly as bad). So I decided to just stick to walking. With everything going on I decided not to ride for much longer than that. When I was untacking, I got a huge clump of grass on the bit, so I am imagining that is the culprit. Before I left I walked/trotted in hand, made sure he could drink and breathe easily, and checked his mouth. Once he was turned out, he was trotting and playing around like nothing, so I imagine it was just the grass. Anymore I'm going to make sure he doesn't sneak any before riding.

Sorry that was so long. It was more of a vent. For some reason that worried/disheartened me so much...but, tomorrow is another day, we'll see how it goes.

Dreamin: Little girls love horses but it sounds like this one doesn't know what to do. Knowing that she's going to be underfoot, give her some "jobs" to do. Things like fetching brushes for you when you're grooming. While you're riding, have her count your strides or have her pretend to be the judge at one end of the arena. She'll love it and be occupied. (Little kids are better when you direct their energy.. same as young horses.. keep em busy)

Boocoo: I hope you find your saddle soon. I'm still waiting for the shoer to come out and shoe my horse. I'm going out to look at the Wild Again gelding on the coast next weekend. (Everyone at the farm wanted to watch the Belmont today soo I skipped out on going out there.)

Dreamin' - sounds frustrating, but at least she is not there often!

I rode Alibi today in the Niedersuss...ahhhh, it was like heaven! SUCH a comfy seat, it's unbelieveable. How I survived in a Wintec AP 250 (an older one) I don't know [Wink][big Grin] . Its awesome to finally have a saddle that fits Alibi correctly, as well as Teddy. My trainer has them, as I've mentioned, and they have fit so many horses, so I am hoping this is the last saddle I'll have to buy for awhile.

I am getting excited and nervous for my two upcoming shows. I have a lesson tomorrow, and then hopefully one more this Tuesday, and those are the only lessons I will have before the show on June 16-18th as well as the one that is June 25th. Its my first time at Second Level...yikes [Eek!] ! It will be a bit hard because I leave for Oregon on the 21st, which means I will need to get all my show stuff cleaned from the 16-18th show and pack it in the the horse trailer, and then I return from Oregon on the 24th, the day before the second show (which I am doing Second Level test 4 (!!!) at), but at least I have a braider (happens to be the same person that shods Alibi). I think it will work out, but thats going to be one busy week!

[smiley Wavey]

Wow, luv! Truly commendable that someone your age is doing those tests! Will you be showing Teddy and Alibi, or just Teddy?

Thank you Dreamin' [smile] . This season (summer) I am just showing Teddy, but next summer I would like to focus on Alibi. I would like to show Alibi at Second and Third levels next year, but we'll see what happens.

luv - for some reason I always think of you taking Alibi to the Arabian Youth Nationals for Dressage. It's in Scottsdale every year. A friend of mine gets her mare there in Ladies' Sidesaddle, Hunter, and sometimes Equitation if she's up to it. Their Dressage looks really nice. I think it goes to 4th level for Youth. She always gets a ton of pictures for me and I get to see how nicely they do. The cool thing is your qualifying scores are good for two years I believe. Anyway, sorry about that. Alibi reminds me of Scottsdale, I guess [Wink]

Dreamin' - I've heard of that, and I'm definitely interested in looking further into it.

Today I am riding either Teddy or Alibi in my lesson, as well as a friend's 16.2hh TB gelding (quite a jump from my 14.2hh Arab! [Wink][big Grin] ). He is very sweet, as well as fun to ride.

[smiley Wavey]

My parents just received my admissions letter from Centenary College! It says that they are pleased to tell me that I have been accepted for admission into Centenary College, (though it does say contigent on my final transcripts) I have a lot of health paperwork to fill out apparently. But get this... I didn't even apply for anything regarding financial aid....

I HAVE A 3500 PER SEMESTER SCHOLARSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's more than my WSU Scholarship was!!!!!!!! I am SO SO SO EXCITED.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! [Yay][Yay][Yay] Sorry guys! I just can't believe it.... I was so worried since I took that medical withdrawal, and should have taken one the semester before. But to get an ACAMDEIC SCHOLARSHIP on TOP of that???? OMG [Yay][Yay] It's SO not sinking in!!!

Inky - CONGRATS! That is beyond fantastic! [Yay]

I still haven't gotten a hold of the vet! We've been playing phone tag for ages now. Very aggravating.

And get this: Alibi's back is starting to get sore again. I don't know what to do. She's had the vet out three to four times, I just bought a new saddle that fits (and it is what her old owner rode her in, the same saddle brand, model and size), and she's had SIX chiro appt. in the last ten to eleven months. I have emailed two massage therapists and one charges $120 flat for two horses, so I think my friend and I are arranging for our horses to each get a massge. So it would be $60/each...you guys think thats reasonable? Also, I ride in an Equigel pad. Do you think that this could cause back soreness...like if it's not perfectly even (you know, if one side were to shift, therefore making the pad unbalanced and maybe putting pressure on certain spots?). I have been using Absorbine Patch Therapy as well as rubbing liniments on her sore spots. I am going to try and get some bute from my vet and maybe some more muscle relaxants. Any ideas in the mean time to keep my poor pony comfy are greatly appreciated.

I'm leaving for the show on Friday [shocked] ! Eeek. I don't feel ready for Second Level. It's a HUGE jump from First Level, no doubt about that. I'll try and get lots of pics and let you all know how it goes.

ETA: I had to swing by the local tack shop to get another stock pin (I've lost my two that I had, who knows WHERE they are!), two bucket hooks (another lost item, well itemS really) and a bag of treats...cost me just over $18. The bucket hooks were $2.39/each, in Dover they are $0.89 (on sale, though). These are the times when I wished there was a Dover in my area! The nearest SLT is 45-60 minutes away (though as some of you know, maybe that's a GOOD thing [ROTFL] seeing as I have "a thing" for tack... [big Grin] ).

[smiley Wavey]

[ 06-14-2006, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Sore back can be stifles or hocks or feet as well, not just a "sore back". Like Layla is sore in her back b/c her feet were SO messed up. I had a massage therapist out today and got her a full body deep tissue massage. She had SO many knots and so much tension. But I could literally SEE her neck and back and everything soften. It was great. She gets off until Sunday b/c shes going to be really sore.

I personally dont care for gel pads. They get hot and dont allow the back to cool and breathe. I personally like sheep skin.

I know i don't write to much and the chit chat thread but i'm so excited and have to share. I went to Stephens College in Columbia Mo today to register for my classes in the fall. they gave me 17 hours for my first semester freshman year [Confused]

the dressage class is already full so i am going to be in the advanced hunt seat class which i am excited about but also a little worried because i haven't jumped much in the past three years because my horse is getting older and it makes him sore. It will be fun though

Just had to let someone know.

quote:

Sore back can be stifles or hocks or feet as well, not just a "sore back". Like Layla is sore in her back b/c her feet were SO messed up. I had a massage therapist out today and got her a full body deep tissue massage. She had SO many knots and so much tension. But I could literally SEE her neck and back and everything soften. It was great. She gets off until Sunday b/c shes going to be really sore.

I personally dont care for gel pads. They get hot and dont allow the back to cool and breathe. I personally like sheep skin.

Shantel: I could feel some knots in her back, so I think a massage would be very beneficial. I purchased a really cheap ($15) fake sheepskin half pad from VTO Saddlery, just to see how it worked, though I'm thinking of investigating Mattes half pads or Fleeceworks, but I will have my trainer look at the half pad I currently have and see if it changes the saddle fit at all. We'll see.

Good luck with college Hunter! Are you majoring in equine studies then?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get a hold of that vet luv, phone tags the worst, and it always seems to happen at the worst moments. Seems to be that massage therapy rates range a ton depending on your location. Almost makes me want to take some classes and be certified as one so I have a job on the side [Razz]

Well guys, I sold Buster yesterday! I let him go for 100.00 I'm fine with that though as this girl absolutely adores him already and has grown up working and training with horses. She's already assured me that full force bribery will be in effect, so too bad to that other woman, Buster's dang well going to be spoiled!

Inky , Congrats on your scholarships!! That is too awesome! And congrats on selling Buster. Do you feel weird without a horse? Will you buy one in NJ?

Luvhorses, $60 is reasonable for EMT. And I don't care for the gel pads either. The thinner the pad the better.

I am finally going to bite the bullet and have my horse fitted for a new Albion!! I have tried two on him and they fit like a glove. Wish I could find a used one in his size and mine, but they are scarce!! So we are going new. I need to call and make the fitting appt. tomorrow! [big Grin]

[ 06-15-2006, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Boocoo I feel rather...lost [Crazy] In one way I'm excited because I'm going to be saving a heck of a lot more money without horses, but it's weird not having them anymore [Frown] They both went to wonderful homes though, so I know they're in good hands. No I won't be buying another horse in Jersey....rent's almost double what we pay here! Figures, I'm going to one of the top equine colleges in the nation and I get out of horses [Razz] However, I do have an oppurtunity to ride with a couple different HC members in Jersey and PA so I'll still be able to get my equine fix here and there. Thanks for the congrats Boocoo and luv [big Grin]

Edit: Forgot to add good luck on the saddle fitting! [Duh] I have to admit I'm envious I've always wanted to try an Albion!

[ 06-15-2006, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Inky, if you ever need a riding fix, you can sure come here. I'm right on the PA/NJ boarder (on the PA side, though). Centenary is not far at all. I know a few people around here who went there and made it home easily on the weekends. My appy is always opened to you and I'm sure we could pick out a nice American WB for you to ride [Wink]

Good grief, I'm finding PA/NJ buddies everywhere! Dreamin, so you know, I think we're going to plan out a PA/NJ HC board buddy meet up sometime after we move to NJ... In lieu of our decision to move we've discovered a TON of people who live within an hour or two of each other and never even realized it! We're going to be living in Allamuchy, right next to the border, so it does sound like I'll be pretty close!

Yay! That means I have a very good chance of meeting the First Lady of HorseCity! [Wink] Board buddy trip sounds fun!

I think you'll like the Northeast. It's not so bad.

Draft crosses seem to be respectably big out here. Our farm is interesting, depending on your interests (wow -- that's gotta be the blondest thing I've said today). My barn owner has been around horses forever and breeds draft crosses. I think he's on his third or fourth homebred generation. They're all amazing foals. He has a percheron team for carriage driving, a white shire stallion that rides and drives, a black clydesdale mare, some gypsies and gypsy crosses, and then some draft/paint crosses. They're all amazing. I think I may end up "Dressaging" a few of the crosses. All us boarders have normal sized horses, so I guess things even out. We try to get out and explore "God's Country" every week or so. The trails they've picked are amazing...

-sigh- I'll get off the Home Sweet Home kick. Can't wait 'til you're in my timezone!! =)

[ 06-15-2006, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Dreamin' ]

quote:

Draft crosses seem to be respectably big out here. Our farm is interesting, depending on your interests (wow -- that's gotta be the blondest thing I've said today).

[ROTFL] Got a laugh out of me (and I'm blonde...go figure [big Grin] ).

Inky - thats great you sold Buster, congrats!

Boocoo - Exciting! Albions look really nice. Make sure you get some pics of the handsome Beau in the new saddle [big Grin] .

Still haven't gotten a hold of the vet, so looks like it'll have to wait until after the show, as I will be gone Friday AM through Sunday afternoon/early evening.

[smiley Wavey]

Hahaha, luv! Glad you got a laugh, that's why I left it there! I was going to take it out but just thought "Nah, that's just too priceless..."

Good luck at your show, too! I'll be rootin' for ya [Yay] ! Good luck with your vet, too. Ugh, I have to call mine for an appointment tomorrow. This should be fun...

Inky, sounds like you are really going to enjoy NJ and will have plenty of horses to ride.

Luv, hope the Vet. is coming out soon.

I have an appt. to take Beau to Dominion Saddlery next Wed. the 21st for his saddle fitting appt. I put my trainer's Albion on him and fell in love. Then I borrowed one from my ex-barn lord, where I just moved him from and rode in it and I have to say, even though it's a tad to small for me and doesn't have the high profile that he needs, it was awesome to ride in. Imagine when I get one that fits us both! I am so excited.

Boo--while Tiff & I were hauling up to Moorpark on Sunday I was talking to her about saddles. She's ridden in just about everything out there, which is why she's sold, and gets us all sold, on the Frysos. They come in different sizes, when I mentioned that a friend tried one and it didn't fit, and with all the horses she has in the barn of all sizes and types (WBs, QHs, Arabs & ArabXs, TBs, Morgans, and Friesians), and none of them with any kind of problems, I have a tough time arguing.

She said that Albion and Schleese would be good 2nd choices for her. The rest are in her opinion, well, I will say farther down the list...way farther. Just wanted to pass on the info...your ears may have been burning on Sunday morning!

Inky--BIG congrats on all counts! School, and getting Buster sold...that's wonderful! There's some very pretty country in NJ & PA. I have lots of relatives back there and have been several times.

Life is about as usual. Jag & I had a pretty good ride this morning, and I'm bummed because I won't be able to ride on Saturday (a church thing and a graduation party), and Sunday's his turnout day so he gets the day off.

He's just getting better and better, and I'm getting more & more with him. Hopefully we'll be a team here pretty soon!

DQ, did Tiffany show Jag last weekend? I know you said she is showing him soon.

I can't argue with you on the Fryso's either. My friend has one and it is gorgeous. However, I really need a high cut back head and Fryso's don't make them high enough for Beau's camel hump! [big Grin] Albion does and after putting my trainer's on him and it was perfect, that is the saddle I believe we need. Plus I want him professionally fitted after these last 3 saddle have not fit. We are going to Dominion on Wed. Why don't you play hookie and meet me there! [big Grin]