Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 7

Hey guys. A little update:

Layla is moving so nice with the new kicks. So comfy and total attitude change. Had a massage therapist come out yesterday. She had her work cut out for her. But Layla let her get really deep and I cant WAIT to ride on Sunday and feel the difference. We also did this therapy, similar to the EMS for humans, but it releases the exact same level of electricity that the body makes naturally and just balances and increases blood flow, etc. Ben got a massage and other than a few knots and tight areas, he was good too. Sarah is going to ride Friday or I may ride him Sunday and see how he goes.

Found a nice 96 3H GN alum. trailer for sale about 1 1/2 hrs away. Only $8500 and its in GREAT shape. The Moms seems like she'll spring for it.. I am spoiled... [Roll Eyes] But that way we'll have room for her, Sarah and I to go trail riding together or if we need to evacuate as well.

I would reply but right now, SO TIRED. Ill post replies to everyone tomorrow. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

DQ, did Tiffany show Jag last weekend? I know you said she is showing him soon.

I can't argue with you on the Fryso's either. My friend has one and it is gorgeous. However, I really need a high cut back head and Fryso's don't make them high enough for Beau's camel hump!
[big Grin]
Albion does and after putting my trainer's on him and it was perfect, that is the saddle I believe we need. Plus I want him professionally fitted after these last 3 saddle have not fit. We are going to Dominion on Wed. Why don't you play hookie and meet me there!
[big Grin]

He did show, and Tiff was very happy with how he went, but the judge was a bit hard on him. She gave him a 55 and a 54, with the better test (in my and Tiff's opinion) getting the lower score. This after Tiff even told her at the end of the test that he was a young greenie...didn't cut him any slack at all. She was rather strange, and yelled at one of our amateur riders after she excused herself from the court, getting all flustered when she went off course. Basically chewed her, and told her to memorize her test next time, blah blah blah. Yet another grumpy judge...been getting a few of those lately.

But Jag was good...more consistent, steadier, and considering this is only his 3rd show, pretty darn good.

Is Dominion over there in Burbank? Hey, it's a date!! What time are you there? I work about 15 minutes from LAEC anyways, so just tell me when.

[Jump]

That does sound like quite the farm Dreamin [big Grin] I hope I get a chance to meet you and see it ! I'll keep you updated on a board buddy meeting too [Wink]

Good luck at your show luv!

Thanks DQ, sounds like you and Jag are becoming quite the pair!

Good luck on getting the trailer Shantel, and that's great news about the massage.

Inky - HA!!! Inky, the woman's reply made me laugh!!! She is all that and more. Just too good to be around anyone apparently. Hope you are suitably impressed that she was written up in a magazine 10 years ago. *I* was written up in a two magazines last month and will be again this month for my participation in that clinic back in April with Henk van Bergen. Does that mean *I'm* special too????? Oh goody!!!!! [Jump] I'm so glad you found such a great home for Buster. I think you should still send that response to the other woman.

WOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!! CONGRATS, ON THE ADMISSION, INKY!!!! [Yay]

Luvhorses - Congrats on the saddle - sounds like a great deal!! Hope your kitty comes home. Good luck at the shows!!! Sorry to hear about Alibi's back. Wonder if she needs a shoeing change or something. There has got to be some root cause of all this pain. Poor girl!! Hope you get her sorted out. My massage guy charges $75 per horse so yes, $60 per horse is reasonable. If there are any pressure points anywhere, gel pads will actually AMPLIFY them rather than buffer them. A fleece halfpad is a better choice according to my chiro vet. Good luck on your bump up to Second Level. I'm sure you will do GREAT!!!

Boocoo - Sorry to hear the saddle didn't fit. I hear you on saddle woes. They are just too darned expensive. Good luck with the Albion saddle fitting. A boarder at my barn that I took to the NEDA clinic as my groom offered to sell me her Albion as she is getting a new saddle and needs to sell hers. I think I will try hers out and see how it fits. I really wasn't looking to buy anything right now, but mine is starting to irritate me because now *I* can feel how much it is pushing me out of position.

Dreamin - Very nice saddle at just the right price. Glad to hear it fits. Sorry to hear about the bad ride. It's unsettling when they get to coughing like that. You can't help but wonder why and worry about them. Sounds like you handled the situation really well. I'm sure it was just the grass. Poor Image. Hopefully the next ride will be better.

Rio - NICE, VERY VERY NICE!!!! I nearly laughed myself sick over your proposed letter of response for Inky. Very well worded.

Shantel - Glad to hear Layla is doing so much better since the new shoes!! Good luck with the saddle search. Fingers crossed on that trailer!!

Bugga Moon - Congrats on your schedule at school!! Have fun!!

DQ - Sounds like you and Jag are really building up that partnership!! That's fantastic!!

~Shelly~

DQ, that judge didn't sound like a very happy camper. At least you and Tiff know he did well. I am showing in a schooling show tomorrow in the TEM chapter.

I will be at Dominion at 11 on Wed. Yes it is in the LAEC!! I am hauling Beau down there.

Shelly, I can't say enough about the Albions right now. I would try your friend's for sure. There are a couple on our dressage chapter web site for sale also. PM me if you want the link to the site. A couple of used ones at very good prices and I have seen them both. They are lovely saddles.

I like the idea that not only is she going to fit Beau, she is going to fit me also.

The wedding is October 14th. Less than 4 months. I guess its kind of surreal really!

Tonight I went out to get Layla from her paddock to bring her in to give her the supplements. Usually the 3 are near the gate eating hay, but they werent tonight. There was no moon light so I couldnt see them. I whistled and about 2 mins later, I hear thundering hooves and out appears Layla leading the "herd" (all 3) to the gate at the sound of my whistle! [Angel] Thats twice in 1 week shes come galloping to me. She must really feet good with the new feet and massage!

Congrats on selling Buster and to a good home and Boo, DEF update about the saddle fitting!

Im about to head to bed.. gotta work in the AM! [Frown]

Krazy, how cute of Layla, leading the herd. Can't believe your wedding is getting so close!

I went to a schooling show today and I am fried! But we did good. Will post an update and pics later and an update on the saddle fitting on Wed. [big Grin]

[ 06-18-2006, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Gosh, I haven't posted on here in ages! Well, apart from the odd post here and there, I've hardly been on at all!

I haven't read the entire thread (sorry guys!) so I'm hoping everyone is ok and that everyones training is going well.

As far as an update from me goes, I cant ride for a couple of months... grrrr! I came off my sister's ex-racehorse at an event last month and I've ripped the muscle in my shoulder and the tendon is being pinched by my shoulder... so major ouchie here.

... and I'm officially horseless since I was 9 (wow, 9 years ago... I feel so empty!), so I'm kinda bummed about that, but on the other hand it means I can work harder at college (even if I have finished until september) and have lessons.

I've missed you guys!

Good to see you back Fear Them All. Sorry about your injury. Hope you are feeling better soon. So you sold your horse, eh? Wow! Inky just sold both of hers recently also. It is a weird feeling, I know. I have owned them consistently for 30 years. Once I went a year between horses and that seemed like a looong time! That was a loooong time ago! [big Grin]

I just found out heart wrenching news..

A really good friend of mine just told me her friend, who I ended up getting to know due to her, was killed Friday night. This woman was the sweetest, most giving lady. She was good friends with the woman I was good friends with at the barn. It ended up, this woman had actually looked at my 4 y/o gelding before I bought him. They loved him and loved Layla. The little girls mare looks just like Layla. I JUST saw them on May 13th at the show. I cant believe it. Shes dead. And her daughter was in the car with her.. but shes ok.. banged up but omg.. her mom was with her.. I dont understand the world.. why things like this and so many other things happen.. Just really gets me down. [Frown]

Fear--welcome back. I'm kinda on and off here myself, only because of technical reasons. I find I really do miss it when I'm away... [Razz]

Shantel--I'm so sorry about your friend. There's nothing that anyone can say that can heal the pain and shock, but I find that knowing that there are reasons for everything, that I'm not always privy to, helps alot. I happen to believe that there are no "accidents" in life, and that often even horrible circumstances are used for wonderful, positive outcomes in people around us. Not minimizing the grief or suffering that this lady's family & friends are going through, just trying to offer some hope. [Confused]

Speaking of depressing, I went to a high-school graduation party this weekend, my husband's nephew's KID...the youngest one of 2...geez. Oh it was nice getting together with his family and all, and seeing people I haven't seen in ages, but when I look at nephew's 2 boys and chat with them, I feel so OLD.

Just sorta hit me full on, like. I guess I could re-read what I wrote to Shantel...does this qualify as one of those "horrible circumstances?" Yikes... [surrender]

Well, I'm back from the show!

As you know I attempted Second Level Tests 1 and 2...they didn't go so great, but for my first time at it, as well as Teddy's, it wasn't terrible. The first day I did Second Level Test 1 at 1:05pm. We got a 56.something and 3rd place. Then we did First Level Test 4 and got a 61.something, less than a point away from our needed Qualifying score...we got 5th place for that ride. Then on Sunday I did Second Level Test 2 at 8:56am and we got a 51.something...it was NOT a good ride. Teddy was really distracted, and I was tense and running a bit late, which did not help things at all. Then at 3:24pm we did First Level Test 4 and got a 64.something, so I did get one Qualifying score at First Level, now I need one more - we got 5th place for that ride as well. I will try and get some pics up soon.

Now I am a bit concerned about our show on the 25th of June. I leave THIS Wednesday for Oregon and don't return until late at night on the 24th, too late to go to the barn and bathe or anything, let alone pack up the trailer. I have started packing up and will be doing more laundry today. I won't be able to ride Teddy until the day of the show, so that means NO practice at Second Level Test 4. Teddy needs at least two days off, which would be Monday (today) and Tuesday, and then I leave Wed. so thats not an option. Oh well, not much I can do! But I am going out hopefully today and for sure Tuesday to go through my tests on Alibi, but of course that depends on her how her back is doing.

Shantel - I am terribly sorry to hear about your friend, [Angel] for you, her and her friends and family. Glad to hear Layla is feeling good.

Shelly - We recently switched shoers (Alibi has now, as of June 15th, been shod by the her, the farrier, twice) who is very good so I am hoping this will make a difference in her sore back. I too think there is an underlying issue, because even with continuous chiro work, new saddles, different pads, vet visits, etc. etc. it is still a problem.

Boocoo - can't wait to hear about your schooling show and how the saddle fitting appt. goes. Keep us updated [big Grin] !

Sorry I didn't get to everyone, I am exhausted from the show...I will try and catch up more later.

[smiley Wavey]

Good job, luv! I've been thinking about you! It sounds like all in all, you had a pretty good show! Way to go!

That sort of stinks about your next dilemma. Is there any way you could stick and 2nd 1 & 2 instead of moving up? Maybe that could compensate for the time you won't get to practice.

Well, bad lightning storm here, I better go!! See you all later!

Dreamin' - Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts [smile] .I am going to talk to my trainer about not doing Second 4, but it is probably too late to change tests as I got my ride times today and the show is in 6 days. My trainer wanted me to try and qualify for the USDF Region 6 Championships at First *and* Second Level, but Second Level probably won't happen unless Teddy and I really get it together for the last two shows we have...but, I won't be too disappointed, nor at all surprised if we don't qualify at Second Level, and I am okay with that. We'll see...!

Krazy, very sorry to hear about the friend's friend that was killed! Thoughts and prayers for her family.

Luv, you will be just fine with 2nd level. It's a huge jump and takes time.

We got a 2nd and 3rd at my show the other day. 3rd in T1 and 2nd in T2. He did good, but is still stiff and resistant and will be till I get a new saddle. I have some pics, but haven't posted them yet. Can't wait till Wed.

[Angel] for you friend Shantel

Hollie, good to see you back again on the dressage board finally [big Grin] You didn't tell me you got hurt! Hope it heals quickly. How did your intewview with the school go?

Luv, good job with the show. Might not have been the best one out there, but they're all learning experiences aren't they?

As for my update. It's a not so hot one. You all know we're moving to NJ and we'll be there for three years at the LEAST. Which means we will be very rarely coming to the West Coast because we won't be able to afford to fly out all the time to see family. Well Tadd's family at least. My father always pays for both Tadd and my tickets so that they get a chance to see us once a year, Tadd's mother has us pay for it ourselves. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. But it means we won't be able to see them very often at all because we're going to be scrapping for money.

Since we know we won't be able to afford to see Tadd's family much, we were planning on quitting work a week early so we can go to Arlington and spend a week with his family, and then we'll drive back here and pack up and take off. They've known about this for quite some time.

Tadd just received news last night that his sister Morgan has an everyday type soccer tournament on Wednesday of the week we will be there. It's in Oregon. So his family has decided, rather than spending time with him, they are going to leave WA on Wednesday, and spend the rest of the week in OR for Morgan's soccer tournament, while Tadd and I are in Arlington saying goodbye to people. They will not return until AFTER we leave Arlington. What did his mother say? "Make sure Algernon is inside when you leave" (Their cat)

He's incredibly bummed and frustrated now that his family won't take the time to see him off, when he's taking a week off so that he can see them and be with them before we move across the nation. It's just so...aggravating that Tadd constantly takes time off so he can be with his family, and they just wave it off.

His family is one reason why we're moving to NJ in the first place. The whole NJ thing started up last summer when his mother blew up in his face. (Don't know if you guys remember that or not, here's the ugly original story if you don't: Tadd's Mom ) We will go back to Arlington no matter what at least for a few days. Not necessarily to see his family anymore, but to hike up the mountain to the lake where they spread his father's ashes, so Tadd can say goodbye. Last night was the closest I've seen him to tears since 2004 when Grant died. He's extremely upset about it, and as he commented, "I wish my dad was still alive, he was the only one who would've gave a d*** about it"

I've got him pretty much convinced now that instead of taking that week off of work, we will fly Kirk out to Pullman (his best friend who's helping us with the move) and we'll go to Arlington on a weekend, and take one or two days off of work, and hike up to the spot. He really doesn't care what his mother thinks anymore, this was sort of the last straw among many many straws that his mother pulled.

[ 06-19-2006, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Wow Inky. I know that has really got to hurt Tad. I think you two have made a wise choice in your change of plans. Maybe that's his Mom's way of buffering her pain of Tad leaving? But it's only making it hurt more in the long run. I am really glad you are there for him! He is a lucky man to have you! [Huggy]

[ 06-20-2006, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Ouch Inky. That story hurt me just reading it. Tad doesn't need to be surronded by people he has no support from. This is a big move too! Well, soon I should say welcome to the east coast! Maybe his family doesn't know how to express their feelings about him moving (however little or big) and therefore "shut down" so to speak. Tad is indeed lucky to have you. Its great to see you two are so strong together. Keep us updated. And hugs to both of you too!

Hey Inky

Sorry to read about all the drama from Tadd's family. It sounds like his mother has a lot of hurt and pain that she hasn't let go of and is heaping it at everyone else. In the end, a fresh start somewhere else will be good for Tadd and for you. This kind of think could have eventually come between you. In time, his mother may deal with her pain and learn that Tadd is an adult and that she does care about him.

As for me, I still have my mare Feather. Unfortunately Feather's horrible feet are coming back to haunt me. The shoer was out on Friday. He put front shoes on her and trimmed down some of the flare that was on her right front. Her right front was horribly pigeon toed. The left front was also somewhat toed in. 3 years ago her feet were fine when I broke her. The right did toe in slightly but no biggie. Now.. after 3 years of neglect from the previous owners.. it's a mess. Sooo.. of course with the correction, she's lame. This is going to be a LONG haul project to get her right. I'm not even sure she'll ever be right enough to do more than trail ride once in a while. Major bummer...

On a better note, I did get on my cowhorse baby Lilo last night. I stepped up outside the round pen. I was bored and walking her around with the saddle on. I'm glad she was easy going about the process. She may end up being the easiest horse I've ever started under saddle. I think she'll end up being a really nice reining horse. Just wish my dressage prospect wasn't lame.

Boocoo: let us know how that saddle works out for you. Enquiring minds need to know.

Sorry Erin! I didnt want to bring it up incase you thought I was talking about myself lol. I had to cancel the interview because I had an exam that morning so I hopefully (am still waiting for the letter) have it this friday. Cross your fingers for me!

Thats awful about Tadds family, if it were me, I think I would just disown them. Seriously, I dont mix with people (family or not) that make me feel bad. I dont need it. After all, nobody has the right to upset you or make you fell bad/guilty. Tell him I think his art is amazing, I want his autograph!

Boocoo - Congrats on the show! I hope you looked blingin! Lmao, I love saying that!

Hope everyone is ok!

Krazy - [Angel] for the loss. It's amazing how we all get wound up in our own doings and forget how easily it can all get taken away.

Inky - Hoping you and Tadd find a happy resolution. Families - can't live with them, can't live without them.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Mine started pretty good and sort of went down hill. Yesterday I got told I need to do mandatory overtime at work on Thursday, so I decided to go ride today. Very long story, but I never actually got to do anything with my horse due to a nasty case of rope burn I acquired. Couple layers of skin gone in some places, but my left thumb and index finger just continually burn, especially when exposed directly to water. Cold glasses help a lot. How I'm going to be able to wash a ton of dishes and handle hot food are beyond me [Crazy] .

In other, better news, it's becoming a very real possibility that I may have my first show pretty much ever and Image's first Dressage show coming up. We're looking at August 27th, and if my hauler can't take us or we aren't ready yet, we're looking at September 24th. All I plan on doing is Into A, and I think we can do a very good job of it. What exactly are judges looking for at Intro? What will get you a good score? Very exciting and very hectic idea...I need to pick up some white breeches ( [surrender] ), a black polo, and a show pad in my travels. I've always dreamed about this, I hope it can finally happen.

Have a good evening, everyone!

[ 06-21-2006, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Dreamin' ]

Des, sorry to hear Feather is having feet problems. Lilo sounds promising. Did you know the Amateur Clinician this year's name is Lilo?

Feat Them All, we were most certainly Blinging!!! [big Grin]

I took Beau today to LAEC and had him fit for a saddle. I rode him in an Albion SLK Ultima! It was a dream. I sunk right into it, did not have to ride with a 1/2 pad and Beau was so incredibly forward I was doing a whole lot of 1/2 halting! [big Grin] I barely had to squeeze and off he went trotting up a storm. My Canter departs where much smoother and he just felt so FREE!!! WOW! is all I can say. She had me ride in an 18" which she said was actually too small for me. She said it is because my hip to my knee length is very long, not because I need to loose weight. [Wink] Funny thing is, my trainer has been telling me the same thing! So I ordered a 19" Albion SLK Ultima! [Eek!] It will take 6 to 8 weeks and I am 99% sure my other saddle is sold, so I am going to have to rent a saddle or something! Anyway, I was so amazed at Beau and so was she! She was very impressed with him and wanted to know all his Sires and Dams names and couldn't believe he is a QH. She breeds DWB herself!! Amazing how much difference a saddle really makes.

[ 06-21-2006, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Dreamin, Intro level is fun. I showed Intro all year last year. Well 3x's to be exact. I placed at every show and even got a first in Intro A with a 66% last summer! The judge's want to see your horse move freely forward and execute smooth transitions. They like to see them accepting contact with the bit, not necessarily on the vertical, they prefer slightly in front to behind. So if your horse is not on the vertical just yet, but accepting contact you will be fine. Have fun. That is exciting!

BC - So glad to hear you've found your dream saddle! You're going to be like a kid in a candy shop once you get it! My Dressage saddle fits Image much better than his Western one did, and while it's not 100% perfect, I can feel the difference. Thanks for the show tips! Which brings to my next late-breaking update...

It looks like I am nixing the August 27th show. I just realized my barn owner usually takes some of his drafts up to Syracuse for the week of the The New York State Fair which happens to fall between *drumroll* August 24th and September 4th. Bummer, but then not. Now, with the extra month, we have that much more time to make sure we're positively polished. And now, if I think the extra time has really helped us, we may do A and B. My new back-up date is November 5th, weather permitting. I refuse to lose heart just yet!! [Wink]

Inky--boy, what drama. I call 'em the "fam(n) damilies"...remember though that your friends are the "family" you choose, v. the one you're born into. How sad that Tadd's mother is so into her own grief or whatever that she can't spare some consideration for her son.

The best thing you can do is go as far away as possible...that kind of stuff is toxic, and the more he and you are around it, the tougher it makes things for you as a couple.

Well, I unfortunately missed a golden opportunity today to see a real-live saddle fitting...I was going to meet Boocoo up at LAEC today but forgot about a dr's appointment I had, that took me in the opposite direction and made me late. The saddle sounds dreamy, though...and Beau will probably appreciate it like crazy!

[big Grin]

Had an "ah-HA" ride on the Jagmeister this morning. Get this--I relax, he relaxes into the bit... [Duh] You kinda have to know me to know how profound that is to my little pea brain. All I have to do on my circles is turn my head and watch where I'm going instead of looking between his ears like I have been, and *POOF!* relaxed and steady horsie. [bang Head]

Anyways, it's coming. And as soon as I can I'll get some pics of him, and him and me, posted. Be patient, I'm working on it. [Wink]

Well, kitchen demolishment (is that a word?) is set for mid July. SU & I have been going at it, he's NOT happy about not having a kitchen for some undeterminate period, and I'm not happy having to deal with the workmen all by myself, so it's been real jolly around my homestead for the past few weeks. [Razz]

I will need a serious vacation after this is all overwith, which it just so happens I have planned, a cruise on the Norwegian Sun from Vancouver BC down to LA the last week of September...and I'm getting !&@*#$! from the SU about that, too. See, he hates to fly, is terrifed of it actually, and it's a 3 hour flight from LAX to Vancouver Canada...so I splurge on first-class tickets on a nonstop Alaska Airlines flight, no ff miles or upgrades involved, no sir, it's cash on the barrelhead here. [surrender]

So we'll either be enjoying the rugged Washington/Oregon coastline or in divorce court that week....we'll see how it shakes out. [surrender]

DQ, sounds like you and Jag are coming along real nice. Hope the kitchen moves along real fast. Your vacation cruise sounds awesome. When my saddle comes in, I have to haul Beau back down there for a custom fitting. She will flock it to fit him. You can meet me there then. It will be about 6 weeks! [shocked] Too long, but good things are worth waiting for.

Fear Them All, I thought I was going to buy the SLK, but after riding in the Ultima, I thought, heck, it's only $$ right? [Eek!] Now I might have to go get a job or something! Anyway, I am very impressed with this saddle. I sold my other one, so I found a place that rents saddles by the month. I rented on this a.m. and hopefully it will hold us over till my new one comes in.

Thanks everyone for the support for Tadd, it's much appreciated.

Hollie, Good luck tomorrow! Hope it goes well [big Grin]

Boocoo the saddle sounds amazing, congratulations on finally finding the perfect fit!

Des, sure hope the corrective work on her feet will help her out in the long run. Feet take forever to heal don't they? [Razz] Inky also had a past of bad farrier work, took a year before he was completely back to normal.

DQ good luck on that flight, sounds like you're going to need it! [big Grin] Just secretly slip enough Valium in his food before the flight, so he stays sounds asleep the whole time LOL

Dreamin'--GOOD LUCK! I am hopeful and excited for you. I have never shown, but been to too many events, and I most likely won't show until next year, or a couple years down the road, if that! Good luck and update us! Image is simply a stunning horse, in movement and in looks, from my view. good luck and HAVE FUN!