Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 7

Oh DQ, can't believe you were at a show in that awful heat last weekend. Sounds like Jag did pretty good in spite of trying to leave! He is getting big, eh? Are you showing him at Pomona on the 6th? I'll see you there if you are.

Krazy - I don't know about getting the Ken Taur saddles on trial. I am going to guess that it probably isn't possible just do to the costs of shipping and handling, customs, import fees, taxes, etc. I once priced out the costs of shipping and handling for a pair of breeches from the UK, and it was something like $60+, so I can only imagine how much a saddle would cost. Glad to hear the lessons are coming along so well. Sounds like you and Layla are making great progress together!! LOVE the new barn!! The horses look very happy. That is fantastic that you can ride so late at night. Have you built a ring yet, or are you just riding in the field??

DQ - Woohooo!!! You've graduated to the dressage saddle!! WTG!!! That's progress, girl. I can't believe how much that horse of your's is growing. Aren't you beating him on a regular basis??? What are you doing - dipping him in Miracle Grow??? Shame on you!!! That boy is turning into a giraffe!!! The new show bridle sounds SPECTACULAR!!! So - where are those pics that you promised??? I have to see this new show bridle!!! Glad to hear Pokey's ride card is full. He needs a job to keep him going. Don't want him getting stale. How's that kitchen demolition coming?? You still functioning?? Great scores at the show despite Jag deciding he had had ENOUGH in the heat!! Too funny!! Bet Tiffany won't ever let him get away with that again. Sounds like Jag is turning into quite the little show pro.

Boo - Has that new saddle arrived yet?? Good luck at your show next weekend!!!

Luvhorses - You've had the vets out. You've had the chiro out. You've had the massage out. You've had the farrier out. They haven't found anything wrong. You have a new saddle that fits. So RIDE THAT HORSE!!! There is an old adage that I've found to be very true, "If you ride them like they are lame, they will be lame." You have to get it out of your head that Alibi has "health issues". SHE IS FINE. Now get out there, get on her case and RIDE HER!! Stop cutting her slack because she "has health issues". You are being to nice to her, and she is MAJORLY taking advantage of you, and in turn, you are reading more "health issues" into the situation. I have a sneaking suspicion that if you just get on her and start working her ever lovin' tail off, she will be 100% fine and well behaved. Raz does this to me all the time. If I think he is lame and start going easy on him, he will actually start to head bob and limp. If I put my legs on, sit into him and give him a good old smack with the whip, he smartens right up and the head bob and limp go away. When he is really lame, he is really lame, and there is no mistaking it, so don't worry about that. Just go ride her, and I mean RIDE HER!!!! You have been ***** footing around her for MONTHS now. Enough!!! Alibi has been getting a free ride from you for way, way too long. - - - As for the show pads, I tried showing in a black pad with white trim, but when I look back at the pictures, I found that I really prefer the white pad. The black pad just "breaks up" the clean lines that the white pad offers. Just personal preference, but here are the photos:

-

-

That said - of the two pads, I prefer the black with gold trim as it has a nicer "weave" pattern on it, and I am just a sucker for gold trim!!

Dreamin' - I hear you on barn renovation. They are painting our barn, and before they can paint, guess what they have to do . . . yup, that's right, SCRAPE IT!!! Can you even imagine what a godawful racket scraping an indoor arena makes from the INSIDE?!?!?! Talk about freaking the horses out. Ever seen a whole ring full of a horses try to use the SAME 20m circle at the opposite end of the arena from a scary noise??? Pretty darn funny, let me tell you!! Of course, Razzle could care less which means you have a ring full of freaked out horses trying to crowd themselves onto the 20m circle furthest away from the SCARY SCRAPY NOISE, and Razzle and I get the rest of the EMPTY arena to ourselves. BRILLIANT!!! I wish this could happen everyday!! Course, it was killer on my headache, but that's aside from the point!! HA!! Glad to hear you are getting some riding in during this heat wave. Can't wait for it to start to cool down some.

Lightening - Welcome aboard!!!

Inky - WHERE ARE YOU?? How did the move go?? Are you getting settled in okay?? Haven't you unpacked that computer yet?? Hellllloooo . . . we miss you!!!!

Sorry I haven't been around more lately, but I have been busy riding. The boys are in Virginia visiting their mother for two and a half weeks. Then Jack decided to go to Florida with his buddies for a week. So I have the house TO MYSELF for a week. WOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!! VACATION!!!! I have been riding every single day. Work has been busy as well, so I've been coming in early. About killing myself, and it finally caught up to me yesterday. I ended up calling in sick because I was just feeling totally run down. Between the extra work, extra riding, heat, humidity, allergies, lack of sleep, not much to eat, etc., I was feeling headachy and naseous. I called in sick and slept in. I eventually dragged myself out to the barn just to get my ride in before it got to late.

Julie was there so I got an "extra" lesson in just because I could. We have been making some great progress. Really getting those c/w transitions at long last. Figured out what was missing - collection and strength (on Razzle's part, not mine). Everyone kept telling me I needed to sit harder/deeper and HOLD the half halt longer and MAKE him walk. Well the real problem was he just lacked the strength to really carry himself, step up under and sit into the transition. There was no way he could do a c/w until he had that. Suddenly in the past couple of days I FELT the change in his collected canter and knew without even trying that my c/w transitions would be clean. Sure enough, when I asked, there they were. Nothing hard or strong about them. Just nice and easy. Lesson learned. You can't force something that the horse isn't physically capable of doing yet. Just wish that the people filling in for Julie had known Razzle well enough to be able to see that he didn't have that strength yet, but they did know him, so there was no way to know that.

I had to return Deb's saddle to her as she got in a new lesson horse that needs to be reconditioned, so I'm back to riding in my saddle. I'm undecided about what to do. I like Deb's saddle, but that's a lot of money to spend on something I can't try first if you know what I mean. Julie lowered the stirrups on my saddle by a hole, and I am doing much better with my saddle and not fighting it so much. I tried the Jag that is for sale by the boarder at my barn, but it was too wide for Razzle, so that was a no go. I think I am going to try to borrow Deb's saddle for one more lesson and make up my mind once and for all and just be done with this. Enough wallowing in indecision.

~Shelly~

luv - I think I have to concur with Shelley about Alibi faking you out. Here's my story of how my angelic little appy turned me (as if I wasn't already...) into a neurotic.

Well, you may remember awhile back here when I mentioned a time when I rode and Image started coughing pretty bad and almost went down. Well, I got off to make sure my girth wasn't too tight and to make sure he wasn't really going down. I got right back on when I realized it was all good, but I guess it gave him ideas. The next ride after that one was a muggy June morning. We got to the far end of our ring where he could see across the street to his buddy the shire stud. Naturally, Sirus (stud)calls over to him and he responds with a whinny that just screams "Hey buddy, save me! This nut has me working!! And it's hot!!" After that, I swear I read his mind that he was going to fake me out, and then he gave me two totally bogus coughs in an attempt to get out of work. A good kick in the belly got him over that really fast. So now anytime I hear him cough, I always go a little stir crazy on the inside. [Crazy]

smithereens - Good luck in your saddle search. I sympathize with you. I could say I've easily gone through 10 saddles in the past two years. I currently have two I have to get on eBay and am waiting for one to arrive. A long time ago I think I was jinxed by some saddler or something...it's just not pretty... I desperately want to go school, but because of stall refurbishment and other various projects, hay has ended up in our riding ring all covered tightly. While I'm sure Image would be fine with it, I find riding with a dozen or so round bales stacked around sort of...creepy...I'm nuts like that.

Have a great weekend, everyone! TGIF!!

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

Are you showing him at Pomona on the 6th? I'll see you there if you are.

Yup. At least I sent the entry in anyway. We'll see if he gets in or on the waiting list. The shows tend to fill up pretty fast.

Either way, I'll be there whether Jag's there or not. They need some volunteer help and I'll most likely be putting in some time that way.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

[smiley Wavey]

Smithereens, you sound busy. Good for you getting all that riding. I like the white pad better on Raz also.

DQ, you shouldn't have any problem getting in that show with two arenas. I already got my perfect entry letter back and my friend with the Friesian, just had to scratch due to fetlock injections the other day. So there's two openings right there! [big Grin] Are you riding him, or Tiffany? I did my four hours of volunteering at the Pomona show on July 1st. I worked after I rode my tests! I was in the office for two hours and then ring steward for two hours.

[ 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Krazy, shipping a saddle over from Europe is between $130 and $160. Ouch! That's why I did not go with the Kieffer Orphee that my trainer wanted me to get. We would have had to send wither tracings to have the tree adjusted and then if it still didn't fit him, I would have been out of luck. That's why I elected to go with the Albion, because I was able to have him and myself professionaly fitted and when the saddle comes in, she will flock it to fit him.

So Smithereens, that answers that question. Saddle is currently in production. Will hopefully be here in a couple more weeks. It's only been 5 weeks so far, but feels like forever! [Crazy]

I'm back! We're on a super slow connection though. Man high speed internet really spoils the internet for you when you step back down to dial up [Razz] The trip went well, just longggggg. We had fun visiting my sister and her fiance. Stopped by the Chicago Field Museum. 9 hours drive on Saturday, 12 hours on Sunday, 2 hours to Chicago on Monday, then 14 hours all the way to Jersey on Tuesday [Eek!] Good God I never want to do that again!

Shelly and Dreamin' - you are right, Miss Alibi has been training me, you could say! I also haven't had a lesson on her in AGES, so we had on Sunday, and she was rather naughty - she tried her stupid old 'let's spin and leap out the arena', and after those little tricks she became buddies with the whip [Wink] . I am taking her to a schooling show on August 6th, and we're going to just do 1st 4 and 2nd 1. It will be good to get her out. In the mean time, work, work, work! Her Arab stamina can sure as heck handle it.

Saddles are expensive enough to ship IN the US, but out of it...yikes [Eek!] .

But, I FINALLY SOLD MY SADDLE! Yes, for $975, and it's been used 5 months, so I lost a lot of money, but I sold it, and that's all that matters! Check is being sent tomorrow [big Grin] .

DQ - good luck at the show, and to you too Boocoo. Let us know how it goes!!

Inky - glad to hear the move went well. We've missed you! I hear you on the dial-up...it's what my dad has, but my mom has DSL, it's soooo much faster!

Welcome back Inky. Glad you had a safe, if loooong trip. I know how those go. From Tucson to Nashville in March of 04 with two dogs and two horses, then back to Tucson with two dogs, 1 cat and 1 horse in May of 05. 1700 miles one way. Made the 9 hour drive from Tucson to So. Cal. seem short last Sept.! [Eek!] At least you are safe and sound. How is the house? Hope it is as decent as the pics showed it to be!

[ 07-29-2006, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Pics? What pics? LOL Sorry [big Grin] We went into this place site unseen [Eek!] We ended up lucky though. We love our new place, it's by far the nicest out of the places that we've lived in. We've FINALLY finished setting everything up (except Tadd still has to unpack his clothes) and the internet is finally running a bit smoother. The tennis courts are quite literally right out our front door. Down the road is a huge pond to the left. To the right in a little strip mall with a gas station, pharmacy, fitness center, a couple little stores, and an awesome ice cream place with homemade ice cream. They really make you run the gauntlet to go to the gym, you have to go pass the entrances of an ice cream shoppe and a chocolate candy store in order to get into the gym LOL Wonder who planned that one out...

We've already seen several deer, I guess there's a black bear that cruises on through a couple times a month. Our neighbors have a wild cat living under their back porch that just had a litter of kittens 2-3 weeks ago, I'm looking forward to seeing them venture out. The area is drop dead gorgeous, it's so lush. You don't even know there's anything around you, then boom a small city appears. We've about 8 minutes away from a lake as well, and within 20-40 miles of about 6 ski resorts and several state parks. We're in heaven!

And awesome news. We went job hunting today. I was told by the first four places that they weren't hiring. Then I popped into a little sandwich shop. The woman was hanging up a sign as I walked up to the counter, I figured it was the "Open" sign. But nope! It was a Help Wanted sign. No interview or application, no resumes or cover letters, wham bam I had a job [big Grin] She immediately asked me what days I was available. I start on Friday at 10:30. Whew what a relief!

Now that I've got the internet a little more figured out I can mod again with some decency too [Razz] School starts up in a month, then I've got my sister's wedding to go to in two months. Good grief, time flew by! Hope everyone is doing well!

Glad it's all working out Inky and congrats on the job! I had a job interview myself, this a.m. Trying to get back into the school district so I can support my show habit!

The article on me and Beau came out on the AQHA web site today. It's the Aug. 2006 AQRJ, Next Careers column. I am pleased with it. She did a really nice job. I should have the actual magazine in a few days!

[ 07-31-2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

That's great everything has worked out nicely, Inky, and congrats on getting a job so quickly, that's wonderful!

Boocoo - I can order an Aug. issue of the magazine of the AQHA magazine, right? I'd love to read the article!

[smiley Wavey]

quote:

Originally posted by luvhorses223:

That's great everything has worked out nicely, Inky, and congrats on getting a job so quickly, that's wonderful!

Boocoo - I can order an Aug. issue of the magazine of the AQHA magazine, right? I'd love to read the article!

[smiley Wavey]

Yes, you can go to www.aqha.com and order the Aug. issue. It's the AQHA Racing Journal.

I want to say thank you to everyone who encouraged me to try and take Fessor to school with me. I leave late next week, and he'll be following a week or two later. [smile] Seriously, the hardest part was telling my parents. I was afraid that they would be dissapointed or discourage the decision. Silly me. As soon as they realized that I had thought things through and wasn't expecting lots of riding time, they were fine. Why is it that at thirty something, I still worry about what my parents think?? I love them, and should have trusted them enough to realize that they would support my decision.

Fessor will be living in a large, 40+ acre pasture with several other horses. I will be interested to see if he integrates with the herd or hangs out with the two blind horses that live in the pasture. I plan to lead him around the fence line, to the water, and to the shelters. After that, he'll have to learn to navigate the space on his own.

I spent approximately 45 minutes on the phone today with a woman who is writing an article for the Paint Horse Journal about blindness in horse and how going blind is not the end of life, or even of riding. She's coming out on Friday to take pictures of us too! I am so excited. Fessor is going to be famous. [big Grin] The article will be in the October issue. I'll have to find out if I need to order a copy or if I will receive one as part of the process. I have already promised to find a color photocopier to make a few copies for the family. I will try to let you all know when the article is out.

I have been lurking more than posting lately, and will be on even less for the next few weeks. But I'll check in once in awhile. Take care, my friends.

Tracy

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

I spent approximately 45 minutes on the phone today with a woman who is writing an article for the Paint Horse Journal about blindness in horse and how going blind is not the end of life, or even of riding. She's coming out on Friday to take pictures of us too! I am so excited. Fessor is going to be famous.
[big Grin]
The article will be in the October issue. I'll have to find out if I need to order a copy or if I will receive one as part of the process. I have already promised to find a color photocopier to make a few copies for the family. I will try to let you all know when the article is out.

Glad you get to take Fessor with you.

The editor of he AQHRJ said she would send me several copies of the article she did on Beau and I in this months issue. I have not gotten them yet. Can't wait, although I have seen it on the AQHA web site and printed it out already! So I would imagine you would get a couple of extra copies!

Boo--Aww, your famous now!! I definately need a autographed article with your dashing pictures!

Inky--nice to have you back and WHOA! [Eek!] What a long drive! But welcome to the east coast. And to the heat. Congrats on getting a job so quickly and er....with gusto! (or at least on the shopkeeper's part!)I wish someone would hire me that darn quick! good luck and best wishes for a great year at college (that is where you are now, right?)! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by ilovedobby:

Boo--Aww, your famous now!! I definately need a autographed article with your dashing pictures!

Thanks dobby! It was fun!

Luvhorses - Glad to hear you are getting Alibi back into shape. Sounds like she was getting the upper hand on you. Good luck at your upcoming show with her. This is just what you need. Congrats on selling your saddle at long last!!

Inky - Glad to hear you made it across the country safely. What a long drive!!! The new place sounds really lovely. Congrats on finding a job already!!! That's fantastic!! I can't believe school starts so soon. This summer has flown by.

Boocoo and DQ - Good luck at your shows this weekend!!!

Boocoo - You're famous!! I'm going to have to go check that out!! Congrats!!

Tracy - That is fantastic news!! I'm so glad that you found a place for Fessor and will be able to take him to school with you. Trust me, you're going to need his support over the next three years as much as he needs you!!! The place you found him sounds PERFECT. A couple of blind buddies for him as well. Sounds like they will be able to take great care of him there while you are in class. Oooohhh, you're famous, too!! Well done!! Make sure to keep us posted on how you and Fessor are doing.

~Shelly~

Thanks, Shelly.

Fessor and I had our "photo shoot" today. We started with grooming and portrait type shots, then went out into the arena. Fortunately, the weather broke overnight so it was a bit cooler today. Still humid, and a bit wet from last nights rain, but it was a fairly nice day. Almost all the jumps were in the middle of the arena, but there was one set of standards with a pair of ground poles between them. I didn't try anything too difficult. It's been too hot to ride much, and I wanted Fessor to stay relaxed. So we did a bit of lateral work at the walk and trot, and worked a bit in all three gaits. Then for fun, we cantered over the ground poles a couple times. [smile] Then we put Fessor and Sam out in the turnout. I hoped they would play their rear and "strike" game, but not today. They just grazed, the lazy bums. Ah, well. They're still cute together.

Now, it's back to packing. I keep telling myself that if I get enough done this weekend, I can take Monday off and go to Mystic. We'll see if I can really motivate myself to be done early. It's going ok so far, and all the large details are arranged. Now it's just telling the post office and CT utilities that I'm moving next week. And hopefully the cough I've been suffering all week will go away one of these days...

Tracy

Thanks Smithereens. She did a really nice job on the article. I was very pleased with it.

Had a really good lesson this a.m. Show on Sunday. Tomorrow is beauty parlor day! I finally found a quick easy way to do button braids for Beau's mane for shows. Took me only 20 min. and looks nice. We are looking forward to Sunday!