Sign in to follow this  
Sjw88

what is western dressge?

i really would like to know. casue i am really confused i cna take it at college or english dressage and wanted to know more about it thanks guys.

It's called Cowboy dressage and is done with a western saddle. They incorporate some of the typical dressage movements, but it is a bit different. If you are wanting to study classical dressage, I would stick with the english saddle version.

I've only ever heard of reigning refered to as "western dressage" -- at least that's what people have compared it to. hmmmmm

quote:

Originally posted by lightness:

...He sells videos and a gadget called 'head to tail' to tie the horses head around to teach it to reach under itself...

Ouch...that doesn't sound very pleasant!

quote:

Originally posted by mattiesmymare:

quote:

...He sells videos and a gadget called 'head to tail' to tie the horses head around to teach it to reach under itself...

That's exactly what I thought...

[Roll Eyes] Some people...

I imagine it's like what Clinton Anderson does at the end of his clinic demonstrations. It is a sight to behold. He and his colt "Diaz" move around the arena to music ("Land Downunder")in perfect synchronization. Collected and extended trots and canters, diagonal sidepasses across the entire arena, spins and sliding stops and every other move used in Western Pleasure, Reining and many from English Dressage. It is beautiful!

Stock seat dressage was popularized back in the '60s by trainer Monte Foreman (father of reiner-trainer Gary Foreman). He got it from HIS mentor Chas. O. Williamson, early 20th century horseman, veteran of many disciplines. His book "Breaking & Training the Stock Horse" is (I think) in print again. He devotes a whole chapter to the balanced seat in a stock saddle- not the "chair seat" seen often today.He uses traditional dressage movements to increase horse's flexibility & responsiveness, but with a loose rein. Horses trained with his methods will develop a "classical" frame, much like Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling has done with his "Dancing with Horses". In either book you will see pictures of a beautiful sooft piaffe- with the reins hanging in a loop!!

quote:

Originally posted by R. T.:

quote:

Originally posted by mattiesmymare:

quote:

That's exactly what I thought...

[Roll Eyes]
Some people...

My barn owners daughter is a horse trainer and does western...She does something like that and is ALWAYS telling me to do it to my horse (which I dont and I wont). But this sounds like you tie the head to the tail...I think she ties the head to the sturrip/saddle and its for behavior issues...like discipling them...but I may be wrong. I have never seen her do it before...

I'm guessing Western Dressage would be kind of like what Clinton Anderson does. It is truely beautiful.

As for the tieing the head, I know my sister-in-law(horse trainer-barrels)will tie a horses head to 'teach' the horse to bend and flex. She uses a snaffle and ties the head around to the back of the saddle, usually near the back cinch area. Just tight enough to get a slight bend. Then she gradually tightens the length. Although, I know of some Reining trainers who use the big reining bits, like the big "spoon" bits and crank the horse's head around to get the bend and throw them into their stalls. [Eek!] I believe that it is cruel. [Mad]

[ 06-28-2006, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Rodeo Outlaw ]