Sign in to follow this  
EventingRed

A couple of show questions...

Alright, im going to a schooling show on the 30th and have a few quick questions for ya!!!

First (you would think by now I could have figured this one out lol) I cannot find a way to put my hair up for dressage. I look like a man with it all the way in the helmet, and when it is in a bun it looks weird, so pictures, tips, anything would help!

For a schooling show (especially in this heat!) I figure a polo will do. But, the only polo with my Barns logo on it is navyish blue. I will be in my white breeches, tall black boots, white pad, braided horse etc. I thought maybe the blue would be a good contrast to all the white? (You know white always makes me look huge anyway )

As for braiding I have to use rubber bands. Yes, I know how to yarn braid and all that jazz but Reds mane is extremely thick (even with pulling) So unless someone can give me a thinning trick its rubber bands for him (which mind you, I do quit nicely) My friend braided him (in yarn, but she’s a braiding goddess) at my last event and she didn’t do a lot of braids, and im trying to figure if he would look better with a medium amount, medium sized, or a little less and bigger. He’s a TB mind you, who is long anywhere, so your suggestions on that would be much appreciated [big Grin]

here are some pictures for you guys to see the braids and my hair,

(mind me, I was very nervous)

Hair

and braids (btw, I fixed my noseband so it sits more evenly)

Braids

uber amounts of thanks,

Red

[ 07-24-2006, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: EventingRed ]

ok i would wear normal show attire even in a schooling show! I am very traditional though! you dont want to be the only one w/o show clothes! [Wink] hair i find if you put your hair is a really low pony tail and flip it up under your helmet and put a hairnut over it and that works for me i dont know if it will work for you?

The only reason I am not wearing a jacket is because I just outgrew my old one and am getting my new one....ooo tommorrow maybe? If so I will wear a jacket, but truley, I think my turnout is quit classy for a schooling show.

I just tried the navy shirt w/ my whites and it is a no no, so the white polo won. I also don't know what the weather will be like so that will determine my dress.

Thanks!

[smiley Wavey]

I don't like to wear all my show attire to schooling shows. I think of it like dressing for a clinic. I would do, white show pad, nice full seat breeches (conservative color), polo (tucked in. I would think the navy would look good with the white breeches but I don't know what it looks like on you [big Grin] ), tall boots, velvet helmet, white polos (depending, if its muddy then maybe).

Also if you do not have a good polo shirt, then you could do a button down and tuck it in with a belt. Just an idea!

Your braids look awesome! I love the white bands, and personally I like to braid with rubber bands. It's easier and looks just as nice. The less braids you do the shorter his neck will appear. So if he has a long neck and you want it to look shorter and thicker, small amount. If not then I would go for medium braids.

Your hair looked good but if you don't like it then here are some ideas. Get a at-the-bottom-of-your-neck hairnet. The ones that are on your neck, not under your helmet. You would braid your hair, Fold it then put the hairnet on. Another idea is putting it into a bun with a black scrunchie. Don't worry, we all look like men. You are not alone!!

Good luck! Your horse is really super cute.

[smiley Wavey]

[ 07-24-2006, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: bazooka ]

I completely agree--it is just too hot to wear total show clothes and you know, I'm not whipping out the show coat for schooling shows. I'll generally wear my white breeches, sometimes not, but white breeches, the polo you mentioned and the boots all are quite appropriate. Some people will dress in complete show attire, but that is their preference too. I like your hair in the photo. It looks neat and that is the main thing. Nothing wrong with rubber band braids--I'd do that too for a schooling show as they are much easier to take down.

For the hair, I had my friend french braid my hair one time and then we folded the end up the back of my head and put my helmet on. It worked great.

For attire, I would wear my white FS breeches, black tall boots, and a tucked in polo with black belt and black gloves. I wore a navy blue polo and it looked great but so would black or white.

Rubber bands are find and I like the way the braids are in the pics.

Wear your jacket and look like you are appearing before a judge. I always, always wear my jacket when I am showing. Even at a schooling show with three peope in my class, or in 90 degree weather. You are showing. Have respect for the opportunity to show, have respect for the judge, and most importantly, have respect for yourself. Don't wear a polo to show in. A polo shirt is not even appropriate in a jumper class.

Suck it up and wear your jacket. Act like you belong in the show ring.

You know, I grew up in a very conservative traditional barn. In fact, it probably was one of the (if not the most) winning barns in Nor Cal (trainer trained someone at Rolex two years ago...) You dressed appropriately for EVERYTHING. We were taught to show at a young age, and came decked out in our tall boots, jacket and velvet cap for all of our schooling shows.

That being said, there is such thing as "over the top" If im in my whites, polo, show boots, braided horse, velvet helmet etc. that is appropriate show attire for a schooling show. You are dressed conservatively and are respectful to everyone around you. Im not being disrespectful by not wearing a jacket. I would be if I was unbraided in a pink polo wearing my half chaps with paddock boots, riding in dirty tack on a dirty horse.

That being said there will be no "sucking it up" from me.

Thanks you guys!

see at any schooling dressage or event you will not see a single person not wearing show attire. so i guess it depends where you are. braiding is one thing but clothes. anyways good luck and let us know how it goes! [big Grin]

see i disagree i see pleanty of people just wearing polos breeches and their boots at schooling shows but then again i life in florida so its really hot down here

in fact once there was a girl in a quad from my barn wearing a jacket and they told her to take it off because no one else in her group was wearing one

lol... the schooling shows around here are VERY casual. I've seen people in jeans and T-shirts or even worse, DIRTY breeches. [Eek!] My friend even wears plaid full seat breeches, a plaid saddle pad, and no braids. I think people look best at these shows in clean breeches, a nice polo shirt, and tall boots. Being the only person dressed up can make you look unconfident and tense, or at least thats what the people at my shows look like. I would say that if its just a schooling show then leaving the jacket at home isn't a big deal. As long as you're clean, neat, and presentable the judge will only look at your riding ability and your horse.

If the show bill says coats are optional, then it's up to you. I always take full show attire and a polo to schooling shows. Then I look around and see what everyone is wearing when I get there. I have been to some schooling shows where they are in full show attire and I have been to some where they are in breeches and polos. When in Rome, do as Rome does and in this heat, I think a polo is perfectly acceptable.

quote:

Originally posted by hesacatch:

Wear your jacket and look like you are appearing before a judge. I always,
always
wear my jacket when I am showing. Even at a schooling show with three peope in my class, or in 90 degree weather. You are showing. Have respect for the opportunity to show, have respect for the judge, and most importantly, have respect for yourself. Don't wear a polo to show in. A polo shirt is not even appropriate in a jumper class.

That was rude [Eek!] .

Red- I think any conservative polo would look wonderful (and hunter green would go so nicely with his coat [Wink] ).

For your hair you could french braid it and wrap the braid into a bun.

I like the thicker braids with his neck and I think they would look just as wonderful if you used rubber bands instead of yarn.

I went to a dressage and 2-phase that I didn't even know was schooling, half the people (including me) wore jackets (but it was May, not hot at all) and the other half were in sweatshirts, t-shirts....

Wear what you want and have fun!!!

Thanks everyone

Im wearing a black polo, white breaches, tall boots, black belt, velvet helmet (hair tucked up inside helmet) black gloves. Red will have white dressage pad, clean dressage tack and braids,

I think that will do,

Thank you guys for your opinions [big Grin]

I will try and get some pics,

- [smiley Wavey]

I just had to add, when I went to the jumper show, EVERYONE was in polos. It was a schooling show. I wore a white polo, full seat breeches, white saddlepad, clean tack, tall boots, my horse was bathed (not braided, his mane was too short) and black gloves. How is that not appropriate?

Question...is a colored show shirt appropriate?

I have a lt. green short sleeved show shirt, would that be ok to wear, without a jacket, for a dressage phase @ a schooling show?

I think what you have planned to wear is great.

I am going to a schooling show soon, and will be wearing beige FS breeches, a white polo or my more casual white Kerrits show shirt, a belt, my tall boots, and velvet helmet. I will probably braid my horse, but that is because she is for sale right now, and if there were to be a prospective buyer at the show, I want her looking her best. Otherwise I probably would not braid.

Good luck!

[smiley Wavey]

I'm going to my first schooling show on the 13th!

Seeing as i have huge, ginormous, man feet (haha size 12, i know i know, impressive) with very long legs... the cheapest tall boots i've come across are about 300 dollars. It sounds like everyone feels tall boots are a must for schooling shows?!? I was just going to wait until next year to dish out that money for the recognized ones and wear my paddock boots and very classy ariat half chaps. They cost me a hundred dollars and i think look just as nice or nicer than some tall boots.

ho hum. i'm hoping i won't look like a fool. what do you guys say, are nice ariat half chaps alright?

One of the nice things about showing arabs is you can show with a running braid down the neck, it looks great on scout, I HATE to braid and if I cant get someone to braid my pony, she goes with out , she only shows at schooling shows,

A nice polo is perfectly ok to wear for a schooling show as long as the show bill is not marked formal attire

quote:

Originally posted by hesacatch:

Wear your jacket and look like you are appearing before a judge. I always,
always
wear my jacket when I am showing. Even at a schooling show with three peope in my class, or in 90 degree weather. You are showing. Have respect for the opportunity to show, have respect for the judge, and most importantly, have respect for yourself. Don't wear a polo to show in. A polo shirt is not even appropriate in a jumper class.

I completely disagree.

If it is 90 degrees or above, dont get yourself sick by wearing your jacket. In this heat lately there have been so many warnings to keep yourself hydrated and COMFORTABLE. You want to perform to the best of your ability, therefore you need to be comfortable in the heat. Wear a nice white polo shirt, tucked in. For a schooling show your turnout seems very formal which is a great impression (your braids look wonderful!) so not having a jacket shouldnt be a problem. I usually wear a white polo shirt to schooling shows if the weather is really hot. You only see a few people wandering around passing out in their jackets. It's not worth it. Bring your jacket/stocktie if you want (you dont know what the weather might be like) but definitely have an option if it's hot out [smile]

As for your hair...hmm...try braids maybe put up into a bun?? I dont see what's wrong with a bun...that's what I do. I'm sure it looks fine. And I like how your hair was in that picture - it was really neat [Wink] .

Rubberbands are FINE. Most people dont even braid for schooling shows around here so you're ahead of them with doing that alone [smile]

Good luck!