Sign in to follow this  
FleckenAwesome

Roaching the mane

okay... so i know some of you will recoil in horror at the idea of a roached mane in dressage [Eek!] but...i have an appy with a very very thin mane that likes to lay to the right on the top and to the left on the bottom. i'm also very bad at braiding and very bad at creating a short mane. So my last attempt actaully ended up as a short roach. it almost looks better because he mane is then really even and doesn't look so thin and wispy. But.... i already stand out with my crazy spotted horse, my brown dressage tack, and don't want to be tooooooo abnormal! although i do admit i'm a wierdo! [Crazy]

but anyways, i mostly event and just do schooling dressage shows. So... any thoughts on how bad the roached mane is.. (and it's not roached down so he's bald... sorry! just a short even mohawk i suppose!).

this is the best picture i could find to show it... -

so... any thoughts? or advice on how to fix the problem!

thanks

I don't know if it is appropriate or acceptable in recognized shows but I think it looks great. I am a sucker for roached manes, and your horse looks extremely handsome. In my opinion, you can even go a little bit shorter. His spots are adorable and you two look like a great team.

Thanks! I don't know if there are rules or it's just the thing you "know not to do without being told" [smile] But thanks so much! I think i did actually go a bit shorter the next show we were at as i was trying to just get out a few wispy's and he wiggled! egads! he's be cool with a real mohawk! [smile] okay, just being silly. But thanks!

There's no rule about manes and tails. I think your horse looks great with his roached. It has a neat, clean appearance which is what you want. I personally prefer a nice roached mane to a badly braided one with loose hairs flying everywhere. Besides, if dressage gets anymore like saddlebred showing we will all be showing equitation in equitation with manes roached like they do anyway.LOL

quote:

Originally posted by OnceWasTag:

Your horse's "roached" mane is neat, tidy, flattering and attractive.
[big Grin]
That's all you can ask for!

I agree! He is very cute! Yah eventing appy's!

I am thinking about roaching my horses mane. I will start a diff post so i dont hyjack this one! [Wink]

lol, I keep Gatsby mane roached now too!!

-

LOL, I know Gatsbys mane is alittle long in this one [Razz]

I think your appy looks great with a roached mane!! Its very flattering!!

Awsome picture BTW [smile]

Oh, what a fun idea. Fessor's mane stands up anyway... Hmmmmm. At least then it would look like it is *supposed* to stand up. [smile]

aah the joys of roaching. Promis suffered too

-

Im at pony club camp and one of the main things of what we are doing is teaching braiding the "proper" way and yeah. Braiding a horse with a roached mane [Crazy]

Your horses are cuties. I love the roached mane look. It is very neat looking.

I keep one of my barrel horse's mane roached because his only grows in spots. It's weird. [Crazy] LoL His mane looks different than yall's though. His is shorter and I cut it to like curve I guess. Like the mane is really short at his bridle path area then it gets to the longest length then is get short again at the withers with a little tuff of longer hair. Also, it isn't flat looking. I was taught to cut it to be kind of pointy.

That was extremely hard to explain. LoL. [big Grin] Bare with me. I was just wondering if the way I was doing it was wrong or does it differs with Dressage?

[Confused] Just wondering! [smiley Wavey]

i was wondering about the tuft at the end? what is that for...something to grab onto? not that it matters, cause my horses mane won't ever get that long [smile] i have seen some people make it look longer in the middle like you were describing. i don't know if it differs among disciplines or if it's just based on what looks best with your horse. i bet the longer in the middle makes some horses conformation look better and the straight look makes others look better. sorta like adding or removing numbers of braids to make a long neck look shorter etc. who know's!

i would roach you horses mane even closer to his neck. i roach my pony's mane and i do dressage. you horse can pull off the roached mane. this is the most recent picture of my pony that i have, its from our first hunter/ jumper show 2 weeks ago. usually i keep his mane a little shorter than this.

-

what a cute pony! i love it! it blends so well with his markings [smile] i am thinking about going shorter. i sorta left it long thinking i'd let it grow back out, but to be honest... this is so much easier, and i do think it looks nicer. -

this is him with it a little shorter....looks decent too [smile]

Your horse is gorgeous!! As for the mane issue, everyone at the barn where I board does the "Trojan Horse" mane for showing (we are all too lazy to braid). I love the look of it and it does make for easy care. Unfotuately my daughter's new show pony has a beautiful mane so we are keeping it pulled and will be braiding--ICK!!!! [Razz] Anyway-here is a picture of my daughter and her now retired pony sporting his mohawk.

-

*slowly raises hand* i too much to my mothers despise have kept a roached mane ro two, i think it makes them look so powerful, and shows off the neck, you horse looks so nice roached, id keep it that way.

thanks guys! i love your appy too! the trojan style! that's great. I think i am going to keep it that way. it looks nicer than if i had it pulled or tried to braid it. and... i doubt i'll ever do any recognized dressage shows... just recognized three phases! thanks again for all the help!

Add me to the crowd! I roach him in the summer because he rubs part of it short reaching through the fence to eat.

-

Your appy is very handsome, and the roached mane also gives the illusion of a thicker neck (which my pony needed the first year I had him!)

Appy's are definitely one breed that can pull of a roached mane and look fabulous! You two look great. I wouldn't worry about it. I have been tempted myself because I hate to braid, but I think my trainer would have a heart attack! [Eek!] I had a trainer once that had a big 17.2 hand WB, whose mane she kept roached all the time. He looked very handsome!