Sign in to follow this  
flirtyflamingos

"Big Walk"??

Today, I had my first lesson on my sister's horse (Calvin!) with our trainer, and it was fantastic! He was a doll of course, and only had one big spook, which I must say, was a bit fun and Im very proud of myself for handling it well. (such as not coming off!) He was of course, so comfortable, and really it was an eye-opener of a lesson. We were working on our trot, canter, (which I mainly screwed up [Duh] ) and last but not least, our "big walk", where I dropped contact with the reins down to the buckle and used my legs to keep him in the circle and make his stride big. It took me a while to get it, and his stride did get a lot bigger but I couldn't hold it for very long. Any tips on a) how to get a good big trot without sacrifing my position or anything else B) how to keep it. I figured you guys would know, thanks! [big Grin]

i had some great advice on the 'free walk' or big walk awhile back. i bet if you looked in the archives you could find it. it was titled 'free walk help' or something like that. i got great advice and it really helped!

sounds like you had a great lesson! yay!