Sign in to follow this  
czarsmom

Yikes-Lesson Monday

Ohhhhh dear. Tomorrow night is my first lesson trailering Czar to the indoor arena. That means that we will be able to actually do some work in the trot finally. I am really nervous and excited. I hope I can get him to listen well enough so that we actually can get something out of the experience. Saturday's lesson in my outdoor mud puddle was very underwhelming due to the footing and his complete distaste for walking through mud. It pretty much was a case of "Czar, we are going to walk this way" "NO MOM I DON'T WANNA!" for an hour. "Czar, we are going to utilize the whole ring, not just the middle" "NO-I JUST WANT TO WALK IN A CIRCLE!" You get the picture!? The funny thing is that he actually was in this indoor arena before. It is the site of the infamous one and only show we ever went to before we got into training together. The barn owner where I was boarding him wanted me to put him in the local show in the walk/trot/canter classes because she wanted to ride him in a few classes too. It was a huge disaster. That was time he almost ran the ring jugde over when he asked for the canter. Luckily I wasn't the one riding him at that point. Anyway, it will be interesting for sure. I hope it turns out to be a good lesson-I really need a morale boost right now.

Deep breaths....In with the goood.....ahhhhh out with the bad......ahhhhh!

IMO, just getting him on the trailer and over to the indoor, is positive. The exposure. Even if the lesson is not one of your brightest and most shining lesson....ya got there.

I'd be worried if it were my boy. I'm not too sure he'd do very well with coming off of a trailer and then calming down enough for a lesson.

BUT that is what it is about. Training. Should tonight not be the greatest, then the next time you do it....he'll know exactly what to expect and it should go smoother.

Try not to stress, cause you know what happens then! What about turning him out in the arena for a little bit before you ride? Let him get the ya ya's out first? Sort of like recess before math class!?!?

Good luck, I'll check back later to see how it went!

He did really, really well considering. There were a few moments at the trot where he accepted contact and dropped his head and man did that feel awesome. He is riding on contact pretty consistently in the walk now and this was the first time we really got to do any sustained trotting in the lesson. I am so proud of him for trying for me. Hubby took some video and I am going to try to post a short clip where Czar was having some good moments. I noticed that I seem to sit deeper on my right seat bone. Any advice on how not to be crooked?

Well, isn't that just fantastic news!

Doesn't it just feel awesome! And you have it on video to. I love it when my hubby can video a lesson for me.

yay! that's so great! it makes a huge difference having the right area to ride in [smile]

i am crooked too - but it turns out that according to my chiropracter i'm 12 degrees off and shorter in one leg [smile] actually, i noticed today in my lesson that i was sitting deeper to the right and putting more weight in my right stirrup. having my trainer point it out to me helped me even back up. just try to focus on sitting evenly with both seat bones and sitting up tall. easier said than done! [smile] good luck! can't wait to see the video. how'd you talk your hubby into doing that?! i gotta work on mine [smile]

Hi FleckenAwesome, I saw your lesson post too-Congrats!!!! I put a link to the video in a different post {Czar's Retraining}. It's funny how much joy this sport can bring when you see your horse and yourself improving even if its only in small increments. He even surprised my trainer because he was so calm in the arena. The ride in the trailer didn't even seem to get him tweaked like usual. He actually seemed to be enjoying himself until the end when he got tired and started the head tossing thing. In looking at all the video footage, it seemed like he was about 50-50 with head up and inverted frame. The rest of the time he was dropping his head, relaxing and rounding up underneath me. I think I am rounding my shoulders though if you look because my arms seem to straight and my chest looks like it is concave and that may be blocking his forward movement.

hey, yeah, i saw that thread after i had replied [smile] i need to upload the newer version so i can actually see the videos [smile]

but....50% of goodness is still way better than 10%. and...it seems like once they get to 51% it very quickly goes to 85% [smile] i round my shoulders too. it's a very hard habit to get rid of......

but i think it's great that you guys are having fun. and... i'm a HUGE believer in taking them places. my horse used to be a little bit of a freak when it came to leaving his buddies...even to the point of freakin out on cross country. but now that we've been hauling all over the place all the time....he just sighs when he gets on the trailer and then falls in love with his new friends immediately. but now he's gotten to the point where he doesn't freak out when they leave and he's enjoying cross country and just havnig fun. his confidence has improved soooo much. we go to the horse park to ride by ourselves in their ring, we go ride at friends places, we go elsewhere for lessons, we go trail ride... it's made a huge difference. and he was always a good hauler, but he's perfect now. he even poops right before he gets on [smile] yay! but he just hangs out in the trailer and doesn't get anxious when we stop. i bet you'll start noticing the same thing with your guy the more you get out and about. it's a good thing for their brains [smile]

keep having fun! and if you find a trick for the shoulders let me know [smile]

Thankfully, I am not in trouble for Round Shoulders. But I am in trouble often for my STIFF shoulders. Maybe that is even worse!

My trainer will say, "relax your shoulders" and that means it is time for me to bring my shoulders up to my ears, around and back down to where they are supposed to be.

I wonder, how many things are we "collectively" thinking about and doing all at the same time when we are riding? And that old song comes to mind to..."the head bone is connected to neck bone....."

[shocked]