Sign in to follow this  
shadowsalty

YES!! I FINALLY GOT IT!!!

I am finally found something to make better progress in my riding and training my horse. It is a simple thing called a WALK! lol, yes walking is helping EVERYTHING. Before I would walk like one or two times around the arena each way to loosen my horse up. Not even 5 minutes of walking at the beging of the ride.

Well the other day my mom was out watching me ride. She is a BIG beliver in walking at least 10 minutes for warm up before you do anything else. So I did. I walked about 15 minutes doing circles, flexing in and out, spirals, side pass (at the end of the 15 min). Let me tell you he was like a different horse that day when I picked up the trot! He wasnt quite as down hill as he usually is, his frame was pretty nice, giving to the bit, just like everything!! Then I thought maybe it was just a really good day, you know how they get those one amazing days. Well I dont think it was. I rode again today doing the same thing and I got the same results!! My mom said that we look MUCH better than like a week ago and it feels like AMAZING to me. I know we still have ALOT ALOT of work left, but its a HUGE start!

Sorry just had to share, Im so happy! I wish I could get pics but my mom is so like not a technoligy person, so she wont take any. [Frown] I guess we will have to wait for my event in 2 weeks to see those pics to see how well it actually looks.

So remember people WALK IS THE GREATEST GAIT EVER!!!!!! Sorry just really happy!

[Yay]

While at college our riding professor gave us a lecture on proper warmup, stating that there should be at LEAST 10 mins of walk warmup--what you chose to DO in the walk didn't really matter, as long as you werent asking for a ton of flexion and give right off--you have to give those muscles time to warmup in order to work properly. Straight lines are ideal for the first few minutes of warming up each direction--less strain on "cold" legs that way.

After that lecture...I started walking A LOT more than I used to, and I thought I did a lot more walk-warmup than anyone else...and I could tell the difference. It's great isn't it?

yay for the walk! i do that too, only i actually walk up and down the hill, then trot up and down the hill, then do a few minutes of long and loose trot letting him stretch his back but he must carry himself. then we do about 15 minutes of walk work. spiral ins and outs, shoulder ins, haunches in, etc. it made a HUGE difference is his resistance level. it's much easier to break that resistance at the walk and much easier on him too. also...it reinforces the basics. my trainer said that when you start doing the fun 'tricks' in dressage, alot of times you forget to school the basics so your horse starts to get lazy as you have become lazy. so the walk is great for reinforcing that [smile]

definately worth it! i've also noticed that now my free walk and medium walk aren't such a pain to get good results too [smile]