Sign in to follow this  
At1Dressage

Prices of Dressage Horses

What did you pay for your dressage horse? What level was it at at the time you bought it? And what level is it at now etc? There is a discussion on another board that one has to spend upwards of $300k to get a PSG horse! I can understand that for a racehorse MAYBE but...wow! I need one of those to sell so that I can buy an entire 10 acre farm! [big Grin]

One of my pastimes is to look up the most expensive dressage horses for sale on Equine and Dreamhorse...I think the most I saw was 600k. However all mine I got for under 3k

My gelding would sell for $50,000-$75,000 once he heals from a fractured hock. (And yes that would be his after injury price, before he would have been worth well over $100,000)

My high point winning Training Level horse - 4k (with no steering and no leads, off the track with 6 months of turnout)

My national winning 2nd level horse with phenomenal movement and breeding- 17k because of behavioral issues.

As I am looking around a bit again, Im most 2nd-3rd decent but not spectacular horses around 30k. A couple of PSG potential ones in there, that were not suitable for Adult Ammies, which is fine by me, I'm looking for a deal like that.

Several aquaintances of mine compete (and have won) at the YR and JR championships, and their horses have cost no less than 100k, on average.

A number of times people will inflate the prices. Schooling shows will not be as influential as USDF shows. Certain regions are also more competitive than others. Solid temperment is also a plus. Past injuries will genenerally bring the price down regardless of how they heal because buyers are generally unsure of things like healing etc., and not willing to take that type of risk.

You will often see people say horses are schooling XYZ level "solid", but then they are really showing much lower. Often, this can be exaggerated, so in these cases the prices can be inflated. Remember too, boards can be interesting places where people show both how much and how little they know.

If you are looking for a good place that markets dressage horses to see what typical dressage horses bring in today's market, go to Dressage Daily and look at their marketplace. They have their horses broken down by price range and you will see all types. I would honestly doubt the PSG horse would have brought 300K. There is one confirmed I-1 horse that recently won/placed in several Region 3 Champ classes named Lux who is at 75K. A PSG at that price--300K--would have to be an international competitor. Recently, my friend A- looked at a PSG/I1 horse at 85K and he was really fancy.

In evaluating your own horse, if you are looking at the market, you have to see what the market supports. It is easy to inflate the price to make yourself feel better. When looking at what to insure my young horse at, we will probably look at between 25-35K simply because we paid around 10 for him as a yearling. He is currently 4 and schooling Training/First and will be showing Recognized in the spring. We can get two good appraisals from well-known, respected trainers prior to a show record, so compared to what 3 and 4 year olds both started and unstarted are currently bringing, somewhere in this price range should be easy to justify. I'm not going to sell him, so that is a moot point. This would just be for insurance. It will be easier and probably higher when he has a USDF show record.

The other thing in selling a horse that you have to considered too, it if it will cleanly vet.

People can put whatever price they want on a horse but it doesn't mean they are going to get it. Generally, if you look at the marketplace I referenced you will see the competitive schoolmasters with genuine records at FEI at 60K and up. You would be hard pressed to get that for a horse with no record. Younger horses will be lower of course and in general based on their potential. In general, 25K for started under saddle with potential and movement in this area. Again, what goes into it would be clean prepurchase. Vet exams really play into the price.

There are some pretty high priced horses on this board.

[ 10-25-2006, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: PMJ ]

My 1/2 arab dressage horse is one that I bred from my National Show Horse mare that I paid $3500 and showed class "A" in country english pleasure and the breeding fee was $1500 to a leading national arabian sire who showed park and reining. My horse is half way to his Legion of Honor after only 3 class "A" shows showing training level last fall and two shows in 1st and 2nd level. I would expect with his fantastic temperment and wonderful movement that his price would be $7500 -$10,000 with the going rate of arabian and half-arabian sport horses. Although I say that price, but he isn't for sale!! He's one of the most willing and talented horses I've worked with. I attached some pictures so you can see the horse I'm talking about.

-

-

-

My event horse I bought for $11,500. Green, shown once @ unrec. just turned 5 when I bought him. I just sold him last year for 18k. Solid winning First level horse with 2nd level movements. He was winning/placing in top 2 at the BN and N levels w/ dressage scores 30 and under.

Jade 14.1hh pony-bought from a horse dealer for...about $900. Brought her w/ my trainer Solid 2nd level with wins @ rec. shows, competed 3rd level with placings in top 3 all with good scores. Well known trainers I've cliniced/trained with thought she had FEI potential. We priced her @ 25k.

My first horse was an 4 yr old TB who was race trained, but never actually raced. I bought him for $1,500 without riding him and within a year I restarted him and trained him through 2nd level (Showed 1st & 2nd level with scores in the low-mid 60s at recognized shows) At his first and only rated show, I had two people ask if he was for sale (I've ridden many sale horses for other people) and make offers up to $10,000. He could be quite hot though, and relaxation just really was not his thing. We switched to hunters the following year and showed to 2'6" and schooled to 3'6". He had found his passion. Unfortunately, I graduated college and started my career and wasn't able to spend enough time with him. He was a HOT TB and needed to be ridden 6+ days a week and I was having a hard time getting out to the barn 3 days/week. So, he pretty well lost his head. Whenever I came out all he wanted to do was run. It wasn't an enjoyable situation for either of us. I put him on the market for $4,000 as an almost 7 year old because of his current state of mind and after 7 people coming and looking (2 getting dumped) I sold him for $2,000 to a young girl working with a well-known local trainer. It's been almost a year now, but after a rocky start they're doing great. He's almost back to his awesome self and she tells me about his progress all the time.

So, the $10,000+ horse was sold for $2,000 because I didn't have the time to work him and he wasn't a horse just anyone could ride. There are deals to be found if you're willing to take on a few problems.

Oh yeah, and all of my current horses were purchased for under $2,000. Actually, two of them were under $1,000. I've had them for 8-10 months, started each of them under saddle, and have already had offers on 2 of them for $5,000+ each. When Reggie starts jumping next fall, I'll be looking to sell Promise for $10,000+ primarily because anyone can ride him and he's a very pretty, fancy boy. I took him to a dressage schooling show with a "l" judge 3 months after I bought him and got a 68% at intro. He's since started showing local hunters up to 2' and is always in the ribbons.

quote:

Originally posted by MightySinsation:

quote:

Originally posted by OnceWasTag:

Free
[Wink]

CK WAS FREE?!

Why?

Friend. She needed to get rid of him, and she knew that he'd have a home for life with me and that he and I got along really well. So I got him for free.

Also, he's very neurotic. [Wink]

We bought my horse for 12000, originally at 15000. I have had her for a year. We could probably sell her for about the same, maybe a little more. If she wasnt so territorial, and inexperienced (she is seven and this was her first year of showing) and if she wasnt so weird about the contact (b/c a trainer forced her into a grand prix frame at age 3 and of course we didnt find this out until after we bought her so we had to basically start the whole contact thing over so she isnt as far along as she should be). But rightnow she should have been showing first level and schooling some second, so she would have been around 20,000+ right now had none of that happened. But i am sure eventually she will be worth that much but she is here to stay with me. No one else would be able to deal with her the correct way excpet my trainer. On a side note- i know a girl who bought her horse (who was on his way to a slaughterhouse) for $500 and know he is solid PSG, won at Junior Champs 2 years ago at PSG. So, good deals are out there, you just have to search

I'm sitting here with my mouth agape reading the prices of these horses. I never paid that much for a car much less a horse. It's insane! [shocked]

Last weekend I got an Arabian that has been dressage trained for $300. What level he is at, I don't know yet. I haven't been able to ride him for very long yet because the weather has been bad. I intend to find out though.

I also have a Racking Quarter mare, she's not a dressage horse but, I paid $500 for her.

Whatever they are worth doesn't really matter to me anyway. They're with me for life no matter what they are worth. [Angel]

We bought Ocean from the Netherlands (pregnant too) from a jumping barn. She was originally intened to be a jumper mare, but that didn't work. She was basically a first level master and jumping 4ft courses (showing and winning) so that counted too. She was $30,000 (that didn't include importation though... heh. She was the JR/YR champ at training level with me, we were invited to regionals. And next year I'm entering is some jumper stuff. She actually was priced low (she had been a broodmare and she was preggo so she was pretty much out of shape lol). She's *going* to be my horse YR finals [Wink]

I'm not wanting to hyjack at all here, but I am curious about something.......

What is the average annual cost of getting or keeping your dressage going for the year?

Training, showing, travel expenses, vet etc. Depends on the horse, depends on the level I imagine. So if you buy a horse at FEI level? Now what are you in for? Just curious.

we bought my event pony fo 5000, at four, he was going bn. now he is 9 and still eventing, but my trainer (who doubles as my mom) has schooled him through 2nd, and i am competeing him first. i have gotten offers of 15,000 for him. i can't sell him though i wuv him

I know of a several ppl that got horses PSG horses for under 5000

it is not about pedigree or conformation all the time (though it is helpful lol )

it is about HEART! so don't give up there are lots of FINE horses out there that are worth ALot more than ppl sell them for

My horse is worth ALOT of money after we only paid like &4000 for him we called the original breeder and they said he is worth 65,000!!! [Eek!] and that he should have never been gelded !! she was pissed( that is the price of him after being gelded so he would have been worth more) so sent us all the information on him and his relatives and and a note : take care of that 65,000 dollar horse [big Grin] i was speechless.... she even asked if i wanted to sell him to her( after telling me what he is worth)...i said no... i can't part with my baby!

i actually found a horse for 1000 was a dutch warmblood and great pedigree and movement..the only thig wrong with him was that the owner was clueless and didn't know how to handle him ...so she sold him for 1000

too bad it wasn't too me [Frown] i know the person who bought him...he is absolutly beautiful and is already 3rd level and moving up!

My trainer got her gelding for a little over $70k. He was a steal though. This gelding is seriously international quality. He was confirmed PSG and was schooling I1. She got him, and in their first show, qualified for her bronze. And in 2 shows had her qualified for regionals. She then had him for about 8 months and went to Devon and showed 4th level. There were like 35 people in her class. She got 7th. Against like Debbie McDonald, etc. And she got him here in the States, but went to Holland trying to find what she wanted and couldnt.

Price is determed in either money or time. If you want highly trained or proven bloodline of course you will pay more. And soundness and vices will affect those prices. With today's dressage (show) horses, gaits are very important, so breeding is much more important at upper levels than it used to be. Many people don't want to or don't have the knowledge to train their own horses so they are willing to pay more for a 'finished' horse or a trainer to put the time and work that is necessary in the horse to get him there. How much is too much? It is all decided by what people will pay.