Sign in to follow this  
BisQuickDoc

Dressage Chit-Chat Thread Volume 12

I'm ok. We are a bit past the half way point in the first semester. The most recent writing assignment is in (ontime!) and the next one will be assigned tomorrow. That paper will be due just before Thanksgiving. I actually LIKE that timing. It means I will be able to relax over the long weekend before hitting the prime finals study time.

Fessor was naughty last night. It was our third ride in the past two months. And the little snot was having fun entertaining himself at my expense.

Me: Please let me touch your mouth.

Fess: NO!

Me: Walk forward

Fess: I'd rather jig and jog

Me: Walk forward anyway.

Fess: sulks and throws his haunches to the inside

Me: Now, walk forward AND straight

Fess: jigs and jogs

Me: No, we're walking right now. Forward and straight please

Fess: rears

Me: sighs No, dammit! Now FORWARD. And give me some haunches in, and shoulders in, and haunches in

Fess: OMG. That horse trotted past us. Scary!

Me: Quit being such a goofball. Now focus and walk like a big boy.

Fess: Grumpy pony

Me: Good boy. Would you like to trot a bit?

Fess: trots sound but on a short choppey step

Me: Let's walk again

Fess: Hmmm?? Can't hear anything

Me: HALT Focus, dammit.

Fess: Oh, ok. Keep your shirt on, lady...

Me: Walk

Fess: walks, only slightly wiggly

Me: Please give me your head.

Fess: Nope, I don't like contact today. I will stiffen my jaw and neck and pretend to be a plank of wood.

Me: It's a darn plastic bit. It is *your* bit. It CAN'T hurt for me to touch your mouth. Please pretend to give a bit.

Fess: Maybe I'll consider giving a millimeter or two...

Me: Thanks. Let's call it a night before we frustrate eachother even more...

LOL. Our planned twenty minute ride turned out to be closer to forty minutes long. Oh well, on Monday night he was fantastic. But I can see we need to go back to the very basics. Like how to GIVE to the bit and accept contact and walk in straight lines...

Tracy

BQD....you all settled in?

Tracey.....awwww poor Fess! Maybe cause he's been outta work for so long. At any rate, good to hear that he is feeling better and you are back into work.

I'm having a stumbling block right now. We didn't board out for the winter this year. As much as I loved the training and so did Elvis. It is the LACK of turnout that many places offer that keeps me at home. Not having much sucess finding an indoor within walking distance to home so that my trainer can come and work us. Starting to think that we are just going to be a pleasure team and that is how it is going to be. Not that we were ever going to be anything famous I know, but it sure is nice to have knowledgable people around to help you in your journey. Meh, so feeling sort of alone I guess....well, better dust myself off and work with what I have, and that is ok to!

How's everybody else? Isn't this the American Thanksgiving Weekend? [Embarrassed]

TacyA, at least he have a little at the end. It was just an off day [smile]

Glad you get a weekend to relax! I sure don't lol.

Bend-

sorry your having such bad luck not finding and indoor, but don’t let that stop you! Its hard when you stumble, but just get on up and keep on going.

I settled in just fine, the barn here on campus is AMAZING I just love it. The people are really nice, the guy who runs the barn will do just about anything for you. The vet has already been out to see Gatsby, he acted had a very small abscess in his eye. But was easily taken care of with medicines and drops. The vet is amazing. Other than that things are jam-up.

I'm actually not all that upset by last night's ride. We have two issues. One, Fessor is BORED. His turnout time is very limited right now (mud and fencing issues). And we are both rusty after a couple months off. He wasn't horrible, just naughty. I was laughing during part of the antics. OK, not when he reared... But other than that, he was just acting a bit spoiled. As we get him more work that will settle down. I also need to check out all the paddocks and see if we can find somewhere for limited turnout. Right now the only options are the indoor arena if no one is using it or the small roundpen outside that gets muddy quickly.

Hey guys! Long time no talk! Im back from the Bahamas, a married woman. The wedding was PERFECT. Everything went like glass! I couldnt have asked for more. It exceeded all expectations. I was a nervous wreck waiting to go down the aisle. It was so beautiful and the feeling is unexplainable. I cant wait to see the pro pics and the video. I have a few pics from the Bahamas.

On the horsey front, the ponies are wonderful, fat, and FLUFFY! I cannot believe this weather. It was 80s-90s in the Bahamas, and we come home to high of 60 and low of 37! And for October in Florida, this is COLD. So the ponies have been going out in their coolers as the wind is whipping. I rode yesterday, first time in a saddle in almost a month, she was very good. Tried working on the canter-to-trot transitions, as she likes to get quick and tense down into them. In the end, she was great.

Farrier is coming out today to do their feets. I am so impressed with this guy, every time he works on her. Her LF is her "special" foot. It pancakes out into like this oval shape and has very low heels. He ended up almost beveling her foot, but he took his nippers and cut off the edge of the hoof all the way around, so instead of being a straight line down the angle of the hoof to the ground, the line stopped like 1/4" before the end, and went 90 degrees straight down. What this has done is forced the foot to grow DOWN and not out. It is amazing, and in one trim. [big Grin]

Tracy, Im glad to hear you are up to rding Fessor now and his feet problems are under control!

Heather, I didnt know you were moving but glad it went well and you love the new place.

Bend, Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November. So the 23rd this year. I cant wait! Sorry you cant find a barn.

OMG i forgot all about you getting married! Thats terrfic! I want pics ASAP [Razz]

Glad your horses are well, Gatsby is very fuzzy too, but hes no getting blaanketed down here in Georgia, its nothing like the PA weather we have, he loves it, lol.

Its nice to hear you found a wonderful farrier, it makes all the difference in the world!!

BQD: glad to hear from you! Thats wonderful the campus is so nice, probably makes settling in a bit easier.

Tracy: even if it wasn't the best ride on Fess, it probably feels great to be back in the saddle. I am sure with some more rides and getting back into the swing of things, Fess will be right on track.

Bend: sorry to hear about your lack of riding right now. I can symphathize in the turnout area though. Turnout is a MUST for my Arabian mare, Alibi. She's outside 24/7 with her buddy, and they have a large run-in shed to get out of the elements (and shes blanketed, so it works out well). There are many barns in my area it seems, at least the "nice" dressage barns, that either offer no turnout or very limited, like a few hours a day. I feel very lucky that my horses are turned out in the day and brought in at night, or out all the time. Their moods, and therefore mine, are always much better! Of course, this isn't to say that being in a stall all or most of the time does not work for some people and horses, just doesn't for me [smile]

Krazy: your wedding sounds *amazing*! Can't wait for pictures [Wink][big Grin] . Your trip sounds pretty darn nice too. Glad to hear the horses are well. We've been having some pretty chilly nights too, so all the horses are cozy and warm in their blankets.

Well I have been sick since Friday with a virus/sinus infection. I had to go to the Doctor on Monday, and came home with two different inhalers, antibiotics and a nasal saline. I have been wheezing REALLY bad, the Doctor was rather surprised. I am feeling much better already, but not 100%. Now I just have three days of homework to makeup...not too fun in highschool. Oh well, I just want to get better so I can be back on track and riding the ponies!

Congrats Krazy on the wedding. Looking forward to pictures.

Congrats BQD on your move. Glad you are enjoying everything.

Tracy, sounds like Fessor is feeling pretty good, eh? [Razz]

We have moved also. Moved to central Texas. Love, love, love it here. Lots of dressage. We were looking into buying a house on land, but couldn't find much, so bought a nice house close to the barn where Beau is. Then we will buy land and build later on.

Beau is doing great. He is at a great barn. Only 8 horses, covered arena with mirrors and I am the lowest level rider there!!! They are 3rd level to GP there!!! [Eek!]

I am watching the trainer teach tonight and hope to start lessons next week.

Luv - sorry your sick [Frown] I hope you feel better soon!

Boo- glad you love your new barn, it sounds really nice!! There are a lot of dressage trainers here in Georgia too, I cant wait to start getting lessons!

Let us know what you think of the lesson!

BQD - Glad to hear the move went well and that you and Gatsby are doing so well.

Tracy - Sounds like you are hitting your groove with First Year law school. Glad to hear that you are finally back in the saddle again, even if Fess was rather a snot. You'll get him back with the program in no time flat.

Bend - Sorry to hear about the troubles finding a barn. I know how hard it can be to find just the right fit for you and your horse. Keep on looking. You never know when the perfect place is hiding just around the corner. In the meantime, do what you can on your own.

Krazy - So glad to hear the wedding and honeymoon went off so perfectly. With all your hard work planning, I would expect nothing less. Can't wait to see the wedding pictures. Sounds like you have yourself a fabulous farrier. Hang onto that one. They are hard to come by!!

Luv - Sorry to hear you have been so ill recently. Sounds like a nasty infection. Hope you are back on your feet and riding soon.

Boo - Glad to hear the move went well. Still can't believe you up and moved SOOO FAST!!!!! What a shame that you couldn't find a house with land, BUT that barn sounds PERFECT for you and Beau. Sounds a lot like the place I am at now. Most of the riders are 2nd/3rd through GP. When I first moved there, I was a Training Level rider with a Western horse just starting over. I have finally made my way up into the ranks up the "lower level upper level" riders at the barn (if that makes sense, and a new group of Training Level riders have moved in. It is odd to be the person that people come to with questions rather than being the person asking the questions for a change!!! One of the BEST things about this kind of environment - MOTIVATION!!!! It has DRIVEN me to work harder, try harder, want more, be better. It just gives me that little added incentive that I lacked when I boarded at barns where I was among the better riders at the barn. And being in an all dressage environment - I just soak it in and THRIVE on it. I hope it inspires you and Beau as much as it has Raz and me. Remember - don't be intimidated. You have a gorgeous horse. He is going wonderfully (which is all due to YOUR hard work). And you will fit into this new barn perfectly.

As for Raz and me - the clinic was wonderful. I really enjoy working with Ann Guptill. She is a terrific clinician. She works on a lot of different movements, but still will get after position issues if you stray from perfect which is just what I need and like. The show went off without a hitch as well. It was a really tiny schooling show to start off with, then at least half the class list scratched. ?? I ended up in both of my classes alone - stiff competition!! HA!! I scratched from 1-4 because Gabrielle did T-4 with Raz, and three tests in one day is just too much, especially when two of the tests are 1-4 and 2-1. Gabrielle was also alone in her class, so she got 1st with a score of 57.65% which was an improvement over her last outing so we were very pleased with that performance. I did 2-1 for the first time. I was very happy with our performance our first time out at 2nd Level. I was aiming for mid-50's and got 1st (of course) with a score of 56.05%. I was thrilled. We had a couple of small mistakes, but overall, it was a nice ride. The judge said, "it almost worked" and I just need to fine tune some minor details to really start scoring high at 2nd. I do have a few pictures from the show, but I am still waiting on the majority of them to be developed, so I will wait to post them until I have all of them.

~Shelly~

Boocoo - that was a fast move! Congratulations!! The barn sounds nice, even though it probably seems a tad intimidating, you will probably be able to learn a lot and improve, and I'm sure you'll do so quickly. Like Shelly said, you have a nice horse, thanks to you! Can't wait for pictures [big Grin]

BQD - thanks [smile] . I am going back to school tomorrow, but it's going to be a long day with lots of make up work! I suspect I'll live [Wink]

Shelly - sounds like a great clinic. I really think it's helpful to ride with other instructors once in awhile. A fresh perspective combined with some new techniques can be so beneficial. My last clinic (2nd one I've had with the clinician) was a real eye-opener, and the tools I went home with really improved my riding, and therefore how Teddy was undersaddle. Also, congrats on your Second Level debut! I actually got a 56.something% on Teddy my first try at 2-1 [Razz] Things will just get better from there! Now we want the pictures [smile]

Geez, Give me a chance to catch up, will you?

TracyA- [ROTFL] Great narrative. If it makes me feel better, I can't even walk in a straight line...out of a saddle.

Bend-- [Huggy] Its hard out there for a boarder! Good luck finding a barn. Perhaps you will have to trade in less time with your trainer for a better barn or vice versa....

BisQuickDoc--glad things are settling in well! It is nice to feel safe and secure at a new barn.

KrazyTBMare--I just KNEW there was a reason I was missing your lovely face (and lovely pictures) around here! [big Grin] Congrats! I wish you the best of all marriages. Nice choice, I wish I was in the Bahamas right now. Brr. Glad to know the ponies are nice and furry, even down in Florida, and doing well too boot! Good Farriers are hard to come by, hold on tight.

luvhorses--No fun! Glad you are feeling better though. In my highschool, making up homework is near impossible. I'm sending mental waves of hugs to you right now.

Boocoo-Whoa! Big move and big opportunity! Way Intimidating for me though, because I'm the complete beginner :] But ignore me, it sounds fantastic. You know, I'm quite small. I can easily live in your tack trunk, no problemos, so.. [big Grin] ? Hehe, I wish. Can't wait for updates! How is the weather by the way?

Shelly--Nice rides! Glad its all good and fun, and the clinic sounds really productive.

BisQuick-glad to hear that your boy and yourself have settled into school! What's your major?

Bend-I hope that you find a barn. Don't give up, girl.

TracyA-sounds like fessor was being a mischief maker, have you had a better ride since then?

Krazy-Congrats! Hope the Bahamas was wonderful. I was there last summer and enjoyed it. Did you get to do any boat trips or snorkeling?

luv-I hope you feel better. No fun being sick.

Boocoo-How was the watching the lessons w/ this new trainer?

Smithereens-Sounds like you had a good lesson. Congrats on your outting at 2nd level and that you were pleased w/ your score! [smile] That's great! Every time out you'll see an improvement! I certainly did the more I rode 2nd level.

So I went home to my dressage trainer this past weekend and had a blast in the dressage lesson. She let me ride her 4th/PSG horse!

I was able to work on flying changes and the canter halfpass. My flying changes in the beginning were a bit iffy. George is a difficult ride, but he was quite the gentleman most of the time. Our first changes, I had the timing off a bit, giving us late changes behind. But my other problem was that I didn't have him collected enough. Once I achieved this our changes were clean. I was quite excited b/c this was really my first time really working w/ changes and the accuracy of the changes. The canter halfpasses were a bit hairy. I was a bit discombulated, but this was my first time riding them. As I rode them a bit more, I felt more comfortable, but they still weren't fabulous. It was pretty neat how the slightest shift of my sit can make him come more underneath and collect more. He is definately a different ride than my Jade pony considering George is a massive 17.1 Hanoverian. It was soo much fun! I'm hoping that she'll let me ride him again when I go back up.

Well, let's see.

I took Rascal to a show this weekend, the summary with pics is in the thread titled "show results" but the quick rundown was that he was wonderful, and got A 75.4 and a 72-something% for the first time he's done Training 3, and the second time he's done T4. So that was fun.

Dropped Riley off at the vets for him to get a bone scan yesterday. I'm pretty pissed today because they haven't called with the results and I'm worried. We pick him up tomorrow, he had to wait to expel all the radioactive material they put into him. Scary stuff. And that's about it.

Oh, I'm going to London next week. That's not horsey related, except that I hope to hang out with a guy friend I met a PC nationals a couple years back. We still keep intouch regularly, he's and amazing polocrosse player. So, that makes me happy. I've always wanted to go.

I think I might go read a **** Francis novel now.

Edit: Poor Mr. Francis, I guess they consider his first name to be a curse word.

[ 10-25-2006, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Kiss The Sky ]

'Ello, everyone!

I only have a few minutes, but I wanted to pop in on the new thread.

Just a quick note to everyone. Congrats to all of those who have moved recently for staying in one piece while doing so! Also, congrats to those wonderful test scores and riding accomplishments I see floating around! Very well done, gang!

The good news on my end is that I purchased the CD I plan on splicing together a freestyle for earlier in the week. I got so frustrated with the splicing (something I knew nothing about until I decided to get gung-ho into this) that I gave up the idea. And then, I puttered around for practice and, totally accidentally, I have my number made! Love those pleasant surprises . . .

Anyway, I better get layered up if I plan on riding this evening. Thanks for all the suggestions I received on my other thread! Thirty-eight degree weather, here I come!

3Day, we went offsite to the Straw Market down town and shopped. We also hit Atlantis and the shopping areas over there. Our excursions were at Stuart Coves. We did the Bubble Subs, where you are in a one man submarine. It was AWESOME.

I hate to say it, but Im getting sick! I dont know if it was b/c I was in 90 degree weather and came back to 37 and now its 70s again or if it was b/c I was away from the barn and hay and my allergies are messing up or WHAT. But I am so congested and my throat is scratchy and ew. I feel like crap. Ive been taking medicine, but I need to go to the store and get some Dayquil and Nyquil.

I rode again last night with Sarah. We rode around the house, instead of in the horses pasture. Layla was SOOOOOOOO good. I mean, perfect. I started out riding no hands, tied up the reins, and just let her go around. Then once she was loosened up, I picked up the reins and did some posting trot with light contact. Then I started sitting and really focused on my legs, as I tend to ride too much from my seat and hands, and not use my legs. When I sit the trot, I can get my legs exactly where I want, but have a harder time posting. But man, shed get a little wiggly, tracking right, I just put my right leg on asking for bend, shed try to swing haunches out and do a little leg yield, Id put my outside leg back, really square my shoulders, and hold the outside rein, and POP. There she goes. Straight and forward. I was like "Sarah!!! This feels FUNNY! How does she look??" and shes like "She looks uber relaxed and forward!!"

Needless to say, we had a great ride at the w/t. I decided to do a little canter work. The day before she was a TINY bit tense at the canter, but yesterday, I had this HUGE relaxed canter stride. Like she was some big fancy WB hunter. It was SO comfy. Both ways! I was estatic! Then we went on our little jaunt around the neighborhood. Ben has a HUGE walk when he gets going, and Layla doesnt have the bigger stride, but she was swinging SO much (which she usually doesnt do) she kept up with him. She was putting her nose to the dirt and stretching and just moving right along. I wish she understood what I meant when I say she was perfect! LOL

Oddly enough, the day before when I rode, she got a little tense and put her head up and I heard a little grind noise. The bit when just standing or whatever, was fine, but b/c of the Mylers shape, when some contact was applied, it got close to her left top molar. I lowered the bit one hole and I got yesterdays ride. Amazing.

So Im at work. Feeling like CRAP. Its supposed to rain and storm tonight and be in the 80s and raining tomorrow (after this lovely weather earlier.. go figure). And I gotta figure out what in the world I have to fill out to get all my accts and everything switched over to my new name! [big Grin]

How nice to get caught up on everyone's doings, comings, and goings...You are a busy bunch, I'll say that much. [Wink]

Looks like it'll be next April for me & Jag to make our show debut. I've ordered new dressage boots, and plan on dropping a few lbs. between now and then too. Jag's turning into a tank--still 16.2hh but now widening and muscling up like crazy. His show on Sunday garnered him his first 70 in T-3--and his first qualifying score. [Jump] Told Tiffany we're going to championships if he qualifies...and I think he will, at least in open where she'll show him.

Pokey gave his leasee rider a 68.5 on Sunday, in Intro B and a 68 in Intro A [Eek!] I never got scores like that on him... [Confused]

Pics are a comin'....had some pro ones taken on Sunday, will share them when they come online. [big Grin]

Yep, Smithereens, these moves usually happen pretty fast, but this is the last one. We will buy some land after we move into our house, which passed inspection today with flying colors!!! Then once we have the land, we can take our time and decide how we will build and the barn and all.

The barn is really cool. I was riding this a.m. and another girl who rides PSG was riding, and offering me some tidbits, in a very helpful constructive way. It was really cool.

I watched 3 lessons last night. First a girl who is getting ready to show I1 on her DWB. Very cool and the trainer was really good. Next lesson was a 3rd level rider on a Hanoverian mare. Once again, very good. Next lesson was a PSG rider on her green, training level, DWB gelding. It was cool watching the trainer switch gears according to what each rider and horse needed. I thought she was very astute, very clear in her directions and very knowledgeable. My first lesson with her is next week.

DQ, sounds like Jag did awesome last weekend. I entered that show, but think it was just a tad too far now! LOL! I was able to cancel before the deadline though, so got me refund already. I will miss the Pomona chapter shows.

GREAT news everyone! Riley's lameness is not because of the suspensory being reinjured, or not healed, but of a popped splint! What a relief! I am so happy.

Also, we have someone to buy Rascal, I think. We just need to determine a price. So a great day all round.

dobby - it seems that our highschool makes things as hard as possible to makeup. Luckily I only missed one test, and it's in a fairly easy class so no biggy.

3Day - thats wonderful! It is really a great learning experience riding upper level horses...they are great teachers, but definitely not always easy. I rode my trainer's TB gelding that was solid Grand Prix (and actually got a rider her USDF Gold Medal!). He would not do the movement unless I asked 110% correctly. 17.1hh [shocked] What a big boy! I suspect it'd be quite a change from my slender 14.2 Arab [Wink][big Grin]

Kiss The Sky - wow, those are very nice scores. I am sure you are quite pleased!! And have fun in London [smile]

Dreamin' - congrats on getting your freestyle music. My trainer wants me to do a freestyle, and I'd really like to. I just haven't started at all...haven't looked at music or anything, so I need to get going if its going to work out. Make sure you let us know how yours goes!

Krazy - sorry to hear you are sick. I can definitely sympathize! Hope you are feeling well soon. Sounds like Layla is doing very well!

DQ - congratulations on Jag's scores! I bet you're one pleased mom. Pokey's scores are looking great also. Can't wait for pictures!!

Boocoo - thats really great about your barn. The lessons sound like they are fun to watch! Keep us updated [smile]

My cold is better, but I'm not 100% yet. My doctor wanted me to take an inhaler twice a day for five days, as a preventative. I took it, and about 5-10 minutes later I started wheezing/coughing...symptoms I though inhalers were supposed to help [Confused] I won't be riding until Saturday, as I don't want to stress myself out physically. I am sure Alibi will have loads of energy, as she was ridden on the last Sunday we have. Some serious lunging will be in order!

[smiley Wavey]

quote:

Kiss The Sky - wow, those are very nice scores. I am sure you are quite pleased!! And have fun in London

Dreamin' - congrats on getting your freestyle music. My trainer wants me to do a freestyle, and I'd really like to. I just haven't started at all...haven't looked at music or anything, so I need to get going if its going to work out. Make sure you let us know how yours goes!

Krazy - sorry to hear you are sick. I can definitely sympathize! Hope you are feeling well soon. Sounds like Layla is doing very well!

DQ - congratulations on Jag's scores! I bet you're one pleased mom. Pokey's scores are looking great also. Can't wait for pictures!!

Boocoo - thats really great about your barn. The lessons sound like they are fun to watch! Keep us updated

DITTO! lol [Razz]

One again I am very glad everyone is doing well!

Luv- you'l feel 100% in a few days again [Huggy]

Right now I'm frustarted over schedualing and that fact that its been no stop rain in Georgia since last night, uggg...

Hehe!

Just dropped in to say good job to everyone (everything seems to be going well, knock on wood!) and to say I am quite happy to hear Riley's update! Hugs out there for all that are sick or have the sniffles.

My update is quick and snazzy. My ride yesterday was good (considering we were in the outdoor) but the highlight of my day was when I walked out to Spec in the field, I called his name, and he pulled his head out of the weeds to whinny at me! [big Grin] He has never done that, and I am so glad that the formally lesson sour furball is warming up to me.

Great news, Fessor is fully sound in both directions at a trot. He was feeling full of himself today, so we kept to walking and trotting in the indoor. Tag, I used suggestions you offered to another poster to get both Fessor and me relaxed. Mostly, it was talking us both through what I wanted and gently keeping my hands and legs quiet and ask Fessor to come to me. Thanks!

I think I may have made a mental breakthrough during our ride today. At one point, Fessor bucked in the corner while we were trotting. Normally, I would be so flustered that I would stop and get us both settled. Today I told myself that I was not coming off, just get my balance back, and keep the pony trotting. And after that, Mr. Fussy quit being quite so fussy. It really doesn't take much to get him to settle in, as long as *I* remain calm. And growling at Fessor and making him WORK is more effective than getting too much on his case.

Now that he is sound, I can start working back up to a more normal riding schedule. I am HOPING to arrange my schedule and workload to allow riding about five days a week. We'll see. It will take some juggling. But if I can get Fess more exercise and work his brain, I think he'll behave better. He's still bored and playing under saddle when I give him the chance. I'm hoping to add in a bit of canter work tomorrow, though we still need to go back and get a more balanced relaxed trot. For today though, just getting moments of relaxed balanced trot was enough. And it was wonderful not to worry about inadvertantly putting too much stress on the hoof. Yay for sound ponies!

Tracy

TracyA--Yay! There is a loud cheer from PA to your place [big Grin] I am so glad to hear how sound Fessor is! Playful as well [Roll Eyes] Silly pony has too much energy. I had to smile though when I heard about your mental breakthrough! Congratulations, how fantastic! I'm trying to get to that stage where I don't let it affect me as much, and your story definately helped me [Razz]

More updates and pictures of the handsome boy?

Tonight was, ummm, interesting. It was VERY windy at the barn tonight. Not only were the large access doors into the indoor arena rattling, the *roof* was rattling. Noisy, noisy, noisy. At the worst, I could hardly hear myself think! I turned Fessor out in the indoor and watched his reaction. He was ok. Not great, but ok. He alternated among trotting around, grazing on the stored hay, and calling to someone outside. Fess wasn't completely relaxed, but he wasn't panicing either. So I took a chance and tried riding.

Tonight was as much for my benefit as for Fessor's. I wouldn't say we ever truly relaxed, but we didn't have any meltdowns either. The focus was simply to say as soft as possible, and try to maintain an even rhythm. We did ok. Fessor was truly spooky tonight, but he never got stupid. It was the first time we have tried riding when the rattling doors and roof were so loud it was hard to think since Fessor went blind. I was able to focus on keeping him trotting relatively straight and forward regardless of how he spooked. We trotted about fifteen minutes, with some sidling and minor bucking thrown into the mix. I just kept talking to Fess and talking myself through staying soft.

I kept the ride short and tried to end on a focused, not quite so tense note. [smile] Overall, I think our ride was a success. If I were grading, I'd give us a B. When I can slow my mind down, we will be golden. In the meantime, I am building my confidence in myself and my abilities. I need to build my trust in myself. And tonight was another brick in that foundation.

Tracy

3DayEventer – Sounds like you had a great lesson on your trainer’s horse. What luck to have access to an upper level horse like that. That is the one thing that I am missing at my barn. Julie doesn’t have any upper level horses for me to learn on, so I just kind of have to find my way in the dark so to speak with Raz. I’m still not sure what I will do when it comes time to put changes on him. I can imagine that the canter half passes got you twisted up!! I get twisted up in the trot half passes!!

Kiss – Congrats on the good show results. Those are GREAT scores!!! Sounds like you and Rascal are ready to tackle 1st Level!!! Well done. Have fun in London!! Sounds like it is bound to be a good trip. I agree – Poor Mr. Francis!!! Guess we aren’t allowed to discuss his books on this site!!! HA!!!! So glad to hear it was good news on Riley’s bone scan. What a relief. Congrats on the sale of Rascal. Hope that goes through for you.

BQD – That sounds like a fun and interesting major!! I’m sure there are plenty of very difficult classes, but I bet there are some really interesting ones as well. Have a blast with that one!!

Krazy – Sounds like you and Layla have really hit a groove. That is fantastic. I peeked in at the photos you posted, and she looks great. Nice and soft and relaxed. I think the move to your home was really good for her. You can take care of her just the way she needs to be and keep her happy and comfortable 100% of the time so she is ready to work when you saddle her up. Things really seem to be falling into place for you – if you weren’t getting sick that is!! Hope you are feeling better by now.

DQ – So glad to hear things are moving along so well for you and Jag!!! A 70% at T3 is a great score. He is really doing well. Are you going to debut at Training with him?? So glad to hear Pokey is thriving as well. Can’t wait to see some updated pics of Jag. It has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG!!!!!!!!!

Boocoo – You better watch out – you may get so attached to this fancy barn you are at, you may not want to bring Beau home!!! HA!!! It is really nice to have upper level riders around that you can ask questions and get help from on a regular basis. It is so nice to have that “buddy system” to bounce ideas off of and be able to say, “this happened” or “what’s going wrong now” and get good, helpful answers without having to wait until next week’s lesson. So have you had your first lesson yet?? How did it go???

Luvhorses – Hope you have the wheezing under control and are back to riding.

Tracy – WOOOO-HOOOOO!!!! That is great news that Fess is fully sound in both directions at the trot. So happy for you. Don’t worry, once you have him back in a routine, he will behave better. Well done to ride in that wind!! Many riders won’t ride in high winds on seeing horses, much less blind horses. We call weather like that “dumping weather” because so many riders get dumped by their horses. It is not easy staying relaxed and soft in such a harsh riding environment. You both did great.

So I finally managed to get all of the show pictures cleaned, cropped, resized and uploaded. I put up a separate post with the show results and pictures, but here are the links:

Shelly:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/554896946AiKELa

Gabrielle:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/554904165HIartP

Also, the professional pictures are finally posted, and they are decent - especially the ones of Gabrielle and Raz. Here is the website, and the password is FARM. Gabrielle's pictures are posted under her show number #33, and my pictures are posted under my number #48. A little further down, there are pictures on there from my previous show at THE Farm back in May under my show number #30. If you look at those pictures, you will see why I was unhappy with the photographer. They were funky pictures taken mostly at the walk, all at odd angles. Just not very good. I never even bothered ordering any even though she offered me a free 5x7. At any rate, here is the website:

https://georgetownphotoevents.lifepics.com/

Enjoy!!

~Shelly~

Thanks BQD...I'd say I'm about 100% again [smile]

Dobby - Thats great Spec is really warming up...definitely a nice step in the right direction!

Tracy - that is WONDERFUL news about Fess's soundness. I bet you are escatic. 5 days a week riding would definitely be awesome, but I can totally sympathize time-wise, it can be really difficult to ride on a consistent daily/almost daily basis. It sounds like you are handling Fess's excess energy really well. I am sure he will settle down a bit more once riding becomes more routine again.

Shelly - congrats on your Second Level debut! Nice photos [smile] . Do you have any more shows or clinics in the near future?

I have someone intersted in Alibi so we'll see where that goes. I found this horse for sale and lease that sparked my interest. She's a 13 year old premium Oldenburg mare that is solid 3rd level. There are many more details on the web (PM me if you'd like the link to the ad). She's at a price that is no where near affordable, but if a lease situation could work out, I might have found a possible North American Junior Young Rider Championship partner! That's jumping ahead *quite* a bit, but I can't help myself [Razz] .

Happy Haloween everyone!

[smiley Wavey]