Sign in to follow this  
BisQuickDoc

Dressage Chit-Chat Thread Volume 12

Thanks, Shelly and Luv. Fortunately, the weather was much calmer this evening. We had a decent ride in the indoor with a couple other horses in with us. Since we were a bit crowded, I opted to wait until next time to canter. Fess is still wanting to be a bit reactive to our surroundings, so staying at a walk and trot seemed like a good idea. I did speak with one of the barn owners about turning Fessor out in the round pen for part of the day. So hopefully, we can get him outside for awhile. That will help him settle in and focus more than anything. In the meantime, I'm working on staying soft regardless of my emotions and on trying to improve our walk. We started to get some decent contact at the walk and I was able to lengthen our reins a bit while still keeping some contact. I don't think we are quite to actually SEEKING contact, but at least we are getting better acceptance of said contact. Baby steps...

Tracy

Luv - Glad to hear you are back to 100%. That is great news that you have someone interested in Alibi. Fingers crossed that goes well!! The Oldenburg mares sounds PERFECT!! Hope you can work out a lease on her. It is never too early to think about a partner for YRs. Keep us posted. No, I don't have any shows or clinics lined up right now. I am keeping my eye out for a couple of clinicians that come to my area quite frequently that I would like to ride with. I would like to do a couple of clinics this winter if possible, and I just got news that a former boarder known for bringing in clinicians to the barn is going to return for the winter!!!! So I am very excited by that news. I am hoping that boarder will bring in a certain clinician at least once over the course of the winter, but I'm not allowed to say anything yet as the news is all supposed to be very hush, hush. My show plans are really aimed towards some schooling shows in the spring. Nothing major in the works anytime soon.

Tracy - That's all that matters - baby steps. There is no rush. Just take your time and keep working in the right direction. Before you know it, you will be back to where you were before you moved. I think the turn out will help tremendously. Even if it is just for an hour or two a day. Anything to get him out of the stall and give him something to do. Keep us posted.

~Shelly~

Well Luv, keep us up to date on selling Alibi and the possible lease horse.

Smithereens, it is a nice barn and I am not planning on going anywhere for a while! Ha ha. I really like the mirrors. What a difference they make. My first lesson is tonight, so we shall see how that goes.

Tracy - baby steps are still steps in the right direction, which is very good. Keep us updated on your progress. I think it'd be great if Fess could get some turnout time, however small it may be - my horses thrive on it! (But of course the weather can make that difficult at times, to say the least...).

Shelly - the mare does sound perfect, I am REALLY hoping it will work out. I don't want to get my hopes up, but its hard!! That would be great if you could get a clinician to come to your barn, esp. on a regular basis. I too am hoping to go to some clinics this winter, to help us prep for the show season, and of course to just improve us overall and get some feedback.

Boocoo - thanks [smile] . Your new barn sounds great. Can't wait to hear about your lesson!

I am off to ride little Alibi soon. The weather has been chilly...getting into the low 20's and upper teen's at night *shivers*. I despise the cold...

Hope everyone had a nice Haloween! [smile]

Smithereens- Again Congrats on your 2nd level debut! That would be pretty awesome if you had some clinicians come to the farm [big Grin]

Luv-Sounds a perfect lease!!! Have you gone out and looked/ride the horse? Keep us updated!

I was unable to lease that Prelim horse, due to financial reasons right now. I just had one to many major bills to pay off. So I'm hoping that I will find something this spring.

Boocoo- How was your first lesson w/ the new trainer??

TracyA- Glad to hear that Fessor is doing well!! [smile]

The horse I rode,George, is actually her only upper level horse. She bought him as a yearling and brought him up through the levels and she is hoping to go GP on him. But I'm very vey thankful that I've been able to ride him. He is not an easy ride, but I had a blast on him and he definately made me really sit and hold the collected canter together into the walk transistions. A different feel from Jade who was just pushing 14.1hh. When she was teaching him is changes, he would blast HUGE bucks...like heels over the head, snap necking kind. She travels to Massachuetts. for lessons a few times a year. And her trainer this year started piaffe on him, and OMY George would get really really smart and a bit grumpy. Though he will have a great piaffe when he gets over himself. lol I actually was able to go up w/ her w/ Jade and ride w/ her trainer, any Mass ppl been to Apple Valley Farm?

Just got some new Jade pics well not new but from August.

Coming back from the required Jog Up.

-

Jade-Walk

Jadey

Us in collected Canter

Hello Everyone!

I have not been on here in a very long time!

Glad to read updates from everyone.

Shantel, I'm so happy your wedding went well! You will definitely cherish the memories you have of your special day forever!

As for me...

Hubby and I had our baby...well...I had our baby. LOL! I ended up having to be induced. Went in on a Monday, was induced, and they let me sit in active labor until 3:00 Wednesday afternoon before they decided that the baby was too large for a natural birth and decided to do an emergency C-section. I was in the hospital for a week...aye!

But, my husband and I had a beautiful baby girl on October 4th. She was 21 inches long and 7 lbs 15.3 ounces! Very healthy and way too cute! [Jump] We named her Emma Ann.

She is of course, keeping us very busy!

The only other news I have is that my hubby got a horse. It's a 7 year old paint mare that he is going to do trail riding with.

[ 11-02-2006, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Santas_Girl ]

Meghan, we need picture of baby Emma! And maybe of the new paint mare too. Congratulations on your new arrival. [big Grin][Angel]

Tracy

3Day - the picture of you and Jade is very cute [smile]

Santas_Girl - congratulations on your new additions to the family! Ditto to Tracy - we definitely need pictures of Emma Ann...and maybe a couple of your new mare. Again, congrats! [smile]

Boocoo - Mirrors are the BEST!! How did the lesson go??

Luvhorses - Getting cold here too. I've already body clipped Raz. We'll be turning on the heat in the indoor arena soon. Sooo nice to have that heated indoor.

3Day - I haven't been to Apple Valley, but it is just a couple of minutes down the road from where I board Razzie. It is a very, very nice place. Kathy Connelly's farm. She should be headed down to Florida for the winter soon if she hasn't already left. Those are great pictures of Jade. How nice to get some new pictures of her in.

SG - Congrats on the new baby!! That is great news. And congrats on the new horse as well. We definitely need pictures of both!!

~Shelly~

Tracy I had to laugh when I read your last post, where you said to SG, we need pictures of the new baby and MAYBE the new paint mare!! [ROTFL] Very cute!

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS SG, on your new baby daughter. I love her name. And yes pictures of her please. And yes, pictures of the new horse!!! [big Grin] I know she will be keeping you busy, that's for sure. When my son was born, I used to put him in his carrier in the shed on top of the hay and park our dog beside him, while I rode. The dog would come get me when he would cry! It was perfect!

3Day, nice picture, but I can't view the ones that are links! [Frown] Sounds like you had a great ride.

Luv, I am with you, I do not like cold. It got down in the low 60's yesterday and I was freezing!! I know, to some of you that is nothing, but to me it was plum cold!

Had my lesson last night with the new trainer. It was awesome. She helped me iron out some issues I had been having ever since the poor saddle fit thing flared up last spring. Once I got my new saddle it got better but I needed some extra help. She said Beau is a wonderful horse, upper level potential and she liked how willing he was. She would instruct me, I would ask him and he would do it. Very cool!! She also said I was a good student, that made me feel good and that I will be doing 2nd level by end of 07!!! Wow! She had me doing walk to sitting trot to walk and then sitting trot to canter to sitting trot at the lessons end and I was doing it!!! Got a little tough doing the sitting trot to canter transitions and back again, but I got it! Beau has a huge bouncy trot! [big Grin] I am really going to like my lessons with her.

See, Boocoo, told you that you were more than ready for that move up!! Well done. Glad to hear that the lesson went so well and that you really clicked with the new trainer. When you take the time to really lay the foundation as well as you have with Beau, then moving up can be done quickly. I knew the new trainer would love working with you and Beau - how could she not?? Every trainer loves a dedicated and talented rider and horse combination to teach. Looks like you are going to be doing some hard work this winter as well!! I'm so glad you found this barn. Sounds like it is going to be a great place for you and Beau to really thrive in.

~Shelly~

Shelly, I am so envious - I'd kill for a heated indoor!!

Boocoo - I am so happy for you. It sounds like you and your trainer hit it off perfectly! And its no surprise that you will be doing Second Level by the end of '07 - Beau is a really nice horse, and matched with your riding ability you guys will be doing the upper levels before you know it [big Grin] ! Keep us updated!

The rain has started [surrender] Yes, I hate the cold, but rain is not exactly nice...it means mud and dirty horses. Though the indoor may not be heated ( [Razz] ) I am glad there at least is one! I couldn't imagine not riding during the winter, rain or no rain.

I am ordering a pair of fleece breeches and cannot wait until they arrive!

Thank you Shelly and Luv. You guys are so encouraging!! It felt good hearing these things from a trainer of her caliber. She is a USDF Gold Medalist and so is her husband. She was on the Olympic Long List in 2000 I think, maybe 2004? I need to get the facts all straight, but anyway, her and her husband train with Michelle Gibson. Hubby is down in Florida training with Michelle right now. So they continue their own education and from what I've seen with the other girls, she is an awesome instructor.

I rode Beau today and repeated my lesson from last night. I was a lot better at the sit trot to canter transitions! I hardly even posted today at all! Just to warm him up good first! He was so cool when I asked him to do something from last night, he did it right away. It's like he's saying to me, see Mom, I can do it when you ask properly!!

Looks like we may close on our house next week. Thank goodness. I am so ready to be back in my own house and have my dogs back in my backyard. They have been in a kennel. We go see them everyday and get them out to play, but it's just not the same thing. My cat is here in the apt. suite with us, so she's fine! But the dogs are too big. A German Shepherd and Golden Retriever.

Shelly, I imagine that heated indoor is a life saver in the dead of winter, eh? We don't need one here, but sure am glad the arena is covered, so we can at least ride when it rains.

Luv, stay warm. Those winter breeches you ordered sound scrumptious!

Boocoo - I bet you are so proud of both yourself and Beau. Like you said, comments that you got coming from such a knowledgeable and obviously talented rider like your new trainer, definitely mean something! My trainer is a USDF Gold Medalist too, but she continues to ride in clinics and regular lessons. I think its really important, even if you are a professional rider, to continue your education! And congrats on the house closing, I bet you're super excited [smile] !

Santa's Girl-Congrats on your baby!!

Smithereens- Yes it is a lovely place I was able to spend 3 days training w/ Kathy this past summer and was invited to go back up to train w/ her. I was just wondering if anyone else has been/ridden with Joy or any of the other instructor? My trainer trains w/ Kathy. I believe she is leaving either this week or next to go to FL.

Lucky girl having a heated indoor!! I'm totally jealous!

Luv-ick to rain!! Please don't send it this way, I have an event this weekend! Praying for nice weather... Did I hear that you might of sold your mare?

Boocoo- that's awesome about your lessons!! So glad that you are already feeling an improvement in a matter of a day or two! That is super. It sounds like you and your boy have great goals for the next coming year! How exciting [smile]

hmm I wonder why the links won't work, I'll repost if you still want to see them. It's not anything fabulous...heheh

This week has been a bit crazy, I'm riding this new horse in an event this week...that I've only ridden once and still have yet to jump him! Hopefully I will get to jump him tomorrow before we go to the event on Saturday. If not well keep your fingers crossed! lol. Hope the rest of the week is goign well for everyone else!

I'm just making sure to keep my priorities striaght. I love seeing any horse pictures, especially of NEW horses. But new babies are even more special! [big Grin]

Ah, the joys of riding in a different saddle. The new dressage saddle is helping me realize just how very stiff I am through the hips and thighs. [Frown] I feel like an absolute novice. My legs don't know where they go and I feel horribly insecure. Forget cantering, I'm trying to let my legs and hips go "limp" and relaxed at the walk and a slow trot first. I find that I'm wanting to brace against the stirrups, so I'm riding mostly without them until my legs adjust. Poor Fessor, he doesn't like me stiff and insecure in the saddle. At least I still have our hunt saddle so we can have some rides where I can focus on him and we can have some more fun. I guess I am just impatient. I want to be a secure and competent in a dressage saddle as I am in our hunt saddle, RIGHT NOW! [Crazy]

Tracy

I drove by the new house today and did the mileage from the house to the barn. From the house driveway, to parking at the barn is 4.2 miles!!! I love how close it is! This week seems like it dragged on by. I sure hope we close next week.

3Day, make sure you get pics of the event and post them. I want to see them!!! I love watching eventing. My niece in Kansas does it also!

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

I'm just making sure to keep my priorities striaght. I love seeing any horse pictures, especially of NEW horses. But new babies are even more special!
[big Grin]

You are absolultey right! [big Grin] I just love how you worded it!!! [Not Worthy]

Whoa! There are too many people to hand out congrats to for their hard work, horses, babies, marriages, goodness gracious everything!

So instead I am going to dig up a cute photo of the Spec (Spectrum).

-

Yes, yes I know. Hilariously in love with the thing. He tried to lick the camera right after this was taken. Just a fun photo. I have no others as no one loves me enough to come take pictures [Razz] Teehee. One day I will convince my mother to leave her classroom for once to relax...while taking photos of moi riding! [big Grin]

3Day - well, I had someone who was interested, but due to some personal changes she has put her horse-search on hold. And I can't lease another horse until Alibi is sold, so I am hoping the right person comes along before the Oldenburg mare is taken!

Tracy - you will get used to the dressage saddle, don't worry! I must say it was quite a change for me from going to a Wintec 250 All Purpose to a Karl Niedersuss dressage saddle - though I am in love with it [smile]

Boocoo - lucky! You are so close to the barn. That is awesome [big Grin]

dobby - [ROTFL] LOVE the photo. Too cute [Razz]

It is SO windy and SO rainy today...it was literally pouring and the wind may get up to 45 degrees on Saturday and Sunday. ICK!

luvhorses--Thanks! Of course, that was right before he decided to taste test the camera. [Roll Eyes] He makes my world go around.

I was at Plantation Fields (eventing) all Sat. to support some barn friends and to play "groom" which I have a fondness for, and settled on a goal of going Elementary by next Nov. I asked my instructor who was with us, both riding and coaching and although she was exhausted by the end of the day, she agreed that Spectrum could rock Elementary. Hopefully this will mean some small local dressage shows too, as long as we get good enough [big Grin]

However, I must admit my frustration. I don't have a horse or even a pony of my own. I steal Spectrum on the days he doesn't give lessons, and occasionally after lessons to beginners (as in beginner beginners who are learning the basics) when he is cranky and annoyed. He hates lessons! I feel so bad for him, its simply terrible. But my instructor can't bear to replace her old childhood pony who used to take most of the lessons and who passed away last Christmas (literally). Although I feel blessed to be riding in general, and to only pay for lessons and not the other rides on Spectrum, I feel like I am running in circles. I wish I could lease him but I doubt that will ever happen, on my parents side and on my instructors side. Frustration galore. Joy to the world.

Sorry for the rant.

Whew.

I think my horse is psychic. I've been thinking lately that my biggest riding issue right now is a lack of confidence in my ability to stay on and mostly with a horse when it acts up. Today's ride helped convince my emotions of what my mind already knows. I can ride through anything Fessor cares to throw at me. His spooks and bucks are not so big or so powerful to get me off, or even overly unbalanced.

Since we are having some LOVELY fall weather, I decided to ride outside. And considering I was wanting to maybe canter a bit, I rode out in the hunt saddle so we could have a nice long ride without me needing to focus on ME quite so much. Good decision. We did in fact canter a bit... over an hour into the ride. In and among bucking in a circle rather than cantering said circle.

Today Fessor decided to immitate a flighty spooky silly tb or arab rather than just go for a nice relaxing ride. It took over an hour to get him to settle down into something approaching a quiet trot. The first hour was spook, buck, grab the bit, tense the jaw, try to go faster and faster, unbalanced and leaning on the person... I'm still not sure how he trotted so very slowly rather than walk for much of the ride. It was too slow to be a jog, but not quite trotting in place. Even if we HAD trotted in place, this would not have had any resemblance to a trot. This was about avoiding all aids, not super collected and *on* the aids. After an hour of trying for some basic walk trot work, Fessor *finally* settled down and let me touch his mouth and his sides without having a hissy fit. And yes, we did try a bit of canter. Back to adventures in bucking or riding a pogo stick. [Confused] Goofy pony. In each direction, we just kept trying a large canter circle here and there until I got part of a circle with enough forward motion to be going *somewhere* and no bucks. Tracking right, I think we got a whole circle eventually. Tracking left, we got about a third of a circle. Then, back to more somewhat relaxed and balanced trotting so we could finish on a good note.

What an adventure! The best part, I never worried about coming off. It was just a matter of keeping his head up, riding forward, and trying to stay soft in my back and arms when Fessor would let me be nice. The other good thing is that the barn owner saw part of this and said I never seemed to get off center. And he agreed that turnout in the indoor arena is not doing the trick. Too much eating of hay and not enough playing, we think. So Fessor will be in the roundpen with less room, but also no hay to distract him from playing. He will buck and rear in the roundpen, so I know he'll play there.

Our next ride, I'm going our armed with a crop. Today I just kept riding through the fits. Next time, we'll try some stronger corrections. Fessor need some time in boot camp. Either he straightens up on his own or we'll have an attitude adjustment. Or maybe riding through the fits today will suffice. Who knows?

It has been a long time since Fess has come in from a ride sweaty, and longer since we have ridden for an hour and a half at a time. I suspect we could have gone on twice as long, but by our last trot sessions he was trying to listen and be good. Hmmm. I wonder how long tomorrow's ride will have to be??

Tracy

[ 11-05-2006, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: TracyA ]

dobby - I am sure you and Spec will do great at Elementary [smile] . Do you think maybe half leasing would work?

Tracy - Wow, sounds like quite the ride! Despite Fess's obvious naughty-ness, it sounds like you kept your cool and handled things well. I am sure Fess would benefit from more outdoor time. I know my horses would be quite upset if they didn't get their all-day turnout!

I had a lesson on Teddy today, and overall it was good. Our lateral work is doing really well, and our medium trots have improved a ton. So on that note things are looking good. It's just that dang collected canter! It was an "off" day in terms of cantering...I couldn't keep him in a consistent collected canter, so some of our canter-walk transitions suffered. We had some good ones, but they need more work.

ilovedobby- OMG I was oompeteing at Plantation on Saturday!! I wish I knew you were there. It would of been fun to meet a HC chatter. Did you have fun? Did you ride?

luv- the collected canter will come. It just takes a bit of time to fully comphrehende and have the muscle capacity for it! So glad that you had a good ride!

Boocoo- I most definately will post some pics. I will have to post pictures of Scotch doing his first event this past summer!

When is your next lesson w/ the new trainer??

TracyA- Sounds like you have been having some fun/interesting rides!

My event on Saturday was interesting. I rode a horse named Squid...that I had just jumped/ridden him the day before the show. haha. This was the first time he's been out in about a year. I had a blast though. We had some interesting moments while waiting b/t stadium and XC. Lets just say he jumped XC w/ only one boot on. Had a fabulous dressage test on him. The scores wasn't what I thought he should of gotten, but nonetheless he was super in the ring.

He won the dressage, we jumped Stadiuum clean and I had a rider error at fence 6 going XC. I saw the novice fence and rode to it, until last minute in noticed I was at the wrong fence. So I was able to turn right before we actually had a takeoff. our fence was to the right of the novice fence, and we did a nice canter circle and jumped our fence. other than my rider error we had a great round. But w/ my stupidity riding we went fron first to 9th. But not bad considering this was only my 2nd ride on this horse, and I knew absolutely nothing about him. How I missed eventing!

Can't wait to see pics 3Day.

My hubby took pics of me riding at new barn on Sat. but he left the camera cord at work. So hopefully he will remember to bring it home today so I can upload the pictures. Next lesson is Wed night. The trainer comes over every Wed. night and teaches about 4 to 5 lessons. I plan on taking a lesson every week. That's what I did in Cal. Helps a lot!

thanks! It was great weekend

boocoo- can't wait for pictures [smile]

Well here are some pictures of Scotch from his first event over the summer. The photographer at this last event hasn't posted the pics up yet.

-

-

Had to throw in a pic of Remy (idk if anyone remembers my event/dressage horse that I sold last yr)

-

-

Fun to reminisce in the past. [smile]

[ 11-06-2006, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: 3DayEventer ]

Luvhorses – This time of year, it is almost a draw which is worse – snow or rain. At least with snow you don’t have the mud!! We’ve been getting quite a bit of rain as well, and I keep finding myself making that fateful wish, if only . . . I know I’ll regret that sooner rather than later!! HA!! Sorry to hear the sale of Alibi was a no go. I hear you on the collected canter issues. Razzle was in a “grab the bit and pull” mood on Saturday and Julie wouldn’t let me circle. Ahhh . . . all work on the second track – canter/trot transitions over and over and over until they were perfect. We did get it eventually, and then got to move on to some trot and CANTER half pass work. I didn’t think we were ready for canter half pass, but she snuck that in on me!!!! Guess it is time for me to start upping the difficulty of my schooling sessions!!! [Eek!]

Boocoo – That is great!! Sounds like everything is really falling together. So nice when you can repeat the work from the lesson and feel like you have it well in hand. Fingers crossed that the house closes ASAP!! I’m sure that is really difficult on all of you having the dogs in a kennel. Hopefully you will be settled in your new house really soon. Wow!! You sure are close to the barn in your new house!! That is fantastic!! Can’t wait to see the pics at the new barn. Yes, a weekly lesson is a must. Very helpful. And every so often, treat yourself and two back to back lessons two days in a row. I can’t even begin to tell you how incredibly helpful that is!!!! It is simply amazing what that can do for you.

3dayeventer – The next time you are up here to train at Apple Valley, you have to let me know. You are literally only 15-20 minutes away from Razzle and me!! Sounds like you did great for catch ride on a strange horse!! Too bad about the missed fence on XC, but that stuff happens. Better luck next time. Can’t wait for the pictures. Great pictures of Scotch and Remy!! Scotch looks like he really enjoyed his first time out eventing.

Tracy – Are you sure that the twist on your new saddle isn’t too wide for you?? You shouldn’t feel so insecure and stiff in the hips like you are feeling. Sounds to me like the saddle doesn’t fit you. I think you need a narrower twist. Just keep with the rides. Sounds like you are on the right track with Fessor. He is excited to get back to work, but doesn’t want to do what you want to do. He will see the light eventually. Be firm and consistent, and he will come around.

Dobby – Love the picture of Spec. Very cute. I understand your frustration, Dobby. I was 25yo before I bought my first horse, and I never had to opportunity to lease. Just keep getting rides where you can and count your blessings.

~Shelly~

Thanks guys for showing so much support!

TracyA--You are one impressive rider! Your patience, persistence and optimisim is contagious. Thank you ever so much

luvhorses--I think I might approach M (my instructor) or my parents with that one. That is a great idea! [big Grin] Now I have to get the courage to ask, hehe. I'll lay on some flattery and through it out there in the next couple of days.

P.S.--You don't even want to see me attempt a canter-walk transition...hehe! Every has their off days, especially at things such as canters, which require more effort and thought on both the horse's and the rider's part.

3Day-AH! How weird is that! I probably spilled coffee on you and didn't even know it, knowing me [Roll Eyes] hehe. I didn't ride (I am NOWHERE near being that good, especially in my picky instructor's eyes) but I was there to play "groom" and to support a friend's first event. My instructor rode and so did two other talented girls from my barn. You might have seen a couple of yellow jackets with gray lettering? PM for more information if you need it. That is so cool! It was so much fun, especially watching my instructor ride a boarder's horse who doesn't *quite* get along with her. It was an eventful day, no pun intended. Good job at the event! Squid is such a cute name! [Razz] Scotch is ADORABLE and Remy is stunning. A shame that you had to sell him.

Boocoo-Congrats! It sounds like everything is coming together. I would still be a bit nervous/excited if I was in your place. Its hard moving, especially to a new barn. Uck.

Smithereens--Your words calmed me down. I needed to step back and remember where I was just over a year ago and be grateful to be so blessed. Im still holding a bit of hope that my parents will magically change my mind and do what they once did for my sister, and buy me a horse. But I guess as I get older I become more realistic. Thanks for being so supportive! Im lucky to have such a cute thing to ride. [big Grin]

Glad everyone liked the pictures and is doing well. By the way, I have a question for everyone about riding cranky horses. I rode on Friday after a beginner's lesson (a full hour one too) so he was cranky as butt. The lesson before my ride was a walk some trot lesson, so I didn't ask to much of him since he was mad and tired and hungry. But he was so tense! How do I get him to loosen up? Any exercises? Maybe it was just a bad day for him? [Confused]

quote:

Originally posted by ilovedobby:

How do I get him to loosen up? Any exercises?

Go onto a 3 loop serpentine at the rising trot and STAY on it until he chills out. Just keep repeating it over and over and over and over. The sheer repetitive nature of the pattern is calming and soothing to horses. They take comfort from it, and within a few laps of the pattern, he will figure out that you are not the kid that kicked/pulled/whatever and ticked him off. He will settle in and chill out.

~Shelly~