Sign in to follow this  
BisQuickDoc

Dressage Chit-Chat Thread Volume 12

Boocoo - can't wait for pictures! I take weekly lessons too - I get guidance and have "homework" to practice during the week until the next lesson.

3Day - love the pictures! Both horses are very pretty.

Shelly - I'd sure take snow right now! The wind kept me up ALL night last night, so I got barely any sleep. The rain has ben POURING for the past few days, non-stop. We've had about 10-12" of rain in the last 2 days I heard [Eek!] My sister and I were driving on the freeway, and there was a layer of water between the car tires and the actual road...so we took it slow! I did a canter half pass, my first one, a few lessons ago too! I didn't really feel that ready, but it wasn't too bad. Our trot half-passes are doing well though. We've also been doing some extended walk. It's the extended trot (and canter?) that are going to get us! Not to mention flying changes...

dobby - part of the reason I convinced my parents to buy my first horse, was a long letter I wrote. All about the costs involved, and of course ways I could help out to make them smaller. If money is an issue at all, you might ask your instructor/barn owner if there is any work you can do to help pay off expenses. I hope things work out for you [smile] Serpentines are a good idea for relaxation. I have an Arab mare, and she can be tense at times too. For her, there is a fine line between repeating things too much, AND trying to do too many different things in one schooling session. I find lots of walk-trot, trot-walk as well as halt-walk transitions help her stay focused and attentive, as well as relax her.

Some of you may remember the Oldenburg mare I was interseted in leasing. I am 15 years old, and just over 5', and this mare is 17h and according to the owner a big mover. She said that she was hard to ride, not in a naughty way, but she is a really big mover and the owner, 5'5", has a hard time getting her leg on. So we'll see. She didn't seem to think the lease was a great idea, and that if I were still interested she'd want to talk to my parents, which is definitely understandable. I did however lease a 16.1 HUGE-barreled imported Dutch WB gelding, who was also a HUGE mover and I was about 4'10" then (this horse could be ridden by 6' tall, long-legged people and they'd look like a size-appropiate match). I rode his movement well, and his large gaits really helped improved my seat. But again, I don't know. I don't know this horse, the owner does, but I don't want to give up yet. I have ridden challenging horses, and done well with them. I've never really had an "easy" horse to ride actually.

This is getting long, so I'm going to stop while I'm ahead

[Razz]

[ 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

It sounds like everyone is progressing well. I'm going to have to talk with the parents and see if I can beg enough money for one or two lessons a month with Fessor. I'd love some formal work in addition to the occasional pointers I get now.

We had a much more relaxed ride tonight. Fessor was calm enough in the indoor to walk on a loose rein. And he LIKES the loose rein, especially to warm up so that helped keep us relaxed. Even with three or four other horses in our *very* small indoor he was relatively calm. And even better, Fessor was soft and trying to focus. The silly pony acted up once about two-thirds of the way through the ride and got smacked behind my leg a few times for his trouble. Then I pretended nothing had happened and Fessor settled back down and kept working. Good boy! So, we're starting to get back into the swing of things.

We have been off riding so long that Fessor and I need to go back to basics for awhile. We are less balanced than we were this summer. So we are back to focusing on rhythm and relaxation for now. And for me, the new focus needs to be on loosening the muscles of the thigh and relaxing the hip. We could probably spend a year on getting my upper legs relaxed and soft... Ah, well. One day at a time.

Thanks all for your encouragment and support!

Tracy

Great pics 3day. Sure hope you get up to see Shelly sometime. That would be cool!

Ditto to Smithereens, ilovedobby. When Beau is tense I do a lot of bending at the rising trot till he loosens up.

Luv, hope the right horse to lease comes along soon for you. I am sure you can ride a big mover. No doubt in my mind!! [big Grin]

Well we have our official closing date. This Monday a.m. So we will be in the new house Mon. night. Can't wait. I got the pictures, just need to put them on photobucket, so I can upload them. Hopefully this evening. I am off to ride now!! [big Grin]

[ 11-07-2006, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Luvhorses – BITE YOUR TONGUE!! Don’t even mention flying changes!!! I’m trying to pretend as if they don’t exist. HA!!! I’m not sure what I am going to do when we hit that point. I really would feel better paying someone else to put the changes on Raz, but we’ll see. I need to get the simple changes more consistent, the counter canter more supple, and I need to establish a nice canter half pass before we even consider the flying changes. From the looks of it, we aren’t that far off, but far enough that I don’t need to start losing sleep this month!! It really hit home though how much progress we have made when Julie asked for that canter half pass this last lesson. That is seriously A LOT of rain you are getting. Good grief. Definitely take it slow on the roads in that much water. I keep trying to get it across to the young driver in our household that wet/rainy roads are just as dangerous as icy roads. Glad to hear that the lease on the mare hasn’t totally fallen through. Keep pursuing it. The size difference is a barrier, but until your trainer vetoes it, I wouldn’t rule it out. You and your trainer are the best judges of what you can and cannot handle in terms of horses. I’m not surprised the owner is being cautious as she probably gets many starry-eyed teenage girls inquiring about the mare who truly can’t handle the horse. Once she talks to your trainer and/or parents and gets confirmation of your skills, she will feel better about your abilities.

Tracy – The rhythm and relaxation are always the hardest things to get and keep. A long break from riding, a move to a new barn, an extended lameness issue which has compromised turnout, and you under all sorts of new stresses from school – well you have to expect that you are going to have a few glitches with the rhythm and relaxation. Good news is that you can usually bring it back a lot faster than it took you to teach it the first time around. Lessons would certainly be a huge help. Hopefully your parents will be willing to pitch in some money to allow you some lessons every so often. As for tight thighs, ah, such a difficult body part to relax!!! I am just getting to the point where I can maintain a soft thigh, but when Raz is speedy or full of himself, I revert to being grippy. It is a constant battle to stay soft and loose.

Boocoo – Congrats on getting a closing date!!! That is fantastic. Less that a week and you will be in your new home. YEAH!!! Great news.

Speaking of meeting HC members – I’m not sure if I remembered to tell you all that my visit with Beckham was fantastic. She was here back at the middle of October. I took a day off of work, and we got to hang out for a day at Larkspur. I had her ride Razzle, and she did a great job with him. She got to meet all of the barn people and trainers at my barn and see life at Larkspur. She even got to watch one of my lessons with Julie. Then we all went out to dinner that night with Jack and the boys. It was a really nice visit.

~Shelly~

Boocoo, congrats on the closing date! [big Grin] How exciting to be preparing to move into the new house.

Thanks, Shelly. I really need to stretch my legs EVERY DAY. They are muscular and tight. And I am so used to them being tight, that I'm not sure what a relaxed thigh feels like. And I'm talking relaxed laying in bed or sitting in a chair, not just on horseback... I need to find someone in massage therapy school to work on my legs. They get the practice hours and I get help softening and relaxing the muscles.

The plan for tonight is ground work with basic desensitization. We'll get out the tarp and toss sand on the walls. I wonder if we have any noisy pop cans I can kick around... [smile] Ideally, we would be able to do all this on long lines, but I will probably stick with a halter and lead rope for tonight. On the plus side, Fessor walked into the mounting block and knocked it over the other day without freaking out. Silly pony!

Tracy

Thanks all!

iluv- ouuu lots of rain for you. Rain and cold=no good. Keep pursuing the lease, and definately get your trainer/parents to talk to the owner. If she sees you ride I'm sure she would be much more willing. I had something similiar happen to me, when I was looking at a horse down in SC. My dressage trainer spoke w/ her then, our event trainer talked to her. This horse was going training level moving up to Prelim in eventing and took 3rd at the AECs. So she was leary about who he should go to but anyways! I hope that everything works out for you! Yay for canter halfpasses! We all are starting them recently. very cool!

Boocoo-that is awesome!! Can't wait for the pictures!!

Smithereens- I definately will tell you when I'm up in that area again. My dressage trainer is orginally from Mass. so she goes up here and there, and most of the time I go as well.

Ohhh canter halfpass! I just started them the other week I was up there and the changes as well. Don't fret yourself, I'm sure you and Raz will have lovely changes when the time comes! How are you canter halfpasses coming along?

Glad you have a lovely time w/ Beckham! [smile] So cool how interaction is taking place.

TracyA- Fessor sounds like he's a character! Props to you girl for your persaverance and dedication!

Ohh here are some pics from this past event on my 2nd timer ride on this horse.

Please excuse the undone pinny on the one side...my blondeishness was coming out and I forgot to double knot it on the right side..

Click for Pics

If you click the next arrow there's more. [smile]

Off to a lesson right now! Hope everyone is having a great day!

Tracy - relaxation and rythm are not easy, but so important! With all the "events" you and Fess have gone through, you're doing well. It sounds like he is improving already! Keep up the good work.

Boocoo - thank you [smile] . And a HUGE congrats on the closing date!! That's fantastic [big Grin] .

Shelly - hehe [Razz] . The flying changes got my mind a little hyperactive too...but like you said, once the simple changes are "cleaned up" and completely solid, and once the canter half pass is mastered, it should make the changes easier. We'll see!! My trainer has an INCREDIBLY talented 6 yr old Swedish WB gelding who she bred/trained (and still owns, he's a keeper!). He "got"/understood changes afer just a few rides. He is so smart! She will be putting changes on Teddy, which I am glad about as I have NO experience with them...except doing them on accident on another horse. Somehow I don't think that counts... [Wink]

I am not ready to give up on the lease, but I can totally understand the owner's apprehension. Here she has a VERY nice, expensive horse, who would be in the hands of a junior rider, and even though I am a responsible and dedicated person, it's not the same as leasing the horse out to a 30 year old with many years of experience. BUT, we shall see.

3Day - I don't have time to look at the photos now but I definitely will!

I can't believe it...there is NO rain right now!! Let's hope it stays that way for my ride tonight...

Luv, glad there's no rain. I know that feeling!!

3day, those are great pictures.

Tracy, I think sticking with the halter is a good idea for starters! Glad Fess didn't freak out on the mounting block. Beau would have and he can see! [Wink]

Shelly, that is really cool you met Beckham. Sounds like a great visit. I know how much I enjoyed meeting Deequeue at a couple of shows in Cal.

The closing date is official. Mon. a.m. They just called me and told me how much $$ to bring! [Eek!] LOL!

I completely succeeded in making Beau mad yesterday! I was working on my sitting trot/canter transitions. He is so sensitive that my unbalanced self was highly irritating him. He finally figure out that when he comes back to trot, to go a tad slower than medium trot, then I can sit it and we pick our pace back up. Before that he was so mad he was refusing to come foward and on the bit for me. He was throwing his head up and just flat out getting mad. I felt bad, I was riding so awful. But once we figured out a way to make it work, I did it right each direction and stopped. I think I may be overdoing it, I so want to get it right. I need to remember that a little goes a long way and too much just makes us both frustrated. 2nd lesson tonight. I know she will help me iron out a couple things again!

Turns out it wasn't my bad sitting trot at all. It was my bad hand and leg aids. My new trainer showed me some things tonight that really made some light bulbs go off. I think I will have a lot less trouble from here on out, although I still have a lot of work and practicing to do! She is really awesome. When we were done she said how pleased she was with me and that I am a very good rider. It means a lot to hear, because, coming from a western riding background, I feel really inadequate sometimes! So this was huge for me! [big Grin]

Thanks Boocoo- That's Awesome! It sounds like you have a very encouraging trainer that will help you succeed! I'm so excited for you and Beau [smile]

I bet it's nice warm down South...*sighs wistfully*

iluv- I think your rain came over to my state! It's been pouring all day. I'm just happy that it rained today and not last night during my lesson.

Dressage lesson this weekend [smile] yippee! I'm hoping that J will put me on her PSG horse again...

Nice pictures 3Day! Do you plan on ordering any?

Boocoo - don't worry, we all have "those rides". I am so glad your new trainer is working out nicely!!

Well the lack of rain didn't last long, it's starting to pour down again [Roll Eyes] We've had loootttsss of rain, we've had more rain since last Thursday to know than we usually get in the entire month of November!

I was planning on riding Alibi but it didn't work out, so tomorrow is "her day". I rode yesterday and her canter work was awesome. Teddy and her are opposites in that way...Ali's trot needs more work, and her canter is great, and Teddy's trot work is great but he needs more canter work [Razz] So I get to work on both!

Good news: I have found another possible horse to lease. He sounds wonderful! He is for lease and sale so if I can get Ali sold buying might be an option, but he is 16 and has done PSG solid (and can be again with more time) so I imagine his joints have had some strain, but 16 isn't old in my book, so we shall seen. I just need to rid myself of Ali! If anyone wants pictures and the price of the horse feel free to PM me!

[smiley Wavey]

Luv, I hope you don't drown with all that rain!

The weather here is unusually warm. I love it! Not even that humid. A breeze feels good, not like the full blown gales that kicked up every afternoon in Cal. This is nice.

I had a better ride today after my lesson last night. Started off with a short trail ride with another girl from the barn. Then I only worked for about 20 min. on my sitting trot to canter. We got it real well to the right, then i was kind of making him mad again going to the left, so I thought, hmmm, what am I doing wrong here. I went back to walk, started all over, walk to trot to walk to trot. That was going well so I asked for the canter to trot, to canter 3 times and they were all real nice so I stopped, gave him a loose rein and walked around the arena for 10 min. before stopping for the day! So I am pleased with that progress. And it's getting to the point where I don't even think about posting too much anymore! [big Grin]

Wow. Lots of goings on. Congrats on the shows and babies and everything!!

Ive recently found a horse that is 9 y/o Reg Hano gelding. 16H. He was solid 3rd lvel until last year when he sustained a suspensory injury and had a year off. I emailed back for more details on this injury. Anyways. Hes a good guy. Very mellow, given the clear from one of the TOP vet clinics to go ahead and start back to work. She is offering him for free lease for 6 months with option to buy. She has recently had spinal surgery and cannot ride as well. Im getting more details as I just replied to her this evening.. but while it sounds really good, I dont really know much about suspensory injuries in themselves. If anyone wants to see his pics, please PM me. Id love some serious feedback.

On the home front, I rode Layla last night and it was absolutely PERFECT. She was working so over her back and into my hand and just SO good. This saddle that I know is too tight on my butt fits her perfectly and I ride SO much better in it. If its so bad, why does it work so good?? LOL Good thing is that Sarah bought it so I have the joy to ride in it until I find one. I have two Keiffers coming tomorrow so we'll see how that works. Heres some pics.. Kind of a brag as I cant get over how good she looks!

-

-

[big Grin]

Hey everyone! Thanks for the congrats. I will post pictures of the baby and the new horse when I have time. Little Emma keeps me crazy busy.

I can't even keep up with reading posts!

Anyway, nothing new here besides the fact that winter seems to have arrived. We're having a thunderstorm, but instead of pouring rain, it's pouring hail. And the hail is piling up like snow. sigh. Baby and I are sitting inside wrapped in a million blankets.

Boocoo - I only post to warm up now [smile] I don't really miss it!

Krazy - cute pics. Layla is so pretty. I remember your saddle post, and I found a 19" Theo Sommer dressage saddle on the USDF Region 6 Classifieds. Let me know if you'd like the link the ad [smile] .

SG - can't wait for pictures! I am sure Emma is keeping you busy. I love the name, I have a cousin named Emma actually.

Well I have some interest in Alibi, just sent off pictures. I need to get some more recent ones, but they don't turn out so great in the indoor, even with the lights on, and since it getes so dang dark early here, combined with the rain (which means no riding outside...), its kind of hard. I am REALLY liking the sounds of the horse for sale/lease I found. He's an almost 16 year old imported Swedish WB gelding, very attractive. Has been shown through Prix St. George. I am planning on trying him out with my trainer, though I can't buy him (if we like him) until I sell Alibi. Cross your fingers she sells quickly!!

[smiley Wavey]

Good luck with Ali. Hope it all works out. I wish I could find SOMETHING at least like 2nd level to lease around here. Or even lesson on. Its quite hard.. and in a city that is TEAMING with horses.. its mostly H/J though.

I have 2 Kieffers in my tack room. They arrived today. Since I worked until 10, I only sat them on Layla. They both look like they fit VERY well on her. Both are cut back and theres NO way that saddle is touching her withers. Really fit well. I gotta pat myself on the back for that though b/c 4 yrs ago.. heck 2 yrs ago.. NOTHING fit this horse without a lot of pads. She had NO muscle.

Im going to try them both out tomorrow. They both look really nice and appear like they would work for me. Im just a little concerned as one measures on the larger end of 17.5 and the other right at 18. I know every saddle is different.. but I just dont know!

I bought wood and PVC this weekend. I have PVC poles that Ive cut into 2' sections. They are getting hammered into the ground 6" and then I bought pipe connectors for corners and T joints that I am sticking on the pipes. This allows me to run white plastic chain through the connectors and have a dressage arena. Im quite proud of myself. The pipe and connectors cost $30 but the chain will cost around $170 as I need about 400' of it. But around $200 for a darn good looking dressage arena? Not too bad! I got wood to make 6 raised cavaletti and 3 poles and 3 sets of jump standards. Very fun.

I have some extremely cute pics to post.. Check them out:

-

-

Yes, I finally got Randy on Layla. He was terrified to get on her. Just b/c shes so much taller than any horse hes been on and hes seen her when she used to be crazy. But he got on and even trotted once around the barn. Too cute. [big Grin]

[ 11-14-2006, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: KrazyTBMare ]

Luv, I think Beau appreciates it that I still post some! [bat Eyelashes][Razz]

Krazy, Randy looks great up there on Layla. Great pics. Where are the wedding pictures?

Finally moved into our new house. Haven't been on Beau since last Sun. [Eek!] He threw two shoes this week anyway, because we started turning him out in the HUGE pasture and man can he run!! New shoer came today and did a really nice job. I am going to try those Ol' Mac boots on his front for turn out. New living room and bedroom furniture came today too! Looks super nice. And...... finally got my computer hooked up to the internet. Just have not had time!!

Shantel, very cute pictures! I hope one of the saddles works out.

Boocoo - I bet you're glad to finally be in your home! How are your doggies doing?

I am going to try out a horse on Saturday and am quite excited! He is a 16.2/16.3hh imported Swedish gelding, almost 16 years old. Has been shown through Prix St. George but is just out of shape. I talked to his owner and he sounds absoloutely delightful! Cannot wait [big Grin]

One day, I am incrediably frustrated with the lack of response from the parentals about the notion of half-leasing, and I can't tell my trainer my goals because I don't know my goals and I want to half-lease Spec so bad and everything is NOT working out in riding and in friends and in school and--

Bam.

Today, I am overwhelmed with my options. My parents randomly communicated and agreed to half-lease Spectrum. But I was also offered to ride another horse that will take me farther than Spec ever will. And I don't know what to say. And everyone is waiting for my reply and I'm going crazy, caught between two opportunities that I don't know where they will lead.

Sorry for the rant

Luv, what happened with the horse you were going to try today? Thanks for asking about my dogs. They were so happy to get out of the kennel and into their new lovely, HUGE back yard! It has got to be the biggest back yard I have ever seen! [big Grin]

dobby, I am sure you will reach the right decision. I know that can be tough sometimes!

dobby - is the horse you've been asked to ride available for lease, or would it be one you could ride on occasion? You might be able to do both, depending on the situation.

Boocoo - that's great your dogs have a big back yard, I bet they appreciate it! The horse was very kind, but I don't think he is what I am looking for. He is not a YR horse, and that is my goal, but my mom, trainer and I discussed the whole YR thing. It takes a LOT of money to be able to go, and my parents simply don't have the funds to buy a YR-prospect, which would need to be trained, some, (and possibly started depending on age) by a professional, and that can add up pretty darn fast as well. Not to mention the time it takes to train a horse correctly. So we shall see. Thank you for asking though [smile]

Ahhh, Shelly, thanks for mentioning my visit!!! [big Grin] I have been off line this week since I killed the other computer while Brian was out of town...I will post one of our photos when I can get to them again!!!!

Ahhh...flying changes!!!! Let's see, Winston will probably never get them...Poet does them whenever you breathe...and Beckham, he just learned to canter. [big Grin]

I am so ready for the long weekend. I have a paper due tomorrow that I have procrastinated on waaaaayyyyyy too long. So today will probably be a long day. But then I only have classes Monday and Tuesday. And since I am staying in town, I'll have a five day weekend to spend with family, the doggies, and the horse. Hmmmm, I wonder what I should take for Thanksgiving dinner... Then the first barn holiday party will be next Saturday.

I have been very lucky in the place I found to board Fessor. Though I am not currently taking lessons, the trainer there has been giving me a few pointers now and then. She's a bit young, but also a LOT more experienced than I am. And she's willing to share some of her expertise even if you aren't paying for lessons. Heather helped me through a nervous tense bit of riding yesterday, and gave me some much needed insight. Like much of the tension was mine, not just Fessor's. And that we had some nice moments where I relaxed and he softened and we had some beautiful trotting. I guess Fess was really working from his hind end and had that nice reach from the shoulder and straight knee action that mimics the look of extension. [smile] I wish we had some video of that.

So, it appears I need to create some sort of mnemonic cue to relax physically and let go of tension. And I need to find a way to channel calm, soothing vibes even if I don't feel all that calm myself. And it would REALLY help if I could get more connected with my feelings. Tension and stress does carry over, and Fess picks up on that.

Heather also mentioned that Fess was most silly and spooky when I accidentally dropped rein contact. Poor blind guy has a rider who disappears at random. Oh, no! The dreaded handless horseman! lol. So I think the theme for the week is awareness. I need to focus on being aware every stride of what I'm telling Fessor and what he's telling me. I guess it's about attention span and really learning to ride every stride, every moment. Hopefully as I improve this awareness will allow us to progress when it is time to think of second level. Right now, on a good day we're pretty solid schooling first but no where near ready to advance past that. Realistically, we've had to back track to training level for awhile after so much time off. Thankfully, Fess is starting to feel more balance and able to hold a nice even rhythm.

I'm hoping that I will get enough $$$ for Christmas to take some regular lessons next year. I'll start with making sure all my bills are paid and current, but after that I'm hoping to set up a mini lesson/clinic fund. Of course, that means I won't buy a dressage pad and bridle... Then again, I won't need those until the summer when I'm hoping to take Fessor into a schooling show or two.

Tracy

Beckham - it must be really nice to have a schoolmaster to learn from!!

Tracy - it's amazing how much we effect our horses. I rode a sensitive Grand Prix schoolmaster once, and my wrists were stiff and he picked up on it...I wasn't even aware of it! On each horse I ride, no matter their temperment undersaddle, they all go much better when I am relaxed and supple. It's definitely not always easy!!

Luvhorses-Thanks, it is great...he certainly points out all of my flaws!!! [big Grin] Tension, weak seat...you name it! However, because he is sensitive he helps me see how my flaws affect how a horse goes...which in turn helps my other horses too:-) Isn't it crazy how something as simple as wrists can make a difference??

Somebody shoot me please. [bang Head] Why is it that I froze up trying to write the one paper worth the MOST points in our writing class? Said paper feels like the weakest piece of doodoo that I have written in a long time. All because I got performance anxiety over writing a paper. I suppose I'll pass the course, but if I do any better than that I'll be surprised. [surrender] Oh, well. It's only one class.

I wonder if taking Xanex would have helped? I didn't have that useful thought until this morning, too late to do any good. [Duh] I guess it's time to find a good psychotherapist. Maybe a combination of finding why I'm sabotaging myself getting hung up on relatively minor issues combined with a kick in the backside will help me next time.

Ah, well. After today I can get some sleep and have time to ride the pony on a more regular basis. Yay for ponies. [Cool]

Tracy

Well I had a nice, productive lesson yesterday. We worked on lots!: shoulder-in, haunches-in, renver, and then switching from shoulder-in to renver to shoulder-in....we also worked on our trot half pass, and also doing multiple shoulder-in to half pass 'transitions'. In the canter we did our three loop serpentines, shoulder-in, haunches-in, counter counter, walk-canter-walk transitions, and *gasp* a FLYING CHANGE!!! I got Teddy to change, but it came on so fast that I kind of got 'discombobulated' and so right after the change (which was decent) I let Teddy trot [Roll Eyes] But for our first time, what the heck! And my next lesson I get to ride in a double bridle [Jump] I am very excited!

I am going to advertise Alibi in a few horse-related magazine publications, so hopefully that will help spread the word and generate some more interest. I need to get a nice photo up on DreamHorse, but with the not-so-nice weather (and that's an understatement!!) lately, it's been near impossible. I also found about 15 Arabian related boarding/training/breeding stables in my area, and mailed them a couple flyers of Alibi's for-sale ad. Keep your fingers crossed!

[smiley Wavey]

Tracy you probably didn't do as bad as you think you did. Hang in there till you see your grade.

luv, your lesson sounds great. Riding in a doulbe is a trip, eh? He he. I started getting a slight handle on it on day two of riding the GP horse last weekend. I have sure been struggling with my rides on Beau. Getting him to supple into the outside rein and have a soft giving inside rein all at the sitting trot is a challenge for me, I tell ya! I gave up yesterday and today and longed him in side reins and don't ya know, he did the same thing as when I was riding him, so I didn't feel so bad, I know it's a balance issue for him. We have our work cut out for us this winter. Sigh!

Just thought I'd butt in here and say hi! [smiley Wavey] I'm really liking this board so far. Everyone seems very helpful and full of encouragement! I'm excited to share my experiences with beginning dressage with you all.

Here is my boy:

-

Known as Robbie. A 6y/o breeding stock paint gelding. I bought him when I was 13 and trained him all by myself. He's my baby and has taken me everywhere. We've started a new chapter in our lives and he is very enthusiastic about dressage! [Yay]

Thanks, Boo. I'm feeling better after talking with some of my classmates today. No one sounded comfortable with this assignment, so hopefully the prof will be generous. Or the curve will be somewhat lower for this paper... Either way, I'll survive.

My torts professor cancelled tomorrow afternoon's class, so I'll be done with classes for the week at 10:00 tomorrow morning. Then it is time to relax, start outlining, and update the resume. [smile] I found some listings for summer postions for next year. A couple of them are even PAID positions. That would be perfect! Real experience AND a salary are hard to come by with only one year of law school to offer. Hopefully the CPA will set me apart from the competition.

Tracy