Sign in to follow this  
FleckenAwesome

yay breakthrough

Yay! so.... we had a breakthrough! with me too! not my horse.

my trainer had a horse show a couple of weekends ago...just a little schooling show and her judge is also her friend. Well, i bought my horse from my trainer two years ago. And friend/judge knew that. So judge tells trainer "tell that girl to sit up and back and her horse will go better for her". So... halfway through my lesson...which we were doing a great exercise...at c, circle 20 meter circle, then at c circle 15 meter circle, then at c circle a 10 meter circle, then start a 15 meter circle but leg yield back to the rail. So we were doing that and all of a sudden, my trainer says SIT BACK! then she said...wait, stop... and we talked and decided to spend the rest of the lesson working on me. So i was trained hunter/jumper so i tend to perch. so she had me roll my shoulders back, but i was still forward. So then i had to lean way back and i felt like i was way backwards but was actually just straight. and instead of sitting on my crotch i was sitting on my buttbones [smile] it was hard and she spent the next 20 minutes reminding me to stay there. And my feet were flopping like crazy but it was amazing the difference in my seat! DUH!!!!! i knew i sat too far forward but i didn't realize it was so bad until i actaully sat like i was supposed to. i thought i was just leaning, but didn't realize i was actually perched on my seat too. So fleck was so much more responsive as i was riding him with my seat instead of my hands [smile] it was great! i got the best canter ever out of him and he was much more relaxed and uphill. he's built a bit downhill so it's a constant battle but when i sat up... so could he [smile] it was great! now i just have to get stronger and work on my floppin' feet. I swear, i couldn't keep them in the stirrups. I kept wanting to point my toe, cause if i dropped my heel, it would pull me forward. my trainer said it would take time to strengthen and it would be better [smile]

but i'm so excited. it was such a great feeling.

thanks for letting me share! i was just excited and the husband doesn't quite get it [smile]

That is really, really, really fantastic!!!! And there was an article the last two months (a part 2 article) on sitting the trot. But an awful lot of the information would be really helpful with just learning to sit "dressage" vs hunt seat.

One really neat thing is when you get to the point where your seat is "with" the horse every step and swing, you'll never want to go back. It's an exciting feeling.

Your instructor is right. It takes time, practice and strength (especially abs! That's right .... strong core strength will quiet those feet!)

And ask your instructor if in your next lesson you can ride the WHOLE THING without irons (just take the leathers off the saddle.) And work on you again (along with your horse, but always focusing on you.)

Yippppeeeeee!!!!!!!

thanks! yeah... we mentioned stirrupless. i have a lesson next week so i'll do it stirrupless ( i hope i can make it)! it was soooooo much more comfortable [smile] and i'll practice stirrupless tomorrow too [smile]

thanks!

Good news fleck!

I'm feeling your pain making the transition from a hunter seat to dressage. Same deal here! Drives me absolutely flippin mad sometimes.

I love no stirrup lessons, they are totally awesome! Some lessons, we just cross my stirrups for a bit. When I take them back, I am better. BUT without them, I ride so much better.

One day I was foolin around bareback. My trainer was watching me for a bit. Get this, my position was better saddless than with! [Me Cry] LOL!

That's great!! I can't imagine what it's like going from hunter to dressage. What a different feel

You should ask for a lunge lesson, if you really want to work on just your position. Then you don't have to worry about your horse and can just concentrate fully on you as the rider. I loveeee lunge lessons! Good luck!

thanks guys!

bend n flex.... i bet it's not that bad! i bet it was meant as a compliment!! my horsey is not too comfy bareback...those withers!

3day, my trainer has done a lunge lesson with my friend and she loved it. i may have to do that. although bless his heart, good ol' fleck just kept on trucking around. i hardly used my reins at all and he actually got into a really nice gait [smile] it was awesome!

we jumped today and he was fantastic also. i tried to apply a bit more of my dressage seat and get my dressage canter to the jumps and he was jumping better even! he tends to get downhill and roll his shoulder, but when i sat back..he didn't [smile] and our canter felt awesome! but tomorrow it's back to dressage!

thanks again! i love having our own little group of personal cheerleaders! it's great!

Yay Fleck! I was started with a dressage instructor but had to switch to someone who taught H/J for awhile and now I'm back to dressage so my seat is all screwed up! It's kind of funny now looking back and remembering the H/J girl yelling at me to sit on my crotch and contrasting that to my current instructor scolding me for perching on my saddle. I definitely take my hat off to all of you who event because I would never be able to switch back and forth like that. [Confused]

Seriously fleck, take 3Day's advise on the lunge lesson! I used to have one once a week. She used to always tell me "today is YOUR day, it's all about you today girl!"

And a lunge lesson with no stirrups! Now, that is doing some work. I loved it. Imagine canter to trot transitions, and lots of em. If you can stay in balance for those, I swear I felt like I could leap a building with a single bound! YES! After a lunge lesson, I could barely move my arms to groom the horse when we were done. Phew, hard work I tell ya!

Fleck, I have been working on really sitting up, rolling my shoulders back, opening my chest and keeping my elbows at my side WITHOUT locking everything up for so long now, that I can't even tell you. I get there, and I know I am sitting on my seatbones using them, but Julie, my trainer, tells me I'm not REALLY connected yet. I need to really sit and USE my seat. I'll get it for a few strides here or there, then I'll get distracted and forget to work on it. Finally, finally, finally I have gotten to the point where I feel like my seat is totally connected, and REALLY CONNECTED, every stride, every ride without having to focus on it. My shoulders are back. They still get a little tense and high at times, but it is sooo much better, and Raz is going way better than he ever has. You have to just work on this consistently every lesson for months and months until you feel that totally connected feeling. I still lose it in lateral work. I pull my leg up during lateral work rather than stretching it down, so I have some no-stirrup lateral work in the months ahead of me this winter to try to sort out that last remaining issue.

Just keep working on it, Fleck, because it is simply the most amazing feeling ever - especially when you turn across that diagonal and ask for a medium trot and can take both legs TOTALLY OFF the horse's sides and not even move because your seat is THAT connected. Now that is a great feeling. Now I just need to figure out how to keep that feeling at shows!! HA!!

~Shelly~

YAY! i'm so proud of everyone! Excellent work to all! I definately am going to have many many long months ahead of me to get it down pat! too bad i horse show in 1 weekend! ack! oh well. maybe it'll help. i think i'll have to go back a bit as i look so sloppy at the moment, but we'll see. I'll definately talk to my trainer about lunge lessons. that would definately let me work on me. and i'll do some sans stirrup work at home too. it was almost easier without the stirrups the other day as i didn't feel like i had to keep reaching for them and throwing my seat off, but... that was only for a few strides. it's gonna be SO HARD to do a whole lesson. kudo's to all of you buff peeps that can do it. I'll work on it [smile]

i'm so excited about it! it was an amazing feeling that two strides of it i got it [smile] and the difference in him and his transitions was already noticeable.

i'm so excited! i never thought dressage could be this exciting. my old mare was not a dressage mare, so it's so much fun now that my gelding is good at it [smile] It's more fun than jumping sometimes! [Wink]

Well Fleck, sounds like an awesome breakthrough. I know I need more work without stirrups. It's really hard on my horse. He tends to freak out. I know, sounds weird, but he has some weird ex-race horse issues! But I am working on sitting the trot and my new instructor showed me some great things last night. So we are all on our way! Glad you had such a great lesson!

Sitting back is hard, so very hard!! Once you get used to it then eveything will be easier. Now that you know how your horse goes when you do lean back, he'll now be able to tell you when you're foward.

Bend n Flex, I'm the same way bareback. The only time I can get Em to do decent flying changes is when I ride saddleless! Now that it's almost winter I put my saddle away and ride bareback almost everyday. Really works on seat, especially if you go out on trails. You learn quick how to stay on going up and down hills at a gallop!

Hey Meg!

I'd really like to go bareback all winter long. Since all we are really going to be doing trail riding anyway.

BUT! If he takes a poo, I MUST get off and dust it to the side....now, I can see some difficulties in getting back on!? LOL! [Embarrassed]

hee hee. that cracks me up bendnflex... you mean you have to swipe the poo off the trail? wow....can you come visit my house! i bet you're house is super clean [smile] yeah....getting on bareback does pose some problems. Usually though you can find a tree branch or log pile or rock to get back on with. but....not always. [smile]

yep, definately feels so much better. rode again and worked on it and it's HARD! but it's not as exhausting as i thought and it actually doesn't make me as sore as i thought [smile] i'm still having to focus on not letting my feet flop. course when i work on my feet my body goes forward....so it's gonna take A LONG TIME to figure it out [Wink] but i got time [smile]

that being said... i jumped today and he was so much quieter and softer and jumping better. BUT i kept my shoulders back and sat more upright. He likes it, flecky likes it [smile]

oooh, i wish fleck was more comfy bareback. he's got a big prominent spine and big ol' withers! ouch! not like my big fat rolypoly couch mare... maybe i'll get on her and work on it. now that's an idea [smile]

I was just going to go back and edit my post and ask if there were any recent rides, or updates!

So did you do a stirrupless lesson, a lounge lesson or both?

And yeah, getting off each and every time for a poo is a major pain in the ole neck! See, our place is right smack in the middle of a conservation area. All well groomed bush trails. So the public use the trails more than the horses do. Lots of bikes, lots of joggers...you name it. They complain HUGE if you don't dust it to the side. When people trailer in with a bunch of horses, they never do it. If we don't keep it clean, they will ban the horses for good. So if we see a couple of trailers pull in, we generally go and do a major clean up. Can't get it all cause well, there are over 400 acres of conservation area. I'm pretty creative on mounting in the middle of the bush...but have never done it without a stirrup to slip my foot into! LOL!

hee hee. you just need to teach him to bow down [smile] my little mare was small enough i could just swing up on her, but it's not the most graceful (or comfortable i'm sure). That's soooo great that you have that much land to ride on. I bet it's awesome! i've been riding at the horse park and it's nice, but 400 acres! wow! and kudos' to you for cleaning up.

So... i didn't do a stirrupless ride. i just rode but worked on it. i have a big show next weekend (three phase) so it's a bit too last minute to try and change everything at once, so we did some sitting trot work but also some posting trot work. both with the shoulders back and sitting up. and then i've been jumping alot too. and it helps there too! this weekend i have to work, so no riding. but on monday and wed i plan on doing dressage again. So...although i'll work on it, i am going to have to sacrifice a bit so my feet aren't flopping like crazy at the show. then once i'm home again i'll work on it again. but....it's so hard cause i know it's rigth and it feels better. too bad i can't glue my stirrups to my feet! they just start to slip and end up with the bars way up against the boot heel. my friend suggested i think of holding robin eggs with my foot but not crushing them. OOPS! I killed alot of baby birds that night [smile] so hopefully i can find a happy place before next weekend and then go back to seriously fixing it once it's over.

how're things with your guy?

The baby birds! Reminds me of a Sally Swift video I watched. She talked about our hands and think of little birds in our hands....the idea was so that we didn't KILL the poor little bird with our horrible and nasty hands!

I do the same thing with my feet. I feel for you. I think I have heard just about every explination under the sun as to why on earth I keep doing it!

I think it is because I don't drop enough from the waiste with my leg. When I give an aide, up comes the lower leg, down goes to toe, up comes the heel. Errrrr, it is just nasty and when I get after myself for that, then I forget about all the other stuff I have to work on. Round and round we go!

I cannot imagine, doing dressage one lesson. Then switch to jumping the next. I'd be an absolute mess. Kudos to you for doing it and having so much fun in the process! I'd be rippin my hair out! LOL!

nah... it's easy! we switch saddles and we switch bridles and off we go [smile] it's a nice mental break for fleck too. and me [smile]

but back to the legs.... i do THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!! i cna't figure out why my leg comes up and my heel comes up and my toe comes down, when in my mind i'm thinking of stretching down and applying my calf to my horse.... it's so frustrating! i dont' feel like i'm pinching with my knee, but maybe that's part of it.... argh... if you come up with any magic solutions, please let me know! and yep, the second i go to fix my leg, forward slunching go my shoulders and i tend to start to roll forward onto my crotch.

oh well. lots of time working on it and getting stronger i guess.

poor baby robins [Frown]