Sign in to follow this  
Palimino56

Young horse training ?

quote:

Originally posted by lightness:

A good rider does not necessarily make a good trainer and of course, the opposite is also true.

Let me add that in the OP the writer stated that the horse had a tendency to travel with her head straight up in the air and had developed a large under muscle (ewe neck). This means she has already developed resistances that need to be addressed and is not a "clean slate" that an "experienced rider" can develope even though she is only 3. She needs a trainer who can recognize why and how to correct this before any true progress can be made. JMHO

I do see your point, but once again I can't afford it. That's why I posted on here, to get some advice which I have gotten. I would honestly LOVE to be able to trailer her to train, but it's impossible (also we have had a ton of snow and the roads are icey, so I wont risk it). And like I said, she's already learning how to not have her head straight up in the air. I am riding her the way a friend of mine (used to be pres. of AHHA and accomplished training, but sadly can't make it out to my place that often) has told me to do. All of his horses have been started this way and they all turn out great. I guess the internet always sends different messages lol.

oh i forgot to make my suggestion everyone may not agree i dont want to start anything but since you dont like to use side reins maybe you could use a training fork it also helps to keep the head lowered just a suggestion