Sign in to follow this  
SightUnseen

Dressage Chit-Chat Thread Volume 13!

Here we go Boocoo! New thread [smile]

iluv- It's a Samsung and I'm not sure the specific type? My dressage trainer shoots the names down...lol. Oh well.

I know how crowded rings go. Tonight at my new barn there was a ton of people! I didn't ride...I try to ride when I know there is the least amount of ppl to worry about. I'm such a ring hog. I use like every imagineable space.

dobby- [smile] So glad Spec was a good boy. haha OMG I was just thinking about driving down to Dover Saddlery this week. Did you go to their new one? Or to the one in DE? You can never have too many saddle pads! They are one of my fav things to buy.

Shelly- Long time no see, stranger! Thanks Scotch did have a good trip down. They have huge huge pastures where they can turn out 4-5 horses...but I'm now thankful that he is all alone in the stallion pasture. [big Grin] hah! Crowded home rings certainly makes your horse unflappable at crazy rings at shows. Glad to hear that your boy is doing well.

Boocoo- lol does Beau launch some high bucks?

I actually got my clippers to work with much growling. There were a lot of ppl at the barn today. And they were all very friendly. So this is a good thing! Anyways Scotch is officially clipped, just have to do some touch ups tomorrow. Will get pics of my naked boy!

Hope everyone had a great day!

3Day--AH! I went to the one in DE. It would have been SOOOOO weird if we were both there at the same time and didn't know it. I saddles and boots in there until I saw the price tags. [Razz] You are right about the saddlepads though! I came home very proud of myself and my mother was like "Why did you get saddlepads? You just use [your instructor's]!" But I don't care. These are the first saddlepads that are truly my own. I own them, I am going keep them clean, and use them when I want and I am so excited, haven't you noticed? Sometimes I think I type a little too much... [big Grin]

On the other hand, you might want to cover poor Scotch's nudity up with a blanket so he doesn't get humiliated afront of the ladies. [Razz]

Dobby- LoL! That would of been weird!! I want to go down to the DE (its closer). Silly mothers! The first 3 years I was riding/competeing I didn't own a horse. But my first event I bought everything for the horse I was riding. I think its so much more fun having your own equipment to use...it made me feel more like an owner. [Wink]

And of course Scotch has a sheet and his cute medium weight Rhino blanket. So he snug like a bug in a rug. It's so funny, because everyone that goes by him has to stop and pet him. He's like the only pony on the farm. He thinks he's pretty hott stuff....let alone all those ladies out in the pasture. [Roll Eyes]

Heather was kind enough to shoot some video of Fessor and me this evening. So hopefully with a minimum of editing I will have a video to send in with the application for the Jane Savoie clinic in March. I'll pick up a VHS tape in the morning. I have to say that seeing myself on the small video camera screen makes me realize that I need to lose some weight. I look like a big blob up there. [Embarrassed] Ah, well. At least Fessor looks good!

Not too much to report from here. School is out for another couple of weeks, so I am getting lots of horsie time. After a couple spooky weeks, Fess and I have calmed down again. What a strange phase we went through. Oh, and I got a few strides of a decent collected canter this evening. I was *trying* to get a canter trot transition with no reins. Instead, I got a smaller and smaller canter. We'll figure it out. I'm still trying to get a handle on the half halt, but Fessor had the right basic reaction.

Tracy

quote:

Originally posted by 3DayEventer:

Dobby- LoL! That would of been weird!! I want to go down to the DE (its closer). Silly mothers! The first 3 years I was riding/competeing I didn't own a horse. But my first event I bought everything for the horse I was riding. I think its so much more fun having your own equipment to use...it made me feel more like an owner.
[Wink]

And of course Scotch has a sheet and his cute medium weight Rhino blanket. So he snug like a bug in a rug. It's so funny, because everyone that goes by him has to stop and pet him. He's like the only pony on the farm. He thinks he's pretty hott stuff....let alone all those ladies out in the pasture.
[Roll Eyes]

Teddy has a Rhino too, what color is yours? Well I definitely like the sounds of your camera, but I'm one of those people who try and get sales, lol.

dobby - I think I'm addicted to saddle pads! I really want to get some more colorful ones, like pink and blues. Unfortunately there are no Dover's even close to me, but my parents would tell you that's a good thing [Wink]

Tracy - crossing my fingers you get picked for the clinic, that would be fantastic, and you can at least audit and I'm sure learn lots that way too.

I really want to attend the next clinic in February, I just have to get the money together, or at least most of it, as it's $105 for a 30 minute ride - well worth it though, and the clincian, Christian, usually goes over the 30 minutes anyways [Razz]

TracyA- Good luck!! Keep us updated on how it goes!

iluv- Seriously it must be us pony girls. Scotch's blanket is *whispers* purple checkered and dark blue with some other colors. His heavy blanket is...ahhh bright Magenta! But I couldn't pass up on the deal. As for the camera...it is very nice, I normally go for the deals unless like this it was a gift heheheh! What color his Teddy's blankie?

That's not to bad for a clinic fee, but bummer about it being "30" mins. I think you should do it!!! Is the clinic at your farm?

3Day - haha, I guess so [big Grin] ! Teddy's is a navy plaid. It looks very cute on him, though next year I plan on getting a high neck Weatherbeeta for him, and I am hoping to get a pink or magenta color [Razz] . The clinic fee is definitely reasonable, compared to many others I have seen. The clinic is at my trainer's instructor's barn. The clinician has been coming there on a regular basis (every six to eight weeks, and he flys in from Germany) for quite some time, and my trainer rides with him almost everytime he teaches. So, I get a free ride with my trainer and the barn is only about a 20-25 minute haul, so it's pretty convienent. If I get to go in February, it will be my third time with this particular clinician [smile] I hope I can go!

Shelly, so glad to have you back on the boards! Layla is like Raz. Couldnt buck undersaddle if she wanted to. And Lord knows Ive pushed her to the point where she *should* have! Ive only seen her buck in the field a handful of times, and only one time was before we moved here. Shes much more mentally and physically comfortable here, and is more of a HORSE here. So nice!

dobby, how I wish I could go into the actual DOVER store! *drool* or how about Dressage Extensions!!! AHHHH!!

ANOTHER late Xmas present came tonight for me. My mom WAY over did it, as always. Schneiders has these really cool wall organizers for the tack room and/or your trailer that hang over the wall. I got a corner one and now the small flat one. So awesome!

Work was work again. I took over 170 calls, which is RIDICULOUS!! Again, we turned off selling for like 3 hours. Over 70 people on hold for like 4 hours. I got all my sales in prior to them turning off the sales, so I got my points, but with me taking THAT many calls, who knows where Ill be at % wise.

I have decided to go back to school. I was origionally going for Dental Hygiene however its a FT school that you have to go to M-F 8-5 so I couldnt afford that. So now Ive "lower" my goals in a way and have decided to pursue dental assisting. Its an 8 month long certification, however, I get immediate job placement assistance, and I can move up to hygienist if Id like to. Im going Friday to tour the campass and get all the details. Im scared its going to be expensive.. but I guess you have to make sacrafices like that.. Its from ACT (Advanaced Career Training). Ive researched and they ARE accredited.

One thing really aggravated me today though. A girl who works with me on my team went back to school as well to go study being a paralegal. Well she told our manager that she was going to have to go to another team to have it work with her schedule. Well he didnt want her to leave SO badly, that he made it so that the company would work with her schedule as long as she needed to keep her with us. I approached him about the same thing and he told me they would work with me breifly but they would expect me to move to a different team that was more within my hours. ***?! Excuse my french but seriously. How can they do one thing for someone but turn around and do the complete opposite for me? There is a LOT of unfairness in how the members of my team are treated. I told my friend Daniel who I always vent to whos on the team, and like 4-5 other people feel the same and are ready to leave the team due to it. I know theres ALWAYS political BS in the big companies, but this isnt even the who you know type thing. This is the manager playing favorites, even though I perform just as well as this other girl does, if not better. We have both had compliance issues, we both went over our unplanned time. She gets the privilage to key in when we log on and off the phone to keep us adhering to our schedules. Well she will key in her own VTO or planned time without manager approval. Things that if they found out, shed be fired! But noooo, shes a wonderful little angel. BLAH! Im not going to stir the pot but it just angers me.

Anyways.. Im off to bed. Have to go in 1 hr early tomorrow. Night.

About riding in a crowded ring – it is GREAT practice. I do it almost every time I ride. Not by choice, but by necessity. My barn is a busy barn so the ring almost always has 5 horses in it – never more because of the 5 horse limit. You get REALLY GOOD at learning how to call out what you are doing before you do it, how to plan out your next movement, how to ride with other people, how LOOK UP and judge what other people are doing and where they will be in the next 2-3 minutes so you can plan your next movement, AND you also get really good at half passing or leg yielding directly AT another horse and rider and brushing past them with inches to spare. The horses get used to it. You know which horses and riders can handle it and which can not. It is like an advanced unplanned pas de deux. The horses become accustomed to the close riding. It is very common to be doing a shoulder in down the long side and have another rider doing a travers the opposite way down the long side directly at you. Follow ring rules – pass left shoulder to left shoulder, so call it out, whoever is tracking right calls inside and 5-6 strides prior to a head on collisions takes a couple of leg yield strides onto the second track, passes the other rider, then leg yields back to the rail, never losing the shoulder-in or traver – or if that is too much for your horse, do a 10m volte to allow the other horse to pass, then continue on with the shoulder-in or traver. Same with the diagonal – two horses passing in opposite directions pass left shoulder to left shoulder on the diagonal. Circles always take the inner take the inner track and diagonals should never interrupt a circle so try to time your diagonal so as not to hit the horse on the circle, but instead cut through the circle at a time convenient to the horse on the circle. The most important thing is to always be LOOKING UP and planning where you are going to me in the next 2-3 movements. Especially when you have a horse coming at you on the rail and one on a circle. Then you need to go in between two horses. That can get a little tight and needs to be very precise!!!!

You SHOULD be able to work in situations like this no problem. This is EXCELLENT practice for showing, and I’m grateful that my arena gives me the opportunity to test my skills in this fashion. I have the option to ride later in the evening if I choose when there is NO ONE at all in the ring, and I do that twice a week. Those are the times when I can work on complex schooling patterns uninterrupted, though at this point, I do school such things as 5 loop counter canter serpentines in the crowded arena just to test Raz. When I think something is confirmed, I ride it in the crowded arena to test him. I ride in a crowded arena at least twice a week to practice our skills and make sure we are “on”. It helps keep us honest in front of that many eyes, and in that sort of an environment Raz is always a little hotter and jazzier to ride which is good.

Luv – Yes, Raz is a total goofball. The few times he has tried to buck, he hasn’t been able to get his back feet more than 6 inches off the ground. Took me a few seconds to figure out what he was attempting to do, then it got me to laughing so hard I almost fell off anyway!! That is a good price on the clinic. Hope you get to go to it.

Dobby – You can’t trust Spec to do the steering in a crowded arena. He is relying on you to guide him through the landmines of other horses and riders. That is your job, not his. Don’t dump your responsibilities onto him. You expect him to do his work, well you have to do yours as well. Spec has no way of telling what the other riders are going to do before they do it. You do. You can listen to what the trainer is telling the students to do and adjust for that. You can hear when riders call out. You know how other riders normally ride – they have certain patterns they usually follow. So STOP looking at Spec’s ears. You know what color his ears are. Now LOOK UP. Use your ears to listen to what the other riders and trainers are saying. Look around at what everyone is doing and plan your ride. When things are really zooey, CALL OUT what you are doing so that other riders will know what your plans are. Also, be aware of what is BEHIND you. If you are going to halt on the rail from a trot or canter, check over your shoulder to make sure no one is riding up your tail before you suddenly slam on the brakes with no warning!!! If you leave it up to Spec, you will lose his trust.

Boocoo – It is simply amazing what our equine companions are capable of when they are uncomfortable. They certainly let us know in no uncertain terms. I hope he is feeling 110% better by the time your visit with your mom is over!! Definitely don’t need a repeat of that rodeo scene.

3Day – You are trying to sell Scotch, right?? How about “Gotta Have Scotch” HA!!!!! Sorry, couldn’t resist. I’m sure your trainer will shoot that one down to, but it has a ring to it. Or how about “Love My Scotch”. Honestly, I really like “Scotch Whiskey”. Okay, getting away from the liquor theme, which is hard for me since we own a liquor store and just finished doing the annual inventory [bang Head] how about “Hop Scotch”. SHAME ON YOU!!!!! I can’t believe you didn’t ride just because the ring was crowded. Get your butt into that ring and work it, girl!!! Take advantage of that arena and use every inch of space. Teach that pony to work in tight with those other horses. Don’t shy away from such a great opportunity. Most people don’t get chances to train in such a situation, then they get to a crowded show warm up ring and can’t warm up properly and have a terrible ride in the dressage ring. You are a fantastic rider, and there is no reason why you and Scotch can’t handle a crowded arena. Don’t let me hear that you shied away from such a situation again!! Glad to hear Scotch is finally clipped. Urrrggghhh, it’s time to RE-CLIP Razzle. He is such a good boy about it, but what a HAIRY process!!!! I HATE getting all that hair all through EVERYTHING you are wearing right down to your underwear. Doesn’t seem to matter how many layers you are wearing!!!

Tracy – GOOD LUCK getting selected for the clinic!! Keep us posted. Glad to hear you and Fess are getting some good time in over break to sort some things out. You needed this “non-stress” time together.

Krazy – HA!!! Julie and I “broke” Razzle a long time ago, by accident. About a year after I got him, we were trying to teach him haunches-in. He just could not get it. We spent an entire lesson approaching it from every angle Julie know, but the horse just could NOT understand which part of his body he was supposed to move in (though he will fall in with his haunches on a regular basis). Finally Julie had me come to the center of the ring and halt. She had me holding with both my reins and really sitting into him with my seat and driving aids, both legs on asking for the haunches-in at the halt. She had ahold of his inside bit ring helping out. She had me holding my whip in my outside hand and told me to give him a tap on the outside flank to get him to just take one step over with his hind end. Well he had been threatening all lesson with baby hops to rear which, at the time, his “out” when he felt trapped. Well I gave him a BABY TAP with the whip. He couldn’t see the door we left open for him (hind end step over) and totally panicked feeling trapped. Well he lost it, went straight up in the air. He had NEVER actually reared like that before. Now being a considerate horse, he didn’t want to hit Julie, so he decided to try to BACK UP while rearing. Being a clumsy horse, he lost his balance. I felt him go past the point of vertical and knew he was going over backwards, so I, being smart, decided to BAIL. I went to push off his neck to get as far away from him as possible, and I could feel his anger change to fear as he realized I was deserting him!!! Somehow my pushing off him knocked him back past vertical, and he managed to come back down onto all four feet with me wrapped around his neck. Julie grabbed the reins, and I scrambled back up into the saddle. He has NEVER tried anything since then. You can push him and push him and push him and push him and push him to where he should BLOW. You know he is PISSED beyond belief at you, and he is grinding his teeth, but he won’t do anything besides maybe kick out with a single hoof.

Krazy – About the job – when I was in sales (not the same company as you), I ran into the same type of thing that you are running up against now. The manager playing favorites. They totally lied to me about how bonuses were paid out. They kept changing “goals” and what we had to do to meet our requirements in order to make our bonuses. And time off?? Please!! There was no such thing. It was god awful. And the day I gave my two week notice and announced I was resigning . . . OMG!!! They told me I had 10 minutes to clean out my desk and leave. They would give me my two weeks severance pay. So I guess what I am saying is be careful with this type of company. I know you are unhappy and searching for what else you can do. I think going back to school is a FANTASTIC idea. It will open a whole new world of possibilities for you. Yes, you will suffer some at first with the cost of school, but look at the long term. It is well worth it. In the meantime, if you intend to try to stick with this current job while you complete your schooling, watch your step. On the other hand, remember that school is going to be stressful in and of itself, and a job that causes you so much unhappiness and stress might not be the best compliment for school. Perhaps finding a part time job that better suits your school schedule would be more advantageous to you performing better in school. If your current job isn’t going to contribute to your schooling, which I doubt they will, then perhaps it is time to change jobs before you begin a grueling new regimen. Just something to think over. Good luck, and I know you will do well with whatever you choose to do. Keep us posted.

~Shelly~

I am hoping to work outside in the outdoor arena today, if the arena has dried out enough. It has been freaky warm here this week. I mean really, fifty degrees in early January? It feels more like mid March, mild and muddy.

On the video we got last night, Fess and I had a decent ride. Not our best, but definitely not our worst either. Should I try to get a ride of us near our best? I will probably just slightly edit what I have and send in a more representative ride. I was at least in "near clinic" attire. That is clean boots, breeches, turtle neck, and velvet helmet. About the only thing I'd add would be gloves and polishing the boots for me and clipping the fetlocks and bridle path for Fessor if I wanted to get fancy for the video.

Tracy

CK apparently ran for 8 hours straight yesterday on turnout. Craaaazy boy. I can't waiiit to see what he looks like when I get up there. At least I'm paying someone to groom him. Imagine him not being groomed for 3 weeks and being outside every day in the mud. He'd be horrendous.

Dobby bought PRETTY saddle pads. [big Grin] I got her to buy the white one with pink trim.

Hopefully a lesson Monday pm with a trainer that'll work with CK and I on our jump work. Until then, I'm just reading a lot of Dressage Today and classical dressage books. I may spend tonight at Borders just reading [Wink]

Tracy - Be "happy" with what you have. Plan to send it in. And if you have the time and opportunity, try for some more video not planning on really using it because you "already have your video done". That is usually when you get your best stuff because the pressure is off to GET THE VIDEO!!! If you don't get around to doing more taping, no problem. If you do, great. If it is better, wonderful. If not, no problem. Definitely dress clinic like. You want to impress. Good luck and keep us posted.

~Shelly~

Shantel - I like the sounds of your wall organizers. I think I want to get one for horse shows, to hang in the trailer and the tack stall at the show itself. I wish you all the luck in going to back to school, it sounds like it's definitely time to move on to a new job!! I am sure you will do great [smile]

Shelly - I totally agree, being able to manuveur around horses and people, while actually doing movements, is a skill that is important. Where I board there are only four other boarders besides me, and the maximum amount of people I ride with is three, so I imagine my skills aren't too sharp anymore. At one show I went to, a recognized one, I had to warm up on the racetrack because the indoor had about 8 horses in it. One adult even started to cry because she hadn't cantered! I just felt thankful I had a pony (Teddy) because I imagine it's harder to do circles on a rand such on a racetrack while riding a large horse!

Tracy - definitely dress nicely, as it sounds like you're doing, as you want to make the best impression you can.

Bad news here - I just got an email from my farrier, who has stopped shoeing. She was supposed to do Teddy's feet and my two friends (including bazooka, aka Maya), but did not get to due to the holidays...the horse's were due around Dec. 21st, so I feel rather stressed to get them done. However, my farrier (well now former farrier!) did reccomend someone who she said would do our horse's feet like she has done them, but I know NIL about her experience as farrier, so I guess I'll be giving her a call and hopefully will work something out. Ugh....

Ahhhhh!

iluv- lol Scotch has the High neck weatherbeeta one! It sounds like that clinic is fun! I hope you are able to do it!! I'm putting up pics of Scotch in that Rhino blanket...i guess it dark blue w/ purple lines?

Krazy- I think you are making the right decision about school. Bummer about favorites. I hate how that happens in the work force...or anywhere in particular. Ugh!!

Shelly- LoL!!! Sadly, I'm trying to sell Scotch as much as I don't want to. Those are some good names. I keep getting drawn to the liquor names as well...lol. And its not b/c I own a liquor store. I didn't know you owned one. How cool!! Have any good wine recommendation?? I'm personally more of a white kind of girl [big Grin]

Awh Raz! I bet that was an adventureous day! He sounds like he's a good boy though. sometimes you just gotta rattle their cage. I had to rattle Remy's cage when to really get him to engage....oooo he would get so mad.

AHHH!! *hides from Shelly* I know, but I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for me to ride him in a crowded ring. I didn't really have time after clipping him as well. It was nearly 8pm by the time I finished. And I'm still not completely finished. Have to do touch ups. hehe. Next time I will ride and comform with the crowd and will tell you how it went. Scotch is pretty good in the warmup at dressage shows....Well from what I can recall...so nothing to explosive. But interacting and hanging w/ the crowd would certainly take some steam off of him...lol

The clipping process is certainly a hairy one!! This time last year I was clipping my event trainer's competition horses...and that was a week process. I swear I found hair 3 months later on me!! Thankfully this year I just have a wee lil pony to clip. Is Razzle like Scotch and you don't have to drug them??

OnceWasTag- omy! Sounds like CK had some funnnn!!

Rode the pony today...and we jumped. LoL I was the only one in the ring...*evil laughter* Right after I was getting off 2 ppl came in with their horses. Maybe next time I'm meander in w/ a crowd. Trying to figure out how I'm going to ride him tomorrow...since I have to Close the store tom night....guess I'll have to get up super early.

Here's the Scotch pony...with his very dirty dirty blanket on. The only blanket that I haven't washed yet.

-

Look green grass in...January!

-

Shelly--I have been properly chasted. [Embarrassed] However, in my defense, I did look up and did call out and so did the majority of the riders in the ring. The more and more I ride in such conditions as of lately, I have found that what you pointed out to be very true; riding in a crowded ring is a fantastic lesson about spacial awareness and I finally adjusted to it completely today. Its very important to learn, for both horses and riders, of all levels. I was simply pointing out that it seemed worse on paper than it did in the ring, and that I could have been even more aware and helpful to Spectrum. Thank you for your advice and reminders!

Krazy--Congrats for have the guts for going back to school! I am positive that you can pull this off successfully. Unfortunately, what happened to you with that absolute stupid "favoriting" BS is all too common. You could stir the pot about it if you wanted, but it might make the company even less flexible with you. Catch up on your sleep--you need it with such a frustrating job!

TracyA--I can't wait with the results of the video; I am crossing my fingers that you get in. Perhaps we can see the video too when its all put together? It would be wonderful to handsome Fess again.

luvhorsees-Its always a pain when farriers and other such awesome resources can no longer provide services. Hopefully you will find a good one who will suit your needs.

The ring was super crowded again, but it was good exposure for Gayla. Gayla, if you all remember, is green yet sweet and wants to do things right. I thought she would at least get touchy about being in a ring with 5 or 6 horses all together including us, but she didn't even bat an eye. We had lovely, quiet trots and did twenty meters circles and other such activites. She was an absolute doll; Spectrum had a lesson with a beginner, beginner, beginner little girl who I learned didn't understand steering. A bit of an issue when Spectrum has a little crush on Gayla! Several times he wanted to come over and be with us, it was very cute. She handled horses passing her very well and was very focused.

Of course she was in her white/pink trimming saddle pad. [Razz] So cute! Everyone was complimenting her laid-back attitude, how we looked, and how cute her saddlepad was, making Gayla quite the princess of the ring. I was also in my brand new protective vest and brand new half-chaps which made me feel so good. Thank goodness for the holidays, for delivering me such lovely, shiny objects.

Off to hug the saddlepad again!

Thanks 3Day! You rock! [smile] And Scotch is adorable.

Tracy, send in the video. You don't know till you try.

Smtih, it is good to have you back on the boards. You know, Beau has always been very good about telling me when he isn't feeling well. I am hoping with his adjustments, acupuncture and time off, that when I ride him Sunday he will be feeling 100% better. My hubby and I got a fine tooth comb and went up and down his neck where the cactus needles were. Hubby pulled out two more. I have been applying the anti-flam creme every other day. He does seem to be feeling better.

Luv, sorry to hear about your farrie. I sure know what that's like!!

Krazy, hope things settle down at work soon. How's the saddle shopping going?

dobby, hope the riding in the crowded ring thing is getting better. That's one thing Beau is so used to. It just doesn't bother him. When I ran barrels, you can imagine what the warm up ring was like there? He got over it real quick! [big Grin]

Oncewastag, why did CK run for 8 straight hours? Was he just playing, or stressed out? Beau used to run cause he was stressed and I could only turn him out for short periods of time. We gradually built it up over time and now he can go out all day, like a normal horse! Did I say normal? LOL! We actually call him our shortbus horse! Shhhh. Don't tell him, cause we really love him so much! [Razz]

They're having a sharp spike of warm temps, and apparently all the horses were a bit loony. But he just runs. He's half way through his month off, and getting TO every day. He's in a new field with new buddies and the deer jump in and out of this field all the time so I'm sure he's taking EVERY advantage to spook and be a retarded gazelle.

We tried doing the short turn out things, but he never settles during those. On long turnouts, he usually divides his time evenly between eating and playing. So hopefully, when he gets used to the temp change, or when it gets cold again, he'll discover the wonders of the large bales of hay.

He may not know what the large bales of hay are actually, come to think of it. Not sure if he's ever seen those. He was not turned out during the winter at his previous home.

Hmm.

Yeah, he's a nut. He thinks he's 3 and he's not. As long as he doesn't hurt himself or run people over, I'm not worried.

Yeah, as long as they are just feeling good and not getting hurt,, we don't have to worry to much.

I used to have to stop Beau if he got to running. He would overeach and pull shoes and slice his heels open, even with bell boots on. Finally got him to where he doesn't do that anymore and he actually doesn't run anymore. He used to work himself up into such a lather that he would get dehydrated. That's why we started slow and then built him up. It took time, but it was so worth it and I love that he can go out to pasture daily now!! I'm sure you like your horse being out also. He sounds like a character.

Anything for you Boocoo [big Grin]

Awh what a nice hubby to help you get those catcus needles out of Beau. Hope that he feels better! OOO how was the rest of KOH???

iluv- I'm sorry to hear about your farrier. [Frown] hopefully the farrier that she recommneded does just has a nice of job. I too have to find a farrier now. So hang in there kiddo.

dobby- I just read that HP book... ok onwards. Thanks about my lil man. Gotta love those red duns! haha craziness. must be a PA thing eh? omg speaking of PA I got this hilarious email about PA. I will have to send it to you, if you want that is...its sooo funny.

Yup my mind just went completely and utterly blank...bah!

Back to the movie Hook. Which I absolutely love.

dobby - Sounds like Gayla is doing well! That is definitely a good thing she does well in a crowded ring, as it can come in handy later. Sounds like you got some nice gifts, too [smile] I like the sounds of your saddle pad, too, think I may need to get one for miss Alibi!

Boocoo - that was nice of your hubby, and good you got more out. That sounds quite painful. I sure hope I can find a new, GOOD farrier!

3Day - cute cute cute pictures! Good luck on your farrier quest, too.

Here's a picture of Teddy, from Summer 2006:

-

...and some recent pictures of Alibi, which dobby has seen [Razz] . (Please excuse the awful quality of the undersaddle photo, it barely turned out!).

-

-

-

[smiley Wavey]

Hey guys.

I def will not be stirring any pot any time soon. I know how it goes at my work. There is no 2 wk notice. Which I understand. Here you are saying you are about the leave, you are handling other peoples credit card numbers, and have all the little secrets and details about how the company works. I totally get it. Now there have been 2 people who have had to leave due to family issues, and they let them be JUST customer service reps and not sell for 2 wks, but it was specific situations.

Even this girl in questions best friends on the team thinks its all BS how the manager treats us compared to her. Everyone! This just angers me more but fuels me to do even better. The funny thing is, she has been on the phone like 4-5 hours a day when we are all on 10 hours a day. Of course her sales are high. Shes not on the phone that much. Well now the company is buckling down on time off the phone. Shes spent 3 entire days on the phone and is BARELY 89% of goal. Im 138%. Imagine that. HMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I go tomorrow at 11am to check out the school and program. The moms is fully behind me as is the Husband, so if I need support, mentally or monitarily, I have it. Whew.

The ground is so wet, Sarah couldnt ride night. I came home and Layla looked like a powdered donut. I spent a good 30 mins grooming her. Her frogs are all white and squishy from all the rain. Plus they are due for a trim and a reset.

The Amerigo is being postponed until about next Wednesday. Amerigo is still doing inventory, and is trying to get everything cleaned up for the end of the year. So either the close contact or the Circa *sp*.

At least where Im going tomorrow to see the school is like 10 mins from the huge tack store that I never get to go to b/c its so far away. It was so nice to work there and be able to pick up anything horsey I needed. But now Im so far, its a chore to go. But Im going to stop by and check some things out. I stilllllllll havent gone to the reception area and picked up my things. Shame on me. LOL Im going to go tomorrow.

I think it may rain again this weekend. Im so over the rain. It didnt rain AT ALL all summer and now this!

luv, I LOVE that pic of you and Ali! Very very nice! Sorry to hear about the farrier. That stinks! I have SO been there.

Shelly, Too funny @ Raz. Layla has never done that. She wont even offer to cow kick. That mare will just get tense and grind her teeth and get tense, but will never ever let it out. I know she should have bucked me off more than enough times but it just isnt in her. THANK GOD!

dobby, glad to hear things are going better in a crowded arena. I came from a barn that did lessons all the time with little kids and also have done hunter shows. Riding in a ring isnt a huge deal for me. Layla doesnt give a rats behind. Its just those crazy people who dont call where they do and cut in front of you and then their horse kicks yours.. yeh... that makes it no fun. But it IS good practice for shows!

3Day, pony is too cute! I want to see u/s pics!

Katie, Layla used to be like that. Well.. she can still be like that esp if Ben gets out of her sight *puke* I cannot get her over this whole seperation thing but I guess its to be expected when they live at home alone together. Cant wait to see new pics when you guys get back to work.

Well Im going to go wait for Randy to come home. Hes off tonight but they asked him to come in and do one job. So work for 30 mins and get a full days pay. Im in! LOL So he should be here around 1:30-2. Night!

Luv - Having a good warm up at a show is SOOOO important, and those crowded rings can really throw a horse and rider if they have never faced something like that before. I watch so many people stand on the sidelines WIDE EYED and totally freaked by the prospect of having to warm up in a scary over crowded arena. You have enough stress to deal with on show day without having to worry about the warm up ring. It is nice to get there and be able to step into a totally zooey ring and have my horse not even bat an eyelash at all the goings on around him. It is just like the ring at home to him. He could care less. A little more difficult for me perhaps simply because I don't know the riders or their styles so I'm unsure what they will do next. That is TERRIBLE news about your farrier. I can't believe she quit on you when your horses were overdue for new shoes. The least she could have done would be to come redo the horses, then quit so that you would at least have some time to find a new farrier. I bet you are stressed. I HATE farrier shopping. Hope you find someone new that is good very quickly. That is a really nice u/s photo of you and Alibi. Too bad the picture quality didn’t turn out better. That is always a problem in an indoor.

3Day - HA!! We have a couple of business. I am a lawyer, but right now I am working as a legal secretary because I make more money, work less hours and have less stress - no kidding!! Jack owns two business - a jewelry store and a liquor store. The jewelry store is wholesale only as he custom makes jewelry and does repairs, though he has been gradually closing that business down and retiring from the jewelry business. I'm not sure how much longer he will continue to do it - except for friends and family. He has been doing it since he was 7yo, and he is burned out on it. Wine suggestions - TONS!!! Jack and I go to wine tastings as we choose all the wines for the store ourselves. We have tasted every wine in the store in order to be able to sell it knowledgably. I prefer red so I tend to have more red suggestions, but I have a few white suggestions as well. HA!! Yes, Raz was NOT happy about the haunches-in lesson, but after his up and nearly over episode, he HAD haunches-in NO problem!!!! Figured it out in a hurry. It’s been one of his best lateral moves ever since. No, no, no – don’t conform with the crowd – go AGAINST the crowd!!! Shake things up a little!! HA!! When everyone is tracking right, track left. When everyone is walking, canter. When everyone is leg yielding left, leg yield right. Go right AT people and if Scotch sucks back, get after him. Teach him to trust you and listen to you and not react the things going on around him. It took Raz a little while to learn that I wouldn’t run him into another horse, but now he trusts that I am going to steer him around the other horses, and he keeps on moving forward awaiting my guidance. This is what I need from him when I get to the show warm up ring – absolute trust, because THAT is where real distraction comes into play. Oh yeah, no drugs required for clipping Raz. He just stands there, except when he needs to pee!!!! We have to go all they way to the far side of the barn to clip because we have a boarder with epilepsy and the buzzing from clippers can cause her to have seizures. Well Raz will ONLY pee in his stall. I was ALMOST done last time – just had the flanks and around the tail area to do, and he HAD TO GO when he started doing his pee dance and crossing and uncrossing his hind legs. Made it REALLY hard to finish, but I refused to walk him all the way back to his stall just so he could pee, then back again, when I had less than 10 minutes before I was done!!! [Razz] Love Scotch in his blankie – such a cutie!!!

Dobby – It always sounds worse on paper and looks worse from the ground. Once you are mounted up and start riding, you are in your zone and generally just fine and dandy. There are always one or two riders in a barn that can’t seem to follow ring rules and make riding in crowded rings a real pain in the butt, but aside from that it is a great time to school the horse. I’m sure you do just fine with both Spec and Gayla. Our ring can be VERY intimidating to ride in because you frequently have 5 horses all 2nd Level through GP at the same time so LOTS and LOTS of upper level lateral work. We don’t have a lot of beginners at my barn. We have our fair share of Training and 1st level riders, but we have so many upper level riders as well that it is just isn’t unusual for the ring to fill with upper level riders. It can be a tough ring to ride in.

Boocoo – I can’t believe you are still getting more cactus needles out of Beau’s neck. Poor guy. No wonder he was sore. Sounds like really nasty stuff.

Krazy – Yup, sounds like you know your company well. Definitely watch your step. What a drag. I am sooooo pleased to hear that you have such a fantastic support system from your mom and hubby, but I would expect no less from them. They have always been there for you, and you can never go wrong with more schooling. Arrrgggh, sorry to hear inventory is holding up your saddle. Having just done the store inventory, I feel your pain!!! Yup, gotta love those teeth grinders!!! Raz and Layla would make quite the pair. I always know Raz is getting really ticked off with me when he starts grinding his teeth.

~Shelly~

[ 01-05-2007, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

Well I went to tour the school and get the details on the program. I didnt know what to expect with this being like a technical school, not a university. But I was actually quite impressed with the campass and everything they do to help you get job placement afterwards. So I signed on the dotted line and on 1/22/06, I start.

Tonight we (the Moms, the Husband, and the Step dad) are all going to sit down and work some finances. I want to see if I should apply for a student loan or what. Also about work. Going to school from 8:00-2:00pm and then working FT from 3:00-12:00am would suck. Then get home around 12:30am-1:00am, eat dinner, clean stalls if not already done, and take a shower, and TRY to be asleep by 2:00am if Im lucky, and get up at 6:00-6:30am at the latest, to leave by 7:00am to get there at 8, Monday-Friday will be a bit much. So I was going to explore borrow a little more from a student loan perspective than I need to use it for living costs and get a PT job b/c this would only be for 8 months.

HUGEEEEEEEEEEe storm is coming. Tornado warnings and everything. Gotta go get the stalls clean and ready for the horses to come in and get settled before the storm moves in. Ill be back later!

Krazy - Glad to hear you liked the school and have decided to go. I think that is a great decision. Definitely can't work full time though because you forgot to work in any time to do homework and studying!!!!! [Eek!] That schedule will kill you inside of 2 weeks. See what you can work out tonight with your Mom, Stepdad and Hubby. Good luck!!!

~Shelly~

Shantel - Thanks [smile] . Sorry to hear about the postponed saddle arrival, but crossing my fingers it works for both you and Layla! Sounds like a nice tack shop, and ditto, I would LOVE to be able to go to the Dressage Extensions store, as well as Dover. The closest "big" tack shop is about 45 minutes away, and it's just the State Line Tack section in PetSmart. There are a few local tack shops, but their prices aren't too great. Oh well, online shopping works for me, too! And congratulations on your future career, sounds very exciting! But working full time plus school sounds like a bigggg overload. But of course that is coming froma 15 y/o in Highschool! Ha. I hope the storm doesn't end up being too bad- stay safe!

Shelly - definitely agree. Warmup is everything for me. If I have a good warmup, I enter the show ring feeling confident with transfers to Teddy, and we have better rides. That is how it was at the Championships. I didn't lunge Teddy long enough and our warmup wasn't the best, so it was our "off" ride. I too wish that my farrier would have at least done our horses, because now they are overdo and I don't want just "any" farrier!! I really wish the undersaddle pic turned out, but like you said, that is the common issue with picture taking in indoors.

Going to ride Teddy today, and thank God for the indoor, because it's super windy and pouring rain, which is mixed with a smidgen of snow, but could turn into pure snow later. Staying warm will be hard...

I have been *trying* to transfer video file from the hard drive on the digi video camera to the vcr with no luck for over an hour. I've tried every configuration of chords and holes I can find. [Frown] I'm about ready to find a store that will do this for me for a fee if I take in the camera and a video tape. I am not usually so technologically inept... Hmmm. I wonder if I completely unhook the old vcr then run the inputs from the camera I can get it to work for me?

Tracy

Well, it's been raining and raining and we had a tornado touch down not far from here. The storm freaked out our only mare boarder, and she started colicking tonight. She's fine now, though.

We finally think we got to the root of Riley's many problems, and it's pretty bad news. He's got low articular ringbone in the front right. We compared the Xrays when we bought him three years ago (they were perfect) to the one last spring when he first came up lame, and the ones we took last week, and there are definate changes. He's almost sound on 1 gram of bute, and we are hoping that an injection of HA and Depo can help any inflamation for at least 6 months. The vet thinks he's only got a year or two of being able to be managed before it gets too bad. I've been in tears since he told me.

On the brighter side, I've been looking at 2nd/3rd level horses for sale since last summer, knowing that Riley might never come back, and I think I've found a horse of a lifetime. He's shown incredibly successfully (think winning big classes in Florida, Region 3 Open champs, within 2 percent of Carol Lavell's Much Ado) at PSG, which I never dreampt I could afford. The owner sounds desperate, and the price is very negotiable, and less than half what he is worth. He's coming 14, 16.3, chestnut sabino with blaze and flaxen mane and tail. Quite gorgeous, so I hope to try him out soon. He looks a bit like Riley, too.

I've been training my friend's mom's old barrel racer/feild hunter QH pony for polox, and he is just the most amazing little thing. Picked it up in no time flat, could care less about me swinging around him, picking up, or racing alongside other horses. Plus he neckreins. Here are some pictures of the handsome old man. (he's 18 and hasn't been ridden since last summer, before I started working with him a month ago)

A fun video: My friend had just passed me the ball, I caught it, and the video starts when I pass the ball to her. It hits the end of her racquet, and both the racquet and the ball go flying. I start laughing really hard.

-

The Rhett-ster, Polocrosse Extrodinaire

-

-

-

Well I longed Beau today and I think another one of his problems was, I swear this horse has a memory like an elephant, when I first rode him last Sat. after his time off from the Vet. he was slipping a tad at the trot, on the edges of the arena, from the slickness. If ya'll remember, I did not canter that day, for that reason. The next couple days I went to longe him in my sidereins and he was bumping up hard against them and having fits and acting really sore in the neck, which he was from the cactus. Same thing next day and that was the day after the bucking fit. That was Monday. I have only been hand walking him and stretching him and making him do his situps since. He got to go out one day, but the rain has made the pastures to slick. So today, I put my side reins on him and longed him without the saddle on, cause he did slip and go all the way down on me once a couple years ago, hence the reference to elephant memory. He was acting like he thought he was going to slip and go down today, and since he had slipped a bit last Sat. I think he must have been remembering that time a couple years ago. I just kept encouraging him onward and had him do lots of trot/canter transitions both ways. He soon relaxed and did them smoothly. I am going to do that again tomorrow and then try riding him again on Sunday. He looks like he feels good otherwise and his neck is healed from the cactus needles.

Back to work yesterday, so worked both days and I am beat. Plus my Mom is still here, so we have been running around doing things. She flies home on Sunday.

iluv- awhh Alibi is soo cute along w/ Teddy! Great pics! How did your ride on Teddy go today?

Boocoo- an elephant brain! It's amazing how well horses remember not only the good things but the not so good things as well. Hopefully you will have a better ride next time. Continue having fun w/ your mom! Enjoy!

Shelly- lol I just meant I would conform as riding during the hectic crowded ring. Scotch can be a difficult ride if you shake things up too much. So currently we are just chilling out and getting ourselves to relax as we are adjusting to a new environment. Which he is continuously improving on. He was a rescue pony that was beaten up pretty bad on, so it has taken him a long time to trust. But we are now at the point where I can ask for a bit more and not have an exploding bomb underneath me. But you are VERY correct about going against the flow. And I will start playing around with it on him as next week dawns on us. I really just need the relaxation first and then we work our way up again. I know I shouldn't be giving otu excuses, but he is a different ride than most horses. lol. But is definately a ton better than where he was 4 months ago. [smile]

lol I bet that day Raz was like ok I'm now the king at haunches in. He prob doesn't want to go through that ever again! i love ponies/horses that stand still (hehe except when they have to pee). So you have to go to another section in the barn to clip....wow.

Sounds like you and Jack lead quite an adventureous life! Wow 7yrs old!!! That is a long time to be in a business! I also thought it would be neat to own a liquor store. I never really liked Red wine, but I did have an exceptional glass of red wine tonight at a resturant...but i can't remember the name of it. It went down so smooth, it was quite tasty!

Krazy- You go girl! Going to college and balancing a job sounds nuts. I'm in college, full time but only have a part time job. Hopefully you will get it all figured out!! Best of luck!! Keep us updated.

hehe I will def. get more U/S pics of the Scotch boy. Once I can kidnapp someone to take pics.

TracyA- GL w/ that transferring. I'm sure you will get it figured out though!

No riding today. [Frown] No time and by the time I closed I was exhausted. Tomorrow before I head up North to take care of dressage trainer's barn. Got Scotch's new WOOF boots..they are so cute and little. Along w/ his new weatherbeeta fleece coolers. My pony is officially a stylin' boy.

Hope everyone had a good,safe day.