Sign in to follow this  
SightUnseen

Dressage Chit-Chat Thread Volume 13!

Ooooh! Polocrosse!! Sarah and I were actually going to a clinic next weekend for that in Ocala but with the EHV outbreak, we have decided to wait for a later date. It looks so cool!!

I think the idea for work and school is that I will go with the evening classes (Mon-Thurs 5-10pm) and work a P/T job maybe like 9-2pm during the week. That way I will have the weekends for destressing and studying and not have to wake up at like 6am and fight the traffic to get downtown. Everyone agreed to put in for a student loan about 8k more than I need to help cover bills while I take the pay cut, and any other money needed further down the line for other bills, Randy and my mom said they could help with. Really makes me appreciate everything I have, esp them, and all their support. Its very scary taking a big change like this and quitting my job which Im so secure in and taking a big step. I dont like change at ALL but this one feels right. When I went on the tour of the labs and all, they all look like real dentist offices and I was getting excited thinking about me actually having that as my job soon. So I think for once Ive made a big decision and its going to work out. Will it be tight and hard?? Yes, but totally worth it.

It was still wet tonight and after fighting with the leather punches to get Bens nameplate on his halter, we decided to just hop on bareback. Let me tell you. Bareback + full seat breeches = velcro! It was awesome. Layla isnt hard to ride bareback but you still can get that second of wobble b/c shes so narrow. But not with the FS breeches! Both of them were feeling good and prancing and trucking along. We even braved the set of 3 cavaletti and went through them a few times (both the horses really pick up those feet and push over them so it can be a little more of a ride over them bareback). Then we walked around the house and got off.

Sarah also lost her virginity to sheath cleaning. LOL Ben was a perfect gentleman. We figured he would be as he used to be a breeding stallion and probably had it done very often. One time she got a little rough trying to get the bean and he just gently lifted his hind leg a little and said HEY NOW. But not trying to kick or anything.

Dont know what happened to the storm. I guess it stayed north of my house. It rained for like 30 mins if that lightly. Ponys are inside eating hay and going to sleep. As am I... going to sleep that is. Have a good nite guys!

There must be something in the water. My most recent fall was.... this morning. We were working on asking Fessor to really flex, lift his back, and USE his hind end more than usual. Since he was inclined to ignore my leg I was trying to use a dressage whip. I *touched* him with the whip on the top of the haunches and he decided he'd had enough. Fess bucked HUGE right as we were going past the gate and around the corner and got me off. I was so PISSED that I did not let go of the reins and demonstrated what it feels like to be HIT with the whip instead of *touched* with it. Little Snot! I've fallen off plenty of times, but I think it was the first time I have been bucked off. Fess knew he'd gone too far. As I was getting on at the mounting block, he was hanging his head. After getting back on and back to work, he was good again. The sad part is that the buck happened about five seconds before the trainer was going to have us take a stretch break. Instead we had to have an attitude adjustment! Fortunately, aside from growling at him from gathering up and *thinking* about bucking again Fessor was good. He finished softly enough that I chose not to try for the canter today. I was happy with having a good note to end on after our earlier, ummmm, mishap.

The plan for tomorrow is for a nice, relaxed ride with very few demands. Then on Monday I can try asking Fess to use himself better again. I'll say one thing, it's never boring with Fess in my life. Silly boy!

Boocoo - it's amazing sometimes how good horses's memory's are! Glad to hear Beau's neck is feeling better. That would most definitely be painful.

3Day - thanks [smile] . Teddy was a good boy, and I rode Alibi in my lesson today. She was good, but at the end got tired and attempted to revert back to old behavior, which is backing up and REFUSING to go forward, but I did have a whip in my hand, so I gave her a little smack and as soon as she took a step forward she was rewarded.

Tracy - sorry to hear about your fall. Sounds like Fess got rather pissy!! Good luck with your video, I really hope you get in!!

Kiss The Sky - polo x, sounds and looks fun!! I am so sorry to hear about your horse's health issues, it sounds like it has a been a rough year. Crossing my fingers he stays sound and comfy for years to come. Sounds like a wonderful horse (the one you're looking at to buy). Keep us updated!

Shantel - ahhh, the fun of sheath cleaning [Wink] . I love riding bareback, but haven't tried cavaletti yet! It sounds like you have a great support system, and I am sure the change will be a good one.

[smiley Wavey]

Tracy, hope you are all right. At least Fess had the decency to feel guilty! LOL!

When Beau slipped and fell, it was two years ago and I was longing him. He hit the one slick spot. Then the other day, I was riding him, just trotting and he slipped a tad in the slick spots around the edges of the covered arena. Just enough to scare him into having a memory flashback. He was much better even today, with it being very cold and rainy out there.

3day, the rest of KOH was awesome!! Excellent movie. We really enjoyed it, even though some of it was quite gruesome. We watched the disk that had the making of the move on it. Pretty wild, how they do some of those battle scenes.

Me Mum leaves tomorrow and hopefully I will get to ride. I have a feeling Beau is going to be great!! [big Grin]

Yep, Fess looked surprised (first) then almost sulky and hang dog pouty when I got after him. Frankly, I don't care *what* set him off. Bucking hard enough to get me off just isn't ok. And if I want to touch him with the whip, I get to touch him. So once we were done for the day, I spent a few minutes from the ground touching Fess all over his body with the whip. He was fine then... Ah, well. I guess most horses have the occasional tantrum. I suspect we won't need to have the "You may not buck (big) under saddle," discussion again any time soon. This had nothing to do with blindness or spooking and everything to do with Fess deciding half a minute too soon that he was DONE. No harm done. I didn't leave any welts on him and I'm only a bit stiff in a few places. Maybe I'm a mean mom, but I don't feel all that badly about giving Fess a spanking since I was already on the ground. He got over it soon enough...

Tracy

I don't post much on this board, mostly lurk. I usually post on H/J just because it's so active, but I'm not really a H/J rider.

I have a 16 year old TB gelding, Tempo. He's been off for a month. We had the chiro out and he "fixed" him up. My poor guy had 2 ribs out, his left Scapula was raised 2 inches, his poll was rotated, the nerves in his left fore were numb and his right hip/pelvis area was out. So today was my first time riding him in about 2 weeks, and he was full of energy, but doing very well. He's 100% sound. But he's lost so much fitness in that short time it's amazing, he was sweaty and breathing heavily after 15 minutes of trot work! Now I have to work on getting him going as well as he was before he was off.

Everyone has gorgeous horses on here! [big Grin]

Well guys.. Ive put in an application with Am South Bank as a PT teller. The great thing is, if I get the job, its like 5-10 mins up the road from me! And ANYTHING that is 5-10 mins up the road is GREAT b/c of where I live now. Im like a good 25-30 mins from the actual city, but live very close to an area/road that is quickly building up and the bank is on that road. I made my resume, submitted it, and am going in for the teller assessment on Wednesday at 1:30pm. So we'll see. Keep your fingers crossed please!

Didnt ride today but thats alright. I went and FINALLY got a computer desk and chair for my computer upstairs. Its been on the floor since we moved in July! LOL So its very nice to be sitting in a real chair at a desk!

Tomorrow morning Sarah and I are going to go trail riding over in the State Park across the river. We have never been in there personally, but everyone at the old barn used to go and many riders go year round. So we are excited.

Lots of things are changing for me.. and its a little scary!! Im hoping Im doing the right thing and this is going to work out the way I want it to.. [Embarrassed] Lets hope!

TracyA- Ooo naught Fess, but glad that you had a change of attitude and that it ended well!

Luv- Yay for having a good lessons [smile] I bet Alibi straightened right up after you got after her.hehe How i love ponies!!

Boocoo- I loved KOH!! You seriously have made me want to go out and buy it. I rented it, but now I'm dying to own it. I just got home from seeing Blood Diamond. EXCELLENT movie...that you should go and see.

Have fun w/ Beau tom, and I bet you will have a super ride [Wink]

Krazy- I'm excited for you and school. Best of luck and I'm sure you will do very well!! How exciting!

Half halt- Welcome to the chit chat thread! Make yourself at home! I'm Lauren, and btw I love the name of your horse!

Rode Scotch today, and he was super! Had some lovely canter work and him just really working into a relaxed, seeking the bit frame. Too bad that I had to head north to take care of dressage trainer's farm. So he gets tom. off.

Though had a great time meeting up w/ friends that i haven't seen in awhile.

Hope everyone else had a great day!

Cheers!

Krazy, just keep breathing. Changes are stressful, even ones that we expect to work out well and initiate ourselves. You'll be fine! Good luck with the teller's job. [smile]

Tracy

Boocoo - good thing you weren't on Beau when he slipped. My trainer was on a young horse, who took a wrong step and was about to go down on his side, so my she bailed. It has been cold and rainy here too. We've had some snow mixed in with the rain, and just TONS and TONS of rain. Not fun!! I hope you had a nice time with your mom, and let us know how your ride goes [smile]

Tracy - sounds like you handled the bucking really well. And you are totally right, he should accept the feel of the whip, without starting a bucking frenzy, espeically one that ends with you on the ground!! I sort of had a similar situation with Alibi, just on a lower scale. She got tired and cranky, and started old, BAD behaviors. WIth a little spanking forward she got over herself, but still that is behavior that needs to be demolished!

-half halt- welcome to the Dressages Chit Chat thread! Sounds like a serious chiropractic session was in need for your guy, and glad he is feeling better. Do you have any pictures? Oh, and ditto to Lauren/3Day, I love the name Tempo! I am McKenzie BTW [smile] .

Shantel - I am crossing my fingers you get the job at Am South Bank...and sounds like it'd be super convienent too! Sounds like a fun trail ride, if I owned a trailer I'd LOVE to go for some, but alas, I don't. Let us know how it goes!

3Day - ponies are definitely, well, what's the word...STUBBORN? Gotta love 'em, though! Glad you had a nice ride!! Those are always fun [Wink][big Grin] .

[ 01-07-2007, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Back from the trail ride. The park is very very nice. The trails are kept cut back and very wide. There are multiple trails, with maps all over, even a bathroom and a water pump for us! It was very nice. We found an older gentleman riding his palomino gelding and he showed us the trail down to the St Johns River. So it was nice. The ponys were full of themselves so we let them trot full out and canter and even a little hand gallop. They enjoyed themselves. It was quite warm.. over 80, but not humid, and there was a lot of shade. And NO BUGS!! YAY! Plus, coming through the front gate at home, I usually have to make an attempt and then back up and straighten and go back through b/c its a 12' gate so thers JUST enough room to get through, but theres a ditch on either side of the drive, and a wooden post on the corner to keep you off the edge and theres not a lot of room to swing out to make the turn.. but I did it the first time! [smile]

Im so exhausted though. I couldnt fall asleep last night until like 430am and got up at 830am! So Im very tired! Going to relax the rest of the day though.

Happy Sunday!

Tracy, I agree with you. Bucking is never acceptable. Beau did that last Sunday when cantering to the right. Don't know if I got him with my whip or he was afraid he would slip, or his neck was hurting from the cactus needles, or all three. None are excusable! LOL! He bucked like a flipping bronc and he is too big to be doing that. I managed to stay on, get him stopped, spank him and make him do it again correctly one circle. Then we stopped. We worked on his neck all week getting the needles out and applying anti-inflam creme. I couldn't ride anyway, since my Mom was here.

Halfhalt, welcome to the board.

Krazy, keeping fingers crossed for you.

Luv, hope it is warming up up there and you are getting to ride.

3Day, I thought Blood Diamond looked good. Will have to go see it.

Had a fairly good ride on Beau today. It was quite cold and windy and he started off a tad tense and goosey. I even longed him first. I just kept pushing him forward until he finally relaxed and he worked very nice. I was quite pleased.

Then I went and bought some of those gorgeous Corinthians Chimes for our front porch. You know, the great big ones that have the gorgeous tones. Ours is in the key of E. We got it with some of our Cmas $$. This porch on this house is perfect for them.

That's it, back to work and school tomorrow and riding hard to get ready for show season.

Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a while. Things here are so hectic, I barely get to ride, much less surf the internet. The holidays were kind of scarey here, as my 3 month old daughter got very sick on Christmas day. She spiked a fever, stopped eating, and was sleeping excessively to the point where she couldn't wake herself up or be woken up. She had a spinal tap, blood tests and a urine culture and ended up in the hospital with IV fluids and antibiotics. The originally thought she either had meningitis or had some sort of septic infection in her blood system. SCAREY stuff!!! [Eek!] Thank goodness the tests came back negative! They (the lovely doctors in my town) never did figure out what it was. They said it must have been some really bad virus. She is just now starting to eat normally again.

I was so scared it wasn't even funny. Babies sure do know how to give their parents grey hair!

Of course, before she got sick she was on a regualar pattern of eating and sleeping that you could set your watch by...and she was sleeping through the night. Now that she is finally better, her pattern is all messed up. I hope we get it back soon.

Needless to say, I haven't been riding much. And when I do actually get out to ride, Santanna tests me to no end. I can't even get the shoulder in or haunches in lately. Very frustrating. But I assume it will get better when I work out a more regular riding schedule. Ugh.

Santas_Girl - that must have been so scary about your daughter! Thank god she's okay.

Anyways, thanks for the welcomes everyone. [big Grin]

Some pictures!

-

-

-

[big Grin]

I just got in from the best ride Ive had in about 2 months. Layla was SO good! We've been having discussions about my right to have consistant contact with her and her working into my outside rein, not faking me out. She is always testing me and "complaining" about not wanting to. Its my homework from my lesson. So after yesterdays trail ride, where at first it was good, but by the end she was just getting rushed and tense and literally quivering b/c I made her stop and Sarah and Ben keep walking b/c she was trying to race him, I didnt think today would be good.

I got on, got her marching at the walk on loose rein. She was totally ignoring my left leg and my request for FORWARD. I kicked her one time really hard with my left leg to wake her up. She went "oomph!" but didnt move. I was like great, here we go. But I finally got her moving, and picked up the contact slowly. She kept wanting to jig, but I remained quiet and soft, each time gently asking her to walk but be forward. I finally got to my target rein length and contact amount, and she was either trying to suck back or jig and counterflex and bulge her shoulder and totally evade proper bend and contact to the left. ALL at the walk!

I finally got her straight and correct and after 2 laps around the barn with her like that, picked up the trot. Kept her slow and steady, more focused on her maintaining the contact with me and being straight than anything. Once we got that established, I worked on getting her more forard without getting quicker. She was being surprisingly GREAT. Shed test me a few times about the contact and bend to the left, but it just took some minor corrects and she went back to where she should be. Even over the cavaletti she was great. Changing bend and direction - no problem. You know you have her "THERE" when you dont have to work to post and you feel like you are floating. We had like like 85-90% of the ride! It was amazing. Walk on contact in the end. No sucking back. I called it a night. I was so happy and pleased with her. It is WAY too wet to canter anyways. But she was great. Sarah said Ben was very good as well and we both had the best rides we each have had in months. We gotta go trail riding some more! Even though we dont normally do arena work.

The Amerigo people finished inventory and are sending the Cervia Dressage (See It HERE: http://www.amerigo-usa.com/products.asp?itm=CD&cat=2D&ind=2). Im SO hopeful that this works. If this one doesnt we will try the close contact dressage. So keep your fingers crossed. The saddle should be here today.

I gotta go to the financial aid office tomorrow to apply for some student loans, go to the chiro, the farrier is coming, AND get my drivers license and tag and title for trailer in my married name. WHEW. Busy day.

Santasgirl - How scary about your daughter! Im glad shes ok now!

halfhalt - lovely pics! I love how engaged he is behind in the 2nd pic.

Luv- haha Stubborn is such a good word for them. But ooo how i love them! Weee I'm glad I'm not the only person that doesn't own a horse trailer...

Boocoo- It was a great movie!! omg those chimes are gorgeous. I bet your porch looks super amazing! Glad to hear Beau behaved himself [smile]

Krazy- [big Grin] Don't you love when you have GREAT rides??? I had a fabulous ride today. Must be that kind of day! That Cervia saddle looks stunning and comfy! Hope it works out for you.

Half halt- Great pics! You horse is very cute!!

Santas- omg. Thank goodness your baby is ok!! Once you get back into the swing of things in riding, I'm sure it will all fall together.

Great day today! [big Grin] Scotch was great! I think he is finally comfortable at this new place. And he now has a pasture buddy that he gets along great with. A gelding pasture buddy that is hehe!

Shantel - sounds like a nice trail ride [smile] . I would love to go for one...but with my lack of trailer (and truck, for that matter) and the awful weather, it's not quite possible at the moment. Sounds lik a wonderful ride - those are fabulous!! Definitely sounds like a full day, but a good one.

Boocoo - I'm getting to ride, but unfortunately it's cooling down. We are expecting snow tomorrow night, Wednesday night and over the weekend. Ugh. The snow is pretty and all, but if we miss school it just extends longer into summer, plus it's just freezing and the roads get really icey and slippery. Your new chimes sound beautiful!!

SG - wow, I am *so* glad your precious baby is okay. Thank God! What a scare. Like 3Day said, I am sure with more time and consistent work (easy for me to say, I know [Wink][big Grin] ) Santanna will get back in the program.

-half halt- nice photos, and cute horse [big Grin]

3Day - I too love ponies. They are tons of fun (usually), and their personalities and attitudes make life more interesting (and usually for the better...hehe). Glad to hear Scotch has found a suitable pasturemate, and is also behaving himself in the arena!

While I was at school today, a package was delivered but since no one was home I have to pick it up at the Post Office tomorrow afternoon. They did not say who was the sender, but I am pretty sure it's my saddle (just a "refresher" - it's the CC saddle with a significant "wrinkle" [Wink] ). I'll have to get some pics of Alibi and I using it, and hopefully tomorrow!

[smiley Wavey]

Krazy, hope the saddle works out. How many does this make? [big Grin] I think you are going to beat me!!

luv, be careful with that ice. Ice is so scary!! Hope you get to ride some.

3day, I can hear the chimes right now, what a beautiful sound. Glad Scotch got a pasture mate.

Nice pictures halfhalt.

SG, thank goodness your baby is ok. That's pretty amazing the Dr's. didn't know what it was.

I was having the most amazing ride on Beau this afternoon, when some guy in a jeep, goes driving by the covered arena and out to the hayfield??? I'm thinking, who is that? Then he opens the jeep hatch, gets a dog out and starts walking across the field. Now I have completely lost Beau. He is in giraffe mode and can't figure out what is moving out there in the field. Then the guy goes down by the creek, which is a good 40 acres away and starte shooting! [Mad] By this time I am furious. I am finally having a good ride and some yahoo is out in the field freaking out my horse. I tried everything to get Beau's attention back on me, forget it, he was gone. I got off, unsaddled and waited for the barn owner to get back. I asked him who is that out there and he said it was his neighbor and he has permission to come on the property and go shooting as long as he is very careful. I told the BO, that's all fine and dandy, but not when I am in the arena riding. He totally screwed up my awesome ride and I would appreciate it if that didn't happen again. The BO said ok, he would tell him not to do that when I am riding. Sheesh! [Mad][Eek!] I might not have been so upset if I had been riding every day lately and having good rides, but I only just started riding again yesterday and was finally having a super ride today. I would have ridden for another 20 min. at least before I was done. Oh well, what can you do? I know that man won't be out there again when I am riding, so that is some comfort and on another good note, Beau was being awesome today!

Boo, that stinks! What an idiot! Hopefully the BO will do as they say and tell that guy not to do that while people are riding.

Luv, cant wait to see Ali spotting the wrinkle saddle! How exciting!

3Day, total good ride day! It was a really nice day, aside from the fact that this morning we had to have gotten like 3-4" of rain (my water trough got that much at least!) and then it started out like 72 and by 2pm dropped to 66 and by 10 it was 40 and by morning 37 but feeling low 30s with the wind chill... Mind you.. Yesterday was 82 DEGREES!!!

Off to bed soon. Have a good Tuesday everyone!

ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Yay][Yay][Yay]

and its so beautiful!! I thought Ann said they were sending the Cervia.. but its the Cortina.. And it looks like it MAY work. I dunno. We will see. Im excited though!

I went and applied for the student loans and now just have to figure out what we are going to do about the rest of the money Ill need to survive with a shortened income for 8 months.

Ill update when I try out the Amerigo!! [smile]

Boocoo - how outrageous! I would be fuming...like Krazy said, hopefully the BO will stick with what they said and this won't be a reoccuring incident. Glad to hear Beau was behaving, on a happier note!

Shantel - [Yay] for the saddle arival! That's wonderful. Crossing my fingers this one is IT for you and Layla!

Boocoo- I bet that sound wonderful. I love chimes. no bueno about the hunter, but good for you for saying something to the BO. lol I can just imagine you stalking up to him...hehe.

[big Grin]

iluv- ahhhh I can't wait to see the wrinkly saddle!!!! heheh!

Krazy- YAY! that's great news!! I definately want to hear how it rides. Amerigo...*beings to drool*

mmm I had 2 great rides today. My lil' man was great today and I finally got out to my event trainer's and rode this amazingggg to die for horse. He was a dream to ride. More so than the last one I rode for her. He's gone and won at the Intermediate level. sooo much fun. We worked on a lot of medium gaits..and yiyy he has an absolutely fabulous medium trot. One of the last mediums I literally felt like we were on air. Such a cool feeling...haha ok i'm done rambling and drooling over this horse.

Hope everyone had a great day!

krazy, I sure hope this saddle works out for you.

3day, glad you had two nice rides. That is awesome!

luv, have you got that saddle you ordered yet?

I went to ride today and Beau would not settle down in the arena. I told him, there is no jeep in the field today. So then I decided to take him out to the field and work him and he was really good out there. When I came back the BO told me he had not seen that guy, but would certainly talk to him when he sees him and if I see him first, to stop him and ask him not to go out there when I am riding. You can bet I will do that! [big Grin] Our BO is really a great guy. He takes awesome care of our horses and I know if he says he'll talk to the guy, he will.

Lessons resume tomorrow night. [Yay] It's been since before Cmas since my last one. So like 3 weeks! We will get back to every week now.

Hey 3day, the BO is a retired Military fighter jet pilot!!! He definiely has some, ahem, huevos, to put it politely! [big Grin] He is also every one of our horses Uncle! LOL! He takes care of them all like they were his own.

My lesson last night was really good. She helped me iron out some issues I was having with Beau getting tense in the neck, all my fault of course. The one thing that really helped me see the errors of my ways, is when she had me work on the lengthening trot on a circle. It reall helped me understand some issues with my hands! So I went back after work today and rode him again. I did a repeat of last night's lesson and he was awesome. Then, low and behold, here came the red jeep. Now yesterday, another rider and her horse convinced Beau they were going to slay the jeep. So I call them the Jeep Slayer! The guy was coming out of the hayfield as our lessons started. BO hadn't seen him yet. Today he wasn't there, so I stopped the man and asked him to drive on around the corner and walk down the far pasture fence line so my horse couldn't see him. He had no problem with that and Beau remained happy and the rest of our ride was awesome! The BO then came out and I told him the jeep was in the field and he apologized that he hadn't seen him to talk to him yet. I said no problem, we worked it out!! Everyone is happy!

3Day - no pics of the wrinkle saddle yet, but I did ride in it. It honestly doesn't bother me, and the wrinkle wasn't quite as noticeable face to face then it was in the photo, thank God [big Grin] . Sounds like quite the horse to ride...and I know that "on air" medium feeling. My old Dutch gelding had a HUGE, WONDERFUL gaits. Of course I was about the size of a peanut on him, but during the mediums it felt like he was floating!!

Boocoo - the saddle has arrived! Will try and get some pictures soon. So glad you got the Jeep-hunting issue sorted out, otherwise that could become a hassle. And definitely a good thing the BO is so nice - makes life a bit easier for everyone!

quote:

He definiely has some, ahem, huevos, to put it politely! He is also every one of our horses Uncle! LOL! He takes care of them all like they were his own.

[ROTFL]

Luv, you're a hoot! [big Grin] Glad the saddle got there and hope to see pics soon.

I was plum tired today. First week back to work and rode every day after work. Beau and I took the day off. He was out in the pasture all a.m., so I cleaned him up and trimmed his mane, got all the mud off his fetlocks and rubbed him down good and called it a day. Now we are home and hubby called in for pizza. Wish it would get here, I'm hungry!

Krazy, what's up with the job thing?

Hey everybody! Wow, I can't keep up with everyone on this board. I just dropped into say that things were going well, with both horses. Well, actually, greenie Gayla and I took some steps "backward" so to say. Apparently another young rider at my barn, under the orders or permission (don't know which) of my trainer, took Gayla to the outdoor, where she promptly threw a fit and apparently was bucking everywhere. Its odd for her buck as usually she just tenses up and SPEDS when something bothers her. Not the first time something like this has happened; A week before that, the same rider made Gayla go over some type of fence, I even thought I heard the word "coop". The young rider exclaimed that it took her over ten times to get Gayla to go over it and casually talked about how upset and weird Gayla was. It honestly bothered me. Am I the only one around here who can see that this mare IS NOT comfortable yet enough on the flat to go over jumps?!

Ah well. Sorry for the rant. [Embarrassed] . Gayla was tense a bit my last two rides, but I got to settle down as I keep it to a walk and a trot and I do my best just to soothe her. Anyways, on the other note of Spectrum, things went suppperr well in a lesson on Tuesday. I watched Spectrum's lesson with a boy around 10-12 (can't really tell) while I was riding Gayla on Thursday. They are very cute together, and were going over eighteen inches (jumps) at the trot. They tried it once at the canter, fine, but the second time went a bit downhill. Due to a crowded ring and silly Spectrum, the approach to it was a bit off. The only down side about teaching jumping on Spectrum is that his gaits get a bit odd and "wobbly" before jumps unless all your seat and leg are right on. The boy couldn't fix his seat, Spectrum swerved, and BAM! The poor kid took a tumble into the fence. He was quite shocked and upset, which I understand, and his nose bleed a bit, but otherwsie was physically fine. Spectrum just halted himself right next to the fence and looked confused but I went over anyways to make sure everything was alright and that Spectrum didn;t walk himself out of the ring. Poor kid! I give props to the kid though, as after a few minutes of hugs and reassurance, he got back on, and trotted over the fence twice, and called it a lesson for the day.

Adventures never end!

SG--I am relieved for you, the baby, and your family. [Huggy]

Boocoo-Crazy hunters! I was out trailing alone (I know, I know, bad) on Spectrum back in November and I couldn't figure what was freaking him out until I looked up. [Duh] Hunters directly above me. I don't know about you, but hunting season is done around here, at least I think? Mayhaps I am just confused.

Boocoo - sounds like a busy week! How is the Working Student position going? I got Mexican takeout tonight, too...I ate two orders of Enchiladas!! I was rather hungry myself [big Grin]

dobby - what do you mean, hard to keep up, we don't talk much [Wink] totally kidding [Razz] . It really doesn't seem appropriate for Gayla to be jumping yet. IMO, it seems like flatwork should ALWAYS come first. Glad to hear the ponies are overall well, though [smile]

Teddy was a SNOT last night. Ugh. What a little brat he was! Just REFUSING to bend left...it may be time to have the chiro back out, but we'll see. He may have been having an "off" day, in terms of attitude.

The weather has been chilly lately. We had no school on Wednesday and a two hour late start on Thursday, but a regular day (8:00am to 2:37pm) today. This morning, at 7:45am, it was 16 DEGREES!. OMG was I freezing. It may get around to 10 degrees tonight, too. Yikes. I hate the cold. Everything is freezing and icey and just not fun. Oh well, I'll live.

[smiley Wavey]

Boocoo- That is awful about the guy with the jeep. Especially sense you were having such a good ride! Good thing you have it all figured out. Enjoy your pizza!

Luv- Man, that saddle is hilarious. Hopefully Patty doesn't spot it and ask to many questions...! Hehehe.

Well I rode Sunny yesterday and he was a good boy. Hopefully we're back into our pattern again. It seems to go in waves, bad, good, bad, good. Ahh! I'm glad it switches to good and all instead of sticking on bad but the inconsistency is frusterating. His leg yeilds were really nice, and we did lots of 10 meter circles. The other day (Wednesday I believe) Luv and I jumped Sunny and Teddy and they were so good! We started at like 12" but then went up to about 18" or 20". It's amazing how our little stock breeds love to jump and do dressage!

As McKenzie said, it is freezing here! Right now it is 24 degrees and this is probably one of the higher points of today. Hopefully it warms up soon!

Have a good weekend!

[smiley Wavey]