Sign in to follow this  
SightUnseen

Dressage Chit-Chat Thread Volume 13!

Boocoo- I'm so glad that you had a great lesson! Always nice to have that helpful insight to really help you understand what is going on when in saddle. And go BO!! I bet he's one tough cookie that I wouldn't want to mess with. I know how some of the military men are, for my brother is in the army and I've dated a few guys that where in the army/marines. LoL

luv- can't wait for those saddle pics. Don't let anyone mess w/ it [Wink] Awh Teddy...we all have those types of days...humans and equines. Hopefully he'll be better next time And brrrr it does sound cold over there....I think your rain is heading my way this weekend!! AHH!!

dobby- You and Gayla will get things worked out. Eventually it will all fall together piece by piece. Glad to hear Spectrum is doing well! I bet that little boy looks so cute up on him..

Bazooka- Sounds like you and luv had fun. It's always nice to go out and do something different hear and there.

Scotch had the last 2 days off....been very busy at work. But back to work for him tomorrow. Next week is first week of classes for the spring semester. *sighs* I'm not looking forward to going back. I have to do some time management and get my butt into gear to actually study and not procrastinate this semester. it should be interesting....

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Luv, sorry you and bazooka are freezing up there. But it's coming this way. Tomorrow will be warm, but freezing by Sun. all the way through next week! [Frown] Which means we probably won't get a lesson next week. I won't be doing the working student thing again until summer. I am back to work for the school district! I started Monday.

3day, sounds like you have had a full load lately, eh? Maybe you'll get to ride this weekend.

lovedobby, Luv is right, none of us here talk to much. And I am getting so old I can't remember what everyone posts 3 seconds after I read it, so that's why I don't comment on a lot of stuff. But I do read it all. I should start printing it out. That's what ya'll do, right? Come on, tell the truth. You don't really have amazing memories, right? [Wink]

So on that note, I wish everyone a fabulous weekend with some great riding. I have Monday off! [Yay][Yay]

3Day - sounds like you are busy. Ugh, I don't even want to THINK about studying right now, though I know your load is much bigger than mine! [Huggy]

Boocoo - [big Grin] my memory isn't, er, spectacular. What I do on the Chit Chat thread is open two pages of replies, using one for MY reply and the other windo shows your guys' posts, so I just scroll down and try and respond to everyone. Works for me!!

Stay warm everyone....

Luv, I knew you were smart!! [big Grin]

It is nasty cold and rainy here today. So much for warmth. It rained all night and has been all day. Supposed to get real cold and ice by tomorrow night. Don't think I will get much riding in this week!

Off to go see Beau now and go to the grocery!

boocoo- yes very full plate. I'm so tempted to just quit school and not go back...ugh. Thankfully I was able to ride this weekend. Hope that your mom got off safe and made it back [smile]

iluv- Blah. One more day of freedom more me...then it's back to the cage!! AHH. I officially believe that your state sent rain our way.....b/c it's looking very Seattleish/Washingtonish here!! [Razz]

Fun but busy weekend for me. Scotch got worked out in the fields on Saturday and my oh my was he a naughty pony!! He was all geared up and trying to gallop in the canter...looks like we need to go out more often! It was our first time out of the indoor in awhile. So hopefully the weather will break and I'll be able to school outside!! Definately need to go out hacking.

How was everyone's weekend???

Boocoo - it's been super cold here, too. Today I was at the barn from 11:45 to 5:30, and the whole time it was the low to mid 20's. I HATE the cold with a passion. Enough is enough!!

3Day - Guess the rain did come your way! It was a beautiful looking day today, but just verrrry cold (at least for me!). I literally could not feel my fingers and toes. Ick. Sounds like Scotch needs some more outdoor time...though I haven't been in the outdoor arena in forever, as it's frozen with snow on top of it.

I had a great lesson today on Teddy. We worked on our shoulder-in, haunches-in, renver, trot and canter half pass, lots of simple changes and going from right lead canter to walk, and then back to left lead canter. Lots of serpentines with simple changes as well. Then we played around with flying changes too. Teddy is still learning how to balance through the change, and I don't have much experience, so of course they are far from perfect, but getting there.

[smiley Wavey]

Boocoo-I inherited my father's memory. Basically, I have no memory, which would help explain my riding. Instead, I copy the website address, open up a new tab, paste and enter. Therefore I have TWO copies of Dressage Chit-Chat Thread Volume 13 up, click the reply button on one and start typing away. This way, when I cannot recall who said what or who posted at all, I just pull up the other window. Saves my brain alot of pain.

3DayEventer--The boy does look so cute on Spectrum! I told my trainer that if I suddenly pass away, that my lease should go directly to him but she just gave me a weird look. Hopefully, with weather changes and the end of crazy hunters who don't care if the horse and rider don't resemble a deer at all, we all can get soon to hack. Ponies are going crazy!!

luvhorses--I can trot. And post at the same time. Aren't you proud of me? [Razz] I'll get to your level eventually, once I find the right horse, and invest lots of time and patience. Meanwhile, I am enjoying the fact that my pony trots like he has a stick up his butt and the crazy mare is learning how to stand in the crossties. The adventures really never do end...

I was traveling all weekend to a) make sure the great-aunt was taking care of herself b)dropping sister back off at college. Although enjoyable, I missed the horses and procrastinated on my studying for mid-terms. Just came home, and will soon be at flute lesson, so I might be able to get back to everyone tomorrow evening at the earliest.

I knew all your girls were to smart! [big Grin] Opening up two windows. [Duh] And I used to be a computer tech. Ok, I am probably old enough to all 3 of your mothers, so I am allowed to use poor memory as an excuse! [ROTFL]

Very nasty day today. My husband came home after closing down his office and sending everyone home. Roads are icy and the temp. is not getting any warmer. We drove over to the barn. Water's all had thin layer of ice on top. Dumped Beau's out and filled back up with luke warm water, hope he will drink. Broke up all the other horses waters also. BO was coming down soon to do it again, so figured we'd just help out. Hand walked him in the indoor for a while to help promote that. He was quite frisky. Fed him his bran, also warmed up, what a spoiled pony! Came home and baked a desert, made yummy hot choc. from World Market and now relaxing on the computer.

3day, I hope you won't quite school. There is nothing like a good education. You can always fall back on it if nothing else. Hang in there. My Mom got home safe, thanks very much. We are trying to talk her into moving out here. Hope you get to ride more, but isn't this nasty weather coming your way?

Luv, I presume you have an indoor? Is it heated. That's a long time to be there when it's this cold. Sounds like you had an awesome lesson though.

lovedobby, your memory can't be that bad. Are you in the market for a new horse? Your descriptions of your current ones are quite comical!

luv- Sounds like you had a fabulous lesson!! [big Grin] and you seem to be learning lots! Flying changes is an area that I lack limited experience in as well. I can do them over fences and turns, but I just pretend I know what I'm doing and the horse does it for me. lol.

Scotch does need some outdoor time. I was able to get him out and about in the fields again, but the footing was so slippery that I could only some trotting and no cantering. It's supposed to turn disasteriously cold tomorrow.

dobby- Wow you did some traveling! Where you sad to see your sister off? If I was your trainer I would of given you an odd look as well. lol. If you die...oh man kiddo. Have you been able to ride Spectrum recently?

Boocoo- Yup we are smart girls [Jump]

It's always nice to really spoil the horses/ponies here and there. I bet your dessert was very tasty! mmmmm!! You are right, and I just am having a hard time to stick with it. I took a year off to be a WS then went to school for Vet Tech, decided it wasn't going to pay enough. So I took another semester off and transferred to Penn State. I'm having trouble of finding an area of interest that suits me. Let alone finding motivation to do papers/study etc etc. I don't like school at all....whereas a lot of my friends enjoy it. This doesn't help me out as well. Very frusterating on my behalf. Tomorrow is the first day back, I'm praying this semester will be a lot better than the past one.

sorry about my rant. And yup the nasty weather is headed my way. Thankfully we have a lovely indoor, but was hoping to school outside some more.

Had my last lesson w/ my event trainer before she heads South for 2months! She invited me down, so I may head south for a week over spring break.

My lesson was super! i rode the same fancy horse and had a super jump lesson on him. Too bad he is sold or I would of begged and pleaded my parents to open my "Remy fund" to buy him.

Stay warm!

dobby - the right horse has a lot to do with it! I didn't start moving up the levels until I was able to ride horses that were capable of doing so. You are getting a lot of experience though riding Spec, Gayla, etc. and this will all come in handy!!

Boocoo - we're pretty tricky, huh [big Grin] ? Sounds like icky weather...all of the horse's water where I board had lots of ice in the their outside troughs as well as in their stalls. Some actually had to be hammered to break the ice! And yes, luckily there is an indoor [smile] .

3Day - it was a nice ride! I was able to do a much more decent change on Dreamer, because she is almost solid PSG, but with Teddy it wasn't so smooth. Only something more time and practice will help, I suppose. Glad you had a nice lesson yourself!! And on a nice horse, even better [Wink]

[smiley Wavey]

3day, as your friend and someone who has been there and done that, I strongly urge you to stay in school and get that degree. I know you can do it, even though you sound a lot like me and school is not much fun! But it will pay off and you are strong and can persevere. Find your area of interest and preferably one that makes good $$ to support your horse habit until you marry that rich man!! LOL! Seriously, you know you want and need a good income to afford a nice life style, which includes horses.

Luv, glad you have an indoor and are getting to ride.

I have not ridden since this storm and rain hit on Friday. It's been to wet under the covered arena and not to mention, way to cold!! We have a winter storm warning until Wed. noon now. All the schools are closed tomorrow, much to my son's delight. My husband will be closing the branch again tomorrow . Hopefully it will start clearing out of here. They are not used to this kind of weather in this area. Normal high for Jan. is 60!!

Mind if I join you all?

My horse hasn't been outside for the last 3 days from this icy weather. lol. I'm not sure they'll go out today either.

Makes for a Happy Onyxx.

I had a really good lesson last night despite him feeling fresh. My trainer had me switch to rubber/dressage reins. They seemed to work well for me.

I had some really great downwards for the first time. Trainer was like... [Yay] ==that.

She got on him for the first time last night. figured out what he was looking for in about 30 seconds.

A little bit about me. I'm older. I'm taking dressage lessons on my daughters eq/jumper horse. RioToller found him for us nearly 2 years ago. We love him. He's a good boy, though a whole lot of horse for me. My trainers doing great with he and I. [big Grin]

Boocoo - we got more snow last night, about 2", so our schools had a two hour late start. Though I'm not feeling so great so I just took the day off. I am thankful for the indoor, but because it's been staying in the 20's (mostly) during the day, and the teens at night, parts of the arena are frozen. The roads are really icey right now, so we'll see if they freeze more overnight. We could be having another late start. Stay safe and warm!!

Barklays my Bay - welcome to the Dressage Chit Chat thread [smile] . I'm McKenzie, and I'm in highschool. I have two horses (the ones in my siggy), and I currently ride at the Second and Third Levels of dressage. It seems like everyone has been having nasty weather lately, and I personally am sick of it. It sounds like you had a nice ride - I love rubber reins, which reminds me, I need to go buy a new pair... Do you have any pictures of your/your daughter's horse? I am sure if Rio found him he is quite nice!

[smiley Wavey]

Barklay, welcome back. Didn't you used to post here before? So is Rio your trainer? If so, lucky you!!

Luv, staying home is a good idea. Our schools are closed again tomorrow, Wed. Wow. We had snow today and all the roads are completely iced over. No traffic on them at all. I am glad to see people are finally learning and staying off the roads when they are icy. We went out to play for a while in it, but bundled up as I was, I couldn't take much. Definitely not used to this kind of weather.

I am not even going to see Beau today! [Frown] First time in months. I always go see my boy, but the roads are too dangerous and I know the BO is taking good care of all the horses. I'll get there tomorrow. It's supposed to warm up to 36 tomorrow!! LOL!

Everyone stay dry and warm.

Thanks Luv and boocoo!

And I did post a weeeee bit a couple of years ago when my daughter was taking dressage lessons.

Now I'm back in the dicipline, so yes, I think I could use some help here and there. lol

No Rio's not my trainer, but my friend [big Grin] . If we lived nearby, she'd be our trainer for sure. *grins* She trained young trak's at the farm who owned/bred my gelding onyxx. We'd been shopping for months, and she kept say 'tammy you've GOT to come look at this horse'. I kept dragging my feet thinking traks were fizzy. She's was right, and I bought him. And he's not fizzy. He's a great teacher for me. I'm lucky.

I'll post some pics of us later!

Off to ride.

luv- Schoolmasters are great to learn changes on. Jade and I were starting flying changes right before she passed away. Teddy will get there, it takes some more developing and balance [smile] I bet he'll catch on quick though!

Sorry to hear your sick! Hope you feel better soon, though I always enjoyed missing school...

Boocoo-First day back today...it was alright but it's syllabus week, so its pretty laid back and easy. I'm a Business Management major, which some things are interesting but like my electives suck! I just can't wait to get it all done and over with! Ugh! I know I need a degree to get a decent paying job....even though I'm a wistful thinker that I'll meet a rich man and marry into money! HAH!!

Sounds like your area is having some fun..haha..weather. I'm sure the BO is taking great care of Beau for you [big Grin]

Barkleys my Bay- you are more than welcome to join in! That's awesome that Rio found that horse for you and your daughter! Glad you are having some great time and lesson w/ your horse!

My name is Lauren BTW. And I do a lot of catch riding, but curerntly am help selling a pony named Scotch..

Again welcome!

Tami, nice to see you joining us! I cant wait to see more pics of you on O. Sounds like you guys are starting to click.

Sorry for all you who are stuck in the icy weather. Its total opposite here. So hot! In the 80s. Its still getting down into the 50s at night, which is nice, but I think theres rain around the bend which will bring cooler weather, but only for a few days. Ben is so wooly that this weather is killer on him. We may have to body clip him to keep him from overheating.

Had a great lesson on Sunday. I posted pics and vids if you havent had a chance to look and comment. And also posted pics of our great ride a few days ago. Layla is going really well.

The chiro was out again yesterday. The not wanting to bend properly to the left and really lift that shoulder was b/c she was out in her 5th vertabre which is right there near the shoulder. He put it in and Im hoping in about a week it will be all ready to go. She was slightly out in her sacrum and hips but not too bad.

Since Layla got the day off today, I helped Sarah with Ben. Hes got her number when it comes to working and cantering. So I just helped her with timing and letting her know hes forward and not nag him. I got some good video for her. Esp at the walk. B/c this horse has an amazing walk when hes moving, like a 6-8" overstep. She kept kicking him to move and I was telling her hes taking bigger steps so he doesnt need to feel like hes flying. So I video'd it for her and she saw it and a def light bulb went off. I think when we dont see ourselves, we dont know how good it looks.. or bad! [Wink] But I think me doing that for her really helped. S

he got him to canter on both leads with not as MUCH difficulty as normal. The big obsticle with him is that after a walk break, he thinks thats it and wont move. So our goal was to get him to w/t/c one more time after the walk break. And she did it. So it was nice.

The lady from Am South bank called to ask me some questions about the position. She should be calling to set up an interview next week. Im really hoping this goes through.

Heres a pic of the crazy beautiful sunset tonight..

-

And the shim pad was WAYYY too much. So my trainer also suggested a folded towel. So I did that, and heres the results.

-

And just b/c they are TOO funny.. Layla being.. Layla coming into heat.. and being silly and begging for cookies

-

-

-

Boocoo - the day off was rather nice! We are having a bit of rain, and it's supposed to get into the 20's AGAIN tonight, so we the roads may be a complete mess again tomorrow. As of now, I am guessing we will be having a late start again tomorrow. I WISH it would "warm up" to 36!! [Crazy]

Barklay - how are you liking dressage? It's really a wonderful sport [smile] . Can't wait for pics!

3Day - schoolmasters are wonderful, and should never be taken advantage for...the good ones seem like they are hard to come by and are WONDERFUL teachers.

Shantel - what a beatiful sunset! Simply gorgeous. I am totally envious of your weather right now...in the 80's?? Holy cow. Glad you got the chiro out, I think I need to do the same for Teddy. Sounds like miss Layla is doing very well. The towel method worked great for me until I bought my Theo Sommer, when I had my Dutch gelding. Crossing my fingers you get the position at Am South! BTW, Layla has got the kindest, prettiest face.

I am hoping to go ride crazy Ali tomorrow, but it all depends on the weather. Ugh. Have I mentioned I'm sick of the cold?? [Wink][big Grin]

Krazy, gorgeous sunset.

3Day, hang in there, those rich men are hard to come by, not to mention usually old and ugly! [Crazy][ROTFL]

Luv, 36 sounds quite warm at this point! It got to I think 32 today here. The ice is finally starting to melt and I got to go see Beau. He was ready to get out of his stall and go for a walk in the covered arena, which was 1/4 covered with ice, on the north side. The icicles are 3 feet long. I haven't seen icicles like that since I lived in Montana. He was quite frisky during his walk! I took his blankie off and brushed him and cleaned him all up, put his blankie back on and dumpes his icy buckets of water out and filled them up with lukewarm water. Course they probably got icy again pretty quick. Back to school/work tomorrow. We start 1 hour late, although, that concerns me. I think it's to early. They are calling for freezing temps and freezing rain again tonight, so I am worried about ice again in the a.m. We'll see how it goes.

Took my son to Target today also. He had some Cmas $$ he wanted to spend and was going stir crazy in the house. We had a Starbucks. I had a coupon for any drink at Starbucks, because an employee spilled hot coffee all over my hand and wrist the other day. Quite brilliant of her, eh? It was worth the free drink though. I got a huge white choc mocha espresso!!

Stay warm everyone!

We finally got UP to 20 degrees after a couple days of "highs" in the single digits. I'm annoyed with the management of the apartment complex right now. We had about four inches of snow overnight Saturday into Sunday morning. Yesterday morning, we still had 4" of snow on the sidewalks out back. Graceful person that I am, I managed to slip and fall on the snowy walk. So I now have a stiff, sore, swollen ankle. Thankfully it's only twisted, not broken. But it was NOT fun being in the -6 weather (air temp, not wind chill) sitting in the snow wondering if I was going to be able to walk to the apartment. I was ready to crawl if I needed to, but fortunately the pain subsided enough to limp upstairs. Where I promptly had to lay down on the floor to avoid passing out as my body tried to go into shock. When I got home from class in the afternoon, I saw that the walk had been sort of shoveled. Meaning I could see the path of the shovel, but there was still a good inch of snow on the sidewalk. So I went by the office and a lightly as I could mentioned that I had fallen on the snow and that two days after the storm was too long to leave the shoveling. And the sent someone to (re)shovel the walk right away.

Welcome, Tammy! It's good to see you on the dressage board. [smile]

Fess is going through an intersting phase these days. He'd like me to believe that on a lunge he has no idea what the words "whoa" and "walk" mean. So we spent over half an hour on walk, halt or trot,walk transitions on the lunge. Fess knows darn well what I want, but thinks it's stupid. He'll toss his head anticipating my tug on the lunge, but not give me the downward transition. Silly snot! So we have a bit of work on basics. Then I got on for a few minutes, just so I could get a brief ride in before our lesson tomorrow night. We kept it simple, with just a bit of walking and trotting. I was happy that Fess was actually initiating contact this evening. I put him back in his Happy Mouth, loose ring snaffle. I have been trying Fess in a bit that *should* fit his mouth better than the Happy Mouth, but Fessor's answer to trying out that bit was somewhere between "No," and "****, No!" [Confused] Ah, well.

Classes have started up for second semester and seem like they'll be ok. I don't have any complaints so far, though that is subject to change... [smile]

Tracy

Boocoo - it is 33 degrees right now (8:30pm my time), which is much "warmer" than it has been. We had a two hour late start again this morning, but thankfully the roads weren't too bad. Unfortunately it's now starting to rain, so if freezes again overnight, we may have another late start on our hands. We'll see... Your Starbucks drink sounds yummy! Ugh, now I'm craving caffiene... Stay safe on the roads tomorrow!

Tracy - yikes, that is some chilly weather you've been having! Sorry to hear about your ankle, that sounds painful. Glad your appt. FINALLY got the snow scraped off, but like you said, a tad too late [Wink] . Glad your ankle is not broken!! Hope you have a nice lesson [smile]

I rode Alibi today, and she was full of energy! We were planning on jumping but ended up not doing so because the arena got too crowded. Hopefully I'll be doing some tomorrow though, and maybe I'll get pictures of the wrinkle saddle [big Grin] . My two kitties went to the vet today. Ben is about 9 months, and he is 10.4 lbs. Jake is 6 months

[smiley Wavey]

[ 01-17-2007, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

I had a good ride on Spectrum on Tuesday and a fantastic ride of Gayla today. No, she didn't turn into my FEI prospect overnight, but in my eyes she might as well have. I thought it was going to be a terrible ride when I sat down on her because she was acting all racehorse-y, but with lots of walking and patience and patterns, it turned into one of the best rides. The first trot was quick and tense as it usually is, but she settled in and relaxed faster than I expect.

Then, *insert dramatic gasp*, she stretched out and put her head down at the walk! I don't know what was happening, because she was carrying herself at a good walk, but I couldn't feel whether she was on the bit or not. I was so excited I didn't care. We also got some head-lowering, calm-as-butter strides at the trot too. What a doll.

Boocoo-No, I am not in the market for a horse. I don't own Spectrum or Gayla, although I certaintly wish owned them both. I admit, I dream about having my own real horse, not the sweetheart pony not the hyper-active ex-racehorse, but a horse I can go to a local event or dressage show too, and that has a comfortable canter. Eh, I sound bitter again. On the otherhand, it sounds like you have some pretty wicked weather down there. Just a good excuse to go out and get more Starbucks!

It's odd, however, that you mentioned looking for a horse, because last night I was joking with my dad because he got ANOTHER kayak, and said "This means I get a horse,right?". His response was unusual, being "Well, yeah, that is true." I thought my heart stopped. I am trying not to go nuts right now or get my hopes up.

3day--You are made of tough stuff, and I know you can make it through school. Plus, once you graduate with a nice degree, you can go to those fancy business meetings THEN maybe you could meet your rich man. [Wink] Otherwise, stick it out and make the money yourself, because it will probably feel so much more wonderful.

Barkely--Glad you got to check out the Dressage Board. I "lurk" and occasionally respond on the H/J board so I recognize you a bit. I, like McKenzie, am in highschool, most unwillingly, and I ride an Arabian named Spectrum and a OTTB named Gayla.

Krazy--Great pictures! The sunset is amazing, weather sounds deliriously nice, Layla is a ham, and the updates are always the best things to read!

TracyA--Fess has been channeling my teenager attitude apparently. Perhaps its the weather or winds? Some days I don't even get on Gayla because she is wacko over the winds. Good luck anyways!

luvhorses--I want, correction, NEED to see these pictures of you jumping! [Wink] You will be fantastic don't worry. Good decision to not jump in a crowded ring though, as it can get nasty quickly if people don't pay attention when you call out "blue/white fence and 20 meter circle to it". On the other hand, its always a good idea to have someone IN the ring when you are jumping, just in case, but I am positive you know that.

Whew. Long Post. [big Grin]

Off the study the Medici family and other such AP European Histoy folk for my mid-terms. PM if you have any really good Snow Dances.

Luv, you are brave than I to ride in this weather. I can't even hardly walk Beau around the arena, he is jumping around and you know how a horse gets all round and trying to trot?.......... and getting in trouble for not acting like a gentleman. If he would only get that round when I ride him. I won't do that till I can longe him a couple days first and that requires the arena to dry out around the edges some. Probably by Sat. I am feeding and cleaning stalls all weekend so the BO's can go away for the weekend.

Tracy, glad you didn't break anything on the ice. Glad you told them in the office.

Ilovedobby, I think I would be looking into this owning your own horse thing!!! Sounds verrrrry interesting!!

Boocoo- *sighs* yes, I do need to stick it out. This semester I'm truly going to have to whip myself into shape and do some school work for a change. Just finding the motivation to do it...blah. Hope the weather breaks for you. Have fun at the barn this weekend [big Grin] Thanks for the encouragement...makes my day brighter.

luv- yeh girl, I second the jump pics. hehe I know how the whole energetic ponies are! Fun! Was this the kittens first trip to the vet??

TracyA- haha funny how horses make you think they forgot something and try to trick you. They can be sneaky!!! Good luck in college....it started back up for me, and man I'm already complaining about it! lol.

Krazy- Great pics! Layla is too cute!

Dobbbbbby- haha i just love your SN name. Thanks...hehe yes I can just picture it now. I'm actually hoping to go co-ownership w/ my olderst sister business....but we shall see where I'll end up in a few years. I'm employed by her, and she would like me to open up another store for her. But I'm currently not qualified or experienced enough in the seafood business nor have enough time to do so. But hopefully in the future.

Glad that you've been having some great rides! no worries about owning a horse, I didn't get my first horse until I was 17! There will be a day when the opportunity is there and bam you'll be an owner!

Scotch had the last 2 days off!!! He might get tomorrow off as well, unless I get to the barn super early to ride and be at work by 10! I work till close. ugh! I hate how school interfers w/ my riding time!!! lol

What do you all do when time is very limited and you can't go ride the pony? How long have you let them have off for? i normally ride 6 days a week....though not as rigid in the winter months. How many times do you try to ride in the winter months? Summer/spring/fall I have to keep the conditioning on the horses for Events so my horses are normally worked/hacking conditions/gallop or trot sets..etc during competion season.

Just some open ended questions.

dobby - no jumping pics tonight, forgetful me left the camera at home [Duh] . Next time for sure!! Glad you had a such a nice ride on Gayla, sounds like she's catching on. And I sure hope that the owning-your-own-horse-thing works out [big Grin] .

Boocoo - the ponies sure do get a good lunging before most rides in winter, that's for sure! I love seeing Teddy and Alibi trot around in their paddocks totally round, and then we get on and it's not quite so easy, hmmmm.... [Question][Wink] .

3Day - nope, the kitties have been to the vet a few times before. Ben, the older cat, had worms when we got him from the Animal Shelter, so he had to go in to take care of that, then he was throwing up blood one time so he went in then as well, and a third time for being nuetered, but I guess the vaccinations makes a fourth time for him. Jake has been in twice, once for being nuetered and then for vacc. recently. Good thing the vet is close to us!!

I ride about 5 times per week in the winter, sometimes 4. With the weather (snow, ice, wind storm/power outages, etc.) it's been hard to go out consistently/frequently. Now things are "warming up" so I suppose I'll ride more often now. It helps when I am at my dad's house (I am with my each parent 50% of the time, as they are divorced) because bazooka (Maya) and I live about 3 minutes apart (just a 5 min. walk!) so we can carpool. It'll be REALLY nice when I get a car (I will start drivers ed this March) as I can transport myself (and Maya, lol) whenever I choose.

Alibi and Sunny (Maya's horse) were both good today, for jumping. We set up an approx. 1' vertical and probably an 18"-20" crossrail. I walked Alibi over the verticle at first, as did Maya, and they both knocked it over a few times [Crazy] Silly ponies!! Overall though they were excellent.

3day, we all need a little encouragement sometimes. You just have to git r done!!! [big Grin] I am doing a job right now that I don't care for to much. It's not bad, just very boring for me because I am waaay over qualified for the job in the first place. So is the other girl they just hired. But we both accepted these positions knowing this, because we both needed a foot in the door. So I have to stick it out till May and then hope something better comes along for next school year.

I usually ride 5 to 6 days a week and Beau is turned out 4 hours a day in a huge grassy pasture. This is the first time in my life, and I am old, that I have not bee able to ride in the winter because of weather. When we lived in TN we had an indoor, AZ and Cal never had bad weather long enough. Here they usually don't either, but this Ice Storm kicked our booties. I have not ridden since last Thurs. Fri. I was tired and then it rained Sat. and then all the ice came. Now it's to cold and even under the covered arena it's to slick. I am hoping to longe him tomorrow and maybe ride Sunday and then keep him going, but we are supposed to get a lot more rain, so that might slow us up again. So I decided that I can't do nothing about it, so I am not going to worry about it. He is already in very good condition and I get him out and hand walk him every day. He won't take long to leg back up and my first show isn't till March or April.

Well, I finally figured out how to hook up the video camera to the VCR to get the video of Fessor and me onto a VHS tape to send in with the adult rider clinic application. So, I'll fill out the paperwork tonight and send it and the tape to selection committee. Wish us luck!

Tracy

Best of luck Tracy!!

It is cold enough today to see your breath and raining to boot, but after feeding and cleaning 8 stalls and trucking out in muddy pastures to feed outside horses, I was quite toasty, so I saddled up Beau, longed him and the rode him. He was awesome after 8 days off. I thought he might be stiff, but he warmed up nicely and trotted off nicely, no stickiness or stiffness. I could only use about 2/3 of the arena, so did not attempt to canter. I worked on half/halt, re-balancing on a circle and then worked on medium trot to lengthening trot transitions on a circle, then worked on my tear drop circles for first level test 1, then we worked on medium walk to free walk and back again. He was so incredibly supple and loose that one of the GP riders at the barn who has her gold medal, came in to watch us and commented that Beau is a naturally talented dressage horse! [Yay][Yay] That made me sit up and ride, let me tell ya!!! [big Grin] I was thrilled with her comment. Anyway, good ride, so no more weather holding us back. Just go clean 8 stalls and I'm revved up and ready to go!! Then I fed all the horses lunch, came home and I'm ready to pass out! [ROTFL] I have to go back and feed and clean again at dinner, but hubby will go with me and help me this time. Hopefully he's home from work in time!

luv- oo my! Well glad to hear that those kittens are doing better then [big Grin] Thing will definately get easier when you have your own car. Sometimes winter months stink such as this weekend. It's FREEZING here! like 20ish....brrr..

Boocoo- Thanks again...lol yup git 'er done. It sounds like you had a great day/ride!! What a great compliment and I bet that certainly made you feel better! And for jobs most have to start at the bottom eh....though I'm hoping I'll be able to open another store w/ my sister when I'm ready. lol.

TracyA- good luck! Keep our fingers cross for you.

I finally got to ride Scotch today. And was it ever cold! The wind was blowing so hard. I have to bundle Scotch up just to walk from the barn to the indoor. The barns aren't attached. So he had a quarter sheet on then our fleece cooler over him. He was pretty decent today..I didn't even lunged him just got on and off we went. Went up North today and that's where I'm at right now. Had a lesson w/ the dressage trainer on one a baby that is in for training. Man is he a character. Of course the wind was blowing wicked hard which then makes the indoor arena sound very scarey and creekey. hehe I had fun to say the least. [smile]

I'm watching the Count of Monte Cristo and searching for some schooling jumper/dressage shows to take Scotch to next month.

I have a baby shower to go to tomorrow...and i still have to get a gift...AHHHH!!!

Stay warm! Have a great weekend.

I am in the process of uploading video of Fessor and me from a couple weeks ago. It's going rather SLOWLY since it is a twelve minute long video... If anyone is interested in seeing it, I can post a link to the video once it is up.

Tracy