Sign in to follow this  
SightUnseen

Dressage Chit-Chat Thread Volume 13!

First of all clinic update: I FINALLY got to talk to Julie, and VERY glad that I did, too. I asked her first off about Razzie's hocks. I told her sticky Thursday, AWESOME Saturday, sticky Tuesday . . . so am *I* to blame and basically can ONLY ride well when supervised in a lesson [bang Head] or are we to assume his hocks are going. Gotta love, Julie - She told me it was my bad riding causing the stickiness!!! Ahhhh, lovely. [Duh] FINE!!! Don't hold back or anything!!! So then I asked her about me riding with Barend. she said that I would really like him. He is quiet and effective, a totally different style of teaching than her, but very classical. It will do me good to ride with someone else, so yes, I should ride with him. OK, fine. That's settled. So I asked about a lesson. Sure, how about Saturday. ??? Now I was really confused. How can I do a lesson and clinic the same day??? Julie thought the clinic was still scheduled for the 17th. I told her it had been changed to this Saturday, and she FREAKED. Apparently, Deb and Maureen who were setting the clinic up, never bothered to get Julie's permission (she is barn manager) to have the clinic at the barn this weekend. BIG NO NO!!!!

So bottom line - they do NOT have permission to schedule a clinic at the barn this weekend. It is NOT okay, and Julie has forbidden it because that is not enough notice to the other boarders to give them fair opportunity to sign up if they so choose or plan their rides/lessons around the clinic. Now I guess the reason for the clinic change was that Barend can't do the 17th, so now it is looking like perhaps the 24th??? Not sure at this point, but I told them whatever date they pick they would have to pencil me in as a last minute ride due to Razzie's hocks. I just can't commit long term in advance.

Although, last night Razzie's vet was at the barn for another horse, and Razzie felt simply AMAZING. Go figure. I wish he would make up his little horsey mind!!!!

~Shelly~

Red - Feel better!! I had that stomach thing a few weeks back, and it is a nasty one.

Boocoo - WOW, sounds like an AMAZING lesson!!! Well done!!! I know what you mean about the warm temps. They really help so much. The heat in the arena had been on for a while when I got there last night, so it was nice and toasty warm when we stepped into the ring last night. I really think that helped Raz so much. The heat is great, but it takes the ring a really long time to warm up if the heat has been off for a long time. And the chiro - just can't say enough for the chiro help. Does amazing things for a horse.

Jocelyn - It has been brutally cold recently, but next week is supposed to be a little warmer.

OnceWasTag - Glad to hear your ride went so much better this time.

Pintodressage - Welcome!!

Tracy - Most horses can do 2nd. The part of 3rd that stops horses from progressing is flying changes. Horses either get them and can usually get the rest of the elements to progress on to 3rd, or they can't get clean enough changes (or no changes at all) and top out at 2nd. Many RIDERS fail at 2nd. 2nd level is the "make or break" level for riders. I think I would choose the whip over the spur since you still working on getting your hip/leg relaxed and in position. Once that is steady and where it is supposed to be, then you can add a spur. In the meantime, rely on a whip. Safer and less chance of accidental usage!! I love your choice of show name for Fessor!!! Try not to stress about the lateral work. It is hard to get it just right. It takes a lot of time and practice. Last night I started to work some half pass, and WHAM, before I knew what was happening, Raz slammed into a half pass on his own across the arena before I could even START asking for it. Fine. Turned down the next long side to try again, and Mr. Smartypants did the same thing - just exploded into half pass before I could even THINK half pass. *sigh* Guess we have hit THAT stage of the half pass training where HE thinks HE knows more than *I* do. GREAT!! I so hate this stage of training because they weren't correct half passes, but at least he was feeling good last night!!! Now I have to struggle to STOP Raz, and get him listening to me again, and start the half pass from the beginning again. Tough stage. Trust me, Tracy, we ALL have a lot of work to do, just different work!!!!

3Day - Yes, I have Raz on weekly IM injections of the generic Adequan which helps him TONS. Don't know where we would be without that. Gotta love the sneaky horses. They definitely make better riders of us!!!

~Shelly~

Thanks, Shelly! It sounds like it was a VERY good thing that you spoke with Julie. Oops. I can just imagine the reaction if everyone showed up for the clinic without the managment realizing that they were coming...

There is another reason why I should ride with a whip, at least occasionally. I'm not all that practiced in using a whip, ESPECIALLY a regulation length dressage whip. One of these days I need to get used to the feel enough to use the whip where I want it with the amount of "touch" that I want without needing to THINK about it. [smile]

Does the "ok, I have this one or two things I want to focus on" list constantly changing ever end? I will start by identifying an area that Fessor or I or both of us need to work on. And as soon as I think about focusing on that area, something new pops up. Then we work on the something new, only to realize that we never made much progress in addressing the older "something". Sometimes I just want to [bang Head] I wonder if I'll ever feel like a reasonably competent rider. Ah well. For now, let's work on learning to relax, learning to isolate our parts, and learning some concept of seat. I could add LOTS more to that list, but I think those will take us a long way toward achieving other ideas on the list.

Tracy

Hi everyone,

Well I've been so freaking busy at work these days I haven't had much of a chance to visit this board, and I've missed it terribly! [smiley Wavey]

Tried to get caught up on what-all's going on with everybody, but you are a far too busy bunch to keep track of!

Anyways, my to-do list is chock full at the moment. Pokey's leasing lady bought a lovely Hannoverian last month, so I'm looking for another person to lease him. He's doing great, for a 17 year old. Jag's almost qualified for championships--he needs 2 more scores and he's in. He's got a show on the 18th that I won't be there to see, but I've asked my trainer to DVD it for me...his last one on Jan 28 was breathtaking. He's turning into such a neat guy!

My riding has had its ups & downs... [Confused] Some days are diamonds, some days are stones as they say. I haven't been able to get there much to ride, I'm lucky if I get 2 days of riding in a week...not enough to progress very fast. But we had a really good ride on Wednesday, so I'm hoping I can build on that come Saturday morning.

I've signed up for an online MBA program, at a university in Virginia, and I start school in April. Or rather, school will be coming to me via the internet. This should be interesting.... [Crazy]

I'll get all caught up on everything, give me a day or two... [Not Worthy]

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

Does the "ok, I have this one or two things I want to focus on" list constantly changing ever end?

Unfortunately, no. I know how frustrated you feel about making progress. You have a list, and what you really want to do is start crossing things off the list to SEE the progress. It doesn't work that way. You will have an every growing list of issues that you can never cross anything off of. Just because you improve something doesn't mean it is permanently solved and can be removed from the list.

Also, progress, especially on position type issues, is TREMENDOUSLY hard to measure. I've been taking lessons with Julie for 4 and a half years now, and in every single lesson without fail I hear shoulders back. Well good grief, can't I learn to keep my blasted shoulders back by now??? Well in the course of 4 and a 1/2 years I've gone from leaning half way up my horse's neck and needing to bring my shoulders a good 12 INCHES BACK to sitting relatively straight in the saddle and needing to ROLL MY SHOULDERS BACK A HALF INCH. HUGE, HUGE PROGRESS. Still can't cross it off my list though. Still hear it every single lesson. Every single thing that Julie harped on me in that first lesson, I still get harped on now 4 and a 1/2 years later. Doesn't mean I haven't learned anything or made any progress. Just means those are the things I still need to work on, and probably always will.

If your trainer is ADDING more things to your list, it means you have made enough progress on the first few things on the list to be able to start working on new things in addition to the first few things you were asked to work on. Part of what makes this lovely sport so difficult is that you have to learn to multi-task!!! You have to learn to do many different things very well all at the same time without getting tense and tight. Just as you start to figure out A, B and C, your trainer throws in D and E!!! Doesn't meant you stop working on A, B and C though. Perhaps though instead of your trainer having to say, "A" every three seconds to remind you, she only has to say it once every 5 minutes. THAT is how you measure progress. Don't expect to stop hearing "A", just hope to have to hear it less often because you get it correct more often!!! Make sense??

Okay, to add to this a little more, remember that you and Fessor have had some pretty MAJOR setbacks this year. You moved across the country, which is very major for a blind horse. You have started law school which adds an unbelievable amount of stress to your life. Just try to leave that behind when you climb into the saddle. I've been there, Tracy, and I know how impossible of a task that truly is even on the best of days. Then Fessor's whole shoeing/lameness issue. What a setback that was. Now you are working with a new trainer. Cut both of you some slack and realize that you ARE a very good rider, and doing a very good job with Fessor. You just have look at your progress and measure it in the right light - not in terms of "what can I cross of my list", but rather "she only had to remind me 200 times in tonight's lesson rather than 500 times!!!" THAT is progress. You just have to learn to recognize it as progress. [Wink]

~Shelly~

Tracy, I know where you're at! I'm at the stage finally where I feel like we should be accomplishing more, but we aren't, and I've had to refocus on some stuff, and I have to remind myself HOW far I've come.

Took De Facto Trainer to sit me down and say "piece by piece, tell me exactly what we need to work on next. Okay. Canter. What exactly about the canter? Okay. Rhythm. How do we establish rhythm? Okay. We need to fix you. Exactly what do we need to fix with you?"

Etc.

I've written everything out and I go into every ride with a goal, so I feel accomplished, hopefully, by the end of the ride. But yes, this is frustrating sometimes!

I knew that they were raised in 2006, but after I posted that I realised that twords the begining of the season my scores were in the low to mid 50's... no wonder I thought it was so far off! By the time I was scoring well I had stopped entereing Qualifying classes!

Murphys Law.

pintodressage - Welcome!! As you can see, we talk a lot here on the chit chat thread [smile] . By the way, I too am in Western WA .

Tracy - Like Shelly said, progressing past 2nd Level is the point where many riders "max out" and do not progress, and the flying changes can cause issues for some horses. It would be totally awesome if Fess was your Bronze Medal horse, and I am sure that goal will be on your list of achievements!! I know what you mean about the "list"....mine is ever changing. There are so many things to work on, and with certain strengths and weaknesses of both horse and rider, it seems to constantly get tweeked and "edited". Oh, and it sounds like a whip is the way to go for now, and espeically since Fess can't see it [big Grin] .

3Day - do you have the Wahl pocket pro? I've been considering getting one of those for fetlocks, whiskers, bridlepaths, etc. for shows and clinics. I too think I should invest in a SoloComb, they seem like a neat invention, espeically for rather impatient horses like Teddy!!

Shelly - wow, sounds like the clinic planning/scheduling has gone crazy!! Really good thing you checked in with Julie. Don't you just love trainers? My trainer does NO beating around the bush. Remind me, how much do you pay per injection for the Adequan? Do you find it hard to inject?

DQ - Good luck finding a new lessee for Pokey, you shouldn't have any issues. And good luck with your riding and online school!

SpotsAtX - hehe, no worries. We will see about qualifying for Second Level, I am confident right now I can, but things are different at shows. How is the vet check going on this possible new horse?? Sounds super exciting!!

Jocelyn, man it is cold where you are, eh?

Tag, so glad to hear CK was good for you. We need to see photos!!!

Luv, Teddy's mane sure is thick. I found my Solocomb today. Thought I better dig it out, though I don't thin Beau's mane much. I do the wide fat braids, so doesn't have to be too thin or too short. Makes life a lot easier! [big Grin]

Welcome Pintodressage. What breed, age and level is your horse? We will need to see pictures!!!

Tracy, I always used to have Beau counterbent, cause I never could bend myself right. Now my new trainer has us turning at the waist and keeping that inside shoulder back, balancing and using seat and leg aids correctly. Sure does help. Lots of practice, I tell ya!!! Whew!!! It never ends. Always a work in progress. That's what I love about dressage!

Yeah 3day, you will definitely have to try out the Solocomb. Don't get one of the other brands, they don't seem to work as well. How is school going these days?

Smithereens, well sounds like the 24th would be a better date for the clinic anyway. Maybe Razz's hocks will be done by then, eh? Yes, the lesson was too great. I did not get a chance to ride today, had to get my truck tags and drivers license. You know there is always a hassle with all of that. Did manage to get r done though! Our heat here is the sun, which has been sorely missing this winter. Not usually so cold here. I am looking forward to spring. There will be a schooling show in March, sure would be nice if they would post the dates, eh? I am planning on that one and will do 1st 1 & 3. Then another schooling show in April and then first recognized will be in May and that one is a two day. But right down the road, so I probably won't even get a stall.

Nice to see you on here, Deequeue. Will you be showing Jag this spring yourself? Sure hope so. Can't wait to hear how you do. Good luck with School.

Thanks, all. I'm very lucky to have such a special horse. [smile] I just need to relax and appreciate how far we have come rather than worrying about how far I'd still like to go.

I have a rum cake in the oven to add to tomorrow's festivities. Yummy! We're having the annual Jan - Mar birthday party for the extended family. Then bed and up in time for show team tomorrow. I have an invitation to join in! [smile] It's supposed to be somewhat warmer tomorrow. Finally! I am ready for a bit of a thaw.

Have a good weekend, all.

Tracy

Tracy- Just have to practice with the whip. It can be a helpful tool! Ooo never had rum cake sounds tasty!! Enjoy your family and weekend!!

Shelly- Most definately. It is amazing how IM shots can make your horse feel so much more "oiled" per se. Though I never had to give any of my horses Adequan or Legend, but when I was WS and would hack out one of her event horses a day or so after the IM I could definately feel a difference.

OMG I can't believe they didn't tell Julie about the switch! Uh oh....no bueno....hopefully things will work themselves out. Sounds like the clinician would be good for you. IMO it can be very helpful to ride w/ someonoe else just to get a different perspective or hear different ways of communicating.

Deequee- Glad to see you around again@ Hopefully you'll find someone to lease Pokey out! Everyone has their good and bad days. I sure have, had one a few days ago. Then I'll have mediocre days...and then there are days where I'm like g's...that was just AMAZING. Are you planning on showing Jag this year? good luck with your online class!!

Luv- ummm..yup!! it's so tiny! I can't remeber if mine would work on bridle paths...I think it used too. But now my blade is a bit dull. lol. I have to go scope out the solocomb still. I just got the sale magazine and saw a couple pair of breeches that I could use....along with many other items. heheh.

Boocoo- I will do that. School is going....I'm trying to keep myself motivated this semester. Though I still have yet to kick into gear about studying.....I still have yet to study for an exam. Just got back my first accounting exam and did fairly well! I'm taking MicroEcon...which is pretty tough, just have to get on top of it now. It's hard for me. I am easily distracted when it comes to school work. blah.

No pony today. [Frown] Had to work till late. I rode him last night...lol at 9:30!! He was like eh? It's a bit late...but ok. We had some nice light jazz playing in the background while we rode. Tomorrow we'll go for a ride and maybe do a jump school. I'm dying to go on a hack, but it has been just too cold.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Boocoo - I think I will get the SoloComb, especially since I have over $100 in gift certificates to Dover! I just don't know if I should get the SoloComb with replaceable blades or not...?

Tracy - Have a good time at the Birthday party, sounds like it will be fun!

3Day - ohhh, well I think I will get one. I believe they are on sale right now for like $12.90 in the Dover sale catalog (which I also recently got). I am totally drooling over 1/2 the catalog...

Grooming for my trainer and feeding tomorrow, as I always do. It's a long day (8:30am to 5:00pm) but worth it, and I can ride both Teddy and Alibi, which is nice. It's hard dividing my time between two horses, espeically when I am trying to get Ali in good shape to sell, but ALSO prepare Teddy and I for our upcoming show season! Ugh, not to mention schoolwork, or Driver's Ed which is coming up. I will be busy...but luckily Driver's Ed doesn't last forever [Razz] .

Ohhh, and I am getting a dog in June! I am really excited. I have wanted one practically all my life, and have finally convinced my parents to get one. We are looking for a medium sized dog, and probably one that is at least 6-8 months old. Any dog owners on here??

[smiley Wavey]

luvhorses223 - We couldn't get the x-rays from his last vetting, so we have to pay for all new x-rays [bang Head] NOT looking forward to that bill... all views, of all joints. -dies- But he's worth it, so, it's okay [Razz] We sent our deposit in overnight mail yesterday, so they SHOULD get it today, but they have to sign for it so if they're not home from Maryland they'll get it Monday. I'm so impaitent about this! ARG!

3day, I know what you mean about school. It is hard to concentrate. I have always struggled like that myself. Amazing though, when I do, I do very well.

Luv, I have the replaceable blades for mine, but have yet to use them. Course I have only used mine about 4 times altogether. Might be wise to go ahead and get them, then you'll have them on hand.

I have two dogs. A 2 year old Golden Retriever named Aslan. He is really our sons. And a 9 year old German Shepherd, Chief. Awesome dogs. They are big though and stay outside all the time. We have a shed in our back yard and put a doggie door on one end and put two small chain link fence panels across that end of the shed inside. That way they can't get into the rest of the shed. We put their dog beds in there and a heat lamp for cold winter nights and a fan for summer. On the outside there is a run on the end of it. We never shut them in unless we have company or need to for a specific reason, like son shooting his bow and arrow. They love it and know it's their house.

Waiting for it to warm up a tad so I can go ride. Hubby jusst got home from a Mtn. Bike ride with the dogs and brought me and son a Starbucks!! Woohoo!!! [big Grin]

[ 02-10-2007, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

TracyA-I've been following all the work you have been doing with Fessor, awesome, keep up the good work. I know I moved after just a year of dressage lessons and had a gap of about a year and it took about 6 months to get back to where I was and am just now actually moving on. I just showed did a couple of schooling shows in the intro classess last year. Looking at training level this year I hope.

luv thanks for the welcome. The wet weather here still gets to me. I'm from the other side of the state but it is still better than the winter and summer in Iowa. I'm a dog owner myself. I have a Cocker Spaniel, I find he fits the size I wanted and he has a great temperment which can be hard to find unless you get one from a good breeder.

Shelley,

So good to see your well marked horse doing so well in dressage. I'll try to keep up with whats going on. You all are very busy.

I had a great lesson today. I'm hoping to move from doing intro stuff to doing some training level this year. But I am so tired after a good lesson I just want to go to bed early.

I'm working on my masters degree online and hope to finish in another month or so and find a job that can supply my horse habit.

Julie

SpotsAtX - That will be a significant bill [Razz] , but like you said, he's worth it!! Crossing my fingers everything works out.

Boocoo - sounds like your doggies have a nice life! StarBucks sounds SO good right now...I actually got a drink on Friday. I like the aspberry mocha frappocinos [big Grin] .

pintodressage - you're quite welcome, and yes, we've had quite the winter here! I am actually looking at purchasing a Cocker Spainel. My mom grew up with the breed, and I just really like them. My mom doesn't want a dog that sheds a lot, so she thinks we should get a Cockapoo (Cocker Spainel and Poodle mix)... do you have a lot of shedding issues with your dog?

[smiley Wavey]

Hey guys. Ive been able to ride Layla these past two days and she has been great. I moved her over to a d ring bean snaffle instead of the flat french link loose ring and shes going well. The d ring offers her more security with contact than the loose ring so she seems to like it.

Sarah had stacked 2 cavaletti on top of each other and was jumping Ben over it. So I jumped Layla over it 2 days ago and she of course got forward and rushed it a bit like she used to. So yesterday I tried it again and she didnt even THINK of rushing. She kept the same perfect pace to and away from the fence. Then we tried cantering, where she ALWAYS rushed, and she took it perfectly. I was even able to count my strides!! Woo hoo! So that was fun.

We were going to go trail riding today but decided to wait until a weekend when our friend Sandy can go with us. Sarah should be out soon and we're going to ride again today.

Layla lost a shoe yesterday.. Im guessing when she was running around being silly. Shes due anyways but now I gotta find a time when the farrier can come out and Im actually home.

Thats all for now. And welcome pinto! Nice to have a new dressage lover!

luv, actually I don't think my cocker sheds much at all. I keep him trimmed rather short because otherwise he is just a mud ball because, well it rains here, and he thinks he is a farm dog and helps me outside all the time.

shantel thanks for the welcome.

Hopefully I'll get some pictures today during a sun break in the rain.

luv- oooo puppy?! We have 2 Weinmeramers (sp?) aka the Silver Ghost breed. I looked in the sale magazine for the solo comb and couldn't find it? Or is it in the bigger one? I think I might get it as well....

Boocoo- Ugh. I just wished it was over with. Awh what a good hubby! Hope your riding went well!

Pinto- Welcome! We would love to see pictures of you and your horse!

Shantel- hehe Jumping!!! Fun isn't it?

Went and rode late last night. Bareback riding! LoL Scotch was very hyper! So it was a bit interesting in the trot! It was fun though even with the hair embedded into my breeches!

Went and saw Pan's Labyrinth and omg it was great! Sad, but very very well made.

Grammy's are on right now and i still have homework to do, ugh! Lesson tomorrow [smile]

-Lauren

Well Luv, because I have decided that I need to majorly loose weight before I attempt to put on white show breeches, [Eek!] I have been watching what I eat and trying to walk every day and we Mtn. bike ride when we can. I bought this nasty tasting chocolate carb shake stuff that you mix at home with water! Ugh, can you say nasty? So I mix it with no fat milk and put sugar free carmel syrup in it, like the kind you use in italian sodas and man was that good. So thick it wouldn't even come up the straw! Next time I am going to blend it with crushed ice and see if that doesn't make it any easier.

Krazy, I absolutely hate it when Beau looses a shoe, and it is usually always from being silly, especially now that he is turned out daily in his very own humongous pasture. But the shoer seems to be pretty good here and he only lost one shoe so far. That was when I was longing him and he got goofy. Hope you get the farrier out soon.

3day, school will go by so fast, you won't know where the time went??? So you rode Scotch bareback, eh? Anyword on if you will be able to purchase him?

I rode Beau today. It was plum cold but we had an very good ride. I am quite pleased with him. And....... when I halted at A for 5 seconds and then asked him to medium walk, he stayed forward and on the bit, no head tossing and we only had to do it once, since he got it right the first time. I worked with him at the medium walk to free walk for a while first, before I attempted it and that is the first time he got that right. We did some canter lengthenings that were quite nice too! So another good ride. Hauling over to trainers on Tuesday.

Shantel - sounds like you have been having some nice rides!! I really wish I could go trail riding...not really possible with the weather we've been having, and of course my lack of both truck and trailer [Razz] . I'd like to borrow Teddy's owners trailer, as she has a two horse slant that is aluminum and nice and light to tow. Sorry to hear about that thrown shoe, what a pain.

pintodressage - thanks for the info...I think we'd probably have the dogs coat trimmed to keep it on the shorter side.

3Day - bareback is so fun! Normally I lunge Ali before riding, but on Saturday I was in a time crunch and hadn't ridden since the Wednesday before, but I hopped on bareback in my hackamore and Ali was an ANGEL. I haven't heard of that dog breed before, hehe. I really love dogs and am so glad I can finally own one!

Boocoo - Speaking of white breeches, I sort of need a new pair [big Grin] . Any reccomendations?? Sounds like Beau is just doing awesome. I am excited to hear about your guys' show season!!

I rode Dreamer, the Appy mare, for my trainer today. I also ride her yesterday as someone is coming to look at her soon, and she was a good girl.

Teddy has been on the naughtier side lately and was bad for my trainer on Saturday. I need to get his teeth done and hopefully the chiro can come out this week.

Luv, last pair I bought are the On Course Sport Riders Full Seats. They are ribbed and come in white or black and or on sale in the Smart Pack Catalog!!! [big Grin] I like the ribbed for summer time and thought these would be really nice for showing!! Keep me a lot cooler!

Boocoo- I did. And he didn't think it was such a good idea. keep in mind it was FREEZING that night so he was like Weeeeeeee...all he wanted to do was canter. [Roll Eyes] So we did a lot of walking and lateral work bareback. It was quite fun and makes you really notice what your and his body is actually doing. lol it was fun

I'm still figuring out of my finances...we'll see

Glad to hear you are having some great rides on Beau!! And i have those breeches too, though not the ribbed ones.

luv- awh at least your pony was good! Scotch was semi good. I really like the Ariat Sporth Rythm breeches a lot! And On Course are great too. Yay for good rides!

We all have our bad days. Teddy will settle down again, i'm sure!

Lesson today went quite well. I was having one of my omg I'm so frusterated and I really suck at riding days. Audrey helped me through it though. Scotch has definately progressed a lot in 2 weeks already and Audrey has been very pleased with it. Trouble today occured more on the last loop of our serpentine going from left to right. We would have the great bend, and in my outside rein then we have the straightening on center line for a few strides and poof my pony is "gone" from the outside rein. It's the type of feel where you can't feel him at all in the rein. What I was doing in the beginning was just barreling straight into the right bend w/out much of any straightness. Scotch then would take advantage of it and be like nananan I now don't have to step into that new outside left rein. It was nice b/c Audrey really talked me through it as we were doing the movement. Have to do a bit of counterbend after straightening and really drive his right hind up into that outside rein...then once he's there he gives it up stretches over his back and into the bridle. Bit of a half halt for balancing purposes and just a tiny new right bend. He can be so sneaky with it though! So we'll play around w/ it tomorrow and see what happens...

Supposed to get some snow tonight...and ice? I'm praying that some of my professors will not have class... *crosses fingers*

Your lesson sounds good 3day. Glad you got that serpentine down. Your trainer sounds pretty awesome!!

I hauled over to my trainers today, good thing I did as it was very cold and windy. She has a nice indoor. Good lesson. We were getting started and one of her clients was there watching and kept saying about my horse, "I am so impressed with this horse" She has a lovely DWB there in training. So that was nice to hear. Then the horses started banging for their dinner and the stalls are metal, then the hay kart was coming and we momentraily lost Beau!! [big Grin] He is ADD, I swear! My trainer is so good at talking us through distractions. Since I have been riding with her, I have been able to keep Beau much calmer and focused when he does get distracted. So it was a good lesson, although sometimes I really get stuck on getting my sitting trot to canter transition on the left lead. Right side is good, but left I get stuck, not Beau. I think I tend to throw myself into barrel racer mode still cause I fall forward and tend to throw my reins away. Poor Beau.. i have gotten a lot better at it, but today I was struggling a bit, so trainer had me stop, walk it out for 5 min. while she talked to me and told me what I was doing and then she told me to try again, but work on picking up the canter in the corner where I could watch myself in the mirror. Wow, that fixed it, then I saw what I have been doing wrong and my next couple of transitions were pretty good! Always something to work on, eh?

Boocoo - Ohhh, ribbed is always nice for summer. I have two pairs, one pair is ribbed but is knee patch style and I am in love with full seats. The other is made by Riding Sport and has a full seat, so I like those. It seems like you and Beau have already progressed leaps and bounds since you have found your new trainer, which is awesome. I too think Teddy has ADD...one time were going across the diagnol in an awesome collected canter, and suddenly Teddy does this dusty halt and starts rubbing his lip on his chest and leg. I swear, he is so weird sometimes! When my trainer was riding him he turned his head sideways and started rubbing his lip on the rail, while still trotting [Roll Eyes]

3Day - I really like the looks of the Ariat breeches you mentioned, quite nice!! Bareback is really interesting, hehe, and Alibi is *usually* good about it. She is fairly comfy too, whereas my old horse was rather painful to ride bareback on. It sounds like you too have an awesome trainer and are making good progress with Scotch [smile]

I have a lesson tomorrow on Ted, hoping it will go well. I rode Ali today and popped over a tiny cross rail, and did some cantering to it today. I am planning on taking her to a schooling show in March and doing Training Level, probably Tests 2 and 4. She isn't in the best of shape right now, and I'd rather not push her and actually get some decent scores.

I found a super cute pony for sale. He is almost 15h, like 14.3 and one half, so I guess technically he's a horse. He is half Dutch Warmblood and half Welsh, hence the size. I am geting a DVD, so we will see. He is a bit on the pricey side for my, or really my parents budget...his price has been reduced from $20k to $15k, though "terms are negotiable to right home". He is 5 1/2 years old, and has been in pro dressage training w/ a reputable and successful trainer, and still is. They think he will go FEI, maybe GP. We will see how the video looks!

So far, everything on the vetting is going good, they got a little more than halfway through the x-rays, and found something iffy with the suspensory, called us, we consulted everyone important to us, and decided that he's 14, he's still worth it. They made him sore from flexing him so much though. They flexed him EIGHT times on one of his hind legs... WHO FLEXES A 14 YEAR OLD EIGHT TIMES?! Seriously! Of COURSE he's going to be sore! Gah, people are just... special. Anyways, we gave them the go ahead to continue the x-rays and send them out way, then we'll set up to ship him out here if he passes!

Boocoo: I know how you feel about the breeches thing! I was putting on my breeches at my first show of the season last year, and they almost didn't button! I felt so fat. [Frown] One thing I love about horse show season is all the walking that happens which means all the weight lost! [Razz]