Sign in to follow this  
SerahRose

what do you work on for training level?

So--I tell my boss that I've taken a few dressage clinics and shown dressage a few times, and suddenly she thinks I'm a trainer!? haha She will be at Scottsdale for the following month and has me riding/training the two dressage horses, and working all the saddleseat horses as well!

The one dressage horse I am super familiar with and have been training on quite a bit--working on rounding and using himself better and such--no problem with him

However, this new one she has me riding is a national champion arab sporthorse--and I told her I feel underqualified to be "training" him--but she's just like "do training level stuff with him"

To me, training level "stuff" would be stretchy trot, round circles, collection and smoothness in transitions, etc.

HER training level stuff is shoulders fore, haunches in, flying changes, leg yielding, etc.

I've trained those sorts of exercises before and am comfortable with it, but I want to know what you other training level (or people that have been there...lol) work on with your horses in daily exercises, and what you feel is especially important in a training level horse?

No collection at training level. Collection doesn't come till 2nd level.

Most people who are showing training level will be schooling 1st level at home. However, 1st does not include flying changes or haunches in. Those come later.

So I would say it depends on this horse's level of training as to what you do with him. Sounds like fun!

yea..he is a fun horse...he has no mouth though--I was told I could use whatever I wanted for a bit with him, so i reverted to one of my faves--a myler d-ring snaffle. So as I proceeded to ride in the snaffle, she then tells me I should be riding him in a loose ring twisted wire!? make up your mind people! [Razz]

I normally wouldn't work on collection too much, but he does get rather strung out and will run off if I don't keep up a certain degree of collection. I rode him for about 25 mins and about 5 mins into the ride my arms were JELLY from him pulling on me! horse needs some serious different type of work on him...his mouth is soooo hard!

As Boocoo said, most horses are showing training level and schooling first level. You're pretty much right about your training level "stuff". If I'm understanding properly, collection wise you're just working on it in transitions, yes? If so, then that's okay, just keep working on collection to that. I wouldn't try pushing the horse if you don't know his experience level, but if you know he can do some other things (mainly lateral movements) and you know how to ask for them, then throw in some of those every one in a while just to keep him from getting bored.

quote:

Originally posted by Serah Rose:

yea..he is a fun horse...he has no mouth though--I was told I could use whatever I wanted for a bit with him, so i reverted to one of my faves--a myler d-ring snaffle. So as I proceeded to ride in the snaffle, she then tells me I should be riding him in a loose ring twisted wire!? make up your mind people!
[Razz]

I normally wouldn't work on collection too much, but he does get rather strung out and will run off if I don't keep up a certain degree of collection. I rode him for about 25 mins and about 5 mins into the ride my arms were JELLY from him pulling on me! horse needs some serious different type of work on him...his mouth is soooo hard!

No no no no no. He doesn't have a hard mouth. He simply doesn't understand your signals! You have to train him the signals using pressure and release, no amount of bitting up is a substitute for correct training. And, you have to be able to ride him in a natural frame before asking for any form of collection.

The training steps...

Basic Attempt

Obedience

Rhythm

Straightness

Contact

Engagement

Proof

Enstead of me writing it all out, I'm going to have to again suggest that you buy either 'The Truth About Horses' or 'Horse Training the McLean Way' by Andrew McLean. I promise you either one will be no end of help and tell you everything you need to know. Good luck.

Contact

quote:

Originally posted by munching_hedgehog:

quote:

Originally posted by Serah Rose:

yea..he is a fun horse...he has no mouth though--I was told I could use whatever I wanted for a bit with him, so i reverted to one of my faves--a myler d-ring snaffle. So as I proceeded to ride in the snaffle, she then tells me I should be riding him in a loose ring twisted wire!? make up your mind people!
[Razz]

No no no no no. He doesn't have a hard mouth. He simply doesn't understand your signals! You have to train him the signals using pressure and release, no amount of bitting up is a substitute for correct training. And, you have to be able to ride him in a natural frame before asking for any form of collection.

The training steps...

Basic Attempt

Obedience

Rhythm

Straightness

Contact

Engagement

Proof

Enstead of me writing it all out, I'm going to have to again suggest that you buy either 'The Truth About Horses' or 'Horse Training the McLean Way' by Andrew McLean. I promise you either one will be no end of help and tell you everything you need to know. Good luck.

Contact

thus me saying that last bit... "horse needs some serious different type of work on him" I know that no amount of pulling is going to fix his "hard mouth" (I will argue and say it is hard--it's become immune to people pulling, and they've had to up his bit strength, which we all know is a vicious cycle if the horse isn't trained to give and rewarded for his efforts!)

Yup, I'm hoping boss lady comes home to a different, softer horse. She doesn't believe in my methods (why should she? she's the one with the training record...not me!) and keeps on saying how she's glad she gets to train me to her standards. Little does she know I come home and work on my horses they way I want them worked! [Razz]

Lightness--as for the twisted not allowed--i'm not showing the horse--just riding him. And i doubt I'll use a twisted on him...probably the eggbutt french link snaffle [smile]

I want to hear what types of exercises you gals do with your horses--gimme some ideas! I do lateral work quite often, and it gets old for both me and the horsies!

Oh, and yes, I work on collection thru the transitions, not particularly in the gaits

I like the book 101 Dressage Exersises for horse and rider. Great book.

I am schooling and showing first level right now. We will be working on schooling 2nd level later this summer. Some of the things I work on in my warm up after I have done rising trot, is sitting trot on a 20 m circle, then work on re-balancing, basically half halt. This gets my horse on my aids. Then I work on things I am trying to get him ready for in 1st level to show. I work on trotting tear drops, shoulder in, leg yielding, lengthening, cantering on 15m and 10 m circles, cantering across the diagnol and change of lead through trot. Lots of stretchy walk breaks in between. When the weather is good, we go school out in the hay field to keep us both fresh. When I work on my 20 m circles, I always make sure I am basically leg yielding him to the outside of my circle so he is pushing into my outside rein. Especially for transitions, up or down. I also work on stretchy trot, free walk, 3 loop serpentines, figure 8's, etc... Keep in mind, I don't do all of this every day. I work on a few things one day and a few others the next. Try to keep it fun and interesting for the horse and keep him guessing, so he does not start to anticipate.

[ 01-27-2007, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

One of my faves to a get a horse to use his hind end better (and subsequently stop leaning on the bit) is to:

-Get a nice trot going around the outside of the arena.

-(in a short arena) Start a 20m circle at either A or C so you're going to pass through X. If you're not in a short arena, do whatever so you're going to pass through X [smile]

-At X, do a 20m canter circle one direction

-When you come back to X, then do a 10m trot circle the OTHER direction

-Repeat the last two steps, and then go back and do it the other direction

(Did that make sense? I can post a diagram...think snowman shaped figure-eight [smile] )

It's good for horse and rider, and offers a lot to work on - transitions, change in bend, accuracy

I like using little exercises like this, and ditto whoever recommended 101 Dressage Exercises - great book!!

[ 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: ironbessflint ]