Sign in to follow this  
FleckenAwesome

Yay and Arghs..

This is just me venting [smile] and bragging [Wink]

there was supposed to be a schooling show this weekend. Just dressage and stadium jumping. So i entered, but then sort of panicked! i entered Novice CT and 1st level 1. But we've been having jumping issues so i've been focusing on that more than my dressage lately and suddenly realized i had signed up for 1st level one!! and... out of about 110 plus dressage rides, there were only 3 doing 1st level. luckily the other two were riding test 3 and 4, so i was the only one, but still... i was a little mortified! So even though it was cold and miserable all week, i rode to get ready. And worked on dressage. The show was on saturday, so friday morning i had a lesson. and WOW!!!!!!!!! i LOVE my horse! it was incredible. I totally realized how much he has taught me to become a better rider. And we have just clicked recently! it only took almost 3 years, but we're on FIRE now [smile] So we did our dressage and it was the best he's even been! atleast with me on him. It was incredible. He was just super! and bless his heart... he's easily distracted and when we got to my trainers, something spooked him, cause he spun around and then stared all giraffe like into the distance. i could feel his poor big ol' heart pounding away. Then my trainers horses started running and bucking when we were starting the lesson, and good boy that he was ...just settled in to work. which is a huge accomplishment for him. Every once in awhile he'd look, but then right back to work. We got him really working good. He felt like he was 17.2 instead of 16.2 and weighed 2200 lbs instead of 1600 lbs. Just felt Massive [smile] But so light on his feet. He really felt like he was floating only it was very powerful! then we did our lengthenings. and WOW! never had we had such a good lengthening. It was just such a neato feeling [smile] so then i decided that while i was at my trainers, i would take advantage of her jumps. And we really only worked on dressage for about 35 minutes. He was just that on that we were okay to quit. plus she had her ditches and we have ditch issues. So we jumped a few things which he showed clearly that he was bored. So then i took him to the ditch and was expecting him to hesitate. We've always had ditch issues and are slowly improving. The little bugger went right over it like it was nothing. and it even had horrible terrain and a big scary black tarp in it [smile] then we jumped her water puddle in the ditch and he started to veer right but i closed my leg and on he went! it was just great! my trainer was saying how incredible he looked and how she could totally see the bond we had. And how he could read me now and knew how to respond. it was just awesome!

so then i rushed home, did horse show laundry and cleaned tack. Checked the computer just before going to work (had to work that night til 2 am and then get up and show, but atleast my ride times were later). and THEY CANCELLED THE SHOW!!!!!!! i was sooooo upset. I was all psyched and ready to show off my spotted superstar! It wasn't even that cold and wasn't supposed to rain. But i guess since their arena's are relatively new and it had rained two days ago.... but man.. i was bummed! So then i had to work all weekend so i haven't gotten to ride since the awesome lesson. and it ended up being beautiful out on saturday. Bitter cold, but sunny and blue skies!

oh well.

But it was just the most incredible ride. and what's even cooler is that although it took me 2 plus years to figure out how to ride him (he's much different than my mare who's just grumpy and set in her ways)now that i've figured it out, we're making leaps and bounds. We could hardly get the right canter lead a year and a half ago and now we're getting beautiful lengthenings (on occasion) and working on first level stuff and some second level. and i don't have to have my trainer telling me how to ride him anymore. I'm able to get almost the same effect at home. it's just soooo much fun to be able to ride a horse that can do the things he can do. He's so goofy but when he's in his dressage mode, dang!!! watch out! he's all business.

so anyways, i'm sorry. thanks for reading all this if you did. I'm just so proud of him, and so proud of us. And so thankful that my trainer sold him to me. and hopefully in two weekends we'll still do well [smile] I'm hoping to get pics and videos so i can get some advice and help on things we need to work on.

but yeeah... i love fleckers (still love roany too but he's different!). He's done wonders for me and my riding ability and i just love him to pieces!

awww, you read all that [smile] or did it just burst out at you [smile]

hee hee. yeah...it's so corny, but i love him so much my hearts' burstin'! wow, i'm a dork [Wink]

anyways, thanks! i just had to let someone know as my husband said "yeah, that's cool!" and then went back to his computer game [Wink]

That is a great accomplishment and you should be very very proud of your horse and yourself!

WTG, girl!!

I'm sure there is much more success for you and Fleck in the future!

yay for fleckers. One day we will be at the barn on the same night! I haven't been out for like 3 weeks so thats mostly my fault! But yeah, I was at Ashland on Sunday and the rings were just fine! I went to join pony club and to my surprise Karens was teaching! I'm so sore from moving jumps today, the show jumps are really really heavy there!

thanks everyone. it's just amazing how once you really learn how to ride (hard to do on poor roany) how quickly things progress! i know it seems logical and obvious, but... it just didn't register with us til i got it mostly right. and then poor fleck was like "thank goodness she finally figured it out!" [Wink]

and yep chelsea...i knew karen was teaching it [smile] i am sooo bummed that they cancelled it. it was such a pretty day. aside from being cold, but that's what long underwear is for. I didn't ride today cause i knew it wouldn't be quite as good as friday so i wan to keep that feeling a bit longer! but tomorrow we're going to try to get it again [smile]

hopefully i'll see you soon. what about thursday? i will probably need to get some jumping in so we don't fry our brains focusing on the dressage :)think you'll be out then?

i love my hunky boy!

It's amazing how riding your horse's motor (rear end) can really improve your cross country fears. I'm not surprised your horse didnt baulk at the ditch. It's probably because he was so focused, and liked the way "being a good boy" felt, that you could have pointed him towards a 4 foot drop, and he would have said "ok ma!"

ooooohh, drops! eeek! but...i think you're right. He even steered straight to the big tall skinny [smile] Gotta love that four wheel drive feel [Wink]

i'm really hoping that now that i've figured things out a bit more and gotten to this point, that i'll figure out how to ride the drops too [smile] funny you should mention that! he tends to throw me out of the saddle and i just always lean too far forward or too far back. but i think i figured out how i'm supposed to do it at the ralph hill and vernon g.clinic so hopefully we can figure that out too! then we'll be unstoppable!!!

[smile]

Sounds like you had a fantastic lesson. So glad things are really starting to click for you and Fleck. Yes, when you hit this point, things do start to really roll. What a shame that they cancelled the show. You couldn't have had a better prep ride for a show. What a disappointment.

quote:

Originally posted by FleckenAwesome:

he tends to throw me out of the saddle and i just always lean too far forward or too far back.

Ahhhh, I feel your pain!!! This is STILL my biggest downfall. Trust me, you think you are oh so close to getting this sorted out, but then WHAM, right back to rolling those blasted shoulders forward. I am FINE, JUST FINE, when things are going good. But change one teensy, tiny thing, and what do I do - yup, roll the shoulders forward. At least, I'm not leaning forward so much anymore, but that is recent!!!! [Roll Eyes] I swear one day I will get this sorted out. It is my worst sin. And just when I think I have it nailed down, Julie will say, "Now you're leaning back." [bang Head] Though I only seem to want to do that in the medium trot/canter.

At any rate, I do have a point here, Julie gave me a great visual that has helped me to stop leaning forward so much. Raz tends to "get me" when things change, such as during transitions or if he spooks or pulls or leans, etc. So whenever something changes or happens, Julie tells me to "push my stomach out" rather than let my shoulders come forward. That is the part of me that needs to "go forward" in response to the horse, not my upper body. When I can manage to think about that, my shoulders actually come back and down and soften the way they are supposed to. Imagine that!!!! [Razz]

~Shelly~

oooh, i'll have to try that! although i did have a judge write "try not to bellydance" during my 10 m half circle [smile] i wonder if that's what i was doing. but i just did it in my chair and it totally works [smile] i'm definately gonna try that tomorrow.

The whole sticking out your chest works too, but i think the stomach might work better for me.

so... i rode today, first time since my lesson on friday since i worked all weekend and holy crud we were still great!!!! [Wink] he's such a studmuffin! We spent about 15 minutes just walking and getting rid of his resistance. he tends to get hollow and throw his shoulder out when things change and we found that if i work through that at the walk, then everything else is better. Also, we actually got a true REAL shoulder in! both directions!!!! i'm sooo excited. i always always ride him thinking shoulder-in as he tends to prop that outside shoulder, but this was a real honest to goodness true shoulder-in... which i've not gotten before without my trainer drilling me at it - yay! and we had a pretty decent lengthening, some beautiful transitions, some reallllly nice canters ahhhhh, it's just nice!

course my slutty mare had to try and ruin it [smile] she's in heat and was practically on top of us while i was tacking up...to the point where i had to whack her out of the way with my girth to put the saddle on. then she kept following us around during our walk work (i have to ride in my pasture with posts up to make my dressage letters so the ring is open and in the middle of the pasture) and then at the end when i'm almost done her and the other mare decide to run back to the barn. Well, poor fleck almost lost it. he'd been so good i hated to be mean and make him behave longer but... i did. so we had a bit of a fight, but then we sorted it out, got two pretty trots, two pretty canters, and nice down transitions (as opposed to the hideous ones during the fight!) and then we quit.

so yay!!!!!!! i can manage to get good work without my trainer [smile]

definately gonna try the stomach trick tomorrow [smile] thanks shelly!

oops, i had to delete many smilies since i went over the limit! can you tell it was a good ride!

You know, Holly, I had that happen to me last year, when still living in California. I was all set, had worked hard and was going to my first rated show doing Training level and wouldn't you know it got snowed, yes I said snowed out, in Palm Springs, California. I would have been traveling two hours to get there and the weather hit hard and furious all over So. Cal. So I can definitely relate to your disappointment. But........ on a positive note, you have been working hard and are well prepared and at your next show you will be kicking bootie and taking names!!! [Wink] So hang in there. Your day will come and you have well earned it!

wow! snow!!!! yeah, it was just frustrating cause the weather wasn't bad at all. It was sunny and calm. COLD but calm. oh well. turns out i can show the 17th when they rescheduled it for... so hang in for news. Watch.. now that i've had all these awesome rides, something stupid will happen.

But no [smile] we've worked hard and we'll do fine! i hope [smile]

and... i've got my video cable in the mail today so soon as i figure out how... i'll have video! hopefully i can get some from the show so i can get some critiques and help.

[smile]

quote:

although i did have a judge write "try not to bellydance" during my 10 m half circle

OH NO!!! [Duh] Julie got all over my case for being "too wiggly". I think it is a stage we all go through. First we try to grip to stay in the saddle. Then we figure out how to relax and sit on our seatbones without gripping. And then we go right off the deepend and let go of EVERYTHING!!! [Eek!] Julie didn't have to yell at me for long to "control my body". I got the point in a hurry. Now she has come back at me AGAIN more recently and said that, "Yes, I am quiet in the saddle, but she wants me EVEN MORE quiet in the saddle." [surrender]

Glad you were able to have another good ride without your trainer there to supervise. Shoulder-in is soooo important, and so hard to get just right, but when you finally figure it out, it is like magic. Well done. Good job getting around the mare in heat as well!!!

~Shelly~

hee hee. thanks!

yep, it's a fine battle. I find that if i get my seat great, then my toes are pointed or swinging, when i fix my legs... then my seat goes. arghhh. i'll eventually get it down pat. and it's getting better. But definately need to be quieter up there.

atleast i know what i'm aiming for [smile]

quote:

I find that if i get my seat great, then my toes are pointed or swinging, when i fix my legs... then my seat goes.

HA!! We really need to have a back to back lesson some time. We would drive Julie insane!!! She decided to harp on my toes one day telling me to really get my whole leg rotated more inward so that my toes pointed more forward, then really relax my leg and let it hang loosely in contact in that position. Okay. No problem. 30 seconds later she is yelling at me, "Why aren't you half halting???" "I'm concentrating on my legs!!!" "Well don't stop half halting!! You have to learn to multi-task!!" [Duh]

Wouldn't we make a GREAT pair??? [big Grin]

~Shelly~

hee hee. i can see it now [smile]

next she'd have us rubbing our heads and patting our stomachs to make sure we are capable of multi-tasking [Wink]

[ROTFL]

awww, man....that would be fun though! one of these days we'll figure it out and look all pretty and effective! but until then i'll probably keep getting belly dancing comments and such. i told my husband and he was shocked and asked "what were you doing!???" like i really was belly dancing or had pulled my shirt up or something [Wink] hee hee. what a goober!

oh well....

next time i have a lesson i'm totally going to be thinking of you [smile] and not riding cause i can't multi-task [big Grin]

You know Jack, my boyfriend, is Armenian, and his family is still in Syria. If you like, I can have his dad send an authentic belly dancer costume for your next show!!! HA!!!!! [ROTFL]

Do you think your husband would let you out of the house dressed like that???? [Eek!]

~Shelly~

quote:

next time i have a lesson i'm totally going to be thinking of you
[smile]
and not riding cause i can't multi-task
[big Grin]

Everytime Julie gives me more than one thing to think about in a lesson now, I ask her if she is sure she wants to do that because I'll probably end up falling off!!! [Crazy]

~Shelly~

You two are out of control!!! [big Grin][big Grin]

Hmm, at least your trainers don't tell you to put your arms out on a lunge lesson then wack the horse on the butt!!! Must have been working on balance that day!?

Don't get me started on my lack of multi-tasking...is he straight? No, I was trying to go forward...now half-pass. You said straight...good grief:-)

quote:

Originally posted by Beckham03:

Don't get me started on my lack of multi-tasking...is he straight? No, I was trying to go forward...now half-pass. You said straight...good grief:-)

HA!!! We were working on half pass one day, and mid-way through Julie says, "leg yield" ???? Okay, so I leg yield. Who am I to question an instruction, right?? Well I finish the leg yield, and she says, "Really bad half pass, but not bad if you had been going for a leg yield." GOOD GRIEF!!! Told her SHE instructed the leg yield so that was what I did. "OH, did I, sorry about that, half pass this time." Gheesh!!! Talk about multi-tasking issues!!!!!

Julie keeps threatening a lunge line lesson, but we haven't managed to get it together for that yet. I am dreading the day. Neither one of us seem to know our left from our right. Any lunge line lesson we do is BOUND to be a total and utter disaster! [Wink]

~Shelly~

how cool! a real bellydancer! hee hee. maybe i should do a freestyle to bellydancing music and dress like it [smile][ROTFL] yeah...that'll happen! i'd blind the judge with my pasty white belly and then she'd be blinded an unable to judge, but hey atleast she couldn't write "quit bellydancing"! [Wink]

heee hee. we are getting out of control...

awww, too bad you're so far away. it would be a sight to see. and if i could manage to get up to you and raz's level, we'd could do a sweet paux de dues...might be a bit dizzying for the judge though [Wink]