Sign in to follow this  
RickisSweetSmoke

What is acceptable..showing

In the show ring or schooling shows what is considered acceptable attire. i have heard in the lower levels, you can wear navy in liue of black, i have also heard you can get away with brown saddles, and not necissarily black dressage saddles. would you say this out fit is acceptable? the strip is drawn on the picture but it is dark navy, and then the coat would be navy with pin stripes more hunter style

-

-

According to the USEF rule book, a coat of conservative color is the rule--does not specify a specific color, and does not say anything about pin stripes so as long as it is conservative you are fine. There is a competitor in Region 3 who has a flashy paint who has a green coat and it looks nice on her. I have also seen a lovely grey coat being worn in one of the young horse classes. The key is conservative. At the upper levels, you can wear a navy tail coat as well as a black one as well.

No rule specifying black or brown tack.

I've seen the breeches with the black stripe at shows, and I personally don't care for them.

Go to www.usef.org and go to the rule book, look under dressage and look up the dress section--it's easy enough to check.

thank you for your help. when i went there and began reading i read something VERY intresting. It said members of police units or the armed services may ride in their military dress. has anyone ever seen this done? if you saw it what did you think? I am currently active duty military but i am not sure i would show in my uniform.

I have seen people show in their uniforms at International level competitions.

I have a chestnut brown saddle w/matching bridle. I have gotten quite a few compliments on it from judges! It looks neat on my chestnut mare.

As a teen, I showed in a very dark green jacket with subtle pinstripes, light gray breeches, and a white shirt. I never got marked down for it!

~Barbara

i show in all brown tack (yep, my dressage saddle is brown too and looks smashing on my dark bay appy) and i wear ...well, puky green supposedly [smile] although i thought they were more sandish colored breeches, a navy coat, and have done fine.

i'm thinking about wearing white breeches now and wondering if i shoudl wear white gloves too or go with the black ones. i have both... i don't think my hands are horrible, but i do wiggle some especially at the trot lengthenings ( i know i know...!).

i haven't seen anyone with a stripe on their breeches. i think it looks pretty atleast on the pic you drew [smile] i want a pair of chocolate brown breeches with a thick black stripe, but don't think i'd wear them for dressage.

i guess you could be a bit more sporty at a schooling show, but if it's recognized dressage might want to opt away from the stripe. If it's rec. eventing, you might could get away with it. ??? just my thoughts [smile]

I think the outfit you described is fine, though my personal preference is 100% white breeches, but JMO. And ditto to PMJ.

When I show at USDF/USEF recognized shows, I wore a black hunt coat (now getting a new one due to size), white show shirt, white stock tie with a pin, white breeches (I am a fan of full seats), white gloves, velvet helmet and tall boots.

I went to a very casual schooling show and wore beige full seat breeches, my tall boots, velvet helmet, conservative color polo shirt and black gloves. My mare wore a nice white pad with gold trim and usual, clean dressage tack, and I also had her in white polos (though as you may know, at rated/recognized shows, you are not allowed to have your horse wear any sort of bell boot, splint boot, polos, etc. or you will be eliminated).

Good luck and have fun! [smiley Wavey]

The breeches with the stripes tend to look better on riders with long legs to begin with, as well as large horses. It elongates the leg, so if you're too big for your horse, or even just the right side, you may want to pass on them. I haven't seen pinstripes on coats in the Dressage arena, but there's no rule against them, yet again though, only use them if you're the right size for your horse, or even a little small for him.

If you're going to go with with the stripes, I would pick an either/or. I wouldn't go both stripes on the coat AND on the breeches, seeing as then you'd look GINORMOUSLY long in the body AND leg. I'd pick either solid breeches with a striped coat, striped breeches with a solid coat, or solid and solid. Though all in all, it's up to you.

Lisa Wilcox comments constantly on the gloves when people send in their pictures to DT, and she always says to wear white because it is both correct and shows respect for the sport. Works for me.

At schooling shows and lower levels, your navy pinstripe hunt style coat is fine. A solid navy or solid black coat is considered absolutely correct. Your shirt should be white or cream with a matching stock tie. Gloves white. Breeches, white or cream (matching your shirt,) preferably without the pinstripe. Long black boots. Helmet or top hat.

Cream (not beige, but cream) looks lovely with navy, by the way.

By the way, the coat in the picture is not a hunt coat, it is a dressage coat.

RickiSweetSmoke I have indeed seen horses shown in uniforms, but only in Europe. (French military, German police are two I know for a fact I've seen.) Personally, I would NOT wear your uniform without getting permission to do so (from your commander, first sergeant, or whomever.) For one thing, you will need to wear breeches, and your military uniform does not come with that option. Remember, your military uniform is a uniform as a whole ... not just a jacket. If you wear it, you'd best make sure it is correct.

thanks for the help guys. and just to reassure you i WOULD NEVER venture out in my uniform unless i knew i was within regs, and that i looked sharp. i think i will be showing in my regular attire and not military, but i do appriciate the feed back

According to USDF rules, Armed services and Police Officers may wear their uniforms to show in. It is perfectly legal and yes I have seen it done in So. Cal. at rated shows all the time. Police officers and armed service members both. And you do not show in breeches. You wear the complete uniform. I think it looks very sharp!!!

DR120 Dress.

3. Members of the Armed Services and police units may ride in the uniform of their service at any level. Riders choosing to wear Armed Services or police uniform must wear the appropriate military/police cap or hat for their branch of service, or protective headgear.

[ 02-14-2007, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]