Sign in to follow this  
LoveVTEK33

-

well, I think really the best thing is just to CONSIOUSLY THINK about it when your riding and work on it. Perhaps spend an entire ride doing various movements that normally make you twist, but making sure you DON'T.

Really, despite whatever "tricks" anyone could give you, it comes down to that.

You might try seeing a (human) chiropractor. I know that I get out of alignment, and it makes riding straight VERY difficult. My pelvis tends to twist so that one hip is higher than the other. So if I am sitting so that I feel even pressure on my seat bones, I'm twisted and out of balance somewhere else.

No stirrups work generally helps me find my center and keep my body more balanced. Good luck!

Tracy

You can definitely fix this problem! A lot of it, as suggested by someone else, is about you making a conscious effort to always remember to keep your body balanced.

A couple of specifics: try to keep your shoulders reasonably square. Open your chest and shoulders when entering a corner. Learn to turn your horse with your outside rein and outside leg instead of pulling with the inside rein.

For the horse: you want to learn to create bend WHILE keeping the horse's inside shoulder up. This is something you can work on a lot in your flat work at walk, trot, and canter.

If your back is out, most likely it's effecting your horses back also. You should both get your backs adjusted/massaged at the same time before riding again. It will make a huge difference for the both of you.

An old trick to keep the shoulders square and the elbow at your sides is to put a FLEXIBLE whip through you elbows behing your back.

One thing that you may also be doing is

"over" looking around the corners. Using your eyes is very important, but your head plays a very important role as well. If you are "over" looking and using your head too much, it can really impact how you use your entire body and can actually torque your whole position.