Sign in to follow this  
smithereens_86

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 15!!

vegas: heehee, try an arabian/appaloosa mare!!! that's three four letter words! (spell is Appy!). cute pic of zeemee. she's pretty! ugh...stupid migraines.. i've had four this week, so YES! i will be making an appointment tomorrow. although i suspect that me being way overdue for the chiropracter has a part in it. apparently i'm twelve degrees off... but yeah... i've done tons of drug combo's before. even tried the new tramadol drug but it didn't do a darn thing. if i catch it early enough...but otherwise, i'm just doomed. but yeah...be careful with mixing drugs! aw, thanks! i do love my roany girl. and she was soooo well put together if she just liked dressage, she'd have kicked some butt, cause that horse can jump! but oh well. flecks fun and roany's retired now.. she is 24 after all. hmmm. i'll have to keep no stirrup month in mind. i actually wasn't sore today! so...either that means that i'm already in shape NOT! or i wasn't using my legs...hee hee. just my butt, which actually is a teeny bit sore. AWWWW he's cute! and that name is great! hee hee i like it! sounds like vegas was a good enough girl considering everything that was going on. and good for you for scratching. that's alot for just getting back! whoo hoo for three phases! wow! that's alot of shows. Just make sure you keep it fun and don't overdo it. fleck's lucky that i only get every 5th weekend off so that's about as often as we show. although every once in awhile i'll take time off and add in a show. OOOOH, you best be getting on that chem. i HATED that class is college. course in highschool it wasn't too bad. almost failed it in college though. good luck with it. congrats on this weekend and the babies!

dobby: oh no! hang in there. you're almost done. What is your concert? singing or....an instrument? awwww honey! what a mess??! i would just talk to your trainer. Tell her that you really would rather ride gayla more and want to buy her later and see if you could do that. And see what she says. I think as long as you don't get all emotional and go on and on and on...like i do... just say that you were upset about not riding spec as much, but realized that in the end...riding him once or twice a week is great and you'd prefer to ride gayla more. and see what she says. hopefully it'll work out. i'm sorry... that totally sucks! but i will say this... if gayla is really "your horse" as in "the one" it'll work itself out. I had tons and tons of horses that i LOVED and wanted to buy and eventually i got miss roany. who i actually said to myself "OMG that is the ugliest horse i've ever seen" the first time i saw her. and she has been nothing but awesome. Then i saw fleck and just Knew he was to be mine... it took like 3 or 4 years, but eventually he became mine. and in between there was george who i almost bought, but i'm so glad i didn't. So... maybe this is a way for you to come across another horse who is YOUR HORSE! but... maybe not. maybe gayla is yours! which means, it'll all work itself out in the end. Seriously, it took forever but it all came together in the end with fleck. i wasn't supposed to get him til i graduated but the timing was perfect 6 months earlier and i didn't even have to cry.. hubby just said yes [smile] so... it'll all work out. but i'll be crossing my fingers for you anyways!! hang in there.

anyways.... so.. fleck was great this am despite the heat and the hay tractor in the next field. he's such a good boy. got some nice cuonter canter work too! then i went and rode kota again. Appaloosa1224's appy. he's soooo much fun. But... i really think that i'm just not right. must be that 12 degrees off. Cause you know how fleck will trip and go down with me.... well, kota did too! it was crazyness. We warmed up and he was going so nice. and appy and i were talking about how she manages to hurt herself everytime she falls, whereas somehow i've been lucky and haven't hurt myself... well then kota and i canter.. and she says..wow, you sit his canter so well. and i says it's cause he's sooo nice. he's so much more balanced than when you first got him. and then next thing i know, me and kota are both on the ground. He just....fell. No tripping... just down on his side. unfortunately i was still on him and in the stirrups, so my leg was under him. But fortunately the ground is great! mucho sand and he's not quite as hefty as fleck, so it totally didn't hurt at all. he got right up, and was perfectly fine....aside from all the sand on his face and body. and her saddle... and in my boot. it was just wild! she was watching the whole thing... one minute cantering along, the next minute...on the ground! the only thing i can figure is that the sand hadn't been dragged in awhile and while it was light and fluffy! hooray for my leg, it was almost terraced in spots. So i think he just hit a deeper spot and the ground wasn't where he thought it was and down we went. we walked him and he was fine, so i got back on. Do you think there's a wierd clutzy appaloosa gene? or my 12 degrees of tilt is enough to throw them off??? me and appies just seem to have issues. course... roany was part app and she was super stable. interesting. it was wild though. But he was fine. we trotted and cantered and jumped and no more problems. he's sooooo much fun. he's such a cute little jumper. and i'm figuring him out so today was better! i might go ride him again on thursday. appy's injured... so.. fun for me [smile]

anyways, off to hang out with the hubby. have a great night!

holly

Thank you Vegas. Love your picture by the way. Oh and Beau is an Appx. QH, ran on the QH track and is sired by Tricky Fun x an own daughter of Easy Jet, x a Top Deck mare. So lots of Jet Deck on his bottom side. He is 11 and I bought him from his breeders/owners when he was 5 and they were retiring him from racing. Aweomse people. They were the No. 2 AQHA breeders for the year of 2001. That's the year I bought him.

Ok, not answering anyone much tonight, cause I am totally bummed. I am going to have to scratch this show this weekend. That makes the 4th one this year. Not to mention, they don't do refunds after closing, so I eat $300.00. I took Beau to my trainers today and he has been so resistant to the right lately that I knew something was wrong. She kept saying it was a training issue, but I know better. He is usually so willing. Finally when he did about the 10th crow hop and leap when asking him to go to the right, she got on him and could feel it for herself. She agreed with me then that something is physically wrong. I have the equine dentist coming tomorrow, although I do not think it is his teeth. It is his right side and that is the side he wiped out on a couple of weeks ago, when he crashed into the panel, that he bent the **** out of. So instead of trying to force him to work when he is sore, I will forfeit the show and get him down to my Vet./Chiro on Fri. I called my husband in tears when I left her place today and he is so awesome, he told me just get him to the Vet. and get him taken care of and don't worry about the money. Gosh I love that man. He has always been like that and been there for me. I have the best husband and my son was hugging me when I got home, saying, it's ok Mommy. He is the best son. Ok, done with my pity party. Beau will be fine and I will aim for the June 9th schooling show.

boocoo: awwww. i'm so sorry! but beau will feel better soon and then you guys can show! that is a bummer though. but.....you're doing what's best for him and being a good mommy. and you have a great family! that's awesome. hope beau feels better soon.

Holly: Yeah, I have always been careful about what drugs I mix becuase I am wierdly affected by some of them (caffiene, pseudophedrine, etc) but the advil/tylenol is a godsend for me. AAAAh arab/appy mare!! EEK! Haha but I bet she was great in her day. I just loved the Hey Ya freestyle with her shakin her little booty!! Pretzel is way cute and so is the other nameless baby! I could watch them all day! Ha I actually studied for the chem test I have in an hour and a half....yeah, we'll see how it goes. College is actually better than high school for me though. Don't know why,but it's easier to understand now, with math too. Yeah it's a lot of shows but I was careful how I planned it, with no shows on back to back weekends, and three weeks after Inavale, and they are all pretty close, no more than two hours away, so that is a benefit too. I gave her about two weeks off before she hops on the trailer for PA too, and we will definitely be taking it easy in those weeks and doing a lot of this [Me Cry] as we get ready to leave.

Boocoo: Wow cool, Vegas goes back to Easy Jet x Jet Deck x Top Deck x Red Deck on the top too. Her sire was a paint, but it was all TB after about five gen. back.

Off to school to play with the babies...and do that stupid chem test...

Boocoo:

vegas: good girl! i knew you were gonna be nice to miss vegas, it's just the worrier in me that has to mention it. but sounds like it's spread out enough. and it helps too without long trailer rides. poor fleck has a three hour plus ride may 19th for a three phase schooling one day, although we'll stay overnight. and then june 8-10th is championships about 2 hours away. so...that's alot for us, but then he'll get a bit of a break. i just hate that he's gonna be in a stall for three days with no turn-out, so i'll be doing TONS of hand grazing and hacking around bareback. That's allowed right? if i wear a helmet??? i'll have to doublecheck.

Boo---Oh noooooooooo.........Someone better inform that horse that he just can't be doing stuff to himself before a show, period. I remember when he tore up something when he was tied some time ago....I know, cr@p happens, but this is so sad. I just hope he comes out of it soon and y'all can get back into the groove again.

No time to read up on all the 4-1-1 on you guys, but as for me, life is very hectic at the moment.

Grad school's just perking along. Lots of work, but I'm really enjoying the whole online thing. I can go to class anytime I want--at 6 am on a Saturday, or 10 pm on a Tuesday, or whatever...it's great. [big Grin]

My boys are doing well. Pokey's his usual willing self, and Jag's still growing up, still acting like a teenager on steroids. He and I have had our diamond moments, which pleases me greatly. And he's got a ton of personality. Trainer took him into his first 1st level test a couple of weeks ago, he got a 69.5 in 1st-4. Not bad for a goofball. [Razz]

Work is, well, work. I had to fire my assistant last week, my little pregnant clerk is soldiering on (in spite of morning sickness) which I really appreciate, and now I'm trying to find a replacement. And, it's been SO enlightening to find out just how much that slug of a former employee of mine wasn't doing.... [Mad]

Anyways, that's the short scoop on my miserable life.

Hopefully I'll have some time later to get caught up on all of yours.

DQ

WOW I am rather behind, here goes....

dobby - Do you mean 1984 by George Orwell?? If so, I am reading that as well for English class. Speaking of complicated!! I'd tell your mom and trainer straight out what YOU want, and what YOU think would be best, so they both understand that.

Holly - No kidding! And we have MORE homework due tonight and another chapter tests. Icky! Lol, waterbuckets aren't too bad, unless the horses decide do dump 1/2 their hay and grain in the waterbuckets, haha. Sounds like an awesome ride!! Yay!

Lauren - Tell me about it!! Crazy Driver's Ed. I understandy why it's important, but honestly half of it is common sense. So when this week of classes is over, are you totally done?! If so, that's AWESOME!

Boocoo - I am SO sorry to hear about Beau and the show. That is a lot of scratching you've had to do...I can sympathize, I did it with Alibi and not only were there the show fees but the vet ones too. I am sure Beau will be fine. It is so great you have such a supportive family, both your son and hubby sound wonderful!

Lisa - Saw the clinic post, you guys look great!

Tag - Glad CK is sound, that is definitely good news. I need to get Teddy adjusted as well, as his back was sore/flinching when I was grooming him, obviously not a good sign.

Megan - Awww, what a cute baby! Zeemee is a cutie too. Arabians are really interesting breeds, my mare is really smart and tries her very hardest. And like you said, when you have a connect, they try 120%! Good luck with finding shows, too, I am sure you will really enjoy them.

DQ - Nice to hear from you! Wow, that is an awesome score!! I bet you were one proud mom.

So everything is worked out with Teddy, Alibi and riding Nugget. Alibi is moving to Nugget's owners house this Friday, where I will be able to ride her 1-2x per week (could do more if I want, but time doesn't allow that), and in exchange for free board, I will ride Nugget and/or one of her other horses or ponies about 3x per week.

Teddy has been settling in nicely at Miari, but was a NUT outside yesterday. I got to the barn at 5pm, in order to groom, tack up and lunge for my 6pm lesson. He was having his outside time (he gets 2-3 hrs. of turnout per day) and was running around like a maniac while screaming his little (well actually BIG, lol) head off. One of the staff members said Teddy would not let her catch him, but when I went to get him he stood like a doll. So I think he is just getting used to things and her as well. Silly pony. My first lesson went well. Kari, my new trainer w/ Teddy, went over my tack and just talked about what I've been working on and what my goals are, etc. She is very nice but also runs a great business. She said that my bridle was too tight behind Teddy's ears, so I am thinking of both trying my other bridle on him, that is larger, or buying a new one (or using my other and buying a new show bridle). We will see! I was pleased with the lesson and felt like we accomplished things.

Now Nugget's owner and I are trying to find a saddle that its us both. It needs to be a 16.5" seat with a MW or Wide tree. So the search is on!

Edited due to a grammar issue [Razz]

[smiley Wavey]

[ 05-02-2007, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Not much time to update, going to ride ponies in a few, so this is the only one I can remember:

Megan - Our fair isn't till the end of august/begining of september. we only have about a week and a half or so between Fair and State! Eep!

Nothing new. Scratching the Driving show for various reasons... ah, well, going to ride ponies, I'll truly update later.

Boocoo- Oh no jingles for Beau and yourself! That is a big bummer about the show!! [Frown] Yes school is almost done! One more day of classes and then next week I have to take finals. Tomorrow I take 2 finals. I'm very much looking forward for it to be done and over with!

Kyalii- The Islands were amazing! Great picture of your boy BTW. Sounds like the clinic was awesome!! [big Grin]

holly- Ooooo i loved the jump video of you and Fleck! hehehe he looked like he was having an absolute blast! You ride him so well, girl! Sounds like you had a blast on Kota! Falling ponies, oh no! I've had something similiar happen to me while I was riding one of the younger girl's ponies. But this horse is a complete klutz and just randomy trips and can't figure out where his legs go and just topples over! [Roll Eyes] Hope you enjoyed your time w/ the hubby!

Vegas Sky- hehe cute pic!! Ooo I see! That is great you are comfortable and happy with who YOU are! Not many people can say that!! props to you. hehe August 13! Are you excited??? Do you know who your roommate will be? And thanks, it was a great show. Very pleased with my pony boy. Awh baby!!!! love the pic! Great to hear Vegas is staying sound! OOOooo your first event! how exciting! It is a total blast! I'm thinking of taking Scotch to an unrec one here...pending on the soundness. You will be a busy bee all summer from the looks of it!

Dobby- Hang in there kid!!

DQ- Long time! Glad to hear things are going well over there! And that your ponies are happy and healthy! And wow nice score for 1-4!! Sweet!

McKenzie- Not totally done! OH MAN how i wish it was so! No normally I would be entering my senior year...but when I took a year for the WS and then a semester off b/t switching pre-vet to Business kind of kicked me in the pants. So I have like another 1 1/2. Oooo Naughty Teddy! lol I can just imagine him racing around screaming his head off! HAHAH! Glad to hear you enjoyed your first lesson! that's super that it went so smoothly! yay! I know how that whole bridle things go..Scotch needs a horse size browband and a cob size for everything else! Good luck on your saddle search!!

Not much to report here. Hacked Scotch last night...and everyone at the barn heard how my show went [Confused] News sure travels fast at that barn! LOL. I didn't tell anyone. And got lots of congrats and pony got lots of pats. haha! I overheard Audrey telling a few of the ladies how great Scotch and I looked together(more like they were sooo cute)....so she must of been spreading the news. She now calls Scotch the Mr. 70% Pony. [Razz] I'm like ooo no don't tell him that because our next show out we'll get like a 50! But our hack was fun! We schooled through the water and he went right through like a champ. then we "tried" to round up the flock of wild geese in the pasture. Oh man where they mad!! I forgot how aggressive they can get! We got chased back into the creek. Then Scotch was like "Bring it, man. I'll knock your feathers off with my studlyness!" Silly pony. Then we went back into the arena to do some trotwork for 10minutes. He was like whaaaa lets just pretend the arena is XC and gallop around mom! But I had to cut down that idea. soooo silly pony!

So I typed up a huge paper tonight and still have one more to go! of coures both are due tomorrow. Hope everyone else is everything a great night!

DQ, so good to see you on the board. Congrats to Jag and his great scores.

Thanks everyone for all your support. It really does help, cause I know all of you understand.

So the equine dentist came out today and he did say that the right front molar was slanted and he put a bit seat on him. He also told me to ride him and if that didn't fix him right away, get him to the Vet. I already made an appt. with her for Fri. a.m. So I got on and rode him and he was worse than yesterday. Did not even want to walk to the right and I had him on the buckle. Tried it with loose and medium contact also. My hubby and trainer think it might be his ribs, since he landed hard on that side and slammed into the panel. I also think he has a sore spot on his neck.

So I will catch up and report back on Friday.

Yes, I LIVE!!! HA!!! Just been VERY busy at work, and at the barn trying to prep for the show this weekend. The work that I did with Barend in the clinic really was the missing piece to solving the difficulties we have been having with 2nd Level. Raz has figured out VERY QUICKLY that if he carries his head and neck just a couple inches lower, he is able to work over his back much better, and the work is sooo much easier for him. We are working much better now. No more pulling and fighting. Just nice and easy. Really clicking. I FINALLY feel really, really ready for 2nd Level. Really, really ready for the show this weekend. AND . . . the show has been cancelled due to low entries. [bang Head] Doesn't that just figure!!!! Always something. I'm trying to find something else for us to go to in the meantime, but not sure what yet. Barend is coming back on the 19th, and as far as I know, I still have the Ann Guptill clinic on the 27th, though haven't heard much from the clinic organizers on that either, so wondering of that has been cancelled yet again as well. *sigh*

Hope everyone is well. I'll try to catch up with everyone tomorrow.

~Shelly~

Well, I unofficially failed my first chem test...in college at least...I didn't even finish it!! It was about moles and amu's and molar mass formulas and crap like that...now I have to go back and study it again to make sure I know it all before we move on or I will surely die in the next unit... [surrender]

On the other hand, I had a pretty good day in my other classes. Breeding class was fun, I got to play with Pretzel a little more and watch two collections (I did actually did a collection Monday, it was the third or fourth I have done) - call me wierd, but I like watching/doing collections and all the other breeding stuff, I think it is very interesting, practically and physiologically. We all have been thinking of names for the other baby, some think he is kind of ugly (not me, he is super cute too!) so they want a homely name, like Homer or Clarence, but me and two other girls were looking at his coloring (tobiano) and one said it looked like someone scribbled on him, so we like the name Scribbles.

Then in training class it was horse swap day, and I did not have a very good ride. It has been a long time since I have had a downright bad ride, but today was one of those. I got an appy that is very much a WP type horse, so we had a lot of arguments about going forward and what gait to be at, and HUGE arguments about the left lead. I could not get him on that lead for the life of me, and I was losing my patience, so I commited the cardinal sin of quitting and getting off, because I knew that even if I got him on the left lead it would not really do anything for his training and he was so hot and sweaty already that I just got off before I killed him.

Then I went home and rode the Vegas. We had a forty minute ride (I lost track of time [Roll Eyes] ) and she was still breathing and sound afterward. We did flatwork and it was pretty much fantastic, all things considered. When I rode on the flat yesterday with all the jumps she was good at all gaits, but was still a little strong at the canter (that's the gait for JUMPING!!! right mom???) Today we had a GREAT trot, really moving forward with good rhythm with a nice low and through carriage, both posting and sitting. She held that frame through all the down transitions, which are usually our bad ones (partly because I hang on the bit a smidge out of bad habit), but our upward transitions were a little messy. The halt-walk-trot was not bad, but trot to canter was a little rough, so we will work on making those a little more snappy. She was also very good in all her bends to the left, but more stiff and kinky in the neck to the right. Our circles were not very circley, and she would lean and collapse in the corners like a motorcycle. Any suggestions for this problem or the transitions would be greatly apprecitated.

That's pretty much all that's going on here, the parentals are going out of town tomorrow until Monday PM, so I think I am going to schedule some lessons for this weekend, otherwise I will have nothing to do, unless all of you want to come party at my house!

Holly: Yep I try to be nice to my girl. She likes to show, as long as she doesn't have to be in the stall all day, so I usually do a lot of handwalking/grazing too. I dunno about the bareback thing, I think it is probably decided by show. We were never allowed to do it in High School Eq or 4-H though...I think the show-length/trailer-length has a lot to do with the breaks between. The longer you haul the longer the break should be. I also don't think you should haul five hours for a week-long show, too much stress. But that's my opinion.

DQ: Well hello there, I don't believe we've met. I joined somewhere in Volume 14. I own my mare Vegas who is just back to work the past couple weeks after being hit by a car March 13. I also take care of my friend's two year old appendix gelding who is at my house with the Vegas. I ride eventing and a lot of dressage. Icky to grad school, I am in my first year of undergrad here in Oregon at a comm coll, but this summer I will be moving to PA with Vegas to go to Wilson College to finish undergrad, though I may not do grad or proffesional anyway. Good job at the show, I bet you are a proud mommy. Good luck with work...I still need a job...yeah...gotta get looking...

McKenzie: I just finished planning my summer, and so far so good. Lots of good shows with much fun, so it will be good. Hopefully I will be able to take Zeemee along with Vegas to some of the schooling shows...heehee I bet Teddy was happy to see his mommy after the move, awesome about the good lessons.

Emily: EEK!!! One week??!! Or fair is in early July, and state is in late August, so we had like six weeks between the two, though I know some counties are like yours. Good luck way ahead of time though!

Lauren: It took a while to figure out who I was, because I was not diagnosed until a few years ago, just as I was getting things in order. Then I had to go back and look at everthing again after the diagnosis; though it did not really change anything so much as just give a name to everything I had felt all my life. But I think that I and other people like me, are forced to figure out who we are quicker and more thoroughly than others, because we don't fit into society. In a way I think that is somewhat fortunate, because we have to KNOW who we are to function at all, whereas 'normal' people can go all their lives just conforming with society and doing the day-to-day without ever knowing who THEY are as a PERSON! To me that is a great tragedy. Not Everyone like me is comfortable with themselves (heck I'm not all the time) but at least we know who and what we are...I am way excited for August 13, but a little nervous too the closer it gets. Like I told Holly, there will be a lot of this [Me Cry] before I go. I do know my roommate. She is another transfer student from NH who will be going into the same year as me, so I won't have to do the roommate pool - phew! She is a really nice girl and an equestrian major too! I will have a busy summer yes, but I am looking forward to it. The highlight will of course be our first event! Hee hee I can totally see Scotch on the geese like "you want a piece of me? well then say 'ello to my li'ttle friend!" When we ride on the beach I make Vegas go seagull bowling, and she is sometimes a little scared of them if they get too close [big Grin]

Boocoo: Ammendment to Vegas's pedigree: Grandsire on top is Red Deck, by Mr Jet Bar, by Jetaway Deck, By Jet Deck, by Moon Deck, by Top Deck. Her Sire's Dam's grandsire is Bally Beers, who was by Moon Deck too...Isn't it sad that I don't even know my own horse's pedigree without allbreedpedigree.com? Oh well.

Shelly: Yay 2nd level. We are still trying to make it up to first, hopefully we will be solid 1-1 and 1-2 by the end of the summer, but yay for you and Razz! Pooey about the show, I hat ot when that happens, but hopefully the clinic is still on for the 27 (a very good day, my bday!)!!

Okay off to bed, this took me like two hours to do, but oh well, tomorrow is my day off.

-

Meet the newest member of the family.

YES. I brought home a kitten. I couldnt help it! Randy and I went out to his dads to see his cousin who is a farmer about the different types of discs for the tractor, and this little one was under the porch. He said someone had dropped 3 of them off and he didnt know and his dog got out and killed 2 of them. I just couldnt leave it there. When I held her/him, it just laid there and if I put it down, it cried. So its now the offical Barn Cat.

Not sure if its a boy or girl. Id guess its not a day near 6 weeks old.. probably closer to 4 weeks. Luckily its eating the dry Kitten Chow and drinking water and using the litter box like a champ.

It loves the hay stall, its new home. Runs and jumps and attacks all the hay and the mouse toys I put in there. Just a very cool kitty. Still scared of the horses if you let them sniff her, but she watches Layla through the slots of the wall and tries to attack Laylas hay. Very cute.

This is her? him? on the way to its new home. Chilling on my lap on the car ride.

-

Playing in the hay.. fell into a hole between bales and was just hanging out

-

OH. Got shot to bring Layla into heat. Giving it to her Friday. Then Tues-Thurs we wil admin the antibiotics for the infection and then wait 2 wks and reculture and HOPEFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY shes clean and we can breed. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!

Ill catch up tonight but I did see Beau is acting NQR so I hope hes ok! And I remember CK had an ouchy tendon so I hope hes doing well too. And anyone else or ponys or pets that arent well - JINGLES!

Deequeue: oooh, online grad school! awesome! what degree? hee hee. your goofball in dressage comment made me laugh. i have a goofball that does dressage too! but we're still working up to 1st 2. ewww, work drama sucks! hope it works out soon for yah! and... i'm not sure if we've officially met. i'm holly.. i'm sorta a goofball too. like my horse. we're just two big clutzy goofballs. i have a big spotted app that i event with and we've been doing some first level stuff and are starting to step it up!

luvs: ha! i wish it was just hay... fleck has a nasty habit of pooping in his occasionally! now that is NASTY! and... i've found a dead mouse or two in mine before too. gross. okay...that makes me sound like a horrible mom... i swear it's not quite like it sounds! it was the summer and they have water in the stalls but big water buckets outside too that they drink from more. so i wouldn't fill water buckets every day, and i guess little mousie got stuck trying to get a drink. hmmm. still doesn't make me sound any better does it? i'll just shut up now. whoo hoo. sounds like a great deal with alibi and nugget. hee hee that's great that you GET to ride nugget and they think it's worth paying for your board! heck yah! fun ride and money! sweet deal. hee hee. teddy's just using his turn out time wisely! your new trainer sounds good. always nice to have them check your tack and adjust things that need it. oooh, more bridle shopping fun fun! they have some nice bobby's bridles on tack of the day today.

lauren: thanks! i had a spell of forgetting how to jump him, so it's nice to know i refigured it out and am back in the groove. it's just hard to get carried away and forget that if i rock kim back on his haunches he won't be as ugly with his shoulders hanging. but hey, pretty is as pretty does! although i sorta wonder how high i'm gonna have to jump him to get him to pick up his knees. yeah.. not sure why kota fell. i think it was just a random thing. although he has done it before while she was free jumping him. hmmmm?? maybe it's just a clutzy app thing??? and yep, hubby and i had a good time. hee hee. atleast you only have another 1.5 years instead of another 4 for vet school!! that's awesome! hee hee. i'm totally imagining the fancy schmancy dressage pony in his fancy double bridle, and you in tails and tophat..doing canter pirouettes and then suddenly you guys go charging after the geese! then come charging back as they are chasing you! hee hee. you should know that by now.. haven't you ever seen america's funniest videos'!? there's only like 5 video's each time of geese getting nasty. he ehee. sorry... i'm still giggling at the geese rodeo.

boocoo: poor beau... i bet you're right. i bet it's his ribs. maybe the chiro would help too? thinking happy thoughts that beau gets better soon and it's nothing major. let us know asap!

shelly: YAY! you're back! and man... what a bummer about the show...atleast you didn't have to scratch this time due to something silly raz did. [Wink] but that is a bummer. Oh well, that just gives you more time to get bored with it.

vegas: awwww honey.. .EVERYONE fails their first chem test in college. my friend got a 7! yes, a 7, not a 70... hee hee. it'll be okay. just keep up with it. it's way too hard to learn it all the night before. but...that's coming from someone who got a d the first time (and yep, d = doctor!) and then retook it in summer session and still only managed a c. me adn chemistry are not good friends. cool about your class. collecting is scary! but it's usually better than it looks. how neat! awww, homer....mmmm donuts... i'm gonna have two donkeys some day named cleatus and clementine... how bout cleatus?! hee hee. naw, that's mean to name a foal cleatus! awww, it's just the appy! he ehee. atleast you got off instead of getting mad and taking it out on the spots. that's what i tend to do, even though i know it's my fault. it's just so hard to not lose your patience.. and it's easy to beat on them when they're that much bigger than you. so good job on getting off instead. whoo hoo. sounds like vegas is back! hmmm. not sure how to help keep her from collapsing. fleck is the opposite, he throws that shoulder out so i have to ride shoulder in all the time. which.. might help, but focus on keeping that inside leg on and letting her bend around it??? yep, good girl! see... you're a great mommy. i should have kept my mouth shut..sorry! but yeah.. i agree. 5 hours and then a long big show is alot! three hours in pushing it, but.. fleck travels pretty well. lucky for me he's a pretty chill guy. sounds like vegas is too.

phew!

so..... today was a great day! and it looks like it might just rain!!! doing my naked rain dance...okay, still clothed.

anyways, i had a dressage lesson today and it was great! we started with shoulder in and haunches in at the walk and i joked that we should do the whole lesson at the walk cause it was HOT! well... we spent alot of time at the walk, but then we moved on. it was good for us. so then we talked about lateral work...leg yeilds, half-pass, etc. so then we picked up the trot and did alot of straigth, haunches in, shoulder in, straight stuff. it's almost harder to get him to straighten up after doing that! so we had some issues, but we resolved them. we also figured out that fleck likes' haunches in much better than shoulder in. he was toooooo haunches in-y. so we tried to fix that. but i was really pleased how, once we worked out some of the kinks and he was really on, his shoulder ins at the trot were beautimous! it was great! then we did some side-pass...no, half-pass..whichever one is the beginner one. and it was...better than last time. we still tend to go more sideways than straight but... we're getting better. and... i applied shelly's weight aids and seat aids and the release part and it worked much better! so.. still getting the hang of it. i probably won't fool with it too much without my trainer, so i don't do it wrong. then we took a break... then started up again... and fleck was being great and i was saying how great he was and then he totally inverted, head up... but... a big ol' deer was just running across her pasture.. jumped the fence twice like it was nothing and bounced off. it was like....almost noon??/ wierd. but yeah, so then he kept looking for another one, but we got some more nice work. and then we did some counter canters too. in a small area cause my trainer says he gets too big. so it was good that i had to collect him. they felt much better! so whoohooo.

then i shaved her dog and was too hairy and hot to go ride kota again. but i'll probably go ride him this weekend cause i have the weekend off! whoo hoo. my friend graduates from vet school so she's having a party, then my friend is having her "cinco de mayo, vickie is 5-0" party at the barn, so it'll be a fun day. then sunday is house chores with the hubby. so... yeah..

anyways.... doing the rain dance again....

Lauren - Hey, you're getting there!! Hahaha someday I need to get a video of his lil butt screaming and running, it really is quite funny!! Teddy's got an odd head. His last bridle was made up of 3 different bridles... Sounds like a fun ride [big Grin] I am sure Scotch told those birds whose boss [Wink]

Boocoo - I would not be at all surprised if it's ribs, poor guy (and you! [Huggy] ). Keep us updated!

Shelly - That's wonderful everything fell into place and clicked. You guys will do great at Second Level, I'm sure.

Megan - I'm sure you'll do fine the next time, just try not to stress over it. Whenever I get all worked up, I just do worse. It doesn't sound like you are getting stressed, just try not to be [Razz] I'd really like to become more knowledgeable about breeding, I imagine your Equine related classes are really neat [smile] . Sorry to hear about the bad ride, sounds like the horse needs some more work, and also isn't used to the term FORWARD.

Shantel - OMG what a cute kitten!! He/she is adorable...I wouldn't have been able to resist taking it home either.

Holly - Teddy has done the poop thing too...ewwww!!! Its so gross. Ha - a MOUSE?! Never heard that one before, lol. And yes, I am really glad things worked out with Alibi and stuff, its really generous of them to give me free board at their place. I saw the Bobby's bridles at Tack of the Day, too, I get their reminders because otherwise I totally forget to check it, and they have some awesome, cool deals and items. Our weather has been crappy. Its been raining and hailing yesterday and today, with random sunshine spells that then disappear within 30 minutes...its May, can't we have nice weather already Sounds like a fun lesson w/ a bit of excitement [smile]

We've already found a few saddles for Nugget...two County Competitors and a Niederuss, all reasonably priced. We will see what happens!

I am riding Nugget in a lesson w/ my "old" (still consider her one of my trainers, since I will be riding Nugget w/ her) trainer, and I am hopefully going to read for her and help her groom/tack up at a schooling show this Saturday. It will be nice to see her again, it hasn't even been a week but feels much longer!!

No riding for me today, but tomorrow I am. Then there is a potluck/show planning party at Miari that my mom and I are going to. That should be fun.

Off to start math homework.....

[ 05-03-2007, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Vegas, those are nice blood lines. My equine dentist said he has met Beau's sire the other day. Tricky Fun is the sire. He was/is a syndicated stallion that lives in OK. I thought that was cool that he knew him, but he breeds and races running bred QH's, so not suprising. Did I tell you Beau's Mother was an own daughter of Easy Jet x a Top Deck mare. so both our horses have a lot of that good ol' Jet Deck. What a stunning horse he was.

Krazy, that kitten is precious. That's how we found our cat. She was 3 weeks old and somebody dumped her. We took her home and raised her and she is now close to 3 years old. The best cat.

Taking Beau to my Vet./chiro tomorrow a.m. I called the show secretary today and she said go ahead and send her my Vet. release and they may just apply my entries to the June show. So keep your fingers crossed. That would give me 5 weeks, and I bet Beau would be healed up enough to start him back in about 10 days.

Going to bed now. I am wiped out.

shantel: OMG! i missed the kitty. cute!!!! kittens are the best. i wouldn't have been able to resist either. poor little thing. best be taking it to the vet for sexing/shots/deworming/testing, etc [smile] sorry.. i can't help it [smile]

also..NQR! that's awesome. we always say ADR - ain't doing right! hee hee

luvs: oooh, that sounds like fun! i love barn parties! we're having a 50th bday party for a friend at the barn...but there will be a band and a keg! whoo hoo. just gotta find a way home...

boocoo: oooh, hope that beau is fit and happy for their next show and they let you roll over! that would be great! good luck tomorrow.

[ 05-03-2007, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: FleckenAwesome ]

Arg, not going to spend the time fully catching up, seeing as I'm recovering from a migraine and need to watch some DWTS/GA/Lost, so I'll just update.

Lipton was really good yesterday, we did w/t/c both directions and practiced some lengenthings and some sitting trot, seeing as we have a SHOW next weekend!! EEP! Susan rode Inky and he was really good, except for he's still out in whatever hip or shoulder it is, and Joanne said today that he was a bit all over the place and he didn't know what to do with this head. I noticed all this durring and after our show, and it was way amplified when I got on him today. He tried, and he was obedient, but he just didn't want to go to the right.

Judging went okay today... kinda... I switched one pair in every class, and pretty much compleatly funked up the last class. I got the 4th place horse right! ...I...think... I don't even remember how I placed it now. OH well. It was over fences, so it was easy yet hard to judge... Most of what I switched was personal preference. The judge prefered the clean changes with a crooked fence or two over the horse who landed on the correct lead but was a tiny bit speedy every now and then. Oh well, whatever. It was like... a cut of 2. The flat class I mixed up the pair with a cut of 4... Oops. I still might make it to Finals though, but no gaurentees. I got my shirt for Hippology, it looks really nice... Navy Blue polo with my name embroidered in a scripty font in metallic silver on the... left? chest... I think it's left... Ah, well, it'll look nice this weekend.

I don't think there's really anything else to update... I got a migraine today (I know... I know...) Mom fed me ice cream with cut up imitrex in it, and it helped, so we might wind up doing that at shows from now on when I get one. It was nasty though... never ever ever chew imitrex. It sucks. Just a heads up for everyone.

I think that's it... I'll catch up on everyone tomorow... or... sunday... If it's not tomorow it'll be sunday because of State. Have good weekends everyone. [smile]

Shantel: OMG!!! That is the cutest little kitty ever!!! except for when my kitties were babies [big Grin] I love how it is just chillin on your lap like 'ya this is my new mom - whatcha gonna do about it?!' It makes me think it was handled some before you got it. Sad that its brothers/sisters were killed, that happened to a little kitty I had too. Good news that it's settled right in and is happy in it's new home!!

Holly: Here's the sad part: this wasn't my first chem test, just the first one I have failed (I think, still waiting on the grade). The last test I took in that class I got an A, so yeah, I just didn't study. Actually I spent more time studying than I normally do, it was just all right before I took it. Normally that is fine for me, but I guess not with chemistry...Haha D = Doctor!! My dad is a dentist and he always says this: what are you called when you graduate at the top of your dental school class? Valedictorian. What are you called when you graduate at the bottom? Doctor. That's just kind of a wierd thought, but it fits. Yeah collecting is scarier than it looks. If you hold the stallion's head, he doesn't move a lot anyway, and it you hold the AV, then you just kinda gotta go with the motion (sorry, that was a disturbing thought, but it's true...) Either way, a good stallion knows what he's doing and does all the real work anyway. OMG!!! We had talked about naming him Cleatus, but we just couldn't do it. I still like Scribbles, but the Powers That Be have different ideas. Yeah that was a bad ride, and for the life of me I could not get that dang horse on the left lead, I tried everything. I was glad I go off when I did, because I was starting to get really mad at him, and I still do blame the spots, lol. Yeah I have my Vegas back! We had another good ride today, even though it was only 25-30 min, but it was still good and we got some things accomplished. Tomorrow is her day off and she will get to go out to the big pasture if it ever stops raining (I'll trade you some good ol' Oregon rain for some of that nice sunshine), then we have a dressage lesson Saturday, and Thursday she goes back to my H/J trainer. Hee Hee I try to be a good mom, but every once in a while I still have to take her to a week long camp that is six hours away just because of the clinicians there, but that is very rare...hee hee Vegas is pretty easy going yeah, but she is actually a really nervous hauler because she has had a couple trailer accidents before, and because she has major separation anxiety...shipping her this summer is going to be fun...sounds like you had a great lesson, I love it when the deer come through and the horses are like OMG!! Little misshapen pony!!! Don't let me catch the ugly!!! Have fun at the parties!

McKenzie: Actually, I didn't stress over the test, and I'm pretty sure that was my problem. I'm just too lax about that kind a stuff. I pretty much never study. Breeding is really interesting, and I feel much more competent about it, like I can actually have an intelligent conversation about it with someone. I think it is an area that all horsepeople should learn more about...we'd have a lot fewer problems that way. OMG!!! FORWARD was a completey foreign concept to this horse!!! I used to ride western pleasure and reining a lot, but now I don't even know how to NOT ride a horse forward and through, or at least try to!

Boocoo: Yeah, my mare has really good bloodlines along the top, up to about her granddam and grandsire, then they are just QH's, or just paints. I have some pictures of her sire, and he is supposed to be the western halter type body, but she is actually just really awkward looking, with a roly poly body, long stick legs, a long saddlebred neck, and a small head. He had an ugly butt too. Her dam must have been nice, because she sure turned out nice, or maybe it's the ugly+ugly=pretty concept. Anyway, yeahshe has some good TB blood in her, she goes back to Man O' War twice, talk about a stunning horse! But Jet Deck was something else himself too.

Emily: Eeeew, migraine! Feel better soon! The crushed up imitrex brings back memories of my pseudophedrine adventures...

Not much new here, the parentals are out of town till Moday evening (think I may have already said that, but just in case) so anyone who wants to come over and party can - dad left me a blank check.

Well, I rode four horses in 36 hours! Training class and Vegas yesterday, then a lesson with Tracy and Vegas again today. I am kinda sore...I just have to ride in training class tomorrow because it is Vegas's day off, then a dressage lesson Saturday with Vegas, then I think we will just longe Sunday.

Anyway, off to bed, I have to go see how much damage was done in chemistry tomorrow...

[ 05-04-2007, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Vegas Sky ]

Poppin in before I go to work..

My aunts mare foaled some time this morning and she went down to find a bundle of fur! A FILLY! We are so excited. Shes so cute. Chestnut with a big white star in the middle of her forehead. Ill put pics on later. We are so happy b/c her first mare, Friskie, is the mom of the mare who just foaled. My aunt had Friskie since she was two, and she had to be put down 2 years ago at age 26. So she still has Patty, Friskies baby, so she bred her to keep the line going, and was hoping for a filly. YAY.

And I looked out my window this morning.. and 1/2 my field is all tilled up. ARGH. I know its for the better.. I know its for the better. We are throwing lime and seed and it should rain this weekend.. AHHHHH. Its just scary seeing my field all turned up.

Off to work. Catching up tonight, I promise!

My BO told me last night that when Beau first came running up there, he wiped out and landed on his chest, that explains the scrape between his front legs on his chest and the bit if swelling there, then he slid onto his right side, hence the wounds on his right legs. Took Beau to the Vet. this a.m. and explained this to her. She immediately went to work on him and determined that he was very sore in rear lower hips, left shoulder was jammed up, right shoulder was jammed down and his diaphram was in a knot. They worked on him for a while and then when he began to loosen up, she put him in the stocks and did acupuncture on him. She said I probably won't even have to bring him back unless I want to. So I will see how he goes. She said give him a week off, wrote me a Vet. release for the show and I mailed it off when I got home. Hopefully they will let me use my entry for the June show. My trainer told me a couple other girls want to go to that one, so I wouldn't have to go alone. So keeping fingers crossed. Beau has to do a lot of stretching over the next week or so, till I can ride him again. You could sure tell he felt better when we left the Vet. clinic. So since I did not go to the show, I am feeding and cleaning the barn all weekend. Fine with me, my BO pays me nicely to do that. [big Grin] That will sure help with the Vet. bill!!

To The Princesses of the Board – You know who you are . . . here is what you need for your next XC eventing round:

http://www.thegiftedhorse.com/snowbee-magi...4bce6c042e72368

Talk about a sparkly scepter. All that is missing is the tiara. I suppose that we then add this to complete the picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BROW-BAND-BROWBANDS-BR...VQQcmdZViewItem

Oh wait, the tiara is supposed to go on your helmet not on Fleck/Scotch. Sorry about that!! HA!!! [ROTFL]

Okay, on to a more SERIOUS catch up . . .

Shantel – I am so happy that you have found a career path that you get so much fulfillment out of that you are also so great at. That is really fantastic!!! You definitely made the right choice. How come you have decided to stay at the bank after graduation instead of going directly to work for a dentist?? Aren’t you worried about losing some of your new skills in the interim?? It is really great that the bank will work with you though if that is what you decide to do. Always nice to have options. Those are great pics from the wedding. You and Randy look spectacular. Love the new car!!!! Invest in some Quicksilver shampoo for Ben. Wash him once all over really quick in a regular shampoo just to get the dust/dirt off, then wash just the white portions of his coat again in the Quicksilver. I use a soft body curry to rub the Quicksilver directly into the white hair turning it a lovely dark purple color. Let the Quicksilver set for about 10 minutes, then rinse, and VOILA!!! SPARKLING, GLEAMING, GLOW IN THE DARK WHITE!!!! No scrubbing involved at all. Seriously. Best investment ever for a paint/pinto or anything with a lot of chrome. Just make sure you really rinse it out GOOD, and don’t let it set for more than the 10 minutes, or you have permanently purple horse!! [Eek!] That is one SERIOUSLY cute kitten!!!! I about died over that stuck in the hay pic. Too cute!!!! Congrats to your aunt on her new filly!!

Tag – So sorry to hear about CK!!!! Hope he heals really, really quickly. Glad to hear he is sound. The 4 weeks should pass pretty quickly, then you can get right back to work with him.

Lauren – It doesn’t surprise me that Jade would try to anticipate a test if you rode it all the way through before a show. Mares are too clever that way. Raz is more a goofy gelding. He goes through stages. First he is just MAD that I am riding it wrong and turning in all the wrong places, and tries to FIX it for me. Then he learns the test and tries to anticipate it which I just have to let him do a time or two. Then he is bored with it, and I own the test, and he lets me guide him through it placid as can be. I just have to get him through all the stages before he is “show ready”. Never fails though, he HAS to go through that show prep. It only takes a half dozen rides through a test to get him to show ready though, so it isn’t a long process. Then we work on polishing the test and making it clean and neat. There is something to be said for teaching a horse a test though. Raz doesn’t anticipate the transitions so much as he anticipates my aids. He KNOWS there is a canter transition at A for example, and he is ready and waiting for my canter aid. If I don’t give the aid, he won’t canter at A, but when I do give the aid at A – BAM!!! He is prompt, clean and immediate to the canter. No hesitation, no tension, no fuss. Just steps right up to the canter nice as can be. Makes the test really flow when both horse and rider know what comes next. Raz takes comfort knowing where the “hard” parts are and where the “easy” parts are, and especially knowing where the end is!!! YIKES!! Another job?? You are really going to strain yourself to the limit there girl!!! Are you going to leave yourself any time riding?? Make sure you don’t spread yourself too thin. OMG!!! Poor Scotch got attacked by a lunge whip with a plastic bag on the end!!!!! The poor pony!!! I can’t believe you managed to stay on him through all of that. Good riding. Okay, now for the lecture – NEVER wear a sweatshirt that you have to remove over your head that will require you to take your helmet off silly girl. Always wear zip up sweatshirts and fleeces that you can remove without having to take your helmet off. So much easier, not to mention safer!!! Soooo glad that the farrier was able to fix up Scotch’s feet!!! Sounds like he was low in the heel if he needed wedges, and that will DEFINITELY make a horse sore and ouchy. Those wedges should fix him right up no problem. Once his feet grow out so that he has enough heel to not need the wedges any longer, you may still need to keep him in an eggbar shoe in the front to help give him extra support. That was what happened with Raz. When I first got him, too low in the heel, put wedges on, heel grew out, but I still have to keep him in the eggbar or else he gets REALLY SORE in his lower back because he doesn’t have enough support in the heel with just plain shoes. So happy to hear Scotch is feeling better!!!! YEAH!!!!! Shame on you!!! You can not accidentally call someone, panic, hang up, and then ditch their calls when they call you back. Silly girl. Just let the call go through and tell them you dialed their number by accident. No big deal. HA!! Good luck not wiggling down the center line. Raz and I STILL wiggle down the center line. I swear there are days we look half drunk. Those are GREAT SCORES!!!! So glad to hear that the show went so well. Congrats!! Sounds like Scotch really settled in nicely – after he decided the trailer wasn’t going to eat him. Silly pony. Great vacation pics!! HA!!! Scotch rounds up geese!!! Nice!!!! Watch out for those geese. They are nasty critters, and they BITE!!!

Emily – You think you have a lot of chrome to keep clean on Inky and Lipton – try keeping Razzle clean!!!!! I’m embarrassed to admit that I’m either 6 or 7 weeks behind on Lost at this point. I’ve just been WAY too busy to watch any TV recently, so everything has been on hold. Too many clinics/shows, etc. to get ready for, so all TV has been on hold. I have all the episodes on tape at home. Just haven’t actually WATCHED them yet. Maybe this weekend. We’ll see. Love the Taiwan pictures. Your dress was gorgeous!!! All my dresses seem to be black. I so need to find a really gorgeous non-black dress like yours. Love it!! Stef’s browband is stunning!!! Love the new stallplates as well. They came out really nice. Wow, tough show for you and the gang of horses. Guess Lipton is really feeling his oats. Definitely time to up his workload to the next level. Glad to hear you weren’t hurt. Looks like all of us are getting tested by our horses recently. Sounds like Lipton is going well. You should be ready for your show next weekend. Poor Inky sounds really out. Hope he can get adjusted. They always find a way to tell you when they are out. Sorry to hear the judging didn’t go so well. So hard when a lot comes down to personal preference. The Hippology shirt sounds really nice.

Megan – The first time Raz was hot shod, his eyes BUGGED out of his head. He never moved a hoof, but he whipped his head all the way around and never took his eyes off the farrier for the rest of the shoeing session. HA!! Didn’t trust that guy!!! Hot shoeing is the best. Definitely trust your instinct when it comes to bits for your horse. You know best. Glad to hear Vegas was well behaved despite the wild surroundings. Sounds like you made the right decision to scratch and come home early given the type of judging you were facing. The colt is too cute!! Sorry to hear about the bad chem test grade. Hope it doesn’t turn out as bad as you are expecting. I LOVE the name Scribbles, totally perfect for a tobiano. Hey, sometimes rides just go really bad, and you have to throw in the towel. What to do for “motorcycle” turns: the horse is leaning not bending. The rider’s first instinct is to grab that inside rein and PULL the horse’s nose around for more inside bend. Won’t work. Will just make the horse LEAN more. Makes the problem 10x worse. Give up your inside rein. You are probably already pulling on it for all you are worth without realizing it. Sit up. Sit on your inside seat bone. Ride from your seat and use your inside leg to bend the horse and push the horse to your outside rein. Half halt and GIVE on that outside rein. Time your half halts when the horse’s ears are at the highest point in the canter stride. Do not ride forever in the canter trying to fix this. Do many trot/canter transitions, canter a half circle or maybe one circle asking for more bend, then transition back to trot, re-establish a nice working trot with good bend, then try your canter again for no more than one circle – unless you get a great canter, then stay in canter, but try to transition back to trot before you lose the good canter. When you are able, SOFTLY, CAREFULLY add the inside rein back in with gentle suppleing only to keep the horse soft on the inside rein.

McKenzie – Raz prefers 2-2 over 2-1 because the counter canter is soooo much easier (just half way down the long side as opposed to a 3 loop serpentine), and traver instead of shoulder-in which Raz has always found easier. Yes, the Nugget video was short, but definitely show that he was already reaching for the bit in a really nice, steady manner. He looks great, and like a super fun horse to work with. Could you describe a Dressage Equitation class to me?? I’ve never done one before, but I was considering entering one in the next schooling show. Figured it would be nice to know WHAT I was entering before I did so!! HA!!! Not all that concerned about though. Don’t figure they can throw anything at me that I can’t handle, but just would be nice to be prepared in advance for what they are going to ask for. Glad to hear the move to the new barn went well. Sounds like Nugget’s training is progressing along very well. So glad to hear that your first lesson at Miari went so well.

Dobby – Sorry to hear you still haven’t managed to sort out the riding situation with your parents, but at least school is almost over for the year, so hopefully summer will bring some welcome changes your way. Ah, not a bad ride on Gayla. Well as I always say, we have to have bad rides from time to time so that we are able to recognize when we do have good rides, right. Don’t worry, you’ll turn it around. You were having an off day. She was having an off day. You’ll both get it sorted out and be back on track again. Glad to hear you had such a fantastic lesson on Gayla. Knew you would get it all sorted out again. Don’t worry, those canter transitions will come. Hope you are able to work out something with the half lease on Spectrum. Oh, Dobby, I hate when stuff like that happens. You REALLY NEED to talk to your trainer. You just need to lay it out and tell her what you want NOW before things spiral any further out of control. Just spill your guts and talk to her.

Holly – Welcome to 1st Level!!! You are going to go through MANY ruts. Some will last longer than others. Some will make you feel like you have actually backtracked rather than just getting stuck in place. Don’t let it deter you. Just keep pressing on. Enjoy this time you are working on right now at 1st because your biggest test of faith and perseverance is yet to come. 1st Level is a fun level. It has its trials and tough spots and difficulties, and when you rough it out and make it through, the real rider test begins – how badly do you want 2nd? I swear, you seem to manage the craziest falls – landing on your feet no less. Well done!!! Sounds like you made a real break through in your jumping with Fleck. I was never any good with the jumping which is why I gave it up. I love you idea for the saddle pad embroidery for Fleck – too funny!!! Fleck definitely needs to be doing stretches before every ride. I do them with Raz before every ride – or rather, Raz does them as soon as I step into his stall then looks at me expectantly like, “So, where’s my carrot??” HA!!! I used to have to actually put the carrot on each hip/ankle/between his legs to get him to stretch. Now all I have to do is open his stall door, and he automatically does all of his stretches and looks for his carrot. Now if I could just get him to pick his own feet out too. [big Grin] Soooo, have you set up an appointment with your dr yet??? Huh, huh?? Have you?? OF COURSE YOU HAVEN’T!!!! CALL YOUR DR!!!!!! Or else I’m going to start this tactic: I feel sooo good. I haven’t had a migraine in a month. My meds are working soooo well. I am soooo happy. HA!!!!! So you are saying your friend is selling you all this stuff including a stud kit, and here I am thinking, Fleck’s gelded, what on earth do you need a stud kit for??? DUH!!!! Slow moment there. Got it!!! Shoe studs!!! I’m with ya now!!! [ROTFL] Yes, Fleck needs studs. Clutz or not, he needs studs for cross country, and stadium if it is going to be on grass. ****, that grass if SLIPPERY!!!!! Start with really tiny ones, and only use them for XC or stadium on grass. Nothing else. We ALWAYS, ALWAYS used studs for eventing. Perhaps some of your issues with sliding around out there are related to not having studs in his shoes. Make SURE he wears bell boots on the front when he the studs on though. Little added protection. I know you already use splint boots, so you have that protection going. He is not a big leg tucker, so you don’t have to worry about belly damage. Great videos!!! Really shows how far you and Fleck have come since you first got him. Roany is super cute!!! OMG!!! I can’t believe Kota fell with you. What is up with you?? You must have some strange falling gene. Seriously. I’m going to guess footing. You just don’t weigh enough to throw a horse off enough to fall like that when you are just sitting there quietly. Perhaps if you were FLAILING all over the place like a monkey, maybe, but even then I seriously doubt it. Glad to hear neither of you were hurt. HA!! HA!! HA!!! YES, straight is WAY harder than SI or HI. Raz finds HI much easier than SI as well, but that’s because, like Fleck, he falls in with his butt. Getting a correct bending HI is actually pretty hard. Sounds like you had a fantastic lesson. I was working Raz last night down each long side bouncing him from SI to HI at B/E at the collected trot with a transition to walk then right back to collected trot right smack in the middle of each SI and HI. He was soooo cranky about that. He really felt he shouldn’t have to combine lateral work and transition work into the SAME exercise!!! HA!!!!

Holly Ashland Video Critique: Okay so vids aren’t as clear as being there in person, but I’ll do my best. Fleck’s stronger gait is definitely the trot. He looks great in both tests at the trot. Nice and even and relaxed and soft. The transitions are a little rough. You could prep him a little better/ask a little sooner to make those a little smoother. Don’t wait until you are right at the letter to ask for your transition then panic and yell your aid at him and rush him into the transition. Ask in advance of the letter and give him a chance to respond, and if he happens to respond the second you ask and you get an early transition, oh well, better early than late. Also, it looks like you are trying to hold him in a frame with your hands through the transition which is leading to him popping up off the bit. You have to stay soft in your whole arm without throwing your contact away in order for the transition to work. Half halt, half halt, half halt, soft, transition, half halt, half halt, half halt. The timing has to be perfect, or you will get the head bob. Any tension in your arms, seat or legs, any gripping in your thighs, the transition won’t work. When you are soft, he is soft. The canter is where things start to get a little dicey. The first test is better than the second as he hasn’t gone into “jumper mode” yet. The canter is a little more together. He stays more up and under himself, but he still falls to the right with his haunches. OK, so that’s his deal. Learn to correct for it. Raz falls left with his. You just have to learn to feel when he falls and push his butt back to straight. If you look at the second test, you will see that he really leans in the canter and falls over his shoulder. He has gone to jumper mode, and you never really got him back to dressage mode and re-engaged the hind end for the canter. You had him in the trot, but lost him in the canter. So my question to you is, after you transition to canter, what do you do?? He is cantering around nice and pretty, but what do YOU do?? Do you just sit there legs on making sure Fleck continues to canter until it is time to trot?? Or are you half halting like a mad woman?? Hopefully you are half halting like a mad woman because that is what he needs. He needs you to help him get that hind end stepping under him, and lift that front end and get him off his shoulder. So WHEN do you half halt?? When his ears are at the highest point of the canter stride. That is when your half halt will be the most effective. The final piece of advice I want to offer you is this. When you have to do a jumper round, and then turn around and go back in the dressage ring, and you are FIGHTING to get Fleck back from jumper to dressage mode – DO NOT canter round and round that warm up ring fighting with him giving four million half halts hoping he will listen to you. He won’t. That doesn’t work. The best way to get a horse to start using his hind end and really engaged is TRANSITIONS. Go from the jumper ring right to your dressage warm up and do a whole slew of w/t transitions, rapid w/t transitions – as in 2-3 strides walk, 2-3 strides trot, 2-3 strides walk, etc.. Just keep repeating, then bump it up to rapid t/c transitions. Fleck will have no choice but to sit, engage and carry. Don’t fight, don’t battle, just transition, transition, transition. And make sure you have practiced this exercise at home first!!!! Well done!! Both tests were very nicely ridden. As for the jump video – no critique other than to say – dang, you ride that horse through his silliness really, really well!!!!

Boocoo – I so know what you mean about barrel racer turns. Raz doesn’t like using his left hind, so if I don’t have enough time to properly get him set up, like in a test, lots of our left turns look like that. That is the one thing I am battling with the 2nd level tests right now – keeping Raz properly balanced and figuring out how to set him up in shorter time frames that the tests have as opposed to being able to do 10-15 circles to prep him for a movement like you can in schooling. That left hind just keeps getting away from me, and we keep getting more and more strung out to the left. The right is nice, but the left needs some more work. Glad to hear your trainer was able to sort out your change across the diagonal. I know you have been working on sorting that particular movement out for a while now. Love the pictures of Beau!! He looks great!!! OH NO, Boocoo, I’m so sorry to hear Beau is not feeling well, and you had to scratch from your show. I was wondering how that fall was going to pan out for him. That was a really HARD fall, so I’m not surprised he has some aftereffects from it. I hope the vet/chiro can get him feeling better. Poor boy. So relieved to hear the vet worked the kinks out of Beau. A nice week of rest, and he should be good to go again. What a relief. And that is great that the show is willing to put your entry fees towards the June show. Much better than losing them entirely.

Tracy – So sorry to hear about Fessor’s total blindness. Guess it would make things a little easier though if he can’t see shadows to spook at them any more. Good luck with finals.

Lisa/LST – Sounds like you have been getting a good bit of riding in on several different horses. Sometimes it is good to just chill and ride bareback and relax.

DQ – Good to hear from you!!! So glad to hear your boys are doing so well. Great scores for Jag in at 1st Level!!! Glad to hear grad school is going so well. Keep in touch.

Hey, speaking of video clips, I have a really old, really short video clip of Raz and me from the Henk van Bergen clinic last year. Don’t think I ever uploaded it and shared it with any of you though. My video camera is ancient, and as such isn’t digital, so even though I have all my shows and clinics video taped, I can’t upload them. However, every so often, one of the kids will play with the little digital camera and take a quick little 10 second video clip of one of my rides. So that is what I have for you. It does show how HIGH Raz likes to carry his head in the canter, so you will get an idea of why I need to bring him a little lower and rounder in order for him to be able to use his back more effectively for the 2nd Level work.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/smit...=HVB-Canter.flv

So not too much happening here now that the show has been cancelled. Looks like I am now aiming at a June 3rd schooling show. In the meantime, just lots more schooling time to give me time to sort out the last details of 2nd I guess. I hopefully have a lesson this weekend, though still haven’t heard back from Julie about that yet.

Okay, think I am fully caught up. Hope I didn’t miss anyone!!!

~Shelly~

Boocoo - Wow, poor Beau! I am sure he's feeling tons better.

Holly - LOL yeah!! Barn parties are fun, and this one will be nice because it will give me a chance to meet those who I don't know. Its also a time to organize things like a freestyle clinic, barn beach ride(s), take a look at the show season, etc. so I think it will be fun.

Emily - Yay! So glad to hear Lipton is going well for you. Your show will go great [big Grin] . Hope the migraine disappears soon!

Megan - Haha, that's usually my "thing" too...occasionally I think I NEED to stress a little bit. You're right, I think if more people were educated about breeding, a lot of the current problems would be not as escalated or prominent. I have always done dressage, but have been on other-discipline horses, where forward isn't in their vocabulary, and ohmygosh is it different!!

Shantel - That's exciting news!! We need pictures... [Wink][big Grin]

Shelly - lmao....nice pictures!! I saw some OUTRAGEOUS jumping bats at the local tack store, and was seriously tempted to buy one, they are nothing short of hilarious...and that browband, OMG [ROTFL] And yes, I cannot figure out why they put the 3-loop canter serpentine in 2-1, it's not an easy movement to master. So I've never actually watched the Dressage Eq. class and don't know much about it either, call me crazy...I know it's a group class, like a rail class, and I believe the top 3 winners of the whole group then go on and do an individual pattern in front of the judges. I am really pleased about how Nugget's training is coming along. I just cannot get over how calm, sweet and smart he is. He's got awesome Stallion qualities, I mean his temperment is OUTSTANDING.

Off to ride in about 25 minutes, but hopefully going to talk my mom into Subway first, hehe. I made brownies and a salad for the potluck later on tonight. They are a mix from Betty Crocker, but I LOVE them [Razz] .

Its gorgeous out right now, hope everyones weather is pleasent! Enjoy the ponies everyone.... [smiley Wavey]

Vegas Sky- Sounds like you have some fun times at school! Yes "normal" (haha) people do certainly tend to conform to societies ways. May I ask why the diagnosis was at such a later age? Or what made the doctor diagnosis it?

I would be nervous, **** girl you are moving across the country! It certainly will be a scarey ordeal IMO. It's not like you are going just down a state or two...lol its the entire nation! whaaahahhahaha!! But yet it is all the more thrilling. That's great that you are rooming with another Transfer student it makes it ten times better. And not to mention you 2 are in the same major double the better!! Yeh he was totally like you want a piece of me...like we are part of the mob. haha seagull bowling! That sounds like a blast! Always wanted to ride on the beach....maybe someday. Hope that Chem test didn't bit you in the butt! Maybe you did better than you thought!! Fun fun riding horses! I miss riding more than one horse. I went from riding 4-8 in a day to just riding Scotch. That's what i get for deciding to go back to school. Have fun at your dressage lesson

shantel- Awhhh cute kitty! The pic of her/him stuck between the hay bales is hilarious! haha!

Holly- to true. pretty is as pretty does. I think once he really gets the idea of sitting back on his haunches he'll start to square up those knees. Especially once you start adding bigger fences in bounces and grids. That will get him to snap them up! ugh I know..but still 1.5 years is a long time! RAWR. hehe yeh man! I can just see it too....or him going charging up to an Advance fence and going Pah I got this mom! haha i know but i totally was in the moment of charing ANGRY geese! OOOO sounds like your lesson went really well! Lots of lateral work this time huh! A fun productive lesson. I bet small arenas are like a WHOA for him. Making him come back a bit more readily. Have fun at the partyyyyy. woohoo naked rain dance!!

McKenzie- LoL slowly but ever so surely. haha yeh it's funny when you piece a bridle together with others. Currently Scotch's bridle is made up of 2 different ones...not quite like Teddy's! hehe. Does your bridle at least match? Have fun at the potluck! And I can help you out w/ the Dressage Eq. I've done lots of them and big ones at Regionals and Northeast Jr/Yr Championships. My last Dressge Eq. class (competed at 2nd leve)) was judged by Courtney King! I've done them Ranging from Training up to 2nd level. It can be quite entertaining at times. So if you have any questiosn I can hook you up.

Emily- that's super that Lipton was good for you! Good luck this weekend. Hope your head feels better

Boocoo- Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Hopefully he will feel much better after that session.

Shelly- Hahah I've scope out those jumping bats before. They crack me up...and OMG Scotch would just look soooo gorgeous in that diamond tiara. Oman I am tempted! [ROTFL] Yes most mares a very clever. And Jade was certainly at the top. Oh malesss whether four legged or two legged. [Roll Eyes] That is terrific that he can be so prompt and responsive to your aids. This will certainly help you succeed at the upper levels. LoL the ending back down the center line and he's like Yeh man give me that halt baby! You will do great at 2nd level! Can't wait to hear how your first show goes! Oh yes I'm maxed out to the limit. I do manage time to ride...though these days I dont get to the barn till 8ish and leave around Quarter of 10pm! It makes for al ong day. but I will make it work..some way or another. Yeh you're telling me, I couldn't believed I stayed on too. Must of been my lucky day. Ugh I hate zip up sweatshirts. Sorry i'd much rather fall then wear one of them. They drive me up the WALL. That is funny that you say that because one of the ladies goes you should wear the zip up ones. and i'm like nope. though I will wear the half zip...which isn't too bad. 99.9 percent of the time Scotch does stand there. Oh well. But thanks for the heed of warning. [Wink] It wouldn't matter anyways as sometimes I don't wear a helmet when flatting. Not sure what happened overall...but last night he was a bit off again.. UGH! I have no idea what is going on now. But I'm not sure if it was a bridle deal as he was tight and fuzzy...or if he was hurting. The BM told me he casted himself in the stall Wednesday night. I will see how he is tomorrow and that will determine whether I should scratch for Sunday. I'm thinking eventually Scotch will have to go to eggbar. not like I have the money to dish out more. haha i know shame on me! I couldn't believe I did that either. Poor justin. And thank you! He was a very good pony. We'll see how his next show goes! I have to beg to differ with you about studs. Footing up your way is different than down in GA/SC southern states. I know of quite a few horses that didn't run in SHOES at Training/Prelim levels. But I do agree that Fleck needs studs and that since their footing down there is so lovely that small studs will do all around. [big Grin] Sounds like you have been super busy! i will have to scope out that video link when i get a moment!

Alright then....busy day here! I have to hurry and submit my last Aplia HW probs online for MicroEcon yayyyyy! Finals next week. thank goodness. Busy weekend...some of the ladies hired me to braid for their Rec. show this weekend. Hopefully my lil man won't be lame tomorrow...so we can still go to the show on Sunday. If he is the tiniest bit off I will just scratch. Went to Rita's Italian and had a Banana Split Sunday Gelati! MMMM it was very tasty! Now I'm watching..erm Flushed Away! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sorry I have not had time to catch up yet. I am running on empty. Going to the barn twice a day, working, trying to keep Beau going. I am just flat out getting old.

Luv, how are things at the new barn?

Smithereens, glad to see you back on the board.

Beau is such a hoot at the Vet. She loves him and she did highly compliment his physique. Said he looked glorious, filled out, nice top line dressage muscles, robust and healthy. When she was done working on his diaphram, he turned his head around and looked really hard at his side. It was so cute. Then she gave him a treat and he wanted another one. She said he had to wait, and do you know that horse of mine pouted. She said "oh my gosh, look at him, he is pouting." Every time she did something to him, he would turn his head around and look at what she just did. Since it has been raining cats and dogs here, all the horses are shut up in their stalls. At least they have runs on them. And I am actually glad right now. Beau does not need to be turned out right now. Hopefully it will be dry enough in their small paddocks tomorrow, to put them out there for a while.

I am going to have to play catch up tomorrow. Off to get some much needed sleep!

lauren: yeah... she dropped the class. i thought she was saying she got a 70 and was all excited. she was in the front of the class holding up 7 fingers. so i smiled and gave thumbs up and she shook her head, frowned, and counted off 7. ooops! anyways, YUM! i had my first gilati the other day, right after italian dinner. it was scrumptious. i had mint chocolate as that is my all time favorite! hope mr scotch is sound and you can show. let us know how it goes!!

emily: that's great that lipton was a good boy. good luck at your show!! and poor inky. hope he gets realigned soon and feels better. ummmm, ice cream and imitrex. that's a good idea. Must be a bad week for migraines, i've had a ton too. and my poor half-bro who is only like 6 or 7, had one today too. poor kid.

vegas: well, yeah.. sounds like you are a smarty as long as you study! it's hard to do it right though and every night. i'm a majorly bad procrastinator. that's an awesome dentist joke...works for us too! oooooooh, man-o-war is like my favorite race horse ever! did you see that john henry turned 32! i think it was john henry. i liked him too. and exterminator/old bones, and..who was my other favorite.... guess those three. mostly cause i've read their books [smile]

shantel: awww, baby kitties and baby ponies! awesome! and...i need to do some major field work, but....probably won't. too busy/dry/poor you name it. oh well. maybe eventually we'll get to it.

boocoo: poor beau! sounds like he's feeling better already. man..i am sore in my neck and shoulder from my fall and i can't imagine being a big ol' horse and falling. i bet he hurts! but sounds like he'll feel better soon and be rarin' (hopefully not!) to go to the june show. and it'll be nice to have barn chores help pay the vet bill! whoo hoo. awww, sounds like a busy weekend, but... maybe you'll get more rest than if you showed??? get some rest and relax! you and beau both deserve it. hee hee. the first time (and only so far, but he's going again soon) fleck was done...he was also staring at her like "What are you doing, you crazy.....ooooh, wow...that feels good". hee hee.

shelly: OOOOOOOH, i want a wand and i want it now.. NOW!!! those are awesome. hee hee. can you see poor fleck's face if i walked up with one of those. oooh, i'm gonna have to copy that quicksilver tip. i do that already but not the sitting for 10 minutes part! excellent! okay okay... i'm calling the doctor first thing monday morning. i promise... cause it's getting ridiculous this week. i'm also going to go to the chiro cause that always seems to help. but... this week was bad. so yeah... i'll do it! I WILL DO IT!!! hee hee. studs.... yep...fleck wishes he was a stud!! course he's got some old retired arab mare girlfriends... he ain't that cool! hee hee. okay, now i'm picturing me with my tiara and my sparkle crop.... making monkey noises and riding! hee hee... yeah.. i was sitting quietly, although i might have turned my head to say something to her, but...my head doesn't weigh that much! i know i do have a big head, full of a big smarty brain and all, but... yeah. it was just wierd! and i am still sooooo sore. my neck and shoulder are KILLING me..course i also rode fleck since then and he likes to hang on that right rein and seemed to be extra bad since i was sore. so i'm sure that didn't help. although he was probably hanging on it, cause i was making him hang on it since i was sore. oh well. Thanks! i am pretty proud of us too! we've still got a ways to go, but i feel like we're getting there! oooh, i'm definately gonna start doing carrot stretches before and after. i've been doing them after, but not consistently. of course... i gotta be careful. fleck might fall on me again!!! i was stretching out his front leg that one time he almost fell on me.

ooooh, yay critiques! i think...embarassedly enough! (is that word? probably not) that i sit there and keep my leg on. I don't think i'm half-halting nearly as much as i should. So will definately work on that. and i've been working on the up transitions. i used to throw my hands away and lean forward, so i've been working on holding, but i think i've gone too overboard. i need to give... but hold. and...how exactly do you keep their haunches straight? so like fleck is always ridden in a shoulder fore cause he pops that outside shoulder out. So... i almost always have my outside leg slightly forward. And i've felt him falling in at the haunches and even fishtailing sometimes. but i'm worried that if i slide my inside leg back to bump him back up, i'll end up twisting myself.... i guess if i focus on keeping my seat even and my shoulders even, it'll work itself out??? and DUH! i know transitions! but did i? no... i just kept fighting. it wasn't even that he was going fast, just crooked. but... i'll definately remember the transitions! they are magic for fleck for getting him soft and rocked back. they are definately NOW in my show warm-up repertoire as are the HI/SI/straight... but yeah.. i bet our HI aren't quite 100% yet. thanks! yeah.. he is just silly. it was funny cause people started clapping afterwards cause i guess they thought he was trying to refuse. but both trainer (his old owner) and me knew he was just wanting to go and had an ADD moment and didn't see that jump. cause once he realized it, he went! i didn't have to push him over it. silly pony. anyways! i'll definately try to get my dressage test from next weekend. even though it's only training level dressage. if you don't mind doing another critique! ooooh, great video. you guys look great! i love the raz man!

luvs: have fun at the party... yummmy! brownies are the tastiest ever! especially right out of the oven. yummmm.

so... boring night at work. not much going on. and it's been dark and cloudy and stormy all day, but no real rain. the occasional sprinkle here and there. guess my naked rain dance just grossed em' out! hee hee. my pale legs blinded the heavens! anyways... should be a fun weekend! i'm so excited. i haven't had a real friday in forever! almost all of my weekends off end up being shows or vet conferences or family stuff. so this is gonna be awesome! i can't wait [smile] hopefully i'll get to jump fleckers tomorrow, then ride kota some too.

have fun everyone!

holly

Hey everyone guess what I got on my chem test?!?!?!?! 61%!!!!!!!!! [Yay][Yay] I PASSED!! (Yes Holly, I am now officially a doctor!) So yeah, not a whole lot new here, except my sister and two cousins are over for a girls' night, and we are watching Deja Vu with Denzel Washington, so I am typing in the dark...hee hee I don't have the attention span to watch a whole movie unless it is Black Beauty or something equally as spectacular [big Grin] But anyway, we had garlic and cheese tortelloni with parmesan toast and virgin margaritas...then double chocolate brownies...yeah...so now we are just relaxing with the movie.

I had a good ride on my mare for training, but today was Vegas's day off, so I'll update with the lesson tomorrow.

Oh hey I have a team though for my first horse trial! The new owner of the TB I sold asked me to be on her team, so at least I will have someone there with me.

Boocoo: glad to hear the vet trip went well. Heehee Vegas LOOOVVVVEEEESSS my vet! she is always poking her nose around his pockets looking for treats and pets....though she does get a little nervous when he holds the vein in her neck for an IV injection, because she knows the rompin (sp?) is next!

Shelly: [ROTFL] Those crops! I need to get one of those, but just because VEGAS is the princess! Vegas hopped around a little for the hot shoes, but not bad, we will definitely be doing those from now on. Yeah I should have not put that bit in her mouth at all, though she is just fine in her plain snaffle again. I don't think it would really be a problem, but while we were retraining her from being a rental horse, my trainer (same one with the Dr Bristol) had me go through a lot of really severe bits, so it has taken me a long time to soften her mouth again. Yeah that judge was a typical breed show judge, so I wasn't going to ruin my good training for a couple of ribbons. The little babies are cute! Unfortunately, with so many students running around, their names change a few times...Pretzel stuck, but Scribbles is now Wesley. Thanks for the tips on corners...they are worst at the canter, but the trot is bad too. I am going to ask my trainer if we can work on that tomorrow too in our lesson. Nice video of Razz, I didn't realize he was colored...overo right? What a pretty boy!

McKenzie: Haha yeah, a little more motivation up in here wouldn't be a bad idea...but it was better than I thought, so whatever. Yeah, there are a lot of breeding problems out there that would be sloved by a little education, much like the problems we see with household pets...it's sad, really. Wow, now that I think about it, I have ridden a lot of other disciplines...and it's always different. Even when I change from dressage to hunt seat on my own horse, it's different! But yeah, the strangest is western pleasure, simply because they don't go forward!! That's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you like, but it's just so different.

Lauren: Well, my diagnosis was a bit of a process. The thing about Asperger's is that it is one of those syndromes that not very many dr's are familiar with, and a lot of the symptoms can mimick other syndromes. A lot of kids with AS are viewed ad eccentric and odd and high energy. So, about fourteen or fifteen years ago, when my parents were first noticing that I was quite different from the other children, there was not a lot of education out there about AS. At that time, I was about three, and I was diagnosed with ADHD. My parents ran with that and it seemed to explain everything for a long time. As I got older, I began having more social problems interacting with other people - adults and children alike, along with some of the other sensory and learning problems associated with AS. It was all chalked up to just being a shy kid with ADHD and dyslexia. The school I was going to at the time was a small, rural school that didn't even have a full-time nurse, so there was absolutely no education about any kind of syndrome, except the more common learning disabilities. Once I got into high school, there was more education about asperger's, and it was clear that there was something more going on, and thus the diagnosis of AS was made, and now everything really makes sense...Heehee yeah it is a liitle strange to think that I will be so far away from my family, because we are all really close, especially with my dad - he is really the strong patriarch type of dad and grandpa, but I still have him wrapped around my finger, and so do all the grandkids! Anyway, so yeah I am a little nervous, but it is good that I have already met a few people there, and Vegas is coming with me, so I think it will be okay, and I know I will love the school. OMG!!! Riding on the beach is sooo much fun!!! We are in a pretty lucky spot geographically, because we are within an hour and a half of the beach, directly in the heart of the valley, two hours to the mountains, and three hours away is the other side of the mountains and the high desert area and the rest of Eastern Oregon. So basically, if you have a trailer and can afford the fuel (which is more of a problem these days) you can't get bored. But the beach is still the best, and the horses love it too. Gaaa...sometimes I would just like a day to NOT ride! I major need a vacation though, without the horses maybe. Don't get me wrong, I love my horses and my life, but every once in a while it is nice to get away, even just for the weekend. Hope the lil man stays sound for your show!

Okay, so now it is the next morning after I started this!!! I gave up and went to bed after the movie, but now I have to go get ready for my lesson...after I go eat the rest of those gooey brownies!

Well, my lesson went really well today! We worked on corners a lot, and getting her to stand up by thinking of riding straight lines in the corners instead of bending deep into the corners. When it's done though it just looks like a good corner.

Then we worked on leg yield. Part of the problem was that she was just being stubborn about it, because she DOES know how to do them. So after we got serious about going sideways with the whip (not hitting hard, just a little encouragement to know I meant what I said) she did fine.

We also worked on getting a good connection and contact at the end. She was trotting out nicely and stretching through the the topline and being free in the shoulder, it was beautiful. I can't wait to get the video.

Speaking of which, does anybody know how to get video onto the computer? I can play it through media player, but I don't know how to save it onto the computer as a data file...

Just chilling out now without the parentals...I watched the thing on Barbaro tonight, it was really good. It made me cry, but hey so did the really cheesy horse movie I watched today...come to think of it, I must be PMSing or something because after the movie I looked out of the window and saw Vegas and thought 'that's MY horse, and she's still alive!'...then it was just... [Me Cry][Me Cry] all over the place...and I ate half a box of brownies with frosting...