Sign in to follow this  
smithereens_86

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 15!!

Thanks Luv. It is a really good truck. We have been very pleased with it. I need to wash it and vacuum it out after all this rain and mud!!

Oh goodness, I'm so tired everybody. I was at school at 2 AM, thats right, TWO IN THE MORNING, to leave for UW Stout for state Science Olympiad. We're an underfunded team and we're all white so naturally, we never do well against the scary rich asian kids, but we have fun! Okay that wasn't meant to be taken as racist as it sounds. But ITS TRUE! In other news, we jumped on Thursday and actually HAD FUN, and we handgalloped around the arena like freaks on Friday, and it was FUN

*whines* Wait for me guys, waiittt! Nah, actually, like often repeated before, I have given up. I read a bunch, but once again, gave up.

Went on a trail ride and hack on Spectrum on Friday with my friend, Anna. Her OTTB behaved WONDERFULLY and was more in control than Spectrum [Razz] . I was boasting all week how good Spectrum was. But he proved me wrong with his antics! [Roll Eyes] Ah well, I am still happy for my friend. After 3 bad bolting experiences with this horse a year ago, they have come a far way. This is her 1st time cantering him in the open field (besides one event in Nov.)after those incidents. She even let him gallop for four strides or so. He was lazy, in control, and gave her the most gorgeous natural dressage canter on the flat 20 meter circle we have out there. Her smile was huggee [big Grin] !

Spectrum was, excuse me, an ***. No way around it. Bucked a little, tossing his head, crow-hopping, we half-cantered, half-galloped up a field, went to the top, I relaxed into the canter figuring he was fine, but as we turned left, deer popped out from the right ( I didn't see them, my friend did!). BOOM! We set off, once again, me barely constraining him at the canter, with only one stirrup, going slightly downhill. We narrowly miss gopher holes and the jack*** pulls his antics. Of course at this point I am screaming in high falsetto SPECTRUMMM!!!!!

[ROTFL] I finally held him all the way back down to a trot. That is spring fever for you!

As for Gayla, well, our ride today involved her pulling some things I thought we already had gotten rid of. She has been so wonderful these past weeks, but today she kept breaking into the trot from the walk she was so excited. Mares! The first twenty minutes she had to have her dramatics and tantrums and moodyness and then BAM! We had the best trot TO DATE in both directions. She continues to surprise me. Our first canter was a diaster, so I did that direction again (after I calmed her down and got that wonderful trot back) and it was improved, but not great. We switched directions, trotting around, and I wasn't thinking. [Duh] I totally wasn't clear about my lead directions when picking up the canter, so there was an awkward, bouncing around first sew strides, but then she gave me a fine canter (for Gayla at least). She was tired, there were four other riders in the ring, and she gave me a good last 20 meter circle canter and a good transition into the trot so I cooled her down and called it a day.

She is such a doll. I love her, but we both really need work on that canter. I haven't worked her much at the canter, but realized that I really need to. Cantering her only once every so often and then being asked to do so in lessons isn't cutting it--we need consistent work on it. The good news is that our trot is fannttassttic by the end of the ride. It's just working and waiting and asking and working for it for the first half of the ride.

It's totally worth it. This mare is gold. I'm in love. [Embarrassed]

Oh, and I forgot to tell you guys. She has done two flying lead changes all by herself, without me asking, when she has accidently gotten on the wrong lead at the canter. [big Grin]

*gulps* this is what I get for leaving for 3 days. And I can't get myself to reply to everyone! So I'll just respond to the one's i can remember Sounds like everyone has been busy and having fun!

McKenzie- awh. Flies/gnats are never good! Hope he is better behaved for you the next time.

Boocoo- Nice truck! Very droolworthy! PS. I swear I'm still going to send out the check. It's taking me longer than normal..which is no surprise b/c everything takes me twice as long these days! I apologize profusely!

Vegas Sky- yeh for PAer's! it is a pretty nice state eh? Wilson is in a quaint little town...can't wait to hear how everything else went for you Glad you are liking the college.

dobby- Hacking! weeee!! Sounds like you had an adventure!

Not much to report here. Scotch has been going extremely well these last few days. Very workmanlike with a super connection from hind to front. I'm quite excited to start working on his lengthings since he is a powerhouse from behind. Staying very even in the bridle which has been a long, torrmented road and I believe we are really seeing the light now! Hoping to head to a schooling show on the 21st....if entries are still open and I can find a ride! ahh! Not even sure where i'll start him out this year. Might start back at training 1 and 2 just to see how much he has matured over the course of the year. Have a lesson tomorrow...hopefully. Made some hardcore sugar cookies tonight. From Scratch...including the frosting. I can't believe how long it took me to decorate those darn things! Should be typing up a speech....but yet again I'm procrastinating.

Hope everyone had a fun weekend!

Holy frijole!! I actually expected there to a lot more posts on here since the last time I posted, but there are not that many...not really sure what that means [Question] So we are done with the school tour and I am in LOVE!! I soooo wish I was staying there for good now, but I still have to go home and finish this school year and pack and get Vegas ready to go! Oh well, the campus and the faculty are amazing! Everyone is there for the students, not the numbers. The Equestrian facility is...there's no words for it...it's everything I hoped for, and more. The staff are really knowledgeable and they want to help you and the want to see you succeed. I am SOOO glad I chose this school! GO WILSON COLLEGE!!!! (I will get pics up later...it's really late now). Anyway, after the visit was over we took the short drive to Gettysburg and went through the national park there, which was really cool, and tomorrow we are going to do the Pennsylvania Dutch country, which to my uncultured Oregonian self is way cool and totally exotic! It was a really goos trip, and I even survived my mother, though the trip out here when I move will not be so good...we are driving over, so like five days in the car with her - UGH! Oh well, whatev, I will live. I am just so excited about my school, and the town it is in is so cool too, it was actually burned by confederate troops during the civil war, and the town square is where General Lee decided to march on Gettysburg!

Sorry I rambled and congratulations on making it through my post, I'm still doing the happy dance that the dorm beds are comfortable (and long enough for my 5'10" self!) [Yay][Jump][big Grin][Yay]

Wow guys. We would be crucial in real life together. Can you imagine the sound of all of us chatting away in person? Oh my!

Went to get feed/hay/shavings today. I have been buying some coastal b/c its 1/2 the price of the T/A to give them more to munch on and not totally kill my wallet. Well of course they are out. And wont be getting any until the hay gets cut in May. So then I go to get my shavings, and the kind I like is out and he says hes been ordering it for over 2 wks and it hasnt come! I like SunCoast larke flakes. Its $6.45 and expands to 100 sq ft (10x10 area). Its cooked so theres no dust, no bacteria, just good stuff. But noooooo. They dont have it. I had to get this Regal Downs stuff. It only expands to 70 sq ft, but there was no dust. Its not as large of flakes as the other stuff, but it will work.

I actually saw that the feed store sells that pelleted bed stuff, but its not woody pet. I am going to call and get a price on it and find out what it expands to with water. Wondering if that might be a better deal? I dont have any where to get a large load of shavings or saw dust dumped and I certainly do not want to have to shovel it into the wheel barrow just to dump it into the stalls. Whatever is bagged is what I buy. Makes life easier.

So I got the barn done, spread 4 flakes of coastal all over the pasture so if Ben comes up and chases Layla off, she has 15 other piles to go to. LOL

Today The Moms and I went to the mall. I had to pick up my solitaire as the diamond was getting tightened onto the band. Then I went and got some really cute clothes for every day and for work and some very cute shoes. Then we went to Kohls and I got more shoes! LOL But I did need new tennis shoes for school.

Ive got to call the saddle fitter tomorrow. Ive been closely watching Laylas back. She has 2 areas on either side of her withers, though its patchy, its still symetrical on either side, of white hairs popping up. Shes not sore but I know what that means. After I rode Saturday, I was looking at the sweat marks and theres dry patches right where the white hairs are. So I mean, yes its good shes bulking up so much in her topline, but dangit, more money to spend to get it adjusted. At least shes not sore.

According to my calendar and charting, Layla should be coming back into heat around the end of this week. So Ill have the vet out for her breeding soundness exam and cultures she has to take. Ive got the breeding contracts signed and am faxing them tomorrow. YAY.

My friend Mara, she sometimes posts on here as TheRedHorse or BooBada, rides with an upper level dressage rider and shes going to have 2 foals on the ground this year, so shes going to pry them for information about what they do prior to the foals hitting the ground (feed changes etc for mares) and also see how long they keep the mares and foals seperate before going back into a herd, and how they wean them, so I can get first hand info for Laylas baby next year.

And nice trucks ladys!

I have an 2004 New body style F150 XLT with the 5.4 v8 and towing package. Its a Super Cab but the 4 door only has 4 more inches of room in the back in these new models, so I didnt think 4 inches was worth $8000+ more! LOL Heres some pics..

This is before we put the bull bar on up front but you can kinda sort see my tires. I lifted the front up so it sits level with the rear and put some 33" all terrian tires with about a 2-3" offset on with custom weld wheels. When Im behind you, this truck looks mean, and has a bull dog stance. I loff my truck.

-

This is with the stock rims and tires and without the bull bar but eh. And it pulls and stops the 3h GN alum trailer with ease. Im rated to tow 9k and a pay load of 4800 lbs. So we're good. They def made these newer F150s a lot stronger and tougher than the previous models.

365lbs of torque. 315 HP (added some HP with my exhaust). Nice. Im such a horse power buff. LOL

-

megan: awww, thanks. i try! hee hee. okay, so i'm having a total blond moment...or maybe it's the three twelve hour shifts in a row....but i know ONE of you guys is going to college in georgia...thought it was you, but obviously NOT! but...regardless, glad to hear you liked the campus and town. it's always nice to get there and like it as opposed to getting there and NOt liking it. and...bummer about your mom. but... just remember how fun it'll be to get there and not have to be home except for breaks!!! oh yeah! are you staying in a dorm or in a n apartment? i know everyone says it's nerdy, but living in the dorm the first year was sooooo much fun. i had a blast. get some rest! have a safe trip home if you're not already home. oooh, i forgot about the horse part. that's way cool. did you get any pics?

luvs: hee hee. Teddy is a spoiled boy! but....i can't say anything cause fleck and roany are too. but hey, whatever it takes to make them happy. since they make us so happy.

boocoo: oooh, good to hear about the boots. i love that company. and my sportives are sooo comfy. i'll have to start saving up... or maybe i can just bat my eyelashes at the hubby. hmmmm. probably should start saving. apparently i don't know how to bat eyelashes...tend to look like i'm having a seizure...not sexy! but speaking of sexy, that truck is NICE! i bet it hauls awesome. i've got a 2500 chevy silverado and it hauls nice, but...i bet nothing compared to that. so you prefer the V10's over the diesels? i'll eventually upgrade. and when i do, i'm getting a sunroof! i LOVE sunroofs. bummer about all the rain. maybe it'll stop soon. you know what they say about march. it finally rained some here. but mostly just a sprinkle. more just smeared the pollen around than anything.

emily: GOOD LUCK! you guys are gonna do great! sounds like so much fun. hope you have a stress free, relaxing, exciting, great ride, blue ribbon filled weekend! can't wait for results and pics! or video!!!

lisa: hee hee. 2 am is like...dinnertime for me... hee hee. how'd the science thing go? hopefully well. and yay for fun jumping and the hand gallop. i really think that a good gallop is soooo good for the soul. fleck and i routinely go to the horse park and hack around and then will open up on the gallop track. we always feel so refreshed and i know he enjoys it too. get some sleep!

dobby; that's great for your friend. it takes courage to do that, so awesome. and bummer for you. silly ponies. oh well. i think everyone's had a bad ride or two recently. chalk it up to spring fever. atleast you got it over with (hopefully!!). but that is great news about gayla's trot. yay! i bet soon enough you'll get it from the start and keep it. and that canter will get better soon too. keep at it! yay for good ponies.

lauren: yay! sounds like scotch is really getting over his bridle lameness issue. excellent. and YUM! sugar cookies are soooo yummy and homemade is even better. we were slow at work the other day so we painted the plastic easter eggs for one of the vets kids. it was so fun. did you decorate your cookies easter style?

shantel: oooh, you've got a nice truck too. everyone with their fancy trucks....though i notice the trend for the fords...maybe i shouldn't but i'll post my chevy! hee hee. my first car was a chevy blazer and i drove that thing into the ground. i was a princess and my daddy bought it for me and did all the work. so when smarty me went to college i didn't realize you had to change your oil. oops! that and a few other mishaps (tearing through my rotors, etc) did it in. at the final straw i stalled out. funnily enough... i had a t-shirt on that i found at the thrift store that said "this is ford country...where on a quiet night, you can hear the chevies rusting". and i had to get towed to the chevy dealer! eeek. turns out i was driving with only 2 of my 6 pistons. or whatever they are called. I soooo don't know mechanics! hee hee. so then i bought an F-150 and i liked it, but after 80,000 miles or so i had to replace the transmission. then i graduated and decided as a doc i deserved a new truck. well chevy was the first to come out with the employee pricing and i didn't listen to hubby who said everyone would do it, and had to get a truck NOW...did i mention i'm a princess? [Wink] and so i got my 2500 chevy silverado. but i do love it. but will probably go with a ford when i get around to upgrading again. here's my pics

his name is bart! cause he's a butt head at times.

-

that's with my trailer attached. it pulls fine except for up steep hills. but fleck's no lightweight. he's like 1600 lbs! but...yeah..i know...fords kick chevy's butts. can't find my pics of the truck by itself. but yeah.... i have the worst luck with autos...although i will say the prementioned problems weren't LUCk issues. but about a week after i got my truck... i went to get gas. and i was exhausted. another long weekend at work. don't know why i went to get gas. i think it was something silly like mike needed cigarettes or something. i don't know....but anyways, i was really sleepy and as i parked at the pump and put the truck into park, it lurched. i remember thinking darn! must have slipped it into park before i completely stopped. got out, pumped gas, went home. took a nap. well mike wakes me up and says "where'd that big dent come from"!!!!!! i was soooooo mad.....it was a HUGE dent in my rear fender. and i totally realized that that huge lurch wasn't my parking skills... it was some butthead that had hit me. and i remember after that lurch a truck with a flat bed trailer full of equipment drove past me. they must have cut the corner too quick and nailed me. i drove back to the gas station and asked if they had camera's. i was about in tears....argh... poor bart. he got fixed, but...man was i po'd.

anyways.....yeah.. not as many posts as i was expecting. guess everyone had a busy weekend. i ended up working from 5:30pm to 6:30 am friday night. did my first ever cystotomy. very fun! then worked from 2pm to 1 am saturday and 1 pm to 11:30 Sunday. they let me come home early tonight. which is good. after this long exhausting week, i was pooped. i've got to figure out what to do with my saddle. i looked at it again and now it looks perfectly balanced and normal to me. ???? so i don't know if i should ride in it and see if his back is sore after? if i should not ride in it til i can get it checked by someone??? argh... and i'm gonna order some generic adequan and want to give it before the show, but what if fleck gets another lump? I guess i could do it tuesday, but they'd have to overnight the stuff. that way the lump would be gone for sure by friday. argh... oh well. i'll figure it out.

alright, enough rambling i suppose. off to bed so i can get on track for this week.

Though Bart is a chevy, he is pretty.. er handsome? LOL I do love my truck and for my application and driving in Florida with no steep hills, this is perfect for what I need without having to spend a crap load on a brand new vehicle. Of course now with this whole fuel crap going on, you can get a fully loaded truck out the door at the price of the old basic v6 work trucks. So yeh you can get a great deal now.

And I think this isnt AS out of hand as it normally is b/c HC was down for almost 18 hrs yesterday while they upgraded. So we were forced to be quiet! LOL

So......

Nope not even going to try, I'm just too far behind. SO I did catch wind of poor Miss Jenny [Me Cry] I'm sorry Holly [Huggy]

And some new fancy schmancy trucks [Yay]

There's really not much to add here, Lightning is still going on going on. I tried to teach my rabbit Possum to chase a treat ball. It didn't work, he's a sandwich short of a picninc, but in his defence, he's cute. My last bunny learnt the treat ball thing by himself. [Duh] Oh well, they are both different, my last one was lazy and Poss has the attention span of a gnat [Razz] .

Hope everyone has a good Monday, (it's already Monday night here [Frown] , yuck Monday)

[smiley Wavey]

Thanks Holly, we will forgive you for being blonde, but I think I remember something about a Georgia school too, but oh well, I'm going to PA! Yes, I am living in a dorm and I'm pretty excited...old beds, communal showers, and crazy parties!! Just kidding! The best part is that I don't have to cook! I get three meals a day during the week and two on the weekend, so I am good, I can live on captain crunch the other meals...he rocks! Anyway, we are on our way home right now, the plane finally got to the terminal so we are just about ready to get out of PA and go finish the school year (BLAH!!! another twelve weeks of comm coll [Frown] )

Tlak to everyone tomorrow and don't let the monday get you down too much.

shantel: you're right. i forgot that it was down. i just didn't realize it was down that long! yeah, bart is handsome. i don't know...trucks just seem more manly to me. he's like my big brother. he protects me [smile]

lightning: hee hee. possum sounds cute. my sister had a bunny and his only trick was humping a mini basket ball. whoo hoo. hee hee. silly rabbit. and thanks about jenny. poor girl.

vegas; yeah.... oh well. don't know who i was thinking of. somebody though. captain crunch is awesome! he's my favorite! course i made myself buy grape nuts today instead....

well....off to go ride. i've got to get prepped for my horse show this weekend! yay! checked my saddle again and it really doesn't sit quite right, but i'm not sure that any saddle will. he's got high withers and a big ol' fat pad just behind his shoulderblade, but then he's got a bigdip below his withers. so it makes it hard for the dresage saddle to fit. so i tried putting a towel under neath the shoulders and it seemed to help. but it still sits sortacrooked on his back end. argh....not sure what i'm gonna do. there aren't any saddle fitters in the area. i'm hoping that it won't make him sore short term. meaning that if i can get him adjusted by the chiro every other month, maybe the saddle won't be too bad. i'm just not sure what saddle to get for him. anyone have a high withered, depressed behind the shoulder blades, with big shoulder blades horse that you found a dressage saddle to fit?!

Lisa/Kyalii - 2 AM...school... [Eek!] I'd die!! Sounds like both the Science Olympiad and riding were fun!

dobby - sounds like an exciting ride!! Stuff like that always happens to me...like I'll say to my friend "look, Teddy just did an AWESOME flying change", and the next one I do will be the worst I've ever done. Funny how that works...sounds like you and Gayla have really clicked, and all your hard work & patience is really working [smile]

Lauren - Ick, I know...the bugs (flies in particular) are one aspect of summer I don't like...the SUN/warmth, no school and tons of riding are pretty nice though [Wink][big Grin]

Vegas/Megan - Wow, sounds like an awesome college!! Can't wait for pictures.

Shantel - Both the hay and bedding you like are out?! That sucks. My trainer tried out the pellet bedding, can't remember what she thought of it, but the bagged stuff makes life a whole lot easier. I think she switched to getting a large load at once, to help keep costs down though, since she runs a boarding facility (not for much longer though!). I like your truck lots too! I really like Fords, from what I know (which isn't much), they are awesome trucks.

Holly - Yes he is!! Lol. I like your truck too, even if it IS a Chevy, heheh [big Grin] . Jeez, you have been working LONNNGGG hours, you must've been dead tired.

LST - I used to have a bunny...but the next door neighbor's beagles dug a hole under our fence and gave a heart attack so she died [Frown] . Then my other bunny died randomly of an unkown sickness, and my other one got eaten by a fox or coyote...we're not sure. After that we stopped getting bunnies!!

I got my tail bag and Wahl pocket pro today in the mail. The pocket pro is so cute!! Perfect size for touch ups and stuff, and for $11.95 I think it'll be worth it. I have huge Oster body clippers so those will do the trick for body clipping.

I rode the Welsh stallion on Sunday. He was SO FREAKING ADORABLE!! Very fancy, too. He has only been ridden 4 times prior to me riding him, and only once has been off the lunge line. So essentially he's green as grass, but was very well behaved and definitely was trying hard to do what I asked. And for having dogs, cows in the neigboring fields, kids, and other stimulation & distraction going on, he did awesome. He checked things out but no spooking. So my trainer and I were pleased, and the owner liked Patty (my trainer) and I, and liked how I rode, so from now on I am going to ride him twice a week, and with Patty's intruction as much as possible...some days she won't be there due to work. I am really excited, because this is a chance for me to work with a super green, young horse, and a stallion (never ridden one before), and when his training progresses, I will start showing him too. I believe he has 8 mares bred to him, but none have foaled yet. It will neat to see what his offspring look like. This will also allow for my trainer and I to continue working with each other on a regular basis, so I'm really excited about that as well.

This is my last week before Spring Break

[Yay]

[ 04-02-2007, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

Vegas- Glad that you enjoyed Pa!

Shantel- Nice truck....I need to invest into one in the very near future. mmm shoes!! They are the best thing to buy. I love trying them on and walking around. the other day I tried on a pair of Gucci heels. Made my feet look fabulousss...as they should for the price they were asking. course i couldn't afford them but are fun to try on and admire. Woohoo for new clothes! Hope everything works out w/ the saddle. I sometime will have to get my fitted to Scotch.

Holly- I should open mouth and insert foot. Scotch reversed into the bridle thing today...though we didn't know if it was b/c he was sore. ugh. Frusterating for me b/c he has been going so well. And yup I did decorate them Easter style! hehe. Awh that sounds like it would be fun to paint fake eggs. I always liked dying eggs when i was a kid. Man you have a nice truck and trailer...what kind of trailer do you have? slant load? Is he sore in his withers w/ the saddle? It sounds like you'll have to get pad that does everything all around. Are your sure your saddle isn't crooked in the tree? And his jumping saddle fits him well?

LTS- LOL a rabbit called Possum. I had to do a double take to make sure it was a rabbit. cute!

McKenzie- Yay! so glad that the pony stallion worked out for you! Sounds like it will be a great opportunity. You will definately learn a ton working with a green horse. Have you ever broke and/or trainer a greeny? Those pro pockets are wonderful! i got a free pair w/ the medium size clippers I just recently bought.

Had a lesson today. We pushed Scotch out of his comfort zone. And he reversed and went back into the bridle lameness deal. very upsetting and frusterating on my side. Not sure what I'm going to do. Gave him a bute and put linament and wrapped his legs. Then he'll get another gram of bute tom AM. And will see how he is when I go to ride him tom. night. But on a positive note we started haunches in on him got some small steps out of him..but at least he ot the idea a bit. And had super super canter work on him.

Now I really have to get to work on this speech...ugh. i can't wait until my classes are done.

luvs: wow! sounds like it's all gonna work out great! we want pics of the stallion! sounds like fun. i've never worked a greenie before either. not a true greeny. fun fun fun! and a stallion too! what a great compliment from the owner too. yay!

lauren: it's a horton 2 horse straight load. I LOVE it. i sorta wish i had doors on either side instead of the windows. cause that makes the door go into my tackroom which limits my space somewhat, but overall it's a good trailer. it's almost 8 feet tall which is the other reason i love it. fleckers fits just fine in it [smile] and bummer. I shouldn't have said anything. oh well. you guys will get it figured out. maybe it's his way of evading when he's pushed. you said you pushed him past his comfort zone. maybe when he gets comfy at it, it'll go away again????? and...about my saddle... i just don't know. more below! anyways, hope scotch gets better. i won't say anything next time! [Wink]

so....rode today for the first time since the chiro.....not his bestest ever but certainly not bad. we had a good ride. he was very distracted though. it was getting to be dusk and all sorts of things were living in the scary forest waiting to jump out and scare him. we had a few spooks. goober. So with the saddle i put a towel up front sorta like a wither pad, but just behind. think i might need one of those wool fleecy things. and it seemed to help. he wasn't sore after the ride, so...maybe if i just keep him adjusted??? he felt a little looser today. still did the hip drop thing and stumbled a few times, but... i was riding in the pasture. i think no matter how crooked and messed up we both are.... we're just clutzes. theres' no excuse. i'll try to walk through a door, and next thing i know my shoulders' ramming into the door frame. and i'm certainly not a giant person. quite contrary. so....yeah, we're just clutzes. but... he did feel better in some aspects. still wanting to tip the nose out on the left lead canter, but it actually felt really nice when i got him bent inside. but it was wierd...almost like he wasn't all scrunched up so he was all loose and floppy at the canter. almost like he was going left and right at the same time. weird feeling. but we'll see what my trainer thinks on thursday.

so...guess i better go check on my dinner. making spaghetti! that and mac and cheese are the only things i know how to cook. and...sadly no...just noodles from a box, sauce from a box, and tofu crumbles from a bag. so i guess i'm not so much cooking as just heating up and mixing [Wink]

have a good night!

Ahh Baseball! Opening day for the Mariners give me time to catch up!

Boocoo - Sorry to hear about the rain! Our Arena is trashed because of it. =(

Lisa - It was worse cause Ryan was with me! You bet thanks to me! Wasn't getting you hooked on Lost the best thing I've ever done for you?! ;-) CRUISE! Cruse=Adorable! I'm proud of you! You're learning how to have FUN again!

Lauren - EW! Monotone! I HATED Washington State History! It was so boring! I bet PA History is at least a little more intresting. Inky's hay net is existant soley because he wastes now maybe ONE flake (On a bad day) per day rather than 3. How can you LIKE white breeches?! I'm so scared that something's going to happen to mine!

Shelly - My trainer forced me to use Airborne, which shortened my colt+sore throat from several weeks (like her boyfriend had) to one. Better than a poke in the eye... My ribs only tweaked that one day, and haven't bugged me at all since then, so I think I'm good! (Will talk about my freestyle at the end) Haha! I want those stall pickers! Ours is from Medesto, CA, soooo yeah... I keep almot calling Gabe "Gabriel Michael" when he's in trouble, but that would be kinda creepy seeing as the stall picker is Mike... He MIGHT get a little weirded out... just a bit... coughcough. Catch up on Lost! It's SO GOOD! It's never a bad thing to stop while you're ahead. =p

Megan - Where are you going to College? Haha, My problem is that I get migraines ALL The time, espicially when I get no sleep! 5 hours apperently isn't sufficient for my headaches. =( You found dorm beds tall enough for someone 5'9-5'10?! I WANT!

Holly - Haha! It just hit you, did it? I try to show in just full seats... I like 'em better... Suprisingly, I've never shopped at VTO, even though EVERYONE keep refering me to them! I also decided not to show in Low Rides after my first show season (for various reasons). WHAT?! I want $275 per horse for full board where I boarded! We paid $560 per horse per month at Gold Creek for 9x18 stalls, and 2 hours of turn out 5 days a week! And the paddocks weren't much bigger than the stalls! Hope Fleck feels better! You forgot to unhook him?! Sounds like something I'd do! You should give him his injection about 3 days before the show, because then it has just enough time to kick into it's full effects! I vote don't ride in the saddle but consult someone about fit again. The saddle thing sounds kinda like Wes, though I'm not sure about the depressions, but deffinately on the HIgh withers and low back! He uses a new County Competitior semi-custom for him but still with a shim pad with shims in the back... Maybe check out some bump pads and see if they work? Casel is really good, though I know they're based out of here and don't know if they sell other places in the country... It's worth checking out though! If you can't find them I can give you the website of a store that might have them online, if you want.

McKenzie - Aaaand I repeat (as said to Lauren): Ew Monotone! Yeah, having 2 pairs is always good... I get Champange breeches for Lipton! And I so want the EuroFit with the stripe down the leg! ...just not on Inky! I'd look more ginormous than I already do! OH NO! Sounds like Teddy was just bugged by... well... the bugs. You bother online shopping with your mom?! I just order things and tell her afterwards! I love Devonwood so much! It's just a great place to be! And you lose like... 4lbs each show from all the walking. HEE! Just don't use the Pocket Pros on the bridle path or they'll break. =p I'm jealous! Sounds like you're going to have fun with the Stallion.

Shantel - Loving the new haircut and color! AND the glasses!

LST - BUNNIES!

OKAY! Breathe... Now for our update: First off: I started replying to all of you in about the 4th inning, and it's now the top of the 8th. Mariners up 4-0! We might actually win!

The show went pretty good, came home with deffinatly 3 ribbons and I have a slight SLIGHT chance of getting another one in the mail, though it'd be like... 6th... (They only place to 6th and there were 10 in the class, so I'm thinkin not so much). Our first day was really good, we got a 62% and 3rd place on our Training-4 Qualifying ride. ONE PERCENT OFF! But our Saturday Judge (Ali Buchanan) HATED our freestyle! He gave us a 54%, but that's about what we expected, plus or minus a few percent. It wasn't the best ride ever, and I halted ONE measure too early! It was a sit there and fiddle with my reins moment. Ali gave him a 7 on his walk and 6's and 5's for everything else, no 4's (thank god). But our Artistic Impression scores were all 5's and 6's... mostly 5's. True, it wasn't our best ride ever, but I don't think it quite deserved a 54%. He told me that Lyrics were innapropriate in a Freestyle, which isn't entirely true, but whatever. Day two was better...kinda. Our freestyle didn't run quite as smooth technically, but I was more with the music, which always helps! I think our music is a total girl thing, because our Sunday judge (Anne Applebee) LOVED it! She gave us a 60% for a ride that was better in some places, worse in others than our Saturday ride, and we were expecting about a 56%. She said she liked our music but that it didn't quite fit the horse (which we knew already). More 7's overall, and a better Artistic score. Our First-4 Qualifying wasn't as fortunate. We got a 56%. Ouch. Though, it was terrible, and he wasn't on the bit the whole time because he was busy looking at things in the asile way through the doors. That's the only thing I don't like about Devonwood, is that the boarders don't tend to care if there's a show going on or not, they make loads of noise. One horse was getting shoes durring one of my rides! I don't expect them to halt everything for a horse show, but it would be nice if they were a little more considerate! Oh well.

Gabe grew the beginings of his top incisors while we were gone, and he's learned that grabbing sweatshirts and jackets is fun! -facepalm- He's getting better about the rearing thing though, which is good.

Lipton was moved to a holding barn, which pretty much gaurentees that he'll be on a plane in the next week. So I think we're getting close!

No other ponie news... Lots of personal life stuff, but nothing that you guys would be intrested in. [Razz] Although, I will say, that while we were in Oregon, we ate at this one resturaunt, and I had Dungeness Crab Mac-N-Cheese! SO YUMMY! We ordered Dessert to go, and I have yet to eat mine... I'm waiting for the right time!

M's update: Still winning, top of the 9th, 2 outs. I think we're gonna win... Also, who names their Child Joseph Jason Putz?

Krazy, you are right. If we all got together in the same room, nobody would get a word in edgewise, between horses and trucks!! LOL! Nice truck you have, btw!!

3day, when you get it in the mail, you get it in the mail. No hurry. And thanks for the compliments on my truck.

Flecken, you also have a nice looking rig there. You should be proud of it. Hey, it gets the job done, right? I do prefer the V10 to the diesel. Reason being, the V10 has just as much horse power and it is much cheaper to repair, parts and labor, when the warranty runs out. Diesels are nice too though, don't get me wrong, but after having had both, we tend to stick with the V10 and it's my truck, not hubby's. He has a GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, crew cab. Very nice truck and we drive it for a family truck as it gets a lot better gas mileage than mine. But when people ask me what kind of mileage I get on my truck I say, "hey, I didn't buy it for it's great gas mileage, I bought it to pull a load." And that it can definitely do!!! I loff it!! What was the deal on the full seats? I missed that somewhere? I have gotten to where that's all I really like to ride in anymore With all this sitting trot work, those knee patches are too slippery! [big Grin] As for the saddle, sounds like you need to have Fleck fitted for a dressage saddle that really fits him. Otherwise you will end up with problems further down the road. I went through this very thing last year. Beau is high withered and very broad shouldered. Nothing fit him. My saddle was a Collegiate with the gullet system. Didn't matter what gullet I put in it, or how I padded him up or down. that saddle flat out did not fit anymore. I tried several new saddles and few used ones. Finally took him and had him custom fit for an Albion Ultima SLK. Yes, I know they are pricey and not everyone wants to afford that. You can find decent used saddles of various brands and very decent prices and have them flocked to fit. Some of them will have trees that can be adjusted also. I would really encourage you to look into your options to prevent a lot of heart ache later on down the road. You should not be having to have your horse adjusted all the time. I know it is a major bummer, but a new saddle isn't all bad!! [Wink]

Oh hey, I finally got to wear my new Mtn. Horse Classic Dress boots to ride in today. I love them They fit nice and snug, keep my leg real steady and I can really feel my calf on my horse. I love that they are comfy from the get go!! And nice looking too. I like the Sportive's too, but these fit more snug and are more show ring worthy. I am going to keep my Sportives for my everyday riding boots and these for showing in.

Luv, how ya doing? How's it going with selling Alibi? You are on the countdown now, till you move to the new barn. The stallion sounds very nice.

Spot, sounds like you had a very good show and you are getting close to getting that new horse home!!

I finally got to ride yesterday and today. Had a couple of very nice rides. No trouble with the canter departs, came across the diagnol and change of lead through trot was fine, as well as trotting from x to k and picking up left lead canter. We also counter cantered both directions!! Woo hoo. First time for that. Took a little work, but we got it. He was so supple after that. Think I need to do a bit of that at trot and canter for my warm up. He is also happy, cause their pastures were finally opened back up after all this rain. Course had to clean 4 inches of mud out of each foot, but it wasn't shoe sucking off kind of mud, so no big deal. He loves being out.

Ok, I have written a book . Going to bed now. Nighty night!!

[ 04-02-2007, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Holly, my high-withered, broad shouldered horse was a pain in the posterier to find a decent fitting saddles. Our close contact saddle is custom to both of us. The dressage saddle I *finally* found to fit him is a no-name ebay special from Green Mountain tack. Go figure. All the decent saddles with names I recognized were either too narrow across the shoulders or sitting down on the withers. And since my budget didn't have *room* for another custom saddle, I was glad to find a cheap saddle that works for us. I figure that if it lasts through law school, I'll be good. I can spring for a nicer saddle once I have a regular income again. [smile]

On the horsie front, I spent a fair bit of time this afternoon trying to convince Fessor that I know darn well that he's not deaf. On the lunge, he was blowing off the downward transitions. La la la la la, I can't hear you. lol. So we spent a lot longer than I liked with Fess on the lunge line until he sort of pretended to listen and reluctantly offered a slight improvement. Then I only rode for about five minutes, until he offered up downward transitions as soon as I asked for them. Silly pony! What can I say? It's spring. [big Grin] Tomorrow we'll start under saddle and hopefully actually have a decent length ride. But I decided to cut this evening's ride short when Fessor decided to let me be in charge. That was the one thing he needed to offer up, and he did.

Tracy

Boo, what size calf do you have? I have the sportives, the basic schooling boot and I love them plus they stretch to fit my calf (17.5"). The only thing is that they fell A LOT and are too short. The range for a size 10 is only up to 17" on the new dress boot. Do they stretch more than they say? Trying to decide between the new dress boots from MH or a semi custom pair of konigs.

Nothing to update really tonight. Went to class. Took some tests and worked on my project. Cleaned stalls and emptied all the left over supplements out of the Smartpaks into buckets to use since we dont use the Smartpaks anymore. Thats about it.

Have a good night.. well I guess you guys already are! HA

Lipton is on a plane to LA tomorow! GAURENTEED! FINALLY! I forgot to mention eairler that I found the perfect warmup routiene for Inky, so, I think we're gonna do good this season... The proofs from the show are here. Just find "JAS Robins Ink Spot". When it asks for password, type "inkspot2" (nix the quotes). I'm not very happy with them, espicially since we had to pay a $20 shooting fee. There really aren't any good ones. [Frown] I don't think it has anything to do with us or the arena, I think it was mostly the timing of the photographer... I like Scarletts methods better, where she clicks and holds. Mary clicks in stride with the horse, so if she's on the downstride, she's always on the downstride. Excuse the fact that my reins appear too long half the time, I think those were from my last ride where we just didn't have it. Also, particially excuse my EQ due to the 3 weeks off, 4 rides, and then 2 days of showing. My EQ was pretty good the first day and rather terrible the second. Oh well. That's life. Try to Enjoy the proofs anyways. =)

emily: congrats on the show. sounds like it went well even if you didn't get all higher scores! i bet some of it is based on whether the judge likes that kind of music. some judges are so traditional. but glad it was fun. and that's soooo fleck with being all distracted with whats' going on outside of the arena. argh.... oh well. sounds like he was good otherwise. i'll definately try out some pads. i rode a quick ride today and it didn't seem to bother him, but....i just don't have a saddle fitter anywhere near me. i'll check tomorrow with some people though. i know one or two people come in occasionally. and i'm gonna try some pads too. so we'll see. yay about lipton getting closer. that's crazy it's taking so long. and i want more baby pics! hee hee. soooo cute. okay, sorry! just got to the show pics! WOW! he looks good. crazy woman you guys look great. and i LOVE that first canter pic! very pretty. and your browband is purty. but yeah, a $20 fee just to have them taken?? that's wild! and....DID YOU ROACH HIS MANE!!!!! yay for roached manes! thats' awesome. i'm debating whether to try to learn how to braid, or just roach fleckers again. i ride dressage at like 9:16 so braiding must be done the night before. so...probably gonna roach. inky looks cute like that! and YAHOO that lipton's on a plane...is he going to louisianna? now...where are you at again?

boocoo: hee hee. good point about not buying it for the gas mileage. my hubby has a mazda 6 that i drive when he isn't using it and i don't need the truck. my friend has a hybrid car and we went out of state to volunteer at a horse show...it was take my truck which gets 14 miles per gallon or her hybrid which gets 45 or something crazy like that mpg. ummm DUH! but yeah.. i'll keep that in mind about the V10's vs the diesel. i just like the way the diesels sounds. all manly and tough! hee hee. glad you like your boots. yay! i'm still undecided what to do with my saddle. it's just so wierd that the wintec pro jump fits him great but the wintec pro dressage doesn't. it just doesn't make sense. he didn't seem sore at all today after our ride. i'll check him again tomorrow. but i'm gonna ask around and see if there are any saddle fitters in the area. you'd think that it would have created worse problems if it's really that bad of an issue, because my trainer rode in her wintecs (dresage and jump) with him before i got him, and i've been riding in those two saddles for 2.5 years. so you'd think i'd really notice is something was majorly off. the whole adjustment thing is likely not related to his saddle as she had to adjust his neck, his jaw, his back, his ribs, his pelvis, and his pastern. i suppose you could make an argument for it, but honestly, he's kinda awkward and gangly. so....i'll have her come out again in a month or two and see how much better/worse he is. and in the meantime be working on checking his saddle. maybe i can find a pad to help. although i know that's not really fixing the problem. yay for good rides and counter canters! and getting to be turned out again.

tracyA: thanks for the help. i'll check them out and see. part of it is that i LOVE my brown dressage saddle. i worked soooo hard to find brown dressage tack that fit his big ol' head, so it's going to break my heart to have to go back to black. although... i would do it if it meant he was comfier. but i just need to get a pro out and tell me for sure. none of this guessing stuff. just gotta find one first. but i'll check out ebay too just in case. oooooh, spring time. good for you for ending on a good note. it's hard not to keep going and fight it. hopefully that'll be the end of the spring fever attitude. fleck was a bit spooky today too.

shantel: how come you don't use the smartpaks? just cause you are at home now? i've heard nothing but good stuff, but since i feed my guys it's just as easy to open a bucket and scoop what i need than to open the smartpaks. i didn't like them cause of the whole waste of plastic etc. i'm a tree hugger. but then i saw that they are actually recyled so.... but just curious.

alright...well, guess i better get to bed. it's not that late for me. but..... still gotta shower and do one more load of laundry and get up for my lesson tomorrow. fleck gets to try out his new navy eskie boots [smile] yay. gotta make sure they won't slip during XC!

Holly – With haunches-in if he is “crumpling” in one direction, ask yourself if you are pulling that inside rein!!! Haunches-in is all about the outside rein. Just like all the rest of your lateral work, you can’t pull that inside rein or you lose it. The inside rein is for flexion and suppleing reasons only. Bend comes from seat and leg. Shoulder control comes from outside rein. GET A HEAD BUMPER!!! I’ve seen some really bad, horse crippling accidents for lack of a head bumper. You can get a little snap on strap so you don’t have to thread the blasted thing through the halter every time. That’s what I do. Then it just takes 30 seconds to pop it on his head and clip it to the halter rings. So easy. Yes, you also need to get some shipping boots, but I’m more concerned with the head bumper. You can LOSE Fleck with one toss of the head. You’re a vet, you should know how sensitive that poll area is. All it takes is one solid bump, and they can do serious, permanent neurological damage, or worse, just drop dead on you. My Toyota Camry, which is my everyday car since Jack gets the truck, has a sunroof. Love it!!! Chevy isn’t a bad truck. Jack went back and forth between Chevy and Ford. Both nice trucks. Ford is just a better work truck. HOLY COW, Fleck is a chunky monkey!!! My 17.2hh TB only weighed in at about 1300lbs at his all time FATTEST. Usually only 1250lbs. I’ve never taped Raz for weight, but I just can’t imagine him coming anywhere close to 1600lbs. Nice truck and trailer!! I would love to get a gooseneck, but we just don’t do enough hauling to warrant the expense of a gooseneck hitch. If you can’t give the shot at least 3-4 days beforehand, I would hold off on starting the Adequan until after the show. No sense making his neck stiff right before a show. It won’t make or break you at the show to have given the shot, but a stiff neck will sure make it A LOT harder. How frustrating with the saddle. Hope you get that sorted out. Definitely have someone check the tree out to make sure it is okay. As for the “going left and right” at the same time at the canter – neat feeling, isn’t it?? You should feel that though because you need BOTH hind legs to push up through not just the inside hind. If he drops one hip or the other, you have lost that hind leg. If you get BOTH hind legs to push up into the contact, you should feel even pressure in both reins like both sides are coming up under you. A much more even feeling so that you COULD counter canter or true canter or anything, doesn’t matter which direction you turn, the horse is pushing evenly from both hindlegs. I use Smartpak, but I board, so the barn prefers Smartpak. Personally I prefer the Smartpak as well because then *I* don’t have to think about his supplements EVER. It is automatic. It is always there in full supply. They never run out. Always perfectly measured. I don’t have to worry about running to the tack store or ordering on line or whether the store will have what I need in stock, etc. Just soooo much easier when I never have to even think about Raz’s supplements. And since I am at a big boarding barn, Smartpak sends ALL the boarder’s supplements at the same time, and gives us each a break on shipping costs.

Megan – Glad to hear you like the town and the college campus. That is always a good thing. Sorry to hear the trip with your mother wasn’t as pleasant as it could be. Hopefully once you are out of the house and further away from your mother, your relationship with her will improve!!!!

McKenzie – I have so many layers in my hair that it is ridiculous. If I didn’t though, I wouldn’t be able to control it. My hair is naturally curly, but I like to wear it straight:

-

Soooooo – layers it is!!!! When I put it up, yes, there are definitely little wispy pieces that don’t even come close to reaching to fit into the bun; however, a hairnet takes care of all the wispy pieces and holds everything in place. If I am careful, I can brush the little strands up under my helmet, and put my helmet on, and it will keep everything up under, but I have had stray pieces fall out from under my helmet when I have been in a hurry and not gotten all the little pieces pushed up carefully, so a hairnet is the most reliable method to make sure no little pieces fall out. They sell them really cheap at any drug store. Very, very simple to just pull it on and then twist it over the bun to hold it in place. Once your helmet is on, you can’t even see it, and no hair will be moving!!!! For everyday riding, I just pull it back in a ponytail, and brush the little wispy pieces up under my helmet. Since I’m rarely in a hurry for schooling/lessons, I generally get it right, and don’t have a problem with trailing tendrils of hair!!! Wooo-hoooo!!!! Fabulous news about the Welsh Stallion!!! He is super cute. Love him to pieces. I’m so excited for you – not only for the opportunity to ride this really nice looking guy, but also to ensure that you will continue to get to work with Patty. I’m sure that is a huge relief to you. I know it isn’t with Teddy, but I’m sure you have the same close friendship with Patty that I have with Julie, and you don’t want to lose that. I’m so happy for you. I know that sinking feeling that had to have washed over you a few weeks ago when you first found out your barn was closing, and now things seem to all be working out. Maybe not exactly the way you wanted, but working out in a fashion. That has to be a huge relief for you. Now if you could just find the perfect home for Alibi, you would be set!!!!

Boocoo – Our truck is a gas not diesel. Jack really wanted a diesel, but ended up with gas in the end. It was a big debate for him gas vs. diesel. I had to call Jack to ask him, because I honestly just didn’t know, but apparently our truck is a Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 5.4 V8. I know the cab size has nothing to do with engine size, but when Jack started throwing numbers out at me, I just blanked it all out. When Jack was in Syria, he drove 18 wheelers and large army trucks. When he came here, he got licensed to drive 18 wheelers though never did it for a living, so he is very familiar with trucks and hauling. So when it came time to buy a new truck, for plowing and hauling the horse, I just stayed well out of the decision. Jack knows WAY MORE about it than I can ever hope to know. Jack said he opted for the V8 over the V10 because the maintenance was lower and the gas was lower – he uses the truck as his daily vehicle. Since we are only planning on hauling one horse (on rare occasions we MAY take a second horse along for the ride), there was just no need for more power and torque than the V8, so he couldn’t justify the added cost, maintenance and gas the V10 would require – those were his direct words!!! All I know about our truck is that when Jack takes me to the bus in the morning, it is a real pain to get into in a tight skirt!!! [ROTFL] Love your truck!!! I’m with you, Boocoo – I don’t even OWN a pair of knee patch breeches anymore. So glad to hear that the rain has let up enough that you get to ride at long last!!!! Sounds like Beau is really getting the hang of counter canter.

Emily – Yes, Airborne and Zicam are competing brand names that have very similar products. Glad to hear your trainer got you to use Airborne. It works. Definitely shortens the cold. SOOOOO glad to hear the ribs are better. That is great news. I was worried they hadn’t healed totally, and you were going to have to stop riding again. That would have really been awful. I would share our stall pickers since we have about a half a dozen or so (40 stall barn TOTALLY FULL right now so we need lots of stall pickers), but I’m greedy!!! I LOVE our stall pickers. They take such amazing care of our horses. They not only do the stalls, but handle all blanket changes, boots, wraps, fly spray, masks and turnout. These guys might not be able to speak any English, but they can spot a cut on a horse the size of a pin ***** and bring it to Julie’s attention (she is the barn manager). I give them a lot of credit. They never miss anything out of the ordinary on those horses. They point everything out to Julie from lost shoes to teeny tiny scrapes to OMG HUGE gashes. And in mud season (like NOW), they even hose off every little hoof before returning the horses to their stalls from turnout so that when we come to ride our horses are not muddy. How sweet is that?!?!?! These guys are truly the best. Yeah, I’m behind yet AGAIN on Lost. ARRRGGHHH!!! 2 weeks behind now. So that means tomorrow night will make me 3 weeks behind because I ride tonight, so there is no way I can catch up before tomorrow’s episode. I am so bad. I think we NEED to hear the story about why you don’t show in low rise breeches anymore!!! HA!!!! Okay, considering the HUGE amount of time off YOU have had recently, really not a bad show. I know those probably weren’t the scores/comments you were hoping for – though that second score for your Freestyle was much improved over your first, just chalk it up to a lot of time out of the saddle for you. I give you a lot of credit of just attempting it. Given the comments you got on your Freestyle at the show with regards to they Lyrics and the music not really fitting Inky, are you going to revamp the Freestyle, or continue on with it for the season??? I don’t see too much of an issue with the lyrics though you might catch flack for it from judges here and there, but since you agree with the music not being right for Inky, that definitely is something you may want to consider addressing to try to get bigger scores. Great news about Lipton coming tomorrow!!!!! That is soooo exciting!!! Okay, as for the pictures, yes, you definitely are out of shape. 4 rides back just wasn’t enough to get you where you needed to be in your core strength to be able to ride him effectively, and that is what I see in your pics. They aren’t bad at all. There are actually several canter ones in there that I would order. I really like them. They do show though how out of shape you were. You just didn’t/couldn’t hold your seat nice and deep. Inky got you pulled forward off your seat bones and into a hand ride because you weren’t at the top of your game. No worries. He won’t get that chance in a show again because you are back and building yourself back up, so hopefully Inky enjoyed it while it lasted!!!! LOVE the browband!!!! Great bling!!! Perfect color on Inky!!!

Lisa/Kyalii – How was the Science Olympiad?? Sounds like you and Hattan have been having some great rides – jumping and hand galloping. Well done!!

Dobby – Wow, sounds like Spectrum really is full of Spring Fever!! Glad to hear you have in well in hand despite his antics though. Gayla sounds like she is going well. Yes, your canter won’t improve unless you work on it. Be careful though. The canter is different from the trot. You can’t just canter endlessly hoping for it to improve. The canter is only as good as the initial transition, so really what you need to work on is TONS AND TONS of trot/canter transitions. Get a really nice transition into the canter, and ONLY stay in canter as long as the canter is good. Transition back to trot BEFORE the canter starts to go icky. That is the tricky part. Keep working those transitions and even if you only stay in canter for a couple of strides before you have to transition back to trot, that’s fine. Gather her back up to a nice trot, and try again. Keep building up her strength, and her canter will keep improving. GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us posted!!!

Lauren – Glad to hear Scotch was going so well before he reverted. Try not to get too frustrated over the reversion. Things like this happen, especially when you push them out of their comfort zone. I doubt it was pain, could have been, but probably not. Probably more of his “comfortable evasion”. You pushed a little too much, and he “mentally” freaked and reverted to what he is comfortable with. Try to remember where he freaked and reverted. How much had you pushed him?? Next time try to push him just under that, then stop before he reverts. Build upon that slowly. You have to try to find his mental breaking point, and brush up against it without crossing over it. Really hard to do, and you are going to mess up from time to time. That is part of “figuring Scotch out”, but eventually you and Audrey will learn what his pressure points are and how to manipulate around them. I had to do the same with Raz. It is trial by error. So deep breath. Tomorrow is another day. Try again. Training Level isn’t a bad place to start with him, but I don’t think you will be there too long with him. Bet you bump him up to 1st sooner rather than later. Mmmmmm . . . frosted sugar cookies. One of my favorites, but yes, they takes AGES to make and decorate. Now stop procrastinating and go finish that speech!!!

Shantel – The sound of us CHATTING away in person together?? It would be like the din coming from the crowd at a rock concert!!! [ROTFL] Sounds like Layla is really filling out a lot to already need an adjustment, but I’m sure the saddle is also settling since it was new. Hopefully you get it sorted out quick. Nice truck!!!

Lisa/LST – Poor Possum!!! Hey, cute makes up for a lot of lacking in the talent department. I have a “special needs” kitty. He was very clever as a kitten, then got very sick, and is now deaf and half blind, so we call him the special needs kitty of the group. You can play with him, but you have to play VERY SLOWLY, or he loses track of the toy!!! He’s very cute, just slow and can’t track the toy well – tips over easily too. His balance isn’t so great!!! Deafness has a way of doing that to a cat. He is super cute though, so he tends to be everyone’s favorite kitty.

I had a great lesson on Sunday with Julie. It was a ME lesson. Hate those. Just kidding. She just works me soooo hard. She decided to focus on my legs and getting equal weight in my toes and heels and perfectly soft non-gripping legs. I tend to just grip ever so slightly in the transitions, and it makes a huge difference when I stay 100% soft and relaxed. So that was the lesson for the day. Hard stuff, especially when we worked on the transitions between collected and medium trot. I so love to try to grip during those transitions. Worked on a bunch of right half pass at the trot and canter as well since to the right is our hard direction.

Razzle has started “dancing” with his hind legs – swapping off which leg he rests too frequently - which means he is out somewhere most likely his SI and is having trouble getting comfortable so I’ve signed him up for the next chiro visit with Liz which is in a week or two. I think I’ll also sign him up for a massage with Sal. Raz has a busy month coming up. Lessons with Julie the next two weekends. Then a clinic with Barend on 4/21. A clinic with Anne Guptill on 4/29. Our first show of the season on 5/6. So three really busy weekends in a row. YIKES!!! Julie agreed that I sign up for 2-1 and 2-2, and I’ll sign Gabrielle up for T-4. Not sure if Gabrielle will be ready to show or not. We’ll have to see, but it is just a schooling show and on $25 to enter her, so no biggy if I have to scratch her at the last minute. If she does show, I may scratch from 2-2. Depends on the times and how in shape Raz is to handle three tests in one day. Have to play that by ear. I generally won’t let him do more than 2 in a day, but if the T-4 test is early enough, and my two tests are late enough and close together, he should be okay. Just have to see how that works out.

Finally spent my $300 gift certificate at Dover. Got some plaid schooling breeches, some new white show breeches, a Derby for showing, a braided leather lead for showing, and a rain sheet for showing. Not sure I will keep the breeches though. Not sure I will actually like them quality wise. Have to wait and see. I hope the Derby will be small enough. Ordered the smallest size it came in, but still not sure. I will still have to take it in to have a strap installed in it. Hope I can have that done prior to my 5/6 show. If not, perhaps some extra padding to make it really tight?? Don’t know yet. Have to see when it comes, and how long it will take to have the strap installed.

~Shelly~

shelly: i bet i am pulling that rein. i still find myself doing it in our leg yields too. it's sooo hard cause he just begs me to hold that right rein and in turn i just beg him to keep holding it. i need to just take that rein off and ride one day. completely one rein-ed. [Jump] that would be fuN! hee hee. but wait....let me think for a minute... so it's normally that right rein that he holds. and our half-passes to the left are the problem. not that the ones to the right are great, but the concept it atleast there. but yeah to the left he tends to just turn to the left. i can't keep him pressed up against my left leg enough to keep him from turning left. or perhaps i'm not holding enough outside rein too. though you'd think that with that being his right rein....but maybe i'm overcompensating...holding when i shouldn't and not when i should. argh... we'll work on it again on my lesson on thursday and see. [smile] so i know, i know...he needs a head bumper. they even make pretty navy ones! where do you find the straps for them? that's a great idea. and i've got shipping wraps which i do for long hauls, but for short hauls i get lazy and he goes naked. wierd.... i just heard a train (no train tracks near me) and a chicken all in two minutes! hee hee. the neighbors got chickens, but where the heck did the train come from??? hee hee. fleck is a chunk! did you see this pic of him? this is probably when he weighed in at 1600lbs. that was on the scale at the vet school!! but i bet he's closer to 1300 now. i told you he's a cadillac! this pic is from when i first got him. i thought the light blue was a good color, but we quickly nixed that.

-

yeah. it was a cool feeling. nice to have him limber too and not all tensed up. so yah! oh, and good news. there is a saddle fitter coming on sunday. so hopefully since i jump early on sunday, i can get back to my area before the guy leaves. i heard he's great, so hopefully he'll get us squared away! so cross your fingers. great pic of the family! woooo! raz and you have a busy next few weeks. sounds like a blast though. i bet raz will feel better once he gets his massage. fleck sure seems to be feeling better. have a great time at the clinics and the shows. i'd love to see some more pics! and yay for shopping sprees! sounds like you got some good stuff. whoo hoo.

so... just got back from my cross country lesson. LOVE my eskadron boots. they looked sharp on fleck. atleast til we got them all goopy in the water mud pit. [smile] But it was great! he was sooooo good for me today. he was a bit goofy and full of himself and did the porpoise a few times. but nothing that wasn't just good fun. well....mostly. [Wink] so we did some warm up jumps and he jumped the training stuff so nice. Then we did the ditch. we started with the baby one but he didn't flinch. i think he looks down at it and i follow him and look down and then he stops cause i'm pushing him onto his forehand. so i just looked up and away and thought "get left behind, get left behind" and it was fine. we even did their training one. so it was fine. it's obvious that I'M the son of a ditch not him. so it was great. then we did the water with drop in and jump outs and it was great. he used to launch off into the water and i wasn't able to figure out how to ride it so i'd slam on his back and lose my reins and it was icky. but we've figured it out. and i don't know if it's the chiro adjustment, just time, or what, but he jumped it normally and didn't send me flying and i knew he was going over instead of stopping so i wasn't caught off guard. so it was great. then we did the bank (no water) and it was fine. we cantered up to it after a few times and i don't know what happened. he was looking at some horses that had just came out into the field and i thought i got his attention back, and i think i panicked cause it looked like he might take a long stride or something. trainer says i did it fine, but i think i might have jumped up his neck some. but he jumped it like it was a good 2 feet higher and totally jumped me out of the tack. then he did his I'm so cool buck and i knew i didn't have a chance from the get go, so i bailed. hit the ground after a nice long whhhhhheeeee moment in the air. it was sorta funny actually. it didn't even scare me. cause usually when i fall if i cry it's cause it was more scary than painful. but it was fine. i just got up and got back on. then we walked it, trotted it, and then i cantered it again and he was fine, and i was fine. so we quit with that. a fun day! he was totally jumping awesome! the trainer said that i have ridden way worse bucks than that, but since he was being so good she thinks it surprised me. i'm just glad we didn't freak each other out and i didn't injure myself [smile]

so yay! feeling pretty good about this weekend, but definately will get nervous once i get there. and i don't have any friends going with me to talk me out of it, but.... i'm hoping it won't be too nerve racking since i was just there not too long ago. they tend not to change their course too much since there isn't much changing to be done. so.... i think i'll be okay! but it's gonna get cold again. i'm sleeping in the trailer. and it's not a living quarters. just on my raft in my gooseneck. no heat. and it's gonna be cold! well...cold for me. 35. hee hee. i know shut up! it's COLD for me [smile] but i think i'll be fine with lots of blankets. and then i don't have to worry about fleck sleeping in his poop without a blanket or being too hot with his blanket on. course it won't stop him from using his poop as a pillow, but... oh well.

i've gotta dye his tail one color and i'm thinking i'll just roach his mane again.

sorry that was so long! but the hubby is busy working so....

Holly, I dont use the Smartpaks anymore b/c 1) yes Im at home and I dont really NEED them. And 2) I can get my supplements cheaper by buying them in the tubs. Smartpaks had my joint supplement at $75 for an 80 day supply. I got the same exact stuff and size at SLT for $40 for an 80 day supply.

Shelly, wow! I love your hair and the color. Is it natural? Very pretty! And good job on the lessons! Ive got to call and get the saddle adjusted... grr. Im just worried about widening it and still having wither clearance. We'll see.

Fleck, whoa. I didnt realize he was such a tubby tub! I wanna see some XC pics! [smile]

As for me, I just got in from riding. Whew its hot. 85+. Layla was really good. I decide to ride in the field around the ring to break it up for her. She was happy with that. Really nice trot work and we did quite a bit of cantering today. After she stopping thinking so much and just relaxed, I was getting this really forward into my hands canter, without her feeling like she was running away. And when she gets like that, shes using her back, so I had somewhere to sit, so it was very nice. We worked hard for about 35 mins then walked around the house and up and down the street. Im getting a lovely farmers tan from my shoulders to my wrists. [Roll Eyes]

Today in class we are learning CPR. So that will be interesting. This weekend is the Regionals show here in Jax. So Sarah and I will be going to watch our trainer and the other ladies we lesson with. I def plan on going to the next show.

Still waiting for Layla to come into heat...

Wel its 5pm. Gotta head to class. Bye guys!

Holly - Thanks! I am excited. I don't have permission to post pics, so I will email you the link to the website [smile] . I hope you are able to sort out your saddle fitting issues, those are always a bummer!

Emily - Sounds like it was overall a good show. I've never done a freestyle, but it seems like the particlar judge can and would make an impact on the score you recieve...I really like Anne Appleby though, she's a very nice person! And YAY, Lipton is FINALLY coming!!!!!

Booocoo - No luck on selling Alibi, and no respones from people I've emailed regarding wanted ads, I really want to find her a good home SOON. I've been riding in Field boots, so I am thinking of switching to dress boots and saving my current tall boots for schooling. I'll have to check out those Mountain horse ones. Sounds like Beau is really doing well for you!

Tracy - Ahhh, we have thos days too. Sometimes I swear Teddy is not listening to ANYTHING I'm saying. Thank God those are rare rides!!

Shantel - I imagine SmartPaks weren't worth the extra price, since you have Layla at home.

Shelly - LOVE your hair, it's gorgeous!! I think I am going to go for layers, I really like them. I will have to get some hair nets too. And yes, I am very happy to be able to continue my frienship with Patty, even though she won't be instructing Teddy and I. I am hoping this Stallion thing will open some doors and create more opportunities as well. Jeez, that will be a busy 3 weeks there!! I think Teddy would benefit from a massage and adjustment right now too.

Gotta go finish HW and get ready!

Holly - Oh dear... You never cease to make me laugh! For me, LA is Los Angeles, so he'll be trucked from Los Angeles to Shur'tugal (the farm). Yeah, freestyles are about half judges opinion. I'll give the link to more baby pics at the bottom! Some of the canter pics are nice, but I have SO MANY! I want more trot pics goshdarnit! I love our browband! It was custom beaded for him, and my whip matches! It was his christmas present one year. [Wink] We actually don't roach his mane, we just trim it so it looks nice standing up straight! I love it! I refused to let Emma roach it, so we did that instead and it works REALLY well for him! I vote you learn how to braid! It's a good skill to have, and if you ever want to go to a show and just hang out, when you get good enough, you can braid for money like me! [Razz] Good to hear you had fun Cross Country!

Shelly - If any of your stall pickers randomly disapear... I probably have them in my closet! We had one where I used to board who was SO GOOD! When Rory got out and went "trick-or-treating" up and down the asile way with everyone supplements, it was Sergio who called all the owners of the horses whose supp. he ate, as well as Sergio who called Emma (trainer) and Tracy (then owner)! And he spoke ENGLISH! But he was dumb and got himself pulled over and deported... again. [Duh] No more Sergio. Yeah, I'm really proud of how we did at the show, but I think the best part was that by my last ride I wasn't picking on him because I was tired. I was tired alright, but I wasn't getting frustrated! That's a HUGE step for us! We're not showing at all in April, so I'm taking the month to revamp my music. Our choreogrophy is really good (our local queen of freetyles really liked it), so we're gonna try to cut music to match the choreogrophy. Inky's good at pulling me forward! Espicially in our lengenthen to working canter transitions! He just grabs the bit and pulls! Douche. Inky's browband was custom beaded for him (I picked it though), and it matches the whip that we got with it! I love it, it's amazing! I origionally wanted a different pattern but it didn't work with the purple, so we decided on this! Busy month for Raz! IMO if you scratch one of the second level tests, scratch 2-1, though, I don't know how Raz does with the tests. 2-1 is just so awkward! I hate the canter serpentene with no change of lead! That right there will keep me from ever showing Inky in that test. Haha, I have a funny story about padding a hat to make it fit, but I don't have time to type it, so I'll do that later. My not wearing low rise anything to show can be summed up in one picture, but my photobucket isn't connecting, so I'll do that later too. [Razz]

McKenzie - Freestyles are SO FUN! Next year I think I'm gonna do the EI Karen Robinson Freestyle Clinic. I can't wait to do one on Lipton!

I'm gonna do this quick cause I have to leave to go to my 4H meeting. Inky got today off, Haven't heard anything on Lipton, I worked Xander last night and he was good, Gabe got a come-to-jesus meeting about biting people when he bit the middle of the underside of my left arm. Left a welt and a small bruise and some red where he skinned me... Freako. Rode Javier (Resident Andalusian #2) for Emma after she sprained her ankle silpping on the mud at the horse Park! He was really good, I love riding him, he's not EASY, but he doesn't take a lot of thinking. He's learning about Contact, so I just set my hands and tried not to let him pull me forward, and I spent the whole time talking to Emma (we were int he roundpenishthing, so not a lot of steering required), and he dosen't make me tired! He spooked once, but I never felt unsafe because he keeps you so balanced!

Off to 4H, then homework! ...Joy... Or you know... not.

On the truck thing, I have had V8's, V10's and diesels. The V10 is no more expensive to maintain than the V8, but a lot less expensive than the diesel. We had to put a radiator in my last V10, it was $400.00. In the diesel it would have been $1200.00. The V10 does not get as good of gas mileage as the V8. The V8 definitely wins out in that dept. but like I said before, I pull a 3 horse slant, extra tall, wide, and long steel trailer, so I love the horse power the V10 gives me to pull it. Especially when we lived in AZ & CA, where there are lots of steep grades and Mtns. It is a 6.8 liter engine. The diesel was 7.2, so not much difference. The V10 has just as good of torque and better gear ratio than the diesel had. In fact, suprisingly, the gas engines seem to have better rear end gears than the diesels. But the diesels is a cooler running engine, and has lower torque all around, however, Flecken, diesels sound cool and manly, yes, but when the warranty runs out on them, they are very expensive for parts and labor. After driving 18 wheelers for 15 years, I am fine without it!! I think that's why my hearing is shot! LOL! [big Grin] Plus an oil change, this is with my hubby doing it, in the diesel is around $80 to $100. In my V10, it's around $30.00. Huge difference there!! My hubby's truck is a V8, so we drive that one around for our family vehicle and on long trips and such, as long as we are not pulling the horse trailer. Plus his is a 1/2 ton, so that helps a lot with the gas mileage! My truck is my every day vehicle, but I don't live far from anything out here. 1.5 miles to work, 5 miles to the barn and town is about 3 miles away. So everything is close. Don't think I'd really care anyway, ain't no way I'd ever give up my truck!! I have driven trucks for many, many years now!! [big Grin] Yep, I'm old!!

Krazy, the new Mtn. horse boots are to die for. They are very dressy looking, not at all clunky. I have the Sportive's in a wide calf and got the dress ones in a regular calf. The wide would have been to wide. They tend to run a tad bigger and have that elastic gusset in them to help them fit better. They fit really nice and I have ridden in them twice now and really like them a lot.

hee hee. it's so much easier to keep up when you get on HC like 4 times a day [smile]

shantel: that's what i thought too. i bet though at a barn it is much nicer. but yeah, my big set of tubs is fine with me. although occasionally i'll forget to shut the door to the tackroom/barn and fleck will come in and try to eat his feed while i'm adding all his stuff. which isn't much.. but still. annoying! hee hee. yeah, fleck was a chubster. but he's fit as a fiddle now! didn't get any XC pics today. i'll hopefully have some from the show, but it'll be the pro pics cause....no one else i know is going. although they didn't have a photographer at the last show but it wasn't rec. so we'll see. hee hee. everyone always makes fun of my riding tan. it's really embarassing having white hands! stupid gloves. they need to invent gloves that tan through..like those bathing suits. hee hee. and i had to spray some fake tan on my legs cause they were hideously white and i got this cute cute white linen skirt (for ten bucks at walmart!) that i was wearing to my gramma's 80th bday party. got the airbrush spray tan and it works nice [smile] glad you had such a good ride. layla's really making tons of progress suddenly isn't she! its' such a great feeling huh! have fun learning CPR... we always practiced on rescussaRover. do the have like a rescussaRoger or something to practice on? my dentist once dropped my crown in the back of my mouth...almost gagged me. then it turned out it wasn't mine! ackkk. gross!! he assured me it was sterilized and clean. still gross.

luvs: thanks! hopefully we'll get it to work with my current saddles as i really really do like them. and cant' really justify spending money on two new ones. the hubby was mad enough the first time. not that i blame him. fleck's got a big enough head that fitting him in bridles is a nightmare. he's got a oversize brow and nose, but regular horse sized lengthwise. and i bought the brown dressage saddle cause i wanted brown and my jump saddle was brown. then it turned out that roany's jump saddle didn't fit him. Surprise! she's 14.3 and narrow and he's a beast! so then i had to order the jump saddle. he was like....first i buy you the horse, now we have to get all new tack? twice??? hee hee. yes dear...but it was fine. but yeah... i hope i don't have to buy new saddles. so we'll see. argh about alibi. i'm trying to sell my old house ( we rented it last year) and it's not selling, so i feel your pain. although it's harder with a horse as i don't really mind what kind of person my house goes to and how they'll treat it. although i do like my old house. it's very cool. but hopefully you'll find that perfect person for her. are you going to take her to your new barn too if she doesn't sell?

emily: yeah... i'm such a east coast girl! makes sense now... i didn't remember you being on my side of the country [smile] so when will lipton get to you?? oooh, custom browband. Nice! i have a hard time finding one that's big enough in brown. but...my crop is awesome! i am not coordinated enough to ride with a whip in dressage, but am for jumping. Well they have that fleck brand crops/whips. so i found a navy and silver one that says FLECK on the handle! i had to have it. it's got his name on it for freakin out loud. it's awesome. it's like my prized posession. i wish they made more stuff with their logo. actually i might go try to find their website and see. maybe fleck can be their poster horse! he ehee. how cool would that be! so my stall picker is sooo pretty. and she speaks english... a little southern drawly at times, and she is way cool. oh wait! it's me. hee hee. i'm so lazy. i only clean stalls every now and then. But my guys are only in to eat. or when they are enjoying the shade. the barn is in their pasture, so it's handy. hee hee. but it'd be nice to have a sexy mcdreamy barn boy! ouch! gabe's a naughty boy! maybe you should have named him rare attitude! hee hee. how fun to ride the andulusian! oh, and yeah.. fleck's no truly roached either...more of a mohawk. exactly like inky's. it's so easy, but i do need to learn how to braid. just not sure i'll have time to learn before the show. and i'm afraid if i do it friday night, on sat am it'll be a mess, and then if i try to take them out he'll have that frizz look for the mohawk!

well, nothing new to report. birthday party for gramma was fun. my cousins are a hoot! it was fun. til the migraine really kicked in. thought i was going to puke up that yummy raspberry cool whip pie my cousin made. but migraine excedrin and dark room and cat nap did the trick. maybe i'll go check out that website shelly! i'm soooo slack!

Sorry I can't keep up with you guys!

CK was a bit of a ***** today, but I worked his pretty red tail off (literally: he was begging to walk, and he was quieter and sweating profusely) and he was better. Much better. Though he could have only gone up from starting with a half rear, stomping feet, bucking, propping and squealing fit. *sigh* THOROUGHBREDS.

But really, I'm not disappointed in the ride. Even if he starts bad, he always ends well. Great free walk and he walked out on a loose rein, when we could barely trot at the beginning without headshaking. He did improve.

Also, he's shedding like crazy. I can barely breath around him. He's a Red Hairball.

Holly- Wheee! that's great you had a fabulous XC schooling. I think getting a wool pad will probably help elevate the problem. heheh Fleck w/ a belly! awh! Glad that you got your ditch problem solved. Sit back and kick like **** is what one clinician once told me when doing drops. What event are you running at this weekend?? omg i'm dying to send my entry in for a HT. But considering Scotch hasn't seen any XC fences since last ohhh August and really hasn't jumped a ton all winter...it would probably be a bit scarey lol. I really need to get out and find someone to haul me. The lady i was a WS for is coming someone close to me for a 3 phase clinic in May! It would be pretty sweet to ride in it. annd hahah for sleeping in trailers! Been there done that!! Last April to be percise! and April weather in NY is cold! I froze even though i layered myself and blankets too! Good luck for this weekend you and fleck will rock!

Emily- yay that Lipton is finally coming!! And idk why i like White breeches....it is weird. But like I said now I refuse to wear them at events i kind of think it gives me bad luck now. lol But will always wear them at dressage shows. Awh Inky so too cute. Don't sweat over the scores...always the next show to show them what you are really made of! Kick booty fer sure! (bringing out the gangsta lingo)

Boocoo-ooo new boots! i can't say that i've seen them...or my wandering eyes must of slipped over them in all these tack mags that i oohh and ahh over everyday. I totally agree w/ you on full seats. That's all I wear at shows. Schooling is different. Glad to hear that Beau is going so well for you! [big Grin]

Shelly- oooo very nice photo! ooo man how long does it take to straighten your hair? I'm definately a take shower and go to classes w/ wet hair....to lazy to do anything w/ it. But mine is def. not curly. Ahh gripping from the medium to collected transistion always is a bugger. I always think long wet towel like legs and sitting very deep into the saddle. I didn't have the gripping problem, but I had the problem of not being quick enough for the transition. Sometimes I would really get it..especially from medium canter to the collected canter and other times i'm like....ooo man bring her back bring her back. Wow I miss doing upper level work...I just miss that Jade pony in general. Sounds like you've had a super lesson...and some busy weekends ahead of you! Exciting! I'm sure you'll do great at 2nd 1 and 2! Fun fun! I'm not sure whether its pain or not. I'll have to get someone to video it and show it to you....it really does look like he is lame....and now i'm all paranoid. But it doesn't really make sense that he went so well last week and then yesterday he was like...lame. He really does it on the curving of the circle or comin off the right rein then goes on the left rein on a curve. I think I actually have a video...somewhere, an older one. Not our prettiest moments...i'll have to dig it out. and I would rather PM it to you...hehe if that's ok. I rode him today and didn't really push him...he started off a bit stiff but went fairly well...didn't really feel much of anything today. Then took him for a hack and trotted on a loose rein up a hill on not the most even ground and he didn't do a thing...it's just weird. Boggles me...So I'll probably talk to this farrier and call my old farrier and discuss it w/ them as well.

Sounds like you got some good things from Dover!! I bet the extra padding in the derby will definately help make it more snug!

Shantel- ooo CPR! Have fun at the show!

one of those stressed ridden days for me. Worrying over my pony and school. Certainly enjoyed the weather...and watching House certainly made me feel better....at least I'm not dying right. lol.