Sign in to follow this  
smithereens_86

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 15!!

wow! this must be the time of night when all of us hop on. i noticed that three people posted about the same time as me [smile]

lauren: we're doing Big Bear rec. novice. it'll be fun. we went double clean last time i was there, which was our last three phase show. but it was schooling and there was only 3 of us. But still, we got first! and there were two ditches! we kinda ran pellmell at them, but this time i think i'm gonna slow him down and sit and press for them. it's totally me. i think that i feel him look and lean forward and he's not jumping it yet, just looking. which is okay, he's allowed to look. so when i stay back, sit, lower and widen my hands, he goes [smile] wala! also, at the last show somehow we started saying "ride that skeleton horse to the gates of heeeellllll" and growling on the last word. it worked though! hee hee. yeah... eventing is soooo fun. maybe you and scotch can find a fun one to do soon. and that clinic sounds awesome. and wow! roughing it in NY is much tougher than me roughing it in georgia [smile] don't stress too much. i'm sure that he's just out of his comfort zone. i bet he's figured out it's a good way to get you worried and backing off. lazy horses! atleast he's not bucking. roany bucked for like a whole 6 years before she finally decided i wouldn't back off. then she bucked only every few rides instead of EVERY ride. but it was fun. i looked all cool and snazzy but they were actually very easy to sit too.

boocoo: yeah... i do like to drive my truck when i can. but....the gas mileage is just better so i tend to take mike's car. plus it is fun being able to zip around. and the parking at the clinic is a little tight. it's about a 45 minute drive for me to work so... hee hee. the clinic people are silly and one day they wrote "country girls do it with a shovel" on the dirt in my truck. hee hee. yeah...diesels are manly, but my truck's got a good roar too. definately gonna take your advice when i upgrade though. do you know if your new boots come in a slim calf? but you said that it's a tighter fit for the fancier ones? or no? cause my sportives in the regular calf are still a bit too wide for me. comfy, but...just a hair too big.

tag: hairy red man. hee hee. all my horses are shedding white like crazy. there is a HUGE pile of snowy stuff on my lawn where i curried the poo out of the two girls. silly TB's. oh well. atleast he ends well. that's always nice!

well, i suppose i should think about bed....

Boo, for instant, the Sportive says that the size 10 has a 15 1/2 in calf. However I was told the elastic allows them to stretch up to 2 inches, giving me the 17 1/2 I needed. I got those for Xmas 2 years ago and they fit perfectly, except dropping. Now these dress boots they just came out with say that the calf is 15-17", so Im wondering if thats the max they will stretch to, or if I could get my 17 1/2 in calf in there. Aht he joys of a fat calf.

So in class we learned about basic first aid. How to apply temporary slings, bandages, what to do for bleeding, etc. Then we worked in lab. Tomorrow the dentist is coming to check nonstudents mouths so we can work on them for a grade further down the road. Then Thursday we will do the actual CPR with the dummies. I dunno WHAT the dummies are called, but they are men and women that you put the mouth thingys on.

No work tomorrow YAY. Gotta go to the chiro at 1145am and then stop by Home Depot and get some sprinklers and then come home and do my soil sample for the pastures.

And I called the fitter for Verhan saddles (hes my trainers sponsorer so I figured Id start there) and he told me flat out hes not the cheapest and will charge a lot more than most people. He told me to check with Ann @ Equestrian Imports where I got the saddle and if she couldnt do it, hed look at it for me, but itd probably be double the cost. So guess Im calling Ann tomorrow. Sigh.

Still on the hunt for a dentist. I spoke to a friend in Gville who highly recommends this vet who has been studying and mastering dentistry for 15 years. So we'll see about that.

Gotta go to bed now. Hopefully my eyebrows will stop tingling.. I plucked them but man they look so prettiful. [smile]

Ahh! I forgot to put the link to the Gabe pictures and was out of time to go back and do it! So, Gabe pics are here! I've posted some of them on here, but those are all of the ones that I have on my computer! Enjoy. [smile]

Ah, the joys of living in Iowa where the seasons are running in reverse. After some absolutely *gorgeous* days early last week, then more typical spring weather (rain, a bit of chill, not too bad, winter has returned. Yes, it is snowing outside. Poor Fessor is in a dirty, smelly, but WARM blanket. Said blanket smells suspiciously of cat urine, but since Fessor has shed out he needed *something* to keep warm. We have a month less of classes, then a couple weeks for finals. So I am telling myself that it really IS time to start outlining and reviewing what I have learned so far. I usually leave studying for finals until later, but there is so very much to review! And it is time to register for classes (on Friday) so I have been having fun juggling potential schedules. There are enough interesting and useful sounding courses that I could fill up six years instead of three... So I need to make some decisions too.

Stay warm, everyone.

Tracy

I only have a minute, so answering real quick.

Flecken, You are so funny. I bet your truck has a good roar!! Mine does too. If I lived 45 min. to work, I'd be in trouble on the gas mileage. Glad you can take hubby's car.

On the Mountain Horse Classic High Riders. Dover is now carrying them. The item No. is: 9B-38633

In the Sportives I wear a wide calf. My calf is just under 16 inches. So the wides are fine. A tad big, but not a problem big. So when I ordered the classics, I thought the wides would be too wide, and they would have been, but I can just get the regular width on and they fit perfectly. If my calf was any wider, I would have had to go with the wides. Krazy, the wides would probably work for you. If they don't, you can always send them back. I know that's a pain, but these boots are so comfy from the get go. No breaking in time and I love that they look like classic dressage boots for the show ring.

That's it for now, gotta run out the door.

Thanks for the info Boo. Im going to hold off on getting them right now b/c my Sportives dropped a LOT and they are WAY too short. Like over 3" too short. So I want to see how they break in for you. I think my Sportives were TOO easy to break in (one ride and it was over) and they are SO soft that they just fell too much. So keep me updated! [Wink]

Got my soil sample done, and while doing so, pulled all the Dog Fennel weeds out of the pasture. Whew. Its like 93 degrees. And its NOT humid. God help us. And SNOW?! I wish.

At school.. will update later!

So at first I wasn't going to respond to anything, but I'll respond at least to the most recent posts... See, making an effort here!

3day/Lauren - EEE YOURE A HOUSE FAN?! I love House. Well, I liked 1st season the best but I still watch it because... Um, its House!

Shantel - Oooh, CPR classes... I haven't done that since I was like... 12 - I definitely could not save a life now. And no fair! 93? Its 27 here!

Tracy - yeah, WI just got below freezing again. I'm suing Mother Nature for... aw heck, you're the law student, what could I sue her for? Emotional damages? Frozen toes? Being stupid?

So I'm totally sick. Like achey all over, can't walk up the stairs without sitting down and resting, been under a heating blanket all day sick. Blech! But I have popsicles and gatorade (when I'm sick water makes me feel worse, so we push fluids with gatorade and popsicles), so theres a plus!

Has anybody ever heard of the band Carbon Leaf? They're pretty amazing, I must say. Their song, "The Girl and Her Horse" is adorable, I must say. You can hear it on their site, if you're curious.

Emily -I've hard about the EI clinic with Karen. If I get my act together and actually attempt a freestyle, maybe I'll see you there! If nothing else, I'd def. like to audit it. Now I gotta go check out your Inky and Gabe pics!!

Holly - I can sympathize, at one point, before I bought my current bridle, Teddy had a brown and black bridle that really was put together from 3 complete bridles, LOL. Hopefully you will be able to make your current saddle fit & not have to fork over the extra $$, that's never fun....keep us updated!

Tag - SHEDDING. Oh by do I hear you, last time I came home from the barn I was covered in chestnut hair!!

Lauren - Hang in there! [Huggy]

Shantel - Sounds like you are doing lots at school, that's awesome. Hopefully you will be able to find a less expensive saddle fitter!! And 93 degrees [Eek!]

I had my first drive today with an instructor and was SO nervous. Haha but I survived & passed....so all is well.

Actually have to get ready and GO to Driver's Ed now!!

Holly – For right now, you want to stick to leg yield, shoulder-in and haunches-in. Until he is REALLY SOLID on those three and CORRECT, don’t attempt half pass. You will just confuse the snot out of him!!! The haunches-in has to be easy and solid and fluid both on the long side on the rail, the quarter line, the center line, and on a circle (same thing with the shoulder-in) before you begin to attempt to teach him half pass. In the haunches-in, you want to keep that inside rein soft and suppleing, but that outside rein is your active rein. You need to use that outside rein to control the bend and the shoulders. Your inside leg bends the body around your inside leg and sends the inside hind leg to your outside rein where you “catch it” with an outside half halt. Soft suppleing (NO PULLING) on the inside rein so he doesn’t just lean and fall on it. Then add in the outside leg to move the haunches in off the rail. Remember that you have to move your inside hip to make room for his inside hip. A lot happens in the haunches-in, so take your time in setting it up. Don’t try to rush it. Breathe. Relax. Wait for it to happen. This is one of those movements that just takes a really long time to develop correctly. Patience will be your best friend on this one. If you don’t rush it, and develop it right, the half pass will be much, much easier to develop later on down the road. Your hard work will pay off ten fold. As for the head bumper, here you go:

Dover sells the bumper strap for $8.90:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?p...D0515&ss=bumper

They also sell a cheapie head bumper (in pretty navy!!!) with a bumper strap attached for $19.90, but I just don’t like it. I don’t think it offers enough in the way of thickness and protection when it comes to my horse’s poll. I don’t know. Guess I would have to touch it to tell. Just doesn’t look or sound thick enough from the description and picture:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-0511

I far prefer Dover’s thicker leather head bumper for $24.90. This is the one I have for Razzle:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?p...D0562&ss=bumper

They have an even nicer leather head bumper for $29.90, but I think the one above is more than enough. No need to go overboard and waste money for no reason. Yeah, I bet Fleck has lost at least 300lbs since that picture. He had a HUGE belly on him there and fat rolls. He is a lot trimmer and in a lot better shape now. Navy is a much better color on him than baby blue!!! That is great that there will be a saddle fitter at the show this Sunday. Hopefully he will be able to get your saddle sorted out. Hopefully we will get some good pics from the upcoming clinics, but if not, definitely from the show. Glad to hear you had a good time XC schooling despite coming off Fleck. Sounds like one of those freak falls where neither one of you is really at fault. More of a miscommunication rather than a real parting of the ways. Glad to hear you weren’t hurt. Really glad to hear that the ditch and water schooled so well. That is great. I know how hard that ditch has been for you. Sounds like you are finally conquering it. Now go out there and knock ‘em dead this weekend!!! Okay, I’ll give it to you – 35 degrees in an uninsulated, unheated trailer is COLD!!! No way around it. I vote for cleaning out the trailer, convincing Fleck to lay down and snuggling with him!!!! Ok, so maybe not, but at least track down a well insulated sleeping bag or you are going to be a popsicle come morning. You bad girl – CALL YOUR DR and make an appointment. Seriously. You are having migraines way too often. Wouldn’t it be nice to not have them anymore??? Make the appointment, try the medicine. What do you have to lose?? One simple dr’s appointment with your primary care. Don’t even have to go to the neurologist for this one!!!! Inside of a week, you will feel sooooo much better. If it was Fleck that was feeling sick, you already would have called the vet – you know you would have!!!!!

Shantel – HA!!!! I am a lot older than you may realize. If I didn’t color my hair, it would be mostly gray by this point. Glad to hear Layla’s going so well. What level are you going to show her at?? Isn’t that always the way with a mare – when you don’t want it, they are always in heat, but when you want them to come into heat, never happens!!! I can’t believe you still haven’t been able to find a dentist for Layla. That is just unreal. Poor girl!!! Hope Ann is able to find a good saddle fitter for you. I have to agree with you on boots that are too soft, and too easy to break in. They end up falling way too much and being too short. I bought the Petrie boots and just love them. They have a steel rod up the back of them to prevent them from falling too much. They will fall, but since I only put mine on right before I climb into the saddle, then take them off immediately upon dismounting, they haven’t fallen hardly at all. I’ve had them for a year and a half or two years now maybe. They were a real pain to break in, but oh so worth it. Of course, I have lost so much weight since I got them, they are too big for me in the calf. Arrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

McKenzie – Depends what you get from Smartpak whether it is worth it or not. I always thought it would be more expensive as well, but the products I get from them actually worked out CHEAPER than me buying them from the tack store. Go figure. Some things are definitely more expensive, but others are cheaper. Glad to hear Driver’s Ed is going well.

Emily – I hear you on BAD HORSES pulling on their riders!!! Razzie does the same thing to me. It is so incredibly hard to sit and hold and NOT get tight and pull myself and just make the situation worse. Glad to hear you are going to revamp the music. Sounds like doing that will bring you higher scores. You have NO IDEA how HARD Raz and I have worked our ***** off to learn that flippin’ 3 loop serpentine from 2-1. We have learned it SO WELL that not only can we now do that stupid 3 loop serpentine and make it look NICE, we can do a 5 LOOP serpentine and make it look nice, so YES, I will be showing 2-1 A LOT. I didn’t work this hard to not show it. Now that I have it, I am going to flaunt it!!! [big Grin] I am MORE ticked off that that is the hardest counter canter work in all of 2nd level. I have such a nice counter canter now, I want to be able to use it to my advantage in the shows, and I can’t because no other test has a difficult counter canter pattern like 2-1. *sigh* So that’s my 2nd level rant – or one of them at least. Don’t get me started on my 2nd level rants, because I have a few!!!! I’m a firm believer that if there is a movement in a test, it is there for a reason, and so we learn it rather than avoid the test. I do all of the tests, in order and don’t move up until I have mastered the one I am working on. Just my way of showing. Can’t wait to see the low rise breech picture!!! OH NO!!! Baby Gabe training has begun!! Glad to hear you are going to take his training seriously. I had a trainer once a long, long time ago who coddled her first foal and when the filly would bite, rear, kick, etc., she would respond with, “Isn’t she CUTE???” NO, she isn’t cute. She is going to grow into a fully grown horse with NO manners. She was an enormous problem, and we weren’t allowed to discipline her. That was a very bad situation. Gabe is ADORABLE!!!! Love all the new pics!!!

Boocoo – Perhaps it was the diesel vs gas that Jack meant when he said the truck we opted for was less expensive to maintain because he was debating between the V8, the V10 and the diesel. Gas mileage was also a big consideration for us as we would be using the truck daily, and we wouldn’t be doing a lot of big hauling, so that was why Jack opted for the V8 over the V10. More than enough power and torque without killing us on the gas budget.

Tag – Sorry to hear CK was so bad. Spring Fever!! At least you got it turned around and ended on a good note.

Lauren – Definitely isn’t an instant thing to straighten my hair. I shower and wash it the night before rather than in the morning to save time, then I can just sit in front of the TV and chill while it mostly dries, 5-10 minutes to blow dry it the rest of the way, then 5 minutes with a straightening iron to polish and straighten. Makes it really silky and shiny. Realistically, I can step out of the shower and be ready to go in half an hour to 45 minutes including hair, make-up, fancy dress, the whole nine yards so to speak. I just choose not to rush myself that way if I don’t have to. On a daily basis in the mornings since I did my hair the night before, I am good to go hair wise – just style it a little with a curling iron to give it a little shape so it doesn’t just hang. Barend said I tend to stop moving and tighten everything a little too much in the downward transitions. What I need to do is change my movement from say a canter rhythm to a trot rhythm rather than going totally dead still, stopping the canter, then beginning my trot movement. Probably why when I try for my c/w/c changes I end up getting c/h/c instead. So I’ve been working on that and getting much better results. I just need to be more fluid and move more with the horse. I just have it in my head that I need to be quieter and still in the saddle, so I keep trying to hold myself still, and it is working against me. Once I stopped thinking that, things started working better.

Okay – On the rein lameness issue: Both Barend and Julie saw Razzle do his little rein lameness deal these past two sessions. Barend said it is because he has lost balance and is searching for it, and I haven’t helped him out. Julie basically said the same thing, loss of balance, and I need to push him more forward and help him get more organized. It is amazing how DEAD LAME a horse can look and feel when they lose their balance. If you can ride him forward and straight and even and the lameness goes away, he isn’t unsound, he just lost balance. That is tricky to deal with because you think lame and want to back off, but what you need to do is ride more forward and solve the crooked issue you have going on somewhere in the body which is making him lose his balance. Hard to tell from a video if it is rein lameness or actual lameness. Hard to tell in person. The only way to tell the difference, is to ride him out of it. He will ride out of the rein lameness. He won’t ride out of real lameness. If you can get him forward, straight and even, and the limping is gone, it is rein lameness. If you start putting him back together, and he starts limping again, don’t fret. He hasn’t magically gone lame. You are going to have to figure out what is throwing off his balance and how to keep him in balance. He isn’t actually lame, he is just out of balance. It is VERY, VERY frustrating. Trust me, I know. I’ve fought with this for a very long time myself. Drives me nuts. Yes, the curves are the worst, and with rein lameness, you will generally see it in one direction over the other. For me it is always to the left, and mostly on circles, so when it happens, I return to the track to get forward, straight and even. When the lameness disappears, I carefully try my circle again. I keep repeating until I can get the circle without the limping. I am almost always the cause by pulling/blocking on the inside left rein. Feel free to PM any vids you have to me. I’ll take a look, but more importantly, the next time you feel this lameness come on, here is what I want you to do. First, remember exactly what you were doing/working on when the lameness cropped up (it will figure out what is causing the issue in the first place). Second, immediately go large and start using the entire arena. Do a super forward stretchy trot (posting) for as long as it takes – don’t you lean forward, get tight, or pull – just soft easy, encourage the stretch and relax. If the lameness goes away, use your seat and legs (NOT reins) to go back to a 20m circle, still in super forward, stretchy trot, and carefully start to pick him back up. If he starts limping again, back to the track and super forward stretchy trot. Keep repeating until you can pick him up and continue your work. When you are able to pick him up, keep that forward feeling. Don’t back him off.

Tracy – I hear you – we got snow all day yesterday. Not too much accumulation, but there is a definite white blanket covering everything today. *sigh* So much for SPRING!!!!

Lisa/Kyalii – Sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well. Hope you are back on your feet soon.

Phew!! Okay, I think I got everyone!!

~Shelly~

[ 04-05-2007, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

Krazy, you can't compare the Sportives the the Classic dress boots. That's like comparing tennis shoes to high heels! [ROTFL] Although, my Sportive's did not drop, I wonder if yours did because your leg is more defined at the top of the boot? The Classics, have the high spanish tops. Very high. Mine are hard to walk in because the tops are so high, and I am tall. I knoe they will drop a tad, but then they will be perfect and in no way could they be too short, especially with the high outside spanish tops.

Luv, I bet you did fine on your driving test. That's one of those things that comes with lots of practice. Just remember to breathe when you drive, just like when you are riding.

Flecken, Fleck is quite the tubster, eh? Not a hard keeper there, is he?

Smithereens, your truck is absolutely lovely and perfect for what you need it for. We have toyed around with the idea of selling my trailer, getting a two horse aluminum and trading my truck in for a Crew Cab, 1/2 ton, to get better fuel mileage. But I really love my truck and don't want to trade it in. The trailer I'll take however!! [big Grin]

I have been practicing counter canter and shoulder in. It's going quite well. Beau and I are getting our confidence back since we moved to this new barn. Can ya'll believe I've been there just over a month now? I moved there on March 1st. The barn owner has a lovely DWB school master, He has been on a lay up though from stifle surgery. She rode him yesterday, just walking for 10 min. for the first time since last July. He immediately wanted to do 1/2 pass and he loves doing changes. She said she wants me to ride him and learn lateral work on him. Some he will be able to do. Course we have to slowly build him up. He is verrry out of shape. But I thought that was so cool of her. Beau was a goof ball yesterday. Came running in to his run on his stall from his pasture and slammed his hip into the corral panel. Pulled a front shoe in the process. Shoer is coming today, how convenient. Anyway, he was so wound up. I had my husband put the halter on him and take him for a stroll out in the pasture while I looked for the lost shoe. I hear my husband yelling at me "look at him, honey, look at him" I look up and as he is leading him up the fence line Beau is passaging like you would not believe! Wow, I yelled, no trouble with that, eh? Course he did not have a rider on his back and have to be all collected, but the movement is definitely there.

I better get back to work. Off tomorrow for a 3 day weekend. [Yay]

It dropped 55 degrees, we got 5 inches of snow, and it's windy. What the heck?

I again don't have a lot of time but CK was MUCH better today after I put him in the Dr. Bristol for a single schooling session--I consulted with The Trainer and she agreed that he needed to back off my hand a bit. Took him a few minutes to sort out the bit, and he wasn't quiet as eager to soften for me, but he was quiet and there was absolutely no pulling.

Additionally, I got an amazing canter. He started great, then he inverted, head tilted and did his "oh **** I hate cantering" and I didn't change a thing and suddenly he stepped back underneath himself, lifted his shoulder and softened completely for three more strides. I down transitioned and we ended the ride there haha

Spring is almost here, right?

Shelly - I will have to look at the SmartPak supplement options..I get the magazine and have ordered a few things, but never have really looked at the supplements. Teddy is on a glucosamine joint supp. as a preventive, but I am thinking of putting him on a coat supplement, at least for spring/summer. Any reccomendations??

Boocoo - I didn't do too bad, I just was too nervous. I need to work on lane changes WITHOUT slowing down. And you're right, I need to breathe...half the time I was holding my breath, lol!! I can't believe it's been a month at your new barn. For some reason it feels longer to me. Glad to hear Beau is going well for you, and the Dutch gelding sounds like he'd be fun for to try some lateral/upper level stuff on. It's really nice to occasionally get on a schoolmaster, or just a good trained horse, to get the correct feel of the movement, so you can apply it to your horse and your riding.

Tag - You are have some SERIOUS odd weather!! That's nuts. Cannot believe it SNOWED [shocked]

It's actually almost 70 degrees right now and simply gorgeous. After lunging Teddy in the indoor, I am defintely going to ride outside and walk down the road (it's not a *real* road, but the private drive where the stable is located on...so no traffic or anything).

Oh good grief...no hope (once more) of catching up...I started my new term and I am taking 17 credits!!! I am totally dropping like six of those anyway, I will just start from here...after I go coach my drill team tonight and finish writing my speech. Well, I hope everyone is well and that no one/horse is sick or injured.

Off to do more homework - blah!

And play with Vegas [big Grin]

Well thanks to all you Northerners and Westerners! The cold front hit Florida last night and today it was only like 74 degrees. And tonight its getting down to around 41!! Tomorrow its going to be in the lower 70s upper 60s and tomorrow night in the 30s! I thought I was done with the blankets but I guess not! But after dealing with 90 degrees yesterday, Im happy for the weather change. Plus Regionals is Saturday and Im sure it will be nice to watch the show without it being so hot and Im sure the riders will appreciate not having to ride in hot weather and coats.

I rode Layla today for about 25-30 mins. She was so good. Which is nice b/c when I rode on Sunday she wasnt so good.

OH! And I have gooey discharge from Layla! So I called the vet to let her know. So hopefully she'll be out within the next few days for an exam.

Randy bought me 4 sprinklers and some hose to get the field irrigated. Waiting for the soil sample test to come back. Also have to get ant killer and weed killer. Whew. Better take advantage of the cooler weather while I can.

Shelly, I cant believe you when you say you are OLD. No way. You look fantastic and so youthful!

Boo, thats an awesome opportunity with the schoolmaster at your new barn. Very exciting. I know how much riding my old trainers upper level horses helped me. Its a great experience.

Well Im at school so not much time. Will try to catch up tomorrow night I guess after I get off work at 6.

Happy Easter!

shantel: i agree, my MH boots dropped too. hmmm, we'll have to see how boocoo's hold up! i too am going to be needing a new pair eventually. hee hee. i hate plucking eyebrows...probably why mine are all bushy. yay for no work/school. hope you get the saddle fit all squared away as well as your soil. i'm so slack about my place. but i'm also wanting to move soon. anyone know where i can get 50 acres for under 3 mill?? hee hee. i like the boonies, just want to be sorta near an e-clinic....oh well. oh, and good luck with the dentist too. there are more and more dentists out there that aren't vets, but.... that makes me a little iffy. just cause of the sedation part. but that's probably a bit biased...coming from me. [Wink]

emily: yay gabe pics! he's such a cutie pie!

tracyA: eeeeew, cat pee is the WORST! but atleast he's warm. we got some cold weather too. it was in the high 70's and not humid and today it got up to 60 for about 2 hours and was 50 otherwise. dropping into the low 30's tonight. but snow...nope, not in a loooooong time in georgia. snow sounds like fun but i imagine you're sick of it. good luck studying. i always THOUGHT about studying before the night before but rarely motivated myself to do it. instead i would panic and pull all nighters and barely pass. stupid! so get to studying! and have fun picking out a schedule. it's so fun when you can pick some fun classes instead of just poopy ones.

boocoo: thanks for the info. i'll check them out. my fall yesterday screwed up my zipper on my half chaps so i had to ride in my boots again today. it really would be nice to have a show pair and a riding pair.... and they sound so nice. i'm short so a tiny bit of drop would be just fine! ewww. eyelash batting time! hee hee. and yep. fleckers is a BIG boy! but in his defense, his momma was pregnant and then had her kid before i bought him. so he was enjoying the good life. Now the poor beasty gets ridden 3-6 times a week and is fit and trim! too fit! and maybe a smidge too thin. although it's hard to tell cause his barrel is HUGE! seriously, i could fit like three of me in there. wooo. fancy schmancy beau! can't wait til he does that with you on him!!! way cool! and how awesome about the schoolmaster. very very cool. and very nice of her to offer. she must think highly of you as a rider to have offered that! yay!

lisa: FEEL BETTER SOON. i hate the spring flu's. i always get them and it's warm and nice outside, not conducive to sitting at home snuggled in bed with tea. but hopefully you'll feel better soon. yummm. popsicles! that's a great idea!

luvs: keep up the good work with driving [smile] it's sorta like riding a horse. if you look left, your car tends to go left too. hee hee. i almost crashed the other day cause i was craning my neck to peek at some of the neighbors horses. ooops! and yay for warm weather!

shelly: thanks! i'm not sure why we tried it in my lesson that day. he was being very good and it was at the end....so good point though. i won't keep playing with it at home and screwing it up. we'll just work on those haunches in and shoulder ins and all that fun stuff! i have to constantly constantly ride him in a shoulder in (or think it, but don't actually get a real true shoulder in) to keep him from throwing that shoulder out anyways, so we're getting pretty good at our shoulder ins. but at the circle...not so much yet. getting there but it's not as obvious as it should be. thanks for the links on the bumpers. the navy one is sooo pretty. but...maybe i'll find someone with it so i can see how thick it really is. now i just need to find some snazzy matching shipping boots and we're set. although he does have pretty navy and white shipping bandages! just time consuming! but i'm sooo lazy. and yep! i'm so excited. the fitter is actually coming to another barn down the street from me, so i'll have to leave the show as soon as i'm done and hope to catch him. but they are doing stadium on sunday, and i ride just before 9 am so i'm hoping to have plenty of time. and hee hee. fleck was a Fatty! wasn't he. he's definately in shape now. a little bit too in shape actually. my sorry butt needs to start running or something! okay, okay...good point about the vet and fleck. i'll make an appointment next week! i promise! and yep, i think the ditch is slowly resolving! we jumped one at my trainers today and it was fine. and it's not even a very nice ditch. so...now i just gotta get over those giant trakenhers! the little ones are easy, but the big ones...well, the ones with the big ditches under them! oooh, speaking of scary things... i have a funny story, but skip ahead to the bottom for it. sillly pony.

tag: yay! for that awesome canter, but more importantly that he figured it out on his own. sweeet. hee hee. my pony mare and i did jumpers and she was such a snot! i had her in a copper twisted dr bristol full cheek snaffle. that little snot still ran me around. but....perhaps it was training and not the bit. aha! when we switched to dressage she learned to go in a loose ring. hee hee. but i did love my bristol! not implying that you shouldn't use it. at all. it sounds like you guys made the right choice and you can switch him back later when he learns more.

vegas: good luck woman! that's a lot of stuff to do. hang in there.

okay...so i really should be doing laundry and packing for the show, but...what the heck! so today was a good day. COLD! but good. the farrier came and did flecks feet. he was only at five weeks but was getting a smidge long and he likes to throw shoes just before or at shows, so..what the heck. then i had my dressage lesson. and OMG it was sooo fun. she's got a almost 3 year old - 3/4 TB and 1/4 draft. she's been riding him but no one else has ridden him and she wanted to see how he went. so she hopped on fleck (she used to own him) and i hopped on her horse. and wow! he's sooo freakin fun. i really like the babies. he had a very nice reaching trot with a swinging shoulder. had breaks! and responded well to my leg. he was silly. so we did alot of walk, decent amount of trotting (for a baby!) and then i cantered him both directions just down the long side. he's a bit goofy about picking up his canter. does that fast trot first but was good. he got a little quick at the end, but it was sooo fun. hopefully i didn't mess any of his training up. but my trainer was glad to see him go and not be stupid. and said he was cuter than she thought under saddle. so yay! and she was doing a tiny bit of stuff with fleck. cause i had just gotten on him. and said he was really solid in the bridle and in her hand and seat and had really come into his own! yay! i was so worried she was gonna be like....oh my gosh, you screwed him up!. not really, but just a smidge bit worried. but then we did dressage with fleck. worked on basics since i'm only doing novice dressage test which ..... not to sound bad, but it's sooooo boring now that i'm doing 1st level. no fun stretchy trots, no fun crazy canter stuff. but fleck has a bad habit of getting hollow through his transitions and so we worked on that. did the 20 m circle with transitions back and forth at every 1/2 or 1/4 mark. wow! fleck was really solidly on and he kept him frame throughout the transitions! it was awesome! so that's going to be in my routine again. i had forgotten about it. so then i threw on the jump saddle and we did some gymnastics. we did fine the first time through. then she had a fun x set up on a bendy line after the gymnastics. Think of an x, but instead of being vertical, it was horizontal. like a wierd oxer. well, poor fleck was like whoo hoo, i did the gymnastics, we're done...totally didn't see the silly oxer thing, but managed to make it over. not pretty though. so we did it a few more times and we did it all pretty. then we raised them up and it was fine. then karen took off her sweater and put it on the first oxer. (here's the funny par) and we went down again. he looked at it before the first cross rail and totally went "oh, that's karen shirt" and just went back to work. hee hee. this is the same horse that the stupid tractor in the corner scares him EVERY TIME around that corner. silly goober. oh well. then we went outside the ring and jumper her ditch. which was fantastic. it's a wierd one. it's got a bad take off spot. you go uphill and then there's the ditch... it's a rain thingy. so it's not the nicest, but i just remembered to stay back and i didn't collapse forward when he looked and it was fine. second time he didn't even look. so yay!

so i'm feeling pretty good about this weekend. not gonna get cocky though. it is a rec. show and there are ALOT of people. and i know my nerves will kick in, but if i can just keep my mind straight and ride him like i know i can, i think we'll be great! so...cross your fingers for me.

alright, hope everyone has a great weekend and stays warm! me included! i'll report back on sunday night or monday with the show results, the saddle fitting (hopefully) and...how cold i was! hee hee.

oh, i was a bad momma and did ride in my saddles, but added a fleecy wither pad. he seems okay still so far.... but we'll find out sunday hopefully.

later!

holly

Yes, Luv, you need to breathe in and out when you are driving. That will help you relax. It's very normal to be nervous at first. It will come in time.

Fleck , I am telling you, these Classic boots are not going to drop like the Sportive's. They are too tall. They have the high spanish cut tops. They are a good 5 to 6 inches taller than my Sportives. If they drop an inch or so, that will be fine and that is normal. But they aren't going to drop more than that. They also come with those cool blow up boot shaper things. I know Fleck is in really good shape now as much as you ride him. I think he looks really good now. Have fun at the show. Can't wait to hear an update.

Shoer came today and shod Beau and put the shoe on the other horse that threw one last night also. Then we had a serious talk with our horses about keeping their shoes on. Went to dinner at Chili's with the hubby and son and then to good ol' Walmart. Lesson tomorrow.

Ahh! I'm WAY too tired to try to catch up, so I'll amuse everyone by posting my low-rise show outfit picture. I showed for a few shows like this, and then watched the videos. I decided then that I would no longer be showing in anything other than pants that went to my waist. (All ponies are doing well, btw). Okay, here we go. Try not to laugh too hard. [Razz]

-

Sorry that it's sideways, it wouldn't let me fix it. [Frown]

[ 04-06-2007, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: SpotsAtX ]

Shantel, that's HOT. I was SWEATY at 75. I blanketed only because it got below 30 and it's down into the low 20's at night. And he's shedding whatever fur he had. haha. You Floridians are SPOILED.

LOL I do not evny 20 degrees. But of course its all relative. When you go from 90 degrees to 30s in less than 48 hrs.. heck even 90 to 40 in less than 24 hrs thats a big change! But Im loving it. I hate the HOT weather. A perfect 70 degrees is my kinda weather. Oh well.

Ben did his famous "Im going to run through your fence and then when you try to catch me Im going to run and run and run and then when you think you have me, Im going to run through the fence again!" crap. I know a lot of people say when a horse wont be caught, make them work until they are tired. Well when you have 1.5 acres of pasture that they can run in and you are on person, its hard to keep them going. Geezus. Hes been SO good lately. It just aggravates me to NO end.

Learned actual CPR today. Tuesday we learned basic First Aid and how to apply slings and what not. Today we actually did the CPR on these avatar things. Its so easy now. 2 breaths, 30 compressions, 2 breaths, 30 compressions. Tada. 5 times. Then we learned what to do for choking. Thats it.

Getting up early to ride with Sarah and then I have to work 1130-6. Saturday we are going to the Regionals show and I get to see my trainer and my ex trainer show. So that will be fun.

Have a good night!

Boocoo - hee, I love the moves horses can pull when we're NOT on them. I almost think sometimes they're taunting us 'haha, look what I REALLY can do!'

tag - Yuck snow! We only got flurries, but still. Stupid weather.

McKenzie - 70s? No fair!

Holly - This is the first time I've been sick all season, and I have a lesson tommorrow that I CANNOT cancel. Goof grief. But yes, I love my popsicles!

Well, still sick, though fever has dropped without any medication, which is good. But I need things to speed up, so I finally popped some Tylenol (I HATE swallowing pills). I'm supposed to ride a friend's horse tonight, plus Hattan, and tommorrow I have to ride Cruise again, and I have a lesson, which I can't skip as its going to be my last chance to get my rating flowcharts checked off. I couldn't have gotten sick at a worse time. And the cold weather makes breathing so unbelievably painful with my sore throat - this is ****. Though my trainer is amazingly awesome and hes seen me do just about everything on the flowchart this year at some point... I bet if I asked really nicely he'd fudge it a bit and sign me off without seeing that day. I've had 3 different national examiners tell me I need to go for my C-1 right away, I THINK those endorsements mean I'm ready for it. Goodness. These new club rating procedures are awful!

But in really great awesome AMAZING news... I went to the PC Sponsor's meeting last night as a Junior Board representative. This was awful as it was 3 and a half hours of adults talking about stuff and me lying next to the meeting on one of the barn's couches, trying to stay awake. But then they asked me to step out of the room and I'm like 'oh crap, what have I done this time?' (I got into some major trouble in January for being 'disrespectful' to a trainer I never talked to - one of the mothers in the barn hates me and has lied about me on several occasions. Not cool), but then they brought me back in and our DC says "Lisa, because you've gone so much above and beyond as a teacher for the D's this year, and because you've been such an amazing mentor for our younger members, the board has voted to give you a 200 dollar scholarship to regional or local camp" *jaw drop* WHOA. I do that stuff because I like it, not for any reward! So it feels weird accepting it, but lord knows I need it. So yay me! [Yay][Yay]

Megan - 17 credits?! Jeez girl!! lol. How is Vegas' recovery going?

Shantel - I think I got some of your weather here in Northwest WA...it's in the 70's and gorgeous, like yesterday [big Grin] . It seems like everyone is having odd weather changes, especially you and Tag! Sounds like you learned a lot about CPR/First Aid...which is obviously good to know, just hope you don't have to put it into action!! Oh, and I HATE having to catch horses...Ali is in a large paddock, and she once ran away from me and it took awhile to catch her [Wink]

Holly - Thanks...I am less nervous about driving now, after doing some "scary" stuff with the driving instructor. Now I just gotta conquer my mom's shift-stick car (she has an '04 Subaru Forester). Sounds like you had lots of fun on the horse, it's super cool to swap horses sometimes!! I will be crossing my fingers that the show goes well, I am sure you two will do fleckin' awesome [Wink][big Grin] ...(*knocks on wood*).

Boocoo - Yeah, breathing does help, LOL. Sounds like a fun night, and let us know how the lesson goes.

Emily - Honestly, the pants aren't that bad [Razz] . The ponay looks cute, & glad to hear the other horsies are doing well.

Lisa/Kyalii - Yeah, I am LOVING this weather!!

Gottag get ready to ride [big Grin]

Congrats on the scholarship, Kyalli. That's awesome.

Luv, I remember when I first started driving and I backed my car up all crooked into the gate post. My Dad was furious. [ROTFL] But you live and learn from those things.

Lesson today, well, where do I start? First part was awesome. We were doing our trot work. Hubby and son were there watching. Then my canter work fell apart. I couldn't sit right and Beau was being totally evasive and pissy. He has been really hot lately, but this was ridiculous. Trainer got on him not once, but twice. Finally after that 2nd time, I got the walk and trot part and we put him away, drove south to get her truck out of the shop, came back got him and took him home. I was feeling real sorry for myself, you all know the drill! I'm old, fat, can't ride, blah blah blah. Then the trainer and her hubby were telling me, don't think you are the only one to ever have this trouble and my trainer telling me, Beau is not the easiest horse to ride and you make it look easy to ride him. He totally trusts you and I know a lot of people couldn't ride this horse. That made me feel better. He can be a pistol sometimes. So I thought back to how bad we were when we first started and how far we've come and hubby reminded me that I really have not been doing dressage all that long and I was reverting back to barrel racer mode today and that was my problem. Don't think I will get to ride tomorrow though, only going to be in the mid 30's for the high. The normal temp for this time of year is mid 80's! [Eek!] Plus rain/sleet. Good grief. I will probably not get to ride till Monday. Sure hope so, cause schooling show is next week. Ok, done feeling sorry for myself now, time to buck up and get r done!! [Crazy]

So I get up early this morning to ride with Sarah before work. Well Layla comes out of the stall all pissy and attitude. Guess shes not a morning person like her mom.

So anyways, we start out and she just wants to do the opposite of me. I say slow down she wants to jet off. I say left, she says right. Ugh. She was just wound up tight like a ball! I spent 20 mins just walking on light contact, and she was groaning and making this like grunting noise.. ya know when they get like really pissed or fried, well Layla grunts or whatever when shes really just cooked. And we were just WALKING. Not even asking her to be on the bit or anything. Just to relax. CRAZY. So I said FINE youre going to get ridden when I get home again tonight.

So I get on tonight to ride. Just take it slow and read her.

I get on. Shes perfect. Happy and just hacking around, ears pricked. So happy and relaxed she gave me her back to sit on, and I got to focus on ME and my position at the sitting trot. Then we worked on canter-trot transitions which started out iffy and ended perfectly. GO FIGURE!

I called Ann at Eq Imports about my saddle. Shes out of town until Tues but her assistant called her before she boarded the plane and she suggested I try my sheepskin 1/2 pad to try to evenly distribute the pressure b/c the white hairs are obviously from pressure points, but shes NOT sore any where and the saddle looks to fit her perfectly. So I rode in the sheep skin tonight and as I said, she was great. So we'll keep an eye on that.

Getting up super early tomorrow and Sarah and I are going to Regionals. Cant wait. Im meeting a poster from UDBB there in the afternoon. I think shes going to join our lesson group too. She seems very cool and is going to be getting a Lusty stallion from the like main people or family who raise them in South America (dont remember their names but they are well known) so thats pretty cool.

Speaking of cool.. in the upper 30s tonight. Crazy.

So after riding 2 times today, working all week, going to school all week, and closing tonight, I took a long hot bath in the jacuzzi. My body thanks me. It was nice to lay back and relax and listen to some Nora Jones. Very nice.

Boo, I think its the weather. Layla was full of herself too and shes rarely like that. But you need to keep that sleet and rain over THERE. Dont send it this way!

Have a good night guys!

Holy cow, this is waaayy to much for me. I am still getting into the groove of actually having a semi-heavy courseload...I am actually taking 17 credits this term, that's more than I have taken since my junior year! I'm about ready to drop six of those, seriously. If I can get others to work out to transfer to Wilson, I won't need the two on Tuesday and Thursday, which will be like super nice!!

Anyway, Vegas went back to work Yesterday!!! [Yay] We just walk/trotted on the longe, but she did really well, and was completely sound! [big Grin] When we first started we got one lap at the walk, and then she must have seen something shiny, because her ears pricked up and she took off at the trot and it was all I could do to get her to walk, until ten minutes later, and she was completely winded [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, I hope everyone is well and everything...I've got a crazy bad migraine tonight from this crazy week and the unseasonable heat...I'm going to sleep for like a whole ten hours tonight...the first time in like 8 months...ahhh

Krazy, I think your right. It's the weather. Beau has been all fired up since Wed. He really isn't normally like that. Now it's wet and cold. Right now it's only in the high 30's. Very unusual for Central Texas this time of year. Should be in the low 80's. Will try not to send the weather your way, but I would sure love it to go away.

I always use a full square lambswool pad for Beau. He really likes it and seems to work much better in it. I bet Layla likes that too, being TB. Beau is mostly TB also.

Boocoo - LOL I bet that wasn't too much fun...I have a feeling my parents wouldn't be too excited about me hitting anything at this point. And yes, weather can really make horses whacko. Like your hubby and trainer said, you haven't been doing dressage a long time and already you and Beau have been doing awesome...there will always be "those" days as well know.

Shantel - Sounds like it was a mare day...I can sympathize. But I'm glad she was so much better when you got on again later. I ride in a sheepskin half pad too, and love it. I used to have an Equigel pad but don't use it anymore. The sheepskin offers more comfort, is lighter and more breathable as well...I guess I should stop rambling now, lol. But hope you can get a saddle fitter out soon. Have fun at Regionals!

Megan - Yay, she was sound!! That's awesome. Glad to hear that [big Grin]

I had a lesson on the Welsh stallion, Nugget, and also on Teddy. Nugget was awesome, and this is only his 6th ride ever in his life, and my 3rd time on him. He has not tried to spook or act silly yet, and he's just nice and calm around other horses. And for a green-as-grass 3 year old stallion, I'm quite pleased. He is already grasping a sense of what contact means and is chewing the bit nicely. He is a REALLY quick learner. We are hoping to take him to at least one schooling show later this year, as there are some close to me (like 30-45 min away) through October. But for this year we won't do any recognized shows as he is just starting out. Anyways, I love him!! Teddy was a good boy also. We got some clean flying changes and nice half pass, and also worked on our halt-trot-halt transitions, rein-back, and going from rein-back directly into a trot. Overall he was a good boy!

[smiley Wavey]

Whew, I read everything and I am more or less caught up! It sounds like everyone is doing well.

Today was a little better, though I am still fighting the remnants of the migraine. I think it is from stress and lack of sleep, which has pretty much been my life for the past week and a half like you wouldn't believe...then some of my family came on Thursday, and that is always really hard for me to deal with since I have a form of Autism and I can't deal with change in routine or strange people in my space or lots of people/noise all at once. So today I slept in after they left (the ponies were really mad at me when I went to feed at like 8:30 [Razz] ) and did absolutely nothing productive except run a quick errand for Dad. I bought a box of donuts and half a gallon of chocolate milk while I was out and I have been dining on that while reading Harry Potter all day. I did go help my friend move to a different apartment today though, so chalk one up for me!

So not to go on and on about poor me anymore, Vegas just keeps getting better and better. I was going to longe her today but it was way rainy and crappy, so she had to stay in. I haven't ridden Zee since Wednesday, and even then was the first time in a week, so I have not been doing a lot of riding lately. But the last time I rode Zee I took off my stirrups and it was sooo hard but sooo good!!! My butt is still sore! [Embarrassed] But I did start the Schooling the Horse class at school, which is a continuation of Young Horse Training, which I took in the fall but skipped winter term. Anyway, so I am going to be riding at least three times a week as a minimum. Vegas Should be back under saddle by the end of the month too, so I should be getting back in shape soon too. I need to start running again too. I looked in the mirror the other day and I was like wow...I've gained weight.

Anyway, that's pretty much the only exciting stuff that's been happening around here. I can feel the migraine coming back again so I am going to goto bed...after I contradict everything I just said by eating another donut...mmmm

Comgratulations to you if you actually read this whole rant [Wink]