Sign in to follow this  
dressagewannabe

Wierd email about selling horse

So as most of you know, I have a horse that I am trying to sell. Yesterday I got an email from somebody who says they are in Ontario, Canada (I'm in Ohio) and they were interested in Cisco. They wanted to know a price. Other than that they didn't give me much information, it was kinda wierd.

It seemed like their email was sent through a translator (it wasn't clear english, lots of confusing words), but I went ahead and humored them and sent them a price and asked what kind of riding they do, what discipline would they like him for, etc.

Today I got an email saying that the price was good, they wanted him for "self-riding" and that they needed my address to send me the cashiers check and that they would be sending a shipping company to pick him up, that they would appreciate if I put sold on my online ads.

I flat out told them no, that I wouldn't buy a horse without riding it, and unless they come to ride him, and I think they will get along well that they won't be buying my horse.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? I refuse to sell my horse to someone I don't know without them even coming out to look at him. Ever heard of anything like this?

I'm confused, I don't like it. I guess I was wondering if this was a scam, or something I could report? I don't know what I would report but it all seemed a little shady to me.

Hmmm.. any thoughts?

Definitely a scam.

Their next step would have been to send you a cashier's or certified check through the mail. It would have been for a significant amount MORE than the asking price of the horse. They would have then said you should sent the difference to a 'third party' (usually their "shipper").

If you had sent that money to the so-called shipper, probably in a day or two following that, the bank would call you saying the check they paid you was fraudulent, and you'd be out the money you sent on. On the positive side, they would not have shown up and taken the horse. They have no interest in what you're actually selling, they're just trying to get cash out of you.

They do it for everything now, cars, furniture, electronics- basically, if I get an email that doesn't sound "right" language-wise, I disregard it.

If you visit websites like http://www.scamorama.com you can read a TON of sample letters from scammers, so you can get a feel for how they're written and learn what to look for.

You can google "nigerian 4-1-9 scam" as well, as that's what the root of all this stuff is.

For reporting it, you can report the email address and send any copies to the website hosting your ad. The US Secret Service is also involved in investigating Advance Fee Fraud, but I'm not sure if they're handling these newer versions.

To make things more complicated, you also have scammers offering saddles and horses for sale as well (usually high end products, they steal the photos and info from existing ebay auctions, etc).

Moral of the story is ask a ton of questions, whether you are buying or selling, and very specific questions at that. If the answers are "off" then do not do business with that person.

[ 04-04-2007, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: goldentoes ]

quote:

Originally posted by goldentoes:

Definitely a scam.

Their next step would have been to send you a cashier's or certified check through the mail. It would have been for a significant amount MORE than the asking price of the horse. They would have then said you should sent the difference to a 'third party' (usually their "shipper").

Aaah that's exactly what they said. Am I allowed to post an email somebody sent me, because I would like you all to read this? Ah, heck I'm going to post it anyhow, if I need to delete it I will.

I was selling puppies once and got one like that, it's a major scam that people do to get your address and phone number to steal your identity. Don't give them any info. Spam them out and tell the local athorities.

This is the second email that he sent me.. like I said, that was a bit weird, so I told him no, that if he wanted to buy Cisco he had to come see him first. This is just a reminder that everyone should be VERY careful selling your horses.

Hello Olivia,

Thanks for your swift response.I'm self-ok with the price given.He will be using for self-ride.

Consecutively,for the means of payment am using Cashier's check,co's it will turn out to real cash,so the Cashier's check will be Delivered to you Packagely by Courier service...at your Door-step,and for the shipping of the (Cisco Horse).I'll be contacting my Shipper's to come for the pick up your location at your own comfortable fixed time.And I do promise you that you will definitely enjoy doing business with me.

Furthermore,my ATTORNEY is Residing in your USA,he's owing me a sum of money and he'll be issuing a Check in a Sum of $8400 and you will be deducting your own money from it which is $4000 and you will be sending the remaining balance to the Shipping company that will come for the pick-up.

Moreso,let me have your Full name which the money order will be made payable to your mailing address where it will be sent to, including your Cell Phone Number or any Number that I will be able to reach you at given time.I hope this is stated to you Clearly and understanding,

Stay Bless...

PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site..ok, or any interested buyer that mail you just let them know that it has been SOLD..ok,so for doing that I will be willing to compensate you with $100,so your total deduction

will be $4100.

Sincerely,

Jude...

i read about something like this (i think on these boards). the seller went along with the whole charade giving the "buyer" a load of false information to the point that you could almost picture him frothing at the mouth with frustration. this was a nigeria thing that g.t. mentioned in her poast. it was actually hilarious but probably not to be recommended.

I am so glad you posted this question and got such great answers, this is really something to watch for. I live in Ontario so when I was reading your first post I was confused about what kind of translation would need to be done. That email was crazy and I am glad you were cautious. I probably woudln't want to sell my horse to someone I had never met either.

THIS IS A SCAM!!! Horsecity, Equine.com, Dream horse.com and a host of others have all had warnings on their web sites about this scam. Sometimes the folks are in Africa, so they say, or various other parts of the world. They do not know how to spell or use good english. They do it on all kinds of products. I know someone that was stupid enough to get scammed for $6000.00 for a boat she was buying. So this one was the other way around. I have sold horses and saddles in the past and gotten the same types of e-mails. You were very wise to be cautious and there is somewhere you can report it. I can't remember where, but you can probably google scam e-mails and it will come up.

CREEPY!!!!! The lady I bought Poet from got some scam like this too...they do this with houses around here too; there was an article in the paper:(

I had one contact me about a living room set for sale. Keep in mind I live in Baltimore.

"she" wanted to buy the whole set for her new place- in South Africa. "she" was in London.

Yeah, THAT makes TONS of sense, LOL

I tried to keep it going but I'm not creative enough.

ive heard of this one, and experienced it i think its people with a similar hors to sell, and they try and knock out the competition.

quote:

Originally posted by Maple:

ive heard of this one, and experienced it i think its people with a similar hors to sell, and they try and knock out the competition.

Never heard of that particular take on it, though it's possible.

This particular scam (as I described and the OP posted) works by getting you to send them money after they send you "too much" via cashier's check.

The reason they want the item marked as "sold" is so you are dependent on them paying you and don't get other offers in the meantime, as it can take a while for the checks to be mailed (most of these people are overseas). (or so you don't get contacted by other scammers in the meantime, which also happens)

I's appriciate if you donot do buisnesse's with so said self-Jude. Thanks you for your swift no. I dos not have said ATTOURNY residing in your USA. Moreso, I's be a scams artist thats will takes yours moneys and runs with it alls the ways to South Africas.

yup, that's a scam all right! good for not replying!

quote:

Originally posted by meg_k_2007:

I's appriciate if you donot do buisnesse's with so said self-Jude. Thanks you for your swift no. I dos not have said ATTOURNY residing in your USA. Moreso, I's be a scams artist thats will takes yours moneys and runs with it alls the ways to South Africas.

LOL [ROTFL] wow... are you two related? Becuase you've got that down pretty well!

quote:

Originally posted by dressagewannabe:

quote:

Originally posted by meg_k_2007:

LOL
[ROTFL]
wow... are you two related? Becuase you've got that down pretty well!

I's bes not self-related to any saids Jude...

Please Please PLEASE!!!! Pass this on to every one you know. This is definately a SCAM. I see them every day. And they arent just looking for horses. They will try to buy anything.. and I mean ANYTHING! You will either get a stolen credit card or cashiers check that wont go through, or if the credit card would go through, its someone elses money they are using to pay, the cashiers check might go through at first, but once the bank realizes it s not good they will then come after you for the money and by then you will be out the money and what ever you sold to them. And GOD only knows where the item you sold goes. This has been all over the news for quite some time and even Dateline NBC has been doing some shows about it. Please be very very careful. And tell every one you know to be careful too. Good luck and take care all.

That definatly sounds like a scam, but I just wanted to add that buying a horse without riding it is not that unususual. I live in Hawaii and LOTS of folks buy horses from the continental U.S. and ship them over via boat or airplane.

BUT they certainly don't write emails like the one you got. That email is just shady. (What the heck is "Self-riding" anyways!) People here in Hawaii talk to the seller directly on the phone, though I don't know how the money payment works out. Personally, I don't think I'd sell my horse w/o having the person ride either. Also, without riding the horse, the only thing these people have to go on is a video of the horse being ridden, and I've seen some horses that the only way they could be the same horse on the video is through some very creative video editing! KInd of off-subject but my perspective on it.

quote:

Originally posted by Kudasai:

[QB]That definatly sounds like a scam, but I just wanted to add that buying a horse without riding it is not that unususual. I live in Hawaii and LOTS of folks buy horses from the continental U.S. and ship them over via boat or airplane.

QB]

I agree, there are times when people buy horses that they have never ridden. I wouldn't, and I refuse to sell my horse that way, but it's not too uncommon. I can only see that happening though if they were spending real money on a horse, and if the horse would have some great end result. I am only asking $4000 for mine, and he is never going to be some huge winner, or make the person any money of any kind. I just kind of think it would be pointless for a person to buy him without riding him. Also, he is high strung, I will not sell him to someone who can't handle him, and the only way for me to know is for them to come out and ride.