Sign in to follow this  
smithereens_86

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 16!!

quote:

Originally posted by O- -O Lightning Strikes Twice O- -O:

Lauren - Yay! end of semester! I'm glad Scotch has stayed sound, and was a good swimming pony
[Razz]
Did you get the job?!?! True dedication I tell ya, getting on HC before listening to your messages.
[ROTFL]

Holy - HAHA I have to do a 10 minute speech on potato moths and now I'm going to have to contain my laughter. What a mental picture! Armageddon potato moth style! Sorry about the pup. I hope Fleck thoroughly enjoyed his day of pampering! Hehe and massaging on a regular basis, what more could he want.Tee hee. Poor Roany, I hope she feels better all drugged up, and recovers quickly.

Lisa - Wow, you have a lot going on at the moment girl! Good luck with it all! I much prefer science to other airy fairy subjects, what kind of fun science are you doing??

Emily - Hehe he does doesn't he. He's such a
dignified
soul. Hehe I love him. I LOVE Lipton's socks, they are to die for!! Some great photos in that bunch! All 3 of you look great! I hope you feel better soon. Wow, what a small world, fancy someone recognising Lipton!

Boocoo - I'm glad Beau is better! Haha We probably do need a new thread
[Cool]
Not that there's too much chatting going on.

McKenzie - Your school gets out on my brother's birthday hehe. I don't know what I would do with summer holidays in the middle of the year
[Question]

Anyway, nothing new here really, rode my pony again yesterday. I love him, haha, doesn't everyone say that. It's so easy just to set him going and forget to do anything.
[Cool]

Hope everyone has a great day/night/whatever time it is there!
[big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Vegas Sky:

Okay, so I am WAAAAYYY behind!! I am just going to briefly comment...

Emily: I looked at the pictures of your show and they are FABULOUS!! Congrats on everything!!

Lauren: OMG!!!! The kitties are SOOOOO CUTE!!!! I want to get another kitty so bad, but I can't since I am moving in less than three months!

That brings up another point - Holy peanut butter, I move in three months!! I have so much to do before then!! It seems like it was yesterday that I had eight months...oh well, that's the way it rolls I guess.

Vegas is doing super good, even though she was a little owie on Boo Boo Leg after our galloping sets yesterday. It was the first time she has even thought about being lame since going back to work, but I put liniment on it and gave her some bute and she felt much better when we longed today. I think she will be fine for our lesson tomorrow.

I had a good mom's day weekend, I taught my mom to drive - a horse that is, Vegas was very cooperative the whole time. I had her take some pics for me afterward.

-

My pretty girl...

-

Hee hee, she likes to show off

-

I love this picture, and the jingle bells around her neck that I got for her at an amish harness shop when we went to visit my school.

So that's pretty much all that's going on here, I am going to Redmond this weekend, which is in the central part of the state, about three hours away. I am going there for high school equestrian state, since my team is competing. That will be fun, but Dad has to take care of the horses and longe Vegas...it will be interesting, but I'm sure he will do just fine.

Okay, now I have to finish the Idol results show...SEND JORDIN HOME!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by KrazyTBMare:

I swear I have been trying to get caught up. Ugh. Maybe this weekend? Sigh. I dont know.

I just went downstairs to get a drink and looked outside for the horses. They are laying down under the pole with the light. I can see Layla laying down but still upright, but Ben was laying flat out. I could only tell it was him b/c I saw his white markings. Its just.. calming to look out my kitchen window and see that. Makes all the extra work worth it.
[smile]

Today I had to go get hay and feed. I have been thinking about getting a compressed block of hay for a while but have only known to get them in Ocala which is a bit of a haul. But when I drove into the feed store today, I saw someone moving those blocks around! So we had some here. I inquired about them and found out he had quite a few alfalfa blocks and 2 T/A blocks. I normally feed T/A so was going to do that but had heard and the feed store owner also told me that the T/A isnt as compressed so the horses can eat it faster and since its not as compressed if it rains it gets wet. I figured the alfalfa would be more expensive but it would be worth it. But nope! I got the alfalfa block for the same price as the T/A!! $105! Thats 750 lbs of alfalfa for $105!! Thats 15 50lbs bales. If I got 15 T/A bales, thats over $180. so I know if I got 15 alfalfa bales Id spend a HECK of a lot more. I went ahead and got a few T/A regular bales for the stalls.

When I got home, Man those horses were yelling about the hay. We tied a rope around the pallet that the block was on and then the other piece around the telephone pole and drove the truck off and PLOP the pallet and block are on the ground. It landed about 3/4 of the ways on the pallet. So we tied the rope around the bale and tried to slide it all the way on the pallet, but it tipped over and rolled off!! Luckily my step dad and myself were able to roll the block over and get it on the pallet with no problems. I let the horses out and they went GALLOPING to the block. It was so funny. They were trying so hard to chow down and couldnt. Ben kept trying to chase Layla away but she just moved to the other side so he was getting mad. Quite funny.

Ive been on vacation from work since last Wednesday. Gotta go to work tomorrow. Blah. At least only 2 days this week.

Sunday The Moms is finally going to use her Sky Diving certificate and jump at 9am if the wind stays calm. Crazy woman. But more power to her. You only have one life and if she wants to do it, WTG.

Geezus. Its 240 and I have to get up at 9! I really have READ the updates just havent replied. I saw the show results, and the pics, and that injuries are healing, and crazy school stuffs, etc. I swear Im reading!!

Ill try my best to get caught up soon guys. Promises!

night.

PHEW!! OK, now that THAT is taken care of, now for my catch up AND update!!!! [big Grin]

Holly – I believe the directions on the Quicksilver actually say 15-20 minutes or something along those lines (though it has been a really super long time since I have read them), so I figure after I lather up all the “spots” on Raz, I give it another 10 minutes to set, then rinse. We have so much ICK going around up here in the way of Scratches and other fungus type stuff, that I bathe Raz in an anti-bacterial shampoo just to kill the ickies off, then wash to spots in Quicksilver. I do condition his tail with Suave Lavender Conditioner though, so we get the nice lavender smell as well. I’m sure our boys REALLY appreciate smelling like lavender!! HA!!! Yeah, hard to remember to KEEP riding when you don’t have your trainer standing there constantly reminding you every stride. If you are getting to the point that you get it for a stride or two, then lose it, but know when you’ve lost it, then you are making great progress. You are on the right road. Those “moments” will start to last longer and longer. Instead of just a stride or two, they will turn into a half circle, then a whole circle, etc. Just keep plugging away. HA!!! You are supposed to ASK your trainer when you start a new movement, what the proper aids are. She can actually, come and put hands on and walk you through it. You aren’t expected to just KNOW all this stuff in advance. As a general rule, in the lateral movements, your rein aids correct the shoulders and your legs will control the swing of the haunches. Think of dividing your horse in half – what goes wrong in front of the saddle, fix with the reins, what goes wrong behind the saddle, fix with the leg. That isn’t ALWAYS the case, but in most instances, that will work when you are sitting there and something goes wrong, and you are panicking, and you are trying to figure out if it is a half halt or a leg that you need to fix what is going wrong in the lateral movement. Go with that general rule, then ask your trainer what you should have done to fix it!!! Nope, Raz is nothing fancy. Just a regular old Paint. In fact, I got him at an auction house!! HA!!!! I would upload tons of video for you, but my video camera is WAY old, as in not digital, and doesn’t upload to the computer. No, no, no, Julie and I do not want to GIVE a clinic!! I want to RIDE in a clinic!! HA!! HA!! Nice try though!!! Yes, the one migraine I do get now is tied to that time of the month, BUT since I was getting them 4-5 times a week prior to going on the Topamax, and now they are down to just one a month, I can live with that, and I really don’t want to risk changing any of my meds for fear of making them worse rather than better if you know what I mean!!! Ooohhh, weird incident with the guy and the camera at the gas station. Would have freaked me out as well. Glad to hear you were still able to have a good lesson despite that incident. YEAH, great game plan for warming up at shows. That’s what I do – warm up, rest, then warm up again during the last ride or two rides right before my ride so that I go directly from warm up straight into the ring. It is impossible to go from standing around into the ring and do anything productive. I can’t believe your dr so totally blew you off like that. Try what she gave you, but definitely consider going to the neurologist. I hate when drs do that. I can understand her turning you down flat had you been asking for some hard core narcotic pain killer, but that totally isn’t what this med is. She should have at least heard you out. Makes me wonder if she is aware of the Topamax studies and the success other drs have had using it to treat migraines??? Ahh, don’t worry about the mistakes at work – you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t make mistakes on occasion!! Good luck at the show!! So glad to hear that you have figured out your SI – just don’t forget about your outside leg totally now. You still need it to control the haunches from falling OUT towards the rail in the SI. Place your outside leg on and be prepared to use it if he starts to drift with the haunches. And now that you really think you HAVE it, take him OFF the rail and onto the second track where you don’t have the benefit of the wall/fence to hold his haunches from falling out, and THEN ask for your SI. You better have that outside leg on and ready to work, or you are in big trouble!!!! Oooohhh, a spa day for Fleck, NICE!!!! Bet he really appreciated that. The cheap homedics massager is a fantastic idea. I might do that myself for Razzle. Poor Roany. I always just soak in Epsom salts, but the rotation idea sounds like a good plan as well. Hopefully she feels better soon.

Megan – HA, Vegas looks pretty content as a saddleseat mount!! Glad to hear the vet doesn’t think she needs another soundness exam. Hope your knees are feeling better – they sound very painful. Congrats on the successful water schooling with Vegas. Great pics of Vegas!!! She looks adorable all hitched up to the cart.

Shantel – Sounds like you are making great progress with the fencing and pastures. YIKES, those fires sounds way too close for comfort. Very scary. Glad to hear you got the second kitty. They are so cute in pairs. Fingers crossed Layla’s second culture comes back clean. Sounds like you got a great deal on the block of alfalfa. I’ve never even heard of hay coming like that.

Lauren – You really had a clinician of that caliber tell you the outside leg goes forward in SI?? Wow!! I have NEVER heard that instruction ever, and I started off in eventing as well. That is so odd. If you don’t put your outside leg slightly back and on, you have NO control over the haunches to prevent them from drifting out and hence simply turning the movement into a leg yield down the rail instead of a true SI. I wonder where that outside leg forward thing came from??? Oh, yes, we have gotten 9’s for the final halt/salute at both schooling and rated shows. Doesn’t happen every time, but it has happened several times now. He just REALLY likes that final movement and tries his little heart out on it – almost always nails a square halt. I just try to stay out of his way!!! Oh, wait for this – my lesson this weekend, we are working counter canter around the arena. I’m working SOOOO hard on getting a really nice counter canter, that it doesn’t really occur to me that I am being tricked when Julie yells out, “Ride your serpentine.” I just think, sure fine. Start in on the serpentine, I’m almost all the way through the second loop thinking, “WOW, that loop was WAY easier than it normally is.” When it FINALLY dawned on me that I was in the middle loop and on the TRUE lead because I had started in COUNTER canter and now I had to go BACK to COUNTER canter. So instead of the serpentine being true canter, counter canter, true canter – it was counter canter, true canter, counter canter. OMG!!! Did that ever raise the difficulty level of the serpentine. We managed it no problem, but I felt totally tricked by Julie when I finished it!!! HA!!! Glad to hear Scotch is going well. Any idea yet what has been making him unsound?? Ara, the 14yo, wants us to get him Guitar Hero, and we are refusing. He has been taking guitar lessons for a year and a half now and has a REAL talent for it. He just decided to quit for the summer because he is “bored” with the guitar and would rather us get him Guitar Hero. Yeah, I don’t think so!!! We spend $1500 on a Martin guitar for him for Christmas, and he wants to toss it aside in favor of an X-box game?? So not going to happen!!!! Be careful with that game. I’ve heard it causes some severe tendonitis which is another reason why I refuse to buy it for the child. If it is “bridle lameness” and not “true lameness” causing Scotch to be unsound, then changing bits or even going to a hackamore will not solve the issue. What causes the bridle lameness is that the horse gets behind the leg, and even slightly too much tension in the contact on the rein will then block the shoulder causing the horse to “appear” lame. If you think Scotch is going rein lame during a ride, THROW YOUR REINS AWAY, totally, and completely, both of them, throw them away, and ride that pony forward, forward, forward and straight as an arrow all the way around the ring, no circles. Get his booty moving. Really moving. Post the trot, post it BIG. Really make him move like you have never made him move before. Not lengthened or medium – just FORWARD. Go, go, go!!! Don’t touch those reins. Around and around the entire arena until the lameness disappears. It may take several laps, but if it is rein lameness, that will make it go away. The HARD part is picking your reins back up and not bringing the “lameness” back again. Whatever you do, when you pick those reins back up, DO NOT lose that forward, in front of the leg energy that you just worked so hard to create. All that lateral work that you are doing really invites the horse to suck back behind the leg, and especially if you have stopped working on mediums, you are no longer getting breaks to “refresh” the gait and get him back out in front of your leg. I totally understand why you have backed off on working the mediums, but you need to intersperse them with the lateral work as a “gait refresher” to prevent Scotch from getting behind your leg, so you need to get this sorted out asap so that you can get back to working your mediums into your routine. Nope, don’t watch Heroes. Only catch House occasionally, but not on a regular basis.

Boocoo – Definitely don’t send any more money to that show if they aren’t going to refund you money after you sent along a vet certificate proving Beau was not capable of doing the show. You know, at SOME POINT this summer, one of us will get to a show!!!! Oooohhh, Debbie McDonald?? I’m totally jealous. Sounds like a blast. We’ll expect a full report. Glad to hear you are finally riding again. Raz is the same way – if you ride when he is hurting, then give him time off to heal, when you try to ride again, he will still be resistant like he is still hurting even though he is fine. I agree with you, try to ride Beau through this a few more times before heading back to the vet. I really think this “pain memory” rather than “real pain” that is causing the resistance. You have a nice thoughtful way of encouraging Beau to test himself and his pain threshold, but he has to be pushed through that a little so that he can realize that he really is okay. If he is still really hurting, you will realize it within a few rides. He will either work it out in his head that he is fine and get nice and soft and forward again, or the resistance will get continually worse. Good luck and keep us posted.

Emily – Glad to hear State went well. Glad to hear Devonwood went so well. Sounds like you and Lipton are bonding really well. That is FANTASTIC news about your freestyle!! So glad to hear the new music was such a hit. Congratulations!!!! Great scores both days!!! Well done. GREAT PICS!!! Lipton and Inky look fabulous!! Didn’t like how the photographer kept angling some of Lipton’s pics either up or DOWN!! What’s up with that?? Lipton is uphill enough that he certainly doesn’t need any photo help, and why on earth would you ever want to downhill slant a pic?? That was just weird. He still looked fabulous though!! Some really great shots in there. Looks like the beginning a really great partnership. Love those four white stockings!! How weird that the judge knew Lipton from the Netherlands!! Sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well. Hopefully it isn’t something too serious.

McKenzie – That is GREAT news that you are moving back to Patty’s. I’m sure you are thrilled. What a fantastic opportunity for you. Congrats!!! Wow, already planning shows for Nugget!! That is fantastic. Can’t wait to hear all about them. Oooh, I hate when schedules get mixed up and your ride has to be cancelled. That is so irritating. Yes, it is just one ride, but I know how frustrating it can be. I had sort of similar miscommunication between Julie, one of her other students and myself a couple of weekends back, and when it all worked itself out, turned out the other student fully booked Julie’s lesson calendar all weekend, and Julie didn’t have time for my normal lesson, so I was going to have to miss my normal weekly lesson. I was less than pleased to say the least. Julie and I did manage to work something out, but it wasn’t easy. Glad to hear you got your entry confirmation for the June show. At least someone’s show circuits are busy this year!!! Ours are still dead. I’m wondering if the price of gas is scaring some people off of showing this year – too expensive to haul. Ooohh, another neat project. The TB sounds like she will be fun.

Lisa/LST – Glad to hear you are feeling better. I hate when you drive all that way and the store doesn’t have what you wanted. At least Lightening has his blanket now though. Love the new blanket!! Looks great on Lightening. Glad to hear the lesson went well.

Lisa/Kyalii – Good luck with everything you have going on – sounds like you are VERY busy!!

My saddle has been in need of reflocking, so I finally had the saddle guy out to adjust it yesterday. Took the whole day off of work for a “barn day”. The saddle guy came in the morning and checked my saddle. He checked Raz, looked at my saddle, then saddled Raz (no pads) and had me ride him for him to make an assessment. Now this is the saddle that I bought for my PREVIOUS horse, and I have never had it adjusted at all. I’ve had the saddle for oooohhhh, 6 and a half, 7 years now, give or take!!! So I KNOW it needs adjusting. I was fully prepared to be well scolded yesterday, but it wasn’t bad. The saddle guy was actually FLOORED that a) the saddle was NOT purchased for Raz, and B) it has NEVER been adjusted. He said that really it isn’t it that bad of shape, and fits Raz really, really well – though he confirmed my opinion that Raz is a super easy fit – pretty much anything I bought as long as the tree size was right, would fit him. So he reflocked the saddle, which was all it needed to be rebalanced, then had me saddle up (with my saddle pad, but no half pad as I don’t need it now) and ride again. OMG!!! Feels like a completely different saddle. Sits me down in a totally different part of the saddle and doesn’t pitch me forward anymore, and I feel so much closer, more connected to him. Had a not so great lesson after the saddle fitting though. Not sure if it was just that my timing was off yesterday, or if he was just cranky from being tacked/untacked/tacked and ridden so many times. Each ride for the saddle guy was only 5-10 minutes, but he got saddled and unsaddled several times, then got an hour’s rest before getting saddled for the lesson, so by that time, he was probably sick of being dragged into the ring to be ridden. OR perhaps it is because we have done away with the half pad – maybe he just likes the added cushion that the half pad offers or perhaps now I really am more connected so that when I use my seat and back my aids are suddenly TOO loud and obnoxious because it seemed like he was overreacting to my seat aids yesterday, then I got flustered and backed off, or got the timing of my rein aids thrown off, and everything just got out of whack. Took half the lesson before we worked it out and “connected” for real. Then things were fine. Julie said she couldn’t tell if it was me having an off day, him having an off day or him missing the half pad – I never discussed the possibility of my aids being too loud without the half pad with her. She told me to try riding tonight first without the half pad. If he is fussy and unwilling to connect after half the ride, get off, put the half pad on, and see if that changes anything or not, then call her to discuss. I guess we just keep experimenting until we figure this out. ??? Just hope I sort it out before Saturday since I have a clinic with Barend on Saturday. YIKES!!!! He’ll understand though, and I’ll get a chance to actually sit and discuss all of this with him before my ride anyway so perhaps he will have some ideas as well.

~Shelly~

McKenzie - You sure are one busy girl!! You are going to have a great summer with all those horses to ride. What a fantastic opportunity for you. Believe it or not, it only cost me $95 to have all that work done on my saddle. I was thrilled that he did such a comprehensive adjustment for such an inexpensive price. That is pretty much the going rate here for a saddle adjustment. Well worth it!!!

~Shelly~

Shelly - Wow!! I was thinking it would've been much more expensive. I will definitely have to look into that for my saddle. And no kidding, I will definitely be busy [Razz] - but I am excited!!

I get my Driver's License in November...it's closer to December, but that's when I turn 16. I am going to either drive my stepdad's old turqoise Ford Ranger or my sister's Infiniti G20t...she is going to the University of Portland for Nursing school (it starts this August), and it is a policy that Freshman cannot drive, so I may have that for one year. I'd just get KILLED by my parents and sister if I did anything to her car, so we'll see....

I had my Driver's Ed final test yesterday. We had to get an 80% or higher to pass, and I got 90%. I have one more class this coming Wednesday, and the local Coroner is coming to talk. Won't exactly be fun, but it's just one more class so I will live through it.

[smiley Wavey]

Wow. You guys are seriously impressive. I don't know WHEN I last updated, so I'll give you a quick rundown about what has being going down. I have a huge Biology test tomorrow (7 Chapters) so I can't go back, read and then respond to everyone.

Well, if I remember correctly, I haven't updated since three Tuesdays ago. [Eek!] Well, for the rest of that week, on that Wednesday, and Friday, I don't remember, I rode both the ponies. Gayla was...Gayla-ish. We had really good moments and not-so-pretty moments. So afterwards, I would relax by going bareback on Spectrum, which includes cantering and jumping him bareback for the first time! It was great, and reminded *why* I do what I do. On that Friday, Gayla was good but I think I was paranoid about her being possibly lame so I cut that ride short.

On that Sunday, I had THE BEST LESSON on Gayla. By the end, she was trotting around on the buckle! I kid you not! And then we cantered SUPER nicely and quietly and then, we asked, went STRAIGHT back down to a stretchy, play-with-the-bit trot. It was amazing. Unforunately, I wouldn't be able to ride her or Spectrum for another week due to lovely, lovely, AP European History and it oh-so-enjoyable testing. I'm going to encourage the don't ask don't tell policy on you---you don't ask, I won't tell! [Wink]

So, now, this PAST Sunday, I was being super-mommy and wouldn't trot Gayla because I was worried about one of her hooves. So we walked around, and up and down the driveway super calmly by ourselves. This past Tuesday, however? We just didn't. Just didn't. Didn't cooperate, didn't focus, didn't work, didn't stay patient, it was just bad all around. My poor friend had to be witness to my cursing and frustration.

Ah, but along came Thursday (aka, today)! We scheduled a lesson today since my trainer will be gone all weekend. It wasn't our best ride, but it could have been worse. I wish it was so, so, SO much better because OnceWasTag witnessed it and I wanted very badly for us to prove to her the progress Gayla and yours truly have made. It was the first time she saw me ride Gayla. *shrugs* I rode like crap. Ah, well, you live and you learn. I don't know what happened. In that last Sunday lesson, my leg was okay. Today? Out afront of me like nobody's business. And the more I tried, the more my riding fell apart. It didn't help that Gayla wouldn't stretch down and use her back, or that crazy-lady-who-is-terribly-rude-to-me was watching---and commenting---on my lesson. Okay, no more excuses! I just need to ride her better. This lesson, and all that it encompassed will be in a seperate post--can't you tell a rant is needed? [Razz]

Then Spectrum and I bopped around bareback. He was lazzzzyyyy today. Then a photoshoot! [Yay] He was ADORABLE! One day I will have evidence, my dears, that Gayla and I make a good team. It is just a far bit away. [Wink]

Megan - OMG! Vegas looks so cute! Want a mini that you can drive?! He's for saaale

Shelly - Eww, Saddle reflocking... so not fun... but so good, at the same time!

McKenzie - Yeah, I'm pretty sure that we're not allowed to ride stallions... We're totally in the same EQ class! Hee!

That's about all I remember... Ponies were good today, Lipton's getting vac's tomorow. We all got body worked today and I got treated for Chronic Fatigue Syndrom, so hopefully I won't be so gosh darn tired anymore.

I really need to make some flyers for Xander and put him on Dream horse... [Frown] I know I really don't want to because I don't want to sell him, but I know I have to... That's why I bought him... Gah, this is gonna be hard... at least I'll put the baby up in utero so I don't have a big chance to get that attached to it. That and a Capone baby should sell pretty fast, whether it's in utero or not.

Ok i'm totally freaking now.

I'm in all honesty really considering about taking Scotch to the New Bolten Center.

Seriously can my day get any more worse?!

There's no way that this is a bridle lameness anymore. It possibly was at some point but even if my trainer gets on him there is still the uneven trotwork. And she rides him forward!

On the lunge line he will do it as well. But if I give him a gram of bute he'll be sound...another reason why I have a feeling its not a bridle issue. So yesterday halfway through the ride he went uneven. And it really occured after the canter work...and I don't find myself not riding him forward. He's great from behind, very active and even. So i'm like ok loose rein lets see how you are. Well he was still icky and uneven. I'm downloading the video that one of the ladies took for me, then emailing it to the vet. Will talk to vet tomorrow and see if she thinks I should take him to New Bolten Center. Not like I have the money to take him there, but if I have to go into debt to get this pony sound then so be it. It's the dang front left leg. At one point it almost looked like it could be in the shoulder. *sighs* I need to destress right now...*thinks Martini...maybe just straight up Vodka*

*inhales deeply* Shelly I will PM this to you. But I'm pretty sure this is no longer a bridle issue...Blah.

3-Day, I feel your pain. Best of luck with finding out why Scotch is lame and getting him healed. I am having the vet out tomorrow to look at Fessor. Fess has been lame for the past week and a half. I gave him a week off, then called the doc for an appointment. He is weight bearing, but visibly off at the walk. [Frown] The vet has me soaking with warm water and epsom salts in case it is an abcess. I can see where Fess bumped himself on the r/f cannon bone, and that is the leg he is limping on. Three things I do NOT want to hear -- cracked anything, suspensory, or DDFT. I don't think he looks lame enough for any of these options, but he's been off long enough that I asked the vet to bring out their radiograph machine.

Tomorrow afternoon, I am leaving to groom at a horse show. So I probably won't be on again until Sunday morning. I doubt I will be able to update before then. In the meantime I will be working and camping out in the travel trailer. [smile]

Tracy

Lauren - That definitely is not sounding like bridle lameness. If it is happening on the longe and bute cures it, then it is a pain issue not a bridle lameness issue. Sounds like you need to have the vet start progressively blocking the leg starting low and working her way up to find out where the issue is so that you can get him sorted out once and for all. Either that or some sort of ultrasound/scan to see what is going on in there. Something definitely is not right. So sorry. I was REALLY hoping it was just bridle lameness and not true lameness. [Huggy]

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by 3DayEventer:

Shelly- Check your PMs
[smile]

I did, but nothing had come through yet. ?? I have to head to bed because I have to get up at 5:30am tomorrow to go to work early, but I will be back on early tomorrow morning. I'll check back in with you then.

~Shelly~

I should be in the shower and doing HW, so no time but to respond to Lauren...I am SO sorry hon, that is scary [Huggy] Keep us updated, I will send healing thoughts and prayers [Angel]

Lauren - OMG! I'm sorry. [Frown] -sends Lauren some Vodka... or maybe everclear...- Hope he feels better soon. [Huggy] Once you figure out the souce I might be able to help by suggesting some products, but I need to know where the source is first.

I was going to update with some news about our upcoming show... but reading Laurens issues with Scotch, I'm thinking now's not the time. [Question]

Lauren!!! Pooey Sticks!!!! I really hope you find out what is going on and that it is something easily cured....I know how you feel, believe me! Hopefully you won't have to go into debt and your regular vet can get him feeling all better! Good Luck!!! [Huggy][Huggy]

So it is waaayyy to late to post to everyone, and I am leaving for Redmond tomorrow. I *should* get wifi at the fairgrounds, but we will see. So if you don't hear from me till Monday, no worries. Leave the searchdogs at home till Wednesday - I have a lesson Thursday!

aaccck! you guys were busy. unfortunately this is another "no time to really post" but......

lauren: I really really hope scotch is okay. crossing my fingers and saying a prayer for you guys. let us know how it goes.

tracy: hope fess is sound soon too.

shelly: figuring it out.... he's responding to my seat really well but i still find that outside leg creepign forward. and today we had a lesson. did some renvers...whatever that word is!! one day i'll figure it out. just baby ones. basically we did haunches in but....with the bend to the outside instead of the inside. it was hard!! but yeah... then we were working on our upward transitions cause fleck feels the need to throw up his head.... silly boy! i'm sure i'm causing it somehow. so we got him really nice at the trot, with a nice shoulder in and then it's prettier. but my leg kept sneaking forward to get that shoulder over (EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT"S NOT SUPPOSED TOO!!) and then when i would slide it back some to ask for the canter, he'd prop that shoulder back out. argh... but we did get better once i focused more on my seat instead of my legs. so we're getting there [smile]

what else....i'm too tired to remember. i'll go back later i promise!! i've just had a busy week getting ready for the show, working, getting new trailer tires [smile] and such. and it's 3 am now and i'm finally getting tired. the new migraine med worked, but... i think it's got me all hyper til now. and...i took it at the first cringe of a headache. so... but it was only $5 for 20 pills with insurance so even if i use 20 a month.. it's affordable [smile]

what else.....hope the show went well emily.

i'll try to get pics from mine. hopefully i can manage to keep the awesome fleck once the bell rings and not do "eventing dressage" hee hee.

good luck tracy and lauren. i'm thinking happy thoughts for you. also keep me in mind too! roany pony is sore and i'm HOPING it's an abscess or a bruise. she's not as lame as she was last time she had an abscess, but...she's foundered before and it always strikes fear into me when she gets slightly off. no digital pulses yet and she's only laid down twice which was right after the farrier, so... hopefully it's just a bruise or a very slow wimpy abcess. must be the weather.

anyways, again.....let us know lauren. we want that fancy scotchy boy sound and happy.!!

oh, yeah....fancy driving vegas! i love the bells.

kay....off to bed now...

Lauren, So sorry to hear about Scotch! [Frown] I hope you get it all figured out soon. Jingles for you both!!

I am just popping in before dinner. Vet called me this morning with the 2nd culture results for Layla. Shes totally clean! There is one coccalitis thing in there but its just a containminate and nothing serious. So I gave her the shot to bring her back into heat tonight and we plan to breed Thurs or Friday! YAY!

On the other hand.. I have this like.. pimple thats not a pimple on my chin. Its under the skin with no head. Its just an infection. And its like the size of a silver dollar. It is causing my entire jaw to hurt so my mom, husband, and coworkers made me go to the Dr today. She said its good I came b/c if I hadnt by Monday it would have spread all over my lower jaw. So Im on Celephlexian *sp* 4x a day for 10 days. I am going back Monday for a follow up. It hurts SO bad. Its like getting punched in the face, I imagine. Its starting to go down my left side of my jaw and omg. I couldnt even open my mouth to bite a donut this morning. I have to keep warm compresses on it or stand with my face under the faucet as hot as it will go. Not fun. Its always something with me. *sigh*

I will get back on later to read everything up respond. Off to get dinner! Or at least attempt to eat.

Shelly, glad you got your saddle re-flocked. It is amazing what a saddle can do when it fits.

3day, I hope you get Scotch figured out soon says Boocoo, as she wonders why Spotatx knows anything about Everclear? [Crazy][Confused]

Well Beau is just not doing any better. I have finally come to the conclusion that it is his back heels. The shoer was starting to get them up a tad higher, but then we have not made any more progress. In fact it has gotten worse. I started having these resistance problems in Cal. I had a new shoer shoe him the one time and he started to do great, then we moved here and this shoer has done him, 4 times now and he is getting worse again. He was supposed to come shoe him today, but I called him and told him not to come. My trainers shoer is coming next week, so we are going to give him a shot. He needs some support on those back feet and I know he is not going to work till he gets it, so I am only light longing every other day right now and of course he gets his huge pasture turn out 24/7 when the weather is good.

Off to the Debbie McDonald clinic to audit tomorrow. The first rider is a GP rider, so should be very interesting. I will report back tomorrow evening some time.

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

3day, I hope you get Scotch figured out soon says Boocoo, as she wonders why Spotatx knows anything about Everclear?
[Crazy][Confused]

Hahaha, I've never had it, I swear! My parents don't drink a lot, but my trainer drinks, and I live in the land of Wineries, so we talk about Alcohol in general a lot (It's not a joke, I swear, there's like... 10 of them within 10 minutes of my house) Oooh Debbie McDonald! It's so much fun to watch her teach! She wanted to take the GP horse home in the clinic of hers I audited. Hehe! Have fun!

Lauren - Still sending [Huggy] and [Angel] for you and Scotch.

dobby - Good to see you back! Jumping bareback. Hah. I'm not sure I will ever have the pain tolerance to do that, LOL. Sorry to hear about the bad rides, but sometimes they are good as you learn how to better handle those days. Remember you still have those good rides where you get THAT feeling, and then you strive to re-establish that. We need pictures now [big Grin]

Emily - Yeah, I looked it up in the USEF Rule book, and I cannot ride him in the Eq. class. Oh well, because I already signed Teddy and I up for that class at the Champagne Classic (which is the show Nugget is going to). I can however ride a stallion in any other test/class, so that's good to know. Hope the body work made a difference! Awww, sorry to hear about selling Xander, but I have a feeling it will give you really valuable experience, even though I know it will be very hard.

Tracy - Jingles for Fess! [Huggy] and [Angel] for you too! Have a good time at the show.

Shantel - OUCH. Omg. So glad you went to the Doctor when you did, that sounds super painful.

Boocoo - I am so sorry to hear that. It's really frustrating...crossing my fingers this farrier will be able to get him on the right track. Have a wonderful time at the Debbie McDonald clinic, bet it will be awesome [smile]

Nothing really new here. Nugget's owner and I are going up to where two of her ponies are in training so she can get videos and pictures for her website. I may hop on one of the ponies too, depending on how her training has been going. It's a fairly well known dressage/eventing trainer (I think), whom I've never met, so it should be fun. Tomorrow I am riding Teddy as I desperately need to, he's been "neglected" riding-wise this week, much to his dismay... [Wink] . I need to get my butt in gear for the upcoming show. Plus I am riding him at the schooling show (hopefully) on June 9th, so I need to run through Second Level Test 1.

Have a nice day everyone!

Edited due to grammar errors...

[ 05-19-2007, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

I am done with everything! Well not everything, but this past week is over with and I survived and successfully at that!

I won 2 awards at our senior awards night, a science and an english one. That was cool. Our band concert was amazing - it was so sad though. I didn't realise how much I'm going to miss band until the curtain closed. I was like, ready to cry. I won an outstanding senior award there too, and nailed my pretty gorgeous amazing solo

AND, I passed my C-1! Yay me!

I don't stand a chance of catching up... because I'm bad at the chit chat thread, thats why. -fail-

Sooooo I sort of have a decision to make, in the near future anyways.

As you/most of you know, I am going back to my trainer Patty's to help her, ride her horses, and be closer to Nugget and his owner's other ponies, and Alibi (who I am trying to sell). I am riding him 3x per week in exchange for Ali's board so that works out nicely. I am going to be very busy, as I will have about 3 horses at Carolyn's (Nugget's owners name) to ride/train, and then a lot to do at Patty's too. There is a possibility that there will be multiple FEI/Grand Prix dressage horses coming up for full leases at the barn I just moved to, which I am leaving early June. They are all quality, older mounts (WB's I believe) who have the talent and obviously training to do Junior YR's and YR's (NAJC and NAYRC). This has been a goal of mine for quite some time, but one I thought may be unreachable due to the lack of funds my parents have to purchase a horse of that caliber, so leasing one would be a great opportunity. These horses have done/did solid GP, but since they are older they no longer do that high of work, but are totally fine for the 4th level/PSG. I just do not know how I would manage all this time wise. I am getting my license this November, so I will be able to drive myself, but training and riding for YR's seems like it would be a full time deal, and training other horses does too.

I can't really bounce around and CHANGE barns...the barn where Nugget/ponies are is only 5-8 minutes away from Patty's, and then the other stable, Miari, which I am leaving early June, is about 20 minutes away from Patty and Nugget's barn. But again, we're talking about a lot of time.

I feel like I keep repeating myself, so sorry if I am, it just seems like such a tough decision, or do I even need to make one? Can I do both??

Eeeek. I know you guys can't answer this for me, and it's not like I need to make a decision right now, but it's something I need to keep in mind and start forming plans.

What are your opinions and thoughts? Thanks all...

Thanks all for your support! You really don't know how much it means to be able to be grounded from ya'll after I freak out. I'll keep ya'll updated...hopefully vet will come out this week.

McKenzie- That is a tough decision and one that you already know you have to figure out. You will have to do some very hardcore time management to be able to fit it all in. Will you still be showing Teddy if you are leasing another horse? If so will your parents help back you? When are you hoping to try out for the team? It's a feasible goal [smile] But before I stand on my soap box of advice lol...I want to see when you want to go out for the time. Then you ca play off from that. Have you talked to your trainer about it?

All right, I have time for a quick update before I pass out. The show was lots of fun, everyone came home with something (ribbon), and the young greenie at his first show was absolutely fantastic! Fessor has an abcess. So we wrapped the hoof with diaper and a bit of water to draw out the abcess and bring it to a head. He's walking better this evening. Tomorrow, we start soaking with warm water and epsom salts. Of all the things that could have caused prolonged ouchiness, an abcess is rather tame. And thankfully very treatable. I'll have to quit doubting the vet when she says it sounds like an abcess...

Tracy