Sign in to follow this  
smithereens_86

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 16!!

McKenzie - It's probably because it's a bunch of Jr/YR's in the same arena trying to manuver their horses around each other. [Razz] Ewwww, second 1... As for your decision... IMO you should try to lease one of the Upper Level horses. If you can find Alibi a good home it'll really help. But if you're given the opportunity to lease an FEI horse, go for it. I was lucky enough to have one purchased for me, but we started looking for leases and there were none out there. It's a wonderful opportunity to be able to ride an FEI horse, espicially since your goals are NAJC/NAYRC. And besides, What would the Region 6 team be without Emily, McKenzie, and Maya? Gosh. [Wink] OH, and I forgot to post this on the other thread, so I'll do it here. Did you hear about the Rhino/Flu outbreak at the track? All horses going to Donida have to have proof of vaccination for Flu/Rhino within the last 60 days. Icky.

Lisa - YAY! Flute Solo! And I love your geekieness with your encyclopedia of Science and Technology. 'nuff said.

Tracy - Good to hear everyone did well at the show! Sorry about Fessor's abcess, it'll get better soon!

So, I have a one day 4H show today, and stupid Tammy freaking Bowers scheduled my rides THREE HOURS APART! Which means I have the trailer ALL DAY which doesn't make the trainer (or her clients) happy. ARG! And it's a one day show so there's no stabling, so my horses basicially have to stand in/tied to the trailer all day! And my rides are just close enough together that there's not really time for me to take one horse and then take him home and take the other... although... seeing as Lipton's first... I just might be able to. It depends on traffic.

I got my ride times for l'Aperitif, which is EI's one day, no stabling show. Yet again, dumb ride times. One horse, I ride at 9 something, 12:30 and 4:30. WHO THE HECK DOES MY RIDE TIMES?! Won't they ever learn that that's NOT how you schedule a one day show?!

Todays show might suck though bcause I didn't ride yesterday. The hippology teams toured Pegasus Thoroughbreds Training/Rehab facility... me and my friend Allison wanted to just hide in a stall and live there. They showed us EVERYTHING, and we got to see all the Aqua stuff and the Hypoberric Oxygen Chamber (And I'm sure I butchered that), and we learned that Poggio had been there eairler that day for Aqua stuffs! So after the tour I went back to Allison's and helped with her with Dressage, and I was starting to get a migraine when I got home so I took a nap in hopes that it would work, which it didn't, so I had mom cut up another imitrex, and it didn't work till TEN FREAKING THIRTY! ARG! And I took it so I could go ride, so I still didn't even get to ride! So Lipton's been ridden ONCE since our last show, and I haven't ridden Inky at all but I know other people have. UGH! We just might die. We'll see.

Ok Spot, I believe you!!!! Mwuhahaha!!!

Luv, I agree with Spot, The chance to lease an FEI horse is a fantabulous opportunity. Course only you can make the final decsion. Write down on paper all the pros and cons of everything and see if that helps to narrow it down.

Debbie McDonals was wonderful to watch teach. She teaches exactly like my trainer, it was spooky, they are so much alike and I know they have never even met each other!!! One thing she was teaching that stuck out in my mind was to finish everything you do. In otherwords, don't be working on something, decide you are done with that and then let the horse do an abrubt or messy transition. Finish it all the way through. I also got a lot out of listening to her teach a lady on a lovely hanoverian, how to keep him from going behind the verticle. She had her doing renvers with him, then haunches in, then haunches out again. Really kept him on the aids and he quit going behind. I was the first auditor to send in my audit form and $$ so they awarded me first in line to meet and get Debbie's autograph after the clinic. Unfortunately I could not stay that late. So I gave it to a lady from my trainers barn. She was thrilled to death! Glad I made her day!!! I did not go again today, but did really enjoy yesterday. I would not mind riding in one of her clinics someday. Jane Savoie is coming in Dec. so I plan to audit that also. Then I will decide which one I would really like to ride with, even that should ever even happen.

So the shoer is coming on Tuesday. I sure hope this is the problem. I am really thinking it is, cause Beau has never been like this before. I clipped him today and he got a new Rambo Bug Buster Fly sheet that has the neck cover also. He gets so bitten up by bugs, it's awful. I just put him back on Sprintime Garlic also. That always helped out a lot in the past, but didn't really need it last summer in Cal. or the summer before in AZ. Here the bugs are really bad. Course we have had a ton of rain and there is soooo much grass. The horses can never eat it all!

[ 05-20-2007, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Okay, way to tired to reply to everyone, I fail at chit-chat-threadness...but I read everything and it sounds like everyone is doing well...As for me? I just got kicked in the face by my two year old gelding - he has a bit of a rearing problem, and I was trying to move him to a different part of pasture by just grabbing some mane, and he said NO and I said YES!!! so he got mad, reared, and hit me in the chin with his front foot, shoved my entire jaw to the left, so now I have a lovely cut and bruise on my chin and my right TMJ (where the mandible ties into the skull) is rather painful, I don't think I will be able to chew for a few days...right now I can hardly even talk.

On a brighter note, the state meet went really well. Our drill team took third, which is HUGE at state!!!...even though everyone (except the judges) think that they did better than the teams who took first and second, but oh well...the other teams were good too. Individual events did not go so well, but it was still a good meet. Last year, my senior year, we were state champion high points, but we just didn't have the points and the positions to do it again this year, especially since we were competing in a different size division. But the improvement I saw in each rider over the season was amazing, and that is what it is all about, I am so proud of them all!!!

Well, that's about all that's been happening here, I am going to ride tomorrow to get ready for the show in two weeks, but right now my face hurts, so I am going to bed, good night all!

Yowza. I'm almost sorry I checked into this thread...so much icky stuff going on, with a few bright spots here and there...

Mckenzie--the only word I can give you as an old lady with too much to do and not enough time is--PRIORITIZE. Decide what's important and focus on that. You'll find that the cream rises to the top and you'll know what you have to do and how to do it.

Scotch, Boo, Fessor, anyone else who's hurting right now, for reasons unknown or known, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. It's no fun having a horse who's ouchy or otherwise not him/herself, and I feel your pain (and theirs, too).

As for my miserable life, Jag & I are finally getting it. He still has the brain of an overcaffeinated teenager, but he's getting locked in and oh so pretty and we've had some really good rides over the past couple of weeks.

My confidence level is going up on him, and he's starting to figure out that his silly spooks and play moves just don't work anymore. He manages to get one in every so often, but now I ride him through it and we go back to leg yielding or trotting or whatever. Silly horsey.

He's got a couple of back-to-back shows coming up the weekend of the 9th-10th, where he's doing 1st level mostly. He still needs one more score to qualify in training level, but he's so bored with it that my trainer thinks it's time to get him focused on something different. He's really coming into his own now, if only his brain would grow up.

Have a great day, all...hang in there, if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. [big Grin]

Just a brief clinic report: It was AMAZING!!!! Barend and I got to chat prior to my ride, and he wanted a status report. I told him that we had been working very hard and improved a lot since he had been here last and described what we had been working on. His only comment was, “We’ll see.” HA!!! Okay, no problem. I wasn’t fazed in the least. I saddled up for my ride. When Barend finished his previous lesson and he left the arena to have a smoke, that’s when I started to warm up. By the time Barend returned to the arena, I had Raz all warmed up and doing GORGEOUS trot/canter transitions. Really soft and smooth and beautiful. Barend stepped into the arena and just stared at us for a second then said, “Wow, you have improved, A LOT!!” YEAH!!!!!

Barend started by making an adjustment to my seat asking me to be more supple and following rather that pushing so much. Do less work with my seat, and trust Raz to follow me more. We worked on really nitpicky shoulder-in’s and making sure I didn’t let the haunches move off the track at all, but kept them ARROW STRAIGHT and only moved just the shoulders in off the track without letting the haunches drift a single inch in or out. We worked on the really fine tuning the trot half pass and making sure it came correctly from the INSIDE leg not the OUTSIDE leg. We worked on the collected canter. Then we worked on some medium trot.

Barend said that Raz and I have made a HUGE improvement since the last clinic. Mostly it is my confidence that has improved which has in turn brought Raz’s confidence level way up as well, and overall everything we do has improved because of that. He said we are absolutely ready for rated shows, and discussed some shows that I should consider going to with Raz. He was very pleased with our progress. It was a great clinic. Sorry, no pictures. I gave my camera to one of the auditors, but they never bothered to take any pictures even though they said they would. ?? Ah well, I have a friend coming out to the barn with me next weekend to watch my lesson, so maybe next weekend. ??

I will try to catch up with you all as soon as I manage to get a little unburied from all this work here. I promise!!

~Shelly~

alright! i'm back and doing this right!! so bear with me. [smile]

lightning: how'd the potato moth speech go? hee hee. hope i didn't get you into trouble. i can see you up there trying to talk and cracking up and trying to explain why you are laughing to everyone. meanwhile you are still laughing hysterically and the rest of the class is sitting there ...not laughing. hee hee. that'd be me anyways!

vegas: hope vega's is feeling better now. those driving pics are way too cute. she's soooo fancy. and i love the jingle bells. eeeeeek! be careful woman! getting kicked in the face is never a good thing. Why aren't you at the doctors missy??

krazy: don't you just love looking out your windows and seeing the ponies. mine start yelling at me to come feed them when they see me get up in the morning. and i can see them from my bedroom window standing there waiting on my lazy butt to wake up. whoo hoo for clean cultures. hope layla takes! how fun! next year i'm gonna get me a baby appy. but i'll just buy one. that way i can get cute markings [smile] and...roany would founder if she got preggars...and i'm not sure she's a good candidate in general anwyays. can't wait to see how it all goes.

shelly: hee hee. yeah.. maybe i should buy some MANLY avalanche smelly shampoo instead of lavendar. But i swear the baby shampoo gets him just as clean as any whitening stuff and he's so soft and yummy smelling after. plus i don't have to worry too much about it irritating him. yay! progress. that's all i want. and you're right. atleast now i can recognize that it's not quite right and when it is i can tell. hee hee. yep...gotta work on that leg of mine. fleck's been traveling haunches in his canters recently. wonder if it's a chiro thing or just a silly girl put your leg where it should be thing. but i'll keep the half rule in mind for the future. thanks! awwww man, i'd hoping i'd sneak you into doing a clinic. hee hee. so actually, the migraine meds are helping...course they aren't preventing the headaches, but since it's cheap enough drugs and they don't leave me icky feeling, i have been taking them as soon as i have an inkling of a headache and it seems to be helping. course if i go back in two weeks for a refill of the 20 tablets, i bet she will put me on a preventative! hah! that'll teach her. course... i'm still sorta bitter about it. but i'm pretty sure she's aware of it. they had pamphlets in the waiting room. next time i'll ask her directly about it. i was just fuming that she was all speedy and ignoring me. i sorta forgot/gave up...who know's? yeah... i'm about to pull out the massager for me. fleck enjoys it though. and poor roany isn't any worse, but no better. so... might just be one of those long annoying abscesses. but atleast she's not as sore as the last one. and i'm pretty sure it's nothing else... i keep checking for other things, so... we'll see. oooh yeah for happy saddle fit. hope raz feels better or gets used to it soon. and man! i paid $300 to have my saddle reflocked. but i did have cair panels removed, so maybe that's harder? oh well. fleck's happier now so it's not the end of the world. YAY!!!!! that's so awesome about the clinic. i bet you are on cloud nine. awwww. i'm so proud of you guys. and what a geek not taking pictures. maybe she was just sooo amazed at you and raz she forgot?

luvs: i paid $300 to have my wintec cair panels removed and replaced with wool flocking. although i imagine that maybe just reflocking wouldn't be as much??? oooh, good luck at your show! how fun. and what is a materiale class? acckkk. i just saw only $100 to do shelly's saddle. jeepers. wonder if i got ripped off. hmmmmmmm... ooooh INFINITI's are nice! but.. you might be better off in the ranger! trucks are fun and with the horses...you'll be safer (from your sis!) [smile] okay...so your dilemma. write it all down. make pro and con lists and see which ones really outweigh the others. make a schedule and see if you really can do it all. and...maybe don't decide 100% until you start driving. 20 minutes isn't that bad of a drive, but... it still might be too much. and then decide...what do you really want. Do you have enough fun riding the ones you are now or do you REALLY WANT the YR stuff? that's about all i can offer help wise. but...go with your heart. you can make it happen if you want it bad enough. but... there may be compromises, so just make sure whatever you decide, you can live with the compromises and consequences. and...if you decide to do one thing and get into it and decide it's not really what you want... change your plans! good luck deciding though. that's alot to think about.

dobby: sounds like you guys are making progress! you're always gonna have some bad rides here and there, but as long as the general direction is forward! whooo hoo. can't wait for pics.

emily: awww, i didn't know you had to sell xander. and the baby! awww, but atleast you have inky and lipton and the new baby gabe to keep you happy. [smile] ughy. i hate when migraines ruin the day. glad it finally went away although it sucks that you didn't get to ride. you'll be fine at your show though! good luck! and yeah...annoying ride times are the worst. argh. but alteast you won't be rushed.

lauren: how's scotch doing??

tracy: how's fess feeling? oh good. an abscess! yeah.. it seems silly that they can last forever! i'm betting that what's roany's problem is, but.. yeah..it's hard to NOT freak out and come up with the worst after having a horse with other health issues. Roany and foundering, fess and his blindness. But yay that it will eventaully go away! good luck. diapers are the best for holding on icthamol and the likes. and soak his foot while he's eating. makes it soooo much easier to keep their foot in the bucket! or... i use a big feed pan/dog food bowl type dish. it's easier. good luck.

boocoo: awww, poor beau. hopefully though it'll just be a shoeing thing! it's amazing how hard it is to find good farriers. I'm soooo lucky. mine is awesome and cheap and nice and consistent and not hard to get in touch with. i'm sooooo lucky! good luck with finding a good one. oooh, and let us know how the clinic goes. we've got lellie ward coming this summer so i'm excited about that! awww, the clinic sounded great. i've heard good things about jane savoie too. how neat!

kyalli: congrats on all those awards and accomplishments! no wonder you fail at chitchat threads! hee hee. enjoy your summer now!

DQ: awwww, silly pony. his brain will grow soon...maybe! fleck still acts silly and he's 10 now! oh well. sounds like he's going really well despite the occasional sillyness. good luck at your shows!

wow... i did it. caught up!

so.... here's my news. My horse is the best horse ever! i love him... our show was great. but you guys are just going to have to check the link on the eventing board cause it's alot to type. but...we really had a true connection. No more fighting and fussing.... just two minds molded into one. it was such a great feeling. and in my last lesson my trainer told me that we were just really coming along and a great match. whoo hoo. so i'm feeling much more confident about the championships! we're gonna go school their cross country course this week and then i should be ready! just gotta get my dressage down perfect! i'm hoping to break into the 20's soon, but i imagine that championships might not be the place it'll happen. hopefully we can get in the low 30's atleast though. so.. we'll see. but i'm so proud of not just fleck, but me too. and... i really feel ready to move up to training level this fall. and....we've got some dressage shows coming up too so i'm hoping to break into the high 60's low 70's in first level! so we'll see.

off to go do a few more things and then grocery shop. fleck gets a massage today and the day off. i spent the first part in the pool and managed to get some sun. it was nice. tomorrow is trails, thursday is schooling XC and then it's back to dressage work [smile]

DQ: Good to hear from you again, hang in there!

Shelly: What an awesome clinic!! It's so good that you are improving at such a great rate!

Holly: I watched the videos of the trial, and they were AWESOME!!! WOO HOO!!! Go Holly and Fleck!!! Hee hee, yeah, getting kicked in the face was not very fun...he caught me under my chin and shoved it left, and it mus have been either pushed as far as the ligaments will possibly let it go, or dislocated - if it was dislocated I put it back in place through my anger at the little fartface! Anyway, I didn't go to the Dr's because my dad is a dentist, and he has seen a lot of injuries like this. He just said to not chew anything for a while and keep ice on it. My teeth are all intact thankfully, but it would have been nice if he could have just knocked out my wisdom teeth when he did it, becuause I have to get those pulled soon, and that is not going to be fun with a face like this!

So, back to normal after horse show weekend...real life sucks...oh well, school was good, even though my breeding/training instructor said two things that kinda made me mad...oh well, that was after I got to pass an insemination pipette - that was way cool! Anyway, the face isn't much better today, although I can talk a little better. Now I have some lovely swelling, but thankfully no bruising except under the chin. I even tried my hand at eating a donut today, although it did not go so well, my TMJ is regretting it now.

Off to meet the farrier and longe the pony and feed and clean before a 4-H ride!

*Thanks everyone for the responses to my post about the YR's/Training situation!*

Tracy - Sounds like a successful show! Sorry to hear about Fess' abcess, but glad it's manageabl, and I hope he heals fast!

Emily - lol! Yes, if I can sell Alibi (or at this rate give her away, aaarrrggghhh), leasing an upperlevel horse would def. be a possibility. But I need to sell her before taking on another horse. Uh-oh, I didn't hear about the rhino/flu outbreak, I'll have to mention that to Maya, Sammi and Patty...eek! Thanks for letting me know [smile] . Icky, sounds like a bad situaion w/ your ride times for the 4H show, and no stabling isn't good either!! Jeez, sounds like you're having bad luck all around in terms of ride times.

Boocoo - Thank you for your input as well...I will do the list like you mentioned, seeing things (and the process of writing thte list) on paper usually helps me. Wow, sounds like a fun clinic! I've heard really good things about Debbie's clinics, and it's awesome you were able to take away info/tips. It'd be a great experience to ride with Debbie McDonald and/or Jane Savoie, hope you are able to! Good luck with the farrier!

Megan - OMG! OUCH! I hope you're feeling better since writing that, it sounds verrryyy painful and have no doubt it was [Huggy] Glad to hear State went well!

DQ - Thank you! That is something I NEED to do, with managing school, riding, etc....both are very time consuming [Razz] . Ohhhh, we need more Jag pictures [big Grin]

Shelly - Yay! Sounds like a great, productive clinic. It feels very good to have the confidence and ability to show whoever (trainer, clinician, etc.) that you are capable, and you and Raz most certainly are. Hope you get pictures next time!!

Holly - Good to hear from you! Yikes, $300?! [shocked] . The Ranger would be a better starter car for me, however, it's older and is starting to have problems, so it may not last (I don't get my lic. until late Nov.), and my stepdad doesn't want to put too much money into a car that won't last, and since my sister can't have a car her freshman year of college, I may end up getting the Infiniti for that year, since the car wouldn't be in use. We shall see! It's hard, because training and riding young horses is a great opportunity and experience, but so is YR's..and it's more of a once-in-a-lifetime deal. So again, we shall see [big Grin] Thanks for your input too, it's appreciated!

I AM DONE WITH DRIVER'S ED [Yay] Sorry, had to get that out...I got my official certificate, too, since I had all my drives, tests, quizzes and classwork in and passed. SO glad it's over, I learned some things, but it was rather boring [Wink] .

I need to go eat dinner and do HW (and then of course watch TV)...have a super night!

Boocoo - Yeah, Debbie was SO amusing to watch! (I flew half way across the country to audit one of her clinics! ...and meet Lisa...) I would audit a clinic of hers anyday.

Megan - EEP! He's the little one, right? (At least he's somewhat little. [Razz] ) Good to hear it's starting to feel better! Congats about State! Mmm Donuts.. That totally reminds me of the scene in Dreamer where they're all eating Krispy Kreme and the Jockey has to eat Carrot Sticks. -snorts-

Holly - I hate my migraines. I've had them since before I can remember. (I was watching old videos from like.. 1994 and before and there was a shot of me laying on the couch crying for my mom... I'm pretty sure I had a migraine) I remember associating them with colors in Kindergarten. I had one orange strap and one pink strap on my backpack, and I would always associate it with seeing the orange in a certin light. I don't know a lifestyle without them. [Frown] Yay for good ponies!

McKenzie - I got the thing about Rhino/Flu in my l'Aperitif ride times... Haha, I guess they sent 'em out cause most people who go to that one go to the donida shows too? I don't know. They'll probably notify everyone in their Beaujolais Times/Champange Confos/times. Yay! Being done with drivers ed is a nice feeling of accomplishment. Remember that you can take your written test for your licence up to 90 days before you turn 16, and you have to have passed it before you can schedule your drive test. They're usually being scheduled around a month or 2 out in this state.

Okay, so, the 4H show... well.. I scrached 3 out of my 4 rides, because I was still wiped from the Imetrex, and I didn't have any paitence at all yesterday. I did my first ride on Lipton (1st-1) and we got a 64.333% and first place, in addition to recieving my Silver Medal. I was the only one at the show to get my medal, so I guess that kinda tells you something about my competition. (You only need a 61% for your bronze, 62% for you silver, 63% for your gold, and 64% for your platinim, although only one girl is going for her platinum and she wasn't riding a high enough test). He was super good, but we were waiting to go back into the arena and he started freaking out and he tried to rear and I decided we were done. It wasn't worht either of us getting hurt, or me losing my paitence with him. Inky was being a butthead in the trailer and so I decided to scratch him all together. I just didn't have the energy or paitence, and my trainer agrees that I made the right decision in scratching.

Ah, well, that's about the extent of my news... Apolo and Julianne did AMAZING in their freestyle dance tonight! Omg! It was the only night I've ever voted, and I used all 5 of my votes on them! I want them to win so bad! Okay, I'm off... Goodnight all!

OMG, we had some laughs at the barn yesterday. Two horses had sarcoids removed. Sam went first. He's the 4yo 18Hh Clyde stud. The vet used the same sedative cocktail that she uses for dental work, and gave him a quarter horse sized horse dose. Who knew that Sam was a light weight? The dose for a horse half his size darn near put Sam on the ground. It was a bit nervewracking watching him weave and start to buckle, only to find his legs again as the vet was squatting underneath his hindquarters to remove the sarcoid on his stifle then stich up the spot! Thankfully he managed to stay on all four legs, and we found out that Sam is very sensitive to sedatives with no one getting hurt. By the evening, Sam was fully back to himself and able to go out into the roundpen over night. The other patient was a 24yo Quarab saint of a lesson pony. Squire was fantastic. One sarcoid came off with no trouble, one bump was something else (an infected bug bite probably). The last sarcoid on the lower side of his muzzle was a bit bigger and took some work to get stiched up once the sarcoid was removed.

I finally figured out why I have been reluctant to take advantage of opportunities to ride Sam. I hate to admit that my pride is getting in the way. I look like an absolute novice on him. You see, Sam doesn't steer off of rein and calf. He steers from seat and thigh. I've never ridden a horse who makes me use the seat and thigh correctly. We tend to look like I am riding under the influence. [Embarrassed] I am still learning to feel what I'm doing with my seat and thigh, and can do some pretty strange things without realizing it. Sam will teach me to feel what I'm doing, because if I pay attention he will TELL me what I'm doing. Now if I can just leave my ego at the door and allow myself to feel like a beginner, I will be able to learn what Sam has to teach me. And really, how many people get the chance to ride a big young stud? He's so much fun! My frustration isn't with him; I've seen Sam steer just fine. The frustration is all with myself. Now if I can just let myself make mistakes so that I can learn to be more aware, I'll make some progress in learning to really ride from my seat!

Tracy

McKenzie: WOOT no more driver's ed!!! That was the greatest day of my life, when I finished driver's ed...Well, the face is being weird. It will feel better for a little while, then if I try to use it for something like oh, let's say eating, it doesn't really work. The muscles are all tied up in knots on the TMJ on both sides, so it mechanically locks after I open it to a cretain point, which is not very far...State was good for the girls, but the management of the entire show was terrible, and the fairgrounds where it was held left something to be desired - a lot to be desired, actually.

Emily: Logan is not so little anymore - he is fifteen hands and a ball of misplaced energy with nowhere to go. I called his owner (my best friend) and said that he needs to be started on a regular work schedule, before he really hurts someone, because this is not the first time he has done something like this, although his hooves have never previously come in contact with my body. Anyway, she is going to start teaching him some manners. Haha, the donut scene, that always cracks me up! I learned that I can eat soft bread-like things and fruit if I take it in really small bites and pretty much let it dissolve before I start to chew...sorry that was prolly a really gross image, but that's what I do. Speaking of donuts, there might still be some left...

Tracy: Hee hee, Sam's just a sensitive boy! It would have been funny to see that! Glad to hear the horses are feeling better, and good luck with getting your buns in communication line with Sam! It's always good to ride different horse just for that reason.

Okay everyone, today is the day! I am actually going to ride my horse! I hsven't ridden her since our lesson on Thursday, and I reeeeaaaallllyyyyy need to do that today, becuase we only have two rides beforeour next lesson, and only till the second to spiff up (and memorize) the test for the jumper derby that day. So I think dressage today and hunt seat tomorrow. I swear I will do this....

[ 05-22-2007, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Vegas Sky ]

vegas: thanks! it was a great weekend overall for us [smile] i'm so proud. and feeling better about championships. whoo hoo. glad your face is feelign a bit better. and that's handy that your dad is a dentist. i bet he helped alot!

luvs: ooooh, well enjoy that infiniti then! just give it a good vacuum before your sister gets back and it'll be good as new. yay for finishing drivers ed! whoo hoo. and good luck with whatever you decide to do. maybe alibi will sell this month and then you'll be good to go!

emily: ugh...i think my migraines started in middle school. i would come home from school crying and just sleep all day. i would be so pissed because i wouldn't ever get them during the day and get to miss school, it was always at the end of classes and so i would miss playing with my friends and riding. ugh. maybe one day they'll find a better cure. congrats on the show! sounds like a good decision on your part. it's amazing how migraines can just totally wipe you out for the next day or two. btu whoo hoo. sounds like it was a great ride on lipton!

tracy: actually....drafties are usually very much the lightwieghts! it's their metabolism or something like that. but yeah... if your vet had used a dose for his size he wouldn't have been down completely! they taught us that in vet school cause your mind says OOOh, he's big, we need more! but it's just not true. glad he stayed up and it went well. they're so silly when they are that drunk. after it's over and it's no longer scary anyways! oh tracy....drop that ego! hee hee. i know what you mean. it's hard to admit that you can't ride a particular horse. my trainer had a 18 hand draft cross that i couldn't ride to save my life and i really wonder if it wasn't a seat thing too. but don't worry about it. just focus on you and him and what he has to teach you. and...that can translate over to fess and you'll be amazed at how responsive he'll be too i bet! you can do it!!

anyways....i think fleck and i are gonna go hack at the horse park today. but it is HOT! atleast the hack through the woods will be nice. if the bugs don't kill us. but first i've got to clean out the trailer. ugh. it's not too bad and it wouldn't be bad at all, cause i'm a neat freak! but i had to take someone else with me too, so..that always messes things up a bit. but it won't take me too long.

well, off to eat some lunch. feel better megan!

ahhhhhh I lost track already...alright I will try my hardest to remember everyone (haha I'm too tired to open up another link)

Tracy- Glad that you had a great time at the show! Hope Fessor gets better quickly! You should ride Sam, having ahorse that responds to the seat and subtle aids will help you so much.

Boocoo- Oooo sounds like you came away w/ a lot of great tips and information! Hope that Beau starts feeling up to par...poor guy.

Vegas Sky- OUCH! Sounds like your face got a bit of a rearrangement. Hope you feel better! Congrats at States! Woohoo!!! oMG Jumper Derbys are sooooo much fun!!!!!!!! Love them! have fun!

Deequee- Thanks! Come on girl it sounds like you are doing great w/ Jag!!! It sounds like things are really starting to fall into place YAY!! And your last sentence made me do this -> [ROTFL]

Shelly- That's Awesome that you had such a great clinic!!! yeh girl get some pics! Great compliments and you'll rock and roll at 2nd! Thanks for checking out that video. He really is a nice pony...and does go very nicely...if I have him on bute. Makes me much more happy. After this whole lameness situation is fixed I'll have to get a more improved video that does us justice! I was embarressed to show it to you...lol.

McKenzie- YAY! *dances w/ you* glad to hear Driver's Ed is done and over with YAHOO!

Holly- You and Fleck are doing so well! yay!! Congrats on a superb weekend! Hope you hack went well and that it'll cool down!

Emily- that's great you had such an awesome show! Congrats on a job well done! And I agree I love Apolo!! mmmmMMM

So on my end...not much new. I haven't ridden since Thursday as I'm just so freaked out about Scotch. Vet was supposed to come today but it got bumped to tomorrow night. Hopefully we can get it figured out and fixed. Went to a Horse and Rider outlet on Saturday. This place is only opened 2 days out of a month! got some pretty good deals...Scotch got a gorgeous black padded leather halter, some Pro Choice boots for T/O, new bells, a flash and hmmm I believe that's all. Then we (being the crazy ladies at the barn that I went with) went to Dansko. holy frick...I wanted to buy like a million pairs of shoes there. We went to the actual manufacturing building..I think it may be headquarters. But lots and lots of shoes, clogs, sandals, boots, etc. I didn't buy anything as I wanted to buy them all! I love shoes...*sighs blissfully*

So while I'm waiting for Scotch to be fixed...a few of the ladies asked if I wanted to ride their horses and best of all Audrey (my now dressage trainer) spoke to the owner's of this lovely lovely TB and asked if I could ride him a few times a week. The girl is afraid of him...so hardly ever rides. He is 2nd/3rd level...so she thought it would be beneficial for me as Scotch isn't there yet. So my first ride on him will be a lesson w/ Audrey so I can get a feel of him.

So keep your fingers crossed that I won't have to take Scotch to New Bolten Center...

Hope ya'll have a good night

Quick update. I am exhausted. After work I fly to the barn to meet the new shoer. When I get there, the guy is there to bale the hay in the pastures. Of course this freaks Beau out so I go to get him and as I am walking him up to his stall I see the farrier up at the gate, so I am waving like a mad woman and not paying attention to Beau who freaks out as the baler comes by and he about knocks me for a loop with his big ol' honkin shoulder, right in the back of my hip. Ouch! So I tell him off, manage to get him in his stall without getting run over and close his door so he can't see the horse eating baler anymore. The shoer is awesome. Made his own shoes and Beau is a lot more balanced, not to mention has support under his back heels. So the true test will come tomorrow when I attempt to ride him. In the mean time my BO callse me in a panic, she has to work really late and doesn't want the hay left in the field, so is sending out the other boarder. I calle my hubby and tell him to go home and get our son and get out there to help us. They all show up and out to the field we go. Now then, I am one smart puppy, I have to say, cause guess which job was mine? That's right, driving the truck, [big Grin] my hubby, son and the other boarder stacked my truck so darn high with hay, I wondered if it would move. We moved 87 bales of hay in two truck loads and had it all stacked in the barn by dark!!!!!! [Eek!] I have one very happy BO this evening!!! [Jump] So now that's done and I am home, and heading to bed. Will have to catch up later, but I did see that Luv says she is all through with driver's ed... Yeah!!! [Yay]

Holly: Thanks, I do a little. Hey, while you are cleaning out your trailer, you can just some up and do mine too, and my room and the bathroom and the dishes...yeah...I would be happy with a weekend like that too! I can't wait until my first show of the season on the second! Although I do have a lesson Saturday with a new trainer at the farm where I school XC. It is also the same place where I will go for the jumper derby on the second and for my first recognized trial later in June. Ha ha, yeah it is handy that Dad is a dentist...in many ways [big Grin] More about the newest developments on the face below.

Lauren: Hee hee, I like that, 'rearrangement' - it suits the situation. Yeah, I can't wait for the jumper derby! Cool that you get to ride other horses! That was one good thing that came out of Vegas's injury too. I hope Scotch pony feels better soon, and doesn't have to make a trip to New Bolton!!!

Boocoo: That was very nice of you to get the hay out of the field, I think the BO owes you one! Great that you found a good farrier! I am sold on the one I have now, he is so great! Haha, Beau knows the truth about what balers actually do! He was just trying to warn you...

Okay, so it has been a very deceiving day, but a good one nonetheless. No classes today, so I just hung out at home and watched some Star Trek (yes, I am a nerd), then I went out and spent an hour grooming before I tacked up, because Vegas hadn't been groomed since Thursday. Our ride was great! I did the entire thing without stirrups, and spent a good half hour working on dressage and I rode the test twice. But my equitation without stirrups definitely needs help! I am going to ride without stirrups at home from now on, and then with them when I go for lessons and galloping and what not. I did some over fences work at the end of the ride too. We did a simple exercise with one low fence on each side, a crossrail and two logs set like an oxer on barrels. We trotted in to the cross rail, cantered the oxer, then transition back to the trot and do it again. It is seemingly easy, but it is hard to make sure YOU do everything correctly, and for a horse like Vegas, to make sure she was calm and collected and took off neither too deep or too long. A very good ride, and I was feeling good and not even thinking about my face! But by the time we cooled out and untacked and groomed, my TMJ muscles were starting to get stiff...now they are all tied up in knots on both sides, and the right side really hurts and I can feel how swollen it is. My bite is off alignment now too. And now, it reaches the end of the range of motion at about one inch wide...I actually have to force it to go out and down to open more, but that really hurts, so dad wants me to go into the office for some panorex X-rays in the morning before class. But the good news is that I ate real food today...

Good night all, and who is watching the results for Idol tomorrow?! I really don't like Jordin...but if Blake is runner up and gets a contract, he will have a way better situation than Jordin who will have to pay a hefty chunk to Idol for time and all eternity...

Whew. Time for an update! I will get to everyone else later, I promise, but I did read the updates.

As for me, after my disappointing and slightly embarassing lesson on Thursday which I already described, I had a busy weekend. I didn't get to ride on Friday due to the crazy weather, and on Saturday I went to the famous Radnor Steeplechase races for the first time! The dad of my best friend got tickets from HIS friend who won them in a silent auction for charity but already had tickets. Long story short, I got to go! Not only did I get to go, but I got to go into the exclusive Paddock Club tent. I stuck out like a sore thumb even with my dressy clothes, but it was totally worth it. I will post pictures later for enjoyment on the H/J board probably. Maybe here too. The horses were handsome and wonderful. One hore in particular looked SO much like Gayla and acted SO much like Gayla that I had to look him up in the program. And Yep, I'm pretty sure he is related to her! He might have been born at the same farm too! [big Grin]

Speaking of Gayla, I rode her this past Sunday. It started off nice, really REALLY disintegrated into frustration and crow-hopping, but the good news? Somehow we managed to begin anew, something we haven't managed before. We just...did it. It was great. Not perfect, not amazing, but we were able to adjust, redo and concentrate positively. And the best thing? Gayla's owner came to see at the end of the ride, so we were lucky! [Wink] We had a very nice, loose contact relaxed trot at the end. I decided not to push it, especially affront of the wonderful owner. She truly cares about Gayla, absolutely adores her that is! What a nice lady. Afterwards, Gayla stood very very VERY quietly in the washstall to be hosed off.

As for Spectrum, he had a very light super beginner lesson on Sunday, and only one, so I got to trail ride him across the street for the first time with a friend and another barn lady. Sunny and beautiful, we even went down into a shallow stream in the woods! It went so nicely that I decided to venture out by myself again on Tuesday. It was, quite honestly, one of our best rides. Spectrum didn't like being out along at first, but he trusted me enough to go forward with it. And he didn't freak out in the woods when deer started bouncing around downhill from us. We only galloped AFTER coming out of the woods! [Wink] That was the only time he took me by surprise. I lost both stirrups as we flew up the hill and at the top of the hill put him on the tiniest circle. [Razz] That stopped him.

As for why I am posting in the middle of the day, I had my confirmation at my synagogue today, so there was no point of going to school if I was going to leave at 10:30 to go get ready. Truth be told, I'm a bit nervous about my speech as Vice-President of our class, the prayers I lead, and overall confirmation-stuff.

Good luck everyone in your current endevors (sp?!) and have a great day!

lauren: thanks for the comments! whoo hoo! he's such a good boy. and yeah..the hack sucked!! it was hot and muggy and buggy and hard ground. oh well. it was still a get out there and stretch. so.. yeah. ahh,i love dansko. i have three pairs for work and home. that work paid for [Wink] whoo hoo. and that tack outlet sounds awesome. ooooh, keeping my fingers crossed for scotch. don't worry! you guys will figure it out. hopefully without new bolton!! let us know as soon as you know. we're all thinking happy thoughts for him.

boocoo: [shocked] that's a whole lotta hay! i bet your BO was thrilled! and yahoo that the farrier did a good job! that's awesome. hopefully beau feels better now. let us know. i'm sending happy thoughts your way too. hope you guys aren't too sore today!

vegas: hee hee. yeah well... my trailer is sparkling, but there is dishes in the sink, laundry piled up, dog hair floating around like tumbleweeds.... if only my horse were as clean as my trailer! oooh, good luck at your show! how fun. it's gonna be hot though! me too..showing june 8-10th and ugh... oh no.... hope your face is just sore and not injured too badly. ugh... what a mess. but yeah for real food. donuts????yummmmy.

dobby: congrats on making the breakthrough with gayla! whoo hoo. and that's awesome about your ride on spectrum too. i love hacking out on trails. good luck with your confirmation. you'll do great!!

anyways. so yeah... the trail ride was miserable. just hot and muggy and no breeze. then when we tried to go in the shade the bugs were horrible. and the ground was sooo hard cause it hasn't rained in forever. so ...it was a pretty short ride. i really need to ride today, but i woke up at 6 am with a headache....went back to bed and still had a headache at 11 when i finally woke up. don't laugh... i work til 2 am and don't get to bed til 3 am, so even on my off days i stay up til 1 atleast and don't get up til later [smile] but yeah.. so i probably won't ride. since i have to work tonight. but tomorrow is lunch with barn friends and then a lesson and then...ugh...the marathon at work. memorial day weekend is notoriously the busiest weekend and we're short staffed the entire time. i'm working 8 hours friday night, 12 sat, sun, and monday. ugh... and it'll probably end up being alot more than that cause i'm sure i'll get stuck there since we're short staffed. oh well. fleck will get a nice long weekend off and then we'll start really getting back into work for the championship show! then... move up to training hopefully! i've got two dressage shows that i might could go to in july too so.... we may try 1st 3 and 4, but we'll see.

anyways, hope everyone gets good news!!! for ponies, jaws, confirmations, etc. [smile]

holly

Emily - I've gotten my confirmations (via email and snail-mail) about the Beaujolais and Champagne Classic, but there was no info nor warnings about the vaccine...do you think that was only required for the l'Aperitif show?? I'll have to email the secretaries and find out, as I don't want to show up and not have it!! I am going to take my written as soon as possible, so I can have that out of the way. Was the actual driving test hard?? I will be soooo nervous!! Sorry to hear you had to scratch those rides, but it also sounds like it was the right decision, and you still got a nice score on Lipton!

Tracy - OMG! Wow, quite the day...who would've thought an 18h Draft would be a lightweight?! Definitely NOT me. Glad the procedures went well. Sam will really teach you a lot, even if it is hard...and I am sure it will be. Once you ride him more I bet it will overall improve your riding, on Fess and other horses too.

Megan - LOL, yeah, it was really nice to have it be OVER!! Now I get to ride Mondays and Wednesdays which will be nice. Again, I am so sorry to hear about being kicked, and I hope you are back to feeling normal really, really soon. Oh, and bad show management really does bite, huh?? Hope you had a good ride!

Holly - I saw your show post, and I plan on watching the video tonight (on my mom's computer, 'cause this one is slooowwww dial up, and her's is DSL). The pictures were great, you look nice, as does Fleck. Cross your fingers (for the 100th time [Roll Eyes] ) Ali sells soon!

Lauren - Thanks!! I'm super excited it's over...yipeee! And I'd be freaked out too. I will be thinking healing thoughts and hoping he will be back to feeling 110% quickly. Ohhhh, shopping [big Grin] I love horse shopping, it's fun!! I am obsessed with shoes too. My mom just got me a pair of Birkenstocks in Oregon [Razz]

Boocoo - Whoooo, what a workout!! Good choice to drive the truck though [Wink] I am SURE that will be one happy BO!!! And ouch, when a horse runs into you, no doubt you'll feel it, so hope you are okay.

dobby - Oh cool, I'd love to see a steeplechase! Sounds like you had a good time, and seeing a relative of Gayla must've been really neat [smile] Good luck with your speech, I am sure you'll do awesome.

Bad news: Miari, the barn where I am currently at, had a problem with the hay. A lot of the horses are having allergic reactions, and are now having sore, bleeding gums...one horse is even missing a chunk of his [Eek!] New hay is therefore arriving quickly, and they've contacted the sellers of the hay...they think it is a seed in the hay so they are going to recall it which is obviously good. Teddy has not shown any "symptoms" yet, so I am hoping he doesn't, as my friends horses are [Frown] .

Good news is that Nugget was very good last night, I think he'll do great at Intro (our show is June 9th, we are doing Intro A and B). He is just so much fun to ride!! And I get to ride Teddy again today, though he seems to have a sore back so the chiro has been called, and we'll just do a light "fun" ride today.

[smiley Wavey]

Well here's a little secret. The BO is paying us for bringing in all that hay!! I am giving the $$ to my hubby, cause he worked his butt off and some to my son, cause he did to.

Beau was better today when I rode him. He trotted off right away and worked well at walk/trot transitions. He did get a bit resistant later on to pick up the trot, but then he went ahead and would trot and did not keep fighting it. He was real sticky to get to canter, but eventually did and kept transitioning nicely after that. I'm sure it is going to take some time to get his heels up enough to where they don't hurt anymore at all, but his feet look a whole lot better. I did get some hoof toughner today and hope that will help. Over all there was some definitely huge improvement, so this is just going to take time and hoofs grow to slow sometimes!! [big Grin]

I did read everyone's posts and am so glad I am off after Friday. Then I can really catch up!

Vegas Sky- OOO no classes!! That is always a plus. I'm so glad that i 've been done w/ school for the last 2 weeeks! whoopee!! Sounds like you had a fun/great ride! I haven't jumped forever and a day. Scotch hasn't been sound enough for me too! But this Sunday I'm going home and having a hardcore jump lesson(from my old trainer) on my friend's Prelim horse! Hope your face feels better...ouchy ouch. And I watched the results. I LOVE Blake he was definately my fave. But Jordin has a great voice...so I'm happy for both of them.

Dobby- Oooo I love Radnor. Sounds like it was a fun day!! Glad that your ride ended up going back together! That's great that Spectrum was a good enough boy being hacked out all by his lonesome. LoL Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great at your confirmation!

Holly- ouuu those are like the worse conditions. I hate when its muggy and w/ bugs! BOO! *swoons* THREE pairs! holy jeebas share the love girl! So Scotch is going to the vet clinic next week. Blah. Wonder how much this will cost me! Marathon at work??? Have fun at your lesson. this weekend my step-dad is in a Triatholon...so that's wher ei shall be on Saturday! When's your area Championships?

McKenzie- ooo I love shoes too. I could spend hours upon hours just trying on shoes. You should see me when I go into like a store w/ Gucci Heels...*dies* I can never afford them, but I sure as heck like to try them on. And yes horse tack shopping is great!! I normally hate myself afterwards for I spend over my max amount. Now I need a new show coats and my saddle needs to be refit to Scotch. Not to mention the vet bill that will soon be arriving at my door in the next few weeks. And thanks I'm hoping he'll be back up to par soon as I want to send in entries to a rec. show at the end of June. lol. Oh my I hope that things are sorted out at the barn w/ hay! scarey! I'm sure you and Nugget will do super at the show!

Boocoo- What great boarders ya'll are!! I know for a fact that boarders at the farm I managed would never do something like that!! Props to you and your family! Glad to hear Beau is feeling better and starting to go better! I'm sure he'll be back into tip top shape in no time!

*sighs* Ok so Scotch has to go to my vet's clinic next Thursday. She wants to do a full blown out long lameness exam. I have to ride him and then she is more than likely going to start blocking and working her way up. I think he is staying the night...ugh. I hope they can figure out what is wrong w/ him.

So that is my update on him. He was very perky and nickering at me the entire time i was at the barn. Especially if I walked out of the grain room...he was very hopeful that I might be coming out w/ grain. lol

And had a lesson/first ride on this TB. He is very neat but has some quirks. So I hear He can be a jerk and very naughty...but thankfully I got to ride him on a good day. lol. He has some lovely mediums in him but of course my seat was non-existent for the first one. I haven't ridden in over a week plus and riding mediums has been forever ago! So had to sort myself out and did it again...much better for both of us. More organized and my seat was there. I was also riding in the kid who owns the horse saddle. ick i did not like the saddle one bit! I'm hoping my saddle will fit Laddie. lol

It was get to know each other kind of ride. But man Audrey was harping on me quite a bit! She has never been like that, but I think it was because the horse's owner decided to show up! and I was like eep great my first ride on this horse and he shows up! Great! Oh well everything went well. Laddie was a good boy and then I hacked him out. He was well behaved. So I get to ride him a few times a week which will be nice. Audrey said that she really liked how we matched up...thought it would be good for him and myself. She actually wants me to show him...but I think she will have to talk to owner. So that's everything in a nutshell!!

Megan - We're starting that manners thing with Gabe NOW, not when he's 2. [Razz] I love the donut scene! Heeee

Holly - I would've rather gotten them in the afternoon, after school, than be told by the school nurse, and my teacher that I don't really get migraines, I was faking it, and I had no excuse to be failing my tests. [Frown] How hot has it been down there? It got up to like... 83 here today! EEP!

Lauren - YAY Apolo! I <3 Apolo! And he's from this area! Heeee! He and Julianne have so much chemestry... I'm jealous. [Razz] Hope Scotch feels better soon! Good to hear that you have the opportunity to ride the 2nd/3rd level horse!

McKenzie - It said Donida, seeing as the outbreak was at the track... I just hope it's either 1) Lifted by Beaujolais, or 2) The vet says we can squeek Stef and Gabe in with it (She won't be 90 days yet), because they might be going to Canada the weekend of the ODS Breeders Showcase which was the other SH show I wanted to take him to, seeing as that's the closest inspection (The next closest is Nipomo, CA, probably about an hour north of LA) My driving test was pretty easy, just really really nerve wrecking. I was fidgeting so much waiting for the tester. My guy friend told me about when he got his licence and he just sang to himself the whole time trying to keep his mind off of "OMGImtakingmydrivetest!" Ick! Sorry to hear bout the Hay! Good to hear that they're recalling it and getting new stuff! Oh, and my trainer is so up for breeding to Nugget if Joanne ever wants to breed Piccachu! (We saw him in Horses, inc!)

Inky now has his very own Dressage Saddle. 17.5" County Connection, Long Flap, Medium Tree. It fits us perfectly! I love it!

Lipton was amazing today, a little lookie at the runners and bikers, and espicially the gaited horses that kept passing on the trail. He wasn't quite sure if they were horses or not, they moved funny, ya know?

I got my Champange Classic Confo, we're all good. And we found an inspection to take Stef and Gabe to... we'll either go to the one in British Columbia (Somewhere just over the border... 4 hours away), or Nipomo, CA (16 hours away). The dates for the Nipomo one works better for me, but The BC one is so much closer. Ah, well, We'll decide sometime... I'm coordinating with Dorin's owner, so we can go together (It'll be SO much more fun that way!)

I think that's all for my news... off to watch Lost! Goodnight everyone!

Wow, it must be the day to post replies...here we go:

Holly: Ha, yeah, I am meticulous about the way things are arranged in my barn, but I hardly ever do the dishes on a regular basis and there is stuff piled up all over my room...yeah, I am excited for the show! It should be really good! Thanks, Good news for the face, more below. Icky trail ride, I hate it when they are like that! Ugh, good look at work, and hang in there!

McKenzie: Yeah, when I took driver's ed it was before I started riding, but I was in like all AP classes, and it was hard to find the time for all my homework - it was nice to have some time again! Grrrr, I hate bad show management, but unfortunately OHSET is famous for it. Thanks, the face does feel better, the whole story is below. That's unfortunate abot the hay, I hope all the horses are okay - Vegas has really bad allergies to dust and pollen and whatnot in hay, so I have to be really careful about what I get her, and even then sometimes she still has reactions to it, so she is on allergy medicine and all that jazz...anyway, it's good that Teddy is fine so far, and hopefully the new hay comes soon - I would be really mad at the balers of the hay too! Good luck on Nugget!

Boocoo: That's good that you are getting paid, and that's very nice of you to give it to your husband and son. Yay for Beau feeling better! Yeah hoof does grow slow...have you tried a biotin supplement? I have Vegas on one and it makes her feet very strong and her hair and hoof grows a lot better and it's very nice...pretty affordable too.

Lauren: Ugh, I'm not done with class until June 13, but then I only get three weeks off then I go back for a writing class, but it is only five weeks, and one of those where you only go when you have to turn something in [big Grin] EEEK?! I coudln't go that long without jumping! Jordin won, oh well, Blake has the better deal in the long run. They are both good. Aww, poor Scotch pony, hopefully it is nothing too serious and he will be okay! But it sounds like you had a good ride on the TB, even if Audrey was harping a lot! I bet you'll have a lot of fun riding him.

Emily: Starting manners at an early age is always good. You will be happy you did! We got Logan when he was four months, and he was not weaned and he did not lead, so he has come a long way, but he still has a way to go yet. His problem is that he is just a nosy little boy with his own ideas about what needs to be done, so breaking him will be fun...Yay for new saddle, and a good ride on Lipton, and good luck at the shows/inspections...I am trying to take Vegas to an inspection to get her in a pre-mare book for breeding, but I'm not sure which association I want her in yet (so far either ISR or RPSI) and the only inspection is The Ultimate Piaffe for ISR, and I've heard that if your horse didn't come out of the host's horse's lines, you'd might as well not even try...so we will see...

Good news for the face, I didn't break anything or dislocate anything, although I came pretty close...on the x-ray it almost looked like I broke my hyoid, but there's nothing you can do for that anyway, so oh well. I also only have three wisdom teeth! The fourth one never grew. Dad said my jaw will be really sore for a while and it might feel gravelly and tight for a long time, but that's just about all...it sure still hurts though.

Well, not much else new here...we went out on the trails for training class today, and I was giving my mare a rest after taking her through the water, and then all of a sudden here comes my bestest friend Dana (who rode Ester in fall term) walking down the trail. When we get back to the barn she says that she brough bday cake for me since my 19th bday is on Sunday...she is the bestest friend in the world! Then we went out to lunch and went shopping and I bought a LOT of clothes!!! I still have to get a lot of clothes too! More shopping tomorrow...and a lesson, even though I have only ridden my pony once since my last lesson [Embarrassed]

Good night everyone!

Megan - We learned that Drugs are our Best friend with Gabriel. [Razz] Good to hear that you didn't break anything!

Gabe had his surgery today (He had an umbilical hernia, nothing big, but it needed to be fixed). He was So good, and Stef just stood around and ate! She didn't care! She was actually happier when he was knocked out, haha! I'll put a picture up, Sorry to everyone with dial up, if you have issues just tell me and I'll take it down.

-

Xander has a Dreamhorse ad up now, and I'm about to put pictures up on it in a few minutes. Lipton and Inky were fantabulous today, I'm very proud of both of them.

Stef and Gabe won't be going to Beaujolais (Sorry McKenzie! You'll just have to come to Shur'tugal and meet them sometime afterwords!). There was an outbreak of Flu/Rhino at the track right around the show grounds, and Stef won't be far enough along in her pregnancy, and Gabe could have it but it may do something and it may not. So it's just not worth it to risk it. I might take Gabe to Spokane depending on when that show falls, just beause I really want him to go to at least one today, but if we go to that inspection, he won't be going down to Devonwood for it. Gah. This ruined my whole show season with him. [Frown]

phew, you guys are wearing me out!! [Wink]

luvs: thanks! it was a great weekend as far as my confidence and our feeling prepared to move up! and fingers still crossed for alibi. makes typing hard though! hee hee. keep your fingers crossed that i sell my athens house! oh no... hope the hay situation gets resolved quick. and glad teddy's good so far. hopefully now that they have new hay, it won't be a problem. sounds like maybe something in it was too harsh and abrasive! hopefully the other ponies will heal soon too. oooh, hope teddy feels better (his back). i'm gonna have the chiro/acupuncture come do fleck again, although i swear, the massaging really seems to help him out. seriously! i feel sorta silly, but i bought a $30 homedics massager at walmart. just plug it in and massage fleck 2-3 times a week for about 5 minutes and he's really starting to enjoy it. he used to flinch when i did his lumbar area and he's getting better. which hopefully means that the soreness is going away. but good luck with teddy and the hay and everything.

boocoo; oh, excellent that beau is getting better. you might want to put him on farriers formula or something along those lines to help his hoovies grow quicker. but i want to say that it takes a few months for it to start working...??? can't remember for sure. but hopefully he won't have to grow that much more before he feels better just from the proper trim job. good luck with it. and whoo hoo for money. sounds like you all deserved it!

lauren: ooooh fun! a jumping lesson on a prelim horse. sweeet!! have a blast! hee hee. yep, three pairs of the new sporty ones! which are so much more comfy and i don't fall out of them as much either! and even better!! work paid for them! awesome huh!? too bad i can't justify dankso or ariat tall boots. hee hee. don't think that one would work so well. not even sure i could sneak in the dankso paddock boots, which i really really want. but oh well. i'll be happy with my three pairs! oh man... that sucks that you have to wait til next week to find out about scotch. argh. but atleast hopefully you'll finally have an answer and a solution to make him sound and happy again. definately let us know as you find things out. still thinking happy thoughs and [Huggy] . the area 3 champs are at poplar place. i'm so excited. it's kinda sad cause all my friends are going to the fun schooling show at pine top, so i'll be lonely. but there are a few people i'm good aquantances with and fleck will keep me company. my hubby may come too since i'm sleeping in the trailer. he's all worried. it's such a nice place. i just wish that the horse trailer didn't have to be soooo far from the barn. oh well. it'll be an experience. and i didn't get a chance to go school XC but...i'm thinking i should be okay still. even if they throw some training fences in.....i'll just keep my leg on and growl if i have too. i'm so sad though.. i had a navy and silver crop made by fleck, that said "FLECK" on it... it was my magic stick. very rarely needed it, but... it was there to give my leg a whack or a gentle reminder to fleck that even though i'm wimping out and not using my leg, he's gonna have to go. well, i lost it at fence....i know someone picked it up, but...no one returned it. and...dover won't have it in stock til after champs. bummmer. i just have to keep telling myself that it's not like it's a lucky magic stick. but i'm still sad. oh well. tell your dad good luck in his triathalon. that's impressive. oooh laddie sounds fun. that's great that you get to ride him. and good job not panicking when the owner arrived. just keep on riding. whoo hoo. that sounds like fun to show him...hopefully in your saddle though! good luck kisses to scotch!

emily: that's horrible! stupid nurses. you should have puked in their lab coats! hee hee. yeah..migraines suck. yeah..it's getting hot here too. up in the mid 80's but so far the humidity isn't quite as bad as it has been. and i know it's coming and i'm certainly NOT complaining, but it's not been quite as hot as it seems it was last year. but maybe that's just cause it's sooooo dry.. we desperately need rain. not as bad as florida, but...we need it. but yeah... i'm enjoying the spring we got this year. usually we get about 2 days of spring then it's muggy hot summer already. congrats on the new saddle! spiffy! good luck at the shows and inspections.

awww poor gabe! you put his pic up with his arse to the world.. its' like those embarassing pics of you on the toilet when you were little.

[ROTFL] poor kid. but glad he got it fixed.

vegas: glad nothing's broken. just be slow about eating [smile] and stay away from hard stuff. think lots of ice cream...and yummy chick-fil-a mint orea milkshakes! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! How exciting. have a fantastic weekend and great birthday. how nice to have it on a holiday weekend, although maybe that's not so nice...competition! he ehee. but have a great birthday.

anyways...so my lesson today was great. it was a fun day. i took fleck to my trainers and left him in the pasture while we went to lunch with three other friends. fun times! then i had my lesson and we really worked on impulsion, connection, getting those up transitions and me...bending my elbows, turning up my thumbs, and not slouching. it was good. at the end fleck was picking up the canter transition with me just thinking it. course then the goober picked it up three times when i thought i was just asking for shoulder in. he says "this will serve you right for making me work". course... i just said, wow if you're that FIT, maybe we should keep working.. but then i was ready to be done. so then he got a bath and we headed home. But not before my trainer gave me like 6 iceypops! and yummmy! those are the best summer treats. i ate all of them before i even got a third of the way home. except when i opened the last one... it shot grape juice all over my windshield and steering wheel!! acckk. i was all sticky. and then she gave me three coupons for free chick-fil-a milkshakes. and...two little see through bags with navy trim. she got some splint boots in them and since they were navy... how cool! lots of prizes for my lesson. so then i just came home and vegged. kinda headachy all day. and since tomorrow is the start of the loooooong weekend, i figured i'd take it easy. gonna sleep in as long as i can tomorrow. although i really want to ride cause ACKKKKK poplar is only like 2 weeks away!!!! but... i will just have to ride hard after monday. it's gonna be bad. so...

yeah.... hope everyone has a safe and happy fun weekend. don't do anything silly. i'll be back on tuesday i'm thinking....so miss me [Wink]

Emily - I saw the picture before I read what you wrote. I about died LOL I'm sorry the show season isn't going as planned. That's a real bummer.

Shantel - Ouch, that's no fun. Hope you feel better soon!

Lisa - Congrats on the awards AND passing your C-1! [Yay]

Tarcy - poor Fess. Hope his foot feels better soon.

Holly - still writing, the speech is next Wednesday. Luckily there is only 4 in my class so even if I do laugh it wont be too embarrassing. That and they are used to me laughing at things that aren't even funny, so they won't be too surprised.

McKenzie - Yay! No more driver's ed.

Andreas Helgstrand is doing a clinic at Equitana Melbourne in Novemeber. [Eek!] I wish I could go watch, but there is no way I could afford to with plane fares and all that. [Frown] Why doesn't money grow on trees? LOL

Not much happening in the riding department. Watched my trainer compete the other day, she came away reserve champion, she could have ridden again to try and get champion, but opted not to because her horse was tired, I thought that was a noble decision.

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there [big Grin]

Holly - Gabriel shows his Arse to world anyways. [Razz] Sounds like our weather... But we're still going between 70s-80s and sunny one day and 50 and pouring rain the next. Which causes MORE migraines because of the drastic weather change... Gah... Being broken sucks. [Frown]

LST - Haha, I love that picture. I want to do something big with it and just let people guess! Poor Gabriel, being exploited. OH NO! I would do ANYTHING to audit that clinic! (If it was in my country, of course... although I wouldn't mind visiting Austrailia! [Razz] ) Congrats to your trainer!

So, turns out, the inspection isn't the weekend I thought it was. oh no nonono, It's the weekend of one of our biggest ACTUAL Dressage shows. Which means we're probably going to Nipomo if we can talk Susan into it... This may take a while...

Popping in before I head to work...

New farrier came at 9 to tack Laylas shoe back on and clean up her feet. WOW. They look so good. Now my current farrier doesnt do a BAD job, I just think it could be better. But hes so great about calling and coming and the prices are really good too. This guy was fantastic and he was $10 more for me ($80 for brand new alums up front and a trim in back) and $15 more for Sarah ($40 for a trim all around). My farrier is out of town until the middle of next month. But since the horses just got done, they wont need to be done for another few weeks. I just dont know how I would break it off with current farrier. Hes a good friend now (came out and fed horses for me night of wedding) and what not. *sigh*

But the great news is...

ITS A GO!

We are breeding tomorrow. Her right folicle was a 17mm on Monday. Today it was a 35, right where she needed it. Her left folicle was pretty small on Monday but its about a 32 today. So yay. Lots of edemia which is good and shes is a really nice heat right now. So she gave her the shot that is going to make her ovulate, and the semen should be here by noon tomorrow. YAY. [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

Lets just hope that she takes!

Off to get dressed for work. I get off at 6 and then will probably ride, but I PROMISE I will get caught up tonight. Lately when I get home, I have time to read a bit and take a shower and go to bed, thats it. So Ill get caught up I promise!

Yay for a baby Layla! Best of luck for a successful breeding and a happy, healthy momma and foal in eleven months or so. [big Grin]

So, how long should I wait for the darn abcess in Fessor's r/f to emerge? I have a call into the vet. A week ago today the vet came out and found that his toe was sore on the r/f and diagnosed an abcess. Since the abcess hadn't yet formed a drainage tract outside, she recommended soaking daily with warm water and epsom salts. A week later, I still have no drainage tract from the abcess. The hoof is still warm to the touch. He's not more lame, but not less so either.

How long do I wait for the abcess to blow? I don't want to wait until the abcess works its way into the corium or find out much later that we have a freak case of laminitis affecting only one hoof and not leading to non-weight bearing lameness.

In retrospect, I should have asked the vet last week how long to wait before calling for another visit. Any suggestions are welcome.

Tracy

[ 05-25-2007, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: TracyA ]

just a quick reply to tracy! i feel your pain. roany is doing the exact same thing. only i'm being a bad mom and not soaking like i should. i really bet it's an abscess. they sometimes take forever!!! just keep checking for digital pulses. if you stick your fingers (don't use your thumb, it's got a mommajomma pulse of it's own) on the side of the pastern, try to feel pulses. also check for heat. and usually if it's laminitis, they HURT BAD!!! it took my mare about an hour to walk up the driveway when she foundered. but... it is scary when they drag it on and on. i'm with you. i know better, yet i'm still sorta freakin' myself out. the other thing to try would maybe be icthamol diapers. soak his foot in the epson salts and then pack it with ichtamol and wrap it in a diaper and duct tape. seriously, the diapers are the best thing for packing feet. roanys' burst after three days last time doing that. and it was immediate relief. she was three legged and down pretty much and i was all crying and hysterical, called the vet, and then went back out and she was up and grazing....and had lots of gnats on her foot. sure enough, it had busted. the other thing might be to try some bute so that he's comfy and keeps moving around to try and work it out. defiantely keep him out if he's comfy enough so that he's not just sitting in his stall. he needs that circulation and pressure to help move it along.

good luck!!! just call the vet and let her know if you are really freakin' out and she'll calm you down. i had to call two of my classmates before i stopped convincing myself that she was dying.

[smile] good luck though.

i'll report back later!!

Dobby – I know you have been having some good and some not so good rides. That’s just the way things go. Don’t let it frustrate you. As for the not so good lesson in front of your sister – sometimes when you want SOOOOO badly to impress someone with your improvements, you put so much pressure on yourself to do well, THAT is when you just can’t live up to the pressure, and you have a not good ride. When I am facing a situation like that, I try not to build myself up so much. I try to just say, “Hey, I’ll do what I can, and if it’s bad, oh well, if it’s good, great.” If I can convince myself of that, and really mean it, then generally the ride will go well. And the biggest thing to remember is that you are your own harshest critic. Even though you think you rode like crap, I’m sure you sister can see the improvements you have made. Also, I don’t think it is that you need to ride better. I think what you need to learn to do is tune out the “railbirds”. WHO CARES what they say?? Honestly, you CAN NOT ride if you are listening to what they are saying. They are distracting you from what you need to be focusing on – Gayla!!! Tune them out. Ignore them. NO ONE cares what they have to say. Just listen to Gayla. Focus on her 100%, and the ONLY other thing you let filter through your focus is your trainer’s voice. THAT’S IT!!! No one else in that arena exists to you. Watch out for other riders though!!! Wouldn’t want a collision!! HA!! The steeplechase sounds like a blast!! Hope the confirmation went smoothly.

Emily – CFS?? No wonder you have been tired recently. Hope you are feeling better. Those are some really messed up ride times. Nothing like killing an ENTIRE day at a single show just for a couple of rides. What a pain!! Seriously, I know you have difficulty swallowing pills, but if you can handle super tiny pills, there is a migraine preventative on the market now that would probably work for you and stop you from ever getting the migraines in the first place. The catch is, and it is a BIG catch for you since you don’t like pills, you have to take the pills twice a day every day forever. Isn’t that worth it for no more migraines though??? Sorry to hear you ended up scratching from most of your rides at the show. Some days just aren’t meant to be. Sounds like you still managed a good test/score on Lipton even though you really weren’t feeling well and hadn’t ridden hardly at all leading up to the show. Congrats on earning your Silver Medal!! Nice a new saddle for Inky!! Excellent!! Glad to hear Gabe got his umbilical all fixed up. So sorry that Stef and Gabe will have to miss Beaujolais. I know how much you were looking forward to that.

Tracy – Oh no, sorry to hear Fess is off as well. Hope he is feeling better soon. Keep us posted. Sounds like you can learn a lot from riding Sam. Abscesses can take a really long time sometimes, but I would put in another call to the vet just to keep him/her apprised and see if he/she can offer any further suggestions.

Holly – The head toss in up canter transitions can the result of a couple of things – a loss of balance/strength issue, him being a butthead and pulling on the reins, you just missing the timing of your half halts by a few seconds here or there, or some lovely combination of any of the aforementioned. The way to fix this issue – repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition!!!!! Just keep working on them. Sounds like you got a couple right, and that’s all that matters. Soon those couple will turn into a few, then half, then the majority and mostly all. It is a slow process of trial and error, but that’s how it’s done!!! Hope Roany is feeling better. I doubt you got ripped off in your saddle fitting. To replace the cair panels with wool takes A LOT of wool, and that is a lot of labor as well. For my saddle, he only had to make small slices in the underside of the saddle and stuff long strands of wool up into the saddle until it was packed tight and full again. There wasn’t and entire saddle deconstruction like yours probably required. Good luck with your marathon weekend at work!!!! HA!! Prizes with your lesson – nice!! The only “prize” I ever get with my lesson is “worked to death”!!! I’m lucky if I have enough energy left at the end of a lesson to drive my sorry self home!!!

Shantel – That sounds like a very painful infection on your chin. Hope it is all healed up. Glad to hear Layla got her shoe taken care of. That’s a tough call to make with the farrier. Sounds like you are rather stuck. Woo-hooo!! Good luck with the breeding on Layla!!!

Boocoo – The Debbie McDonald clinic sounds fantastic!!! Soooo glad to hear that the farrier was awesome. ****, woman, that is A LOT of hay, and I grew up on a beef farm where we baled our own hay, so I know how much work it is to bring in a field of hay. Lucky you for getting the truck driving job!!!! Glad to hear that the shoes made such an improvement in Beau. What a relief!!!

McKenzie – You found a schooling show to go to before your rated show!!! That’s excellent!!! Are you just doing 2-1 at the schooling show, or are you going to do 2-2 as well??? Wow, that’s a tough decision you have to make!!! I think the thing that worries me most is that it is only a *possibility* that the horses will come up for lease, and then even if they do, you don’t know if you will be approved as the lessor, or if your parents will let you lease the horse. What I’m saying is that they opportunity you have with Patty is GUARANTEED. I would hate to see you pass that up for something that is only a possibility. Too many people say, “Oh yeah, I’m *going* to lease my horse, and YOU would be perfect.” You wait and wait and wait, and NOTHING ever comes of it. You can always go to Patty’s and if a horse does become available at Miari, then see what you can work out. Hopefully by the time a horse does become available, you will be driving which will make things much easier. So glad to hear Driver’s Ed is finally over!!! OMG!!! That hay crisis at Miari sounds awful. Glad to hear Teddy isn’t showing any symptoms.

Lisa/Kyalii – Wow, lots of senior awards!! Well done. So glad to hear you nailed your band solo. Congrats on your C-1!!!

Megan – OMG!! How painful!! I can’t believe the gelding caught you in the face like that. Good thing your dad is a dentist and can take a look at your jaw for you!!! Glad to hear the state meet went so well. That is definitely something to be proud of. Glad to hear you are managing to eat a little better. Really good news that you didn’t break your jaw or anything else in your face. Hope you have a GREAT BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

DQ – So glad to hear that you and Jag are making such excellent progress. I knew that the two of you just needed some time to really form a bond.

Lauren – Glad to hear your ride on Laddie went well. That is definitely one of the benefits of boarding at a large barn – when your horse is down, there is almost always another horse around for you to ride. Fingers crossed that the vet figures out what is wrong with Scotch, and it isn’t anything too serious.

So our first show of the season is next Sunday the 3rd – provided this one doesn’t get cancelled. The next clinic with Barend was supposed to be on June 9th, but that HAS been cancelled. See what I mean. Seems like everything keeps getting cancelled. I have been working on 2-1 and 2-2. They are coming along REALLY nicely. I am really happy with the way they are riding right now. Especially the counter canter serpentines in 2-1. This weekend is looking a little busy, but I am hoping Julie and I can find the time to squeeze a lesson in!!!

Hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday weekend!!!!!

~Shelly~