Sign in to follow this  
smithereens_86

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 16!!

Well we are having a boat load of rain. This is so tiresome. Just when I can get back to riding it is going to rain for 4 days. It is pooring. My sons church camping trip is canceled and I can't ride to keep Beau going. Did talk to my new farrier and he suggested Keratex hoof hardener and wait till the ground is dry to ride. If he is still resistant, he is going to come back out and pack those back feet. Hope I get some riding in before my show on June 9th.

I am officially on summer break now till the middle of Aug. Yeah!! [Yay]

Shelly, hope you do well at your show coming up. I know what you mean about everything getting canceled all the time.

3day, what's up with Scotch?

Hope the breeding goes well for Layla, Krazy.

Will do some more catching up later. Off to the barn now to trim Beau up some, since I can't do anything else.

Tell me I'm crazy! I have been lusting after this filly for a week or so since I found her ad online. http://www.equine.com/Horses/ad_details.as...f7-d3568780f5a6

I can't afford another horse, I can't afford another horse, I can't afford another horse... [Duh][bang Head] She's about thirty miles away, and her price has gone down in the past week. Isn't she cute? It doesn't help that I've been having baby envy. It makes no sense to take on a second set of bills when I have no income and would not ride the horse for at least another year...

Tracy

Boocoo - That's nice of your BO, she sounds like a nice lady. Sorry to hear about all that rain, what a bummer. Sorry to hear your son's trip was cancelled, too, will they be able reschedule it? I have a show on June 9th too, and I think Holly does too! [smile]

Lauren - Haha me too! Omg Gucci...ahhhhh [big Grin] . Yeah, the bad thing about shopping is when you go up to the cashier and they give you your total [Wink] - that part sometimes sucks! I am obsessed with sales/clearance...even if I don't REALLY need it, sometimes I am too tempted to buy it. I am good saver, but I will admit, sometimes things like that get the best of me. Icky, vet bills are no fun either!! I am sorry to hear you have to do the lameness exam, but hopefully this will explain things and they will find what's not going to well w/ Scotch, and then you can work from there. Sounds like a pretty good ride, but I imagine it was kinda hard to have the owner there and to have your trainer "on your back" a bit. Sounds like you guys will have fun with each other, and if you can show him, that'd be cool too!

Emily - I too hope that will be lifted by the Beaujolais. Even if it is, I may have Teddy get the vaccination, just in case. I know I will be super nervous for the drive test...I already am, and it won't be until almost Dec. haha [Razz] !! Ohhh nooo! You are still taking Lipton and Inky, right? I think Sammi, Maya and I will all have to come up to Shur'tugal for a little visit [big Grin] They are not going go the Beajolais, but they both got into the Champagne Classic and are probably going to the Aug. Donida show. I forget, are you doing the Aug. Donida show? I am sorry to hear about Gabe's show season, what a bummer!!

Megan - AP classes really are time consuming...my sister took all AP classes her Junior year of HS, and she was up reallllyyy late a lot of nights! The hay situation is kind of frustrating...it's not the BO's fault, and it's obviously impossible to reverse the situation. Some people have had to have the vet out and get treatments, some can't ride and have upcoming shows, etc. So it's a big PITA. Glad you didn't break anything, but it sounds really painful nonetheless. Have a good lesson!

Holly - LOL you make me laugh, Holly - that's a good quality to have [big Grin] . I think I'll have to get one of the massager thingys for Teddy, it sounds helpful and is very affordable, and I'm sure he'd appreciate it. Sounds like a fun but sticky day, hehe. Have fun resting!!

Shantel - Glad things went well with the farrier, that's awesome. And whoot, that is SO exciting about Layla!!! Keep us updated!! [big Grin] (BTW, how are the kitties??)

Tracy - No answer from me, but hope you get everything figured out with Fess.

Shelly - I am most definitely still moving to Patty's, that is for sure happening. Like you said, I can't just wait around for something to happen w/ the lease horses. I think what I am going to do is IF a horse does come up for lease, I could do a full lease at Patty's...we'd (meaning my parents, lol) would pay for board, lessons, farrier work, insurance, etc. However I don't know if the owners of theses horses are insisting they are boarded at Miari, or what...so we'll see. I am really glad I can get Teddy out to the schooling show...I REALLY wanted to do one before my recognized show. If Anita (Ted's owner) comes, she'll do Intro A and B, so I would just do 2-1. If she does not ride him, I think I will do 2-3 in addition to 2-1. Sorry to hear about the cancelled Barend clinic, and hope the show will still be on!!

I am taking Nugget to a show next weekend too! It is an Open English/Western show that is June 2nd and 3rd. English classes are on June 3rd, so we will do a few classes like English Pleasure, etc. Then we have the June 9th dressage schooling show where we will do Intro A and B, and then the July recognized show where we'll be doing the Materiale class.

I am home tired and sorta sick today...so it is a 4 day weekend for me. I got up at 6am, went to my dad's house 'cause I am with him this weekend, and slept from 8am until 12:30pm. I am still tired!! So no riding today, but I am going to the stable to give my friend's horse his medication for his abcessed tooth. The poor guy got a really bad abcessed tooth from the hay issue, plus a swollen eye (which is healed), and bloody/swollen gums. Plus he threw a shoe...he is NOT having good luck!! His owner, my friend Sammi, hasn't ridden in over a week, and won't be able to for probably another week until he is healed up.

Happy Friday everyone!

OK - In my attempt to get caught back up.. Im going back to Page 2 and replying. Bare with me.

Boo - I hear ya about these farriers. I had a new one out today b/c mines gone for another 3 weeks and he did a REALLY good job... but my current farrier isnt BAD he could just be better so Im not sure what to do.. Hope Beau is feeling better soon! Have fun at the clinic!

Kya - WTG on the awards and passing your C1!!

luv - Thats a lot to have on your plate. I would sit down and write down your prorities and list the cons and pros of each situation. Figure out what means the most and go for it.

Tracy - Glad to hear its just an abcess with Fess and nothing major. Hope it comes out soon!

Emily - Sounds like a cool place you went to. And hopefully the show goes well. Migraines SUCK.

Boo - Sounds like the clinic was a blast. I wish we would have more opportunities like that over here.

Vegas - Can we say OUCH? That really sucks. That infection I had on my chin made my left TMJ and left side of my neck hurt. Eventually it started hurting my bottom teeth. No fun at all. Hope you are doing better!

deeque - Hey stranger!! Glad to hear you and Jag are starting to really click. I really want to see pics of you two! Hes such a handsome little bugger. Good luck with the shows!

Shelly - WTG! Thats so great to get such compliments at the clinic. You and Raz are such a great team. I need more pics! I love seeing you two!

Holly - WTG on the show. Thats awesome. I remember my first show when I got into the 20s.. I got a 27. And I was showing Notice Test B I believe it was.. and since it was a mostly dressage show with a pony club event going on, they lumped all the eventing dressage people together. So I was showing against people who were going Prelim and Int. And I got 3rd, and the 2 people above me were professionals and one had short listed for the Olympics! So I felt great then!

luv - congrats on your medal. I think it was a good idea to scratch too, based on your reports of things. Next show will be better!

Tracy - Its a hard thing to do but it really is for the best. Dont feel like a beginner riding Sam, because no matter how good you are, there are always things to learn. Embrace this opportunity and really soak it up.

Vegas - Crazy stuff with the jaw. Sounds like we were suffering through similar things. I couldnt get my mouth open enough to bite a donut either. Sucks huh?!?

3Day, hopefully the vet can get Scotch figured out. And what a great opportunity with riding the TB! Hope that works out!

Boo - Whew! Thats a lot of hay. Smart you for driving the truck! And silly Beau! He doesnt like machinery eh?

Vegas - How cool that your dad is a dentist.. at least for me since Im going to school for dental assisting. Hopefully theres nothing really serious going on with your TMJ. I found warm compresses or just keeping my jaw under hot water helped and a lot of Advil.

dobby - Glad to hear Gayla is starting to click and try harder for you. In the nick of time eh?

Fleck - Dont you LOVE Poplar Place? It suchs an amazing facility. I drive by it every time I go see my family in Pine Mountain.

Tracy - My old farrier would try to dig down to the abcess if it was in an area that was accessable. Sometimes they can take a LONG time to blow out. Hope it decides to come out soon though.

Shelly - yes I got the infection on my chin gone but now the one on my upper thigh has decided its time to drain. Luckily its pretty much done now too and is healing. I had blood drawn to see what was going on but everything was normal. But the thing on my chin was the same thing I had in my nose like a month ago. So who knows?

Boo - Send some of that rain this way, PLEASE? My grass is barely growing! Its so dry here.

Tracy - She certainly IS cute.. but you dont need another horse.. you dont need another horse.. but you WANT another horse, eh? LOL

WHEW. I did it. I really need to stay on top of this!

So as I said, everything is a go with Laylas breeding tomorrow! YAY. Thanks for all the well wishes. I hope she takes!

Today was a pretty fun day at work. I guess b/c its a long weekend, but we were all being silly and singing and dancing and cracking jokes, even my assist mangr and mangr. So it was nice and relaxed.

Then I got home and The Moms wants to go shopping. I tell her I have no money, but she says she'll buy me some stuff. So we went to JC Penneys and got some Sketchers flip flops and then I stopped by this store Dots and got some jeans and cute tops (place is UBER cheap and cute) then we went and ate at Chilis. Randy got off and met up there. Now hes watching the finale of Lost (which made even MORE questions for me.. Crazy) and Im in here catching up.

What should I do about this farrier situation guys?! AHHH. Ive been just watching what the current farrier does with the feet. He really has done a great job with Laylas feet. But like Bens, he keeps having this REALLY long cracks in the center of his fronts and the farrier never REALLY addresses them. Though I ask. And the way Laylas feet looked today.. WOW. I am on really good terms with current farrier (hes younger, close to my age, so we click really well) and dont have any like solid complaints.. I just like what this new guy did even better. WHAT DO I DO.

Oh and Kitties are doing great. When the vet came out to check Layla she gave them their first round of shots. They have to get boosted in 2 weeks and then the last shot they get is rabies. Then in like 2-3 weeks they should be getting spayed. They are VERY playful and are having a blast in the barn. They follow me all around like ducklings and Im the momma. Very cute.

School is going great. We are learning Xrays and I love it. Ive already done all the Xrays I need on the dummy and now I have to wait to take the state test so I can work on humans. I made a 23/24 on my first set, 24/24 on my 2nd set (those were just 4 xrays each) and then a 105/108 on my first full mouth set of xrays. So not too bad! [big Grin]

I keep forgetting to upload the pics of The Moms sky diving last weekend. Ill have to do that tomorrow. Its WAY cool.

Sperm should be getting here tomorrow no later than noon. YAY. This is very exciting.

Oh. And Barbara (owner of the barn Sarah and I used to board at) is moving so everything she has is for sale. So we are getting 2 of the big water troughs for $25 each! Sweet deal. Step dad and uncle got the electric tape up today.. it really looks good. So Ill take pics of that tomorrow too. Once this grass grows, we can start riding out there and turning them out. But its so freaking dry.. Ugh.

Oh well. Thats my update. Hope everyone has a happy and SAFE Memorial weekend!

okay, work wasn't too bad today so i got out on time, so.. while i'm eating my late night snack... it'll be quick.

tracy; OHMYGOSHHHH you have to buy her. she's freakin' gorgeous!! and it sounds like you'll have a lot of work before you can ride her to do anyways. wow.... it's a good thing she's far away from me. [Wink] let me know what you decide. fancy schmancy!

boocoo: send the rain down south!!! it's sooo dry here. but that sucks for you. the keratex is great stuff. it's pricey. like $40/bottle, but it does work well on toughening up their feet. just don't put it on the frog or the coronary band. i think it's got formaldehyde in it. not very natural, but.. good stuff. you'll do great at your show.

kay, that's all i remember....and now my donuts are gone, so... off to bed!

Holly, YOU'RE NOT HELPING! You're right though, she is cute. First thing would be to put some basic handling on the Gypsy, next would be to let the mane grow. Can you imagine that black and white mane all long and flowing like an Andalusian? [big Grin]

Tracy

Vet came. Semen is IN! Shes going to check her tomorrow to make sure shes not holding onto any fluid and then check her in 17 days to see if she took! YAY.

Okay, just a quick post before I leave for dinner....the lesson went well today, though it was not the best. We had some refusals, but some were my fault and some were because we have not done cross country in five months. But we got in the water without too much difficulty which was what I wanted to work on.

I will read everything and catch up later, but right now I have to go unsmell like horse and make myself look like a girl.

Okay, as promised I have pictures from today for you, but before you go and get all excited, let me warn you, they are just some warming up photos so they are nothing too spectacular. My friend started taking a bunch of warming up pictures, then she got totally into watching me ride my tests and was too enthralled with “judging” my tests for me to take pictures!!! HA!! That’s okay. I have a show next weekend so hopefully I’ll get some pictures then. At least you get a chance to see him with his “power red” on in these pics!!!

As for the pics, I really hadn't picked him up yet. Still just getting him going. These were the first canters of the day, but you can really see the difference between the right and left lead canters. How much stronger he is to the right, but at least he no long looks like he is tipping over to the left. Just doesn't "sit" as much to the left as he can to the right, and again, he still hadn't fully warmed up, so take it for what it's worth.

Oh, and I’m including a picture of the drawing that my friend did of Razzle as well. It is really cool. Just a head shot that she did from an old photo she took a couple of years ago at a show she came to with us. It came out really nice. She surprised me with it, and gave it to me as a present on the condition that I hang it in the barn for awhile with a bunch of her business cards!!

Holly, notice in this picture that Raz is trying to slide his haunches out to the left (outside) – his favorite direction to slide his haunches – and I have moved my outside leg back to catch the haunches and move them back in line with the shoulders. I was REALLY happy my friend happened to catch this in one of the photos!! I immediately thought of you.

-

Compare the next two canter photos, and you will notice how much stronger his right lead is over his left lead:

Left lead:

-

Right lead:

-

And one more right lead shot which needs a half halt, but this is exactly the wrong time to half halt, so I need to wait until the head comes up again before the half halt will be effective:

-

And the drawing:

-

So there are the warm up shots. Hopefully I will get some real working shots next weekend at the show!!!

~Shelly~

Shantel - YAY! Good to hear she's being bred! (Just pray she takes! [Wink] )

Shelly - My CFS has gotten SO much better! (I didn't even realise I HAD it). Yeah, I still have the PM you sent me about the pills. I want to go to my mom's doctor and talk to him about it, seeing as all the neurologists in the area are really rude, and I still go to a pediatrition, so I don't really think he'd know a lot about stuff like that (Maybe, but still...). Missing Beaujolais is going to suck, but Gabe'll go to the ODS Breeders Showcase in Oregon, so we're good. Glad to hear the tests are coming together nicely! Good luck in your show!

Tracy - Ooh! Cute Filly! Just remember: Horses are like potato chips, you can't have just one. [smile] (I know, I'm not much help. =p )

McKenzie - Yeah, Lipton and Inky are still going, and of COURSE you'll have to come for a visit! I don't usually go to the August Donida show, but if my trainer or any of her clients do I usually go groom... I might go this year, I'm not sure. Gabe's show season has been fixed! YAY! Less than a month till Beaujolais! I so can't wait! Ick! Poor horse! This just isn't his week.

I think that's about caught up... Gabriel and Stefanie are going to Nipomo, CA in September. We're going to start looking for Barns and hotels for on the way down there. This also means that Gabe is going to the ODS Breeders Showcase, and then probably NWSHBC! YAY! I plan to send his regestration papers in on Tuesday, as well as some entry forms for some shows.

Inky was amazing today, and It's so weird having something to actually put my leg against with the new saddle! Lipton was really good for Emma, too. Showing tomorow! Wish us luck!

For those who might be intrested: Xanders Dreamhorse Ad

Boocoo – Sorry to hear abut all the rain. Hope you get some sunshine soon so that you can get some riding in before your show!!!

Tracy – Are you SURE you really want a baby?? They are A LOT of work, and there are no guarantees about their temperaments. This one sounds like it hasn’t been handled very much either. I think you might be getting more than you are bargaining for. Green is one thing, but baby is entirely different. Just throwing that out there.

McKenzie – I think moving to Patty’s and hoping to get a full lease on one of the Miari horses at Patty’s is the wisest decision. You just never know IF one of those horses will come up for lease or not, so I think you are definitely best to take the sure thing and go back with Patty. We’ll just all keep our fingers crossed that a Miari horse comes available, and the owner agrees to an off farm lease. Well the Barend clinic has been rescheduled from June 9th to June 24th, so that’s good. Ooohh, you and I will both be showing next weekend. How fun!!! Good luck!!!!

Shantel – Hope your infection gets cleared up. Sounds very painful. I have NO idea what to tell you about the farrier situation. That is a really tough one. Can you talk to your friend farrier about the cracks that Ben keeps getting and see if they get addressed? Then if they still don’t you have a solid reason for switching. Or perhaps you can just phase him out. Only call him every other time. Alternate between the two farriers, then start calling your friend farrier less and less. I don’t know. That is a really tough call. Fingers crossed that Layla took!!!

Megan – Glad to hear the lesson went well.

Emily – I hear you on neurologists being rude – isn’t that always the way!!! Glad to hear Gabe’s show season is back on track. Sounds like the new saddle for Inky is working out well. That’s great news. Love Xander’s ad. Very well written. He is soooo cute.

Okay, off to do some work for the store. Lesson tomorrow to try to iron out some of the “blips” in the tests with Julie. Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day weekend!!!!

~Shelly~

Luv, good luck at the show.

Krazy, fingers crossed that Layla took!

Tracy, that filly is cute, but she looks a bit longish, which may make it difficult for collection later on. And no, you don't need another horse right now! [big Grin]

Shelly, good pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Flecken, the Keratex says to put it on the soles and frogs to aide in hardening and especially in wet weather.

We are going to go buy some Kayaks tomorrow so we can paddle around on the lakes this summer.

Went to see Pirates of the Carribean and who should be sitting two rows in front of me but my boss & her son. To funny!

I promise to catch up with everyone tomorrow, I'm so tired. [Crazy]

Just thought I'd stop in for a quick update. Had my lesson yesterday, it was so good, I felt like I was progressing, which is good LOL. [Cool]

Went to ride again today and Lightning's lame. Looks like it's back to the vets to get his hocks done again. Hoping to get that done ASAP, but we have to see when the guy from the Uni is coming down. The drop in temperature for winter probably isn't helping his joints any.

Hope everyone has a good day! [smiley Wavey]

Okay, I'm pretty much only replying to the most recent posts because I fail, again. Don't worry - once schools out you guys are gonna get sick of me [Razz]

Shelly - Thats too bad about the clinic [Frown] And you have a show on the same day I graduate! Have fun, good luck, and get pics! And wow, Raz is very handsome! I LOVE him in the red.

Boocoo - Yuck, rains no fun! Is there some way you could ride in the rain? I dunno, sometimes footing doesnt work for that, but I've done it before when I've HAD to ride. I get it from my trainer - before I was at a barn with an indoor, we'd do outdoor lessons in the rain. It was nuts. And yay for summer break!

McKenzie - Aww, that sucks for your friend - horses can be a drag sometimes. However, you have fun with Nugget at your shows!

Shantel - wow, you're certainly more motivated than I am when it comes to replying to this board! Ah well. OMG LOST was CRAZY - can you believe we have to wait until January for more?! Thats gonna be killer. Good job on your X-ray stuff! What do they test you on? Just how you take it, or how you read it?

Holly - mmmm, doughnuts (most pointless reply ever? Probably)

Emily - Oh noes! you're missing Beaujolais?! WHYY?!

LST: Awww, lame horse, no fun [Frown]

As for me, school is still killing me. But I have 2 and a half days left. Honestly, could college really be worse than this? I'm beginning to think theres no way it could be. They don't give you finals in college on things you never learned in class, and got crossed off of the sylabus do they? I mean, I can understand if it was on the sylabus, it was our responsibility to learn it (though a teacher's mention of it is always great), but when they CROSS IT OFF OF THE SYLABUS, and say we're not going to get to it, and then tell you its going to be an ESSAY on the final... Somedays, I wonder about my bio teacher

I rode for the first time in a week yesterday - it was awesome. First I rode my trainer's horse Sirus. Not Sirius, Sirus. Like Sy-Russ. If you call him Sirius... well, just don't do it. Anyway. Hes a 17 hand monster, and I'm 5'1" and used to Hattan, whos 15.1 on a good day with shoes. I've been grooming this horse and doing his tack for like 8 months, but this is the first time I've been allowed on him. It was fun - hes an insanely difficult ride, and such a change from Hattan!

And then I rode Hattan, who felt like a real pony after Sirus. It was fun though.

AND I saw POTC3 yesterday and HOLY CRAP everybody needs to see that movie. Because I said so, thats why

Okay there's like no freaking way I'm going to catch up with everyone, though you will probably get sick of me in the summer too [big Grin]

Anyway, a little update from the Megan: Life sucks. We never actually made it to the restaurant last night...first of all, the group went from my siblings and their spouses plus my sister's baby, my parents, and my best friend, to just me and my parents. Then, by the time we were halfway there (it's like an hour away) Mom got REALLY sick, so we had to take her to the ER, then about an hour after we were there, I came down with the same thing, which consists of a lot of vomiting and many other unpleasant things. So, Dad took me home then went back up to get Mom, and I was sick aaaalllll night. When I woke up at nine, I could hardly move I was so weak and tired. Dad fed the ponies for me, and I went downstairs and crashed on the couch. I have been here since.

but now I feel a LOT better. I actually have something resembling energy. I'm even a little hungry, so I will eat toast or cereal or something. I'm also thinking about going out to ride...Vegas misses me [Wink]

By the way, happy birthday to me.

Happy birthday, Megan. I hope you feel better quickly!

You will all be happy to know that I have resisted the temptation to go see the cute filly. Seeing her will just make it harder to keep in mind that I can really only afford ONE horse. As for the fact she is a baby -- that's part of the attraction. We have a couple nice babies around, and I have been fighting off baby envy for several months. The older of the youngsters JUST started under saddle and is doing fantastic! So yes, I have not yet started baby horse envy.

In good news, Fessor seems to be becoming sound again. I'm pleased but confused. The supposed abcess has not erupted, but today Fessor was looking mostly sound at the walk and trot on the lunge line. Wierd, huh? The only thing I can think of is that he didn't really abcess, just bruised the sole of his hoof under his toe. Just in case it IS an abcess, I'll go ahead and keep soaking the packing/wrapping the hoof with icthamol for a couple more days. I never did hear back from the vet, in spite of two calls to the office on Friday! I plan to call and harass them a bit on Tuesday, asking for an after hours call next time if the vets can't get to me during business hours.

My first dressage show with Fessor is June 16. Hopefully he'll be sound and we'll be in practice by then. I'm still deciding what tests to ride in. I would *like* to ride Training Level 3 & 4, but we'll see. T 1&2 seem a bit boring, 3&4 seem to have more going on in them. Who knows, maybe by the fall we'll be ready to try a first level test or two...

Tracy

Woohoo Tracy! It's always nice to have a sound horse. That's crazy that the vet didn't call you back, I would definitely be doing some harassing there. Oooh congrats on resisting baby envy! It's so hard to wait to breed Vegas with all the babies I play with at school! Thanks, I do feel much better, I even longed my pony to loosen up after the hard lesson yesterday.

Shelly - AWWW! I love the pictures... Okay, so I love Razzle. [Razz] Ever watch House? Yeah, this doctor kinda reminded me of him... Except I was SEVEN. Yeaaah...

Boocoo - ZOMGPIRATES-SPAZFLAIL- How much did you love it?!

LST - The weather change probably didn't help. It totally threw me off, cause I forgot you were in Austrailia for a sec there, so my first reaction was totally "What the heck, it's summer!"

Lisa - Gabe and Stef are missing Beaujolais because of the stupid Rhino Outbreak at the track. You bio teacher = Cwazy. Can I call him Sirius anyways? =D I warned Emma about that one scene, about how she won't know whether she wants to laugh or cry. Hah!

Megan - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry about getting sick, sounds gross and icky and not fun. =( But Happy birthday anyways!

OKAY! I've gotten 2 responses on Xander, one seems a bit more serious than the other... I'm not really sure if I want to sell my horse to someone who doesn't understasnd "Tack and equipment available for additional price"... Yeaaah... Not so much...

l'Aperitif! Oh, my, gosh! Today, I am the most proud of my horse I have ever been in my life. EVER. Apperently, Inky goes better in the rain! (SUCH a Northwest horse!) Our first ride was Training 4 Qualifying, we got a SIXTY EIGHT! That's the highest score I've EVER gotten at a recognized show at ANY level, as well as the FIRST USDF qualifying score I've EVER Gotten on Inky! So then he got to hang in the trailer for a couple hours, we hung him a haynet and a bucket of water so he had something to do if he wanted. EQ was pretty good, we won (Our first time placing top 3! ...okay, so there were only 2 of us, so what?), but we only got a 61%. I will say it was NOT our best round ever, but the new saddle has DEFFINATELY been benefiting. My trainers stirrup irons are too small for me though, so they keep getting caught on my spur straps/boot laces, so my stirrup gets caught on my foot then my feet and ankles bounce around and it doesn't look pretty. But we still won! We got a Medal, and a Ribbon, and this AWESOME vase thingie that says "l'Aperitif 2007, Dressage Equitation, 14-18" etched in glass. I'll take pics of it eventually! So then we went back to Shur'tugal and picked up Tammy and Volair, and went back and Inky got to hang in the trailer a little longer. So then we went for our 1-4. He was still being a superstar in the warmup, but you could tell we were both getting a little tired and uncoordinated (Espicially with each other). We got a 60.263%, very deservingly. We got 4's where we deserved them, and 5's, 6's, 7's, and even an 8 where we deserved them. It was judged VERY fairly, the only thing I didn't like was that she didn't like our canter work. It really baffles me because it was the best canter work we've EVER done in any test, according to myself (how he felt under me) and my trainer (watched bits and pieces). I guess I'll go back and watch the videos with my tests in hand to see where she was getting this idea. We got 2nd for our 1st level, and (as I forgot to mention it eairler) we tied for 1st in our Training level class, but wound up with 2nd after the tiebreaker.

Overall, a very successful weekend. I don't think we have another USDF show until Mid-june and then Lipton's the only one going to that one, and they're both going to Beaujolais, and then Inky's going to the WEC June. (All back to back weekends, plus a Jumper show the weekend before Benefit, with Inky). That way no horse is going more than 2 weekends in a row.

Hope everyone has a good Holiday tomorow!

I don't have time right now to respond, but I DID read all the replies...

Emily, congratulations!! A 68% is really awesome [big Grin] Any pictures??

Hope everyone is doing well!

Alrighty time to catch up..

Emily - That is a bummer about the inspection being on the same day as the show. Haha it did take me a while to work out which bit was which. Xander's ad is great. He is incredibly cute. Hope the show went well! YAY go Inky. Haha he's a rain pony. Sounds like a great show, well done!

Boocoo - Send your rain this way [smiley Wavey] LOL. I am sorry it is cruddy weather though. Yay for spring break! Kayaks! Sounds like a great idea to go paddling.

Tracy - That filly is gorgeous! Really nice..really really nice. [smile] I'm glad Fessor is recovering from his mysery lameness. It is rather unprofessional of the vet not to call back though. Hopefully he will stay sound so you can show!

Shantel - Yay for Layla! How exciting for you! I hope she took.

Shelly - [Eek!] Raz is such a stud muffin. I didn't realise he was that big though [Eek!] He looks very snazzy in his reds. That drawing your friend did is brilliant!

Lisa - Yay, 2 and a half days left! Sounds like Sirus is a big (17h) challenge, will you get to ride him again? I still have to see the first 2 POTC movies. It seems I am the only person that hasn't seen them yet. LOL

Megan - Oh no! What a disappointment. I'm sorry you never made it to dinner. I hope you and your mum feel better soon. Happy Birthday!! [Yay]

Not much news, just waiting on the vet to tell us when the Uni guy will be down to do Lightning's hocks. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Okay...I had to pop in here and admit that I follow along and read about all of you and have never posted. Soooo, I have decided that isn't fair, and if you don't all mind...I would like to start in too!?

Boo-I saw on the news this morning about all of the rain in Texas!! WOW! I don't have an indoor either and I got rained out yesterday too. I hope Beau is feeling better!

Krazy-I have 2 six week old kittens...want me to send them down too? HAHAHA. Actually, I am very attached to the little boogers!

Holly-Donuts at 1:30 am and you are soooo skinny...ahg, I am jealous! [big Grin]

Shelly-Great pictures! I like 2-2 better then 2-1, you will do great! They won't cancel this one as everyone will be ready to go.

Ok, drama in my life...as some of you know, one of my dogs had back surgery in Jan and he isn't doing that great. We are waiting on test results tomorrow to see if we can fix him up. Poet, my schoolmaster, has told me that his arthritis is too much and he doesn't want to show upper levels anymore...so I have found him a retirement home and he leaves in 2 weeks. In the time I have stopped riding him his attitude has changed and he has gained 60 or so lbs...hmmmm, I think he deserves this:-) Winston, my old QH, showed us some stiffness this spring and I thought he might be done...got his hocks done and he is a brand new horse! I hope to get him out before the end of the year. So, that leaves me showing intro on Mr. Beckham all summer...hehehehe. He is soooo much fun though and I looking forward to enjoying are steps through each level together! I think he gets bigger and stronger everyday!!! We have his first rated show the 8th and 9th.

I got called in for Jury Duty for 2 weeks starting in one week...my little paid vacation! Looks like I will be on here a lot! I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday, this is the first one I haven't actually worked on in a while:-) I planted a new tree and went shopping! Take care everyone!!!

Emily: Wow, sounds like you had a great show! That is awesome that you had such great results!

LST: I had a pretty good birthday, by the afternoon I was feeling fine so I went out and longed my pony.

Beckham: WELCOME!!!!! Kudos to you for actually reading our crazy chitchatness without posting, that is dedication! Anyway, we all look forward to reading your posts. That's too bad that your schoolmaster is retiring, but he'll have a good life I'm sure. Hooray for your QH feeling better though!

Okay, so I feel totally fine now, though I am still a little tired and I don't have the world's biggest appetite...mom is still a little sick, but she doesn't have a very good immune system. Dad got sick last night, but he is like bionic or something because he is getting over it faster than I did! He is still a little sicj though. Whatever it is though, it is definitely viral and highly contagious, because everyine in my family has gotten it, starting with my sister's baby. Her parents got it, my cousins who went over to my sister got it, me, my parents, so we will see if anyone else gets it.

So we might do a belated party tonight or something, if everyone is feeling fine...apparently my birthday present is still in the mail, so it will be here Tuesday, though I did get a book (the USDF Guide to Dressage - VERY GOOD!!!) and a pretty stock tie and a hair clip with a snaffle on it. Mom picked those up at a tack shop in the area. They are very nice.

So that's all that's going on here, right now I am just chillin on the couch watching a Band of Brothers Marathon on the History Channel...it's a pretty good series.

Have a good holiday everyone!

McKenzie - My gosh Carolynn gets pictures up fast! I'll post the link at the bottom (I checked and didn't expect them to be there!) Also, when mom goes to transfer to the video, I'll the still pics off of there with our Medal!

LST - Waiting sucks... You could be like me and sit down and watch all 10 hours of LotR at once... that'll burn some time!

Beckham - WELCOME! Sorry to hear about your dog. [Frown] Working up through the levels is fun! Ick... Jury duty... Never done it, never want to. [Razz]

Megan - Glad to hear you're staring to feel better! Still sounds icky though...

Pictures! My gosh Carolynn is fast! I checked today and there they were! Here they are! My favourites are 6, 12, and 20... Poor Carolynn was out in the rain ALL DAY! You can tell that we were SOAKED!

Oh man, I am wayyyy behind! Here goes...

Boocoo - Oh you luck! I cannot WAIT until my school gets out!!

Shantel - Yes, it would be hard to be at like 2/3 places (Miari, Patty's place and Nugget's owners home)...prioritizing is going to be the key! Sounds like work is going great, and hey, shopping is always fun [Wink] !

Megan - Ick, literally EVERYONE got the flu/sickness, that's awful. Happy Birthday though, and glad you are feeling better! Let us know what you get in the mail [Razz] , sounds like you got some good stuff already! I read through the USDF Guide to Dressage, it's a neat book.

Shelly - You and Raz look very nice! I LOVE the red on him, very attractive. I like your breeches, too, what brand are they? That drawing is amazing, too, I wish I had that talent! I got left out of the gene pool on that one (my mom is an artist and apparently my sister got that talent, I sure as heck didn't).

Emily - I know, it's probably a good thing Sammi (the horse Valentine's owner) did not sign up for the Beaujolais, because she still can't ride and hasn't for the past 1.5/2 wks. or so. Congrats again on your score on Inky, you must be super proud!! Nice pictures too, and wow, Carolynn did get those up fast, that's awesome.

Shelly - Me too. I know it is the right decision, and I will just keep my eyes peeled for any possible schoolmasters. That's good news about the rescheduled clinic, I wanted to go to one before my first show, but it'll have to wait until after. I am hopefully getting Teddy out to the June 9th schooling show, however the poor guy has a sore back and I am not sure if/when the chiro can come out, so we'll see.

LST - That IS good news!! Hope you can get his hocks done sooner than later [smile]

Lisa - Thanks! And you're lucky too, 2.5 days!! Ahhh. I am almost done, I am almost done....just gotta keep repeating that to myself [Wink] . Wow, 17 hands, holy cow! That's a substantial horse, lol. I am sure he'll be a great teacher!

Tracy - Even though babies are totally tempting, I think not getting one NOW is for the best, financially and time-wise. Oh how I'd love to get one myself! Someday, huh? Well its good to hear Fess is getting more sound, hope he continues on that track. I am sure you guys will do fantastic at your show, I have one pretty soon after too (June 223nd).

Beckham - I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I will keep in him my thoughts and hope everything works out. Congrats on finding Poet a new home, though I imagine that was rather hard, too, since schoolmasters can teach so much. However, it does sound he has earned his retirement and will be happy! That's what matters. Ickkkk, Jury Duty? I think my mom just got called in, too, bummer...

I rode Nugget, Alibi and Ellie yesterday. Ellie is another one of Nugget's owners horses. She is a 15.3h OTTB, who has been OTT for 3 years now, but has only been ridden about 9 times since then. Yesterdays ride made my 3rd time on her. She's a sweet little thing, just does not know much. With more time and muscle I think she'll make someone a nice hunter. I jumped Alibi about 2' and she really enjoys it, I need to take some jumping lessons though, as it's not my area of knowledge!! I still enjoy it though. Patty used to event and went through Prelim, so maybe I'll get Ali over to her arena one day and take a lesson or something. We'll see. I also had a lesson w/ Patty on Nugget today, and then rode Alibi after. Nugget was good, Alibi not so much. We had an Arab mare day, lol.

We found and bought a saddle for Nugget, it's a 17" (I am usually a 16.5", but it fits well) Stubben, not sure of the model. It fits us both and is in good condition, so I'm happy.

We have our first show next weekend, and if he is good being in the arena with other horses and at a new place (I am sure he will be fine, but we'll just play it by ear) the we will enter a class or two. We are mainly going just to get him out and for the experience.

Beckham - Post away! I'm sorry your pup isn't doing so good. It's good that you have found Poet a retirement home, I'm sure he will enjoy being a pasture puff. It's good that Winston, hehe he has such a cute name, is feeling better. Lightning's only had his hocks done once but the difference in him after he had them done was amazing.

Megan - Glad you are feeling better!! Sounds like it's been around.

Emily - [ROTFL] that would take up quite a lot of time.

McKenzie - Sounds like some good ridea you've had. Ellie sounds sweet. Yay new saddle! Mmm I love Stubbens, especially the older ones.

So Uni guy is coming down next Monday, so Lightning will be packed off to the vets then. So now just enough exercise to keep him moving, and bute.

Another horse has traumatic laminitis, from a shoe job. Poor guy, they got to it quick so he should be good. Right after the last visit with a different farrier resulted in a corn. Poor guy.

Look I made 2 posts on the same page. Aren't you proud. I'm keeping up! [Cool][Razz]

[ 05-29-2007, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: O- -O Lightning Strikes Twice O- -O ]

Boocoo – Have fun with the Kayaks. When I was in law school, one of my best friends was a Kayak instructor. He was teaching my other best friend how to kayak so that he could take her on some mini-white water excursions with him. I spent long hours sitting at lake side studying watching the two of them in the lake practicing “rolls”.

Lisa/LST – Oh no, sorry to hear Lightning is lame is again. Are you sure it is his hocks?? As I recall, you had his hocks done just a few weeks before I had Razzie’s hocks done which would mean late February or early March. It is a little soon to be having them done again already isn’t it?? Or perhaps it depends on how much was done the last time?? Razzle is a lot bigger than most people realize, even the people at the barn that know him personally don’t usually realize how tall he is. He is 16.1hh, so he is a big boy, not to mention that in the past year or so, he has really filled out muscle wise. Good luck getting Lightening all fixed up!!

Lisa/Kyalii – Sounds like your bio teacher gave a very unfair final. No things should not be on the final that were crossed off the syllabus. Sirus sounds like a very neat horse. I bet Hattan felt very small after riding Sirus!!

Megan – How awful!! I can’t believe you got so sick on your birthday!! That’s terrible. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Great presents. The USDF book is a really good one. I have that one.

Tracy – Glad to hear Fessor is feeling better. Hope you get some practice in before your show.

Emily – OMG – a House-like neurologist – how NOT fun does that sound?!?!?! HA!!! Hmm, doesn’t understand tack sold separately?? Have you gotten this one yet . . . “My husband weighs in excess of 250lbs. Would Xander make a suitable mount for him??” [Eek!][ROTFL] Perhaps don’t sell him to anyone asking that question either!!! Poor Xander!!! GREAT SHOW!!! Those are fantastic scores. Sounds like Inky really does like the rain better!!! Well done!! Congrats!! The kids and I did a LotR marathon once, and I have the LONG EXTENDED DVD versions, so I think it was closer to 12 hours. NICE!!!! You just have to make sure you are well stocked up on soda and munchies before you begin!!! Those are fantastic pictures!! I think #6 was the best.

Shelley – I know that Ozzy’s back surgery has been causing you a lot of stress recently. I hope the vet gives you some real, honest answers this time instead of just the run around and insincere promises. It can’t be easy toting him around the way you have been and not seeing any real progression in his healing. Sounds like you made the right decision for Poet. I can’t believe he has put on that much weight. That horse has always been an incredibly hard keeper. It’s going to be very difficult to send him off, but I think his time has definitely come. Fantastic news about Winston!!! That is so great that his hock injections bounced him back like that. And look at it this way, with the extra riding time you have, Beckham may just improve at a lot faster rate than you expected!!! Jury duty may be dull, but at least it is time off of work!!!

McKenzie – The breeches are RTS breeches, and one of my favorite pairs. I love them. I’m with you on the drawing talent – I have NONE!!! Sounds like you are making good progress with Ellie. Wow, you are making quite the little jumper out of Alibi!!! Good luck on your first show with Nugget. I’m sure he will be fine.

Well I had a killer hour and a half lesson with Julie on Sunday. Just brutal. One of those, ride the test, fix this, fix that, ride the test again, fix more, ride the test again. *sigh* By the end, I was toast, and Raz looked like he could go another hour. He wasn’t even breathing hard. Brat!!! We fixed A LOT, but darn was I wiped out by the time Julie decided I had had enough. Don’t think she was entirely satisfied, but I was DONE!!! She had nitpicked me to death!!! Then yesterday, Jack decided to buy and plant all of our annual flowers and the small veggie patch that we do each year. OMG, I’M DEAD!! He went way overboard and bought nearly 150 flowers, and 3 dozen veggie plants. We got them home and said to me, “Do you need help planting??” [Eek!] Ahhhh, YES!!!!!!! We planted all of the flowers, and my back is KILLING me today. Never got to the veggies. They are still waiting for me, but I have to ride tonight, so they will have to wait until tomorrow night. Have to get everything planted ASAP though because we have the show this weekend and then next weekend is George’s graduation party, and we will have roughly 100 or so people at the house for his graduation party. YIKES!!! Trying to get everything looking nice before then. Have I mentioned I’m DEAD!!!

~Shelly~

I read all the posts, but I really dont have the energy to reply right now, HOWEVER, Stef's baby found me! The owner of her TB colt found my video of her on You Tube and we've been emailing back and forth for the last day or so with pictures and info on Stef and "Colby" He's so cute! He's been eventing Novice down in California, and it sounds like they're doing really well! I'll give everyone more info later, here are the pics I have of him:

-

-

Shelley - Yeah, I think it's been almost 4 months since they were done the first time. They said when they were done then that there really is no way to tell how long they will last, it varies between horses. Winter has also hit, and where he is it gets COLD very suddenly, so that probably helped bring it on, as with other arthritis sufferers cold seems to affect it. Because it was his first one it was just a see what happens kind of thing, and when he gets them done a few times we're hoping it might build up and last longer. It is expected to last around 3, 6, or 12 months depending on the horse, so we will see.

Hehe dressage boot camp. [Eek!] That's a lot of flowers. I hope you feel not so dead soon. lol. I hate that feeling. Good luck getting the rest planted, it sounds like a huge task! Good luck at the show too!

Emily - Wow, that's great that they found you! [Yay] What are the odds of that, lol.Colby is such a cute name. He sure is a looker.

My horse officially has me confused. Still no abcess, sound at the walk and trot on the lunge, sound at the walk, trot, and canter under saddle. The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't really an abcess. Maybe he just bruised his sole near the toe? I don't know, but it's good to see Fess feeling better. I was only going to walk for a few minutes, but he made it clear that just walking was boring. The biggest laugh was probably me riding his trot in jumping position in our dressage saddle as Fessor said, no, let's canter instead. [smile] So I posted long enough to get a bit of trot, then let the silly boy canter a bit. We rode about ten minutes inside, then another few minutes outside on a slope. Fessor wasn't too sure about riding out in the paddock, but let me take him out there. We had a very small trot, but better that than getting on a big long step downhill or canter uphill.

I think my plans for the summer changed this afternoon. I just received a letter saying that I'm not taking enough credits this summer for the stafford loan, and the private loan company requires a cosigner since I didn't work during the school year. Summer classes start Monday. I'm not sure how I am supposed to get a cosigner, get all the paperwork in, and get the loan processed in five days. So I've picked up a few job applications and will try to work this summer and nix the class. Hopefully I can get something at the grocery store or drug store nearby so that I'm not paying a fortune in gas. I figure that retail outlets open into the evening are my best bets for flexible hours. I don't have any pride right now, I just need something to help pay the bills.

Have a good week, all!

Tracy

Hi all! Thought I would catch up on the laptop while we catch up on the Deadliest Catch. It is almost 10pm and we just had dinner. Oops, late summer nights at the barn!

Okay, I have been taking notes:-)

Vegas-I am glad you are feeling better...not cool being sick on your birthday!!!

Tracy-Glad Fessor is back to getting prepped for the show! I bet he had a bruise. Beckham had a bad one last summer that took forever to heal; we eventually put pads on him until it fully heeled. Pick whatever training level test you want...I pick and choose my favorite tests a lot!

Spots-Great job at the show!!! I liked the photos. Are you going to buy any?

Lightening- Poet has had his hocks done a few times and it helped him...he is just a bit old:-) Winston now feels like he did years ago! I don't know how long they will last...don't plan on showing him tons. He gets monthly Legend injections too. Do you send him to your vet to get done?

Shelly-Hehehehehe! Sorry, I had to chuckle at your hard lesson since I spent 3 weeks having my but kicked and got to take a week off:-) We are back to lessons this Friday...and it looks like both Winston and Beckham are on the hook. Tell Jack I will help him plant!!! I am addicted and keep planting more and more...we are almost out of room at the condo. I even planted a little tree in our little back yard; which we probably aren't allowed to do. I get attacked by the "condo nazis" anyway. Post pics of all of your flowers:-) Are you excited for this weekend?

The test results came back on Ozzy and revealed nothing...BUT, he has been tons better the last 3 days. The farrier came after work and Beckham got his dreaded size 3 monster shoes back on for the summer. He is still a bit unbalanced and it was trying to keep his shoes on. There are still some lost in the field:-)

I got my ride times for the 9th and 10th and I am going to be there ALL DAY on the 10th as my brother graduates from college that day and my dad has to drop Beckham and I off at 9 and I don't show until 2:30. Then we have to wait for him to come get us. (Yes, I am still a daddy's girl and he won't let me drive his truck and trailer!:-) My hubby is going to have to groom...yikes!

Well, off to bed and finish watching Ace of Cakes...yes, I watch a lot of weird stuff off of the TIVO:-) I have to close tomorrow...I am actually looking forward to jury duty for some time off!!!