Sign in to follow this  
shiloh04

showing in-hand or WB inspections?

has anyone shown in-hand or been to a WB inspection?

i am planning to have my mare inspected in about a month and am starting to do more in-hand work with her. shes physically fit and is moving out nicely and respects my cues (for the most part, sometimes she decides she wants to canter instead of trot, but we are getting that in control).

i had my dad video us today, and my main issue is that she doesnt want to stay NEXT to me when we trot. she wants to follow and stick her head straight out. shes still moving nicely, and shes not pulling on the reins, but she looks like i am dragging her!

the mare is terrified of whips, so we will be working on that daily (ive desensitized her before, but shes been abused so a bit without being around a whip and all her bad memories come back). but how do i get her to trot BESIDE me instead of following me?

I would say practice lots and lots of changes of gait and make a conscious effort to stay by her shoulder. Maybe start jogging and if you can get the first few strides with her staying next to you, then come down to walk or halt before she gets a chance to get behind you. Then build on your progress as you go and add strides.

What registry is inspecting her?

I've been to several AWR inspections, but they're pretty laid back, and I mostly worked with the babies. You need to make sure your mare will move off in a straight line beside you in whatever gait you're showing her. I like to start in-hand work in a halter because then you can practice it when you're leading in from the field. With mine, I push my hands forward and cluck so they know I want them to move, but don't start moving until the horse does, that way they don't get the chance to get behind me. It's nice to be able to carry a whip, but the end of a lead rope works if you need to encourage them forward.

Straightness is important during inspection as well as energy, so make sure you can run fast enough to keep up with your horse's stride.

If you're really worried about her score, I'd suggest finding someone with experience in-hand to handle her for inspection, because they'll usually be able to show her off better. But it's good to work with her yourself and see how you feel once you get there, because you'll most likely be able to find someone there who can handle her, if you feel you want to.

thanks for the help!

i am taking her to an AWS inspection. ive been working on getting her to move off with me, but after a couple strides she falls into her old behavior of following.

ive not been too worried about finding a handler for the same reason; im sure if i need to, i can find someone at the inspection.

What inspection are you going to. If you find out any really good information let me know as I am taking my new guy to an inspection next month and need some info also, I am going to do a little research, I'll let you know if I find anything.

im going to the one in Louisville, KY. ive been told they are really laid-back, and the inspectors are very helpful if you tell them this is your first time presenting a horse.

My trainer is great at the inspections.....see took a clinic under some known inspection guy. Our mare Nadiaa was used in demo for a clinic after my trainer applied what she learned. I can't tell you how to teach it, but I can give you a hint about the triangle (RSPI makes you did not sure about others).

Don't make the corner while trot. Stop and reposition your horse then do the next side. Also if you have a bad side keep on trot and redo the side. You are allowed to, but most don't. They just go with what they get.

Could you explain a little more about the triangle? I appreciate the idea about stop and repositioning the horse before trotting off again but any more advice on it? I haven't been able to find much info about the actual inspection online. Know anywhere I can look?

by BO, who shows in-hand, gave me the same advice about NOT trying to trot all the way around the triangle [big Grin]

as for an explaination on the triangle... you enter the ring and stand with your horse in front of the inspector at one corner of the triangle. you want the horse set up well for a conformational analysis. then you walk around the "small" triangle (away from the inspector, across the arena, and back toward the inspector. you then trot a larger triangle in the same manner.

you go clockwise around the triangle and lead with the reins/lead in your right hand. you can carry a whip in your left. you may have a helper who can also have a whip to follow the horse. since your boy is 2, i think you must show in a snaffle bridle (dressage-legal bit). you can either use the reins or attach a lead line. you may also have to turn the horse loose to be shown at liberty, but im not sure about that. my mare is 14, so that doesnt apply to us.

you basically need to be able to run your butt off to show your horse to his best advantage, which is tough in a sand arena. if you cant do the running, you may want to hire someone to present your horse for you. i doubt i will do this with my girl, as shes terrified of whips, and since she trusts me with one i woudl rather just do it myself.

you also want either a dressage whip or an in-hand whip. you cant use a plastic bag or anything like a lot of the halter people do.

Thank you so much, that's what I had read but it just didn't click for me. I'm not worried about the running, I think this is going to be a blast. I didn't know if the question was meant for me but my inspection is August 25th, my BIRTHDAY!