Sign in to follow this  
dressagewannabe

I bought a Horse!!! PICTURES WORK!

HAHAHA!!! I am so excited. I want to thank everyone on here who encouraged me to continue looking for something special and not just caving in and buying something cheap.

Not many of you know me but I have had a hard time getting into dressage because of lack of money, and resources. Fortunately I came across my trainer who has not only worked wonders with my riding, but with my entire life.

After the mare I was riding lost her baby, I decided to continue working for my trainer and putting the money towards board of the horse that I would have one day. Well Wednesday when I was out at the barn cleaning, there was an envelope with my name on it.

I opened the envelope and my trainer began to tell me about how sorry she was that Alleluja lost her baby and how she was discussing it with her family and they want to help me. They offered me on of their young horses for sale, a horse which she was going to break and market in the spring.

He is a 2 year old. He stands at 16.2 ( I know this sounds ridiculous) he is out of a percheron mare, his sire is a thoroughbred. My trainer bought him when he was six months old because she liked him so much but she thinks that his height, along with his outstanding personality would fit me.

He is black, with four white stockings and a patch of white down each shoulder that looks like a lightening bolt. His name is Pirate. lol. Next month I am taking him to the AWS inspections in Streetsboro, Ohio to hopefully have him certified as an American Warmblood. *Wish us luck*. We are also going to try to register him as a paint so that when we begin showing he will be eligible for breed awards.

We won't start breaking him until next spring, and all of it will be under the guidance of my trainer. Hopefully by spring of 2009 we will be starting in the dressage arena.

I am going to go take pictures of him on Monday and will get them up ASAP.

Thanks everyone for continuing to support me when I was so down. Good things do come to those who wait. [big Grin]

[ 08-07-2007, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: dressagewannabe ]

congrats on your new horsie!

i dont think you can register him APHA (they follow bloodlines, and her perch/TB), but AWS has an awards program that is supposed to be pretty good. i am taking my mare to an inspection in about a month, so have been working on some in-hand stuff. if you plan to present him yourself, i hope you can RUN!

That super! If you are looking at USDF Breed awards, I believe that the AWS does sponsor All Breeds, so you may want to go to their website and check. Also, for the USDF you can only choose one breed registry even if your horse is registered in one than one--my guys are dual registered (RPSI and PHR but we do the PHR awards because they are less expensive for dues).

quote:

Originally posted by dressagewannabe:

We are also going to try to register him as a paint so that when we begin showing he will be eligible for breed awards.

Congratulations on your new horse. He sounds beautiful. I can't wait to see the pictures. As for registering him as a Paint, sorry, but he is not eligible. To register him as a Paint, he has to be of Paint or QH descent. You could register him as a Pinto. That is a color breed that accepts horses of any breed into its registry. Paint does not though so you will not be able to register him as a Paint and compete in the Paint breed awards.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by smithereens_86:

To register him as a Paint, he has to be of Paint or QH descent.

Not true, they also take Thoroughbreds. His dad is a registered thoroughbred, and a paint, therefore he can be registered.

From the APHA website: "To be eligible for registry, a Paint's sire and dam must be registered with the American Paint Horse Association, the American Quarter Horse Association, or the Jockey Club (Thoroughbreds)."

But thanks for giving me the heads up, I second guessed myself and had to go back and look it up.

I went out to the barn today and got a few pics, so I will try to have them up by tomorrow. [Yay]

quote:

Originally posted by Cantering Cait:

Congradulations Liv!

He sounds like a big beast. haha.

Im lookin for a new horse to. Rem's getting old and he cant go novice
[Frown]

Once again. Congrads. Cant wait for pics.

Sorry to hear that about Rem Caity. Let me know if you need any help looking, I know a lot of good people with good horses that are for sale right now.

quote:

quote:

To register him as a Paint, he has to be of Paint or QH descent.

Not true, they also take Thoroughbreds. His dad is a registered thoroughbred, and a paint, therefore he can be registered.

From the APHA website: "To be eligible for registry, a Paint's sire and dam must be registered with the American Paint Horse Association, the American Quarter Horse Association, or the Jockey Club (Thoroughbreds)."

But thanks for giving me the heads up, I second guessed myself and had to go back and look it up.

I went out to the barn today and got a few pics, so I will try to have them up by tomorrow.
[Yay] still not quite right. they take crosses on TB's because paints are now being used for racing. but BOTH parents have to be registered TB, QH, or paint, and one MUST be registered APHA for the horse to be eligible, from everything i know. i am pretty sure they no longer take "hardship registration" for horses with paint markings but who dont have one parent registered APHA.

you may want to email them and check.

quote:

I wasn't aware they accepted TB ancestry, but your colt still wouldn't qualify because the dam is Perch. ??? Both parents must be of one of those three registries. APHA is fairly strict about what they will register. I know they do NOT accept AWS even if they are colored.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by shiloh04:

i am pretty sure they no longer take "hardship registration" for horses with paint markings but who dont have one parent registered APHA.

Yes, Shiloh, that was what I thought - that APHA has "closed" its registry somewhat in that one parent MUST be registered APHA, and I thought the other had to be QH or APHA, but I guess it can be TB as well. At any rate, a horse with one parent a Perch definitely does not qualify even if it has color. I know that APHA does not accept AWS horses regardless of the amount of color they carry. The only color registry open to an AWS horse of color that I am aware of is the Pinto registry. Though there may be other color registries out there since so many new ones pop up all the time.

~Shelly~

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by shiloh04:

i am pretty sure they no longer take "hardship registration" for horses with paint markings but who dont have one parent registered APHA.

Yes, Shiloh, that was what I thought - that APHA has "closed" its registry somewhat in that one parent MUST be registered APHA, and I thought the other had to be QH or APHA, but I guess it can be TB as well. At any rate, a horse with one parent a Perch definitely does not qualify even if it has color. I know that APHA does not accept AWS horses regardless of the amount of color they carry. The only color registry open to an AWS horse of color that I am aware of is the Pinto registry. Though there may be other color registries out there since so many new ones pop up all the time.

~Shelly~

they only take TB blood because paints now race, so they opened their books to create a horse thats virtually all TB, but long ago had one paint parent. theyve been doing that since at least 2001 that i know of (knew someone who had one bred for racing).

there is an international sporthorse of color registry, though AWS should do you just fine. ive heard they have a wonderful awards program. or maybe look into PHR (performance horse registry). i *think* they register half-TB's, but not sure if they accept draft crosses.

Thanks all for the correction.. well there goes $35 down the drain.. I guess that I should have checked that out before I sent in my membership eh?

I'm going to look into the PHR and maybe the Pinto. Thanks all for your help.

here is the info on the PHR: http://www.phr.com/pageDisplay.php?pid=faq

they actually do not have any bloodline requirements anymore, and are strictly a registry to assign pedigree papers and for tracking purposes. they do have an awards program, and more info is available on the site.

as a side note, if you have already sent the form to AWS for your horse, and youve paid the fee to have him DNA typed (which you should have, as you dont have a breeding report on file with them, and likely the TB sire is AWS approved/nominated), then i would hold off on the PHR until your horse has a registry number with AWS. by doing that, you can put his AWS registration number on the PHR form, and they will use the DNA that you paid AWS to type. saves you probably $75 in fees.

i would think that AWR or PHR would be sufficient, but if you want to join both, nothign is stopping you.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Cantering Cait:

Congradulations Liv!

He sounds like a big beast. haha.

Im lookin for a new horse to. Rem's getting old and he cant go novice
[Frown]

Once again. Congrads. Cant wait for pics.

Sorry to hear that about Rem Caity. Let me know if you need any help looking, I know a lot of good people with good horses that are for sale right now.

Really?

That would be awesome! I found some really nice ones online, and im for sure trying out one of them. But I could use some help. haha.

Caity.. what kind of horse are you looking for? Give me lots of details, your price range, etc. If you want to do this through PM that's fine. Also do you have my phone number? I'll PM that to you also.

I've got a few pictures, they aren't very good, they are very blurry, but I thought I would share them anyhow.

The vet comes out tomorrow for the pre purchase exam, and I got the insurance papers today! [Yay][Yay]

Treats for the cutie pie

-

He knows where we keep the treats

-

Blurry but a little bit of free lunging

-

Beginning to work on lunging

-

Walking

-

[ 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: dressagewannabe ]

Beginning to trot

-

Lol I love this picture, silly playful boy

-

Blurry, but you can see the shear size of him

-

Last one

-

I love him so much. let me kow what you guys think of him. We decided that his registered name is going to be La Masseria's Black Pearl (aka Pirate)

Thanks!

[ 08-07-2007, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: dressagewannabe ]

quote:

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the pictures?

You know how you moved them and made a file for just his pics? Well when you move it it changes the link so you need to re post the new link. [big Grin]

Since you can only declare one breed registry with the USDF now, why in the world would you want to spend the money to register the horse with more than one registry for year end awards? I was under the impression that money was an issue here. Not trying to be snarky at all, but what you have is a registry that with the AWS that offers really nice awards from what I understand. One of the riders who rides with our group has an AWS registered mare and the organization actually gives awards as some of the Recognized shows, USDF Year End, so I don't know what more you could ask. The PHR is 125 for Silver Stirrup Awards and about the same for initial registry as well. You are spending the money to get the horse inspected so why not just go with the AWS for your Breed Registry with USDF? From what I understand from my friend, they do lots of things for their members.

I agree and I ended up deciding to simply register him AWS. It ended up not just being about the year end awards though, we thought that if I registered him with more than one registry he would be worth more if I ever decided to sell him. It doesn't matter though. From how we are together now he is with me for life. Your friend is right though, AWS does have the better awards.

quote:

Originally posted by WILD'N'OUT:

quote:

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the pictures?

You know how you moved them and made a file for just his pics? Well when you move it it changes the link so you need to re post the new link.
[big Grin]
Gotcha! Thanks I'll fix them.