Sign in to follow this  
Sjw88

what kind of bit do you use?

I was wondering what kind of bit everyone uses?

& do you have one or 2 sets of reins? Just wondering thanks guys. Could you possibly post pics of your bits? I'm trying to learn more about dressage bits.

Started my young horse in an 18mm KK Ultra single jointed German Silver bit until he got more comfortable and stable into my hand. When he first was started under saddle, he liked to get a bit low and was a tad unsteady, as any young horse might. Early this season, probably April, we switched over to the 16mm KK Ultra that is double jointed to help him lighten up. He's very happy in this bit, so the other did it's job quite well. I don't anticipate having to change this one.

Riley gets a knockoff-KK loose ring french link.

Amore gets a single joint eggbutt.

I ride my horse in a Korsteel 21mm double jointed snaffle.

I tried him in the same bit in a KK with Aurigan metal, but he did not like it all. I think it is because the Aurigan is heavier than the stainless steel. He is very light mouthed and sensitive and does not work at all in a single joint mouth piece.

Myself, i use just an eggbutt snaffle (with the happy mouth) on my thoroughbred. To me with all of my horses it is VERY important not to use a harsh bit. Generally no good comes from it. Before I ever take one of my horses to a show, I make sure that if they are young I can ride them without a bit of any kind. When you ride them bitless, I have found, they respect the slightest bit of movement from the rein, in their mouth as soon as they have a bit. Therefore making a happier horse and human.

I use a simple Loose Ring happy mouth snaffle, single jointed. Very simple and very mild, one set of reins. Correct me if I am wrong, but in dressage competition, the use of a pelham or double bridle in which 2 reins must be used is prohibited until you get to a certain level.

I am very much against bits that force a horse into an artificial frame by poll pressure, such as bouchers or elevators, or strong bits that force the horse to simply "back off" and get behind the bit.

Just putting that out there.

^ yup, and all horses showing under 3rd must be shown in snaffles.

One of my horses takes a thick, hollow loose ring. The other two take a standard thickness sweet iron loose ring.

scout rides in a loose ring snaffle with copper stripes in the mouth , I tried him on a happy moth and he literally threw the bit down the barn aisle.

Switched bits and have never had that issue again he comes onto the bit great and never gets fussy mouth, bits are as individual as the horse.

I rode on horse who HATED the loose ring snaffle but went like a dream in a copper mouthed tom thumb

I rode in at 14 mm french link for a while and now I'm riding in a french link boucher, he needed a little more break at the poll, works great on a horse that pulls. I am going to try a mullen mouth curb with a french link bradoon after the last show.