Sign in to follow this  
Vegas Sky

Take a moment to realize how lucky you are...

To be able to still hold your horse and hug them and love them.

Not fifteen minutes ago, I watched a horse die. He belonged to one of the students here at school. He was young and in good health. When he was turned out this morning he seemed a little lethargic but nothing to be alarmed about. But when he came in this morning he was shaking and displaying some signs of colic. The owner came down and we tried to help him, but within 45 minutes he was down. I was in the feed room when he went down (apparently he more of fell down) and I came running when they called me but he was shaking on the ground and calling and we tried so hard to get him up but we couldn't and he stopped breathing within just a couple minutes.

It's all just so surreal! I went down to the barn to feed Vegas and Ricky dies - WHAT?!?! I've never watched a horse die before, it was so strange, and its all just so tragic. Please pray for Ricky and his mommy.

Unfortunately I have seen about 6 horses die of colic. None mine, but at a barn where i used to ride. I had one have an anuerism under me and fall with me on. It is really hard.

Im sorry about what happened. Prayer to his owner. [Angel]

[Angel]

You are exactly right on why you should always hug your horse and be thankful that he is healthy and happy

Your're right Vegas. Be thankful for every day you have with your horse. Unfortunately unless one keep tortoises or parrots, chances are we will unlive our pets. It's never easy even when one thinks they are prepared. My prayers for your friend's broken heart. Hopefully she will keep riding and heal.

That is just awful [Frown] . I know how it feels, when I was almost 13, I got my first horse. I had her for six weeks before she coliced and had to be put down. It was one of the longest, saddest and hardest days of my life. Time helps. Sending prayeres for everyone [Angel]

I know how that feels. My very first horse died at the ripe old age of 30, he was in good health. Actually excellent health, definatly did not look his age, when he succame to colic. He died in my arms. Its very heart wrenching..

-

-

-

We keep them forever in our hearts.

~stars

Thanks guys for the thoughts and prayers.

The whole thing was just terribly tragic...we're thinking now that it may have been more of a neurological/seizure thing or an aneurysm rather than colic, because he really did not have the signs of colic other than lethargy, which can be cause by anything. I guess we won't really know unless they do a necropsy.

Thanks again guys. The owner is doing well but there is obviously still some grieving that she has to do.

My first college had a thing like that the year before I went. They were in a lesson and one of the horse started shaking then clapsed. Within 10 minutes from the shaking to him going down the horse died. Brain seizure if I remember right. [Huggy]

*deep breath* Wow. I really have been taking advantage of the fact that I have the best partner on Earth lately...

I want to run out right now and hug every horse I know in the world. Thoughts for the owner. What a terrible experience.

Yah i just recently almost lost a horse...it had me up all night and i wound up crying myself to sleep.I just thank the powers that be that we were at a show and not at home so we could get her to the large animal hospital much faster and she didnt go down in the trailer <severe colic>

i think for the next show we enter...like next year i am going to show name her either Saving Angel or Guardian Angel or something to that effect because she almost died and that was scary.

so yah i had that revalation too...love every horse and just spend time hugging them and letting them know you care.

I think our bond has grown seriouly since then i barely need a leadrope anymore (but of course have one or have the gates closed) [Me Cry][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel]

quote:

Originally posted by O- -O Lightning Strikes Twice O- -O:

quote:

Originally posted by SpotsAtX:

I got really nervous at first, thinking something had happened to Vegas!
[Frown]

Me too. That is so sad
[Frown][Huggy][Angel]

It can happen so quickly...

No, my baby is fine, thank the Heavens...it was a hard thing to see but it pulled all the barn girls together and helped me realize again how much I love my horse and how lucky I am to have her still , especially after the accident.