Sign in to follow this  
KrazyTBMare

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 19!!

Heres the last page of posts...

Vegas Sky

Member # 26507

posted 01-03-2008 01:49 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everybody, how's it goin'?

So major internal meltdown over...I'm taking Holly's advice - I'm going to spend this term seriously deciding, but my plan is to change my major from pre-vet to Animal Sciences Equine Conc., and finish my degree. During the summers I'll look for working student positions to get the exposure I want in the training industry. After I finish school I'll look for some more work, make a serious decision about my future...if I want to train I'll go down that road, and if I want to go back to school after a few years I can do that to, but at least I'll have my BS.

Otherwise, things are going really well - Vegas is doing SOO good! We are really going to kick butt this summer, and I think we'll be ready for first level. Ooohh, and I have my first Pony Club meeting tonight, I'm super excited!...not much else is going on around here, my brother and his family went back to Wisconsin (halelujah!) and my life is returning to some resemblance of normalcy...

Okay, but now I have to go do some galloping sets between rain showers (ah, winter in Oregon) and go down to school to get my books and ID and Parking Permit, then go to the meeting so I gotta run, ttyl!

--------------------

~~Megan~~

CK Vegas Blue Star 1996 Paint/TB (we think...) mare.

The College Horse:

http://members.horsecity.com/collegehorse

"If I had the ability to fortell the future, perhaps I would have bet on a painted horse"

Press 1 for English

Press 2 for Deportation

-Coutesy of Paws

"What the horse has to do under compulsion, he does not understand. Such actions are not beautiful, anymore than if one were to teach a dancer by whipping and spurring. For there is apt to be far more ugliness than grace about the actions of either a horse or a man who is subjected to such treatment. But he must follow the indication of the aids to display of his own free will all the most beautiful and brilliant qualities."

~Xenophon, 400 B.C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 765 | From: Salem, OR | Registered: Mar 2005 | IP: Logged |

FleckenAwesome

Member # 33787

posted 01-03-2008 08:22 PM

HAPPY 2008!!!!

i managed to make it stupid work was totally kicking my butt. Between the two places..but i'm done with place number one... and on to place number two. i really really like it. it's a bit hectic at times cause we have less staff and it can get busy, but for the most part we're adequately staffed. and it's awesome cause i totally get what i want if i want naloxone i get it whooo hooo. so yeah.. and i already have a superstar there! my cute little parvo pup managed to pull through and is doing great now. We almost lost her but she's a fighter. She's so cute. i didn't get a pic but i should have. They said they'd bring her by for me to visit when she's feeling 100%. so that was a great start!

anyways... i'm excited about getting back to riding. now that the holidays are over and work is squared away.. i'm starting my off week today and i've already got a lesson, a XC schooling and some trail rides planned. whoo hoo. now if it would just warm up. the last two days have been in the teens with the windchills in the single digits. which is WAY WAY WAY colder than it normally is here in sunny GA. the ground was frozen... i was toting water out. so yeah.. it's warming up today and will be nicer for a bit. still cold, but not frigid.

tonight the horses were silly. Even miss roany who will be 25 next month! let out two GIANT bucks today. silly girl. and fleck did too and managed to land on a brick, but he seems fine now. was sore for a few minutes, but okay now.

anyways... hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday.

megan... you have plenty of time and you can change your mind back and forth for a bit too it's not set in stone. But i understand wanting to decide and feeling rushed. Just get some experience with a horse vet - focus on one that does repro. and even if you decide it's not for you, atleast you'll have that valuable experience! and then you might decide you love it. and the working student position sounds like a great idea too.

lightning: sorry... don't remember everything specific but.. hope all is well. Did you say you were on a different year than us? am i stupid??? how so? or for just like 24 hours or something?

anyways... my brain is a little fried. i only slept 5 hours in between my shifts the other night and then only slept about a total of 5 today because the farrier came. so...i'm trying to get some stuff done so i can go to bed early and get up early and go ride XC!!!

later!

holly

--------------------

Holly Breaux, DVM

All my money spent on...

Roany - 24 year old appy/arabish mare. Just retired after trying to event with her - she prefers jumpers. And she was gooooood at it. Speedy mare.

Fleck - 9 year old Appy/TB gelding. Doing eventing with him - he's super fun! And such a goofball! Has been called "a golden retriever in horses' clothing" [smile]

www.sweetspotfarm.com

O- -O Lightning Strikes Twice O- -O

Member # 31369

posted 01-03-2008 11:38 PM

DQ - Hope you survive the storms!

Lauren - YAY you passed stats! Good for you!

Holly - Haha, I'm glad your new jobs seems great so far! Haha can't remember anything specific because there's nothing specific lol. Oh and when I posted that we were in different years. because we're ahead in time an all.

The new horse arrived, he's practically grey/white, with little black spots and 4 medium sized brown spots on his flank. He's a sweet guy, and pretty cute. I just don't think I'd ever choose to have a grey horse, too much problem with cancer/tumours and they just never look clean when they're out 24/7 and like to roll . At least when they're brown they can look relatively clean without being spotless, hehe. He does have black eyeliner so that's a plus in the sun cancer department. Anyway he's pretty cute.

Err. I think that's all. Lightning is spiffy. Possum has FLEAS.. uh oh. This rabbit I tell ya. and the vet has had rabbits of his breed can die from the "rabbit-safe" cat flea treatment, so we can't do that simple, easy solution. Instead we have to do it the old fashioned way, combined with a small amount of diluted stuff that is supposed to be safe for birds. Nothing is easy with this rabbit, nothing at all. They said everything has been getting fleas this season, and he goes and plays in the garden and probably picks them up from the wildlife that comes in and out.

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

Edited because I realised I can't spell.

[ 01-04-2008, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: KrazyTBMare ]

I figured the last one was already to page 16 and everyone was busy with the new year, so why not start a new chit chat to go with 2008!

So Happy New Year everyone!

Whew. So the holidays were crazy busy for us. I had from the 21-1st off (yay) but was still busy.

In a nut shell, my brother came down the Friday after Xmas with his wife and 18mo old son. We did Xmas again and my bro got a PS3 so we went and got Rock Band to play.. OMG. Totally awesome. I love playing the drums! Anyways they left New Years day. It was nice having them here.

BUT. Xmas eve Randy and I went to see his mom in a tiny little bodunk town like 45 mins from us. Due to his work schedule, we havent seen her in like 3 weeks.

The story with Randys mother is a long one.. and I dont even understand most of it myself. But basically she was now living with this guy who works the opposite shift as Randys dad at a steel plant. A friend of a friend of a friend. So anyways, Randys mom had him when she was like 23. Shes never worked as she took care of him, and never drove a car (remember she lived in a not even one street light town... VERY back woods and back then did drugs like pills and pot.. so yeh). So shes basically relyed on other people for everything.

So anyways, shes always been sick but never has been able to get social security or disability. So that means shes never been able to get her meds or have proper medical attention unless Randy took her and paid for everything out of pocket, which hes been doing, but some of the meds are over $100 just for one month. Needless to say, it was very straining for us as well.

So back to the story. We went to see her at this guys house (who by the way has had 2 previously wives and they both have died under the age of 50.. he also has cirosis of the liver and STILL drinks heavily!).. well we get there and its like 8pm. We go inside to give her her presents and Im not exaggerating.. she was the color of a yellow highligher. The whites of her eyes GLOWED bright yellow. She was jondis (sp). All of her arms and legs were swollen to the point that you couldnt even see her wrists or ankles.. it was horrible! So the guy was like "Ive been trying to get her to go to the Dr but shes stubborn I couldnt make her" blah blah blah.. you could see he was drunk as a skunk. So we called 911 for an ambulance to come.

Ambulance gets there, her BP was 180/100. They start her on an IV and take her to the local hospital (which I dont care for as they are under staffed and uner funded and dont do anything but stablize people).

So after blood work, they say her liver enzymes are elevated (duh) and did an ultrasound and said she has a fatty liver. This is the first time that I found out that she was told she had Hep C a few years ago but b/c she couldnt afford the antibiotics she never got rid of it. So the jondis and fatty liver are b/c of the Hep C.

We didnt leave the hospital until around 2am Xmas Eve. She had to stay until that Saturday. They finally discharged her b/c she doesnt have insurance. They prescribed her 5 meds for her liver, but when she told them she doesnt have any money or even a way to get to the pharmacy, they just told her that they dont deal with issues like that.

So then she tells Randy that she needs a liver transplant or shes going to die. So Randy is FREAKING out. Obviously. Not only is he worried about her dying but hes also worried about how to pay for it or anything else or where shes going to live.

Well Randys 2nd cousin offered to let his mom stay there until the 7th when he goes in for surgery. After that, we dont know whats going to happen. Randys dad was nice enough to go to Walmart and pay for her meds. 3 of them they got for $5 the other 2 were over $90 each.. so $225 for meds a MONTH.

Well a few days ago she swelled back up to the point that she couldnt walk. So she was taken to another hospital (another city over) that is much better. So basically they got her on IVs and what not.

So 2 days ago, Randy talks to her. She said that the Dr said that the liver will heal itself if she stays on the meds and doesnt drink. Then she started crying. Randy asks whats wrong. And she said "You dont have to tell the Dr to lie to me. I know Im going to die." And of course Randys like WHAT? She thought that Randy had asked the Drs to tell her that so she wouldnt worry. But he didnt. So apparently shes going to be ok. Theres also a woman at that hopsital whos helping her fill out her paperwork for social security again and got permission for Randy to be her contact person so he can use his cell phone for her home phone and he can make her appts so he can take her when hes off.

So Im hoping that everything is going to work out. Randy has been a basket case ever since Xmas Eve. His mom is only 49!

On the horsey front, Laylas been on the Adaquan for 2.5 wks. Its been INSANELY cold here (2 nights ago it was 16 and last night it was 25!) and shes been feeling quite full of herself. I had enough of her jumping around and being silly so I took her out on the lunge and made her move. She went buck-hop-buck-hop-buck-hop all around the circle while squeeling. It was so funny. Shes obviously feeling better.

I rode her for the first time in 4 weeks on New Years Day. She felt great. I kept it easy.. 10 mins of walking, 10 mins easy trot, 5 mins of slightly more of a working trot. She is really starting to feel like her old self.

Then since Sarah had breast augmentation on the 20th, she cant ride for 6 wks, so I rode Ben for her on New Years too. He did awesome. I rode him again last night when she came out (and it was COLD... 35 at 630pm!) and he was SO perfect.

I had to come back to work on Wednesday.. and am at work right now.. we had to work today (Fri) to make up for Monday and Tuesday. Blah.

In case I didnt post about it... about a week before Xmas, Randy bought a 4 wheeler. Its a 500cc 4x4 Honda. Its bad *** . I must say. LOL Its camo colored. Ill get pics of it. We went out to his dads after a good rain and went muddin with it. Quite fun!!

For Xmas I also got like one of the best gifts ever. My mom got me Trainer for the Day at Discovery Cove. Its a back stage thing where I get to swim with dolphins and sting rays and fish and what not. VERY COOL. Randy got the Richard Petty Driving Experience and he can drive 8 laps in a real NASCAR up to 180mph!

Anyways that was long. Im sorry. Things are starting to calm down so one new years resolution is to be more active on the chit chat thread!

How was everyones holiday season and new year???

It sounds like you had a rather stressful holiday. The news about Randy's mother is scary!

I'm enjoying relaxing during the time between semesters. This afternoon I did a wither tracing of Fessor and took pics of him with and without the saddle. I will fax the tracing and email the photos to Anne at Equestrian Imports for consultation. I also got a referral for a person who reflocks saddles within the state. She even does *english* saddles. In Iowa, that is quite a find. [smile] I noticed a list for a chiropractor who is coming out to the barn NEXT weekend (a week from Sunday) so I put Fessor on that list. I really want to nail down why our canter has deteriorated. Part of it is saddle fit. But I am also having a second farrier give me an opinion on Fessor's hooves and the chiro can do saddle fit and gait analysis.

When Fess was sore after a slip in the pasture, we went up to Iowa State University for a lameness exam. They checked most of his joints in both hinds, and the only issue was a soft tissue "upper hind limb lameness". He flexed sound on both hocks and the block on the sore side ruled out a hock issue at that time. Having said that, I'm wondering if I should have his hocks and stifles x-rayed. It depends on what I find out from saddle fit, chiro, and farrier. If a new saddle takes care of it, then I'll let things be. I can't help but wonder if I should take Fess off the Corta Flx and put him on Adequan. I can do IM injections myself, so would just need the prescriptions. Just as a note, Fessor turns ten sometime this spring.

There's not too much to report from here. My BIG Christmas gift will be a dressage that fits us better. The parents have already agreed, though the budget is NOT unlimited.

We have a horse coming back to the barn that has been eventing since last spring. I have already spoken with the soon to be owner (pending x-rays tomorrow) and the trainer about taking some jumping lessons on him. So hopefully I can do a small hunter show or two, or a schooling three phase this year. If this works out, I'll be able to do the one thing I miss since Fess went blind. And I can still keep up my dressage with my boy. It's the best of both worlds. [big Grin]

edited to add a couple pics from today...

-

-

Tracy

[ 01-04-2008, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: TracyA ]

Oh good lord! How did I not notice that I had Fess set up with his front legs trailing backwards? He CAN stand with his legs underneath his body. Really!

I guess I need to take some different pictures tomorrow. And maybe pay attention to his whole leg and not just trying to keep his hooves in line with each other. ***sighs***

Tracy

Wow Tracy! A new saddle for Christmas! Thats awesome. I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE Ann @ EQ Imports. Shes the one who helped me with my saddle problems. I probably had her send me like 6 saddles and we talked for about 2 months before I bit the bullet and went with the Amerigo. I had the saddles the next day after she shipped them since we are both in Florida. She is just wonderful. Im sure you will have no problems finding a perfect saddle for you both. Fess looks great.

Not sure if you checked out my post about my trip to the lameness vet or not. If he flexed sound, I would maybe skip xrays for now. Layla flexed an obvious 1-2 and was visibly "lame" esp on the LH but the RH only showed up while lungeing.

My lameness vet told me about oral joint supplements "I dont care if it hits the bucket or the ground." I had Layla on Corta Flx liquid for like 8 months. I went on the 21 and had xrays and ultrasounds done b/c her NQR every so often became lame constantly. Anyways, thats WITH her on Corta Flx. It did nothing for her. So now we are on once a week Adaquan for 8 wks, then once every 2 weeks for 2 months, then once a month. We are also injecting her lower hocks due to some changes she has there (but that will not cause lameness).

But if the saddle isnt fitting him (not sure if thats the main reason you want a new saddle) that could be why the canter isnt going so well. Good luck and keep us updated!

As for me, I just got in from the barn. Rode Layla tonight. She was SO good. No tripping. When I rode on Tuesday we had a tiny trip going right at the trot and a big whoops there went my fanny going to the right at the walk, both occured when she was tired. But tonight, nope nothing, and I had a good working trot going for about 15-20 mins. Still laying off the cantering until the end of Jan.

Im still trying to get this title to the trailer thing figured out. We finished up early before lunch today so I ran to the Clerk of the Courts (side office not the main one) for someone to clarify the Court Awarded Title process to me. No one there had even heard of it! So then Im given the # to the main courthouse. I call it, get transfered 6 times, then the ladys like "Well do you have the court order?" DUH! NO! Thats why Im calling! Then she gets my # and says "Ill call you right back." Yeh that was at 1250pm. Its now 722pm. So much for that. I seem to know more about the laws for Florida than most of the people who are employeed there. Geez.

Tomorrow we are tackling the Christmas decorations. [Frown] Im going to miss all my snowmen!

Going to try to find some dindin.

Hi everyone! [big Grin] It's nice to be back.

For those who don't know, Spec and I have had two official dressage lessons so far. Very exciting! [big Grin] I think we surprised my trainer in the first one. The second one was more challenging since we've proven our potential, but I'm very excited. We were supposed to have one tomorrow, Saturday the 5th, but I've been sick and away for Christmas/holidays/skiing/family so I haven't been to the barn to ride since the last lesson. I'm going out tomorrow to ride anyways. I'm hoping to do a trail ride or to do a dressage ride, just walk/trot of course. My energy is sapped from a terrible week combined with a terrible cold.

You guys would be so proud of the pony though, really, there is this whole dressage/eventing pony that has never been tapped into before. Crazy, to have this happen to him at 16 years of age! We are closer than ever. I love him dearly and we had a rough patch this fall but in the end, despite logic, all I want is this muddy, grouchy pony. Weird, eh?

I really made out this holiday season! [big Grin] It was crazy. It included some horsey stuff too. My mom is a real doll--she left a bag of individually wrappy peppermints. The tag said "To Spectrum, From Santa". It was way too cute. He gets to have his first tomorrow!

Shantel-- [Huggy] Now THAT is a tough holiday. Thank goodness Randy and you are such a sensible, strong couple. What an emotional rollercoaster!

TracyA--The eventing horse news is exciting! I'll cross my fingers for you. On the other hand, saddle shopping, or so I hear, can be a pain. It is nice, however, to know that you have parental backing, both supportive and financial, on that one!

P.S.--Shantel, I heard Florida is CRAZY cold for Florida. Can anyone say Global Climate Change?

Shantel- I'm soo sorry to hear about what a rought Christmas you and your family had. I bet Randy is going bonkers. Poor guy. Keeping you and your hubby in thoughts. Sounds like you guys got some good toys under the tree though!! Have you ever played the Wii??? That's super that Layla is doing well!

Megan- No need to panic yet cupcake. Heck I'm a should be senior and I have NO idea what I want to do. I changed majors, transferred schools, took a few semesters off and now somehow ended up in Business?? I did a WS position for a year...and it will put things into perspective for you. Not saying that you can't go that route or do the training...but once you see what really goes down with money, life, situations with crazy people...you'll think twice about the future. I say do the WS thing...I did have a blast and was able to learn A TON! I actually would like to do another WS position after I graduate.

That's super that Vegas is going so well! I too am sure you'll do great this summer!

Holly- ok must ask how do you like your new bridle?? How'd the XC schooling go? Was Fleck sore afterwards? Sounds like work was nutso...

Get some Sleep lady!!

Lightning- Thanks [smile] It was the only class I was worried about. Good grief I'm so glad its over...until...Calculus. UGH. I've put it off for about a 1 and 1/2 now. lol. sounds like the new pony is a cutie. How's Lightning doing? awh fleas! man that's gotta be a pain to deflea them. yikes! good luck

TracyA- that's aweesome you are getting a new saddle!! Woohoo!! I have Scotch on Adequan...and on Corta-Flx. Though I'll end up switching to Cosequin in the future. Great that you'll be able to take some jumping lessons! Hope that you can get things figured out w/ Fessor.

McKenzie- well hello stranger! Keeping my fingers crossed that they can find out what's wrong w/ Teddy. Where is he lameness coming from? Front hind? I'm curious to know what has been going on...as I'm starting to become well informed in the lameness area. Scotch still isn't sound. [Roll Eyes] Hope you had a great Christmas.

Not much to report on the homefront. Scotch's medium weight blankie came in the mail the other day. It's been cold here especially yesterday!! So Scotch has add today and yesterday off. I'll go and lunge/ride him tomorrow. Sunday he's coming off the bute and will see how he is.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Shantel, I remember you mentioning how happy you were with Anne at Eq. Imports. Since there isn't much out here, I figure I'll let her help me from long distance. There is ONE store in town that carries english tack, and their selection is quite limited. Not to mention, they aren't going to be able to help me with saddle fit issues. They are more of a "we can order that for you" type of place.

The plan for now is chiro help/evaluation, farrier check to make sure we don't have a trim issue, and a correctly fitting saddle. Hopefully that will do it. If not, I'll have the vet out for some ideas. But the loss of muscle along the topline suggests that saddle fit is the main culprit. We'll see what I find out over the next couple of weeks.

Tracy

thanks shantel!

lightning: awww, we need pics of the new guy. awww, good luck with possum. fleas are a pain.

shantel: wow... what a mess. i hope randy's mom does okay. that's scary! That's great that you guys are being so supportive but wow... what a mess. i'll keep you guys all in my prayers. glad layla and ben are doing well. wow!!! i want new boobies [smile] how fun! and WHAT a COOL gift! i've always wanted to swim with the dolphins. how totally totally cool. you have to give us the scoop!

tracy: awww, fess looks good. that's awesome about your saddle. hopefully that will solve the issue. and good luck with the other horse. hopefully he'll pass and you can get to jump again. NEATO!

dobby: yay!!! it's amazing what dressage will do for a horse! hee hee. he sounds just like roany.. my grouchy witchy mareness mare who runs mike over and bites him when he tries to blanket her. hee hee. that's awesome that he's kicking butt with it. do you have any pics or video!?! hope you feel better soon. it's amazing how much strength being sick sapps from yah. that's awesome that santa visited spec [smile]

mckenzie: glad that teddy is sound again. hopefully he'll still be sound undersaddle. how wierd though. but..atleast it happened BEFORE you bought him. though i hope it works out for you guys. you're such a great team. fingers crossed! maybe it was just a really SLOW abscess.

lauren: i do like my bridles. i actually got two! cause i'm spoiled! the vespucci is Wonderful. very soft and very pretty and does fit. it's very thin though and fleck has such a big head.. but he looks pimpin'. but it is more red than i had hoped. i really wanted that deep chocolate brown, so i'm hoping with some oil it'll darken. then i bought the pessoa figure 8 on 25% off sale at vto, and it fits well. it's oversized and raised and beautiful too. a little bit dry.. .needs lots of oil but it fits him great. it too though is a bit orangy brown for my liking. so i'm gonna have to darken it up. and it's also thin, but i like it. see below about schooling [Wink] it was fun! and hee hee. i just woke up from a two hour nap.. not the smartest idea at 8 pm, but... i was tired. awww man, scotch is STILL lame?? what a bummer. silly pony, i was hoping 2008 would be a sound year for him. still not sure what it is huh?! wild? oooh, fleck got a new medium weight blanket/sheet too. got it off tack of the day. yeah.. i'm spoiled and spent alot of money on the ponies recently but... oh well. it's xmas money.

anyways... so yeah... i took my poor pony to pine top to school XC today... after not riding him but like three times in a month or two. but he was awesome!!! and i don't think he'll have any issues tomorrow... me on the other hand... but yeah.. he broke a sweat but it was warm compared to what it has been. but wasn't breathing hard and was dragging me around. it was fun. it wasn't our best riding... and i certainly am a bit out of shape as far as my legs go... going to have to start trotting around jockey style.. supposedly that'll strengthen my leg. but he was such a good boy. he didn't freak when we broke apart from the group. and we did most of the training level fences on the first half of the course. i really wanted to do it all but he was so good and i was tired and sore so i didn't want to push it. but i conquered my nemesis's... the big giant trakenher...which almost took me out. and the drops and.. so yeah! it was good. i have video [Wink] but... it's nto the best. but yeah.. the trakenher was a bit scary so i tried to jump it a stride early one time and poor fleck jumped it with me up his neck and i popped WAY up in the air as he jumped me out of the tack, i landed on his back, probably atleast twice, lost my stirrups, and somehow must have landed on my breastplate buckles with my knee cause my knee feels like someone took a crowbar to it. it's all scraped up and bruised but luckily it was on the inside and i can walk fine. and rode after even. and oh!!!! we did the ditch and wall. sorta.. a baby ditch with a log on the backside. whoo hoo. that was easier than just the stupid ditch so hopefully that won't be an issue for us. and my friend gave me a pointer that REALLY worked for me. i was pinching with my knee and losing my lower leg so she told me to ride with my feet out/forward and it TOTALLY worked. it was so much better cause my leg stayed on my horse, my upper body was so much more secure, and... with my leg in place it was easier to bounce fleck's wayward shoulders back in line. so yeah.. it was a good day. fleck got linimented and wrapped for the ride home and is out in the pasture again happy as a clam. so tomorrow we'll hack if my knee's can take it and give him a nice easy day ...or maybe trail ride. but whoo hoo!

anyways.. here's video if you're interested

ooops! it really felt worse than it appears

and...

hope everyone had a happy new year!

It sounds like you and Fleck had a successful day schooling, Holly! Good job challenging your fears. I like the idea of trying to ride out cross country, but 12" - 18" sizes please! Three foot cross country jumps look HUGE compared to a 3' hunter fence. [smile] I freely admit to being a somewhat timid rider, especially over fences. Though the one day I jumped last fall, I found that two years of dressage seems to have cured my habit of jumping ahead. I still don't release correctly, but at least my upper body stays at home.

Good luck today, Holly! Have lots of fun.

Tracy

Wow Holly!!!!!!! You guys look amazing! And I love the opps fence. I have TOTALLY done that before. You are like "Just get me over it nowwwww!" *close eyes* LOL You guys did great and I love how you listen to, Im assuming your trainer on the video, and you do as she says and BAM there it is. You really look lovely. I could see you get more confident and find that groove as the video went on. The last few jumps where she said DONT MOVE were like perfect. Good job!

Tracy, def sounds like a saddle fit issue. Im personally not crazy about the way the back panels sit, or dont sit rather, on his back. Im positive Ann will help you. Shes a good 6-8 hrs from me, so we did all of our talking through email and phone.

dobby, congrats on the lessons. Get some pics to share next time. And thats really sweet of your mom to leave the goodies! Last year, Layla sent my mom an emailed wish list. LOL [Wink]

luv, yeh the 4 wheeler is AWESOME. You should go ride with your friend. Its a blast. Good luck with the pony! I can only imagine how frusterating it is to have to wait and wait. Heres hoping hes sound u/s! Keep us updated

3Day, yes! My bro got a Wii last year and we played it when he was down for Xmas. Its awesome. We only had Wii Sports and Zelda at the time but they are awesome. Hope you get to ride soon!

The cold weather is finally gone. Its going to get up to the mid 60s today and I believe the low is mid to upper 40s. So no more 16 degrees!

The Husband is home so I might hop on Layla again today and try to get him to video me or at least take pics so I can see how shes doing.

Nothing else planned. Happy Saturday!

Just some pics...

My baby Patches is getting SO big! Shes a little over 6 mos now. And shes like a little dog. Follows me everywhere.. and when it gets cold outside, she wears her sweater. haha

-

And the 4 wheeler!

-

Rode Layla... made a post with some pics. Please check em out! [smile]

Here's my attempt at a reply:

Shantel: That's rough with your mother in law, I hope everything works out in the end...does she qualify for social security or disability or anything like that? A lot of times they will pay for a big chunk of meds and stuff...OMG my cats would kill me if I put them in that!

Lauren: Yeah, minimal freakage at this point, I'm just gonna take my sweet time about things before I really make a decision...I've got time. Thanks for the advice!

Holly: Ditto to you what I said to Lauren above...Your videos look so good, you and Fleck are superstars! Wow, work sounds crazy, but I'm glad you like your new job!

McKenzie: YAY sound pony!!!! Hopefullly he stays that way - forgive me, I'm a little out of the loop, have you officially decided whether to buy him?

SOOOOOOO.....not much new here, Vegas is doing well, I solved her skin fungus, her clip is finally growing out, her schooling is going well, I LOVE pony club, and I GOT ANOTHER HORSE!!!!!!! Here's the story:

Yesterday I took Vegas over to my old trainer Pam's to put in a good schooling round over fences and to give her a hot bath for her skin fungus thing. So afterward I had Vegas in the cross-ties and I was talking to Pam and her husband Ric, and somehow the topic came up of horses, and Pam mentioned that Andrea (a mutual friend from 4-H) has a horse she needs to get rid of. I said something like "I might be in the market" and Pam said "She's free!" so she called Andrea for me right away and I got the scoop on the filly - she's a coming two year old arabian filly bred by Pam's old stud before he died, out of Andrea's young broodmare. Both sides of her pedigree are EXCELLENT bloodlines (I'll try to get a link up of her pedigree). The only reason Andrea needs to get rid of her is because right now she is living in Florida for her husband's business. She took her gelding and this filly's (her name is Mercedes-Benz, Macey for short) dam with her and put Macey out to pasture for while she was gone. But when she came home to visit this Christmas it was apparent that Macey was not being cared for properly and she needed to get out of that situation. So she said free to the right home, and I was the right home!

Macey will be two in early March. She should mature to well over 15 hands because all of her lines are naturally tall (including the tallest pure arab in the US or the world or something like that) but right now she needs some groceries on her before she hits her growth spurt, seeing as she's still only about 12HH, but her mom was a late bloomer too. She is dark bay/black right now, but she will grey out and has already started to do so. I don't have any pictures of her right now but I will get some of her as soon as she is here - we don't have her stall ready yet so we didn't bring her home today, but hopefully she'll be here by the end of the week!

Sorry for the novel, but I'm really excited to have a new baby!!

Wow thats awesome about the new baby. Obviously we need pics!

Im sure my MIL does qualify but when you dont have a phone or transportation it gets really difficult to go through the arduous task and application process for SS/D. But we now have someone helping and we assume that she should get it now.

tracy: hee hee. thanks! but.. the jumps look a lot smaller on top of fleck! it makes a difference. It also helps to know that he'll jump anything IF and only IF i ride properly to them. But atleast if i do it right, i know he won't be stupid. and yep.. it's amazing how dressage helps with the jumping [smile] you can do it! did you find out if you get to ride that other horse and jump some?? how fun! keeping my fingers crossed for yah.

shantel: hee hee. yep, it was a total... i'm going darnit!!! oh crap... we went but not very well. oh well. i got OVER it and that was a start! we did have a fairly nice fence that last time. guess it's just the fact that there is a giant ditch under it that scares me. which is sooo stupid cause if it was just the log... no big deal. argh. oh well. awww, thanks so much! she was just a friend but she said like three things to me and they totally totally helped and made a world of a difference. I kept telling her how awesome she was and i wish someone had just told me those things years ago. do'h! oh well. she was super nice and totally hung out with me. i felt sorta bad cause she had other friends there too but she seemed to enjoy it. i loved her commentary too. The whispered awesomes. hee hee. she rocks! and she's smart too. it really helped for me to put my legs just a hair in front of me, put my hands up his neck further and stay still. glad i did what she was telling me. that's good to know [smile] awww, patches is WAY too cute! she still looks like a kitten. and hee hee. every time i put clothes on cats.. .they just fall over. literally.. it paralyzes them. that's soo cool that she likes her sweater! oooh, the four wheeler is COOL!!! we need one of those. but... for now we had to get a ring drag. maybe next year mike will get one for xmas. i bet it was fun muddin'! very fun. you're pics of layla are great. she really doesn't look like she's forgotten anything or you'll have to work too hard to get her back in shape again. she's so elegant and pretty.

megan: HOLYMOLY another horse!!! that's awesome. how fun... we definately need pics! do share do share. are you gonna call her macey? i like that name. it's actually on my list!

so anyways... today was a great day. It's warm again!!! i rode in a t-shirt and actually had to spritz fleck's shoulders off he was sweaty. he was such a good boy. really nice. read my "i love my xmas gift post" for details. but yeah.. he's so good. and shelly your ideas for the walk to canter transition worked! he got it multiple times and at the end it was even starting to get nice [smile] course then he started getting spooky a bit, but we settled nicely. i really like having the ring. it's awesome!!! i'm so excited. i've got a dressage lesson on tuesday. then in two weeks i get to do a clinic with steve milne. who was the cool guy we met at aec's and really liked. i can't believe that karen doesn't have more people signed up, but she really doesn't have that many. so... i get to do dressage and jump [smile] whooo hoo. i'm so excited. then in feb is a local schooling dressage show. and then hopefully in march i'll get to do the rec. at the ARK and go training. still a few scary jumps, but hopefully by then we'll be back in the swing of things. friday was a blast and a good thing for us to have done but i definately need to finesse some stuff before i get back out there competition wise. so yay!!! back to riding again. what else...

oh... i have a dilemma. what would you guys do? the local georgia dressage and combined training association hosts a gala. it's $55 to go and it's dinner. it's formal so i get to/have to dress up. but... i won an award. i'm guessing it has to be in first level schooling cause that's all i qualified for, but i don't know if i won first or sixth and they won't tell me til i get there. i'd have to switch shifts at work to do it. so.... do i go and spend the money and take days off, or do i just pick up my prize later and save the money for showing/clinics etc.

anyways... hope everyone else had a fantastic day also. it doesn't hurt that it's a sunday and for once i get to enjoy a REAl sunday!

holly

So I went with P. to the vet check on the experienced hunter-turned-eventer she was looking to buy. I was figuring an hour or two, but we were at the vets office for five and a half hours. [Eek!] We ran into a combination of unexpected hitches in the lameness check, a late earlier appointment with allergy testing/shots, and an emergency choke case. Quinn is home with us for now, but nothing is final. The vet doing the exam does his lameness checks in the parking lot. Quinn flexed fine, but showed soreness in the right toe. When the right hoof from about the fetlock down was blocked, he presented lame on the l/f. When the l/f hoof was blocked, the lameness was reduced but not eliminated. X-rays of the hooves showed what might or might not be early navicular type changes. Quinn has been sound for his owner, so the vet is thinking the most likely culprit is a bit of inflammation somewhere in/near the hoof due to hard icy ground. Vet's recommendation was 3g/day bute for 1 week, 1.5g bute/day for 4-5 days, no bute for 4-5 days, then recheck. Quinn is at our place for two weeks and we will take care of the bute and make sure to only work lightly on softer surfaces. Assuming he trots fine on the hard surface in a couple weeks, he'll be staying. Keep your fingers crossed.

Quinn is a 13 year old thoroughbred. He's a medium bay, sort of honey colored, with a teeny sock on one leg and a narrow blaze. At 16.3Hh, he is one of the medium-tall horses on the property. He's not short, but he doesn't have the height of the draft and draft crosses at the farm. [smile] After a few years with a young girl doing hunters, Quinn has bounced around some eventer homes. Quinn is an athlete! Talented, but not always easy. When he has a job, plenty to think about, and is lunged before riding he is amazing. Give him too much time to get bored or build up too much steam, and he can buck like a rodeo bronc.

I anticipate several rides on Quinn. He NEEDS frequent work, a job. Quinn likes to test your limits, but if you calmly and gently enforce those limits he behaves fine. But if you don't pay attention and let him push the boundaries, he'll walk all over you. I LIKE this horse. Assuming he stays, he is a resale horse. But for now, I'll have an experienced mount that is not an ancient lesson pony that I can ride while I get back into jumping. I'm hoping to ride him in an occasional hunter show and schooling three phase. If I were to win the lottery, I would seriously consider buying this horse. He'll make me RIDE, but he was cleared in the prior vet check to go through training level eventing. Since a training level cross country course would be enough to make me pee my pants, I'd have plenty to learn from him. [smile] I could see going beginner novice this season and can see myself riding novice once I worked up to it. Training level eventing? I'm not sure about that. I'd have to see how things went as I got more comfortable over cross country obstacles and speeds.

Think good thoughts for Quinn that everything works out. P. tends to get attached to horses, so even though she is unlikely to ride Quinn he may end up staying longer term. So I could have access to a horse to show hunters and eventing for more than just the upcoming show season.

I have to say I am pleased with how my confidence is increasing. A year ago, I would have turned down the chance to ride Quinn on a regular basis. Now I believe that so long as we manage him correctly, I can ride him without getting bucked off or hurt. He can float while trotting on concrete, as we saw during the ppe. I think this horse wants to be an eventer. With the barrels and poles and flags and trails on the property, we can build variety into his routine to keep Quinn from getting bored. So long as we avoid giving him a reason to entertain himself at our expense, Quinn could be a fun and exceptional individual.

Tracy

Here are a few pics of Quinn. The first two are trotting during the flexion tests. The last is after Quinn was tranquilized for x-rays of his hooves -- poor drugged baby!

-

-

-

Tracy

Oh wow! Everyone came back!

Shantel - Oh boy, I hope things settle down on the home front. Oooh cool 4 wheeler, I'm very jealous. What a neato gift! That'll be so much fun to swim with the dolphins and things. Awww she's wearing a sweater, way cute!

Tracy - WOW a new saddle! Sweet! I'm sure Fessor will thank you for it too. Quinn is cute! Hopefully everything resolves itself!

Dobby - Yay! That's exciting about your lessons! Oooh What a lucky boy Spectrum is! Mints all for him.

McKenzie - dang [Frown] I was so looking forward to you buying Teddy! Perhaps they'll still find out what's up.

Holly - Hehe that oops fence [Razz] Sounds like a great session though!

Megan - Holy moly! Another horse! and FREE!! Pictures?? We need pictures as soon as you have them lol.

So I have decided now I'm finished school I will start only doing private lessons. Had my first one this morning and the ride was a trillion times better than before. I'm dying now, and Lightning is wondering why he has to do that much work in a single lesson, but we'll both get stronger and it is so worth it.

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

Things are looking promising with Quinn. I rode him in my lesson last night and he was completely sound. That's significant because he didn't start the bute regimen until AFTER our ride. It was fun! Riding Quinn is part of my ongoing quest to become a more confident rider. I found him quite sensitive, and a few times got more of a reaction than I expected. But he was well behaved. Especially considering that it was his first ride at a new place after not much work since July. I can see why eventers wanted him... lots of motor. [smile] He was a bit confused when I asked for a bit of shoulder in and got a bit anxious. But we managed a bit of very gentle shoulder fore without losing our minds. And though his trot was a hair quick, the canter felt lovely! Nice and balanced and cadenced without rushing. We also did a bit of jumping over an 18" cross rail. Thankfully for me, it wasn't *too* much jumping. I managed to stay on and not hit Quinn in mouth or back. I DO seem to want to float my hands way above the neck though. Hopefully I can fix that before it becomes a habit. On the plus side, my old habits of jumping ahead and not releasing seem to have disappeared in the couple years since I last jumped.

I hope to be able to take Quinn to a schooling three phase by the end of the summer. For now though, I need to regain my comfort level in a hunt saddle and with riding in jumping position. That's just a matter of strength and conditioning though, and will just take some time.

Quinn is quite sensitive, if not always immediately responsive. And too hard a cue/correction will make him a bit mad. I found that simply asking again gently worked better than getting on his case for a too slow response. We need to work transitions, especially downward transitions. And perhaps a bit of desentization about strange sounds. He was noticing the doors blowing in the wind, but fortunately just got a bit distracted. Overall, I was VERY happy with our ride last night. We both have some things to work on, but for a first ride it went quite well. I really need to get back in the hunt saddle on a regular basis so I'm not clamping with my legs and annoying the boy in an attempt to keep my balance. [smile]

Tracy

Generic reply to everyone: Yes, another horse! And a youngn' too... We go to get her Friday and I am super excited, but I have to go out and finish getting her stall ready first!

School started Monday and all I can say is blahhhrrruuuuggghhhmmmmeh. I forgot how much I hate school - and I mean I really HATE school. It's been quite sometime since I've been in an intensive study course, or in a bulk of non-horsey classes, but this term I'm taking 16 credits (five classes) and only one class is animal science, which is just general animal ag. The others are Trigonometry, Writing for Business, Lifetime Health, and Geography of the Nonwestern World...it's pretty much all a major drag, but they're all classes I need to graduate so I might as well get them done now in the term with bad weather so I can take all the fun classes in fall and spring terms when the weather is better. It'll be a long term but I'll make it through.

Well I gotta go work on the barn before my lesson so TTFN

okay i suck... sorry. but... it's my on week at work. so that's my excuse.

anyways... did get to ride today and fleck was great! check out his silly pics on the I love my xmas gift link.

not much else too exciting going on. just getting frustrated with my jumping and lack of confidence...argh..

anyways... have a great weekend!

holly

OK, brief update... Fessor's hooves got very positive feedback. The new/different farrier just barely rasped the hooves for his trim. So our canter issues are NOT hoof issues.

Fessor has an appointment with the chiropractor later this afternoon. We'll find out if there are serious horsie alignment issues that might be contributing to our difficulties.

Saddle fit is an issue, but we are beginning to think that saddle fit is a symptom rather than a cause. Putting our jump saddle on Fessor shows that he has lost a LOT of topline over the past few months. So just for the **** of it, we tried some neuro tests. Fessor knows where his legs are. He sometime will not let you put down a leg crossed over the other, the rest of the time he moves the leg to uncross it right away. Ok, good. Covering his eyes and watching the walk isn't a fair test... [Wink] So I had the trainer lead him while I pulled the tail to the side. Uh oh. I can pull Fessor's hindquarters off his line and KEEP him off his line just by holding onto his tail. So we have a call into the vet and meds on order. Best guess is early EPM. Which we are learning to recognize since three horses at the old place were treated last summer... IF that's the case, then maybe the stress of moving suppressed the immune system enough to cause a problem... Or maybe not -- he was starting to look a bit different shortly before the move. Eh, who knows.

I'll post again this evening after the chiro appointment.

Tracy

Tracy just to let you know, the tail pull test isnt always an neuro test. Turning him in very tight circles and watching how he navigates his hindend is a better test for neuro.

Layla did the same thing Fess did with the tail pull and shes def not neuro. Its her stifles and her hocks. Pulling them over, if they are sore in those areas, can cause them to allow you to pull them over like that. I would bet with the issues you are having with your canter and back soreness, its hocks and/or stifles. I would go ahead and start the 1 shot a week for 8 weeks of Adequan and see if that helps.

Just MHO after spending $1000 to find out the same answer. [smile] I hope thats all it is.

At work right now. We are working our modified schedule today... 7am-1pm straight through. We only work 6 hours but get paid for 9 so thats very cool. The object is to do the same amount of work that we would in 9 (well 8) hours in 6 straight through. Heck I dont mind getting here at 630 if I get to leave at 1!

Took the ponies to the fairgrounds this weekend to have their feet done. The winter series (like a 2 month H/J show with GPs and everything) is here right now and my farrier is there working so I took them over to get them done. There was a LOT of activity and both of them took it in like a champ. Laylas feet are looking awesome and Saturday was 1 month on the Adequan. I was going to ride yesterday but it rained. But I lunged her in a halter on Thursday I believe it was and she did great. No tripping and she wasnt counter bending while tracking right. She even got a springy trot going to the left. I dont think shes going to be 100% to the right until we get her hocks injected due to the bone spavin and more changes on that hock.

How was everyones weekend??

Thanks, Shantel. I'll have someone lead Fess in a small circle while I watch and see what happens. The chiro also said his pelvis was rotated so that could contribute to weakness and uneven muscling. So I'll give Fess a couple days to relax and see if there is any improvement. Last August he flexed fine on both hocks and stifles, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check that again.

It's cold here today, so I don't have much planned. A few errands and some relaxation are the likely events for today. I might drive over to campus and see just how much books are going to run me this semester. I suppose I could start reading if any first assignments are posted yet. We'll see. I confess to feeling fairly lazy this morning. [smile]

Tracy

Hey Tracy, would you mind sending me the name of the person you found who reflocks saddles in Iowa? I've never heard of anyone around here, and while I don't need any of my saddles done at the moment, my little guy is starting to change, so I might be in need of some services later on.

My horses are pretty tired of the frozen ground at the moment. Every time I bring them into the indoor, they feel the need to take advantage of the semi-decent footing and run around like idiots. *sigh* I can't wait until the weather gets nice again.

[ 01-14-2008, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: whoapony01 ]

Just got in from riding Layla. It rained yesterday.. its our "cold" front. Last night it was like 45 and today is a high of like 62 with winds making it feel cooler but tonight is like 33 or cooler depending on where you are. Then I think Wed or Thurs its like an 80% chance of rain. Pooey.

Layla was good. We did a lot of walking.. probably 20-25 mins of it. We did renvers, travers, half pass, leg yield, shoulder in, haunches in all at the walk. Just a few laps each way at the trot as I know that lateral work was hard b/c she had a really nice back swinging forward walk going. Plus its really squishy out b/c of the rain.

Been feeling kinda icky all weekend. I got the Hep B and HPV vaccines last Friday plus its THAT time of the month and then the cold front moving through.. just had my sinuses and everything in an uproar. And then I was clenching my teeth.. dunno why.. maybe Layla or I dunno.. but I have ground down the points on my upper and lower right canines. Oy vey. But I clenched so much that my upper right teeth were throbbing.. but I think it was the clenching and the weather causing pressure b/c they arent hurting today.

I have to go next Friday (25th) for a sonogram to see if I have ovarian cysts or anything that is causing problems during my cycle. Fun stuff. I have to drink 32oz of water 1hr before my appt and then I cant pee and then they are going to be pushing on my stomach! Argh! Sarah had that done and she said it SUCKS b/c you want to pee so badly!

Anyways.. going to enjoy the rest of my long afternoon. Im pretty tired so hopefully Ill sleep well tonight.

Hey guys,

Well I survived the first week of classes...barely...and now I'm in the second week. It's actually not all that bad, but I'm ready for spring term already. But next term I have to take calculus!!! [Me Cry]

In better news Vegas is doing great and we've really started to work on some of the things to get us at first level this spring, like sitting trot (my trainer said I sit like a jumper [Embarrassed] ) and the correct reinback.

Oh yeah, I got my new horsie too, I'll put up another thread on her...eventually...

Shantel, our cold front is coming in this weekend. We are expecting HIGHS of 5 and 8 on Saturday and Sunday respectively. Yuck! In the meantime, we are expecting snow overnight tonight and tomorrow.

Yesterday's lesson was rescheduled. Just as well, since I was up late with a friend who is in a difficult place right now. I wish there was more I can do to help! Hopefully this afternoon I can get some help flexing Fessor's hocks and stifles to see if he shows signs of discomfort. It will also be interesting to see if he does better after the chiro adjustment on Sunday.

I SHOULD clean my apartment, but that isn't much fun...

Tracy

Tracy - Sounds like Quinn is going to be great experience, he sounds like a lovely boy. I hope the chiro fixes Fess right up and it's nothing more than being out of whack.

Megan - Now that's good thinking, taking the boring classes during bad weather!

Shantel - Oh wow! That's a sweet deal you've got at work. Brrrr. That's cold! Hope you feel better soon, and everything goes well at the Dr.

Holly - How's the new job going? Apart from keeping you busy.

Not much going on here.. the weather is crazy and we're missing out on summer. So far this week I've worn a coat and jeans, a tank top and shorts, and wet weather gear and it's only Thursday.... *sigh*

I think we've lost some people from our chit chat thread [Frown] I hope they didn't get lost....

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there! [smiley Wavey]